PDA

View Full Version : Refs trying to cheat and we still won!

Rush58
01-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Come on, everyone knew it was an interception and they gave the Colts another opportunity. I am just glad we got the win! GO STEELERS!

Eztarget
01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised you didn't see an official running with the goal posts on Vanderjacks kick!

Suitanim
01-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Awful call, and it was almost a ****ing commercial for the NFL pulling for the Colts. Fortunately one miracle (Bus Fumbling) was cancelled out by a missed FG attempt...

I.C. Lights
01-15-2006, 05:11 PM
I know Van der Jagt missed by a mile, but the Colts sort of set him up to fail... Anyone know if he's up for free agency any time soon? I have a feeling he might opt out of Indy with this, his press problems and his squibbles with manning.

wardsgirl86
01-15-2006, 05:15 PM
That was the biggest bullshit call Ive ever seen in my life.. As I said to my friends while watching the game, the refs compltely ass raped us. ;-) And we still came out on top.. I love showing everyone how great of a team we are

clevestinks
01-15-2006, 05:24 PM
This was the NFL`s playoff crew officiating? Friggin terrible!

SteelersFever
01-15-2006, 05:30 PM
I started getting a bad feeling after the referee didn't come back with a quick decision. I think he was taking offers through his headset and then signaling to the Colts bench to indicate if it was acceptable or he was worried about getting lynched by Colts fans after the game!

But, I NEVER thought it would be overturned. I started flippin' out. :mad: :pissed: :splat:

figg
01-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I started getting a bad feeling after the referee didn't come back with a quick decision. I think he was taking offers through his headset and then signaling to the Colts bench to indicate if it was acceptable or he was worried about getting lynched by Colts fans after the game!

But, I NEVER thought it would be overturned. I started flippin' out. :mad: :pissed: :splat:

No doubt. When that rat took that long I said he must be on the phone with the commish :rolleyes:

SteelerzGirl
01-15-2006, 05:45 PM
No doubt. When that rat took that long I said he must be on the phone with the commish :rolleyes:

:iagree:

Fig is so wise...(lol)!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Totally agree Mike.. the longer they look, the worse it got for me too. Couldnt have been a more clear cut interception but they just totally bouched that call.

100 bucks says we get a letter of apology from the league this week.

clevestinks
01-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Its pretty bad when everyone on all channels agrees that we got the shaft

jim brown
01-15-2006, 05:49 PM
three different plays interference in the 2 qtr. then steelers off sides and then the interception! worst refering i've seen in a pro game. what do you think we almost lost that game!!!!!!!

Prosdo
01-15-2006, 05:51 PM
The refs in this game were absolutely horrible.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-15-2006, 06:29 PM
The refs sucked. The NFL should be embrassed by that officiating display.

DIESELMAN
01-15-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm surprised you didn't see an official running with the goal posts on Vanderjacks kick!

No Doubt..........LMAO!!!

LambertIsGod58
01-15-2006, 06:39 PM
The worst part about it was that it was ruled an INT on the field....No way there was enough to overturn. I think a formal complaint needs to be filed with the league.

Brady12
01-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Why complain, Pittsburgh won. And it won't do anything anyways. I geuss we'll see what the head of officiating has to say Wednesday on NFL Total Access, because surely Rich will ask him about the play.

Ambridge
01-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Whatever Ref overturned the Interception should be removed from officiating in playoff games........that and he should get some sort of reprimand from Mike Pereira-Head of NFL Officials.

Prosdo
01-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Very true Brady. I am definitely tuning in to see what he thinks.

CASTEEL
01-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Whatever Ref overturned the Interception should be removed from officiating in playoff games........that and he should get some sort of reprimand from Mike Pereira-Head of NFL Officials.

Removed for good in my opinion!

You don't botch a call like that in a game like that... that was unheard of.

Oh, and btw..... more props to Boomer after saying it woul dhave been highway robbery if the Steelers had lost! He keeps surprising me... :salute:

Koopa
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
yeah these refs will probably be fined and won't be allowed to officiate another playoff game again. i read awhile back that is what happens to refs when they are clearly in the wrong

TXSTEELER
01-15-2006, 07:23 PM
He reminded me kinda of the ref during the "Imaculate Reception" he knew he wouldn't get out of the stadium alive if he didn't say Tatum touched the ball before Harris hauled it in. I think the same thought was going through his head this time. Got to give Peyton one more shot!!!

Rush58
01-15-2006, 07:49 PM

Figg, what made it more an insult is how they tried to make it seem like a great comeback when Manning threw the touchdown pass. :rolleyes:

fergusonat
01-15-2006, 07:57 PM
^That's what was so frustrating...the announcers instantly jumped back on the Indy bandwagon after that call. Suddenly the Colts "deserved" to win the game because they were a team of "destiny." The refs were the only reason the Colts were even remotely in that game. We owned them, plain and simple.

hmmmmmmmm
01-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Lol dont forget the one they didnt call when the Steeler player jumped offsides....that let yall run at least 3 or 4 minutes off the clock. Then dont forget the one right after that where Bettis pushed Ben for the first down.

I dont really know the rule on the INT so that probably was a bad call.

(you have to have both knees up to make an athletic move? Cause one knee was still on the ground and thats what somenoe told me so I dont know)

rgleason
01-16-2006, 01:13 AM
The Off-Sides - The Fourth and Inches only came after a really bad spot that should have been a first down. As for the flinch, it was subtle, and no way Ref would be able to catch that in real time. People need to remember watching something in replay, slow-mo is a lot different than real time. Additionally, what was baffling is the Refs then just calling the play dead and not throwing the flag. Look, either you call us false start or them off-sides, cant call it a mulligan. As for Big Ben getting pushed, we already had this argument with Leinart-Bush, you're making a strained argument at best. Indy fans got a legit argument b/c they did call a subtle false start earlier, but a playoff game without nitpicking of reffing is unheard of and tired.

As for the INT call, the general tenor seems to be that there is some kind of conspiracy, and that these refs are going to be fired, and all kinds of stuff. I'm going to presume the REFs know more about the rules than I do (at least I hope so) and that there is some kind of complicated explanation as to why it isnt interception. The NFL rules are not exactly the most clear or as simple as we would like to believe. It seems like bullshit cause it seems if he decided to just lay there, it would be an Interception, on top of the fact that it was ruled an INT on the field and they woul need some pretty heavy proof on review to reverse. Apology? Keep dreaming, no way you're getting one. This play goes down right next to the Tuck Rule play in history.

SteelerFanInCA
01-16-2006, 01:16 AM
LOL... Talk about home cooking. I don't know what's worse... bad refs or bad kickers?

hmmmmmmmm
01-16-2006, 01:59 AM
The Off-Sides - The Fourth and Inches only came after a really bad spot that should have been a first down. As for the flinch, it was subtle, and no way Ref would be able to catch that in real time. People need to remember watching something in replay, slow-mo is a lot different than real time. Additionally, what was baffling is the Refs then just calling the play dead and not throwing the flag. Look, either you call us false start or them off-sides, cant call it a mulligan. As for Big Ben getting pushed, we already had this argument with Leinart-Bush, you're making a strained argument at best. Indy fans got a legit argument b/c they did call a subtle false start earlier, but a playoff game without nitpicking of reffing is unheard of and tired.

As for the INT call, the general tenor seems to be that there is some kind of conspiracy, and that these refs are going to be fired, and all kinds of stuff. I'm going to presume the REFs know more about the rules than I do (at least I hope so) and that there is some kind of complicated explanation as to why it isnt interception. The NFL rules are not exactly the most clear or as simple as we would like to believe. It seems like bullshit cause it seems if he decided to just lay there, it would be an Interception, on top of the fact that it was ruled an INT on the field and they woul need some pretty heavy proof on review to reverse. Apology? Keep dreaming, no way you're getting one. This play goes down right next to the Tuck Rule play in history.

Youre tryin to explain something that needs no explanation. No matter how much he moved....he moved thats all that matters.....and by the refs not seeing it or being able to see it means they missed a call (damn near every Colt player on the field saw it though). Just because of an argument anyone had about the "Bush push" does not make it legal......youre not supposed to do it...thats pretty much the end of the story.

If there is a rule (which I heard on ESPN there was...maybe I heard wrong though) about that play then the ref made the right call all the way. Its a stupid rule like the tuck rule but its still a rule.

mthrndr42
01-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Here's my question on the interception, where was the explaination? I know the refs don't have to explain their decisions, but the best refs will come out on the field and give a 2 sentence learning session for the fans. If the head ref had come out and said "After review of the play, there is indisputable proof the receiver did not have control of the ball, his knee wasn't down, etc etc" (just examples!) and then made the incomplete pass call, then at least I can understand their position. But no, the ref just came out and said "after review, it's an incomplete pass."

Clearcut example of the refs trying to affect the outcome of the game. Why don't they take refs from other teams that aren't in the playoffs? There are only 11 playoff games...and there are 20 teams that didn't make the playoffs. Doesn't this just make sense, or am I just totally wrong?

rgleason
01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Not arguing that it wasnt a false start or a push, just being realistic and saying that if you expect the refs to catch every single penalty you're missing it. You think that was the only flase start the refs missed for Pittsburgh, for Indy? Plus, I cant remember anyone ever being flagged for a push.

Suitanim
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Who would think that a 5 yard false start penalty would in any way "make up for" a 50 yard pass interference non-call? Or even worse, an interception being overturned?

Livinginthe past
01-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Here's my question on the interception, where was the explaination? I know the refs don't have to explain their decisions, but the best refs will come out on the field and give a 2 sentence learning session for the fans. If the head ref had come out and said "After review of the play, there is indisputable proof the receiver did not have control of the ball, his knee wasn't down, etc etc" (just examples!) and then made the incomplete pass call, then at least I can understand their position. But no, the ref just came out and said "after review, it's an incomplete pass."

Clearcut example of the refs trying to affect the outcome of the game. Why don't they take refs from other teams that aren't in the playoffs? There are only 11 playoff games...and there are 20 teams that didn't make the playoffs. Doesn't this just make sense, or am I just totally wrong?

There was an explanation given by the ref at the time - something along the lines of "The defender caught the ball, had it in possession but had his knee down at the time" - it sounded like nonsense at the time and the guys in the booth were totally dumbfounded.

I have to think that this 'incontravertible' evidence to change a call might aswell be re-written.

Alot of calls are made on the basis of a refs opinion on what incontravertible means - they should just change the call if they feel it was more than likely they were wrong in the first place.

NM

tony hipchest
01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
the rules have made it much tougher for a catch to be a catch. theres supposed to be a "football move" made. in other words troy couldve rolled for 10 yards, done a break dancing back spin while holding on to the ball for 20 seconds, but if he then gets up, with 1 knee on the ground and drops the ball it is then an incompletion.

TexaSteeler
01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9168866

NFL's response to the pick being overturned.