PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick...BOO!!!!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

4xSBChamps
08-01-2009, 10:07 AM
tomlin went the billishit way of answering the ? if the steelers were interested in him or not...

i think that it comes down since the rooney's have the past of not dealing with shit like this.. that it's tomlin who would like to give vick a 2nd chance or the rooney's have had a change of heart recently

I believe that since the Noll years, 'em Stillers 'unwritten/official' stance is to discuss those players under-contract and at camp, while ignoring outside 'distractions'
until the time the Vick is under-contract (pleeeeeeze, God..... NO!!!!!),I doubt the team will chance it's position

CantStop85
08-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm torn on this issue...on one hand I wouldn't like to see Vick sign with the Steelers because it would make them a more dangerous team, but on the other hand I would like to see the Steelers sign Vick because I would love to see the sh** fit that ensues, especially on this board. :chuckle:

jjbrasso
08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
i wish he would sign with someone so we no longer have to worry about this.

lilyoder6
08-01-2009, 01:30 PM
if i was vick and i knew i would be suspended til week 6.. i would go play for the ufl and then when my suspension was over then try to sign on with a team in the nfl

stillers4me
08-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this myself. My first reaction was "hell, no!" But if Ben is laying on the ground and we need a backup to step up the Byron did, and Vick comes out and makes it happen, or we suddenly start seeing all those trick plays come out the recycle bin, Steelers fans would suddenly be very forgiving. Football fans all over the country would be green with envy at our genius. And have all the more reason to hate all over us.

And it would be all because of the "loving but stern tutelage" of Mike Tomlin.

You betcha'. :wink02:

HometownGal
08-01-2009, 02:09 PM
and Vick comes out and makes it happen, or we suddenly start seeing all those trick plays come out the recycle bin, Steelers fans would suddenly be very forgiving.

Sorry, stillers - I wouldn't want this piece of trash on our team no matter what he did or can do and if I'm a bettin' person, which I am, I say the Steelers feel the same way I do.

stillers4me
08-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry, stillers - I wouldn't want this piece of trash on our team no matter what he did or can do and if I'm a bettin' person, which I am, I say the Steelers feel the same way I do.

I didn't say I wanted him either, just what I'm sure would happen if he were to be picked up by the Steelers, which I can't see actually happening.

Psyychoward86
08-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Agreed. Vick could win us a Superbowl with Ben on the bench, i'd still have filled with bitter feelings.

revefsreleets
08-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Again, Vick and the Pats are a match made in Hell...perfect for each other. You've got a POS player on one hand with low morals, and you've got a POS team with no scruples who will do literally anything to win on the other.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Again, Vick and the Pats are a match made in Hell...perfect for each other. You've got a POS player on one hand with low morals, and you've got a POS team with no scruples who will do literally anything to win on the other.

...and a fanbase willing to make excuses for bad behavior.

4xSBChamps
08-01-2009, 03:27 PM
...and a fanbase willing to make excuses for bad behavior.

I was re-reading a book about the 1846 construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the 7 prominent cities at that time of Boston, New York, Philthadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh & Wheeling, when a resident of that city described "the Proper Bostonian of this era as sitting upon a rock, reading the Bible, sucking a lemon, and contemplating adultery"

:laughing:

SteelCityMom
08-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this myself. My first reaction was "hell, no!" But if Ben is laying on the ground and we need a backup to step up the Byron did, and Vick comes out and makes it happen, or we suddenly start seeing all those trick plays come out the recycle bin, Steelers fans would suddenly be very forgiving. Football fans all over the country would be green with envy at our genius. And have all the more reason to hate all over us.

And it would be all because of the "loving but stern tutelage" of Mike Tomlin.

You betcha'. :wink02:

While I don't disagree with this, I think the only reason we definitely won't pick up Vick is because we just resigned Batch, and the only reason we signed Byron last year was because Batch was injured.

I hate what he did, but from a pure football perspective, he'd be a very very good backup.

SlackerCSB
08-01-2009, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't want to see Vick in a Steelers uniform.

As a side note, why does Vick get so much bad press when Ray Lewis is an NFL poster boy? One guy killed a few dogs... the other killed another man. You can run down to the SPCA to replace your dog, another human being, though...

SteelCityMom
08-01-2009, 04:50 PM

As a side note, why does Vick get so much bad press when Ray Lewis is an NFL poster boy? One guy killed a few dogs... the other killed another man. You can run down to the SPCA to replace your dog, another human being, though...

Exactly...especially when you take into account as well that Vick did, what 18 or 23 months in jail (and deservedly so) something like that, but Donte Stallworth gets drunk, kills a pedestrian and admits to it, but only does 24 days of his 30 day sentence?!?!?! If that were anybody else, they'd be doing the possible max of 15 years. It's a joke.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2009, 04:51 PM

We can dislike both...a thread dedicated to Vick's transgressions by no means devalues the "thugness" of the Honorable Reverand Lewis.

dastowers
08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I have been a female Steelers Fan for all my 40 years. If they sign Micheal Vick I will NEVER watch them again. My whole family is just SICK at the thought he would be associated with a wonderful team as the Steelers. PLEASE don't consider this!
He represents the WORST of humanity. There was no need for him to enjoy the suffering of those animals. The fact is -he is not what the Steelers represent.

Davena Stowers

BlastFurnace
08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I have been a female Steelers Fan for all my 40 years. If they sign Micheal Vick I will NEVER watch them again. My whole family is just SICK at the thought he would be associated with a wonderful team as the Steelers. PLEASE don't consider this!
He represents the WORST of humanity. There was no need for him to enjoy the suffering of those animals. The fact is -he is not what the Steelers represent.

Davena Stowers

Every single beat writer worth his salt has indicated that there is absolutely no truth to this rumor. I know that in some cases, they can't tell what they actually know, but from all indications, every single rumor, suposed site of him in Pittsburgh...etc. has been shown to be false.

As an example, when Vick was supposedly in Pittsburgh, there was also a rumor of his siting in New England...during the exact same time frame.

Vick sitings are quickly turning into Elvis sitings.

Fullback&Punter
08-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Davena Stowers

Really? You would give up on your team because they signed someone you don't like?!?

Is Vick really an example of the worst humanity has to offer. I can think of a whole bunch of people worse than Vick.

DamienThorne
08-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I hope he does sign with the Steelers for no other reason than to watch some of you holier than thou, self righteous blowhards heads explode. :doh:
Like it has been stated before, the man did his time and there are many other instances of players having broken the law and getting another shot at making a living in their chosen profession. (Leonard Little, Christian Peter, Pacman Jones, Donte Stallworth, Matt Jones, Jamal Lewis and not even counting all the guys that got caught violating the substance abuse policy.) Lets not forget using steroids is also against the law. As for the people that say he is not what the Steelers represent, need I remind you that our Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes is a big blunt smoker and James Harrison beats women. If Vick was a plumber and went to jail, once he got out if he could find someone to give him a job, he would be able to work. Some of you are just twisted because he is going to come back somewhere and possibly make millions. It just amazes me how some folks seem to put Dogs above the loss of human lives or drugs which also destroys lives. Joey Porter had a point when he said most people detest Pit Bulls and completely ostracize them to begin with and now all of a sudden you want to march with friggin PETA because you hate Michael Vick. . Give me a break. :banging:

HometownGal
08-02-2009, 08:06 AM
I hope he does sign with the Steelers for no other reason than to watch some of you holier than thou, self righteous blowhards heads explode. :doh:
Like it has been stated before, the man did his time and there are many other instances of players having broken the law and getting another shot at making a living in their chosen profession. (Leonard Little, Christian Peter, Pacman Jones, Donte Stallworth, Matt Jones, Jamal Lewis and not even counting all the guys that got caught violating the substance abuse policy.) Lets not forget using steroids is also against the law. As for the people that say he is not what the Steelers represent, need I remind you that our Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes is a big blunt smoker and James Harrison beats women. If Vick was a plumber and went to jail, once he got out if he could find someone to give him a job, he would be able to work. Some of you are just twisted because he is going to come back somewhere and possibly make millions. It just amazes me how some folks seem to put Dogs above the loss of human lives or drugs which also destroys lives. Joey Porter had a point when he said most people detest Pit Bulls and completely ostracize them to begin with and now all of a sudden you want to march with friggin PETA because you hate Michael Vick. . Give me a break. :banging:

WOW. Nice first post. :rolleyes:

Look pal - this is a board of opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs whether or not you agree or disagree. If you disagree with the opinions posted, please do so somewhat respectfully - that's all we ask. Being a newb and calling others "self-righteous blowhards" isn't a great way to get acquainted around here with other fans who support and love the same team you do.

