PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna stop us?

Fire Haley
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Our division? B'more? Pats? Chargers?

I don't think so. Read em and weep pretenders.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/Sixburgh1.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I seriously think we will repeat.

IMHO, our defense got better with Timmons and Gay taking over starting roles in the defense.

On offense, we lost Nate Washington...an inconsistent third receiver. No biggie.

We gain Rashard Mendenhall who I think will have a breakout season.

In the division?

Baltimore is in for a shock. Mason looks like he is gone, Bennett also retired. Who is Flacco going to throw to? They have a three headed running attack, but they won't be able to run on Pittsburgh.

The Bengals? Their defense could be pretty decent, or it could be a typical Bengals defense, just plain bad. The offense has potential, IF Palmer can stay healthy and Ochocinco plays like the old Chad Johnson. I don't expect much out of running back Cedric Benson, he isn't speedy and he doesn't like contact.

The Browns? Hahahahahahahahahaha! Yeah, right.

The Patriots? Tom Brady has only thrown more than 28 touchdowns once in his career, in 2007 when he threw 50. Palmer hasn't been back to his old self since his knee injury, and I do not expect Brady to throw 50 touchdowns this year.

GodofGridiron
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
We have to have some luck and avoid injuries. Injuries will kill a championship run instantly. Just look at what happened in NE. Brady, Adalius, Maroney, Harrison all on IR with Welker missing some time.

We could be two injuries at key positions from missing the playoffs......even in this division.

Ive learned not to take anything for granted in this league anymore.

Hotrodder07
07-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I think we're capable of beating any team in the league. We had the #1 defense last year, and I honestly believe that it got better. If Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed contribute, and the O-line gets even a little bit better, we will have a pretty darn good offense. Can't wait for the season to start!

BlockMonsta
07-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I have to agree that we have a strong chance at repeating. I do not think the Ravens will do anywhere near as good as this past season. They lost Rex Ryan, Jim Lehonard and Bart...wow his name slips me right now...Anyways, who knows how Brady is going to be, he played what 12-15 snaps last season? They still have a weak 2ndary (I think). I dont know if Gay is going to be an improvment over B-Mac, well see. I just remember him giving up a big fouth down to Amani Toomer. LT, I see being a big improvement over Foote. But I also remember him getting run over at the goal line, not saying it wouldn't have happend to anyone else but it stands out. Deep at reciver, I think Mike Wallace is going to play a big part in ST. I really hope Sweed is worth that second round pick, Mendenhall I hope he hangs on to the ball! We should be good to go, not to much longer until preseason.

Galax Steeler
07-29-2009, 04:43 AM
I have to agree that we have a strong chance at repeating. I do not think the Ravens will do anywhere near as good as this past season. They lost Rex Ryan, Jim Lehonard and Bart...wow his name slips me right now...Anyways, who knows how Brady is going to be, he played what 12-15 snaps last season? They still have a weak 2ndary (I think). I dont know if Gay is going to be an improvment over B-Mac, well see. I just remember him giving up a big fouth down to Amani Toomer. LT, I see being a big improvement over Foote. But I also remember him getting run over at the goal line, not saying it wouldn't have happend to anyone else but it stands out. Deep at reciver, I think Mike Wallace is going to play a big part in ST. I really hope Sweed is worth that second round pick, Mendenhall I hope he hangs on to the ball! We should be good to go, not to much longer until preseason.

I hope you are right about Mendenhall hanging on to the Ball. He seemed to be doing better before he got hurt and hopefully he will improve this year.

ARKIESTEEL
07-29-2009, 08:37 AM
There is a little girl out in Nevada trying her best too

steelersfanman92
07-29-2009, 08:55 AM
The only thing that can stop the Steelers are themselves. As long as they avoid playing stupid and think that they are just going to roll over every team on their way to the Super Bowl they should repeat. The talent is definetly there they just can't be contenet with winning last year.

