PDA

View Full Version : Which Steelers will have breakthrough seasons in 2009?

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Which Steelers will have breakthrough seasons in 2009?
July 27, 2:03 AM
examiner.com

For most teams to advance to the super bowl, they need a player or two to realize or exceed their potential. We saw that last year with Santonio Holmes and James Harrison and will probably see it again this season.

Here’s the list of candidates that may have a break-out or surprise season this year:

Rashard Mendenhall – RB

With starter Willie Parker in the last year of his contract, the Steelers would love to see last year’s number one pick of out Illinois have a solid year. Mendenhall has loads of potential, and by all accounts looked good in OTA’s this spring. His tough style helped him run for 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns as a senior, an Illinois record. Mendenhall ran for 58 yards on 19 attempts last year before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 4 against Baltimore.

Limas Sweed - WR

Ahhh yes, everyone’s favorite receiver. Sweed was made (un) popular last year for his would-be-touchdown-catch turned drop in the AFC Championship game against Baltimore. Truth is though; every young player in the NFL goes through growing pains and the Steelers are still firmly behind their second round pick out of Texas in ’08. Sweed is the team's tallest receiver at 6'4", and if he can develop his pass catching skills he could be a dangerous target especially in the red zone. He will likely battle Shaun McDonald for the third reciever spot.

William Gay - CB

It actually wouldn’t be a surprise if Gay excels as a starter, as he looks to break out in his third year. The cornerback from Louisville played great in a back up role last year with 41 tackles and an interception while playing behind starter Bryant McFadden. He also let up the fewest yards-per-attempt of any CB in the league last season. McFadden is gone now to Arizona, and Gay is looking to step in and contribute in the final year of his contract.

Mike Wallace – WR/KR

The Steelers badly needed some help in the kick return game and believe they got it when they took Wallace out of Ole Miss in the third round this year. He was the second fastest receiver in the NFL scouting combine, clocked at 4.28 in the 40-yard dash and averaged nearly 25 yards per kick-off return in college. It obviously didn’t hurt the Steelers too badly to have (non TD threat) Gary Russell returning kicks last year but now they may have a huge weapon in the return game. Expect the Steelers to give this guy every opportunity in returning kicks, punts, and maybe stretching the defense a bit as a receiver.

Frank Summers - RB

Most overlook how important it is for a coach to have a guy that he can turn to, to get a yard on third-and-1. The Steelers believe Summers may be that guy. Nicknamed “Frank the Tank", he was drafted out of UNLV in the fifth round this year, and with Gary Russell gone, he could be summoned upon for short-yardage plays. In his final two collegiate seasons, Summers ran for 1,668 yards and had 14 rushing touchdowns.

Kraig Urbik - G

I wouldn’t expect the world out of Urbik in his first year, but if the offensive line struggles it wouldn’t surprise me if he got some playing time. The Steelers believe the third round choice out of Wisconsin is a future starter, and wouldn’t be afraid to put him in there at some point this season, possibly in place of Darnell Stapleton.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m7d27-What-Steelers-will-have-break-through-seasons-in-2009

bradness113
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Parker

Write it down.

Steel Head
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Parker

Write it down.

he 'broke through' several years ago

but yeah, look for a big year from Parker since it is his contract year (same with Casey Hampton)

Indo
07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
SWEEEEEEED !

lilyoder6
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
i think sweed will have a breakout yr being the number 3 wr.. but i also feel that wallace could break out in the ST area with his speed and what not

The Lakelander
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Sweed is going to have a monster year. :popcorn: So is Sepulveda. :chuckle:

steelreserve
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
he 'broke through' several years ago

but yeah, look for a big year from Parker since we play a lot of bad teams this year and those are the only opponents he can run the ball against.

Sorry, had to fix it for accuracy.

KeiselPower99
07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Ill say the O line as a whole. They will be better this year.

MasterOfPuppets
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Gay ... this is the year he comes out of the closet...:popcorn:

scsteeler
07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I think Sweed has a breakout year in 2009. Gay will be solid player but I think Sweed will wow some people this year.

ricksteelers55
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Mendenhall for me makes more sense.

Parker like someone state earlier can run against bad teams but always average 2.0 or less yds per carry against teams like the Ravens.

Mendenhall last year got 3+ yds per carry against a very good Ravens Run D.

look for Mendenhall to have a very good season,the kind of season that will help the FO to let Parker walk after this season.

HometownGal
07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Sweed, Mendy and Sep most definitely. I also feel it in my bones that William Gay is going to have a nice season. :tt02:

pancake
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Write it down, Timmons will be the break out player of the year for the Steelers...

pancake
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Mendenhall for me makes more sense.

Parker like someone state earlier can run against bad teams but always average 2.0 or less yds per carry against teams like the Ravens.

Mendenhall last year got 3+ yds per carry against a very good Ravens Run D.

look for Mendenhall to have a very good season,the kind of season that will help the FO to let Parker walk after this season.

30 yards on 9 carries, with his longest of 12 yards. If you take away the 12 yard run, he has 8 carries for 18 yards which is 2.25 average. I would rather see him make it through a full game against the Ratbirds, before I make an assessment on Mend.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Ill say the O line as a whole. They will be better this year.

I said that last year :doh:

pancake
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I said that last year :doh:

Well lets hope you was a year early... lol

HometownGal
07-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Write it down, Timmons will be the break out player of the year for the Steelers...