P.S. Please be careful when dismounting that high horse - wouldn't want you to break a bone or hurt that melon.

P.S.S. Though I'm on record here many times saying it, but just in case you don't feel like dredging through pages upon pages of comments - I don't want that vile inhumane POS anywhere near my city or my team. Anyone who injures, maims, tortures or brutally murders a child or an animal is a COWARD in my book and the Pittsburgh Steelers don't engage cowards.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2009, 08:16 AM

Why don't you get a life you come on here with a post like that you need to go and play tidley winks or something. The posters on Steeler fever are good people. We are family here and we don't need people like you coming in here and trashing the place up with your stupid responses.

GutterflowerSteel
08-02-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09214/987840-66.stm

Sunday, August 02, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Thank goodness training camps have opened because those desperate for football stories to talk about can now revert to real tales rather than fantasies, such as why the Steelers are the best team for Michael Vick.

Not only has that been reported by normally sane writers and broadcasters, but I saw one oddsmaker put the Steelers and New England Patriots as 4-1 favorites to sign the 29-year-old quarterback who has not played since 2006. I put the odds higher for the Steelers signing me to run the wildcat offense than them signing Michael Vick. The Steelers would have more interest in Brett Favre than Vick. Right now, I'd re-sign Kordell Stewart before I'd ever put in a call to Vick's people if I needed a quarterback.

Dan Rooney may reside in Ireland, but he has not lost his mind, nor has his son, Steelers president Art Rooney.

The civil lawsuit against Ben Roethlisberger in Nevada would pale as a distraction to signing Vick for the reigning Super Bowl champions.

Let's forget about the groups that would protest the signing of Vick for a moment, put aside the whole "Ron Mexico" affair before his dog-fighting conviction, forget how the media would hound him and the Steelers for who knows how long, forget those Steelers who have dogs of their own who might not appreciate a dog-killer as a teammate. What would you do with him if you did sign him? He's not even eligible to play until October.

The Steelers have Dennis Dixon as their No. 3 quarterback, someone who could push Charlie Batch for the backup job to Ben Roethlisberger. Dixon is every bit as capable of running the wildcat offense as is Vick, if that's what the Steelers want. Dixon might be better at it counting that he is younger and actually has been practicing and playing the past few years while Vick made license plates or whatever they do these days behind bars.

Vick once was a dynamic quarterback, although I do not recall seeing him in any Super Bowls with the Atlanta Falcons. And what he might bring to the Steelers for a play here and a play there would be far less than the problems he would cause them.

The Steelers just do not sign people like Michael Vick. Look at their history. They may have stuck by some of their own players who got into trouble, but they do not invite potential trouble inside their own locker room, especially when it's such a marginal piece as Vick.

Plus, they and their fans already ran a quarterback out of town who had the talent of a Michael Vick and not a hint of arrests or trouble. Kordell Stewart got a bad rap here for whatever reason, even though he started in two AFC championship games, played in a Pro Bowl and was voted by his teammates as their MVP. No one quite knew how to harness his talent, though, and had him throwing when he should not have been and then fell in love with a prolific passer who came and went without much team success.

Those who think the Steelers have any interest in signing Michael Vick have no idea.
Cheap? Think before you talk

Once you get a reputation, it sticks. I've had fans ask me why the Steelers did not sign any high-profile free agents this year. One fellow, in June, asked if the Steelers would sign anyone before training camp.

Let's not mention that any free agent available in June already would have been bypassed by the entire NFL, but, when I said they likely would not sign a free agent, the response was, "Those cheap Rooneys!"

Hey, pal, cut them a break, they just won their second Super Bowl in the past four years. And chief among the reasons they have won their two most recent championships is their approach to free agency. They spend the money. Their annual spending is tight against the cap. They just try not to throw much of it away.

The Steelers are good at keeping their own, at least those players they really want to keep. The most recent example is tight end Heath Miller, who signed a six-year, $35.3 million contract extension the past week. Another is offensive tackle Max Starks. And there are plenty of examples before them.

As I've pointed out before, the Washington Redskins have had little success since owner Daniel Snyder began spending wildly on free agents the past decade. They do not award Lombardi trophies to the owner who dishes out the most money to other teams' free agents.

When free agency took hold in the NFL in 1993 with a salary cap, it was supposed to spread the wealth throughout the league and give every team an even shot at winning. I believed that was not true, that while every team conceivably does have an equal shot because of the cap, it's the smart organizations that would dominate.

That is why the Steelers and New England Patriots keep making the playoffs and contend for Super Bowls, why the New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens are consistently good, and why teams such as the Arizona Cardinals just did not get it (until they raided the Steelers for their coaches).
This ain't Tiddlywinks

Remember how Hines Ward bristled the past two training camps when Anthony Smith or some other defensive back delivered blows to a wide receiver coming across the middle?

Well, they're not supposed to do that in practice, but, if I were coach Mike Tomlin, I'd encourage it now and again this summer.

Every year, fans want to know how this receiver or that looked in spring practices, and every year the answer is the same -- they all look good, provided they are not dropping passes. How can you not look good in the spring? There are no pads and no threat someone like Ryan Clark is going to belt you coming over the middle with your outstretched arms in a spring practice.

But, when a defensive back on occasion smacks a receiver in training camp, it leaves all receivers with a little doubt as they run their patterns. How he performs knowing he is going to get hit as he reaches for a pass may be more important to a receiver's makeup than his speed.

That's why it would be nice to see someone smack Limas Sweed early this summer, and rookie Mike Wallace as well. Let's see how they respond, because the Steelers have some decisions to make at that position and that's one tool they need to evaluate.

First published on August 2, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09214/987840-66.stm#ixzz0N202TuFV

DamienThorne
08-02-2009, 10:13 AM
WOW. Nice first post. :rolleyes:

Look pal - this is a board of opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs whether or not you agree or disagree. If you disagree with the opinions posted, please do so somewhat respectfully - that's all we ask. Being a newb and calling others "self-righteous blowhards" isn't a great way to get acquainted around here with other fans who support and love the same team you do.

P.S. Please be careful when dismounting that high horse - wouldn't want you to break a bone or hurt that melon.

P.S.S. Though I'm on record here many times saying it, but just in case you don't feel like dredging through pages upon pages of comments - I don't want that vile inhumane POS anywhere near my city or my team. Anyone who injures, maims, tortures or brutally murders a child or an animal is a COWARD in my book and the Pittsburgh Steelers don't engage cowards.

Very thoughtful and witty retort O' Hometown Moderator :applaudit:

My life does not revolve around something as insignificant as a post count, nor does it make anything I have to say any less relevant because I have not sat at my computer for years trying to make friends. I have been a Steeler fan since 1973 so as far as you calling me a newb, I will just say perception is reality. In reading through the posts in this thread it seems that as long as you go along with the crowd you will be accepted here and acceptance is not my goal at all. You completely glossed over the point I was making in your PETA inspired rant that the NFL is full of people that have broken the law. I find it ironic that you go so hard on Vick when we have a weed smoker and a woman beater on the team but thats okay with you. I'm not on a high horse at all. I believe when you have two sides of an issue, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. That middle is a man who served his time in jail getting to play for whomever signs him, even OUR Steelers.
You who want to continue to punish the man for something we do all the time in this country. Every time you sit down to eat unless you are a vegetarian, an animal has been treated inhumanely. I bet you like horse racing as well. Look into what happens to the perfectly good horse that does not make money for the owners and get back to me. Im just taking the unpopular position in this thread that whether you like it or not Vick will play for someone. I could care less about becoming friendly with names on a computer screen that I will never meet. I guarantee you that there are a host of other social issues we will not see eye to eye on either. I didn't attack anyone by name, I just threw a thought up in the air. Like my old football coach used to say...if the panties fit...put them on. I do agree with you about anyone who mistreats children being a POS, but Vicks offenses didnt have anything to do with kids. By the way...the last time I checked a man who beats a woman is a coward as well. As long as they make game saving interceptions for touchdowns in a Super Bowl, I guess that's an engagement you can endorse.