BlastFurnace
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM
We have to have some luck and avoid injuries. Injuries will kill a championship run instantly. Just look at what happened in NE. Brady, Adalius, Maroney, Harrison all on IR with Welker missing some time.

We could be two injuries at key positions from missing the playoffs......even in this division.

My thoughts exactly. We have a great team that will need to play hard every single week, be fortunate not to have injuries, and get some breaks along the way in order to repeat.

Even last year could have been very different if we didn't have late drives to win against Jacksonville, Dallas, Baltimore x2, and San Diego.

Great seasons can go bad with a few bad bounces or breaks. Bad Seasons can go great with the same.

Indo
07-29-2009, 09:27 AM
On any given Sunday....

As long as Tomlin can keep the team COMPLETELY focused and not resting on the Laurels of last year's success they will have a great chance

The Lakelander
07-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Maroney? Are you kidding me? And Harrison peaked 6 years ago. Cassel played well enough for them to win 11 games.

Seriously friend ... the Steelers lost Marvel Smith, Kendell Simmons, Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Heath Miller, Rashard Mendenhall, and Bryant McFadden at least briefly to injuries last year ... and we won the Super Bowl.

Injuries are part of the game. Great teams overcome them.

I remember losing Woodson to a Game 1 freak knee injury and still going to the dance. Woodson was considered irreplaceable. Carnell Lake played out of position all season long and played admirably. :tt:

BlastFurnace
07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Maroney? Are you kidding me? And Harrison peaked 6 years ago. Cassel played well enough for them to win 11 games.

Seriously friend ... the Steelers lost Marvel Smith, Kendell Simmons, Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Heath Miller, Rashard Mendenhall, and Bryant McFadden at least briefly to injuries last year ... and we won the Super Bowl.

Injuries are part of the game. Great teams overcome them.

I remember losing Woodson to a Game 1 freak knee injury and still going to the dance. Woodson was considered irreplaceable. Carnell Lake played out of position all season long and played admirably. :tt:

Have Ben miss the entire season like Brady did and this team doesn't win 8 games last year. I don't want to hear about Leftwich either. If he was such a great starter, he wouldn't have been on 4 teams in the past 18 months.

Rod Woodson's loss was overcome in 1995 by another All Pro player that could make the switch, but had we lost Neil O'Donnell for that entire season, that team would not have been lead to the Super Bowl with Mike Tomczak leading them.

Injuries can de-rail a team very easily in this league.

By the way, I am still waiting for your stats or proof that Vick is a better QB than Brady and that Brady is overrated.

stlrtruck
07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
The only thing that can stop the Steelers are themselves. As long as they avoid playing stupid and think that they are just going to roll over every team on their way to the Super Bowl they should repeat. The talent is definetly there they just can't be contenet with winning last year.

:iagree:

mulldog24
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
In Tomlin's words "we have to stay driven" if we do and avoid the injury bug we sill be fine.

The Lakelander
07-29-2009, 10:55 AM
By the way, I am still waiting for your stats or proof that Vick is a better QB than Brady and that Brady is overrated.

Blast ... Brady is over-rated .... PERIOD!

Vick is way more "talented" than Brady.

Take the time to read this. Take the time to absorb it.

The initial telling stat is Yards Per Completion (but with further understanding). This stat removes the reward that the Yards Per Attempt stat awards QB's who play in hyper-efficient pass offenses (which is what Brady plays in). Therefore QB's who actually throw the ball downfield but with lower completion success get more of a fair shake with this stat versus Yards Per Attempt, which benefits QB's who dink-dank-and dunk the football (like Brady does).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_cmp_career.htm

This is lifetime. Brady ranks 183rd out of 219 in Yards Per Completion Lifetime. That's the 5th quintile in NFL history ... the very bottom of the barrel. You will note that the bulk of today's active QB's are right down there as well ... the modern NFL has turned into an efficiency game. And very few of today's QB's own any "greatness" as passers.

