PDA

View Full Version : Would any of you put up with a Steeler if he did Favre's act?

BlastFurnace
07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I want to say no, but what if we had a guy who was considered the face of the franchise that was this wishy washy. I'm not sure the answer would be that easy.

Granted, Favre might be the most indecisive athlete I have ever seen, but he does produce at a high level when he plays and he isn't hurt.

How do you think the Steelers Nation would react?

STEELtownHAVOX
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Hmmmm, during my life time I can't recall anything to similar to Favre. Maybe the Faneca ordeal? But I would let him walk. Steelers are great and finding placers that produce the equal to or even better than there predecessor.

BlastFurnace
07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm, during my life time I can't recall anything to similar to Favre. Maybe the Faneca ordeal? But I would let him walk. Steelers are great and finding placers that produce the equal to or even better than there predecessor.

I have a feeling how Tomlin would react, but what about the fanbase. I have some Packers fans that were really divided on what to do with Favre last year.

fansince'76
07-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I know the Rooneys wouldn't put up with it, and that's ultimately who really matters. It's partially the Packers' FO's fault for enabling the "will I/won't I/will I/won't I" behavior for as long as they did.

steelreserve
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
No.

Actually, wait. Hell no.

Even if we were desperate for a quarterback (like we were for 20-some years), Favre isn't a franchise QB anymore. And at the age where a guy can retire and then un-retire, you mostly find big names on the downside of their career, which the Steelers specialize in not signing. If you have a guy like that who's a drama queen to boot, it's going to cause more trouble than it's worth.

T Bradshaw
07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Favre is making the Vikings org and decision makers look super STUPID!!!

STEELtownHAVOX
07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a feeling how Tomlin would react, but what about the fanbase. I have some Packers fans that were really divided on what to do with Favre last year.

I think a lot of fans were tired of Faneca complaining about the contract. So i would say we wouldn't put up with it.

BlastFurnace
07-24-2009, 04:09 PM

What he is doing to the Vikings right now is basically taking charge of the team without actually being on the team yet.

I have always heard from friends of mine who are Vikes fans that their HC was not a leader....but this seals it. What kind of message does this send to the rest of the team?

Dino 6 Rings
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
We've seen a lot of players we love play in other uniforms, so I think most Steelers fans would be able to deal with it, as long as the guy didn't come back to kills us in a playoff game.

Godfather
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM

Word is the Vikes are literally begging Brett to unretire and he's not sure he wants to.

There's nothing out of the ordinary about players having a hard time deciding. The only thing about Brett is he's a QB and not a receiver or running back. The nature of the position is different.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't stand for it.

And if it's true that the Packers last year gave him a chance to come out of retirement and he balked, only to decide a week before training camp he wanted to return after the Packers officially handed the reigns of the team to Rogers.

Now he retired from the Jets to become a free agent and play for Green Bay division rival Minnesota, IMHO simply to spite the Packers coaches and management.

If he goes through with it, we may never see his jersey retired in Green Bay. And if so, it may take as long to get it done as it took to get Terry Bradshaw back in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

I don't think the Steelers ownership would have let him hold the team hostage like he did for all those years in Green Bay.

triphahn
07-24-2009, 05:43 PM
The Vikings are creating a bad situation for themselves. Going after a player who is not sure he wants to play and at the same time destroying your current QB's faith and loyalty a la jake cutler. No way it happens in Pittsburgh.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2009, 06:37 PM
The Vikings are creating a bad situation for themselves. Going after a player who is not sure he wants to play and at the same time destroying your current QB's faith and loyalty a la jake cutler. No way it happens in Pittsburgh.

Eh, this situation is a little bit different.

The Broncos were trying to trade for a QB who wanted to play, and the coach felt fit his system better than Cutler.

Tavaris Jackson has never proved he can be a consistently productive QB. He'll throw two TD's in one game, and the three INT's in the next game, or quarter for that matter.

Favre reached out to them as much as they reached out to Favre.

Jackson isn't of the statute of Cutler, and if he were to demand a trade the fans wouldn't be as irate in Minnesota as the fans in Denver were when Cutler was shipped to Chicago.

MasterOfPuppets
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM

:toofunny: ... have you seen jackson play ? he's a suckier version of kordell !! if i was a viking fan, i'd be send farve letters BEGGING him to come to minnesota. this is booty's second year ... maybe its time for a booty call. there certainly isn't any future in sage rosie.

Texasteel
07-24-2009, 07:49 PM
NFL NEWS 2035

After exploring all his options QB Favre will not come out of retirement to sign with he's 23rd team. The funeral will be held on Saturday,

AllD
07-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I know the Rooneys wouldn't put up with it, and that's ultimately who really matters. It's partially the Packers' FO's fault for enabling the "will I/won't I/will I/won't I" behavior for as long as they did.

The Rooney's would listen for about 3 seconds and then send him down the road.

Preacher
07-24-2009, 11:32 PM

Exactly.

Rooney's would probably say, "You're retired. Have a nice day" and then release him. . .

jasonhightower
07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Exactly.

Rooney's would probably say, "You're retired. Have a nice day" and then release him. . .