DamienThorne
08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Why don't you get a life you come on here with a post like that you need to go and play tidley winks or something. The posters on Steeler fever are good people. We are family here and we don't need people like you coming in here and trashing the place up with your stupid responses.

I have a family already so that's a void I don't have a need to fill. Good people should understand the concept of forgiveness and second chances because none of us are perfect. Had I come in here and followed the crowd you would not have offered to let me play with your Tiddly Winks. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make what they have to say stupid. Try opening your mind to ideas other than whats been ingrained by your internet family.

GBMelBlount
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Good people should understand the concept of forgiveness and second chances because none of us are perfect.

Well said Damien. This is something I firmly believe and try to live by.

With regard to Vick, I am interested to see how he comes out of this terrible incident as a human being. It is amazing how positively some people respond to forgiveness and second chances. There are others, however, who appear to be incorrigible.

I guess we'll see....

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Well that's 5 minutes I'll never get back.

Vick deserves a second chance, but he'll screw up again. I'd rather he screw up with someone else other than the Steelers.

X-Terminator
08-02-2009, 11:51 AM

My life does not revolve around something as insignificant as a post count, nor does it make anything I have to say any less relevant because I have not sat at my computer for years trying to make friends. I have been a Steeler fan since 1973 so as far as you calling me a newb, I will just say perception is reality. In reading through the posts in this thread it seems that as long as you go along with the crowd you will be accepted here and acceptance is not my goal at all. You completely glossed over the point I was making in your PETA inspired rant that the NFL is full of people that have broken the law. I find it ironic that you go so hard on Vick when we have a weed smoker and a woman beater on the team but thats okay with you. I'm not on a high horse at all. I believe when you have two sides of an issue, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. That middle is a man who served his time in jail getting to play for whomever signs him, even OUR Steelers.
You who want to continue to punish the man for something we do all the time in this country. Every time you sit down to eat unless you are a vegetarian, an animal has been treated inhumanely. I bet you like horse racing as well. Look into what happens to the perfectly good horse that does not make money for the owners and get back to me. Im just taking the unpopular position in this thread that whether you like it or not Vick will play for someone. I could care less about becoming friendly with names on a computer screen that I will never meet. I guarantee you that there are a host of other social issues we will not see eye to eye on either. I didn't attack anyone by name, I just threw a thought up in the air. Like my old football coach used to say...if the panties fit...put them on. I do agree with you about anyone who mistreats children being a POS, but Vicks offenses didnt have anything to do with kids. By the way...the last time I checked a man who beats a woman is a coward as well. As long as they make game saving interceptions for touchdowns in a Super Bowl, I guess that's an engagement you can endorse.

You know, you and the other Vick apologists always bring up the "well, we have a woman beater and pot smoker on the team, so you're just a bunch of hypocrites." Well, since you weren't around during the whole James Harrison saga on this board, there were PLENTY of people, including myself and the Moderator you just brazenly mocked and attacked, who thought that Harrison should have been released after that incident. We didn't make half-assed excuses nor try to talk down to people because they disagreed. In fact, we took a LOT of heat for our stances just like we do now from the Vick apologists, because unlike you guys, we do not make excuses for people who break the law, INCLUDING OUR OWN. As for Santonio Holmes, there were many here who questioned - and STILL question to this day - whether or not he has truly grown up since he has had 2 run-ins with the law since being drafted by the Steelers. And yes, there were a few who felt he should have been released. Yes, those are truly the actions and sentiments of Steelers fans who turn a blind eye when one of our own screws up. :coffee:

Oh, and one more thing...each and every one of you Vick apologists say "well, all he did was kill a few dogs." That, of course, is NOT the real reason why he went to prison. Again, he went to prison because he was running and bankrolling an ILLEGAL gambling ring. The fact that it involved dogfighting is secondary. But you guys always seem to want to overlook that.

Bottom line...before you come on here shooting off your mouth, it would help if you knew what the hell you were talking about before you start pointing your fickle finger of blame and screaming "HYPOCRITE!" at other people because they won't cry over Michael freaking Vick.

Your 15 minutes of fame is now over. Have a nice life...NOOB.

Preacher
08-02-2009, 12:18 PM

My life does not revolve around something as insignificant as a post count, nor does it make anything I have to say any less relevant because I have not sat at my computer for years trying to make friends.

No one said anything about postcount. If you walk into a bar, do you go in there and start insulting everyone in the bar, then wonder why people start in on you? Whether you recognize it or not, this medium creates communities that are just as tight as a group of people who meet at a bar, and you come in and insult it. Nice.

I have been a Steeler fan since 1973 so as far as you calling me a newb, I will just say perception is reality.
See above retort... you are a newb... in THIS community.

In reading through the posts in this thread it seems that as long as you go along with the crowd you will be accepted here and acceptance is not my goal at all.

Nope... Go check out my last 100 or so posts and see just how much I go with the crowd here on all types of issues... yet I am accepted. As to your goal... it seems it is to say in an anonymous message board everything that you can't say in a conversation face to face with someone. . . but again, this is a community and thus, not exactly anonymous.

You completely glossed over the point I was making in your PETA inspired rant that the NFL is full of people that have broken the law. I find it ironic that you go so hard on Vick when we have a weed smoker and a woman beater on the team but thats okay with you. I'm not on a high horse at all. I believe when you have two sides of an issue, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. That middle is a man who served his time in jail getting to play for whomever signs him, even OUR Steelers.

See, this is where being a newb comes in. When Harrison slapped his baby's Momma, you should have seen the outrage on this board. It was ONLY the fact that Harrison FACED UP to what he did, RETURNED to the scene and CONFESSED to the police ON THE SPOT. Had Vick done ANY of that, it may be a different story. Furthermore, there is a major difference between a quick REACTION and a PLANNED, CALCULATED BUSINESS of dogfighting.

As for the Pits... it isn't about the dogs... it is about the character of a man that can PURPOSEFULLY and MALICIOUSLY HURT ANIMALS.

You who want to continue to punish the man for something we do all the time in this country. Every time you sit down to eat unless you are a vegetarian, an animal has been treated inhumanely. I bet you like horse racing as well. Look into what happens to the perfectly good horse that does not make money for the owners and get back to me.

See above... it isn't CLOSE to the same thing. And when a Horse breaks a leg in a race and has to be put down, it is done INSTANTLY, with as little pain as possible. Oh yeah, BTW, the horses are RACING... not FIGHTING and BIGHTING each other to the death.

Im just taking the unpopular position in this thread that whether you like it or not Vick will play for someone.

Not an unpopular position. The unpopular position is that he is ok to play for the Steelers.

I could care less about becoming friendly with names on a computer screen that I will never meet.

Hmmm... so the only reason you are friendly to people is because you have to physically meet them?

I guarantee you that there are a host of other social issues we will not see eye to eye on either. I didn't attack anyone by name, I just threw a thought up in the air. Like my old football coach used to say...if the panties fit...put them on. I do agree with you about anyone who mistreats children being a POS, but Vicks offenses didnt have anything to do with kids. By the way...the last time I checked a man who beats a woman is a coward as well. As long as they make game saving interceptions for touchdowns in a Super Bowl, I guess that's an engagement you can endorse.

See above... again, very different situation that you are assuming on... wrongly.

HometownGal
08-02-2009, 12:37 PM
No one said anything about postcount. If you walk into a bar, do you go in there and start insulting everyone in the bar, then wonder why people start in on you? Whether you recognize it or not, this medium creates communities that are just as tight as a group of people who meet at a bar, and you come in and insult it. Nice.

See above retort... you are a newb... in THIS community.

Nope... Go check out my last 100 or so posts and see just how much I go with the crowd here on all types of issues... yet I am accepted. As to your goal... it seems it is to say in an anonymous message board everything that you can't say in a conversation face to face with someone. . . but again, this is a community and thus, not exactly anonymous.

