PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Madison is glad he stuck with the Steelers last season

mesaSteeler
07-25-2009, 08:54 PM
From "7 points: New draft schedule trying to build buzz"
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9851016/7-points:-New-draft-schedule-trying-to-build-buzz

Point 2: Sometimes you're better off not going with your initial gut reaction just ask Steelers cornerback Anthony Madison.

Anthony Madison is glad he stuck with the Steelers last season. (Gregory Shamus / Getty Images)

Last time I spoke with the personable fourth-year player out of the University of Alabama, he told me that if he had strictly followed the money right out of college, he would have signed with the Houston Texans rather than the Pittsburgh Steelers following the 2006 NFL Draft.

Madison had offers from a few clubs as an undrafted free agent, and the Texans' offer included a signing bonus that was $3,000 higher than any other offer. Being a typical college student who was strapped for cash, he was ready to sign with Houston to give himself a better financial start.

But when he and his agent dove deeper and looked at where his best opportunity would be, he signed with the Steelers instead. As a result, the $3,000 sacrifice paid off with a Super Bowl ring at the end of his third NFL season.

If you ask me, that's a pretty good trade-off.

(Rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)

MasterOfPuppets
07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
If you ask me, that's a pretty good trade-off.
well that and getting to see what a successful organization is like...

AllD
07-25-2009, 09:10 PM
$3,000 is what some players pay for dinner and drinks for family and friends for a night. I would pay $3,000 to play in one game for the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I always thought when Madison was a rookie that he would replace Chidi Iwuoma as the ST ace.

Now, I think Joe Burnett is going to replace Anthony Madison on the roster this season.

The Duke
07-26-2009, 06:29 AM
I always thought when Madison was a rookie that he would replace Chidi Iwuoma as the ST ace.

Now, I think Joe Burnett is going to replace Anthony Madison on the roster this season.

Sad but true. Joe does give the steelers an added dimension with punt returns....

I bet the browns or ravens pick him up if he's cut :banging:

Galax Steeler
07-26-2009, 08:00 AM
That is good to hear not getting greedy with money and winning a ring.

mulldog24
07-26-2009, 10:03 AM
That's a great trade IMHO, $3000 for a ring and a superbowl bonus you betcha!!!!

Psyychoward86
07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I hope he makes the roster. We need to hold onto a special teams ace like him to hold down returners on special teams. But I guess it's not realistic to think we're going to have what, 7 CB's on the final roster?

rick723
07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
well that and getting to see what a successful organization is like...

I think the playoff money for each game kinda offsets that $3,000. Wasn't it $37,500 per man for each team in SB XLIII?

Edit. My bad. $37,500 for the AFCG
Back again. The winner in dividional games also got $20,000
18 G's last year, we lost the D game
20 G's for the Div game this year
37.5 G's AFCG this year
That is a $72,500 better deal without knowing how much money the SB was paid and, a 62 Diamond ring. I think Anthoney made a great deal

rick723
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I think the playoff money for each game kinda offsets that $3,000. Wasn't it $37,500 per man for each team in SB XLIII?

Edit. My bad. $37,500 for the AFCG
Back again. The winner in dividional games also got $20,000
18 G's last year, we lost the D game
20 G's for the Div game this year
37.5 G's AFCG this year
That is a $72,500 better deal without knowing how much money the SB was paid and, a 62 Diamond ring. I think Anthoney made a great deal

Do you guys think Howie Mandell will let Anthoney pick one of his models for a date? On Deal or no Deal?:applaudit: