PDA

View Full Version : Steelers P Sepulveda eager for return

mesaSteeler
07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Steelers P Sepulveda eager for return
http://profootballweekly.com/2009/07/25/steelers-p-sepulveda-eager-for-return

Posted July 25, 2009 @ 8:53 a.m.
By Mike Wilkening

Steelers P Daniel Sepulveda’s troublesome right knee is “finally just getting to feel solid again,” as he put it recently. And Sepulveda, who missed all of last season but was healthy enough to punt in the spring, is eager to return to game action.

“Training camp is not something you normally look forward to,” Sepulveda told PFW in July. “It’s a little different this time around.”

Sepulveda, who is left-footed, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee twice in a little more than two years and first suffered the injury in the spring of 2006 while at Baylor. He underwent surgery, but he suffered a scare not long thereafter after he stood up and the knee “kind of slid on me,” he said. He had an MRI on the knee, but while no tear was found, the knee never felt quite right to Sepulveda.

“It was just loose,” he said. “And really, it was just a matter of time before it happened again.”

Still, Sepulveda had a strong senior season at Baylor, and the Steelers selected him in the fourth round of the ’07 draft. The knee held up through Sepulveda’s first NFL season, when he posted a respectable 37.9-yard net average. But it gave out last July, and Sepulveda elected to have season-ending surgery. In April, the meniscus was removed from his right knee, but Sepulveda said it was a routine procedure. He also feels fortunate that the surgeries have been on his right knee, not his left.

“All I’ve got to do is stick it in the ground,” Sepulveda said of his right leg. “It’s my plant leg. In a lot of ways, it is a blessing.”

The injury behind him, Sepulveda’s focus is to improve upon his ’07 play, which he says was not up to his standard.

“I just got a little tight,” Sepulveda said. “I was holding on to the ball a little too long, which is not the way I was at Baylor, and that’s not the way I’m going to be.”

Sepulveda said he’s more comfortable entering this season than he was in ’07, when he was a rookie playing a position in which teams have been known to quickly make a change if expectations aren’t being met. To Sepulveda, an increase in comfort level can only lead to an increase in performance.

He also expects a return to form in short order.

“I’ve been punting my whole life,” Sepulveda said. “It’s something my body and nervous system know how to do.”

Kickoff is coming! Be sure to buy copies of the Pro Football Weekly/Yahoo! Sports 2009 NFL preview magazine, as well as the Pro Football Weekly/Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football Guide 2009, both of which are now available at bookstores, newsstands and retail outlets where magazines are sold. Or order your copies online at PFWStore.com

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 10:07 AM
i think he isnt the only one that is eager for his return..... HTG...lol... i know she will be happy to see him back in uniform and on the field.:chuckle::wink02:

stillers4me
07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
HTG is not the only one happy to see Sep back on the field for more reason that one. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
stillers... i didnt know you liked looking at his guns :wink02::chuckle:

stillers4me
07-25-2009, 10:41 AM
stillers... i didnt know you liked looking at his guns :wink02::chuckle:

I hadn't even gotten to his guns yet...but I'll let you know..unless you really meant "buns". :wink02:

PalmerSteel
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
you guys hear the new rule? no more wedges on special teams, so worst case scenario i think this will bring the elite ST teams back down to our level. special teams has been our biggest weakness for the past 5 years IMO.

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I hadn't even gotten to his guns yet...but I'll let you know..unless you really meant "buns". :wink02:
so you havent made it above the waistline yet???:toofunny::wink02:
no i didnt mean buns i meant guns.

fansince'76
07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
you guys hear the new rule? no more wedges on special teams, so worst case scenario i think this will bring the elite ST teams back down to our level. special teams has been our biggest weakness for the past 5 years IMO.

Uhhh, we were ranked #1 and #4 in the NFL in kickoff and punt coverage, respectively, last season....

The Steelers finished 2008 with the AFC's No. 1 special teams in both kick- and punt-return defense. They finished as the NFL's No. 1 in kickoff defense and No. 4 in punt defense, a hefty hike from Nos. 16 and 14 in those respective categories a year ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09009/940646-66.stm

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 10:47 AM
that doesnt matter, i wouldnt want to be returning the kick and have Sepulveda waiting to tackle me.

tony hipchest
07-25-2009, 10:55 AM
sitting on the bench and watching the other 2 punters we had in there, has got to give him a world of confidence.

stillers4me
07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
sitting on the bench and watching the other 2 punters we had in there, has got to give him a world of confidence.