I think your absolutely right. I would lose interest about as fast as I have on this one. My first Steelers home game is gonna be against Minnesota, 10/25, and I already realized that even if he signs with them he won't be "upright" at that point in the season anyway.

Preacher
07-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I think your absolutely right. I would lose interest about as fast as I have on this one. My first Steelers home game is gonna be against Minnesota, 10/25, and I already realized that even if he signs with them he won't be "upright" at that point in the season anyway.

That's not to say I don't respect what the man has done, or even the fact that he is probably STILL one of the mid to upper mid starting QB's in the game today. however, his games, going back and forth is what th eproblem is.

jasonhightower
07-25-2009, 12:21 AM
That's not to say I don't respect what the man has done, or even the fact that he is probably STILL one of the mid to upper mid starting QB's in the game today. however, his games, going back and forth is what th eproblem is.

Yeah, I think there may only be a few teams Favre can truly help make contendors... and maybe Minnesota is one of them. But I've got to think that he is best suited for a team that is literally "almost there" with maybe a 20% increase in QB play. Because I don't see him as a difference maker anymore, but merely a slight upgrade in the right system.

tucker6
07-25-2009, 04:53 AM
No.

Favre isn't a franchise QB anymore.
You're wrong in this statement. Childress told us last week that Bret was still a Top 5 QB in this very NF of L. At first, I thought he was crazy, but when you work it backwards, it makes sense. Think Bottom Five QB. :rofl:

Childress blows me away. He'd rather sink that team to give Bret another shot. I don't understand. :banging:

Galax Steeler
07-25-2009, 06:14 AM
I have to say that Farve is not a top five quarterback. He makes to many mistakes and is loosing his touch from what he used to be.

triphahn
07-25-2009, 06:06 PM
:toofunny: ... have you seen jackson play ? he's a suckier version of kordell !! if i was a viking fan, i'd be send farve letters BEGGING him to come to minnesota. this is booty's second year ... maybe its time for a booty call. there certainly isn't any future in sage rosie.

Not comparing their skills just that if Brett does not come you are left with Jackson who now feels unappreciated by the FO.

rick723
07-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Favre has devided the Vikes, just as TO did to the 49'ers. Philly and Dallas. Min will be lucky to go 8-8 this year. With or without all the yes, no stuff.

BlastFurnace
07-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Not comparing their skills just that if Brett does not come you are left with Jackson who now feels unappreciated by the FO.

Jackson should be thankful he is on their roster. He's another athlete trying to play QB. He's not an NFL caliber QB by any stretch of the imagination.

rick723
07-25-2009, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't stand for it.

And if it's true that the Packers last year gave him a chance to come out of retirement and he balked, only to decide a week before training camp he wanted to return after the Packers officially handed the reigns of the team to Rogers.

Now he retired from the Jets to become a free agent and play for Green Bay division rival Minnesota, IMHO simply to spite the Packers coaches and management.

If he goes through with it, we may never see his jersey retired in Green Bay. And if so, it may take as long to get it done as it took to get Terry Bradshaw back in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

I don't think the Steelers ownership would have let him hold the team hostage like he did for all those years in Green Bay.

Like Little Johnny's mother said when the teacher called her in for Johnny's cussing " I don't eat that sh*t!" Talking about candy she handed out, mom said in front of the class, "EF him then, don't give him none!" Sounded a lot funnier in my head:tt: :rofl:

HometownGal
07-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Spot on Gary. :thumbsup:

The Packers created the flip-floppin' monster known as Brett Favre.

Though I truly do appreciate all that Brett has given to the game, as a fan I would be appalled at his indecisiveness, AW'ing, and the overall effect it has to have on the team as a whole.

St33lersguy
07-26-2009, 09:51 AM
No way! One just can't keep changing their mind a countless number of times. It puts the team in a tough spot. I don't care who the person is, they can't keep putting a team in that kind of tough situation.

TackleMeBen
07-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Favre has devided the Vikes, just as TO did to the 49'ers. Philly and Dallas. Min will be lucky to go 8-8 this year. With or without all the yes, no stuff.
well, the good thing for Minnosota is they play in a pretty weak division...i am picking the lions to win the NCFN this season....j/k :rofl:

SteelCityMom
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM

I can understand Packers fans being on the fence about it. Favre played very well his last season with them, I think everyone was surprised to see him sign with a different team.

If it was someone on the Steelers who was performing consistently well, I wouldn't mind the run around for a little while, Favre is just taking it too far this year though. Coming off a mediocre year with some injuries, I'd say screw it and find someone to build a team around, not someone who's old, indecisive, expensive and possibly won't be able to play a full season.

fansince'76
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I can understand Packers fans being on the fence about it. Favre played very well his last season with them, I think everyone was surprised to see him sign with a different team.

If it was someone on the Steelers who was performing consistently well, I wouldn't mind the run around for a little while, Favre is just taking it too far this year though. Coming off a mediocre year with some injuries, I'd say screw it and find someone to build a team around, not someone who's old, indecisive, expensive and possibly won't be able to play a full season.

He's pulled the same crap for at least 5 or 6 straight offseasons now. It's really nothing new, he's just jerking around a different team is all that's changed. And again, there's no way the Rooneys would put up with it.