See, this is where being a newb comes in. When Harrison slapped his baby's Momma, you should have seen the outrage on this board. It was ONLY the fact that Harrison FACED UP to what he did, RETURNED to the scene and CONFESSED to the police ON THE SPOT. Had Vick done ANY of that, it may be a different story. Furthermore, there is a major difference between a quick REACTION and a PLANNED, CALCULATED BUSINESS of dogfighting.

As for the Pits... it isn't about the dogs... it is about the character of a man that can PURPOSEFULLY and MALICIOUSLY HURT ANIMALS.

See above... it isn't CLOSE to the same thing. And when a Horse breaks a leg in a race and has to be put down, it is done INSTANTLY, with as little pain as possible. Oh yeah, BTW, the horses are RACING... not FIGHTING and BIGHTING each other to the death.

Not an unpopular position. The unpopular position is that he is ok to play for the Steelers.

Hmmm... so the only reason you are friendly to people is because you have to physically meet them?

See above... again, very different situation that you are assuming on... wrongly.

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit: Couldn't have said it any better, Father. I might add that the charges against both James Harrison and Santonio Holmes with regard to the alleged abuse against their ladies were dropped. Neither was convicted of anything. Michael Vick is a felon.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/applause.gif

revefsreleets
08-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Mike Vick got caught...if he didn't, he'd still be fighting dogs. He's contrite only because he MUST be. This is not a case of redemption and forgiveness, it's a case of crime and punishment and the consequences that such crimes bring about (like felons being stripped of the right to vote)...oh, and money....lot's and lots of money.

So spare the histrionics and hypocrisy...by the second paragraph of your post, you are fully engaged in the EXACT same behavior you were denigrating everyone else for in your first line, you were just being holier and more self-righteous than US.

Indo
08-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Wow. Nice rant.
Before you spout off any further, I suggest you educate yourself.
Start with PeTA---They advocate killing ALL American Pit Bull Terriers and exterminating the breed forever. Nice, huh. Ingrid Newkirk is insane.
I have said this before (in this thread)---it is about Character and Integrity.
Vick has neither. Sitting in"jail" (mostly home arrest) did not make him suddenly acquire either of those.
There is a HUGE difference between someone who broke the steroid policy and someone who was involved in a dog-fighting/gambling ring.
Apparently you don't see the difference.

Indo
08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Mike Vick got caught...if he didn't, he'd still be fighting dogs. He's contrite only because he MUST be. This is not a case of redemption and forgiveness, it's a case of crime and punishment and the consequences that such crimes bring about (like felons being stripped of the right to vote)...oh, and money....lot's and lots of money.

So spare the histrionics and hypocrisy...by the second paragraph of your post, you are fully engaged in the EXACT same behavior you were denigrating everyone else for in your first line, you were just being holier and more self-righteous than US.

Exactly.
Apparently Revs types faster than I do 'cause this was my next post

Galax Steeler
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I have a family already so that's a void I don't have a need to fill. Good people should understand the concept of forgiveness and second chances because none of us are perfect. Had I come in here and followed the crowd you would not have offered to let me play with your Tiddly Winks. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make what they have to say stupid. Try opening your mind to ideas other than whats been ingrained by your internet family.

I don't have a problem with you posting here and like you said everyone has opinions but to come on here with a post like that is just plain stupid. I didn't say everyone has to agree with me. You just need to lighten up with you responses and then maybe you can get some respect around here.

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
PETA is one of the most hypocritical organizations on the face of the planet.

steelerdave1969
08-02-2009, 01:18 PM
He, Michael Vick, has done his time. There is a lot of other people that have done worst and are still living a free life... killin children is legal.. killin dogs is not... whats wrong with this picture?

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
*SIGH*

For the last time, it wasn't that he was fighting dogs. It was that he took them across state lines for the purposes of betting on them. If it was just dog fighting, he wouldn't have drawn the attention of the Feds.

He did his time, he should be allowed to play football again. Just not for the Steelers.

PS: If you support dog fighting at all, you're a piece of crap who needs to burn in hell for a long long time.

Preacher
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
*SIGH*

For the last time, it wasn't that he was fighting dogs. It was that he took them across state lines for the purposes of betting on them. If it was just dog fighting, he wouldn't have drawn the attention of the Feds.

He did his time, he should be allowed to play football again. Just not for the Steelers.

PS: If you support dog fighting at all, you're a piece of crap who needs to burn in hell for a long long time.

and honestly, I think that is the position of most of the people here. He has done his time. He has the right to play again, But teams have the right to say No too.

Fullback&Punter
08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Patriots owner Kraft says they dont want Vick. One more team out. I still say the fact the Steelers arent saying anything is a sign they are interested.

And if Vick still has that gambling ring going I'd like a $1,000 on a repeat

jjpro11
08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
the hell with Vick.. i am so sick of hearing his name already and he isn't even on an NFL roster. he is not signing with the Steelers, i can tell you point blank the Rooneys would not sign him and do that to their fans. Tomlin may have a different opinion on the matter, but it ultimately comes down to the Rooneys and there is no way in hell they are bringing someone like that on board. they know damn well the kind of fan base they have, and they are not going to risk any negative reaction from that fan base just to bring in a guy like Vick, who honestly, was never very good to begin with. ask yourself, when was the last time the Steelers actually signed a guy with that kind of background and baggage?

coming off a Super Bowl win, the last thing the Steelers need is a distraction like Vick. we already saw what the distraction of Cowher did to us following the Super Bowl win in 05. we already have the Ben situation to deal with, although i don't believe that will have an impact on the team. we sure as hell do not need Vick.

Fordy
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
How many years should PETA get for killing Animals?

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

What does peta have to with ANYTHING concerning this topic??? people that care about animals support the ASPCA, Humane society and local shelters....

ohhh boooo hoooo some of my fellow steeler fans dont want a career 53 percent passer who couldnt find anything better to do with his millions of dollars than torture animals!!!! boo hoooo life isnt fair...

wahhhhhhhhhhhhh... wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... wahhhhhhhhhhhh...

stillers4me
08-02-2009, 05:14 PM
and honestly, I think that is the position of most of the people here. He has done his time. He has the right to play again, But teams have the right to say No too.

Maybe that was Goodell's thought all along. He saves face by giving the guy his chance, knowing there was very little possibility that any team was going to give him one. :coffee:

HometownGal
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
What does peta have to with ANYTHING concerning this topic??? people that care about animals support the ASPCA, Humane society and local shelters....

ohhh boooo hoooo some of my fellow steeler fans dont want a career 53 percent passer who couldnt find anything better to do with his millions of dollars than torture animals!!!! boo hoooo life isnt fair...

wahhhhhhhhhhhhh... wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... wahhhhhhhhhhhh...

Vick was a piece of shit before he decided to bankroll and bet on dog fighting and torture, main and kill the dogs when they didn't meet his standards. Did you ever bother to take a few minutes and read up on him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick

Incidents, criminal troubles

Shortly after Vick came to Atlanta, he had a chance encounter with Andrew Young, a black member of the Falcons' board of directors and an ordained minister. During his long career, Andrew Young had served as an aide to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and as Atlanta's mayor. Young later recalled for Sports Illustrated in a 2007 article that he had concerns that Vick hadn't joined a local church, and hung out almost exclusively with friends from his hometown of Newport News.[27]

In their brief talk back in August 2002, Young told Vick that being a star is a burden and that he needed to surround himself with smart, trustworthy people. Young felt that Vick should begin socializing with prominent African-Americans from Atlanta who could provide advice on handling life in the public spotlight. However, he noted that Vick continued to head back home at almost every opportunity and continued to socialize almost exclusively with friends connected to the old neighborhood, some of whom would later be complicit in his crimes. It was a behavior Young later labeled "ghetto loyalty". Vick never embraced the Atlanta community, and never attended the local church Young had recommended. Over the next five years, Young said he attempted to steer Vick toward a church near Newport News that he hoped Vick would attend, without success.[28]

Young told Sports Illustrated that he feels that he reached out to Vick at a pivotal moment in Vick's maturation, but "everything I tried failed."

Vick's legal troubles which were to follow almost entirely involved his old circle of friends from the old neighborhood back in Virginia. Warnings from his mother and coach in Atlanta went unheeded even as minor incidents began occurring.

