PDA

View Full Version : Should marijuana be decriminalized?

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 12:59 PM
CNN poll:

Yes 66% - 206789
No 18% - 56934
Only for medical use 16% -49500

Total Votes: 313223

http://www.cnn.com/

Why isn't the government listening to the voice of it's people?
Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

silver & black
07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
CNN poll:

Yes 66% - 206789
No 18% - 56934
Only for medical use 16% -49500

Total Votes: 313223

http://www.cnn.com/

Why isn't the government listening to the voice of it's people?
Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Government hasn't listened to the people for quite some time. Maybe it's time the people remembered that they are the government.

MACH1
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Government hasn't listened to the people for quite some time. Maybe it's time the people remembered that they are the government.

Not if obaaama gets his way!

But yes, I think it should be legal. It's no more worse than alcohol. IMO

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
It doesn't say legal, it says decriminalized.
Big difference.

MACH1
07-26-2009, 02:08 PM
It doesn't say legal, it says decriminalized.
Big difference.

:noidea:

:yawn:

SteelCityMom
07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Absolutely yes. It does nothing but clog up the jails and the courts with petty criminals.

Oakland CA has officially become the first city (modern day) to ever tax the sale of pot as well. Whether the gov't likes it or not, the tides are turning on this issue.

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 03:14 PM

:yawn:

Decriminalization = the softening of penalties for cannabis possession

In the Netherlands, for example, if you attempt to smoke a joint on the street the police will stop you and perhaps confiscate your weed, but you won’t be arrested.

In a US context, discussion of “decriminalizing” marijuana usually means removing the criminal penalties for possession of small quantities of marijuana, usually an ounce or less.

Police may seize small amounts as it is still a controlled substance, but there would be no criminal penalties for possession of such small amounts. Selling marijuana or possession of larger amounts would still carry criminal penalties under most decriminalization schemes.

MasterOfPuppets
07-26-2009, 03:45 PM
YES !!! the legalization and taxation of both marijuana AND prostitution would go a long way with helping this economy.not only just tax revenue, but savings on the legal systems would be HUGE .

We, the undersigned, call your attention to the attached report by Professor Jeffrey A. Miron, The Budgetary Implications of Marijuana Prohibition. The report shows that marijuana legalization -- replacing prohibition with a system of taxation and regulation -- would save $7.7 billion per year in state and federal expenditures on prohibition enforcement and produce tax revenues of at least $2.4 billion annually if marijuana were taxed like most consumer goods. If, however, marijuana were taxed similarly to alcohol or tobacco, it might generate as much as $6.2 billion annually.

http://economics.about.com/od/incometaxestaxcuts/a/legalize_pot.htm

and for you californians...
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1884956,00.html

Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

Could marijuana be the answer to the economic misery facing California? Democratic state assemblyman Tom Ammiano thinks so. Ammiano introduced legislation last month that would legalize pot and allow the state to regulate and tax its sale — a move that could mean billions of dollars for the cash-strapped state. Pot is, after all, California's biggest cash crop, responsible for $14 billion a year in sales, dwarfing the state's second largest agricultural commodity — milk and cream — which brings in $7.3 billion a year, according to the most recent USDA statistics. The state's tax collectors estimate the bill would bring in about $1.3 billion a year in much needed revenue, offsetting some of the billions of dollars in service cuts and spending reductions outlined in the recently approved state budget.

In 1996 California became one of the first states in the nation to legalize medical marijuana. Currently, $200 million in medical-marijuana sales are subject to sales tax.

In response, retired Orange County Superior Court Judge James Gray, a longtime proponent of legalization, estimates that legalizing pot and thus ceasing to arrest, prosecute and imprison nonviolent offenders could save the state $1 billion a year. "We couldn't make this drug any more available if we tried," he says. "Not only do we have those problems, along with glamorizing it by making it illegal, but we also have the crime and corruption that go along with it." He adds, "Unfortunately, every society in the history of mankind has had some form of mind-altering, sometimes addictive substances to use, to misuse, abuse or get addicted to. Get used to it. They're here to stay. So let's try to reduce those harms, and right now we couldn't do it worse if we tried."

