PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick...BOO!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 12:14 PM
A lot of analysts are predicting that Vick may end signing with the Steelers. I hope the Steelers DON'T sign him. If they do sign him I would be a very disappointed Steeler fan. It goes against everything the team stands for. The guy shouldn't even be in the league. F@#$ Michael Vick and the team that signs him. He is a P.O.S.

Justin Otstott
07-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Thats a little over the top don't you think? Everybody deserves a second chance. Besides I don't see Vick coming to the Steelers anyways.

Hotrodder07
07-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I can't imagine him coming to the Steelers. It just doesn't fit in with what the Steelers believe. I don't even consider it a real possibility at this point. It's not happening...

...at least I hope not...

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I certainly hope not. I was watching NFL Live last night and they said the two best teams that fit Vick are the Steelers and the Patriots.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Steelers won't sign him.

Where the hell would he play?

He can't throw the ball for shit, so backup QB is out.

We have Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, and Frank the Tank at RB.

And nobody knows if he can even catch the ball well enough to be a #3 WR.

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Thats a little over the top don't you think? Everybody deserves a second chance. Besides I don't see Vick coming to the Steelers anyways.

Over the top? The guy is a convicted felon that served two years in jail. IMO, the NFL is the best run league in pro sports that other leagues try to duplicate. Allowing convicted felons to return to the league isn't the reason for this.

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Why would the Steelers want to sign him? I don't have any idea how we'd use him. Are we really going to go out on a limb and sign a guy JUST for trick plays, which we hardly even run anymore? I doubt it.

Plus, aren't we like $50 under the salary cap? Vick might not command $10 million a year anymore, but he's not going to play for free either.

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Steelers won't sign him.

Where the hell would he play?

He can't throw the ball for shit, so backup QB is out.

We have Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, and Frank the Tank at RB.

And nobody knows if he can even catch the ball well enough to be a #3 WR.

I agree, and I hope you are right. However, historically the Steelers like to run gadget plays every now and then. The Dolphins made the wildcat offense a fad last season that several other teams tried to duplicate. Michael Vick would be a good guy for this offense. I am not a fan of the wildcat or Michael Vick, but I bet you see him in this offense a couple plays a game where ever he goes.

Hapa
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I would be happy to have him... defense would have no idea what the hell he's gonna do.

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Like I said, I am not a Vick fan and definitely don't want him on our team, I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about this. Hell, ESPN has him signing with the Steelers or Pats already.

steelballs
07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Needless to say, the network talking heads again fail at the task at hand.
Vick coming to the Steelers makes as much sense as TO coming to the burg'.

We all know that Vick doesn't fit the standard mold of a Steeler player, but that aside, he doesn't fit into any role on our roster.
I don't dispute his athleticism, we all know the kid can fly, but can he catch, can he return kicks, can he tackle????
I don't see Vick being a signal caller upon his return, I see him catching on with a team in some capacity, but not as a QB and certainly not with the Steelers.

StainlessStill
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I was watching NFL LIVE last night, and Christ Mortenson predicted that The Steelers should take a chance on him, since we DO need a reliable back up to Big Ben, while Vick can sit and observe in a backup role.

As soon as I heard this, I about spit all of my crackerjacks out of my mouth and onto the floor. I was disgusted, only because THE WHOLE LEAGUE, including reporters should know by now how the Steelers operate, and there is NO WAY we go near this guy with a 10 foot pole.

However, I did take it as a compliment, because obviously the league wants him to go to an organization that has it all together, and is top notch all around, hence the Steelers observation. Take it as a compliment, if anything because of that reason only.

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree, and I hope you are right. However, historically the Steelers like to run gadget plays every now and then.

Since Cowher and Whisenhunt left, we don't really run many trick plays. And when we do, we don't seem to run them very well.

MACH1
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I hope the Steelers aren't dumb enough to sign a guy that can only play in two pre-season games and then who knows.

At least sign someone we could use immediately.

Vick can immediately take part in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19) at the latest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4359354

Kvnfaber
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
If the Steelers REALLY wanted to employ the trick play, they would utilize Dennis Dixon.

Why pick up Vick when you have a playmaker like Dixon waiting in the wings?

HometownGal
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
1. Michael Vick is NOT coming to the Steelers - bank it.

2. How many more times are we going to discuss this redundant topic? :banging:

3. I agree with you. Michael Vick is a POS who should never have been permitted to come back to the NFL, but what's done is done. Let him be someone else's problem.

fansince'76
07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I certainly hope not. I was watching NFL Live last night and they said the two best teams that fit Vick are the Steelers and the Patriots.

Figures. Word of advice: take anything you hear on Disney Channel II (AKA ESPN) with a HUGE grain of salt. :coffee:

CanadianSteel
07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Tell hell with Vick & trick plays !
How about we learn to run an effectice screen again..... which we used to be very good at.....

The Lakelander
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
No way!

Fat chance!

Let him go to New England and prove once and for all that Brady is a system QB ... Vick would beat out Brady hands down for that team's starting QB spot!

I could see Vick landing in Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Washington, San Francisco, St. Louis, or Minnesota ... for no obvious reasons.

For obvious reasons Vick would wear the stripes of Cincy quite well!

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2009, 01:14 PM
You can bet the house that the new generation of Rooneys are NOT going to buck tradition, their first year in control of the team, by signing problem children. They are going to do their best to show a fanbase that loves the Steelers traditions that things are going to stay the course.

The_WARDen
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Over the top? The guy is a convicted felon that served two years in jail. IMO, the NFL is the best run league in pro sports that other leagues try to duplicate. Allowing convicted felons to return to the league isn't the reason for this.

but they already do...see Jamal Lewis.

vasteeler
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
No way!

Fat chance!

Let him go to New England and prove once and for all that Brady is a system QB ... Vick would beat out Brady hands down for that team's starting QB spot!

I could see Vick landing in Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Washington, San Francisco, St. Louis, or Minnesota ... for no obvious reasons.

For obvious reasons Vick would wear the stripes of Cincy quite well!

tell me your joking:doh:

The Lakelander
07-28-2009, 02:07 PM
tell me your joking:doh:

Of course I'm joking .... Belicheat's member is rammed so far up Brady's bum that it would take a surgical procedure to seperate those two. :chuckle:

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
That's a blanket statement. Does he deserve a second chance at freedom and life outside bars? Sure. Does he deserve to be reinstated and get to make millions again? NO.

Players are thugs because they can be. Get a slap on the wrist, write an apology letter and BAM right back in the league doing everything you were. The NFL is a joke under roger.

In all fairness, I don't think two years in prison counts as a "slap on the wrist." Although I get your point, I don't think Vick is a good example of it.

If it makes you feel any better, you can take solace in the fact that the great majority of anything Vick earns for the next couple of years (at least) is going straight to his creditors and he won't see a dime of it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
but they already do...see Jamal Lewis.

Add to that list Leonard Little, Adam Jones(formerly) and if you want to throw guys in that have had legal issues the list can include Ray Lewis, Chris Henry, Tank Johnson James Harrison, Smoketonio Holmes, Donte Stallworth and most of the Cincinatti Bengals.

I am not a dog owner, so that is why I probably dont understand the outrage (mostly by dog owners), but to me the DUI exploits of Leonard Little taking a life and the rapist Christian Peter were far more horrific than Vick's dog fighting crimes.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
No way!

Fat chance!

I know it is cool to hate Brady around here, but this might be the most ridiculous prediction or assertion that I have read on this board. Brady is a great QB...like it or not he is a HOF QB already.

Vick is an average QB who is a great runner with the ball. That's it.

simonsfs30
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
ANYONE WHO THINKS THERES A CHANCE THAT VICK PLAYS FOR PITTSBURGH ....DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STEELERS FO
SO ESPN HAS 50% CREDIBILITY PATS TAKE EVERYTHING THEY CAN IN FA WE TAKE ALMOST NOTHING IN FA

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
If the Steelers REALLY wanted to employ the trick play, they would utilize Dennis Dixon.

Why pick up Vick when you have a playmaker like Dixon waiting in the wings?

Dennis Dixon was a great college player that injured his knee and hasn't done anything since. I dont think that opposing defenses would be to worried if Dixon lined up in the back field. Sure he has the athleticism, but doesnt everybody in the NFL.

TackleMeBen
07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
when i heard that vick should go to the steelers, i yelled at the tv. are you out of your freaking mind????

their reason behind vick coming to the steelers is 1) leadership in the locker room(if vick gets out of hand, just let woodley and harrison take him out back) 2) its a very stable organization. 3) vick might could learn something sitting on the bench behind ben

BlastFurnace
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
The only thing holding up the Pats signing him to a backup role is that Goodell is trying to negotiate with the owners whether the Patriots receive an additional 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th Round pick for being a Good Samaritan.

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I meant slap on the wrist by the league. :hatsoff:

Well ... he already kind of had a two-season suspension by default. Another six games seems kind of pointless.

Let's face it, this is the kind of thing where if he'd been guilty of it but done something like 30 days in jail, he wouldn't have been suspended more than a single season, if that. Half a season or less is more likely. I'll be much more upset if they let Donte Stallworth back in this year.

FWIW I don't think he will have much of a career even if he does get picked up by a team.

Me neither. He wasn't a complete QB before all this, and he'll most likely wind up as a backup or a stopgap starter for a shitty team that's desperate. Odds definitely do not favor him returning to stardom.

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Dennis Dixon was a great college player that injured his knee and hasn't done anything since. I dont think that opposing defenses would be to worried if Dixon lined up in the back field. Sure he has the athleticism, but doesnt everybody in the NFL.

Yes, but not that many RBs/WRs are legitimate threats to throw the ball also. At least not like him. That's the main element of trickery he brings.

SteelCurtain
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Completely agree with that statement. I believe I have a better chance at seeing God twice than seeing Vick come to the Steelers. I would absolutely hate it and would lose a ton of respect for the Steelers organization. He was totally overrated as a qb and I knew he would get into trouble. Just look at his brother. Honestly, I think he will go to the Vikings...

The Lakelander
07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I know it is cool to hate Brady around here, but this might be the most ridiculous prediction or assertion that I have read on this board. Brady is a great QB...like it or not he is a HOF QB already.

Vick is an average QB who is a great runner with the ball. That's it.

I've got stats that prove otherwise BlastFurnace ... stats, coupled with the FACT that Brady was playing for and thereby benefited from a cheating team.

He's the most over-rated QB in NFL history!

Besides ... I hate that sad sap! :toofunny:

steelreserve
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
The only thing holding up the Pats signing him to a backup role is that Goodell is trying to negotiate with the owners whether the Patriots receive an additional 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th Round pick for being a Good Samaritan.

Are you kidding me? I'm going with two firsts, one of them first overall, with a special rookie salary cap just for that pick.

scsteeler
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
A lot of analysts are predicting that Vick may end signing with the Steelers. I hope the Steelers DON'T sign him. If they do sign him I would be a very disappointed Steeler fan. It goes against everything the team stands for. The guy shouldn't even be in the league. F@#$ Michael Vick and the team that signs him. He is a P.O.S.

So much hate. I thought everyone had to right to start their life over after making some bad decisions. That is the whole point in serving time and what is the incentive to do better when people like you that are perfect and never did anything wrong feel this way. I know God will judge you with the same measuring stick you use for others.

Stlrs4Life
07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Vick will not sign with the Steelers. He still would want too much $$$. And we really do not need him.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM
I've got stats that prove otherwise BlastFurnace ... stats, coupled with the FACT that Brady was playing for and thereby benefited from a cheating team.

He's the most over-rated QB in NFL history!

Besides ... I hate that sad sap! :toofunny:

Let's see the stats then.

I'm very curious how you have stats that show he is an overrated QB...stats that no-one else has probably come up with I guess.

Brady is not overrated. Does the press kiss his feet too much...Yes. But that doesn't correlate what he can do to any secondary in the league. You don't do what he has done and be considered overrated. You don't throw 50 TD's in a season by luck.

I know he is part of the despised Patriots, but I have no problem giving the man his due.

mesaSteeler
07-28-2009, 07:31 PM
ESPN analyst believes Steelers are perfect fit for Vick
July 28, 3:34 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m7d28-ESPN-analyst-believes-Steelers-are-perfect-fit-for-Vick

Imagine yourself walking with your Terrible Towel in hand, heading up to the large, steel-gated entrance at Heinz Field for the season opener against Tennessee. You’re in line waiting to get into the stadium when you see a crowd of people near Gate A. When you take a closer look, you see signs that say things like “dog killer” and “the Steelers support people who torture dogs”.

That’s not going to happen to this team. No way. No how.

ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen said on Sportscenter Monday that the Pittsburgh Steelers would be a perfect fit for Michael Vick, who was recently released from jail after serving nearly two years for charges related to dog fighting.

I agree Mortensen. Yes that’s right, 100 percent.

It is a good fit for Vick. A good fit for the Steelers? Not so much.

Some media members actually believe they should give him a shot. Ridiculous.

Before going into the reasons why it would be absurd to sign the recently partially reinstated QB, let’s talk about why it just wouldn’t happen.

The Rooney’s would never do it. Even if it would make sense to do it, they wouldn’t. They have a history of shying away from the media spotlight and not signing big name free agents or anyone that has a ton of emotional baggage. The Rooney’s won’t even consider it.