Early incidents

Between his selection by the Atlanta Falcons in the 2001 NFL Draft and early 2007, Vick was allegedly involved several incidents or events:

In 2007, conflicting statements were made by his estranged parents about possible dogfighting activities in 2001. Michael Boddie, his father, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Michael Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones which the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. He stated "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."[29] Within days, Michael Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, told the Newport News Daily Press "There was no dogfighting [at our home]. There were no cages

In early 2004, two men were arrested in Virginia for distributing marijuana. The truck they were driving was registered to Michael Vick. Falcons coach Dan Reeves recalled that he lectured Vick at that time on the importance of reputation, on choosing the right friends, on staying out of trouble for the good of his team. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution quoted Reeves as having told Vick: "You are an Atlanta Falcon...Whatever you do is going to be a reflection on all of us, not just you."[31]
On October 10, 2004, Vick and the other members of his party including employee Quanis Phillips were at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport on their way to board an AirTran flight. While they were passing through a security checkpoint with Vick, a security camera caught Phillips and Todd Harris picking up an expensive-appearing watch (either a Rolex or a fake) which belonged to Alvin Spencer, a security screener.[32] After watching the theft on a video tape, Spencer filed a police report. However, he claimed that Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, known as the Falcons' "fixer", interfered with the investigation.[31] Although Vick representatives declined to make him available for an Atlanta police inquiry, six days later Spencer did get the watch back from them, according to the Washington Post.

In March 2005, Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from him in the autumn of 2002, and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[33] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus he knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006 Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had been settled out of court under undisclosed terms.[34] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's number 7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back, as a reference to his lawsuit. The NFL has since banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.

November 26, 2006 – After a Falcons loss to the New Orleans Saints in the Georgia Dome, in apparent reaction to fans booing, Vick made an obscene gesture at fans, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity. (How utterly classy :rolleyes:)

January 17, 2007 – Vick surrendered a water bottle which had a hidden compartment to security personnel at Miami International Airport. "The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright," police said. Test results indicated there were no illegal substances in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrongdoing.[37] Vick announced that the water bottle was a jewelry stash box, and that the substance in question had been jewelry. (Riiiiiighto. :jerkit:)

On Tuesday, April 24, 2007, Michael Vick was scheduled to lobby on Capitol Hill, hoping to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for after-school programs. However, Vick missed a connecting flight in Atlanta on Monday to Reagan National Airport in Arlington, Virginia. He later failed to show-up for another seat booked for him later that evening. On Tuesday morning, he did not attend his scheduled appearance at the congressional breakfast where he also was to be honored for his foundation's work with after-school projects in Georgia and Virginia.[39] Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, accepted an award from the Afterschool Alliance on her son's behalf.

On top of everything else, he is one of the most, if not THE most, overrated QB's to ever play in the NFL, imho. We have RB's to run the football for pity's sake. I'd rather have Brady Queer than that turd.

I luv ya Fordy, but did it ever occur to you Vick-e-teers that we Steelers fans who are so opposed to a Vick signing are disgusted and appalled at the thought of a felon (I know - I know - he did his time yada, yada, yada :blah:) with a widely checkered past, a bad attitude and an ego bigger than The Refrigerator Perry's ass infecting our lockeroom and giving a black-eye to the good name and outstanding reputation of the team we love and support has and has had for decades? :doh: What part of that can't you people understand? :banging:

Fordy
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Vick was a piece of shit before he decided to bankroll and bet on dog fighting and torture, main and kill the dogs when they didn't meet his standards. Did you ever bother to take a few minutes and read up on him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick

On top of everything else, he is one of the most, if not THE most, overrated QB's to ever play in the NFL, imho. We have RB's to run the football for pity's sake. I'd rather have Brady Queer than that turd.

I luv ya Fordy, but did it ever occur to you Vick-e-teers that we Steelers fans who are so opposed to a Vick signing are disgusted and appalled at the thought of a felon (I know - I know - he did his time yada, yada, yada :blah:) with a widely checkered past, a bad attitude and an ego bigger than The Refrigerator Perry's ass infecting our lockeroom and giving a black-eye to the good name and outstanding reputation of the team we love and support has and has had for decades? :doh: What part of that can't you people understand? :banging:

you misunderstood my post, HTG.. I was talking like I was one of the Vick supporters in this thread. I hate Vick, dont want him on the Steelers one bit- He doesnt fit the Steelers mold. He could not find anything better to do with his millions of dollars than torture animals which is amazingly pathetic..He could have spent his days on the beach, any gym with the finest equipment he wanted, with beautiful women, yet he chose to spend his free time torturing and killing dogs. What a complete idiot and failure at life. I cant stand all these idiots in this thread crying because most of us dont want him on the team. Most of these idiots cant comprehend that some of us can care about people as well as animals. They assume if we are anti-Vick than we care more about animals than people. and are peta freaks. I was pointing out to this moron that peta has zero to do with this thread.. Most people that I know who care about animals and treat them well are NOT PETA freaks and DO NOT care more about animals than people. They simply just treat animals kindly...The pro-Vick people in this thread simply cant understand this for some reason..

HometownGal
08-02-2009, 06:17 PM
you misunderstood my post, HTG.. I was talking like I was one of the Vick supporters in this thread. I hate Vick, dont want him on the Steelers one bit- He doesnt fit the Steelers mold. He could not find anything better to do with his millions of dollars than torture animals which is amazingly pathetic..He could have spent his days on the beach, any gym with the finest equipment he wanted, with beautiful women, yet he chose to spend his free time torturing and killing dogs. What a complete idiot and failure at life. I cant stand all these idiots in this thread crying because most of us dont want him on the team. Most of these idiots cant comprehend that some of us can care about people as well as animals. They assume if we are anti-Vick than we care more about animals than people. and are peta freaks. I was pointing out to this moron that peta has zero to do with this thread.. Most people that I know who care about animals and treat them well are NOT PETA freaks and DO NOT care more about animals than people. They simply just treat animals kindly...The pro-Vick people in this thread simply cant understand this for some reason..

Yes - I did understand you me dear - I apologize. :hug:

I am an animal lover but like you, am not a PETA freak. Those people are certifiable loons imho.

My post above can be re-directed to the Vick-e-teers who want that cesspool wearing the B & G.

Well said. :drink:

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Exactly. Except for the fact that his supporters will be screaming collusion if he doesn't get a contract.

jjpro11
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
i cannot believe people on here actually want him on our team. how could you possibly root for such a sicko like that? we are talking about one sick human being here. i'll tell you right now that i do not want to see him in the league period... the hell with a second chance, he is sick in the head. but that is obviously out of the question as he has been reinstated. seeing his face repulses me, just like Leonard Little. Little was so remorseful for his manslaughter conviction, that six years later he went out and got himself a second DUI. these two losers shouldn't be allowed to make millions playing football. i hope they both suffer career ending injuries.

not every player on this team is a saint.. i know that full and well.. but are they sick in the head like Mike Vick? no. and if any of them are, i would want them cut on the spot.

the_king_from_leon
08-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Im interested to see if Vick is going to start working alongside PETA or at least show some remorse. I know he has done 2 years and that he would have thought about those crimes a lot over that time.

Id still be interested to see if he can cut it in the NFL though and Im sure that most people when asked would be too

Steelers & I
08-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I don't know how we all managed without him. We must've been running into walls!

Yes Sir, that dude's attempt to force Vick onto us :yap: was very reminiscent of the times when we were infants and mommy was trying to spoon that spinach baby food into our mouths :pin: We kept spitting it out and she kept spooning it off of our chins and back into our mouths :yuck:. Eventually we gave in and swallowed it and now we crave it all the time :drool:

Sometimes we just need to realize that others know what's best for us. :bowdown:

Venom
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Heard on Espn radio ( Nyc ) that Michael Vick was asked to meet two teams, the Patriots and the Steelers. Tony Dungy , Vicks " advisor " said that Mike Tomlin is a great guy and should think about joing the Steelers. Do we really need him ????

Wildcat97
08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
First let me say "Hey" to the forum!! I'm new so forgive me if I stumble.

I think that Vick could be useful. Since Pittsburgh always has had that "slash" player, i.e. Randle El, K. Stewart, he could add another dimension to the offense. Just a thought...:hatsoff:

stlrz fan
08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I cannot see the Steeler organization even considering a player so contrary to what the Steelers and the Roony family stand for. Not worth it.