Don't know if he'll be the "breakout player of the year", but I believe he is going to have a good season - he has the makeup to be one of the best.

Preacher
07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
My guess is that Timmons will have a break out year. He seems poised for it... had a lot of snaps already.

On the offense, hard to say. I think Willie P. will have the best year of his career. He will be healthy and is back training, not to mention it is a contract year for him, either here or somewhere else.

Mendy aint having a breakout year. This is going to be his rookie year for all intents and purposes. Sweed, I think, is going to have a pretty good year, but not a great year.

Come to think of it, "Breakout year" on offense, will be Ben. He will be hyperfocused because the 60 minute game clock will be the 60 minutes he gets to escape from his life's issues right now.

So, I think it will be Timmons, Willie, and Ben.

ricksteelers55
07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
30 yards on 9 carries, with his longest of 12 yards. If you take away the 12 yard run, he has 8 carries for 18 yards which is 2.25 average. I would rather see him make it through a full game against the Ratbirds, before I make an assessment on Mend.

Yeah I see where you want to go,but I have to admit that 1st breaking a 12 yds run in your first start against one of the best D of the league with a very OK OL was very good of him.

I'm sure Mendy will be one of the fan favorites pretty soon.

Steel-Bryan
07-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Gay ... this is the year he comes out of the closet...:popcorn:

ahahahaha :applaudit:, i also think ike taylor will actually hold on to interceptions this year, so i think he'll have a big year too.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Sweed is going to have a monster year. :popcorn: So is Sepulveda. :chuckle:

Hey... We all saw last year just how important a good punter is ... maybe sepulveda can make the pro bowl this year....every yard counts

SteelLloyd95
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Limas Peed will rot on the bench as #4 receiver behind McDonald.
Timmons should have been starting already and will get unleashed.

LVSteelersfan
07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I think Timmons will have the monster year as other teams are going to key on Harrison and Woodley. Lebeau will unleash the beast.

On offense I have total faith the Mendenhall will bust out this year. People saying it is for all intents and purposes his rookie year means nothing. Running backs are the most likely to have good first years and Mendenhall was one of the best backs taken last year.

Galax Steeler
07-28-2009, 03:32 AM
I think Mendenhall and Sweed will have good year they both have something to prove.

Steel Head
07-28-2009, 07:52 AM
On the offense, hard to say. I think Willie P. will have the best year of his career.

I seriously doubt that, not that he isn't capable but he will probably be splitting some carries with Mendenhall. And then we have Moore for a 3rd down back and Summers as a possible short-yardage/goal line back. With that in mind, I doubt he will come close to his career year in 2006 when he had 1700+ yards from scrimmage and 15 total touchdowns

LVSteelersfan
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I seriously doubt that, not that he isn't capable but he will probably be splitting some carries with Mendenhall. And then we have Moore for a 3rd down back and Summers as a possible short-yardage/goal line back. With that in mind, I doubt he will come close to his career year in 2006 when he had 1700+ yards from scrimmage and 15 total touchdowns

If he is going to have a career year he is going to have to get more than 1 yard losses on first down. I am hoping he gets his average up to 4-5 yards per carry (highly unlikely with that O-line) so that he can hit the 1000 yard mark this year. I doubt that Tomlin will try to run him til the wheels fall off with all the running backs he has in his stable. I like Willie but I have serious doubts about him if Arians keeps trying to run him up the middle on almost every run he makes. If Summers was in front of him (not Davis) maybe it would make up for the lousy Oline a little. But I know deep down that is not going to happen.

Youngstown Steeler
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll go in a different direction and say Santonio Holmes. I think he will be more consistent and take over as the number one receiver for the Steelers.

SteelMember
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM

:huh: Wait. Isn't that the parker equation? Take away the long runs. :rolleyes:

Limas Peed will rot on the bench as #4 receiver behind McDonald.
Timmons should have been starting already and will get unleashed.

:doh: Wow! cause there are so many 1st year wr's that go to the pro bowl. A couple drops seem to define this guys whole game to some. We will see.

I'll go in a different direction and say Santonio Holmes. I think he will be more consistent and take over as the number one receiver for the Steelers.

I agree with this. I think we were all impressed with what tone brought to the 2nd half of the season. Most notably the playoffs, but I'm still waiting for that big year from him. It would be awesome to get 2 guys above 1000 yards again.

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Lawrence Timmons: Now that he is going to be a full time starter. Woodley, Harrison, and Farrior are beasts. Throwing Timmons into that core just blows my mind how good the LBs are going to be this year. Best group in the league. Timmons could have started for any other team in the NFL last season and finally will be a starter this year for the Steelers.

stlrtruck
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!

Hotrodder07
07-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I honestly believe that Limas Sweed is going to have a terrific year. He was a great wide out in college, and he'll be very productive this year. I see him being as productive as Nate Washington was.

Mendenhall is another great choice, but I don't know if I would call this year his 'breakout year.' Willie will still get the majority of the carries. Not sure if we'll see too much of Mendy this year.

Lastly, Timmons is ready to finally be the starter. With his speed, he will certainly be one of the most productive members of the defense next year. Bank on it.

Oh man, can we just start the season already?! I'm so pumped! Can't wait to see our Steelers play again!

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!

Wouldn't that be nice!

steelballs
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Mendenhall this season. He has a lot to prove and didn't get a chance last year.
The kid's hungry and Willie will definitely feel the heat from the 2nd year rookie.