Mortensen was right when he said that the Steelers are a perfect fit for Vick. It’s a stable, low-key organization that does virtually everything the right way. Vick could keep a level-head better here than going to say Dallas, Washington, or Oakland.

But why in the world would the Steelers want him?

The last thing the team needs as a returning super bowl champion is a distraction. They got that last week when sexual assault charges were filed against Ben Roethlisberger. Take that media circus and multiply it by two or three if the Steelers sign Michael Vick.

How about sponsorships?

Not only would it be possible for pet-related company’s to pull their sponsorships, it’s also possible that businesses that have no ties at all to pets to spend their money elsewhere. Losing a sponsor or sponsors is something no sports team wants to do.

It’s the same story about Vick on the playing field.

The Steelers have 20 of 22 starters back and are a favorite to repeat as super bowl champions. They don’t need Vick to help them do that. Sure he’s a great athlete, but he’s only played one position his entire NFL career and wasn’t even that good at it. With a clutch quarterback like Roethlisberger as the starter, the coaches don’t need to worry about trying to mess around with the ‘Wild Cat Offense’ or getting him playing time at receiver and kick-returner at the expense of other players.

Vick just isn’t worth the effort.

stillers4me
07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
The question is, does Mike Vick deserve to walk out of prison and play for a superbowl caliber team?

I think not.

fansince'76
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen said on Sportscenter Monday that the Pittsburgh Steelers would be a perfect fit for Michael Vick, who was recently released from jail after serving nearly two years for charges related to dog fighting.

....which is why Mortensen isn't a NFL GM.

4xSBChamps
07-28-2009, 07:58 PM
You can bet the house that the new generation of Rooneys are NOT going to buck tradition, their first year in control of the team, by signing problem children. They are going to do their best to show a fanbase that loves the Steelers traditions that things are going to stay the course.

+ tax.....

..... 'em Stillers don't bring-in problems..... once they are identified, they are shown the door

jjbrasso
07-28-2009, 08:36 PM
So much hate. I thought everyone had to right to start their life over after making some bad decisions. That is the whole point in serving time and what is the incentive to do better when people like you that are perfect and never did anything wrong feel this way. I know God will judge you with the same measuring stick you use for others.

Are you serious? The man is a convicted felon that killed dogs for his own entertainment. He also flipped off the crowd at his home stadium. Lets not forget about the marijuana arrest too. Like I said...F@#$ Michael Vick, he is a P.O.S.

JackHammer
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't see us signing Vick because of the logical reasons like the cap situation, the roster situation, and the media/protester presence that will follow him wherever he goes, but I'm not sold on the idea that he doesn't deserve a second chance. People who don't get second chances after prison usually end up back in prison.

Plus, aren't we a Christian society, or are we just a Christian society when it's convenient for our own selfish needs/reasons? If we are a Christian society, shouldn't we practice what we preach??? I mean, if Jesus could forgive the people who TORTURED AND MURDERED him, can we not forgive criminals(who have paid their debt to society) today at least enough to give them a chance to prove that they've changed their ways? Jesus didn't even believe that those Romans would change their ways, but he still forgave them.

The fact of the matter is that we're not really a Christian society. We're just as vengeful as the people who killed Jesus. I didn't want to turn this into a religious argument because I'm not a religious zealot. I just find it ironic that people will start threads asking for people to pray for them or their family because THEY need help in some way, but when it comes down to living out the tough parts of being a Christian, which is being a forgiving person, nobody wants to step up to the plate.

stillers4me
07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
If Michael Vick was just an average football, nobody would give a rats ass if he ever played football again.

Justin Otstott
07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Are you serious? The man is a convicted felon that killed dogs for his own entertainment. He also flipped off the crowd at his home stadium. Lets not forget about the marijuana arrest too. Like I said...F@#$ Michael Vick, he is a P.O.S.

Dude seriously how many burgers or food period have you put in your mouth? I am so sick of this Micheal Vick shit! He did his time and he will NOT play for our Steelers. But get a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering life and get off the dog shit...now I remember why I don't come to this forum anymore...

HometownGal
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Dude seriously how many burgers or food period have you put in your mouth? I am so sick of this Micheal Vick shit! He did his time and he will NOT play for our Steelers. But get a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering life and get off the dog shit...now I remember why I don't come to this forum anymore...

Knock it off Justin. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here whether or not you agree with it. If you disagree with his thoughts, please do so respectfully.

mesaSteeler
07-28-2009, 10:13 PM
The Steelers won't sign Vick not only due to the character issues but also because we don't need him. We can't go into the season any closer to the cap than we already are. We need to keep some cap reserve to handle any injuries like we did last year when we had to sign Leftwich.

jjpro11
07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Dennis Dixon has more upside him at this point in both of their careers. seriously, wtf? i don't want him here at all. i don't care if he "did his time"... i can't root for a guy like that, sorry.

ricksteelers55
07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
one word....CFL

he will end up playing for the Toronto Argos

even here in Montreal we dont want him with the Al's we'd rather keep Anthony ''Choker in the big one'' Cavillo

Stillers33
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
i wonder how he would fit in our systemb wr? qb?

GodofGridiron
07-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Michael Vick IS a good fit for this offense. I say that because Michael Vick is NOT a pocket passer. The Steelers offensive line doesnt hold its blocks long enough to form a pocket. Notice how Ben makes his biggest plays on the run, OUTSIDE that immediately collapsed pocket. The worst thing youd want as a defensive coordinator is to have Vick/Ben using their mobility to make plays. Ben with his arm, Vick with his legs and the THREAT to use his arm.

Vick needs a collective group of strongly-banded teammates who can make a great impact and be a positive influence on Vick. Its more about caring for Vick the person than Vick the football player.

The world is all about second chances and if dude says he's made the change and is remorseful for his past actions, then why not give the guy a second chance. He has a right to make a living and hes got talent to enterain an audience. Hell, after Neon left ATL Vick alone helped to re-establish Atlanta on the football map.

Vick did his part for the NFL in Atlanta. Why shouldnt the league show appreciation and give him a chance to redeem himself. When hes in the open field, hes one of the most electrifying players you will ever see.

Bottom line is Vick needs good influence. Tomlin can set this man on the straight and narrow even if he doesnt see a single series on a football field. Tomlin knows its about the human Vick number one, then the player and everything else that comes with that afterwards. Signing Vick aint about helpin the Steelers moreso than it is about helping Vick.

Stang909
07-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Honestly I don't want Vick on the Steelers only because I don't see how he could benefit our team. I do however believe he deserves a second chance and hope he lands on a team that is a good fit for him and can help him get his life turned around.

Steelers & I
07-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Michael Vick IS a good fit for this offense. I say that because Michael Vick is NOT a pocket passer. The Steelers offensive line doesnt hold its blocks long enough to form a pocket. Notice how Ben makes his biggest plays on the run, OUTSIDE that immediately collapsed pocket. The worst thing youd want as a defensive coordinator is to have Vick/Ben using their mobility to make plays. Ben with his arm, Vick with his legs and the THREAT to use his arm.

The difference being that Vick isn't very good at reading coverages and his accuracy BLOWS!

Vick needs a collective group of strongly-banded teammates who can make a great impact and be a positive influence on Vick. Its more about caring for Vick the person than Vick the football player.

Michael Vick can get his handouts somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

The world is all about second chances and if dude says he's made the change and is remorseful for his past actions, then why not give the guy a second chance. He has a right to make a living and hes got talent to enterain an audience. Hell, after Neon left ATL Vick alone helped to re-establish Atlanta on the football map.

Convicts are released from prison everyday and they do deserve a second chance. With that being said, I don't believe that the typical law abiding United States citizen is willing to wait at the prison gates with open arms. Have at it convict, good luck with your second chance in life but please understand that it won't be happening in or around my household.

Vick did his part for the NFL in Atlanta. Why shouldnt the league show appreciation and give him a chance to redeem himself. When hes in the open field, hes one of the most electrifying players you will ever see.

As I understand it, it's a privilege to play in the NFL not a right. The NFL owes Michael Vick NOTHING!

Bottom line is Vick needs good influence. Tomlin can set this man on the straight and narrow even if he doesnt see a single series on a football field. Tomlin knows its about the human Vick number one, then the player and everything else that comes with that afterwards. Signing Vick aint about helpin the Steelers moreso than it is about helping Vick.

Sure, I hope that the Steelers do waste some of their cap space to ensure that Michael Vick, the human being, is assisted in staying on the straight and narrow.

As I've already said, get your handouts somewhere else Michael Vick, we're not interested.

Preacher
07-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Quote:
....which is why Mortensen isn't a NFL GM.....which is why Mortensen isn't a NFL GM.

He's right, the Steelers would be a good place for him. Hard charging team, very strict, if you make it thorugh a season with us, then other teams will take a chance on you.

Problem is, While the Steelers are a good place for Vick, Vick isn't good for the Steelers. We simply don't have a position for him.

Justano
07-29-2009, 01:55 AM
I would love having michael vick Man... hes a great athlete and he did his time and definently deserves a chance to be on a good team...

fansince'76
07-29-2009, 01:56 AM
He's right, the Steelers would be a good place for him. Hard charging team, very strict, if you make it thorugh a season with us, then other teams will take a chance on you.

Problem is, While the Steelers are a good place for Vick, Vick isn't good for the Steelers. We simply don't have a position for him.

Anybody who knows anything about the Steelers knows we wouldn't take a chance on a player with his kind of baggage even if he did fill a need. Mortensen is an idiot (which is par for the course for that so-called network) and it was an idiotic comment.

fansince'76
07-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Vick did his part for the NFL in Atlanta. Why shouldnt the league show appreciation and give him a chance to redeem himself.

Uh, because he caused the league embarrassment and gave it a black eye with his actions, maybe? The league doesn't really "owe" him anything, and the Steelers owe him even less than that. As S&I said, let some other team play good samaritan and give him a chance and put up with all the shitty PR that's pretty much guaranteed to come with it. This team already has enough on their plates with a championship to defend and the civil action that's just been filed against Ben. They don't need more BS to deal with.

Justin Otstott
07-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Knock it off Justin. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here whether or not you agree with it. If you disagree with his thoughts, please do so respectfully.
Your right, I am sorry for all that. I can care less where Vick goes, I just know he won't be signed with Pittsburgh. We already got issues about the whole Ben assault thing. And to be honest it kills me. I seen the whole Vick thread and got out of line. My apologies!

:drink:

Galax Steeler
07-29-2009, 04:57 AM
I would have to say no to Vick. Yea he would probably do well for us but I would have to say no.

Sharkissle29
07-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Although my opinion is rather neutral on whether or not i want Vick, it really will be a win-win situation. If VIck comes and really does change his life, and the Steelers make him a good person, we win. If Vick comes in and makes mistakes, we will release him faster than a teenager having sex for the first time, we still win.

Our reputation of being a top-knotch organization doesnt hurt for any of the situations above.

That being said, I still dont believe he will be a Steeler.

rthorsn
07-29-2009, 10:25 AM
You know what the Steelers always seem to do right??Put the best players on the field and WIN!! IF (and that's a HUGE IF) the Steelers decide to sign Vick they must see something and I support it.

What Vick did was sick,disturbing,and not to mention WRONG..BUT I have always been a supporter of once a person pays there debt to society they have a right to make a living..

What disturbs me the most is that people picket and send mass amounts of hate mail/death threats to a person who took the life of dogs but I rarely see the same outrage for people who kill HUMAN BEINGS!!

That's my 2 cents

Kvnfaber
07-29-2009, 10:44 AM

He hasn't done anything because he hasn't had a chance, and that's my main point- They have Dixon to try trick QB plays with and they haven't used him. He's coming off his rookie year and everyone says he looks good. Take for instance LAST pre-season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhbNFu9OR4

And then account for the fact that he has had a year since then to learn the offense and instill more confidence in his knee. I just think there is no reason to take a gamble with Vick at 29 with no knowledge of the offense, and with all the baggage when you've got a young guy like Dixon who can provide much of the same as far as ability.

fansince'76
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
It seems like most people are operating under the assumption that Vick is going to be the exact same explosive player he was before he spent two years of his life basically rotting in a federal pen. I have serious doubts about that. On top of that, any team that does take him on is running the risk of really bad PR, the loss of corporate sponsorships, etc., etc. Not worth the gamble, in my book.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
He hasn't done anything because he hasn't had a chance, and that's my main point- They have Dixon to try trick QB plays with and they haven't used him. He's coming off his rookie year and everyone says he looks good. Take for instance LAST pre-season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhbNFu9OR4

And then account for the fact that he has had a year since then to learn the offense and instill more confidence in his knee. I just think there is no reason to take a gamble with Vick at 29 with no knowledge of the offense, and with all the baggage when you've got a young guy like Dixon who can provide much of the same as far as ability.

I'm not doubting his potential, I'm just saying he hasn't proven himself in the NFL. I can think of several good college quarterbacks that didn't make it in the NFL. I'm sure that he will eventually get a chance, but he won't be lining up against a fourth quarter preseason or PAC 10 defense.
I was born in Pittsburgh and lived there the first 29 years of my life. The last five years I have lived in South Florida (four miles from Dolphin Stadium). I hear about "potential" every day when the fans and media talk about the Dolphin players. A few years ago they were sure Marcus Vick was going to be better than his brother. Two years ago John Beck was the next Steve Young, and now Pat White is the best scrambling QB to come out of college since Michael Vick. However, I don't buy any of this until they prove themselves in the NFL.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Dixon have a great season.