Not to mention extremely frustrating.

PalmerSteel
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Uhhh, we were ranked #1 and #4 in the NFL in kickoff and punt coverage, respectively, last season....

i didnt know that. thanks for the info. there wasnt any room for returns by the other teams because a lot of the punts were crappy and short so i think that has something to do with it though.

stillers4me
07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
i didnt know that. thanks for the info. there wasnt any room for returns by the other teams because a lot of the punts were crappy and short so i think that has something to do with it though.

Three cheers to special teams and the Steelers D for keeping the damage to a minimum. :drink:

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
maybe to be safe, tomlin should have harrison and sepulveda practice together, you never know...lol

HometownGal
07-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I think I'm gonna get out my Danny Sep blow-up doll and do some celebrating! :lust: :lust: :wink02::chuckle:

I really believe Danny is going to have a good season and contribute greatly to the success of our ST's. Hell - look how well our ST's did with Berger back there. :horror:

Welcome back Sep! :drink::applaudit:

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 04:01 PM
I think I'm gonna get out my Danny Sep blow-up doll and do some celebrating! :lust: :lust: :wink02::chuckle:

dont bust it HTG...lol:chuckle:

i bet you cant wait to see him at TC:tt02:

Kaeg
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Whew! Is it getting hot in here?

Busforever
07-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I would not be happy to see Sepulveda back on the field.
No one should be happy to see a 3rd down missed. But... If we have to, Sepulveda should be one of the best punters in the NFL:flap:

fansince'76
07-25-2009, 08:24 PM
there wasnt any room for returns by the other teams because a lot of the punts were crappy and short so i think that has something to do with it though.

That doesn't explain why our kickoff coverage made an even bigger improvement and jumped 15 spots (as opposed to 10 spots for punt coverage) from 2007 to 2008 as well. I think the fact that Tomlin actually made STs a point of emphasis when he became HC had a whole lot more to do with it.

X-Terminator
07-25-2009, 08:50 PM

I really believe Danny is going to have a good season and contribute greatly to the success of our ST's. Hell - look how well our ST's did with Berger back there. :horror:

Welcome back Sep! :drink::applaudit:

Yeah, it looks like I'm going have to bring my collar and chain with me when we go to TC, otherwise I'll have to bail you out of jail that night for, uh, "roughing the kicker." :wink02::chuckle:

stillers4me
07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it looks like I'm going have to bring my collar and chain with me when we go to TC, otherwise I'll have to bail you out of jail that night for, uh, "roughing the kicker." :wink02::chuckle:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

TackleMeBen
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
XT, do you really think a collar and chain is going to hold HTG back???:chuckle:

memphissteelergirl
07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
XT, do you really think a collar and chain is going to hold HTG back???:chuckle:

Off hand...I'd have to say no :chuckle:

onefortheotherhand
07-25-2009, 11:18 PM
the only play i remeber of berger is when he ran down a returner and flung his arms around him and caused a fumble...but it went outa bounds

Psyychoward86
07-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Lol, every girl on the forum gets an orgy everytime we talk about Dan.

mmalone
07-26-2009, 06:56 AM
That doesn't explain why our kickoff coverage made an even bigger improvement and jumped 15 spots (as opposed to 10 spots for punt coverage) from 2007 to 2008 as well. I think the fact that Tomlin actually made STs a point of emphasis when he became HC had a whole lot more to do with it.

did we get a new special teams coach after 2006/2007??

Texasteel
07-26-2009, 07:07 AM
It's going to be great having a punter again that can kick the ball further than I can throw it.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2009, 07:16 AM
I hope he has a solid year he has to be better then the punter we had last year.

TackleMeBen
07-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Off hand...I'd have to say no :chuckle:
i think you may be right..lol:wink02:

otherwise I'll have to bail you out of jail that night for, uh, "roughing the kicker."
anyone know how much bail is set for 'roughing the kicker'?' :rofl:

Psyychoward86
07-26-2009, 09:51 AM
did we get a new special teams coach after 2006/2007??

Ligasheky came in '07

stillers4me
07-26-2009, 10:27 AM
i think you may be right..lol:wink02:

anyone know how much bail is set for 'roughing the kicker'?' :rofl:

I don't know what the bail is but Goodell will create another new rule to protect Marsha. :laughing:

Preacher
07-26-2009, 11:51 AM

Yep...

though I still cringe everytime the special teams goes out onto the field... every time we field a kickoff or punt,

and every time the ball is thrown against us. Some things are just too ingrained!! :chuckle:

stillers4me
07-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Yep...

though I still cringe everytime the special teams goes out onto the field... every time we field a kickoff or punt,

and every time the ball is thrown against us. Some things are just too ingrained!! :chuckle:

I still hold my breath while Ben steps back to throw the ball..........Interception! :chuckle:

triphahn
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM

#4 in punt coverage. Must of been some of those 20 to 30 yard shanks that could not be returned that boosted the average.

sherlock
07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Even to my uninitiated eyes the punt/kickoff coverage was very good although they seem to have problems with Mathis and Cribbs the last couple of seasons since I`ve been watching NFL.

TackleMeBen
07-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't know what the bail is but Goodell will create another new rule to protect Marsha. :laughing:
the sad part is i think you could be right :wink02:

HometownGal
07-26-2009, 04:14 PM

rrrrrrrawrrrrrrr! :chuckle:

alittlejazzbird
07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
i think he isnt the only one that is eager for his return..... HTG...lol... i know she will be happy to see him back in uniform and on the field.:chuckle::wink02:

I'll totally second that! Any chance he could play shirtless? :wink02:

TackleMeBen
07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
if that was the case, poor XT would need a cage to put HTG in for her own safety :wink02:

HometownGal
07-26-2009, 07:57 PM

He's got some awesome guns, but I'm a leg kind of gal and love those muscular gams. :lust: :naughty:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YWWu1TZgc7A/RmbhUrgIKuI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/Q-75XrcVxkI/s320/dansepulhot3.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fTT9xlgZ9CU/SLVppS38wvI/AAAAAAAAJQ8/m18iEWeKP80/s400/DanielSepulveda1.jpg

Psyychoward86
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
#4 in punt coverage. Must of been some of those 20 to 30 yard shanks that could not be returned that boosted the average.

LOL. Sad thing is, I think it's the truth :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-27-2009, 05:20 AM
I think Sepulvedas return is HUGE. I still find it hard to believe that we won the SB with the obvious injury-related deficiencies we had at several positions (Punter...Right Guard...Running Back... etc.)

At the onset of this year, our team is stronger then that with which we won our 6th Lombardi. Of course there are a ton of variables that go into each season which determine who the World Champions are going to be....but WOW...you have to like our chances.

Sepulveda's return alone helps immediately by providing better field position. With our defense, you have to believe this is going to result in less points scored by opposing teams.

TackleMeBen
07-27-2009, 09:06 AM
He's got some awesome guns, but I'm a leg kind of gal and love those muscular gams. :lust: :naughty:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YWWu1TZgc7A/RmbhUrgIKuI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/Q-75XrcVxkI/s320/dansepulhot3.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fTT9xlgZ9CU/SLVppS38wvI/AAAAAAAAJQ8/m18iEWeKP80/s400/DanielSepulveda1.jpg
i think i might have to make that last pic my wall paper now. he has a cute smile:wink02:..oh yeah and the legs arent bad either :chuckle:

Preacher
07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Well,

Suffice it to say I too am eager for Sep to return, but undoubtedly, not for all the reasons some of our um.. fans of the opposite sex... are so eager.

:chuckle:

ReedsGirl3
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
i think i might have to make that last pic my wall paper now. he has a cute smile:wink02:..oh yeah and the legs arent bad either :chuckle:

I'm so happy Daniel will be back... for his punting abilities...

but i do have to say that we have the hottest kicker/punter duo in hte NFL! :hug:

HometownGal
07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm so happy Daniel will be back... for his punting abilities...

but i do have to say that we have the hottest kicker/punter duo in hte NFL! :hug:

AMEN to that! :lust: :thumbsup: And besides being sexy as hell, they both have damned good legs (referring to their positions, of course :wink:)!

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/3102/800/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_762908.jpg

stillers4me
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM
No..words......needed..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/DanielSepulveda9.jpg

ReedsGirl3
07-30-2009, 10:26 PM
complete sexiness!

don't forget those eyes!

lovin' our kickin' duo!

memphissteelergirl
09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
No..words......needed..........