* Disclaimer* ... i don't even smoke pot but i have tried it 6 or 7 thousand times in the past. i can honestly say that the proponents that are against it, greatly exaggerate its effects. i've done far more stupid things and am a bigger menace to society drinking LEGAL alchohol than i ever was smoking pot...:laughing:

X-Terminator
07-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Forget "decriminalization"...let's go for the whole nine yards and legalize it. So much money out there to be made on a drug that really isn't any more harmful than drinking alcohol.

Godfather
07-26-2009, 08:00 PM
In the Netherlands, for example, if you attempt to smoke a joint on the street the police will stop you and perhaps confiscate your weed, but you won’t be arrested.

But what if you jump a turnstile while smoking a joint and carrying a loaded gun?

HometownGal
07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Forget "decriminalization"...let's go for the whole nine yards and legalize it. So much money out there to be made on a drug that really isn't any more harmful than drinking alcohol.

AMEN!!! :applaudit::applaudit: :smoker:

As to the OP's question as to whether it should be decriminalized - absolutely imho. :thumbsup:

beSteelmyheart
07-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I believe they should decriminalize it as well...It's probably taken so long because there are no high dollar lobbyists fighting for it's legalization. If only the big drug companies would begin to cultivate it, there wouldn't be any problem.
I'm not a big fan of smoking pot, but IMO it's probably the least dangerous drug out there compared to alcohol, prescription drugs & even tobacco products, as well as the many other illegal drugs.
They probably can't legalize it because how would they control/regulate it? Anyone with a green thumb & a few bucks to spend on good lighting could grow a personal stash=no benefit for the government.

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
But what if you jump a turnstile while smoking a joint and carrying a loaded gun?

In that case, immediately strip down to your underpants and dance around shouting "Jehovah, Jehovah!"

Fire Haley
07-26-2009, 11:55 PM
If we can get a black man elected President then anything is possible. That's what I say.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
YES! :checkit:

Dino 6 Rings
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
First, it would require a major re-education for our children. We've been saying for years that Pot is bad, and that it equals other bad things like Cocaine and Meth. We call all drugs bad. If we turn around and legalize one, it must be on the basis that we do it because it is not as bad as the other things.

There is a huge difference between Meth and Pot, huge. We have to continue teaching people that Heroin, PCP, Cocaine, Meth, Ecstasy, are very horrible. They destroy your mind body and soul. Pot just makes you lazy and hungry with a good feeling. We must ensure that the principle of keeping major nasty dirty drugs illegal is kept at 100%.

Otherwise, I vote NO. And don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of Dead Albums and Dylan albums and have been to Festivals for both, and concerts and Woodstock 99, and all kinds of shows. I get it, been there, done that. Big fan of it, Just want to ensure we seperate Pot out from the other Nasty Drugs.

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
They definitely should decriminalize it, but only if they also pass a law requiring you to wash the goddamn dishes more often than once every two weeks. Potheads aren't a threat to anyone, but they are some of the worst roommates in history.

T&B fan
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
They definitely should decriminalize it, but only if they also pass a law requiring you to wash the goddamn dishes more often than once every two weeks. Potheads aren't a threat to anyone, but they are some of the worst roommates in history.

I did the dam dishes :wave: I do them every month .. just as often as I cut the lawn :thumbsup:

I agree, I don't think there is anyone trying to combine the hard stuff with pot though. That's pretty much what the people against pot throw out there but everyone who is for it I'm sure has first hand expirence with the green stuff and know there is a huge difference.

Like it was said before, we have too many petty 'criminals' clogging up court rooms and prison for an appetite enhancer. There is something wrong when a hard felon gets lenient sentencing because of the over population in the big house. Not to mention the ammount of money it cost the city/state to put the pot offenders behind bars.

I see pot going the way of gay marriage.. Everyone opposed, then one state makes it acceptable then the next and the next. I think we're closer to decriminalization/legalizing then we realize.

you might be right on that . at some point it just needs to happen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings
First, it would require a major re-education for our children. We've been saying for years that Pot is bad, and that it equals other bad things like Cocaine and Meth. We call all drugs bad. If we turn around and legalize one, it must be on the basis that we do it because it is not as bad as the other things

other words we have lied to them .....and when the kids find out that smokeing don't leed to me killing and rapeing , then the kids start to think what other lies have we been telling them .