Kvnfaber
07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
It seems like most people are operating under the assumption that Vick is going to be the exact same explosive player he was before he spent two years of his life basically rotting in a federal pen. I have serious doubts about that. On top of that, any team that does take him on is running the risk of really bad PR, the loss of corporate sponsorships, etc., etc. Not worth the gamble, in my book.

I agree, no one really knows how explosive he is going to be - The best parts of his game before his off the field issues, were his quickness and improvisation with his legs. Who knows if he still has it, let alone the ability to read defenses and make quick and GOOD decisions with the ball, which he never did well in the first place.

Kvnfaber
07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not doubting his potential, I'm just saying he hasn't proven himself in the NFL. I can think of several good college quarterbacks that didn't make it in the NFL. I'm sure that he will eventually get a chance, but he won't be lining up against a fourth quarter preseason or PAC 10 defense.
I was born in Pittsburgh and lived there the first 29 years of my life. The last five years I have lived in South Florida (four miles from Dolphin Stadium). I hear about "potential" every day when the fans and media talk about the Dolphin players. A few years ago they were sure Marcus Vick was going to be better than his brother. Two years ago John Beck was the next Steve Young, and now Pat White is the best scrambling QB to come out of college since Michael Vick. However, I don't buy any of this until they prove themselves in the NFL.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Dixon have a great season.

I agree with you on the potential thing-

But don't waste time on Vick when you've got a guy to instill the time into that does not have character issues. Vick has proven himself to be a playmaker with his legs, and nothing more than a mediocre passer. Who knows if he still can be.

The Lakelander
07-29-2009, 11:04 AM

I agree Vick is a huge PR gamble.

But what else was he likely doing in prison except working out??? He's liable to be in great shape, and he hasn't been out of the game any longer than a QB returning from a serious knee injury ... without the damage. Vick should quickly be able to get back on the fast track.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree with you on the potential thing-

But don't waste time on Vick when you've got a guy to instill the time into that does not have character issues. Vick has proven himself to be a playmaker with his legs, and nothing more than a mediocre passer. Who knows if he still can be.

I am TOTALLY AGAINST Vick coming to the Steelers. Aside from the Steelers not having the room in the salary cap, nor a position on the team for Vick, he does not fit the mold of a Steeler player.

revefsreleets
07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Mike Vick's career QB rating is 75.7. By way of comparison, Kordell Stewart was 70.7. Bubby Brister 72.3. Kyle Orton 71.7. Trent Dilfer 70.2.

THAT'S the kind of QB Mike Vick is. Forget it, he's not coming to the B&G.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 11:09 AM

But what else was he likely doing in prison except working out??? He's liable to be in great shape, and he hasn't been out of the game any longer than a QB returning from a serious knee injury ... without the damage. Vick should quickly be able to get back on the fast track.

Who cares if he was working out. I workout everyday and am in great shape, not NFL shape though. An NFL QB needs to do more than lift weights and run. How is his timing, accuracy, arm strength, can he read a defense? These are just a few examples of stuff he couldn't work on in prison.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Mike Vick's career QB rating is 75.7. By way of comparison, Kordell Stewart was 70.7. Bubby Brister 72.3. Kyle Orton 71.7. Trent Dilfer 70.2.

THAT'S the kind of QB Mike Vick is. Forget it, he's not coming to the B&G.

Vick was a run first QB who was a threat to throw the ball, just like Ben is a throw first QB that can run the ball. Both are/were great playmakers, but Ben is much more effecient, and more importantly, a winner!

BlastFurnace
07-29-2009, 11:56 AM

That is exactly the opposite of what Peyton Manning said that Vick would experience. Vick wasn't a very good QB to begin with. Perhaps he played against the In-mates in jail, that doesn't even compare to what he would face on Sunday's.

Still waiting for the stats that show that Vick is a better QB than Brady and that Brady is overrated.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Who said anything about Vick starting?

StainlessStill
07-29-2009, 12:21 PM
My head is spinning with this story about Vick coming to Pittsburgh, because I see no reason for it to happen! In no way, shape, or form do we need this THUG on our roster. Waste of money, waste of space, waste of a spot that we can use.

I'm not putting two and two together on why people and the media are applauding a Steelers interest in this guy. I wouldn't know where to begin on how to utilize Vick in our system. Someone also mentioned the emergence of Dennis Dixon if we would ever go to the bag of tricks.

Vick is over-rated, been 2 years out of a league where he was MEDIOCRE at BEST, and most important, a criminal, and a thug.

With the Steelers not reporting anything on the subject, maybe they are interested in the guy. Can't wait till they deny all reports.

fansince'76
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Speed is the first thing to go as a player gets older, and that's what Vick's game is largely predicated on. I doubt he got faster in prison, but I do know he got older.

revefsreleets
07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how sitting in prison will improve his already horrible accuracy. Or teach him for the first time ever how to go through his progressions. Or school him in the art which has always eluded him of reading a defense. His whole game was his legs...and like '76 said, I doubt he got faster.

4xSBChamps
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Although my opinion is rather neutral on whether or not i want Vick, it really will be a win-win situation. If VIck comes and really does change his life, and the Steelers make him a good person, we win. If Vick comes in and makes mistakes, we will release him faster than a teenager having sex for the first time, we still win.

Our reputation of being a top-knotch organization doesnt hurt for any of the situations above.

That being said, I still dont believe he will be a Steeler.

>>>Our reputation of being a top-knotch organization doesnt hurt for any of the situations above.<<<

..... unless he poisons the atmosphere of an already cohesive locker-room.....
:doh:

why pee in the punch-bowl?
:noidea:

BlastFurnace
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Letting Vick and his influence around our younger players...who play as a team... is about as smart as having Vick personally rehabilitate Harrison's Pit Bull.

That Atlanta team had a real problem with division within the locker room. Vick and Deangello Hall were the main culprits.

No thanks.

jjpro11
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
does anyone else think this is a media ploy to divert the attention away from Ben? the Steelers could deny this rumor at any moment, but are not.. and i don't believe for a second they would actually bring him in, being our cap space and lack of need for a player like that.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 01:34 PM
does anyone else think this is a media ploy to divert the attention away from Ben? the Steelers could deny this rumor at any moment, but are not.. and i don't believe for a second they would actually bring him in, being our cap space and lack of need for a player like that.

I am a huge sports fan with the Steelers being my number one passion in sports. I watch a lot of sports television (live games and sports news). As far as the Ben thing goes, it had minimal coverage nationally. Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Tim Tebow's virginity, Justin Buhrle, and Tom Watson all had way more national media coverage than Ben. The reason is because Ben's story is so far from true and the media knows it so doesn't really talk about it. I can't speak on Pittsburgh's local media, because I no longer live there. So saying that Michael Vick might go to the Steelers to divert attention away from Ben seems kind of far fetched IMO.

LVSteelersfan
07-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree that Michael Vick can't have gotten faster while sitting in prison. He was mediocre at best as a QB. We have a bunch of new "fast" guys we brought in. If you or I were in his situation we would still be rotting in jail. He got a slap on the wrist and shouldn't be walking around free yet. Anyone willing to take a chance on a media nightmare who is 29 years old and never took the Falcons anywhere is just plain stupid. The Steelers FO is NOT stupid.

Indo
07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Your argument holds no water. It is one thing to make a mistake due to circumstances. He didn't steal a loaf of bread to eat or feed his children.

I really don't think asking for someone prayers to help a loved one through tough times holds a candle to drowning, lynching, raping, and electrocuting dogs for self amusement and to be the cool dog fighter guy. I don't even see why you're bringing religion in to this. Because my younger sister was on life support and I asked for family and friends to pray for her I should give Vick, someone who blew an oppertunity a free pass to do as he pleases? Apples and oranges my friend.

He didn't do it because he needed the money, which means it was purely sadistic. This guy is a piece of shit, had his chance in the league and blew it. Playing in the NFL is NOT a right, it's a privledge. I'm not going to stone the guy if I see him, but I would like to see the NFL have some BALLS and stand by some kind of policy.

What's stopping these thugs from doing what they want when they want if they know that they can show up on the feild and everything is hunky dory? NOTHING. As long as they act sorry, they can shoot or knife anyone or anything they want.

The bottom line is these guys KNOW what they are doing can cost them their careers. Vick knew that what he was doing would get him kicked out of the league. He chose to do it anyways. Every step of the way was HIS decission, so why should we pity poor M. Vick? Save your bleeding heart for someone who deserves it.

Amen.

As an owner of the magnificent breed that is the American Pit Bull Terrier ( one which is a Champion Show Dog), I can't even begin to express how angry I get at those that say, "It was just some dogs...". First, they need to educate themselves regarding the bad publicity that these dogs receive. And It's people like Vick who perpetuate the problem.

Check this out:

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Be sure to read the part about the Vick dogs

OK. I have to stop before my head explodes due to my anger about this

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Amen.

As an owner of the magnificent breed that is the American Pit Bull Terrier ( one which is a Champion Show Dog), I can't even begin to express how angry I get at those that say, "It was just some dogs...". First, they need to educate themselves regarding the bad publicity that these dogs receive. And It's people like Vick who perpetuate the problem.

Check this out:

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Be sure to read the part about the Vick dogs

OK. I have to stop before my head explodes due to my anger about this

Exactly! We are on the same field here my friend.

HometownGal
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Vick should quickly be able to get back on the fast track.

That's fine and dandy - let him get back on some other team's fast track.

I was never that impressed with him as a QB before he decided to torture and murder innocent animals. He's a RB that thinks he's a QB. Thanks but no thanks.

jjpro11
07-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I am a huge sports fan with the Steelers being my number one passion in sports. I watch a lot of sports television (live games and sports news). As far as the Ben thing goes, it had minimal coverage nationally. Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Tim Tebow's virginity, Justin Buhrle, and Tom Watson all had way more national media coverage than Ben. The reason is because Ben's story is so far from true and the media knows it so doesn't really talk about it. I can't speak on Pittsburgh's local media, because I no longer live there. So saying that Michael Vick might go to the Steelers to divert attention away from Ben seems kind of far fetched IMO.

i am just saying, the Vick situation kind of fell into the Steelers lap. they didn't necessarily search for a way to overshadow Ben's situation. they can now just ride out the rumors without responding to anything and not sign Vick in the end. if it gets the Browns or some other team to jump the gun and take Vick, so be it. they are best to just use the situation as a smokescreen and not do anything. remember all those Randy Moss rumors a couple years ago? a whole bunch of nothing.

and don't forget the Steelers are arguably the most followed team in the NFL.. it seems like every time there is a player rumored to move somewhere, the Steelers are one of those teams. the media knows Steelers = ratings, so they do not hesitate to throw the Steelers name in the pile without having any proof, just to drum up ratings. PFT loves to talk about the Steelers any chance they get because those articles always get the most comments and views. other media outlets are no different.

Sharkissle29
07-29-2009, 02:58 PM
..... unless he poisons the atmosphere of an already cohesive locker-room.....
:doh:

why pee in the punch-bowl?
:noidea:

locker rooms that get poisoned lack leadership (something we have endless amounts of), period.

fansince'76
07-29-2009, 03:21 PM
locker rooms that get poisoned lack leadership (something we have endless amounts of), period.

Yes, and the reason we have endless amounts of it is partly due to the fact that we don't have guys like Vick on the team. Have no problem with him getting a second chance, as long as it's somewhere else.

GodofGridiron
07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Speed is the first thing to go as a player gets older, and that's what Vick's game is largely predicated on. I doubt he got faster in prison, but I do know he got older.

Vick just turned 29...........get off the "he's older" mantra. Im willing to bet Vick could still outrun 98 percent of the DB's and Wideouts in this league.

Older, true........but doesnt mean hes gotten slower. Darrell Green had his blazing jets still past 35....Prime did as well.

HometownGal
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Vick just turned 29...........get off the "he's older" mantra. Im willing to bet Vick could still outrun 98 percent of the DB's and Wideouts in this league.

Older, true........but doesnt mean hes gotten slower. Darrell Green had his blazing jets still past 35....Prime did as well.

Who gives a rat's ass if he can outrun anybody? He's a freakin' QB and not a very good one at that.

Let him run his dog bludgeoning little tush off somewhere else.

stlrtruck
07-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Who gives a rat's ass if he can outrun anybody? He's a freakin' QB and not a very good one at that.

Let him run his dog bludgeoning little tush off somewhere else.

He'd have plenty of opportunities in Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Miami.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Baltimore is expressing interest in him now too.

HometownGal
07-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Baltimore is expressing interest in him now too.

They'd fit together like hand and glove.

I think the Rats should concentrate more on getting someone for Flacco to throw to instead of picking the garbage up off the sidewalk.

Indo
07-29-2009, 05:42 PM
The Baltimore Thugsters?

Fullback&Punter
07-29-2009, 07:12 PM
That's a blanket statement. Does he deserve a second chance at freedom and life outside bars? Sure. Does he deserve to be reinstated and get to make millions again? NO.

Players are thugs because they can be. Get a slap on the wrist, write an apology letter and BAM right back in the league doing everything you were. The NFL is a joke under roger.