HometownGal
08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Folks - we already have an ongoing Vick thread which is over 300 posts long, so I'm going to move these posts over there.

SteeleReign
08-03-2009, 09:34 AM
First let me say "Hey" to the forum!! I'm new so forgive me if I stumble.

I think that Vick could be useful. Since Pittsburgh always has had that "slash" player, i.e. Randle El, K. Stewart, he could add another dimension to the offense. Just a thought...:hatsoff:

While I agree that Vick's skills are tempting, I think this would soil our spartan reputation. I don't want to become an NFL halfway house for these knuckleheads that can't stay out of trouble. It says a lot that we have a coach & ownership that feels they can reform guys like Vick, but I don't want to go down that road.

Most Steeler fans knew that Plaxico was trouble waiting to happen, and, well....you know the rest. I, for one, was glad when Burress left because I had a feeling that he was gonna cause trouble and become a distraction.

PLEASE.....NO VICK!!!

J Dogg
08-03-2009, 09:49 AM
If Pittsburgh wanted a guy with Vick's skill, but less bagage, they would have gone after WVU's Pat White in the draft.

I have a really hard time seeing Mike Tomlin having enough pull with the Rooneys to get a reclamation project like Vick on the team.

stlrz fan
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Dan Snyder will end up throwing money at him before it's all over.

mmalone
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Dennis Dixon was a great college player that injured his knee and hasn't done anything since. I dont think that opposing defenses would be to worried if Dixon lined up in the back field. Sure he has the athleticism, but doesnt everybody in the NFL.

what can Dennis do after an ACL? he had to wait 1 1/2 years to recoup. this is his year to come out. we need to make him #2 and see how he plays.

Brady is great already after his ACL... Palmer is great after his 3 acl's, Rivers is great after his acl...

So Dixon, who was to be a first round QB pick should be great this year.. too.. right?

Screw Vick... let the pats sign him. they wont... there smarter than that.

the Vikings will sign him if anyone.. They have a strange FO...

Wildcat97
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
If Pittsburgh wanted a guy with Vick's skill, but less bagage, they would have gone after WVU's Pat White in the draft.

Vick is a proven talent in the NFL. Look, I was as ticked off as the next guy when I found out what he did. I have had dogs all my life and can't image the callous nature of someone who would do that. That being said, he did his time and someone should give him a chance. I loved watching Pat White. I don't know that he will prove to be a 1000 yard rusher and passer as Vick is/was.

J Dogg
08-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Vick is a proven talent in the NFL. Look, I was as ticked off as the next guy when I found out what he did. I have had dogs all my life and can't image the callous nature of someone who would do that. That being said, he did his time and someone should give him a chance. I loved watching Pat White. I don't know that he will prove to be a 1000 yard rusher and passer as Vick is/was.

:rofl:

If you call a 51% passer a proven talent.

Indo
08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a Lot to say about this topic---but don't really have the time...
But... A bit of education---

PeTA is run by Ingrid Newkirk----we will get back to her

PeTA, if you don't know, is Full of Sh*t. They pretend to be animal rights activists while all the time advocating killing. Their animal shelters have the highest kill rate in the country.

http://www.nokillnow.com/PETAIngridNewkirkResign.htm

Back to Ingrid... this is her will

http://www.peta.org/feat/newkirk/will.html

Some may ask what this all has to do with Vick---
Not a whole lot---but I do think it is related
While PeTA actively protests dogfighting, they advocate killing ALL American Pit Bull Terriers....they want to completely eradicate the breed. Nice, huh, for an animal rights organization.

I have given my opinion regarding Vick (apparently reflected by many others on this forum)
Steelers don't need him. I'm fairly certain they don't want him.

Psyychoward86
08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Dan Snyder will end up throwing money at him before it's all over.

I think that's the team that actually picks him up...

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
If the pats took a flier, it tells me one thing: Vick has lost some of his physical talent...there is no low-life too low for them to sign, so he must just not be able to ball anymore.

jjpro11
08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Dixon has more upside than Vick at this point and is cheaper... it just baffles me why people want him on the team so bad.

J Dogg
08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Dixon has more upside than Vick at this point and is cheaper... it just baffles me why people want him on the team so bad.

I think I know the answer......but I'm not going there.

harts
08-05-2009, 12:25 AM
That is an uninformed and simply stupid statement.

I have been deer hunting but I have never:

1) starved a deer to death
2) hung a deer by its neck with a nylon rope nailed to a 2X4 between two trees
3) drowned a deer by putting its head in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
4) forced a deer into a ring to be slowly mauled to death.

In regards to killing deer...It might surprise you to find out that someone killed a cow for your BigMac...But dont worry, that will be our secret.:doh:

And as for implying that those who dont like Vick are somehow devaluing human life...:bs:

it is a weak arguement to somehow imply that because people have ethics towards animals that they dont have ethics towards humans. Thats lame and weak. Why can't they have ethics towards both? Because it doesnt fit your method of debate? Or because your own facts are so weak that you are lamely trying to elevate yourself above others by throwing in an unproven fact about others ethics?

Very sad.

I will try to answer this one without coming off as condescending

As for the deer you shot did you kill him for food or for "Sport"?
Most people who shoot deer dont do it for the food they do it to have a mantel piece for their living room

The difference in how you killed the animal vs Vick killed the dogs .... is a "moralistic" sense of a righteous kill
Your intent and final result was that of death in regards to the deer
Was it not?

Dead is dead is it not?

people are on hear saying that Vick is a POS because of what he did to those dogs.....but some of these same people turn a blind eye to deer hunting and a bunch of other misdeeds by the other NFL players that are far worse than what Vick did

In so far as ethics are concerned it's not really about that with me in regards to Vick.

I am just pointing out the unequal/unfair/unjust treatment of Vick's case by the "Fans" and the King (who needs to be dethroned and has way too much power) Goodell

According to your post you have one set of ethics for the Deer when you hunt (death by bullet most likely) and the House Dog .. cool

Do I think people who hunt deer are serial killers?
Absolutely not
I also dont believe Vick is a bad person either because of this doggy gate....

I am hoping VICK signs here just to see the reaction of some of the posters....... 33 pages on VICK is some serious dislike out there ......

OP couldnt even wait for the first post....... OP started on MIke from the Post title:
Michael Vick...BOO!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hilarious

HometownGal
08-05-2009, 07:30 AM
people are on hear saying that Vick is a POS because of what he did to those dogs.....but some of these same people turn a blind eye to deer hunting and a bunch of other misdeeds by the other NFL players that are far worse than what Vick did

Do people who deer hunt breed the deer to fight until one of them dies a barbaric death? Do people who deer hunt bet on deer fighting? Do people who deer hunt maim and torture those animals because they didn't live up to their expectations? Other than in China and some of the 3rd world countries - do people EAT dogs?

Apples and oranges. :coffee:

OP couldnt even wait for the first post....... OP started on MIke from the Post title:
Michael Vick...BOO!!!!!!

Hilarious

Condescending, no? :jerkit:

Dillinger-63
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Just FYI,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4394427&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Preacher
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Just FYI,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4394427&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

He's right (video), New England and Pittsburgh are great places for vick with the strong lockeroom and leadership.

As I have said before, Pittsburgh would be a great fit for Vick, Vick would NOT be a great fit for Pittsburgh.

fansince'76
08-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Gonna laugh if nobody picks him up....

Preacher
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Gonna laugh if nobody picks him up....

Yep, though I think he does get picked up as insurance after the first couple preseason games.

mesaSteeler
08-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Steelers mask interest in quarterback Vick
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_637866.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It's not so much what Mike Tomlin said but rather what the Steelers coach didn't say on the subject of Michael Vick.

Tomlin reiterated Tuesday that the Steelers are doing their "due diligence" on all free agents, and that includes the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback who served nearly two years in prison for his part in running an illegal dog-fighting ring.

In short, Tomlin didn't rule out the Steelers having interest in Vick despite being given a second chance to do so since training camp start.

"If people are capable of helping us win, we're going to have a level of interest in those guys," Tomlin said yesterday at a news conference at St. Vincent. "I'm never going to discuss free agents individually. I don't think that's appropriate. I think that that conversation could be endless. We do our due diligence on guys that have a professional skill level and of course (Vick) is one of them."

The Steelers appear to be set at quarterback, with starter Ben Roethlisberger and reserves Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon.

But the Steelers know how quickly the situation could change because of an injury.

A little more than a year ago, Batch broke his collarbone in the preseason opener and the Steelers were forced to scramble for a replacement with Dixon not ready to become the No. 2 quarterback.

They signed veteran Byron Leftwich, and he gave the Steelers a solid backup behind Roethlisberger.

Vick, 29, has not played in the NFL since 2006 because of his legal problems. The three-time Pro Bowler was recently reinstated to the NFL on a contingent basis by commissioner Roger Goodell, and the Washington Post has reported that at least five teams are interested in signing him.

While erratic as a passer in the six seasons he played for Atlanta, Vick was the top running quarterback in the league and perhaps of all time.

"I hope whatever team he goes to we don't have to play them, because he's a problem," Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said, "and I think whatever team that gets him would be lucky to have him."

The Steelers have been linked to Vick for multiple reasons.

He and Tomlin hail from the Tidewater region in Virginia, and former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy has been serving as an adviser to Vick.

Dungy gave Tomlin his first NFL coaching job, and he has ties to the Steelers as both a player and a coach. Joel Segal, Vick's agent, did not respond to an e-mail asking if the Steelers are interested in Vick.

Said Tomlin, "If I start commenting on Michael Vick, then I'll be commenting on Plaxico Burress and everybody else that turns up on the (waiver) wire."

Clark echoed a sentiment that a lot of Steelers voiced when they reported to camp July 31 and were asked about Vick.

Vick, Clark said, has paid his debt to society and "without question" deserves a second chance.

"He seems very sincere in his apology. He seems sincere in wanting to change, so you definitely want something good to happen for him," Clark said. "I think people so often forget about their faults. I think people tend to judge on the things they don't do very quickly and very swiftly, and I think it's unfair and it's sad."

The Steelers have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Vick because of the stability of their organization.

"I think he would fit well here, not just because of what he can do on the field but personality wise," Clark said. "With the leaders we have, we welcome anyone that wants to be a part of what we want to do and comes in with the right attitude."

4xSBChamps
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Said Tomlin, "If I start commenting on Michael Vick, then I'll be commenting on Plaxico Burress and everybody else that turns up on the (waiver) wire."

as-much-as anything, this is why I believe 'em Stillers haven't said anything either-way on Vick (although I highly doubt they have much interest in him), because it'll pry the lid off a can of worms they don't want, or need, to open:
Vick needs 'em Stillers..... 'em Stillers don't need Vick

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd be fine with Vick coming to the Steelers. And I'd be fine with him not coming here. Either way, I'll be a Steelers fan. The only thing that would be annoying is the PETA people. He served his time. He deserves his second chance.

4n2t0
08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
It would be nice to bring Vick on and re-evaluate his talent. Is he still the closest mimic to those "Matrix" like moves? How are his legs? Arm strength? Vick was one of the most dynamic players to ever play in the NFL.

Notice I didn't mention the dogs? Oops...personally I don't care, even a little.

Preacher
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
If Ben gets injured severely in a game, THEN I want us to look at Vick, as well as a few other QB's out there... including a phone call to Favre.

However, that is not the reality now, thus, I don't want him now.

Nadroj 20
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
As far as letting vick back into the league im fine with because he commited the crime and did the time and frankly shouldnt be punished by the NFL anymore...as for him coming to the Steelers i guess i dont care but i dont see it happening.

stillers4me
08-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I have no feeling one way or the other. He'll play somewhere regardless of what I think. I'd rather not see him on the Steelers. We don't need him, we won 2 Superbowls without him and can win another one without him.

I would never stop being a Steelers fan because of one player.

SteelLloyd95
08-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I do not quiet understand the anger on this issue. At first I was against signing Vick because of the Steelers reputation of being quality characters, etc.
However, everyone does deserve a second chance and he has paid a serious price for his mistakes.
I am sorry, but dog fighting is not as serious as killing/hurting people. I like dogs, but come on, Stallworth should get more time for killing people while being wasted. Plus, we can count a number of NFL players (RayRay, Jamal Lewis, etc) who have come back and succeeded after hurting HUMANS not dogs.
He is not going to demand much money, he just wants to play. He could give us wrinkles at WR and maybe a return man?!?
The only serious drawback I see is the media circus crap that would come with a signing. We already have Ben's circus, so this would triple the crap and become a serious distraction.
Nevertheless, I would not be too upset, it might be worth it.

GodofGridiron
08-13-2009, 12:59 AM

Steelers brass have more insight and work much better at assembling talent than us sideline gm's.

But with your stance and others who feel the same way you do, i ask sincerely, if Tomlin was cool with it and management went forward with it, would you disassociate your loyalty for this team ?

I think lots of folks get overly emotional on things.

Dogfighting is predominately a sport thats prominent in the rural areas of the south, in some urban areas abroad. Culturally African Americans see dogs differently than some Anglos. Where i grew up, dogs were animals that were to be left outside, to guard valuables or property or typically for protection. They didnt ride in cars except when transported to the veterinarian for shots or medical care. We didnt dress dogs in clothing, or let them sleep in beds in the house, or eat drink from the same dishes that we do. We saw them as companions but on a lesser level than what some Anglos do. I knew dogfights occured in surrounding neighborhoods but it wasnt very common.

To those arguing in favor of hunting, theres a slight difference in this sport than dogfighting of course but again, you have a creature in its element doing what it does by instinct thats suddenly taken out with a bullet or arrow. Its instant death but death still. Youre killing an animal still. AN animal that hasnt inflicted any harm to you nor the environment, but again its called a sport. Different but not much.

Not condoning bloodsports but you cant elevate hunting that much above what Vick did as acceptable. I dont care how u try and rationalize it.

HometownGal
08-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Steelers brass have more insight and work much better at assembling talent than us sideline gm's.

Absolutely they do and I've never once on this board insinuated otherwise. That being said - Michael Vick is NOT talent, imho. He's not effective as a QB and we have plenty of RB's to carry the ball across the line.

But with your stance and others who feel the same way you do, i ask sincerely, if Tomlin was cool with it and management went forward with it, would you disassociate your loyalty for this team ?

I can't answer for others, so I'll answer on my own behalf here (though I answered this ridiculous question before when it was posed earlier in this thread). I am a diehard fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers as a TEAM and IF in the unlikely event Vick became a Steeler, it wouldn't change my support of and loyalty to a team I've loved for over 40 years. Simply put - I just wouldn't be happy about it.

ANDYMISIU
08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I have a lot of respect for Tony Dungy and if he is willing to risk his name and reputation for what he's seen in Vick, then I have to believe that Vick is a changed person. Tony is well respected as a football coach, in the community, and as a human being. Dungy is the only person who's had the chance to sit one on one with Vick and get a feel as to where he is mentally. Dungy is Vicks mentor and has stuck his neck out for the guy publicly. I believe in second chances and anyone who doesn't is a hypocrite, think about it.

Lambertfan
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
OK How about the drunk drivers and wife beaters....

Tankus_Maximus
08-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Man, if the Steelers did sign Vick...that would be ironic considering their closest rival resides in The Dawg Pound.

revefsreleets
08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
341 posts about something that will never, ever happen.

Hmmpf!

My guess is Tomlin is doing some big up's for Dungy and Vick, legitimizing his claim to come back by pinning a team with an impeccable reputation like the Steelers to a possible come back. While WE have no desire for Vick, our feigned interest might pique some other lesser run organization into acting...

SteelRNation
08-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm not a big Vick fan. The guy is a horrible qb. But as far as his legal troubles, he did his time and deserves another chance. If he were to come here for cheap and reprise the roll that Randle El played then I wouldnt have a problem. But I still cant see that happening with Dixon on the roster.

xfl2001fan
08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm not a big Vick fan. The guy is a horrible qb. But as far as his legal troubles, he did his time and deserves another chance. If he were to come here for cheap and reprise the roll that Randle El played then I wouldnt have a problem. But I still cant see that happening with Dixon on the roster.

Sorry, gotta raise the "BS" Flag to Full-Mast on this one!

Why does he "deserve" another chance? I wouldn't get another chance at being a Soldier if I had done this. Cops wouldn't get a second chance at being cops over something like this.

The_WARDen
08-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Absolutely they do and I've never once on this board insinuated otherwise. That being said - Michael Vick is NOT talent, imho. He's not effective as a QB and we have plenty of RB's to carry the ball across the line.

I can't answer for others, so I'll answer on my own behalf here (though I answered this ridiculous question before when it was posed earlier in this thread). I am a diehard fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers as a TEAM and IF in the unlikely event Vick became a Steeler, it wouldn't change my support of and loyalty to a team I've loved for over 40 years. Simply put - I just wouldn't be happy about it.

and I'd root for him to have a career ending injury in his 1st practice...therefore, never actually soiling the gameday uniform.

SteelRNation
08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Sorry, gotta raise the "BS" Flag to Full-Mast on this one!

Why does he "deserve" another chance? I wouldn't get another chance at being a Soldier if I had done this. Cops wouldn't get a second chance at being cops over something like this.

Thats why they have prisons. To punish those that have done wrong and make them pay for it. Are you saying people shouldnt be allowed to make a living after serving time? That they should be discarded and thrown in the trash never to be heard from again? And you cant say "sure they can work at X but not at Y." Its either one or the other...you either believe they should be allowed to work after serving time or you dont. And just because you listed the military and law enforcement as two professions that wouldnt allow people back doesnt make it right. Although, I can see the law enforcement angle just because it is the very profession that he went against. Its kinda like a bank embezzler not getting a second chance at a bank after serving time for stealing their money. But Vick wasnt making football players kill each other in a ring or betting on the sport so why doesnt he deserve another chance?

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-13-2009, 02:09 PM
So did you guys turn on James Harrison when he beat his wife? Just wondering. And for the record, I love me some Silverback. The only reason he had this phenomenal 2008-09 season is because he got a second chance.

xfl2001fan
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats why they have prisons. To punish those that have done wrong and make them pay for it. Are you saying people shouldnt be allowed to make a living after serving time? That they should be discarded and thrown in the trash never to be heard from again? And you cant say "sure they can work at X but not at Y." Its either one or the other...you either believe they should be allowed to work after serving time or you dont. And just because you listed the military and law enforcement as two professions that wouldnt allow people back doesnt make it right. Although, I can see the law enforcement angle just because it is the very profession that he went against. Its kinda like a bank embezzler not getting a second chance at a bank after serving time for stealing their money. But Vick wasnt making football players kill each other in a ring or betting on the sport so why doesnt he deserve another chance?

"BS" Flag is still flapping in the wind here at full-mast buddy.

Are people with a Felony on their record allowed to Vote? I have heard that the answer is no. Playing in the NFL isn't a right, it's a privilge. Plain and simple. He can get a normal job like any other Felon would have to...but he should not be allowed back into an elite, high-profile position that he screwed the pooch on royally. He should not be allowed back into the NFL when he blatantly bold-faced lied to the commissioner, the owner of the Falcons and millions of NFL fans around the world.

He wants a job in contstruction...all the more power to him. I don't want to see the dirt bag soil ANY NFL uniform ever again. Is this the kind of example we want to set for our kids? You can lie, have felonious charges on your record...but still be allowed the privelige of playing the game you spurned with your idiocy...if you're rich/athletic enough? There are hundreds (if not thousands) of other athletes out there wanting a shot in the NFL who are far cleaner than this guy. He wasn't even that good to begin with. Just a fast RB with a strong arm.

OneForTheToe
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
So did you guys turn on James Harrison when he beat his wife? Just wondering. And for the record, I love me some Silverback. The only reason he had this phenomenal 2008-09 season is because he got a second chance.

It wasn't his wife and he slapped her once. I not defending him because it was still an assault, but the severity and frequency of the actions are relevant. He was ordered to anger management classes which he completed. That is a far cry from going to the federal pen for interstate gambling on dog fighting after you told the Commissioner to his face that you were innocent. . Also, Vick (Ron Mexico) had a history even before the feds got their claws into him. I admit even without Vick's bad history of behavior, I worry a bit that James will be able to control himself, without incident, for 4 years. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Nevertheless, we don't need Vick. If another team wants him - so be it. If the Rooney's are doing Dungy a favor by feinting interest in Vick, that is fine also.

Psyychoward86
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Uh, he went to anger management? For the record as said before me, not much happened really. Vick did things far worse, and i think the fact that Goodell has given him another chance is really just to pick the money out of NFL fans pockets and get the ratings up. What sad human beings. The both of them!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
So Harrison went to Anger Management classes and Vick went to jail. They both served their punishment for their actions. And they both deserve their second chance now. Right?

OneForTheToe
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
So Harrison went to Anger Management classes and Vick went to jail. They both served their punishment for their actions. And they both deserve their second chance now. Right?

Sure, but I didn't want Vick on the Steelers even before he got caught with the dog fighting/gambling incidents because he has always been knuckle head.

Let him go to Buffalo. TO and Vick together.

SteelRNation
08-13-2009, 03:51 PM
"BS" Flag is still flapping in the wind here at full-mast buddy.

Are people with a Felony on their record allowed to Vote? I have heard that the answer is no. Playing in the NFL isn't a right, it's a privilge. Plain and simple. He can get a normal job like any other Felon would have to...but he should not be allowed back into an elite, high-profile position that he screwed the pooch on royally. He should not be allowed back into the NFL when he blatantly bold-faced lied to the commissioner, the owner of the Falcons and millions of NFL fans around the world.

He wants a job in contstruction...all the more power to him. I don't want to see the dirt bag soil ANY NFL uniform ever again. Is this the kind of example we want to set for our kids? You can lie, have felonious charges on your record...but still be allowed the privelige of playing the game you spurned with your idiocy...if you're rich/athletic enough? There are hundreds (if not thousands) of other athletes out there wanting a shot in the NFL who are far cleaner than this guy. He wasn't even that good to begin with. Just a fast RB with a strong arm.

Yeah right. The truth comes out. You want to be the judge jury and executioner. Its okay to you if he flips hamburgers or digs ditches but any kind of job that he would make money...maybe more money that you?(jeoulousy?)...than you have a problem with it. It must be great to be perfect. Are you telling me you've done no wrong? How about getting behind the wheel of a car when you know you've had to much? I bet you have if you're over the age of 21. And you were lucky that you didnt get caught but lets say you did and served time...and then i come along and say I hope you never work again. You selfishly decided to drive while endangering the lives of others. I hope you stand on a street corner looking for handouts with a cardboard sign for the rest of your days and not a knickel to your name. How would that suit ya? So you take your holier than thou attitude and look in the mirror and judge yourself. I bet youve done things that you just havent gotten caught for. maybe stole a piece of candy at an early age from a friend. Created an act of vandalism with your highschool buddies. The list goes on and on. So give it a rest. You aint perfect either, pal. And your lucky if you do something stupid that guys like me are fighting for ya to get a 2nd chance in life after you paid your dues.

HometownGal
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
DIE THREAD DIE!!!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Michael Vick is a prick who doesn't deserve to wear the black 'n gold.

No he isn't. He's paid his dues and deserves a second chance.

No he doesn't.

Yes he does.

But, but, but . . . . (insert whatever here)

Hasn't this topic been beaten to death already?? :banging: :banging: :banging:

43Hitman
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
DIE THREAD DIE!!!!!!

No he doesn't.

Yes he does.

Yep.. It won't die though until the douche gets signed somewhere. Then we'll have threads about trying to trade for said douche.:coffee:

Preacher
08-13-2009, 04:41 PM
DIE THREAD DIE!!!!!!

No he doesn't.

Yes he does.

You forgot the most important part...

"But anyone who hunts...

No its not,

yes it is.

but but but"

:chuckle:

fansince'76
08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Yep.. It won't die though until the douche gets signed somewhere. Then we'll have threads about trying to trade for said douche.:coffee:

Funny....because it's true! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Preacher
08-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Funny....because it's true! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

:chuckle: sure is. And it'll be Willie Parker that we should trade.. and that Arians is mucking up the whole thing!

HometownGal
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
It was just announced during the game that Vick was signed to a 2 year deal with Filthadelphia today. Thank God I can finally close this thread. :applaudit: