PDA

View Full Version : Steelers short yardage man could be Frank Summers

mesaSteeler
07-25-2009, 09:41 AM
[(Admins -FYI I keep getting a lot of database errors when I try an post and then I have to repeat the post. Yunis might want to check into it since it could indicate that there could be a problem. PM me for more details. - mesa)

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Steelers-short-yardage-man-could-be-Frank-Summers

B]Steelers short yardage man could be Frank Summers[/B]
July 24, 11:07 PM

It wasn't long ago that Dan Kreider was key player in the Steeler offensive scheme.

A true blue collar athlete, Kreider, a fullback, loved nothing more than smash-mouth football and clearing the rushing lanes for Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker. He played the game with a linebackers mentality.

The Steelers may have found the next Kreider and then some in rookie Frank Summers. Frank Summers

Although Summers, who was drafted by the team in the fifth round is listed as a running back on the roster, he is a bruiser at 241 pounds, and could do some damage clearing the running lanes.

Currently Carey Davis is the only fullback listed on the roster heading into to Training Camp, which begins next week.

Summers wont touch the ball like a Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall or Mewelde Moore does, but he brings a unique aspect to the offense that can wreak havoc on an opposing defense, one that has not been seen in Pittsburgh since the days of Jerome Bettis.

"This is a guy, when he’s on the field, what package are you going to put out there, defensively?," Steeler running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. " Are you going to count him as a fullback? Are we in two-back? Or are you going to count him as just a halfback – do we have two halfbacks in the ball game?"

Summers reminds many of a LenDale White type of player, big and stocky, a guy who is capable of getting it into the endzone anytime he touches the ball near the goaline.

Meaning with Gary Russell gone, Summers could become the new short yardage back.

In two seasons at UNLV, Summers rushed for 1,668 yards and had 14 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 36 passes for 402 yards and six touchdowns.

"Whatever the team needs me to do I think I’m able to do it," Summers said. " Whether it’s blocking for someone behind me to get into the end zone or to carry it in myself or receiving it out of the backfield myself. As well as playing special teams – I’m very passionate about the game and I just love the contact and I love to win. I’ll do whatever it takes to win."

Steelers Notebook:

My good friend Mike Bires was one of the few Steeler beat guys at the South Side Practice Facility when Ben Roethlisberger issued his statement about allegations against him yesterday afernoon.

Unlike most of the TMZ style journalism garbage being written or talked about in this situation, Bires wrote one of the better pieces and it is well worth a read.

He called his column Surreal World, Pittsburgh. It's well worth the read. (I will post Surreal World in the Ben sued thread. - mesa)

*Also for another great take on the situation,WPXI has a story where a woman who deals in body language analyzed the tape and said Roethlisberger is not lying.

*Finally, Make sure to check out these Pittsburgh Sports Examiners. All have regular beats with the team or specialty they cover and each bring with them to the table many years of experience covering their topics.

AllD
07-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I wonder what a backfield with Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore in the same play would look like?

mesaSteeler
07-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I wonder what a backfield with Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore in the same play would look like?

Touchdown Steelers!!!!

mulldog24
07-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Really hope Summers works out I like his versatility.

fansince'76
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Summers reminds many of a LenDale White type of player....

Hope not - not interested in a loudmouthed, showboating fatass who coughs up the ball in the red zone during playoff games....

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I still dont think Summers is gonna dress that often in a crowded backfield. He essentially replaces Gary Russell as the #4 RB and will only dress if he shows he can take the roster spot of Carey Davis (please, please do) by blocking and playing special teams.

onefortheotherhand
07-26-2009, 12:23 AM
lol watch frank the tank become the next great steelers running back...

Gnutella
07-26-2009, 12:29 AM
I want Frank Summers to replace Carey Davis at the very least. He might even get positive yardage out of screen passes.

Psyychoward86
07-26-2009, 01:36 AM
THIS is what i'd like to see out of him. A bone crushing fullback. I dont know why so many people are in panic mode about us not having (supposedly) a beloved powerback. We got Mendy for that. Summers would look good sharing a few carries, but someone's got to do the dirty work. Doesn't anyone miss having a Dan Kreider type of FB?

Steeldude
07-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Summers reminds many of a LenDale White type of playe

that comment made me sick. i hope summers is nothing like white at all. a stiff breeze will knock the gelatinous white over

The Duke
07-26-2009, 06:40 AM
hmm....we'll see. the steelers still seem to love carey davis, for some reason....

If mendy, willie and moore and stay healthy I doubt Frank even steps on the field as a runnningback

concentrate on special teams boy! next year I could see him doing lots of damage to defenses :tt03:

mmalone
07-26-2009, 07:35 AM
why would the steelers pick a 7th/FA round pick in the 5th round that is listed at 243lb to be a #4 rb? or a running back at all?

they selected him to be the next great steeler fullback. its up to frank now to prove them right.

hes a FB all the way....

we will see soon..... Aug 13th is around the corner.

Texasteel
07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
hmm....we'll see. the steelers still seem to love carey davis, for some reason....

If mendy, willie and moore and stay healthy I doubt Frank even steps on the field as a runnningback

concentrate on special teams boy! next year I could see him doing lots of damage to defenses :tt03:

That exactly what a few of us are trying to say, Duke. Some are talking like this kid is our 1st round pick. He will have his hands full just making this team. I'd love to see him on the field this year, but I really don't think so.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Hopefully he will get some playing time this year all he can do is go out and play hard and see where that gets him.

Texasteel
07-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Hopefully he will get some playing time this year all he can do is go out and play hard and see where that gets him.