I wouldn't call 18 months in jail a slap on the wrist. Vick was made an example of because he was famous. That's as wrong as the other extreme, when they do get off the hook. He paid his time. I'm not saying he's a good fit here but the man should get a shot if a team wants him.

also, i can see it happening, Tomlin loves Dungy. Dungy loves Vick. Tomlin may step up for Vick because of Dungy

MACH1
07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
It's been a full day and we haven't signed him yet?:chuckle:

SteelersTilIDie
07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
i don't understand why everyone is so down on him. It's not like he killed people...donte stallworth killed a man and got 1 month in jail and vick killed some dogs and got 2.5 years! On the field, he would be a fantastic addition. He's a top 5 athlete in the entire league, and he would add a dimension to the steelers offense that they haven't seen in years...and he would likely sign for the vet minimum and not take up any cap space whatsoever. It's not like he would be a QB, he would do everything for a very little price. It's a win-win, and don't worry, if they do sign him james harrison will put him in his place

Fullback&Punter
07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree he paid his time to society. I would say that my beef is less with Vick and more with roger not having the scrotum to tell a player NO and mean it. There is no consequence in this league. That's why we have thugs in the league that continue to do what they do without regard. What does a player have to do to get termed from the NFL?

I don't agree that Vick should be banned for life. I think a few games suspended sounds about right. Teams are free to decide if they want him. If 1 does, let him play. Suspension for life would be way to harsh. In my opinion.

HometownGal
07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't call 18 months in jail a slap on the wrist. Vick was made an example of because he was famous. That's as wrong as the other extreme, when they do get off the hook. He paid his time. .

Not to be disrespectful to you, but Vick wasn't made an example of and I'm sick to death of hearing that. He committed heinous crimes and paid the price.

I'm not saying he's a good fit here but the man should get a shot if a team wants him

Fine and dandy as long that team isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers.

also, i can see it happening, Tomlin loves Dungy. Dungy loves Vick. Tomlin may step up for Vick because of Dungy

Not in a million years. Tomlin doesn't have the final say - Art Rooney, II does and it aint happening.

Fullback&Punter
07-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Not to be disrespectful to you, but Vick wasn't made an example of and I'm sick to death of hearing that. He committed heinous crimes and paid the price.

Fine and dandy as long that team isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Not in a million years. Tomlin doesn't have the final say - Art Rooney, II does and it aint happening.

Vick did commit crimes and he did pay the price. That I agree with. But he has been dealt with harshly.

From Sports Illustrated:

Judge Henry E. Hudson sentenced Michael Vick to 23 months in prison -- exceeding the 12-18 months that prosecutors recommended.

Also:

Vick's co-defendants, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips, who last month received sentences of 18 months and 21 months, respectively.

From the Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law:

In July 2007, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted by a federal grand jury for conspiracy charges stemming from his role in a dog fighting venture. Vick’s indictment included allegations that he executed approximately eight ill-performing dogs using a variety of methods. In connection with their operation of Bad Newz Kennels, Vick and three co-defendants were indicted on charges of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. When Vick’s three co-defendants pleaded guilty to dog fighting charges and agreed to cooperate with the prosecution by testifying against Vick at trial, Vick agreed to enter a plea bargain with the prosecution. As a result, the prosecution recommended a sentence between 12 and 18 months. However, U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson sentenced Vick to 23 months in prison.

Michael Vick’s dog fighting scandal spawned debate over the appropriate sentence for Vick. Some argue Vick’s sentence was too stringent. They believe that Vick’s celebrity status was used against him to make a statement that animal abuse will not be tolerated. Others disagree, arguing that Vick deserves the maximum punishment available.

There are two factors that indicate that Vick received a more stringent sentence than other similarly-situated criminals. First, in State v. Cyr, a Michigan case with similar facts to Vick’s case, eight defendants were found guilty on charges of conspiracy to violate the state’s dog fighting statute and were sentenced to six months in prison and three years of probation. The prison sentence of each defendant in that case amounts to about one fourth of the time Vick is sentenced to spend behind bars.

Second, the shorter sentences received by Vick’s co-defendants lead to a conclusion that his sentence was more stringent than that of the average dog-fighting conspirator. Although all four men faced a maximum of 5 years in prison, each of Vick’s three co-defendants received a sentence within the range recommended under the Sentencing guidelines while Vick received a sentence greater than that recommended by the prosecution.

The odds may be long on the Steelers signing Vick but I wouldn't say never. I have a feeling that if Tomlin can make an argument for a player he needs and the price is right then Tomlin will get his player. The Rooney's don't interfere too often, that I can think of anyway, in player matters. This whole idea of someone is or isn't a Steelers type player is garbage in my mind. James Harrison looks a bit shady at times. Domestic Abuse, Pit Bull attacking son (never wondered why the Pit Bull was so aggressive?) Santonio Holmes and marijuana. People shouldn't kid themselves that the Steelers won't take a guy they think can help them even if his past is a bit checkered.

I personally don't think Vick was ever that good and I don't think he could help the Steelers much but I kind of hope these reports are right. Just to see the message boards and talk shows explode!!!! It would be fun!

mesaSteeler
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
With the Miller signing we don't have the cap room to sign a good, high character, player let alone a aging loser like Vick.

TommyG
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Offer him a couple hundred thousand and bring him in on goal line and specific scenarios. The way Ben runs around it would not hurt to have another experienced backup.

43Hitman
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
We don't need Korkie Version 2.0 end of discussion.

/thread

fansince'76
07-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Vick was made an example of because he was famous.

Yeah, I'm sure coming up dirty on a piss test while awaiting sentencing on a federal rap had nothing to do with it. His stupidity exacerbated the situation.

fansince'76
07-30-2009, 12:50 AM

Green and Sanders spend 2+ years in a federal pen during their peak athletic years? Yeah, that's what I thought....

Steelers & I
07-30-2009, 12:59 AM
I have a question, does anyone know of a pro athlete from any sport, that has spent time in prison and returned to their respective sport after serving their sentence? I want to emphasize "prison", I'm not speaking of county jail sentences.

I personally can't think of anyone. It seems to me as if the team owners have come to a consensus on this and decided that ex-convicts will not be signed.

BlastFurnace
07-30-2009, 06:56 AM
I have a question, does anyone know of a pro athlete from any sport, that has spent time in prison and returned to their respective sport after serving their sentence? I want to emphasize "prison", I'm not speaking of county jail sentences.

I personally can't think of anyone. It seems to me as if the team owners have come to a consensus on this and decided that ex-convicts will not be signed.

Mike Tyson did and was never the same fighter again after he came out.

I remember a baseball player named Ron Leflore who was a prison inmate in the early 1970's and was discovered by Billy Martin of the Detroit Tigers. Leflore's case was a little different in that he hadn't played in a professional sport before he went to prison though.

fansince'76
07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
On the field, he would be a fantastic addition. He's a top 5 athlete in the entire league, and he would add a dimension to the steelers offense that they haven't seen in years...

And what "dimension" would that be? An athletic QB with zero accuracy and an absolute inability to read defenses (see Kordell Stewart)? That's a "dimension" we don't really need to revisit, IMO.

HometownGal
07-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I'm sure coming up dirty on a piss test while awaiting sentencing on a federal rap had nothing to do with it. His stupidity exacerbated the situation.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. :applaudit:

scsteeler
07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Just a question why are wasting so much time discussing Vick. While I do think everyone deserves a second chance. He will not be a Steeler and the reason being why would we need him! Vick like so many that have made some very dumb decisions and as far as just having someone to just bash on this board we should not be wasting space discussing his future unless the Rooney's were looking to sign him something we all no has not even been looked at by the FO.

4xSBChamps
07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I have a question, does anyone know of a pro athlete from any sport, that has spent time in prison and returned to their respective sport after serving their sentence?

I want to emphasize "prison", I'm not speaking of county jail sentences.

I personally can't think of anyone.

Muhammad Ali comes to mind

truesteelerfan
07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
According to CBSSPORTSLINE, the only team that acknowledges they will even evaluate Vick is the Ravens.....Now I don't want him as a Steeler, but I don't really want to play him twice a year either. He might have even gotten faster in prision...ya know, running to keep himself from getting any personal relationships.

BlastFurnace
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I bet the first post in this thread was more time than the Rooney's have given the thought of bringing Vick here.

jeremysax
07-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I can't pull for Vick. That he "did his time" means that he got caught. It might mean that he wont participate in dog fighting any more because he knows that he would probably get caught again. Nothing that he has said makes me think that he wont participate in dog fighting because he has realised that it is wrong. I cannot understand how a person can think that it's alright to raise dogs for that purpose. It is disgusting to me and I hope that the Steelers don't hire him. People have been banned from sports for gambling and they certainly weren't betting on the death of animals. No Vick Please.

goLERS
07-30-2009, 02:03 PM

wasn't jamal lewis in prison?

revefsreleets
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
According to CBSSPORTSLINE, the only team that acknowledges they will even evaluate Vick is the Ravens.....Now I don't want him as a Steeler, but I don't really want to play him twice a year either. He might have even gotten faster in prision...ya know, running to keep himself from getting any personal relationships.

Two reasons I hope he DOES go to The Rats:
1) The signs...there will be some really good signs in the crowd mocking him, and the networks won't show 99% of them...but if you're in the stands, they can't censor them.
2) I'd love to see the likes of Harrison and Timmons smashing his overrated ass twice a year.

steelreserve
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
2) I'd love to see the likes of Harrison and Timmons smashing his overrated ass twice a year.

I don't know. I seem to remember him giving us fits when we played the Falcons, mostly because he could get away from our pass rush. Granted, it was Porter and Haggans back then, not Harrison and Woodley, but same idea.

Anyway, if he's going to come back this year, I'd rather he do so in the opposite corner of the league instead of possibly helping one of our rivals.

revefsreleets
07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
He won't be playing QB...he'll be in a much more vulnerable position, like WR or RB.

harts
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Vick just isn’t worth the effort.[/B]
I.E I dont want Vick on the Team because he is a "dog Killer"

If you have a problem with Vick Get over it fellow Steeler fans

This man did 2 years in Jail ....he gave almost a million dollars to rehabilitate the dogs that were still alive ( by the way I wonder how much of that money went to the dogs care and not into the non-profit piggybank)......................he has been punished.... more than what he should have been

If your still mad at VIck
you need to Move on!

he made a mistake.. as I am sure everyone here has....

If Vick comes to the Steelers GREAT!
The Steelers would not bring him here if they didnt think he could help

I dont see where Vick fits but I am not the coach and general manager who refused last year to revamp the O-line and did things their way and won a Super Bowl

jjpro11
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
I.E I dont want Vick on the Team because he is a "dog Killer"

If you have a problem with Vick Get over it fellow Steeler fans

This man did 2 years in Jail ....he gave almost a million dollars to rehabilitate the dogs that were still alive ( by the way I wonder how much of that money went to the dogs care and not into the non-profit piggybank)......................he has been punished.... more than what he should have been

If your still mad at VIck
you need to Move on!

he made a mistake.. as I am sure everyone here has....

If Vick comes to the Steelers GREAT!
The Steelers would not bring him here if they didnt think he could help

I dont see where Vick fits but I am not the coach and general manager who refused last year to revamp the O-line and did things their way and won a Super Bowl

oh bullshit.. if it were any of us, we'd be in prison well into the next decade. he never served a day for harming dogs, he went for illegal interstate gambling. if he hadn't been caught, he'd be continuing his dog fighting ring to this day. he had a 100 million dollar contract and still had to live a felon life. how profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering stupid can you possibly be?

it wasn't a mistake either, i am so sick of seeing that be thrown around in regards to him.. it was his way of life, which he chose over and over and over again to live by. a mistake is a one-time occurrence. if he had taken part in one dog fight, realized it was wrong, and never done it again.. that would be a mistake. he's filth, and i don't want my beloved Steelers paying an ex-con. this franchise is above that.

steelreserve
07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
He won't be playing QB...he'll be in a much more vulnerable position, like WR or RB.

You're SURE Flacco isn't going to get injured, or do his best Derek Anderson impersonation this year? Because I'd put the odds at about 50-50.

HometownGal
07-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Two reasons I hope he DOES go to The Rats:
1) The signs...there will be some really good signs in the crowd mocking him, and the networks won't show 99% of them...but if you're in the stands, they can't censor them.

MICHAEL
see
your
THE DOG KILLER

:laughing::toofunny::laughing:

SteelersTilIDie
07-30-2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ssXBzlCdc&feature=fvw

yea i don't want him...right

Psyychoward86
07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
When will the talking heads learn?

HometownGal
07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
oh bullshit.. if it were any of us, we'd be in prison well into the next decade. he never served a day for harming dogs, he went for illegal interstate gambling. if he hadn't been caught, he'd be continuing his dog fighting ring to this day. he had a 100 million dollar contract and still had to live a felon life. how profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering stupid can you possibly be?

it wasn't a mistake either, i am so sick of seeing that be thrown around in regards to him.. it was his way of life, which he chose over and over and over again to live by. a mistake is a one-time occurrence. if he had taken part in one dog fight, realized it was wrong, and never done it again.. that would be a mistake. he's filth, and i don't want my beloved Steelers paying an ex-con. this franchise is above that.

