PDA

View Full Version : Miller signs 6 year extension

jpa375
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/106462/

X-Terminator
07-29-2009, 07:47 PM
And people were worried that it wouldn't get done.

Awesome, awesome news! I wonder what the financial terms were?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-29-2009, 07:48 PM
This is such good news.....I am so happy

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Nicely done Steelers FO. I wonder if a deal for Reed is coming.

Vincent
07-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Knew iit would happen. Pleasantly surprised at the speed with which the FO did this. Kudos!!!!!!!!!! Well done, Heath!!!!!!!!

steelerchad
07-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Heath Miller locked up until 2014 with a new 6 year deal.

I thought this wouldn't happen this soon, if at all. I was worried he may be a cap casualty in 2011 since he is under used with the Steelers as a receiveing TE. I also thought he may want to test free agency to see if he could find a team where he could have more of an impact statistically. Staying with the Steelers shows both sides are happy. Two rings in the last 4 years helps.

T&B fan
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
good job and hope he got a good deal

Hotrodder07
07-29-2009, 08:01 PM
That's awesome! Great news right before training camp gets underway. Good job Steelers. He is such a big part of our offense. I'm so happy. :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
07-29-2009, 08:04 PM
that is some great news... i think the FO needs a cookie.. they have been super busy this offseason

The Definiti0n
07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
This is how you build a dynasty. You draft well and resign core players @ market value

:tt::tt::tt::tt:

mesaSteeler
07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
that is some great news... i think the FO needs a cookie.. they have been super busy this offseason

Needs a cookie? Let's throw them a party! Next year looks a whole lot better.

"
If, as is widely being reported, the NFL and its players union to not come to an agreement on a labor extension in the upcoming months, the 2010 season will be an uncapped year. In that event, players cannot become unrestricted free agents until they have completed six NFL seasons.

Even though his rookie contract was set to expire, Miller only would have qualified to be a restricted free agent at the end of the 2009 season, which means the Steelers essentially could have prevented him from hitting the open market with a high tender offer."

This is why the Steelers earn the loyalty of their players. They reward great performance. The Steelers did not have to do this.

Preacher
07-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Ok.... whose left?

Big Snack,

Willie P.

Clark

Right? Anyone else? I think those three are held off until next year. They will weigh each performance and see who they sign. I originally thought Willie P. would be the odd man out. But if Big Snack comes in severely overweight again, he may be the odd man out.

JackHammer
07-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Ok.... whose left?

Big Snack,

Willie P.

Clark

Right? Anyone else? I think those three are held off until next year. They will weigh each performance and see who they sign. I originally thought Willie P. would be the odd man out. But if Big Snack comes in severely overweight again, he may be the odd man out.

Jeff Reed

Hotrodder07
07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Jeff Reed

Jeff Reed is a priority for sure. He is a great kicker. We need to get him signed.

steel striker
07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
That is good news and, I hope he is a steeler for life.

TommyG
07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Good deal....no doubt when Ben starts running around I always look for Miller....He is such a bit part of the team.

Dodt
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
sweet.

NJarhead
07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Bu, bu, bu PFW...

Wasn't it them who said he'd be a cap casualty next year? :chuckle:

Great news. :tt03:

tony hipchest
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Bu, bu, bu PFW...

Wasn't it them who said he'd be a cap casualty next year? :chuckle:

Great news. :tt03:actually they said he would be a cap casualty in the next six weeks.

TommyG
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4365087

Deal reported to be $35.5 million to include a $12.5 million signing bonus. A bargain in my book.

GutterflowerSteel
07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
That's the best football news I've heard all week :tt02: It's a relief to know that Heath will remain a Steeler :helmet:

NJarhead
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
actually they said he would be a cap casualty in the next six weeks.

SIX WEEKS???? How the hell did they come up with that??
Actually, nevermind Tone. We knew it was bull then, and now it's official bull. I don't need to know another thing about it. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
07-29-2009, 09:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4365087

Deal reported to be $35.5 million to include a $12.5 million signing bonus. A bargain in my book.wow. a very fair deal for heath. extremely fair.

this is what is special about the steelers. they couldve easilly (and probably been better off financially in regards to the cap) let miller play out his final year and then franchise him for 2 years.

but they dont screw around with their players. they reward those who earn and deserve it.

between willie, hampton, and clark, i think 2 of the 3 are gone next year.

reed, woodley and holmes are next.

