PDA

View Full Version : Urbik lends a hand locally before joining Steeler teammates

mesaSteeler
07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Published July 29 2009
http://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/event/article/id/35206/

Urbik lends a hand locally before joining Steeler teammates

By: Bob Burrows, Hudson Star-Observer

Former Hudson High School and University of Wisconsin Badger Kraig Urbik leaves this week for his first NFL summer training camp in Latrobe, Pa.

But before leaving, he helped the Hudson High School coaching staff and players instruct a group of youth in grades 4-8 last week at Hudsons eighth annual ABC Football Camp at the high schools south field.

Im close with coaches (Neil) Hatfield, (Ryan) Jamison and (Adam) Kowles, and they asked me so I said Id be happy to stop by and help out, Urbik said. The coaches are doing most of the work. Im just helping out where I can.

Urbik attended every session of the camp, working with fourth- through sixth-graders in the morning and seventh- and eighth-graders in the afternoon. A total of 237 campers attended the four-day camp last Monday through Thursday.

Its great to have him here, Raider head coach Kowles said. The kids are very excited.

Urbik, an all-state lineman at Hudson and All-American at Wisconsin, was selected by the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the third round of the NFL draft in April. He said he was excited when he got the call.

It was pretty crazy, he said. I didnt really interview or talk to the team. I was sitting in my basement with my family and friends watching the draft and the phone rang and the number that came up was a Pennsylvania number. I was excited. Its a great organization to go to.

Urbik was the 79th overall selection in the draft and signed a three-year deal with the Steelers earlier this month. He played both right guard and right tackle at Wisconsin, but according to reports in the Pittsburgh media is expected to compete at right guard with the Steelers along with starter Darnell Stapleton and backup Trai Essex.

Urbik said hes just focusing on doing his best when the Steelers open camp Friday.

Im not really looking at whether Ill be a starter or a backup, he said. Im just looking forward to going to camp and working as hard as I can and leaving no regrets. Whatever happens then, Ill be happy with the outcome.

Ironically, Urbik said he never attended a football camp like the one in Hudson when he was a youth.

When I was this age I lived on the south side of Chicago and played a lot of baseball and basketball, the 6-foot-5, 328 pounder said, adding he moved to Hudson when he was in the sixth grade. I didnt play football until I was in the eighth grade.

Urbik will attend Steelers training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe through Aug. 21. His team will play its first preseason game Thursday, Aug. 13, at home against the Arizona Cardinals in a game that will be televised nationally on ESPN.

The Steelers will play both the Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers in Pittsburgh during the regular season. They host the Vikings Sunday, Oct. 25, and the Packers Sunday, Dec. 20.

(Urbik is going to fit right in. - mesa)

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I like the kid and hope he replaces Stapleton at some point on the O line this season. Might not happen for opening day........but you never know.

Not a sexy pick, but one of the safest and most needed Steeler selections.

JackHammer
07-30-2009, 02:43 AM
6'5" 328

Say it out loud. It just sounds soooooo good. He has all the potential to be a force on the o-line.

Aussie_steeler
07-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Not a sexy pick, but one of the safest and most needed Steeler selections.

I like to read the stories that highlight the good character of an individual.To me Urbik reads that way initially.

I agree with Gonz 100% that this was both a safe and needed pick.

Galax Steeler
07-30-2009, 04:56 AM
He sounds like a steeler type guy helping out where he can. Way to go Urbik.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Say it out loud. It just sounds soooooo good. He has all the potential to be a force on the o-line.

Wait until you find out that he plays with a "nasty streak". :tt02:

He is gonna get treated like a rookie and act like one....but he battles and finishes blocks with a certain anger that fans will love.