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit:

WELL STATED!!! :thumbsup:

zsheik22
07-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Thats the % chance that Vick will wear a steeler uniform. Tomlin could be doing this as a favor for Vick. By acting interested in him, maybe more teams will want him. Who knows? Whatever it is, we definitely dont need Vick.

I learned my lesson from Stewart.

steeler dude
07-30-2009, 08:46 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02: I think he would fit in nicely. Hell he could walk Ben and Harrisons dogs around the field during practice :rofl:

Fordy
07-30-2009, 09:32 PM

Year completion percentage
2001 44%
2002 55%
2003 50%
2004 56%
2005 55%
2006 52%
career: 53%

yea i dont want him.......either...

The Lakelander
07-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Can Vick long snap? :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
07-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I do not expect to see him in a steelers uniform. It has nothing to do with the dog fighting it has to do with his play on the field. You can go get any highlight vid from youtube you want never gonna change my mind. I didnt like him in Atlanta and i dont like him now. And most of that 1 million dollars went sadly to euthonize the dogs and i am sure it was well short of covering the cost. plus he isnt a steelers kind of guy He isnt the type that will do anything ask of him plus i would guess he would pull a kordell and insist he is a QB

Steel-Bryan
07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I really like vick, he's one of the best mann, hate all u want, idc if he comes to the steelers, but i dont see how we wud use him if we have dixon

jjbrasso
07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I really like vick, he's one of the best mann, hate all u want, idc if he comes to the steelers, but i dont see how we wud use him if we have dixon

Ahhhhhhhhh.........NO!

ricksteelers55
07-30-2009, 10:57 PM

Amen to that !!!

I think we have more chance of signing Brett Favre as a backup to Big Ben than signing Michael Vick.....and unfortunately for him he couldnt sign here someone's already wearing number 7 :p

Vick will sign with the Patriots

jjbrasso
07-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Amen to that !!!

I think we have more chance of signing Brett Favre as a backup to Big Ben than signing Michael Vick.....and unfortunately for him he couldnt sign here someone's already wearing number 7 :p

Damn, I guess that eliminates John Elway too.

Steel-Bryan
07-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh.........NO!

ok so he sucks ? he isnt a threat to any team at all ? ahhh... yes he is !

jjbrasso
07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
ok so he sucks ? he isnt a threat to any team at all ? ahhh... yes he is !

You stated he was one of the best. Ahhhhhhhhh...NO!

KeiselPower99
07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Amen to that !!!

Id perfer him over Charlie at this point.

Steel-Bryan
07-30-2009, 11:29 PM
You stated he was one of the best. Ahhhhhhhhh...NO!

he was

jjbrasso
07-30-2009, 11:37 PM
he was

One of the best...no. One of the most over hyped, over paid, under achieving...yes.

jjbrasso
07-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the video. A four minute highlight video of a quarterback with only two highlights of him throwing the ball. That's really impressive. LOL. You just proved a lot of people right in this thread. Vick sucks at throwing the ball. Isn't that the QBs job?

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 12:33 AM
I can't believe that anyone would sit and type with a straight face that Vick was one of the best QBs in the league.

Seriously...put down the Mary Jane and get back to reality. What has Vick done that could make anyone think he was one of the best QBs in the league? OK he could run. Terrific. But the QB's primary job is to throw the football, something that Vick SUCKS at doing. His career completion %, as pointed out by Fordy, is 53%. That's absolutely pathetic for a starting QB. Those kinds of numbers gets your ass a seat on the bench wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. Imagine if Ben put up those kinds of numbers? The fans would run him out of town on a rail. But Vick puts them up, and he's heralded as the second-coming of Steve Young. Please. :jerkit:

I don't want that overrated felon anywhere near my favorite team. Let the Ratbirds have him - he ain't going to start over Joe Flacco anyway.

harts
07-31-2009, 01:00 AM

duh we know what he went in for but public furor and outrage from people like yourself caused the FEDS to pursue the case the way they did....

regardless of what you consider a "mistake" or not is really irrelevant the fact of the matter is the man has served his time. and he deserves a second chance.......

if he was Joe the Plumber he would have never received 2 years on fed time so give it a rest with that "I don't want a felon playng for the Steelers mess"

I dont think the Steelers need Vick but I hope they Sign Him because this is one of the best franchises in the World of Sports and has the organization and fan base to deal with the backlash from people like yourself

We will see who the True team fans are because whomever signs Vick (and he will get signed) will have to deal with what appears is going to be a serious conundrum....
Support my Team or Support the Dogs

maybe he can go to Cleveland so the Fans wont have to choose :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 01:12 AM
if he was Joe the Plumber he would have never received 2 years on fed time so give it a rest with that "I don't want a felon playng for the Steelers mess"

If it was Joe the Plumber who did that, I guarantee you he gets way more than 2 years in prison. You are completely naive if you believe otherwise. Vick got 2 years because of who he is, plain and simple. I'm shocked he got that much time, to be honest.

I don't know why we're even discussing this anyway. The Rooney family will never, EVER sign Vick. They care very much about their stature and image, and they don't want anything tarnishing that. Not to mention that they don't want a media circus following the team 24/7. They're going to get enough of that from Ben's situation. So you can wake up from your wet dream any second now.

harts
07-31-2009, 02:12 AM
If it was Joe the Plumber who did that, I guarantee you he gets way more than 2 years in prison. You are completely naive if you believe otherwise. Vick got 2 years because of who he is, plain and simple. I'm shocked he got that much time, to be honest.

your delusional if you think that Joe the Plumber gets way less time ... matter of fact Joe the plumber does not get Prosecuted by the FEDS (because they would not have been bothered to prosecute) and the locals give him 4-5 months at the most....

There are plenty of fans who think they way you do in every NFL city but it only takes one NFL franchise to sign him

get over it already .... VICK hasnt killed a dog in at least 3 years... time to move on

forgive -- maybe not forget-- hell maybe not forgive either....

but the man has paid his debt.... we should have a poll if Vick signs with the Steelers will you cease being a fan.........................

Fullback&Punter
07-31-2009, 08:16 AM
your delusional if you think that Joe the Plumber gets way less time ... matter of fact Joe the plumber does not get Prosecuted by the FEDS (because they would not have been bothered to prosecute) and the locals give him 4-5 months at the most....

There are plenty of fans who think they way you do in every NFL city but it only takes one NFL franchise to sign him

get over it already .... VICK hasnt killed a dog in at least 3 years... time to move on

but the man has paid his debt.... we should have a poll if Vick signs with the Steelers will you cease being a fan.........................

Right on! Most first time offenders get 6 months or less. Some don't even do time. Look it up. Even the prosecutor only recommended 12-18 months. And the judge gave him 23.

And to the person who said Vick doesn't feel sorry. How would you know but really, who cares? Jail is supposed to teach you not to do it again. I bet he never does it again. So job done. I don't care if he's sorry or not. Just don't do it again.

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 08:32 AM
well vick was here in the pittsburgh this past week and did get a workout....

and vick was/is prob the best athlete in the nfl

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Very true regardless of his position. Half the draft is based on selecting the best althlete and thats what Vick is. I dont condone what he did in any way but he still is a human being. Look at what others have done (stallworth) and served 24 days. I think Pittsburgh would be the best place for him to rebuild his career and also help this team out too in some way and the oraganization wouldnt let the media kill em if it happened. They could survive the media blow. This could be a steal if we snag him. I waiting to see if we sign him he gets in during the season and makes a cluth play or something crazy how many ppl will be loving it.:tt03::tt03:

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Even the prosecutor only recommended 12-18 months. And the judge gave him 23.

And how many people come up dirty on a piss test while awaiting sentencing?

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the video. A four minute highlight video of a quarterback with only two highlights of him throwing the ball. That's really impressive. LOL. You just proved a lot of people right in this thread. Vick sucks at throwing the ball. Isn't that the QBs job?

People say he cant pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7dFBfhpm5w&feature=related

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 09:36 AM
People say he cant pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7dFBfhpm5w&feature=related

53% career completion rate. Not so hot. But yeah, let's bring him in and relegate our 2-time SB winning QB to the bench. Gotta get the "best athlete"out on the field! :coffee:

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
People say he cant pass

He can't. End of story.

Jail is supposed to teach you not to do it again. I bet he never does it again. So job done. I don't care if he's sorry or not. Just don't do it again.

And how many former cons end up right back in the pokey several years - and in a lot of cases several months - down the road? :doh:

To your first paragraph - :rofl::laughing::toofunny: What star did you fall from?

WOW I'm impressed!! Michael the Dog Killer hasn't savagely murdered an innocent animal in 3 years - WOO HOO! :rolleyes:

The Steelers aren't going to touch this shitbag with a 10 foot pole. If hell froze over and they did sign him, I wouldn't cease being a Steelers fan, as I am a fan of the team as a whole, but I would make my disgust known to the FO.

scsteeler
07-31-2009, 09:46 AM
How many years should PETA get for killing Animals?

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 10:03 AM
He can't. End of story.

And how many former cons end up right back in the pokey several years - and in a lot of cases several months - down the road? :doh:

To your first paragraph - :rofl::laughing::toofunny: What star did you fall from?

WOW I'm impressed!! Michael the Dog Killer hasn't savagely murdered an innocent animal in 3 years - WOO HOO! :rolleyes:

The Steelers aren't going to touch this shitbag with a 10 foot pole. If hell froze over and they did sign him, I wouldn't cease being a Steelers fan, as I am a fan of the team as a whole, but I would make my disgust known to the FO.

Not saying this to be mean in anyway but what gives us anyright for us to judge a person for what they've done in the past. Are we perfect, NOPE! James Harrison got into trouble for smacking his wife/gf around whichever. Being a lady how do you feel about that. Do you still support him? Does everyone else? YES! lets face it it players are still human no matter how much they make or what job they do. Not condoning what they do but they are still regular people.When Steelers players are in the news everyone claims them to be innocent. Like i said im not trying to stir up trouble by any means but lets face it our opinions dont mater one way or another to the Steelers. If its a good move for them and they see a benefit what we say wont matter. You support the team not one player. And i didnt say Vick would start either.

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
How many years should PETA get for killing Animals?

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

BINGO!!!

BlastFurnace
07-31-2009, 10:27 AM

I'm curious, where was this reported from?

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 10:41 AM

You mean the feds wouldn't go after someone who was violating FEDERAL gambling laws by operating an illegal gambling ring? Really? Because after all, that is the REAL reason Vick went to prison. If it was just animal cruelty, he more than likely doesn't even serve a day in prison. But it wasn't. Yes, I stand by my statement that Joe the Plumber gets more time, and YOU are the one who is delusional if you believe otherwise.

harts
07-31-2009, 10:43 AM

the killing the dog comment was meant as SARCASM .... guess you missed that ...... next time I will spell it out for you ... ok :snail::snail::snail:

look I dont agree with what VIck did by any means but what's done is done and it's time to move on .....

get a grip people

Jackal
07-31-2009, 10:46 AM

If Joe the Plumber was running an illegal interstate gambling ring, as Vick was (and for which he was sentenced to 2 years), he would've received a minimum of 3 years in federal prison for doing so. The feds would've certainly taken notice, because any interstate crime is a federal offense, no matter if you're Michael Vick or Michael Harris, fry cook at the local McDonald's.

Bringing Vick to the Steelers would be one of the dumbest things management could do. You have a franchise that is repeatedly heralded as one of the classiest, most well-run in all of professional sports, and bringing in someone with such a widespread negative image amongst the media, sports fans, and society in general, would do serious damage to the goodwill and brand image of the team.

harts
07-31-2009, 10:47 AM
You mean the feds wouldn't go after someone who was violating FEDERAL gambling laws by operating an illegal gambling ring? Really? Because after all, that is the REAL reason Vick went to prison. Yes, I stand by my statement that Joe the Plumber gets more time, and YOU are the one who is delusional if you believe otherwise.

In this case the FEDS jumped in ahead of the local Prosecuter.... really it was some FED DA trying to get a notch in his belt ---> I.E I am the prosecuter who sent VICK to prison ......

If this is Joe The Plumber he does not get sent up on FED TIME because the locals handle it and the FEDS pursue someone else with either more fame or more crimes.

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 10:47 AM

From the moon, obviously. If Vick had been in Pittsburgh, KDKA would have been on it like flies on manure and I've heard nothing on their newscasts and have read nothing on their website to suggest any truth to that rumor.

harts
07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Bringing Vick to the Steelers would be one of the dumbest things management could do. You have a franchise that is repeatedly heralded as one of the classiest, most well-run in all of professional sports, and bringing in someone with such a widespread negative image amongst the media, sports fans, and society in general, would do serious damage to the goodwill and brand image of the team.

I.E you dont like Vick because he is a "Dog Killer"
get over it
and tell us how you really feel

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
In this case the FEDS jumped in ahead of the local Prosecuter.... really it was some FED DA trying to get a notch in his belt ---> I.E I am the prosecuter who sent VICK to prison ......

If this is Joe The Plumber he does not get sent up on FED TIME because the locals handle it and the FEDS pursue someone else with either more fame or more crimes.

Bullshit.

Illegal gambling ring = federal offense = feds get involved REGARDLESS of your status. They don't care if you're Michael Vick or Michael from the pizza shop down the street. And that's the bottom line. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with a DA wanting a "notch" on his belt or some other excuse you want to come up with.