Thats exactly what he needs to do, and that what they want to see out of him. Even if we don't see him much this year, don't get down on the kid. I think next year could be his year.

Edman
07-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Summers is comparable to Lendale White? That's not a compliment. That's an insult.

Lendale White is not a power back, he's just mediocre back who just happens to be fat. He falls at the pile, has poor discipline, and poor ball carrying skills. He's a waste of fat that plays on one-year wonder team for an overrated Head Coach and a crap hick fanbase.

mmalone
07-27-2009, 09:51 AM
That exactly what a few of us are trying to say, Duke. Some are talking like this kid is our 1st round pick. He will have his hands full just making this team. I'd love to see him on the field this year, but I really don't think so.

i dont get it.... i guess. he has the best chance of all 9 draft picks to be on the field this year... he fills 2 holes on the team.... the other picks need 1 to 2 years to make it and learn, like our 2008 and 2007 picks... mendy was a RB... he came out and played.. RB's and FB's can start quicker than all the other positions. your either good or your not, but you start.. just like mendy... last year he fumbled twice and got hurt. this year hes still a rookie.. they just have not had him carry the ball around in the off season like last year... well maybe next week.

they picked summers in the 5th instead of chancing him in the 7th for a reason...

he will be a special teams player, some one on our draft crew seen something for sure..

one other thing..

this year when he crashes one in from the 3 yard line. keep note of me telling all you people the same story. because i know there will be a bunch of "i knew it" , " i called it" people popping out of the shadows on this one....

and if im wrong.... im wrong... 80% shot im not.

hes a beast with power..... davis has no chance to be #1 FB this year.

summers will be the FB this year... Aug 13th coming soon......

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, I sure hope Summers ends up being the short yardage guy, because everyone else we have sucks at it.

I'm really hopeful that he'll be that missing element we've been lacking for three years: just a stocky guy who's hard to bring down. That's a pretty basic need for a football team, and I still have a hard time comprehending that an NFL team could not find a guy like that for so long.

fansince'76
07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
hes a beast with power..... davis has no chance to be #1 FB this year.

summers will be the FB this year... Aug 13th coming soon......

I truly hope Davis is pushed out the door by Summers in TC. :hope:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Me too...The fact that Davis is "not quite a Fullback...and not quite a short yardage back"...means that he'd "not quite" a fit for our system.

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Me too...The fact that Davis is "not quite a Fullback...and not quite a short yardage back"...means that he'd "not quite" a fit for our system.

That's being pretty generous. I would've gone with something more like "He's a fullback and a short-yardage back -- he just sucks at both."

Dino 6 Rings
07-27-2009, 12:20 PM
I think Frank will be getting a load of carries in the preseason and basically, if he shows he's good enough, he'll get a roster spot. Its just like what Willie did, no one expected crap from him, in the preseason he lit it up his rookie year and they couldn't justify letting him drop off the roster.

With McHugh as the "H" back/Full Back already, Davis is looking less likely like the guy who makes the team. Summers and Davis will both get lots of carries in the Pre Season, that battle for the last RB Roster Spot is going to be brutal for the teams we are playing against!

Fire Haley
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I really hope he isn't like Lendale "Butterball" White - I don't want him fumbling away a playoff game.

KeiselPower99
07-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Unless Tank takes over the FB spot I dont think he plays much. I really hope he does though.

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't really care how much he plays, as long as he's there to do his job when we need him. If he gets two carries a game but they're both key first downs on third-and-1, that's good enough for me. If he turns out to be a bruiser who works his way into the regular rotation, even better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2009, 06:19 PM
i dont get it.... i guess. he has the best chance of all 9 draft picks to be on the field this year... he fills 2 holes on the team.... the other picks need 1 to 2 years to make it and learn,

I would say several other draft picks have a better shot of contributing than Summers:
1. Kraig Urbik could easily replace Stapleton at RB.
2. Keenan Lewis could become the dime corner.....the kid is THAT good.
3. Ziggy Hood could replace Travis Kirschke as a rotational DE and be in on pass rushing downs.

Summers will be the #4 RB and if he replaces Davis, as I hope he will..........he becomes a rookie FB on a team that has devalued the FB position. Summers was drafted with the future in mind. Mendenhall, Summers, Logan may be a big part of the Steelers RB future.

pancake
07-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I think Summers is in and Davis is out... We have the 3rd string TE that also blocks better than Davis.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
I think Summers is in and Davis is out... We have the 3rd string TE that also blocks better than Davis.

I dont get the great fascination with Summers as a FB. :noidea: He was a RB at UNLV. Nobody has seen him block in a college game in years, so there is no way they decide to let him do it for the Steelers opening day.

McHugh will probably have to line up as FB if Davis is cut. But, I think Davis will make the roster .......just to further piss me off. Just rewatched the playoff game vs the chargers and man is Davis useless.

LVSteelersfan
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Man, I just can't stand Davis. I was totally surprised he made the team last year. He is basically useless. Summers can catch the ball out of the backfield and make yards with it. It was part of the reason the Steelers drafted him. PLEASE STEELER COACHES. Let Davis go find a new team. We don't want him. We don't need him. Stop wasting a roster spot on a mediocre FB.

Preacher
07-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I think Davis dresses and plays this year, as does McHugh, and Summers is a scratch, unless he can prove himself on special teams.

Now, if there is an injury, or if Summers just explodes as a SYB, then he may suit up. But I don't look for much in the first year. Actually, I think they will be focused on Mendy as the SYB

Galax Steeler
07-28-2009, 04:39 AM

I am with you on this one fansince.