Vick ranks 109th ... right there with Warren Moon, Dan Marino, Steve Young and Ken Anderson, some of the greatest arms in the modern era of NFL football. Vick is not an accurate passer, but he is dangerous all the same. His skill set changes the way he is coached ... therefore he would never become a dink-dank-dunk passer like Brady (who has no other alternative).

Brady is a system QB!

But this (Yards Per Completion) stat alone also needs to be further refined. Because this stat doesn't represent the share of those Yards Per Completion that are derived from Yards After the Catch (YAC Yards). One source told me in another forum last week that in 2007 (Brady's huge stat year) the Patriots derived 48% of their completion yardage from YAC yards. The NFL average that year was 43%. It would seem that the Patriots have been at or near the top of the NFL in YAC yards for Brady's career.

Look at Welkers Yards Per Catch (10.5) in 2008 and 2007 ... that number is way low and is not reflective of his incredible YAC yards.

I'm trying to find a reliable stat resource that shows the percentage of completion yards derived from YAC (Yards After the Catch). Then it becomes even more telling for Brady (who has Wes Welker catching 4 yard passes and turning them into 10 yard gains virtually ever catch) that he is a prolific dink-dank-dunk passer playing in a dink-dank-dunk offense and nothing more.

Throw in the reality that Brady played on a cheating team.

Throw in the reality that in those Super Bowl years Brady needed the leg of Adam Vinatieri to win those games. He dinked it all the way down to field goal range by golly.

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the New York Giants in the final minute in 2007. He lofted three bombs that fell to the turf.

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the Denver Broncos in the playoffs in 2005. He threw critical picks when he had to throw it down field.

You see Blast ... Brady is a dink-dank-dunk pocket passer. He sucks out of the pocket. His success has been derived from his necessity of getting rid of the ball quickly, before the pass rush can get to him.

His linemen don't have to hold their blocks very long ... so they too are over-rated.

He gets 100% of his credit because of 3 Lombardi's, which were earned through cheating. The patriots defense knew the plays and created an incredible amount of timely turnovers that benefited Brady in terms of field position. Most of his "drives" were on a short field and many of them were culminated with an Adam Vinatieri field goal.

He plays in an offensive scheme that was designed to quickly get the ball into the hands of a receiver who in turn runs with the football after the catch. Brady throws an occasional deep pass to keep the safeties honest.

His impressive stat year came when Randy Moss came aboard ... the same Randy Moss who is considered the best deep threat in NFL history. Did Brady's Yards Per Completion jump? You betcha ... he went from 22nd to 4th.

Matt Cassel, he of NO starting experience either in college or the NFL, stepped right into that offense and shined last year.

simonsfs30
07-29-2009, 11:07 AM
GOTTA AGREE WITH THAT

Hotrodder07
07-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Great post, Lakelander. Absolutely awesome. It's hard to argue with that.

Justin Otstott
07-29-2009, 12:39 PM

The initial telling stat is Yards Per Completion (but with further understanding). This stat removes the reward that the Yards Per Attempt stat awards QB's who play in hyper-efficient pass offenses (which is what Brady plays in). Therefore QB's who actually throw the ball downfield but with lower completion success get more of a fair shake with this stat versus Yards Per Attempt, which benefits QB's who dink-dank-and dunk the football (like Brady does).

This is lifetime. Brady ranks 183rd out of 219 in Yards Per Completion Lifetime. That's the 5th quintile in NFL history ... the very bottom of the barrel. You will note that the bulk of today's active QB's are right down there as well ... the modern NFL has turned into an efficiency game. And very few of today's QB's own any "greatness" as passers.

Vick ranks 109th ... right there with Warren Moon, Dan Marino, Steve Young and Ken Anderson, some of the greatest arms in the modern era of NFL football. Vick is not an accurate passer, but he is dangerous all the same. His skill set changes the way he is coached ... therefore he would never become a dink-dank-dunk passer like Brady (who has no other alternative).

Brady is a system QB!

But this (Yards Per Completion) stat alone also needs to be further refined. Because this stat doesn't represent the share of those Yards Per Completion that are derived from Yards After the Catch (YAC Yards). One source told me in another forum last week that in 2007 (Brady's huge stat year) the Patriots derived 48% of their completion yardage from YAC yards. The NFL average that year was 43%. It would seem that the Patriots have been at or near the top of the NFL in YAC yards for Brady's career.

Look at Welkers Yards Per Catch (10.5) in 2008 and 2007 ... that number is way low and is not reflective of his incredible YAC yards.

I'm trying to find a reliable stat resource that shows the percentage of completion yards derived from YAC (Yards After the Catch). Then it becomes even more telling for Brady (who has Wes Welker catching 4 yard passes and turning them into 10 yard gains virtually ever catch) that he is a prolific dink-dank-dunk passer playing in a dink-dank-dunk offense and nothing more.

Throw in the reality that in those Super Bowl years Brady needed the leg of Adam Vinatieri to win those games. He dinked it all the way down to field goal range by golly.

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the New York Giants in the final minute in 2007. He lofted three bombs that fell to the turf.

Brady couldn't drive his team down the field to beat the Denver Broncos in the playoffs in 2005. He threw critical picks when he had to throw it down field.

You see Blast ... Brady is a dink-dank-dunk pocket passer. He sucks out of the pocket. His success has been derived from his necessity of getting rid of the ball quickly, before the pass rush can get to him.

His linemen don't have to hold their blocks very long ... so they too are over-rated.

He gets 100% of his credit because of 3 Lombardi's, which were earned through cheating. The patriots defense knew the plays and created an incredible amount of timely turnovers that benefited Brady in terms of field position. Most of his "drives" were on a short field and many of them were culminated with an Adam Vinatieri field goal.

He plays in an offensive scheme that was designed to quickly get the ball into the hands of a receiver who in turn runs with the football after the catch. Brady throws an occasional deep pass to keep the safeties honest.

His impressive stat year came when Randy Moss came aboard ... the same Randy Moss who is considered the best deep threat in NFL history. Did Brady's Yards Per Completion jump? You betcha ... he went from 22nd to 4th.

Matt Cassel, he of NO starting experience either in college or the NFL, stepped right into that offense and shined last year.

MAJOR PROPS TO YOU MAN! I will be printing this out for work haha. :applaudit:

MACH1
07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
On any given Sunday....

Bingo...

Don't count your chickens just yet.

We should have a good year, but I'm not overlooking any teams.

SteelCityMom
07-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, honestly, I feel that the only team that will be able to drag us down this year will be us. I know it seems we have kind of a cakewalk schedule (and I'm somewhat thankful of that), but we seemed to do better in the playoffs this past season because of the adversity we faced in the RS. I just hope this doesn't turn out like '07 where they had a very easy schedule, coasted through the end of the season and flopped in the playoffs. I hope Tomlin keeps them well in check throughout the season. That will be key.

SteelCityMom
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Also, thank you so much Lakelander, that was an excellent, well thought out post. I always knew something really stank about Brady and his "unimaginable greatness". I really appreciate you putting up the numbers to prove he is not the god many people make him out to be.

CanadianSteel
07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
One game at a time boys .... one game at a time

CanadianSteel
07-29-2009, 01:28 PM
One game at a time boys .... one game at a time and we should be fine....

HughC
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Agreed, nobody else has the talent to match the Steelers right now. Avoid distractions stay focused, deal with the inevitable injuries by being prepared and also avoid too many injuries to too many key players.

With the lack of WR in Baltimore and their free agent losses the Steelers should be in an excellent position to secure a first round playoff bye and perhaps home field throughout the playoffs. I know I'm looking way ahead but since I'm a fan and not a player I can do that. Anyways that extra week off to rest and prepare as well as playing at home can be turned in to a big advantage.

RunWillieRun
07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
There is a little girl out in Nevada trying her best too

You beat me to it!

BlastFurnace
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Brady is a system QB!

I have to give you props with this. Very well thought out and written.

I still don't agree with you and I doubt any team (even if you take away the baggage)...if given the choice between Vick or Brady...would choose Vick.

You can't fault a team for utilizing a system that teams can't stop. Actually, that is a sign of a team player to put aside personal #'s or preference for playcalling to work a system that is best for the team (Perhaps that would have kept Kordell as Slash...but that's another arguement). Brady does that and does the short game probably better than anyone in the game. Teams can't stop it, so why should the Patriots not use it.

From the link you posted, look at 190 and below and you will see names like Brett Favre, Steve McNair, Troy Aikman, and Eli Manning...all of which I would take before Vick. Aikman, can be argued, had a great deal of success thanks to Emmitt, but he also had great short outlets such as Emmitt out of the backfield, Novacek, and even Daryl Johnston from time to time, but he shouldn't be punished because the Cowboys utilized with a game plan that no-one could stop. Brady is the same way. The Patriots have a offensive game plan, from 2002 through 2007, that put up a lot of points and won them 3 Super Bowls. Had it not been for a defensive breakdown in 2006 and a fluke David Tyree play in 2007, they would have two more rings.

I know the Patriots cheated, but no-one really knows how much they benefited from it. We can all speculate and play the what if game, but the truth is, we don't know. Kordell wasn't able to carry a team if called to do so....in 2001 the entire league knew we ran a safe offense with him. They didn't need tape to tell them that Kordell would throw INT's if the game was put on his shoulders. Even Steeler fans knew that. In 2004, we had a dead armed rookie who made rookie mistakes, a HOF RB that fumbled on a 4th and 1 carry early in the game, and a Head Coach that was afraid to do anything but kick a FG at a crucial time of the game. How does any kind of cheating help that?

I hate the Patriots as much as anyone. I also believe that somehow, they benefited from something they had on us in 2001 and 2004, but they still had to execute. Ben still shortarmed that pass to Tuman that Harrison stepped in front of. Brady knew that Troy had a penchant for coming up from the Safety position and threw a perfect pass to Deion Branch that put them up 10-0. Had they not scouted that, perhaps that pass isn't perfectly thrown.

My point is, Brady executes the game plan he is presented with at a very high level. Vick never has.

Hate Brady or not, I have to believe that there are more on this board who don't deny that he is a great QB and that he far exceeds Vick. Not that it proves anything, but to me it's a no-brainer.

HughC
07-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Brady is a system QB!

While I have to give you major props for finding weapons for Steeler fans to blast Brady with, I can quickly find major flaws in your argument that you are sure to encounter.

First of all when I go that link it becomes obvious you chose to use the one statistic that Brady ranks lower in than any other (yards per catch). Then look at the names on that career listing for that category; do you really consider Arnie Heber, Ed Brown and Lamar McHan to be three of the top five QB in NFL history? Jay Schroeder was better than Terry Bradshaw? Football has changed dramatically in the NFL and one of those ways is the way the forward pass is used. It used to be that all passes were relatively long compared to today's passing game; that's why yards per catch were so high back then, and pass completions were so low.

Contrary to your opinion Yards per Attempt does make more sense because it balances high-percentage throws with the lower yardage that would be expected from that type of pass. And even better than that would be Adjusted Yards per Attempt, which adds in touchdowns while deducting for interceptions. Look at the career leaders in this category and the ranking makes a lot more sense as to who is and is not a good quarterback: Steve Young, Romo, Warner, Manning, Rivers, Montana, Ben, Brady. The most doubtful part of that ranking is Romo being so high on the list, but that's due in large part to having such a short career so far.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_adj_yds_per_att_career.htm

Regarding Vick being a good (or better) quarterback, I have to disagree. He has trouble reading defenses which results in poor decisions and though he has great arm strength, he is terribly innacurate. Great athlete, yes; great quarterback, no way.

As far as the Yards after Catch go, I'd say there is not enough evidence to signify that means anything in terms of meaning that less credit should go to the quarterback. For example if one QB delivers the ball right on the money to a receiver in stride, he's able to to continue for more yards after the catch than a receiver that had to dive to make the catch.

The Patriots did lose in 2005 and 2007 with Brady as QB (as well as 2002 and 2006 too.) Nobody wins every year; Steve Young and Joe Montana each lost seven playoff games, Peyton Manning has lost more playoff games than he won, and even Terry Bradshaw lost a few playoff games too. As far as Brady's Super Bowl against the Giants goes, just be thankful for Tyree's catch because otherwise the media would still be talking about what would have been another comeback victory for the Pats - but it would have been a Brady touchdown pass in the last two minutes rather than a field goal.

I do agree he sucks when forced out of the pocket. As does Peyton Manning. Again, what does that prove? Are Michael Vick and Jeff Garcia better quarterbacks than Brady and Manning because of their scrambling abilities?

I'm not sure why the drives ending in game winning field goals is such a bad thing; that is what the circumstances called for given the amount of time left to play and the score. Since the idea is to win the game rather than accumulate stats, getting the ball close enough to kick a field goal when the score was tied is the smart play; throwing it forty yards down the field is not. The Super Bowl against the Eagles there was no "game winning drive"; New England had that easily one in hand the whole time while McNabb was puking and Andy Reid was mis-managing the clock.

Does the media pay too much attention to Brady? In my opinion, yes. But that doesn't mean he can be dismissed as not being very good by finding the stat he ranks lowest in and declaring that to be the most telling stat available. If you're going to cherry pick stats like that you may as well say he's a lousy quarterback based on his rushing numbers.

mmalone
07-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Very True...

So, why week in and week out don't teams cover all the short routes and keep him honest.....

That drove me crazy in the 17-0 run......

Every team gives up the short pass stuff to them, to protect.. the run? long plays?

it is a system for sure...

brady will be really slow this year.... so we'll see how long he stays in the pocket. expect more of the same short stuff all year.

The Lakelander
07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Very True...

So, why week in and week out don't teams cover all the short routes and keep him honest.....

That drove me crazy in the 17-0 run......

It caught up to Welker last year. He got absolutely creamed twice. :thumbsup:

steelballs
07-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Tomlin gives me the confidence that they can repeat. This guys philosophy doesn't allow excuses to enter into the equation.
Last year showed that if a player or players go down with an injury, the team adjusts accordingly and moves forward.
How many times did you hear Tomlin mention versatiltiy amongst the players. Tackles being able to play guard, guards being able to play tackle and so on. Tomlin is constantly preparing this team to be interchangeable and it's already paid huge dividends.
Unlike Cowher, who had one foot out the door after SB XL, Tomlin is not going to let this team lose focus or let excuses enter into the repeat equation.

As far as "who's gonna stop us"...I don't see any of the aforementioned teams being a road block.
In the AFC North, the only possible team with a chance to do anything might be the Rats who will be lucky to win 9-10 games....their running attack will be pedestrian with McGahee, McLean or Rice. The passing game will be a real struggle with the retirement of Mason, right now their #1 receiver is Clayton...he wouldn't even make the squad in Pittsburgh. Defensively, they will take a step back with the losses of their DC, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard and a long in the tooth Lewis.
The Pats...I don't see a second coming if you know what I mean.
The Chargers....I don't feel as though their schizophrenic QB will be the same after his knee blowout and LT isn't the same player he used to be.

The Steelers have a realistic chance of repeating as long as Tomlin keeps them focused and hungry.....from what I've seen, this shouldn't be a stretch for him at all.

mmalone
07-31-2009, 12:25 PM
The Steelers have a realistic chance of repeating as long as Tomlin keeps them focused and hungry.....from what I've seen, this shouldn't be a stretch for him at all.

Our defense was #1 inspite of our punting game putting them in bad field position all year, so hopefully the punting will help the D more this year..

The offense #23 has a lot of talent and more this year.... So only the Arians factor can slow us down.... :blah::banging:

the offense should make it to the top 10 this year....