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 10:59 AM
get over it

Whelp - I can't answer for him, but I will stand up and say that I don't like Vick for several reasons:

(1) He's one of the most overrated QB's ever to play the game. He can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass consistently, but that is overlooked because he is a "talented athlete". Give me a break. :rolleyes:

(2) Take a gander at some of his "shenanigans" even before he decided to torture, maim and murder innocent dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick#Incidents.2C_criminal_troubles

(3) Anyone - whether a professional athlete or the average Joe/Jane - who gets his/her kicks out of brutalizing children or animals is a COWARD. Michael Vick is a coward and goes against everything the Pittsburgh Steelers represent.

(4) Yes - I loathe him because he is a dog killer and I stand by my opinion of him 100%.

Jackal
07-31-2009, 11:08 AM
get over it

For the love of God, can you actually formulate a semi-intelligent response to other's objections, or do the 7 brain cells you have left prevent you from saying anything but "You don't like him because he's a dog killer." In addition to thinking you're profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering retarded and need to go be a troll on some other board, I don't like Vick because he's a "dog killer." I think he's a total piece of s**t and should've been forced to fight for his life one-on-one with one of his cohorts as a condition of his release...winner gets paroled, loser gets a pine box.

You act as if he made a simple, one-off mistake, like overestimating his ability to drive after a few beers. A person who repeatedly and willfully decides to commit despicable acts, whether it be killing innocent animals for a profit, stealing, defrauding others, etc., etc., has serious character flaws and should have no place anywhere near the Steelers. He has earned his reputation and, whether or not you think he's repaid his debt to society, he deserves every bit of hardship that lies ahead for him.

harts
07-31-2009, 11:22 AM
You act as if he made a simple, one-off mistake, like overestimating his ability to drive after a few beers. A person who repeatedly and willfully decides to commit despicable acts, whether it be killing innocent animals for a profit, stealing, defrauding others, etc., etc., has serious character flaws and should have no place anywhere near the Steelers. He has earned his reputation and, whether or not you think he's repaid his debt to society, he deserves every bit of hardship that lies ahead for him.

In actuality his sentence was way too harsh in comparison to others who have molested kids and killed people and have received less time...
(maybe your one of those people who think a dog's life is worth more than a human:coffee::coffee::coffee:)

I am all about giving this guy a chance......... I am not harping on the past crime he committed that he has already been punished for and has served his time.

THE DOG STUFF IS OVER -- IT HAS ENDED!.... what VICK does from here on out is what he should be judged on and not the past!.....

I dont agree with what he did but Vick has shown remorse and is even working with organizations to help Dogs and educate people on the ills of dogfighting..........

Vick is trying to make sure that INNOCENT dogs dont get killed in the future.........now if you believe or dont believe in his sincerity in the issue is up to you........but VICK is trying to correct a wrong

I am sure this whole Vick case has made NFL players think twice about dogfighting so I am sure you will not see an NFL player in trouble for this......

but the rest of the population.............dogfighting will continue as it has for centuries

Jackal
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
If YOU believe his sincerity, you need to get your head checked. Of course he gave money to help animals, it's called Crisis Management. His agent instructed him to do so to try to make him look better.

I've also never heard of a child molestor getting a slap on the wrist, as for murder, it depends on the circumstances. I certainly have never heard of any repeat offenders of either crime getting less than 3 years.

As for the "rest of the population," I don't think dogfighting is really that widespread. From every indication I've seen, it's typically relegated to a small, select sub-segment of the population.

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM

i was told by this last night when i was eating dinner with scott paxson, jeff reed, deshea townsend, and jason capazzi...

SteelersTilIDie
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
One of the best...no. One of the most over hyped, over paid, under achieving...yes.

no, one of the most exciting players in NFL history and the all time NFL quarterbacks rushing leader, and he did shred the steelers D for 4 td's, didn't he?

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
From the moon, obviously. If Vick had been in Pittsburgh, KDKA would have been on it like flies on manure and I've heard nothing on their newscasts and have read nothing on their website to suggest any truth to that rumor.

just b/c "kdka" didn't report it..doesn't mean it's true.. like how i responded to the ? bout where i got it from...

we were talking about half the shit that happens.. but is hush hush and the sports world does not get a wind of

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
no, one of the most exciting players in NFL history and the all time NFL quarterbacks rushing leader, and he did shred the steelers D for 4 td's, didn't he?

vick is not the all time leading rusher for QB's.

he is 3rd on that list...

even so.. he might not be the best qb.. but the man is an athlete and can play the game of football..

i bet alge crumpler did not mind having vick as his qb.. those were his best yrs i bet stat wise...

jjpro11
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM

the local prosecutor was a crook and just wanted to gain votes since the voters heavily supported Vick. don't even mention him in this case, because everyone knows what a joke he was.

and to the person that compared him to James Harrison... please.. what James Harrison did was very stupid, but that was a "mistake"... not what Vick was doing. it was a spur of the moment incident and immediately after he confessed and acknowledged his wrong. Vick repeatedly lied and kept up the lifestyle until he was caught.

harts
07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
If YOU believe his sincerity, you need to get your head checked. Of course he gave money to help animals, it's called Crisis Management. His agent instructed him to do so to try to make him look better.

I've also never heard of a child molestor getting a slap on the wrist, as for murder, it depends on the circumstances. I certainly have never heard of any repeat offenders of either crime getting less than 3 years.

As for the "rest of the population," I don't think dogfighting is really that widespread. From every indication I've seen, it's typically relegated to a small, select sub-segment of the population.

I know what it is called ... doesnt matter about his sincerity he is making an effort just like your favorite politician down the block....

Vick was never a repeat offender for crimes against dogs - this was his 1st offence....
So is .........
Dog > Human?
Not in my eyes

you can serve 24 days in Jail for killing someone and countless others have received less than 23 months for killing people

Jesus LET IT GO MAN ... DOggy gate is over.... Vick is not going to kill anymore dogs... OK .... you have had your pounds of flesh ...

VIck is starting over and has lost more money than most will ever see (not me though, I am gonna be RICH:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:)

people need to get their priorities right .... half these people complaining about Vick have no problem going out and killing INNOCENT deer and other animals to mount as trophies in their living rooms

typical hypocritical actions I say

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I hope Vick signs with a team and then uses his spare time to get into ..................c0ckfighting.

revefsreleets
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM
The fact is, Vick, in his prime, minus the rust, hovered just above the Kordoza Line (look it up if you don't know what it is...it's pretty much the statistical equivalent of complete mediocrity). He was a very below average QB who possessed a great ability to run.

If he was such a great athlete, and his character is so high, he'd have been signed IMMEDIATELY upon becoming available.

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
I hope Vick signs with a team and then uses his spare time to get into ..................c0ckfighting.

I hope Vick signs with a team so this idiotic subject would get dropped already.

jjbrasso
07-31-2009, 12:13 PM
In actuality his sentence was way too harsh in comparison to others who have molested kids and killed people and have received less time...
(maybe your one of those people who think a dog's life is worth more than a human:coffee::coffee::coffee:)

I am all about giving this guy a chance......... I am not harping on the past crime he committed that he has already been punished for and has served his time.

THE DOG STUFF IS OVER -- IT HAS ENDED!.... what VICK does from here on out is what he should be judged on and not the past!.....

I dont agree with what he did but Vick has shown remorse and is even working with organizations to help Dogs and educate people on the ills of dogfighting..........

Vick is trying to make sure that INNOCENT dogs dont get killed in the future.........now if you believe or dont believe in his sincerity in the issue is up to you........but VICK is trying to correct a wrong

I am sure this whole Vick case has made NFL players think twice about dogfighting so I am sure you will not see an NFL player in trouble for this......

but the rest of the population.............dogfighting will continue as it has for centuries

Wow! Sorry you feel this way. Perhaps you should seek counseling yourself. Once again, MIchael Vich is a worthless P.O.S., over rated, over hyped, under achieving has been NFL QB.

Edman
07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I've just heard a rumor that Vick was in Pittsburgh headquarters this afternoon.

If this is true, Even if we don't sign him, why are we wasting our time on him? I might give him a fighting chance as a "Slash" but not as a QB.

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I know what it is called ... doesnt matter about his sincerity he is making an effort just like your favorite politician down the block....

Vick was never a repeat offender for crimes against dogs - this was his 1st offence....
So is .........
Dog > Human?
Not in my eyes

you can serve 24 days in Jail for killing someone and countless others have received less than 23 months for killing people

Jesus LET IT GO MAN ... DOggy gate is over.... Vick is not going to kill anymore dogs... OK .... you have had your pounds of flesh ...

VIck is starting over and has lost more money than most will ever see (not me though, I am gonna be RICH:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:)

people need to get their priorities right .... half these people complaining about Vick have no problem going out and killing INNOCENT deer and other animals to mount as trophies in their living rooms

One small problem with your statement there, chief. Hunting is LEGAL. Dogfighting and operating an illegal gambling ring are ILLEGAL.

And that, once again, is the bottom line.

Give it up, man. Nobody has to give Vick any sympathy whatsoever if they don't want to. Quit chastising everyone because they don't agree with you.

BlastFurnace
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
i was told by this last night when i was eating dinner with scott paxson, jeff reed, deshea townsend, and jason capazzi...

Are you serious. I don't know you very well and I have no idea if you are kidding or not.

That would shock me.

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 12:33 PM
VIck is starting over and has lost more money than most will ever see....

:violin:

KeiselPower99
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I want Favre I want Favre I want Favre!!!

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I've just heard a rumor that Vick was in Pittsburgh headquarters this afternoon.

If this is true, Even if we don't sign him, why are we wasting our time on him? I might give him a fighting chance as a "Slash" but not as a QB.

well.. i just got a txt from a buddy.. and he confirmed that vick is at steelers HQ today...

told u i wasn't bullshitting

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Are you serious. I don't know you very well and I have no idea if you are kidding or not.

That would shock me.

no i am not joking .. we went to nakama down in south side for dinner..

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I hope Vick signs with a team so this idiotic subject would get dropped already.

Ya know '76..........I think we need a big RB. Anybody ever mention that?? :chuckle:

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Ya know '76..........I think we need a big RB. Anybody ever mention that?? :chuckle:

Ahh shit, don't say that, UFN is lurking on the boards today. It's only a matter of time before the FWP debate gets started up again.

Indo
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
we should have a poll if Vick signs with the Steelers will you cease being a fan.........................

I'll start....
YES

I love the Steelers
Have been a fan since I was 5 or 6 years old

But THIS is not what the Steelers are about.
I'm guessing that you have not been around very many criminals. I have.
There is no such thing a REHAB. In jail they learn one thing and one thing only---survival of the fittest. Alpha Wolf. Jail makes criminals into hardened criminals.

Vick---he's a CRIMINAL. Period.
Second chances----why is it OK for anyone, but especially the Steelers, to send the message that it's ok to break the law? "Don't worry, we know you are an adult that is exempt from knowing right from wrong. We'll give you another chance to see if you GOT IT this time..."
F*CK THAT-----too many touch-feely tree huggers are the problem with the country today. Penalties/punishment for breaking the law are too weak...Do you ever wonder why there is no graffiti inSingapore---because THEY BEAT YOU WITH A CANE UNTIL YOU GO UNCONSCIOUS! What do you think they do if you engage in illegal dogfighting, gambling rings, and cruelty to animals?

I will cease being a Steeler fan.
How's that for my convictions?

Sharkissle29
07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Vick Signs a deal with the Steelers.

Source: Someones twitter

RunWillieRun
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Vick Signs a deal with the Steelers.

Source: Someones twitter

:sofunny:

jjpro11
07-31-2009, 02:26 PM

So is .........
Dog > Human?
Not in my eyes

you are so profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering delusional, i am done responding to whatever you say.

LeMagnifique
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Sorry, but I care more about my dogs than I do about most of the humans in this world. Dogs are innocent creatures who have been bred and raised to trust people and rely on them for everything, much like a baby. What Vick did is sadism at its worst, and that's not a trait that restricts itself to a certain type of creature. I'm sure if he thought he could get away with it, it would've been people.

I mean, seriously, what kind of sick f*** electrocutes and hangs dogs? I've loved the Steelers since I can remember and I bleed Black and Gold, but I would have a hard time rooting for a team with Michael Vick on its roster. Fortunately, Tomlin can talk until he's blue in the face about the guy deserving a second chance, but I can't see the Rooneys ever agreeing to sign him. When it comes to character issues, they'd sign Plax before they'd sign Vick. At least Plax is just a moron, not a sadist.

Ok, starting to get angry. Gonna stop before I break something.

Dino 6 Rings
07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
With our trouble getting into the endzone from inside the 5...Why the Heck not...

Embrace the Dark Side.

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 02:57 PM
I'll start....
YES

I love the Steelers
Have been a fan since I was 5 or 6 years old

But THIS is not what the Steelers are about.
I'm guessing that you have not been around very many criminals. I have.
There is no such thing a REHAB. In jail they learn one thing and one thing only---survival of the fittest. Alpha Wolf. Jail makes criminals into hardened criminals.

Vick---he's a CRIMINAL. Period.
Second chances----why is it OK for anyone, but especially the Steelers, to send the message that it's ok to break the law? "Don't worry, we know you are an adult that is exempt from knowing right from wrong. We'll give you another chance to see if you GOT IT this time..."
F*CK THAT-----too many touch-feely tree huggers are the problem with the country today. Penalties/punishment for breaking the law are too weak...Do you ever wonder why there is no graffiti inSingapore---because THEY BEAT YOU WITH A CANE UNTIL YOU GO UNCONSCIOUS! What do you think they do if you engage in illegal dogfighting, gambling rings, and cruelty to animals?

I will cease being a Steeler fan.
How's that for my convictions?

Santonio Holmes: Caught smokin a blunt by police. Illegal activity and you still support him

James Harrison: Smacking arounf his wife/gf. Abuse and you still support him too i bet.

My point is that everyone has done something illegal before in their life. The severity is a different thing. But no matter what people deserve a second chance. Now if he murdered a human we wouldnt be talking because he would have gotten life. If signing a player you dont agree with determines your support to the STEELERS then you can jump ship now because regarless of the signing or not you my friend are not a true steeler fan.:banging:

Steel-Bryan
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Santonio Holmes: Caught smokin a blunt by police. Illegal activity and you still support him

James Harrison: Smacking arounf his wife/gf. Abuse and you still support him too i bet.

My point is that everyone has done something illegal before in their life. The severity is a different thing. But no matter what people deserve a second chance. Now if he murdered a human we wouldnt be talking because he would have gotten life. If signing a player you dont agree with determines your support to the STEELERS then you can jump ship now because regarless of the signing or not you my friend are not a true steeler fan.:banging:

Amen.

zsheik22
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM

Donte ran someone over drunk and got his xbox and ps3 taken away for a weekend.

Stupid anyways, everyone with at least 1/8 of a brain knows that Vick will NEVER play for the steelers. Rooney wouldnt have it.

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Donte ran someone over drunk and got his xbox and ps3 taken away for a weekend.

Stupid anyways, everyone with at least 1/8 of a brain knows that Vick will NEVER play for the steelers. Rooney wouldnt have it.

Harrison and Tone are still there.

Why do ppl turn the blind eye when someone on the Steelers break the news but when someone else in the league makes the news ppl are all over it. The steelers have great leadership on and off the field and id bet any player on the roster would welcome his as long as he comes to work.

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Harrison and Tone are still there.

Why do ppl turn the blind eye when someone on the Steelers break the news but when someone else in the league makes the news ppl are all over it. The steelers have great leadership on and off the field and id bet any player on the roster would welcome his as long as he comes to work.

I see your point, but the Steelers aren't big fans of pre-existing problems.

St33lersguy
07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, sure.....next story!!!

Dino 6 Rings
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I wonder what Number Vick would wear in Pittsburgh...wasn't he number 7?

Maybe 11 or something. Or wait, he served 18 months in federal prison right...that's a good number...18.

revefsreleets
07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I think he should drag the Ron Mexico pseudonym out of mothballs...what, nobody remembers that Vick also has herpes?

Dino 6 Rings
07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
That's right Ron Mexico and Dog Fighting and bringing a hidden chamber water bottle to the airport.

Didn't he flip off the fans in WVU too when he was at VA Tech? And maybe he did that as a pro as well. Pretty sure he did.

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
That's right Ron Mexico and Dog Fighting and bringing a hidden chamber water bottle to the airport.

Didn't he flip off the fans in WVU too when he was at VA Tech? And maybe he did that as a pro as well. Pretty sure he did.

I know for sure he did it in the Pro's, but I think it was Marcus that did that in WVU. Or was it Marcus that stomped on that dudes leg? Shit, that whole family has been so screwed up I can't remember who did what .

harts
07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
One small problem with your statement there, chief. Hunting is LEGAL. Dogfighting and operating an illegal gambling ring are ILLEGAL.

And that, once again, is the bottom line.

Give it up, man. Nobody has to give Vick any sympathy whatsoever if they don't want to. Quit chastising everyone because they don't agree with you.

just because some politician who likes killing off deer made it lawful doesn't mean it's right?
what really is the difference between a deer and a dog?
classification?

like I said in my previous post I know what the charge was but the sentence he received was unjust and fueled by emotional people like yourself...

wasnt the Judge that sentenced Vick an animal lover?

I am not here to change minds I am here to throw a much needed mirror into the face of people like you who are so hypocritical of the situation..

logical analysis of the situation would state that Vick deserves a 2nd chance ............but many are operating on their emotions and cant see straight.........that's sad and immature

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Just curious harts, has all 10 of your posts been in this thread?

harts
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
you are so profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering delusional, i am done responding to whatever you say.

NO my friend it's you who are delusional and your delusion is fueled by emotion which make your statements irrational and inconsistent.............subsequently leading to this post where you have in effect shut down and put your hands over your ears like a little kid

everything I have stated is FACT... VICK deserves a second chance

some people can't handle the truth

jjbrasso
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
just because some politician who likes killing off deer made it lawful doesn't mean it's right?
classification?

like I said in my previous post I know what the charge was but the sentence he received was unjust and fueled by emotional people like yourself...

I am not here to change minds I am here to throw a much needed mirror into the face of people like you who are so hypocritical of the situation..

logical analysis of the situation would state that Vick deserves a 2nd chance ............but many are operating on their emotions and cant see straight.........that's sad and immature

Just out of curiousity, are you a veegan?

mmalone
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, sure.....next story!!!

This whole board always says the steelers pick smart, trouble free players....

So they would get Vick :rofl:

We have Dennis Dixon, lets move him up to #2 and he can show how much faster and smarter he is than a Vick...

harts
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Just curious harts, has all 10 of your posts been in this thread?

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I knew someone would ask that!

Ha

NO

11 posts in this thread counting this one

I have been visiting this board since I joined..... I am sick of the Vick bashing .... there are bigger "fish" :laughing::laughing: to fry

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I think he should drag the Ron Mexico pseudonym out of mothballs...

http://chuchscoop.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/ronmexico.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

harts
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Just out of curiousity, are you a veegan?

Hell no

I eat the pig, cow, turkey, seafood, but not the Deer ..

I personally think hunting for sport should be banned but I will not protest those that do it as long as they dont eradicate the species they are hunting

jjbrasso
07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Hell no

I eat the pig, cow, turkey, seafood, but not the Deer ..

I personally think hunting for sport should be banned but I will not protest those that do it as long as they dont eradicate the species they are hunting

Damn hypocrite!

harts
07-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Damn hypocrite!

I knew you was trying to lead me into something when you asked me that before ............some people are so predictable..........

your statement has no base though ......it's a baseless statement

becuase it is stated doesnt mean it is fact

please

WWP
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
This is getting blown way out of proportion. There is no way Vick signs with the Steelers. It just doesn't make any sense and I can't think of any logical scenario where he would fit on this team.

I am surprised analysts are guessing this, but it is not happening.

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
http://chuchscoop.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/ronmexico.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can someone please photoshop a Steelers jersey on this pic, cause that's the closest he'll ever come to wearing one.

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
classification?

I'm a hypocrite because I don't sympathize with people who deliberately and carelessly break the law?

Whatever, dude.

I'm sick of people just giving free passes, turning a blind eye and just flat-out excusing criminals. If some team wants to take a chance on this jackass, they're welcome to it and all of the negative attention that comes with it. So long as that team is NOT the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I will not apologize for how I feel, YOU will not make me feel I should apologize for how I feel because it does not fit in with your world view. So please, do us all a favor and go back to lurking, or go find a board where people will happily kiss Vick's ass and cry about how "unfair" people are being because they don't sympathize with lawbreakers.

harts
07-31-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm sick of people just giving free passes, turning a blind eye and just flat-out excusing criminals. If some team wants to take a chance on this jackass, they're welcome to it and all of the negative attention that comes with it. So long as that team is NOT the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I will not apologize for how I feel, YOU will not make me feel I should apologize for how I feel because it does not fit in with your world view. So please, do us all a favor and go back to lurking, or go find a board where people will happily kiss Vick's ass and cry about how "unfair" people are being because they don't sympathize with lawbreakers.

If we apply this logic one could surmise the following:

get rid of Santonio get rid of Harrison and since Ben is in a rape civil suit get rid of him

tell me does your outrage extend to these individuals because 2 out of 3 have arrested and the 3rd is going to trial ...
now I think it's totally absurd in all 3 cases for these guys not to be playing but if we apply your belief system what you just said to the 3 mentioned above then they are not playing for the steelers

but you are selective in how you judge others based on your emotional reaction to the offense committed...

hypocrite

dont like hearing the truth so you scream GO AWAY! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

like I said.............. some people cant handle the truth

Indo
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm a hypocrite because I don't sympathize with people who deliberately and carelessly break the law?

Whatever, dude.

Amen

Somehow this hart guy (assuming he's male) just doesn't get it.
We are not Vick-bashing. We ARE bashing CRIMINALS who break the law. There are Laws saying that what he did is not legal. The fact that he ignored what he knew to be Illegal (dog fighting, gambling rings, killing dogs) says a lot about his CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY. People that don't have Character and Integrity to begin with DO NOT acquire it while in prison. Those of us in the Steeler Nation who realize that the Rooneys have worked hard to keep Character and Integrity within the Steeler Organization want it to stay that way.
Inviting a player of any caliber on to the team would ruin the Character and Integrity of the Steelers.
It is not Vick-bashing. It is bashing Criminals. The rest of us play by the rules. Why should ANYONE not be held accountable to those same rules.
F*ck Vick. F*ck his boys. F*ck Bad Newz Kennels.

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
classification?

How many people that you know of have deer as household pets and consider them a part of their family??? :doh: :shake02:

I think it is YOU with the cross-eyes, buddy. Most people who are opposed to Vick wearing the B&G aren't opposed to him receiving a second chance - but NOT with the Pittsburgh Steelers for reasons that have already been emphasized in this thread.

http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/RBP/RBP9007140_P.JPG

harts
07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
How many people that you know of have deer as household pets and consider them a part of their family??? :doh: :shake02:

you have already proven that your a dog lover .. so your position is of bias and based on your emotional attachment to the dog..

you are one of those people (and their are many in this thread) who cant see straight because of their anger.....

sad

you even proved it further by posting those ridiculous photos...

he did his time, he cant go back and change things... VICK can only move forward........ let Vick show remorse and meanwhile learn to get over it......

jeez

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 05:26 PM
you have already proven that your a dog lover .. so your position is of bias and based on your emotional attachment to the dog..

you are one of those people (and their are many in this thread) who cant see straight because of their anger.....

sad

you even proved it further by posting those ridiculous photos...

he did his time, he cant go back and change things... VICK can only move forward........ let Vick show remorse and meanwhile learn to get over it......

jeez

NO - my position is NOT out of bias because I am an animal lover. It is based on the fact that I don't want trash on the team I've loved and supported for over 40 years.

You are comparing apples and oranges with regard to Vick, Harrison and Santo. The Harrison and Holmes charges were DROPPED. Vick admitted his guilt (eventually, after lying about it in the beginning) and was CONVICTED of a Federal offense. I'll say this here and now - though I believe 100% in Ben's innocence, IF his case eventually ends up in criminal court and subsequently goes to trial (which won't happen) and he is legally convicted of rape, I will be done with him and so will the Steelers. Period.

I strongly suggest you knock off the condescending attitude and remarks or you're gonig to be on the outside looking in.

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 05:36 PM
NO - my position is NOT out of bias because I am an animal lover. It is based on the fact that I don't want trash on the team I've loved and supported for over 40 years.

You are comparing apples and oranges with regard to Vick, Harrison and Santo. The Harrison and Holmes charges were DROPPED. Vick admitted his guilt (eventually, after lying about it in the beginning) and was CONVICTED of a Federal offense. I'll say this here and now - though I believe 100% in Ben's innocence, IF his case eventually ends up in criminal court and subsequently goes to trial (which won't happen) and he is legally convicted of rape, I will be done with him and so will the Steelers. Period.

I strongly suggest you knock off the condescending attitude and remarks or you're gonig to be on the outside looking in.

As much as it sucks no matter what we feel or how we feel isnt going to change what the FO decides to do either way. I say we just let it play out and whatever happens, happens. This is a subject that going to keep going on and on because everyone has diferent opinions. Lets look forward to who we have currently.

Go Steelers!!!:tt03::tt03:

harts
07-31-2009, 05:37 PM

no one is condescending ... you dont like what I post so you threaten censorship?
well that's great!
exercise your power!
I can always register under another name if I want to post but I will probably just go back to lurking anyway... no big deal

that's sad that you would go there but oh well.... what can I do?
You hold the power

Indo
07-31-2009, 05:37 PM
They just don't get it, HTG----another (chest)Thumper trying to prove his point by banging us all on the head with a hammer...

the fact that he doesn't "get it" about Vick's Character/ Integrity says a lot about his character & integrity, doesn't it?

harts
07-31-2009, 05:43 PM
They just don't get it, HTG----another (chest)Thumper trying to prove his point by banging us all on the head with a hammer...

the fact that he doesn't "get it" about Vick's Character/ Integrity says a lot about his character & integrity, doesn't it?

If "character" was the deciding factor to play in the NFL --> 50% would not be playing in the NFL today

When you get men who play a violent game willfully hurling their bodies into each other you are not gonna have "choir boys"

Some hide their character flaws better than others ...... some dont get caught

revefsreleets
07-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Harts is either:

A) Mike Vick
B) Mike Vick's Mother
C) Mike Vick's agent

You're selling, dude, and we all get that...however, no one here is buying...

Vick is garbage. He's a physically talented stupid piece of human trash.

harts
07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Harts is either:

A) Mike Vick
B) Mike Vick's Mother
C) Mike Vick's agent

You're selling, dude, and we all get that...however, no one here is buying...

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I am not selling dude, I am selling the fact that Vick deserves a second chance based on how others in similar and far more extreme situations have been treated

that's all really

cubanstogie
07-31-2009, 05:52 PM
If "character" was the deciding factor to play in the NFL --> 50% would not be playing in the NFL today

When you get men who play a violent game willfully hurling their bodies into each other you are not gonna have "choir boys"

I haven't read all the posts, but I will say you hit the nail on the head there. I have been saying for years, athletes and politicians for that matter are not role models. You can include actors in there as well. They all live in a fantasy world with endless amount of power and money and feel invincible. Vick is not the only evil, lying, selfish prick in the NFL and for that he deserves to play in this league of felons as much as Ray Lewis, Pac Man, Plaxico and any other criminal who takes the field on Sunday. For the record the President is not a role model either, I have been telling my 5 year old daughter for 2 years not to use the word "stupid" and now the prez calls a civil servant protecting lives stupid. I don''t like Vick and never thought he was a great QB, athlete yes but not QB, but I can't wait until he signs with any team other than the Steelers.

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 05:53 PM
no one is condescending ... you dont like what I post so you threaten censorship?
well that's great!
exercise your power!
I can always register under another name if I want to post but I will probably just go back to lurking anyway... no big deal

You hold the power

Actually you are being condescending and should really just let this go. When you tell someone they are "biased" and '"sad" you are merely just trying to trivialize their opinion so they will conform to yours, and therefore become condescending. We all know your stand and your opinion. We get it, while some may agree with you, many others don't. So what good are you doing by ramming your opinion down our collective throats. You only going to find yourself more alienated than when you began this argument.

Indo
07-31-2009, 05:57 PM

Why don't you check out #43
POSTERCHILD for character

R2sojr
07-31-2009, 06:03 PM

Just because someone posts their opinion doesnt mean you can judge their character based off of their opinion? Awesome. I just beleive that ppl are to sensitive and cannot take another persons opninion when it differs from there own.

harts
07-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Why don't you check out #43
POSTERCHILD for character

I love the way Polamalo plays but he has had a few concussions through the years.......again the position he plays and the way he plays it requires an inner will that many do not have..

that inner will that drives him on the football field is the same will that could manifest itself into what many would call "character flaws"

I don't know Troy other than what I see on Sundays so that's all I can judge ... I admire him as a player and that's as far as it goes for me on any of these guys in the NFL

with that I go back to lurking.. ... unless the Steelers sign Vick or something else happens worth commenting

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Lets look forward to who we have currently.

I think that's what most of us have basically been saying all along, R2sojr. We don't want Vick and we most certainly don't need him or his duffle bag full of drama.

well that's great!
exercise your power!

You hold the power

Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot what you post as long as it is somewhat respectful and your posts disagreeing with other members do not fall into that category. Most of 'em are rude, crass and terribly condescending, imho.

As far as your comments about my "power" go - gee - aint I just da shit because I'm a Mod on an internet BB? :rolleyes: Puhhhhlease - I'm way too mature to get off on that crap. I am asked to do a job and I do it. Plain and simple. I asked you to be civil and suggested that you adhere to my request simply because that is how we do things around here. If you want respect, you've got to give it.

P.S. Sure you could register under another SN - we have dearly departed members who TRY to do that on a pretty regular basis. Notice I said TRY. :chuckle:

Preacher
07-31-2009, 06:41 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I am not selling dude, I am selling the fact that Vick deserves a second chance based on how others in similar and far more extreme situations have been treated

that's all really

But not on this team... as there simply is no place for him. As I said early on in a similar thread...

The Steelers are a great fit for Vick... But Vick is not a good fit for the Steelers.

We have no need for him, nor probably any desire for him.

harts
07-31-2009, 06:50 PM
P.S. Sure you could register under another SN - we have dearly departed members who TRY to do that on a pretty regular basis. Notice I said TRY. :chuckle:

Just one last one I promise

FYI I am a web developer by trade ..... I have made websites with these types of messageboards and I am very comfortable using them............

most likely you guys ban based on IP address....I can spoof my IP address to anything I want and register accordingly .. it's not hard....

ok back to lurking
Go Steelers!

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
most likely you guys ban based on IP address....I can spoof my IP address to anything I want and register accordingly .. it's not hard....

ok back to lurking
Go Steelers!

Well - that's one way we give people the heave ho who were previously banned, but there are other methods that we use that have been very successful.

No one is saying you should "lurk". You can disagree with whoever all you want, as long as you are respectful in doing so. :drink:

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
ok back to lurking

Good riddance.

Fullback&Punter
07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Man, I hope Vick signs with us! I'd love every second of every sports call in show for a month!

lilyoder6
07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
idk what vick will do...

the orlando team in the ufl is willing to give vick 1.5 million to play for them..

1.5 would help him start off and what not and still be able to sign with a team during mid-season if something bad happens

devilsdancefloor
07-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Just one last one I promise

FYI I am a web developer by trade ..... I have made websites with these types of messageboards and I am very comfortable using them............

ok back to lurking
Go Steelers!

:yawn: is this tim lumber?

http://news.steelers.com/article/106494/

Friday was reporting day for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and after some dancing around with Coach Mike Tomlin in his initial news conference during this 2009 training camp, the topic finally got around to the guy who never was here.

The Michael Vick to the Steelers rumors began about a week ago with ESPN’s Chris Mortensen identifying the Steelers as a good spot for the former Falcons quarterback, and things reached a crescendo on Friday when a caller to a local talk show identified himself as a cab driver who said he had picked Vick up at Pittsburgh International Airport and driven him to the Steelers practice facility.

Tomlin chuckled when the topic finally was broached.

“I don’t know whether he was in Pittsburgh or not,” said Tomlin, “but I’m in Latrobe and everybody else in our organization is as well.”

Then Tomlin added, “Here’s the thing: I’m not going to address directly any potential free agents. That would be fruitless. The list could go on and on, be endless. We’ll be prudent and do our due diligence in exploring people who could potentially help us win – guys who can throw, run, catch, block and tackle on a professional level. That’s what we do.”

But, Tomlin was asked, what of the fact that he and Vick both grew up in the same area in Virginia, and that Tony Dungy, who has taken on an advisory role for Vick, has such a solid relationship with the Steelers organization and with Tomlin?

“(Connecting the dots), that’s relevant for conversation,” said Tomlin, “but I’m just focused on the Steelers who are here and what we have going on, and not interested in discussing potential free agents.”

The Steelers who are at Saint Vincent College for this camp arrived in good shape and ready for what Tomlin refers to as team-building for 2009. The requirements for the day included the running test, which Tomlin considers part of the procedure for reporting to camp.

“I was very pleased, quite frankly, with the running test,” said Tomlin. “Everybody was above the line.”

Last year, Casey Hampton was unable to complete the running test and Tomlin responded by putting him on the physically unable to perform list until he got himself into better physical condition. There were no such issues this year, with Hampton or with anyone else.

“I was curious,” said Tomlin. “You’re always curious about the big men, and Casey’s probably the biggest of the big men. It starts inside and up front, and by the nature of his position, that’s where he is. But he did a nice job, as did a lot of the other guys.”

Having dealt with the Vick rumors and Hampton’s physical condition, Tomlin also was asked whether he had any concerns about Ben Roethlisberger’s mind-set in light of the civil suit filed against him by Andrea McNulty.

“I have no question about Ben’s mind-set, or anybody else’s mind-set for that matter,” said Tomlin. “That civil case is just that – it’s civil. We’ll assume he’s going to handle that business in his personal life, and we’re going to proceed professionally. The standard of expectation for Ben is the standard of expectation. I would imagine he’s not the only guy on our football team who has a civil proceeding of some kind going on in his life. We’re just going to focus on football.”

And the football part of this camp begins on Saturday with two practices, the second of which is scheduled to begin at 2:55 p.m. and will be open to the public.

anyway maybe you can hope on a raiders or pats site ...

Fullback&Punter
08-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Vegas puts Steelers and Patriots at 4-1 odds to sign Vick. Gamblers think it could happen. Not that it means much.

For all those people saying Steelers aren't even thinking about signing Vick, I have a question. A bunch of teams have come out and said "No way" to Vick. Steelers have not said that. In fact they just say no comment. I take that as a sign that the team is indeed thinking about it. Teams don't talk when they are working on a FA. I think a lot of people are afraid to admit that the Steelers are interested. If we aren't why not say so. Like a lot of the league.

jjbrasso
08-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Vegas puts Steelers and Patriots at 4-1 odds to sign Vick. Gamblers think it could happen. Not that it means much.

For all those people saying Steelers aren't even thinking about signing Vick, I have a question. A bunch of teams have come out and said "No way" to Vick. Steelers have not said that. In fact they just say no comment. I take that as a sign that the team is indeed thinking about it. Teams don't talk when they are working on a FA. I think a lot of people are afraid to admit that the Steelers are interested. If we aren't why not say so. Like a lot of the league.

When Tomlin was asked about it today, he avoided the question and would not confirm or deny the rumor.

Psyychoward86
08-01-2009, 12:11 AM

Define "a lot of teams." Because not THAT many teams have directly said that they're not interested. Ever thought the Steelers just dont give a crap what everyone thinks?

tony hipchest
08-01-2009, 12:16 AM
how the HELL did this thread get this long?

doesnt matter. vick will be a patriot within days, assuming no other team is willing to up the ante and help get him out of debt.

Psyychoward86
08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
And another thing: Why do all of these analysts think Vick is a good fit in Pittsburgh???

tony hipchest
08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
because pittsburgh is one of the FEW teams with the stability to handle such a media circus, and ensure success as opposed to a relapse.

when the mediots say this, they are talking more about structure as opposed to X's and O's.

Fullback&Punter
08-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Define "a lot of teams." Because not THAT many teams have directly said that they're not interested. Ever thought the Steelers just dont give a crap what everyone thinks?

My reference is Steve Czaben who has a national radio show that airs weekday mornings on 970 foxsports. He said this morning 21 teams are on record as saying no to Vick. As far as I know Pittsburgh ain't 1 of them. You know reporters will ask everyday until he signs so if your not at all interested why not say so. I can only GUESS that they must be interested. I know the Steelers don't care what I think but they also don't care what message board people think in general. Despite the fact people think no way no how. If the Steelers want him they'll go after him. My guess, they are interested.

KeiselPower99
08-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Tomlin being a Dungy protege might have thoughts about it but I hope management shoots it down.I dont want him anywhere near Pittsburgh

4xSBChamps
08-01-2009, 06:31 AM
And another thing: Why do all of these analysts think Vick is a good fit in Pittsburgh???

..... these 'analysts' (emphasis on 'ANAL') get paid to flap their gums, so the better story they can concoct, they more they yap

lilyoder6
08-01-2009, 09:04 AM
tomlin went the billishit way of answering the ? if the steelers were interested in him or not...

i think that it comes down since the rooney's have the past of not dealing with shit like this.. that it's tomlin who would like to give vick a 2nd chance or the rooney's have had a change of heart recently

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2009, 09:09 AM
.... half these people complaining about Vick have no problem going out and killing INNOCENT deer and other animals to mount as trophies in their living rooms

That is an uninformed and simply stupid statement.

I have been deer hunting but I have never:

1) starved a deer to death
2) hung a deer by its neck with a nylon rope nailed to a 2X4 between two trees
3) drowned a deer by putting its head in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
4) forced a deer into a ring to be slowly mauled to death.

In regards to killing deer...It might surprise you to find out that someone killed a cow for your BigMac...But dont worry, that will be our secret.:doh:

And as for implying that those who dont like Vick are somehow devaluing human life...:bs:

it is a weak arguement to somehow imply that because people have ethics towards animals that they dont have ethics towards humans. Thats lame and weak. Why can't they have ethics towards both? Because it doesnt fit your method of debate? Or because your own facts are so weak that you are lamely trying to elevate yourself above others by throwing in an unproven fact about others ethics?

Very sad.

Fullback&Punter
08-01-2009, 09:30 AM
..... these 'analysts' (emphasis on 'ANAL') get paid to flap their gums, so the better story they can concoct, they more they yap

I do pretty much agree with this. Chris Mortenson I think likes to throw *%$# against the wall to see how much of it will stick. In this case I think there are a lot of things in Vick's favor.

1) Tomlin - has publicly said He think's Vick should get a 2nd chance. And the both come from same area in VA.

2) Dan Rooney - Despite people thinking Dan would outright say no I disagree. Dan is one of Roger Goodell's biggest supporters. And Roger seems intent on Vick getting a 2nd shot.

3) Dungy - Tomlin loves him. I am assuming the Rooney's like him. Dungy vouching for Vick could be huge.

4) Steelers - If they signed Vick they could handle the media circus. They simply wouldnt care what people thought.

5) Fans - despite the fact 80% of fans look like they hate this idea. What do you think would happen if you mixed most Steeler fans and PETA protesters at Heinz?

1,2, and 3 make me think this could really happen