KeiselPower99
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
They stick people in jail for having possession and they clog up jail space for true offenders. Fine the hell out of em and put em on probation. Then if you cant pay your fines and ya screw up on probation then we have special places for ya. Work Camps.

Dino 6 Rings
07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
other words we have lied to them .....and when the kids find out that smokeing don't leed to me killing and rapeing , then the kids start to think what other lies have we been telling them .

Oh I agree, we have been lying to them for sure. I plan on discussing this with my kids, and stating flat out Pots not that bad, its still Illegal however, but if you do anything, Pot would be ok, when you're 18 and old enough to make that decision. But the other stuff Kills You. Because it does. Herion, Cocain, Meth, PCP, Ex, is all very Brutal hard core addition kill you stuff and that is what needs changed in our "Don't Do Drugs" policy before we start talking legalization.

Pot still has its bad points, can cause lung cancer, causes low birth weight in babies, causes slowed down hand eye coordination so driving while high is still bad, (yes even though pot heads usually drive much slower than everyone else, cause pot heads arent in a rush to get anywhere) It would need treated like alchohol, but still, we have a lot of problems with underage, teenage drinking. The only Pros from legalizaiton are tax dollars, and opening prison space. If part of the law was to increase the penalties for Child Molesters so they could then occupy the newly opened cells once we release All the people in jail for pot, then that would be a good selling point for me.

Fire Haley
07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Some states have decriminalized pot to some extent, what one would you move too?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Map-of-US-state-cannabis-decriminalization-laws2.svg/400px-Map-of-US-state-cannabis-decriminalization-laws2.svg.png

Police arrest more Americans per year on marijuana charges than the total number of arrestees for all violent crimes combined, including murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault. - - Federal Bureau of Investigation. 2001. Uniform Crime Report: Crime in the United States, 2000.

stlrtruck
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I say legalize it, then the gov't could easily tax it and recover our national debt and then some. We'd be on top of the world!!!

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Some states have decriminalized pot to some extent, what one would you move too?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Map-of-US-state-cannabis-decriminalization-laws2.svg/400px-Map-of-US-state-cannabis-decriminalization-laws2.svg.png

I think Oregon is the only one where they really don't give a shit if you have pot. Maybe Alaska too, but that's pretty far to move. If California is any example, you can have all the pro-pot laws you want, but if the cops catch you with any, they'll still bust you regardless.

Fire Haley
07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
In Ohio, possession of 3 oz's or less is a minor misdemeanor - just a $100 fine.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516

But if you are going to college and receive any federal tuition assistance - if you get busted, you lose that too, I think.

This is all Nixon's fault - his War on Drugs against the hippies still goes on.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM

I'm in the minority. I have enough problems with DUI's...dont need MORE people who are stoned behind the wheel.

That being said I do understand the arguement behind legalization...just as I understand the ramications of it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 02:03 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

stlrtruck
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm in the minority. I have enough problems with DUI's...dont need MORE people who are stoned behind the wheel.

That being said I do understand the arguement behind legalization...just as I understand the ramications of it.

I have no problem with the legalization of it but as with drunk driving laws I believe they need to be tougher and well enforced. No loopholes, no nothing. If you're caught drunk driving or driving under the influence of other substances then you lose your license for 1 year, a second offense - 5 years, a third offense - for the rest of your natural born life! And if you're caught driving on a revoked license then you lose it for life. Caught driving again after that, then it's behind bars for a minimum of 3 years.

No plea bargains, no, "I'm a super star have pity on me!" mentality.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
I have no problem with the legalization of it but as with drunk driving laws I believe they need to be tougher and well enforced. No loopholes, no nothing. If you're caught drunk driving or driving under the influence of other substances then you lose your license for 1 year, a second offense - 5 years, a third offense - for the rest of your natural born life! And if you're caught driving on a revoked license then you lose it for life. Caught driving again after that, then it's behind bars for a minimum of 3 years.