43Hitman
07-29-2009, 09:28 PM
wow. a very fair deal for heath. extremely fair.

this is what is special about the steelers. they couldve easilly (and probably been better off financially in regards to the cap) let miller play out his final year and then franchise him for 2 years.

but they dont screw around with their players. they reward those who earn and deserve it.

between willie, hampton, and clark, i think 2 of the 3 are gone next year.

We need to keep Clark imo.

jjbrasso
07-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Great news! Glad that they are keeping Heath around. He is a great example of a model Steeler; one who gives 100% all the time, gets the job done, and does it in a very humble manner. Congrats Heath and thank you FO.

stillers4me
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Great news, indeed! I'm sure it was the one bright spot in Ben's week!

Fire Haley
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Awesomely awesome news.

And I mean that.

tony hipchest
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
We need to keep Clark imo.yeah, thats what i think.

willie may come cheaper than we think though. look at backs such as s. alexander who cant even get a sniff and fred taylor and e. james who pretty much have to resort to taking league minimum deals.

and no matter how fat or slow he gets, you cant diminish the importance of hampton.

however, how can anyone not consider ryan clark as a top 10 safety in the league? can the steelers afford to have 2 of the top 10 highest paid safeties on 1 team?

i think clark is looking at a huge payday (not that he is greedy- i think his play has and will justify it.)

stillers4me
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree, gotta keep Ryan Clark. He allows Troy to be Troy. There is a major difference when Ryan is off the field.

StainlessStill
07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
With Heath signed, the Steelers are MAD SCARY! We have our nucleus together, just waiting to explode. I think this Superbowl victory is JUST THE BEGINNING ladies and gentleman.

I think I just popped a boner.

Ryan Clark's next. (Not to pop a boner.. to get signed)

devilsdancefloor
07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
This is great news!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

HometownGal
07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Absofreakinlutely AWESOME! :applaudit::tt02::thumbsup:

stlrtruck
07-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Wasn't there a thread in here some where mentioning that Heath wasn't happy in Pittsburgh and he wanted out?

I guess not!

BlastFurnace
07-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Wasn't there a thread in here some where mentioning that Heath wasn't happy in Pittsburgh and he wanted out?

I guess not!

Yeah..where is that thread. Someone in that thread was really pushing the idea that Miller shouldn't be signed and was arguing with nearly everyone about it...was that Thumper?

I love this signing. I predict that either Clark or Reed is next.

This has been a great off season for keeping our guys.

mesaSteeler
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Steelers extend Miller's contract

July 29, 2009 10:12 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-238/Steelers-extend-Miller-s-contract.html
Pittsburgh's Heath Miller now has the third-highest contract at his position.

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Earlier this week, AFC North readers got the chance to play virtual general manager of the Pittsburgh Steelers and decide which member to extend from their heralded 2010 free-agent class.

Wednesday evening, Pittsburgh's front office provided its answer.

The Steelers signed tight end Heath Miller to a six-year contract extension worth $35.3 million, according to ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton. Miller, 26, is approaching his prime and could be in a Steelers uniform through the 2014 season.

It turned out to be a great deal for both parties. The Steelers took care of one of their top players in a timely fashion yet didn't break the bank. At the same time, Miller now has the third-highest total contract at his position, and fifth in terms of annual value.

With limited cap room, Miller's signing could mark the final move for the Steelers this season. Other 2010 free agents include safety Ryan Clark, tailback Willie Parker, nose tackle Casey Hampton and defensive end Brett Keisel, who could all be playing out the final year of their contracts.

NFL's Highest Paid Tight Ends
Player Team Contract
Kellen Winslow Jr. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6 years, $36.1 million
Dallas Clark Indianapolis Colts 6 years, $36 million
Heath Miller Pittsburgh Steelers 6 years, $35.3 million
Tony Gonzalez Atlanta Falcons 5 years, $31.25 million
Daniel Graham Denver Broncos 5 years, $30 million

Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, Heath Miller, Ryan Clark, Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, John Clayton

Gnutella
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
I think we'll sign Jeff Reed, give Casey Hampton a short contract extension, and let Ryan Clark go. We'll draft another NT to eventually replace Hampton, and Ryan Mundy can take the place of Clark.

WWIIOwheelz
07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
<--- VERY happy fan tonight

RoethlisBURGHer
07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YES!

HERE WE GO MILLER HERE WE GO!

Preacher
07-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I think we'll sign Jeff Reed, give Casey Hampton a short contract extension, and let Ryan Clark go. We'll draft another NT to eventually replace Hampton, and Ryan Mundy can take the place of Clark.

Anything can happen, but I don't think there is any way that I see Clark being dumped for Mundy, unless he gets too injured. I agree that Hampton may get a short extension. Reed gets signed, and Willie is probably out.

Then again, I have a feeling that the salary cap will go up next year a decent bit as part of a last minute deal, maybe in exchange for a longer season or even rookie salary caps.

If that happens, We just may bring em all back. Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants?

Psyychoward86
07-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Whew! We can all breathe a little easier now. I'm becoming less and less nervous with each of these extensions this offseason. Cheers to the FO :drink:

6 more years of yelling HEEEATH!!! :tt02:

Psyychoward86
07-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Do i dare say, the best Tightend in Steelers history?

:couch:

steelreserve
07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Now what was all this gloomy talk about losing all our good players to free agency next year again?

Ruffneck525
07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I am very happy to see they extended Miller. he's one of our best offensive players.. he does so much Block at point of attack as good as any tight end in the league,,, great hands and a solid runner after catch. He's a beast.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Pretty big signing. Best combination of blocker and receiver at the position and somewhat of a security blanket for Ben.

Part of a great core of guys signed long term.!!

tony hipchest
07-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Pretty big signing. Best combination of blocker and receiver at the position and somewhat of a security blanket for Ben.

Part of a great core of guys signed long term.!!troy, ben, and miller all got theirs.

if that dont serve notice (and inspiration) to 1st rounders such as holmes, timmons, mendenhall, or hood, i dont know what will.

play with the steelers... do your job exceptionally well... get paid (and win rings).

ward
harrison
starks
miller

lotta $$dough$$ flung around this off season. steelers are most likely headed towards the National Bank of Ben next season for a restructure. (ike taylor is about tapped out).

crcsnail
07-30-2009, 12:47 AM
great news .one of my favourite players love watching him block and what a soft pair of hands top marks to the steelers for getting it done :)

JackHammer
07-30-2009, 01:05 AM
He may not have the huge numbers that other top paid TE's have, but everyone has seen how important those hands are to this offense and defenses have to respect that. That's a huge luxury for our WR's. Without him it gets A LOT harder for them to get open. It's good to know that we'll have safeties bottled up for years to come! :tt02:

OneForTheToe
07-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Great news, indeed.

But does this mean we won't have enough money for Michael Vick?:stirthepot:

I agree with many here that Clark should be our next priority. We need to try and address the nose tackle spot next season in the draft. Which could lead to a one year tag for big snack.

BlockMonsta
07-30-2009, 01:12 AM
FWP, Clark, Reed, Hampton....If anyone I see it being 98, Chris Hoke I think fills in and does just as good if not better job then Hampton at times.

Miller:thumbsup: Hope we get him the ball more.

Galax Steeler
07-30-2009, 03:55 AM

With out a doubt these three has to be signed you have the best in the kicking team along withe the offense and deffense these are must signings for the team.

steelballs
07-30-2009, 05:56 AM
I couldn't be happier.
Miller exemplifies what a Steeler is all about...he goes about his job with not much fanfare, but is lethal in the clutch. The kind of guy who would rather hand the ball to the ref than bring attention to himself.....you know, old school.

STEELtownHAVOX
07-30-2009, 05:59 AM
well deserved Heath, congrats

WeegiesWarriors
07-30-2009, 06:07 AM

That's my point when I've been critical of signing Miller all summer. I don't value the TE as everybody else on here does. I'd rather have Holmes than Miller. Plus add Timmons to that list. He came in with Woodley and I suppose will be up for re-signing the same year. And I expect a breakout year from him so while his value is down now.. in two years it won't. Where's the money coming from? I see Hines retiring, but what other top paid guy will be?

I'm no capologist. If we can sign them all then great; but with the salary cap I was under the understanding we couldn't. I just hate the thoughts of not being able to sign Holmes, Woodley, and Timmons because we have Miller. I value those positions higher than the TE. As I've said before, top paid TE's don't win Super Bowls. Dallas Clark is the only one, but I wonder if he got his money after their Super Bowl.

Only time will tell.

IamTheSteelGod
07-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Yes made up this deal got done, it was a must in my eye's. Now lets start utilising him properly as for what he is, one of the best multi purpose TE's in the NFL. :tt:

X-Terminator
07-30-2009, 06:45 AM
That's my point when I've been critical of signing Miller all summer. I don't value the TE as everybody else on here does. I'd rather have Holmes than Miller. Plus add Timmons to that list. He came in with Woodley and I suppose will be up for re-signing the same year. And I expect a breakout year from him so while his value is down now.. in two years it won't. Where's the money coming from? I see Hines retiring, but what other top paid guy will be?

I'm no capologist. If we can sign them all then great; but with the salary cap I was under the understanding we couldn't. I just hate the thoughts of not being able to sign Holmes, Woodley, and Timmons because we have Miller. I value those positions higher than the TE. As I've said before, top paid TE's don't win Super Bowls. Dallas Clark is the only one, but I wonder if he got his money after their Super Bowl.

Only time will tell.

Yeah, because damn those Rooneys, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. :coffee:

Signing Miller to an extension does not - repeat DOES NOT - mean that the Steelers will automatically lose any of those players. I highly doubt they'd give this contract to Miller without considering the future. They know Holmes, Timmons and Woodley are up for contracts soon. They also know which of their current older players will likely be on the downsides of their careers and thus subject to their contracts being restructured to save money, cut or retirement (Ward, Harrison, Farrior, possibly Hampton), which would then allow them to re-allocate that money to Holmes, Timmons and Woodley, not to mention the salary cap increasing every year (assuming there is still a cap in 2 years). Bottom line - they have a plan behind each and every contract they offer.

You need to have more faith and trust in the FO. We're not talking about Dan Snyder here.

SteelMember
07-30-2009, 06:55 AM
HEEEEATH!

:applaudit::cheer::tt03::thumbsup:

fansince'76
07-30-2009, 07:07 AM

Only time will tell.

Evidently, the FO doesn't share your feelings. And considering their batting average over time, I'm gonna side with them on this one.

Texasteel
07-30-2009, 07:17 AM
The steelers are doing something that the never seem to be able to do before. Keep their own top players. I don't agree that TE is one of the lesser position, if fact Miller could be our top red zone receiver. I do know this. The Rooney's do spend this kind of money on a player that the steelers don't intend to us. They have gotten a bunch done this year, and I don't think they are finished.

Edman
07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
This Front Office has brought home two Lombardies in four years. Fielding contenders year after year without putting the team into cap hell. I think they know what the hell they're doing.

scsteeler
07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Good to see Miller getting the deal because he contributes some much to the success of the Steelers offense. The thing is he will never get the same top tight end notice like a Tony Gonzalez because his stats may not be as high but the blocking he does as well as receiving threat makes him one of the top 5 TE's in the league.

43Hitman
07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah, because damn those Rooneys, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. :coffee:

Signing Miller to an extension does not - repeat DOES NOT - mean that the Steelers will automatically lose any of those players. I highly doubt they'd give this contract to Miller without considering the future. They know Holmes, Timmons and Woodley are up for contracts soon. They also know which of their current older players will likely be on the downsides of their careers and thus subject to their contracts being restructured to save money, cut or retirement (Ward, Harrison, Farrior, possibly Hampton), which would then allow them to re-allocate that money to Holmes, Timmons and Woodley, not to mention the salary cap increasing every year (assuming there is still a cap in 2 years). Bottom line - they have a plan behind each and every contract they offer.

You need to have more faith and trust in the FO. We're not talking about Dan Snyder here.

Well said my friend, well said. :thumbsup:

mmalone
07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Good to see Miller getting the deal because he contributes some much to the success of the Steelers offense. The thing is he will never get the same top tight end notice like a Tony Gonzalez because his stats may not be as high but the blocking he does as well as receiving threat makes him one of the top 5 TE's in the league.

it may be Miller vs Gonzalez in the Super Bowl this year...

Dino 6 Rings
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
And with the 30th pick of the 2005 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Heath Miller, Tight End out of Virginia.

And with the 25th Pick of the 2006 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Santonio Holmes, Wide Receiver out of The Ohio State University.

And with the 15th pick of the 2007 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Lawrence Timmons, Line Backer out of Florida State.

And with the 23rd pick of the 2008 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Rashad Mendenhall, Running Back out of the University of Illinois.

And with the 32nd pick of the 2009 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Evander Hood, Defensive End out of the University of Missouri.

But we aren't considered THE Best Drafting team in the NFL. Nope.

Steel Head
07-30-2009, 08:46 AM

We're considered ONE of the best drafting teams in the NFL. Yes

Sharkissle29
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
And with the 30th pick of the 2005 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Heath Miller, Tight End out of Virginia.

And with the 25th Pick of the 2006 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Santonio Holmes, Wide Receiver out of The Ohio State University.

And with the 15th pick of the 2007 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Lawrence Timmons, Line Backer out of Florida State.

And with the 23rd pick of the 2008 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Rashad Mendenhall, Running Back out of the University of Illinois.

And with the 32nd pick of the 2009 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Evander Hood, Defensive End out of the University of Missouri.

I see a trend...if the trend continues, Mendenhall is due for a good year.

Ziggy wont get much PT, but using the first year as a learning experience.

That is, if this trend continues....

Busforever
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Just one word: YESSSSS!!!

Miller is the best TE in the NFL, period. No one brings on the table all the things that he brings

The_WARDen
07-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Not to be negative...but in all fairness, the last 3 guys have done squat thus far.

steelax04
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
My g/f is from VA and loves her some Heath... with the Steelers signing Miller, I might get some lovin' out of this!

Go F.O.!!! :tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
07-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Not to be negative...but in all fairness, the last 3 guys have done squat thus far.

They'll come around, just like the ones before them have. Timmons is going to have a great year, in my opinion just having his skills on the field 3 downs in a row is going to pay huge dividends. Mendy should be able to split carries and really help us re-establish our running game. Ziggy is 2 years away from being "the man" on our D-line.

With the 11th Pick of the 2004 Draft, The Pittsburgh Steelers select Ben Roethlisberger, QuarterBack, University of Miami Ohio.

With the 16th Pick of the 2003 Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Troy Polamalu Defensive Back from the University of Souther California.

CanadianSteel
07-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Way to go Steelers... sign one of the most deserving players IMO. Harworker who keeps his mouth shut and lets his play do the talking.

I think with the extension Health Miller may just be next up on my jersey to purchase list !

:thumbsup:

triphahn
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I love the Steelers!

tyler289
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Great news, a good TE can be such a great member of the offense.

Steel Head
07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Miller is the best TE in the NFL, period. No one brings on the table all the things that he brings

I guess you never seen Jason Witten play

steelreserve
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
lotta $$dough$$ flung around this off season. steelers are most likely headed towards the National Bank of Ben next season for a restructure. (ike taylor is about tapped out).

More like the National Bank of Not Re-Signing Parker. That's good for another $4-$5 mil, which ought to placate Clark or Hampton on top of what they're already making. If we get lucky and there's another bump up in the salary cap, we ought to be able to keep both.

Anyway, I cannot overstate how glad I am that out of all the key guys we were worried about, there are only two left, and we've got time and $$$ to work on that. Awesome.

StainlessStill
07-30-2009, 07:44 PM

How can you say we aren't considered the best drafting team in the NFL? Our whole roster is pretty much a make up of all of our draft picks. The Steelers are the staple of the NFL when it comes to building a team through the draft alone. So YES, the Steelers ARE the best drafting team in the NFL.

Milkman
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm glad he signed...and now I know my Heath jersey will be good for years to come!

:tt:

theplatypus
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
This is great news!

Sharkissle29
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM

It all takes time...it wouldnt surprise me if lawrence timmons makes the pro bowl this year...he is a freak

Galax Steeler
07-31-2009, 03:31 AM
I guess you never seen Jason Witten play

Not to mention Gates to.

Lock Down
07-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Ah! hadn't kept up with the forums for past couple of days & missed this bit of news. Glad to see Miller is signed up, the team continues to shape nicely for the future.

Steel_Bus_24
07-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Heath is just a beast of a football player......everything you want in one, hes got it