No plea bargains, no, "I'm a super star have pity on me!" mentality.

That would be great...except that judges liberal enough to legalize pot...are probably going to be too liberal to demand tough laws for DUI's.

fansince'76
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Pot still has its bad points, can cause lung cancer, causes low birth weight in babies, causes slowed down hand eye coordination so driving while high is still bad....

....causes a person's face to melt....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/pic-crumb-stoned-again.jpg

:chuckle:

Fire Haley
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
13 states have legalized medical marijuana - that's the foot in the door

Alaska 1998
California 1996
Colorado 2000
Hawaii 2000
Maine 1999
Michigan 2008
Montana 2004
Nevada 2000
New Mexico 2007
Oregon 1998
Rhode Island 2006
Vermont 2004
Washington 1998

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=000881

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I think Oregon is the only one where they really don't give a shit if you have pot. Maybe Alaska too, but that's pretty far to move. If California is any example, you can have all the pro-pot laws you want, but if the cops catch you with any, they'll still bust you regardless.

Yeah Alaska is by far the most lenient. "Possession of one ounce or less of marijuana in the privacy of the home is legal." http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4522

In Oregon Possession of less than one ounce of marijuana is punishable by a fine of $500 - $1,000. Possession of one ounce or more is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to 100k. Kind of a dramatic leap there lol. http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4559

Pretty much any state with medical marijuana laws are considerably more lenient than states without. Alabama has to be the scariest state in the nation though to be a pot head lol.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
....causes a person's face to melt....

And makes snozberries taste...well...like snozberries

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 04:00 PM
13 states have legalized medical marijuana - that's the foot in the door

Alaska 1998
California 1996
Colorado 2000
Hawaii 2000
Maine 1999
Michigan 2008
Montana 2004
Nevada 2000
New Mexico 2007
Oregon 1998
Rhode Island 2006
Vermont 2004
Washington 1998

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=000881

On top of that, these are the states that have decriminalized marijuana. Some of them are states that have legalized medical marijuana, but not all, just like some of the states that have legalized medical marijuana have not decriminalized it for personal use. This is the list though.

Alaska
California
Colorado
Maine
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6331

All together there are 20 states right now that have medical marijuana laws and/or decriminalized pot. Only 30 more to go lol.

beSteelmyheart
07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe when the lawmakers get their heads on straight they will stop putting pot smokers in jail to free up space for the pervert kid touchers & misc scum that hurt children that they all too often let go with a slap on the wrist & probation.

Dino 6 Rings
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Maybe when the lawmakers get their heads on straight they will stop putting pot smokers in jail to free up space for the pervert kid touchers & misc scum that hurt children that they all too often let go with a slap on the wrist & probation.

Honestly...Folks...Pot Smokers don't go to jail. They get arrested, booked for the night, usually released that same night and are just fined. That's it. This "Pot Smokers" behind bars stuff is nonsense.

Now, Dealing large quantities of it, or dealing Pot with other things as well, like Meth or Cocaine, will get you busted. Hauling 500lbs of the stuff in your truck will get you thrown in jail.

Smoking a joint at a local concert and getting busted by the cops costs you some time and cash and usually a Probation. Then, on top of Probation, if you come up hot on test, then you are slammed again. So if you can't stay clean for 12 months or whatever to get off the Probation, maybe, just maybe you should consider some of the larger choices in your life.

Sorry, but I don't buy the "smoking pot go to jail" Bulllshit. They arrest you, fine you and make Billions of dollars doing just that. The reason it isn't legal and taxed yet is because so much of that Fine money goes right back to the state, not the Feds.

I'm not against making Pot ok or easier to get for people that want to smoke pot, however I'm a huge fan of an age limit, as well as jail for providing it to minors.

I mean, exactly how would it work? Marlboro going to start boxing the stuff and selling it in packs? Really? Is that the route we want to go? Who regulates the "Grade" of the stuff, can I still grow it at home (Hypothetically speaking of coarse) or is that then considered Bootlegging?

Dino 6 Rings
07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
When I was in College a very long time ago, a Psych teacher wanted to have a debate, She said "Who's in favor of legalizing Maryjuana?" I rose my hand, she said "Good, now you take up the debate of keeping it illegal."

So I had to research all the Anti-Making it Legal reasons I could...and I did Win the Debate. Did I believe what I was saying, well at the time, not really since I was wearing a tie dye t-shirt and smelled like pachuli oil. Still, there are some valid arguments against it. Its more than just "letting pot heads be pot heads"

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Honestly...Folks...Pot Smokers don't go to jail. They get arrested, booked for the night, usually released that same night and are just fined. That's it. This "Pot Smokers" behind bars stuff is nonsense.

Now, Dealing large quantities of it, or dealing Pot with other things as well, like Meth or Cocaine, will get you busted. Hauling 500lbs of the stuff in your truck will get you thrown in jail.

Smoking a joint at a local concert and getting busted by the cops costs you some time and cash and usually a Probation. Then, on top of Probation, if you come up hot on test, then you are slammed again. So if you can't stay clean for 12 months or whatever to get off the Probation, maybe, just maybe you should consider some of the larger choices in your life.

Sorry, but I don't buy the "smoking pot go to jail" Bulllshit. They arrest you, fine you and make Billions of dollars doing just that. The reason it isn't legal and taxed yet is because so much of that Fine money goes right back to the state, not the Feds.

I'm not against making Pot ok or easier to get for people that want to smoke pot, however I'm a huge fan of an age limit, as well as jail for providing it to minors.

I mean, exactly how would it work? Marlboro going to start boxing the stuff and selling it in packs? Really? Is that the route we want to go? Who regulates the "Grade" of the stuff, can I still grow it at home (Hypothetically speaking of coarse) or is that then considered Bootlegging?

To answer the second part of your question, you'd have to look into how they grow, dispense and (in some places) tax it in California. That's the most clear example I can give you.

I agree with you about the regulation of the use and sale to minors though. Make the laws pretty much similar to those carried with alcohol is my opinion.

And as for potheads going to jail, it really depends on what state you live in and what kind of mood the cops and judges in the less lenient states are in. Most places nowadays you're ok if you just get caught with a joint. But there are some states with VERY strict laws.

Alabama - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4521
Louisiana - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4540
Arizona - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4523
Arkansas - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4524
Deleware - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4528
Idaho - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4534

These states are the strictest, but these are not the only states to carry jail sentences for first time offenders (and they specify very much ANY amount).

Dino 6 Rings
07-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Most of those laws you site on that agenda driven website, say "Up to one year in jail"

I'd like to know, who has ever been busted for a joint, nothing else, ever, no history, no record, no punched the cop crap, just got busted with a joint and went to jail for more than one night?

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Most of those laws you site on that agenda driven website, say "Up to one year in jail"

I'd like to know, who has ever been busted for a joint, nothing else, ever, no history, no record, no punched the cop crap, just got busted with a joint and went to jail for more than one night?

However you feel about the site doesn't make the laws any different. And yes I know they say up to one year in jail, that's why I said depending on the cops or judges mood. I never said every case was going to get the max, but some do, or the laws wouldn't be written that way.

I can't give you any examples of someone going to jail for just a joint, because I don't know every person in the country and their criminal records, but I'm sure there's someone out there. You'd have just as hard a time proving your statement to be true as I would proving it to be untrue.

Preacher
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Yep...

Not to mention, pretty much to a person, every person I speak to that is in recovery is against it, because they realize the dangers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
And as for potheads going to jail, it really depends on what state you live in and what kind of mood the cops and judges in the less lenient states are in. Most places nowadays you're ok if you just get caught with a joint. But there are some states with VERY strict laws.

Alabama - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4521
Louisiana - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4540
Arizona - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4523
Arkansas - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4524
Deleware - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4528
Idaho - http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4534

These states are the strictest, but these are not the only states to carry jail sentences for first time offenders (and they specify very much ANY amount).

Even in Alabama where pot laws are pretty strict...you would have to have over 2.2 pounds of pot on you to get over one year in jail. Any less is a misdemeanor and will net you 0-1 years...or up to a $6,000 fine.

Laws in most states are much more strict for growing...cultivating...and distributing. Laws are actually pretty lenient for possession...2.2 pounds is a VERY large bag of pot!!!!

The real problem isnt so much the law as it public perception and public backlash...even a misdemeanor drug conviction in the state of Illinois will bar you from ever being a teacher or working in certain other fields.

We had two young girls who were one week from graduating with degrees to start careers in the educational field...and got busted for misdemeanor pot possession. Sadly this made their degrees worth nothing more than the paper they were written on. Four years of college thrown away.

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Even in Alabama where pot laws are pretty strict...you would have to have over 2.2 pounds of pot on you to get over one year in jail. Any less is a misdemeanor and will net you 0-1 years...or up to a $6,000 fine.

Laws in most states are much more strict for growing...cultivating...and distributing. Laws are actually pretty lenient for possession...2.2 pounds is a VERY large bag of pot!!!!

The real problem isnt so much the law as it public perception and public backlash...even a misdemeanor drug conviction in the state of Illinois will bar you from ever being a teacher or working in certain other fields.

We had two young girls who were one week from graduating with degrees to start careers in the educational field...and got busted for misdemeanor pot possession. Sadly this made their degrees worth nothing more than the paper they were written on. Four years of college thrown away.

Yeah, but that says 2.2 lbs or less, that means any size could get you up to a year in jail if they wanted to do so. Now most people aren't going to get a year in jail for their first offense, but for a second offense, it's possible.

That's a shame about those girls, so much wasted for such a silly reason.

I found this article while putzing around and was astonished by it. Not only the amount they busted this fairly old man with, but the complications it caused him further down the road. Ridiculous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3628538/Briton-jailed-in-US-immigration-crackdown-for-third-of-a-joint.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, but that says 2.2 lbs or less, that means any size could get you up to a year in jail if they wanted to do so. Now most people aren't going to get a year in jail for their first offense, but for a second offense, it's possible.

That's a shame about those girls, so much wasted for such a silly reason.

I found this article while putzing around and was astonished by it. Not only the amount they busted this fairly old man with, but the complications it caused him further down the road. Ridiculous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3628538/Briton-jailed-in-US-immigration-crackdown-for-third-of-a-joint.html

Two points...

I also feel sorry for the girls but the reality is that they gambled and lost. I have a son that has already decided to go into law enforcement...and is planning on participating in ROTC whikle in college...He KNOWS the repercussions of getting busted for DUI or misdemeanor drug possession. He knows that if he gets busted, what he thinks of the law is secondary to the reality of what breaking that law will do to his plans. There is a personal responsibilty factor that must be taken into account. The two girls failed to remember that.

My second point is that officers do not ultimately decide the charges...that is the role of the states attorney. The officer that busted the two girls was beside himself that the SA decided to throw the book at the girls instead of giving them a break and allowing them to plea down. An officer can only enforce the laws, as this officer did. In my opinion the officer did what he was supposed to do...the SA could hav been more lenient.

Preacher
07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Here's what gets me.

People KNOW the LAW when it comes to pot. So when they get busted, why complain? THEY TOOK THE CHANCE.

Until it is no longer illegal, I have no sympathy for those who get busted with it. They are willingly choosing to break the law and take up the consequences.

When I speed, I KNOW the consequences. I know that I am risking a ticket, a possible increase in insurance, and if I speed fast enough, jail time for reckless endangerment.

If I get caught, that is MY fault. No one else's. No one should have pity on me.

BTW, that is why when I DO speed, I try and keep it under 20 over the limit, because it is not considered a major citation by my insurance company (so I won't get dropped), and I won't be arrested for it.

It is called personal responsibility, and taking responsibility for the choices we make.

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Two points...

I also feel sorry for the girls but the reality is that they gambled and lost. I have a son that has already decided to go into law enforcement...and is planning on participating in ROTC whikle in college...He KNOWS the repercussions of getting busted for DUI or misdemeanor drug possession. He knows that if he gets busted, what he thinks of the law is secondary to the reality of what breaking that law will do to his plans. There is a personal responsibilty factor that must be taken into account. The two girls failed to remember that.

My second point is that officers do not ultimately decide the charges...that is the role of the states attorney. The officer that busted the two girls was beside himself that the SA decided to throw the book at the girls instead of giving them a break and allowing them to plea down. An officer can only enforce the laws, as this officer did. In my opinion the officer did what he was supposed to do...the SA could hav been more lenient.

No, I agree with you, I guess I just stated it vaguely. When I was in college that was pretty much made clear to anyone majoring in criminal justice or education that if you were busted for any kind of drug offense you would be kicked out of school. I just meant that they threw it all away for something as trivial as catching a buzz.

While I'm all for marijuana rights, I know that's like playing russian roulette with your future, even if it is "just that once", which I doubt it was with them.

While I won't deny doing my fair share of partying in high school and college, my reasons for wanting decriminalization, or at the very least the federal government to adopt medical marijuana laws so individual states can make pure choices on where they stand on the issue, are more personal than wanting to or caring if anyone else is able to catch a buzz.

Fire Haley
07-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Honestly...Folks...Pot Smokers don't go to jail.

lick this....the new generation

http://www.seedsman.com/product_images/fullsize/whitwidowfem.jpg

beSteelmyheart
07-28-2009, 08:50 PM

I guess I'm an out of touch old lady!:laughing: (but the hammer still needs to be brought down on the child molesters more so than pot smokers)
But your last paragraph solidifies what i said in an earlier post...
Until the big drug companies can figure out how to mass produce it, control it & lobby for it I'm skeptical that it will be leglized anytime soon. They produce stuff that is so horrible (& legal) that I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they come up with something, since the issue has come to the forefront lately.

Preacher
07-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Now what SHOULD be MADE illegal,

Is Kettle Corn. Talk about driven, over the top, "how in the world did I eat the whole bag" addiction!!!

tony hipchest
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
"how in the world did I eat the whole bag"

"munchies"? :smoker:

just think, once legal, scientists can work on strains of pot that dont cause "cottonmouth" "lean to's" or "red hot outer skullies".

SteelCityMom
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Now what SHOULD be MADE illegal,

Is Kettle Corn. Talk about driven, over the top, "how in the world did I eat the whole bag" addiction!!!

I have the same problem with Ben and Jerry's. There are days where all I can think about is Chubby Hubby and Cherry Garcia. It's disgusting lol. I have to avoid the ice cream isle altogether sometimes when I go to the store.

Fire Haley
07-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Jackbooted thugs...

The First U.S. Marijuana Arrest (Ever)

The federal Marihuana Tax Stamp Act was passed on October 2, 1937. It was the first law criminalizing marijuana sale and possession in the United States.

That very day, the FBI arrested Samuel Caldwell for selling two joints to Moses Baca who was also arrested. Caldwell was sentenced to four years in Leavenworth; Baca 18 months. Neither was paroled. The maximum was five years.

Technically speaking Caldwell’s crime was for not buying the $1 stamp that was a tax levied on the purchase and sale of marijuana. Apparently it was no legal defense - the stamp wasn’t available; after all, he was arrested the day the law was enacted – the stamps didn’t even exist yet.

tony hipchest
07-28-2009, 11:37 PM
samuel jackson and moses malone huh?

im tellin jou, es rachel esay.

SteelCityMom
07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Jackbooted thugs...

The First U.S. Marijuana Arrest (Ever)

The federal Marihuana Tax Stamp Act was passed on October 2, 1937. It was the first law criminalizing marijuana sale and possession in the United States.

That very day, the FBI arrested Samuel Caldwell for selling two joints to Moses Baca who was also arrested. Caldwell was sentenced to four years in Leavenworth; Baca 18 months. Neither was paroled. The maximum was five years.

Technically speaking Caldwell’s crime was for not buying the $1 stamp that was a tax levied on the purchase and sale of marijuana. Apparently it was no legal defense - the stamp wasn’t available; after all, he was arrested the day the law was enacted – the stamps didn’t even exist yet.

Lol yeah, those stamps never did exist. They passed a law saying you needed to purchase a tax stamp, and then never made any tax stamps. That was the beauty in their plan. Sneaky bastards.