PDA

View Full Version : A Nagging Question in the Back of My Head

Preacher
07-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Ok. So we just got Heath signed. Most of the line got contracts, Ben got his contract what, last year, Harrison got a contract, etc. etc.

How backloaded are these? Are we headed for cap trouble in 3-5 years? Are we betting on 2 more SB's in the next 4-5 years and that is why we are keeping this core, with a willing trade off of 2-5 years to dig out of cap hell?

Or do we have some BIG contracts that are up in the next year or two and will lighten the load quite a bit?

Capologists, what do you think... enlighten me please.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I am no capologist, but I think we are fine.....especially since there will most likely be no cap in 2010 due to the labour situation.

Take that and the fact that contracts of guys like Parker, Keisel, Hampton, Smith, Townsend, Colon are coming due and there are some young guys getting ready to step up.........and I think things will be fine.

tony hipchest
07-30-2009, 01:22 AM
we are eating about 5-7 mil in "dead money" this season (i cant remember the exact math) which comes off the books next season. we dont have much dead money (if any) next year.

hines and starks deals actually lower their cap hit.

james harrison's and h. millers deals will make all of these "savings" a wash.

assuming there is a new CBA, the salary cap should go up (it went up tremendously this year).

we are good. the steelers are better than any other team in handling these issues. we may lose a faneca, or randle el, or chris hope, but we will be able to press on just as we have.

the lynch pin in all of this is mike tomlin. bill belichick has 5 rings in his 35 years of coaching. tomlin is just over 35 years old and already has 2 rings.

he is next.

show him the money, secure colbert, and the steelers will "keep on keeping on".

SteelersinCA
07-30-2009, 01:26 AM
I agree with Tony, the Steelers have been pretty good historically at knowing when to cut a guy loose. We will be fine.

tony hipchest
07-30-2009, 01:37 AM
oh, and i forgot to add that the steelers historically dont back load deals.

if you look at the big money deals that marvel smith and casey hampton got after their 1st contracts were up, you will see that they didnt increase much (in hamptons case it actually decreases).

look at the steelers record setting extension [at the time] we gave aaron smith a year or 2 ago.

it looks like highway robbery today.

the steelers do NOT mortgage their future (which is probably why we are [or amongst] the most winningest franchise in the free agency era).

Preacher
07-30-2009, 06:00 AM
oh, and i forgot to add that the steelers historically dont back load deals.

if you look at the big money deals that marvel smith and casey hampton got after their 1st contracts were up, you will see that they didnt increase much (in hamptons case it actually decreases).

look at the steelers record setting extension [at the time] we gave aaron smith a year or 2 ago.

it looks like highway robbery today.

the steelers do NOT mortgage their future (which is probably why we are [or amongst] the most winningest franchise in the free agency era).

true, though the salary does increase every year, then with bonuses, that is my worry. We have Santo coming up pretty soon for a contract, and who else that is going to demand a nice chunk? Woodley? How many years do we have Timmons signed for?

Man, it sure will be great if we can keep this team together for a nice 4-7 year run.

The Lakelander
07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok. So we just got Heath signed. Most of the line got contracts, Ben got his contract what, last year, Harrison got a contract, etc. etc.

How backloaded are these? Are we headed for cap trouble in 3-5 years? Are we betting on 2 more SB's in the next 4-5 years and that is why we are keeping this core, with a willing trade off of 2-5 years to dig out of cap hell?

Or do we have some BIG contracts that are up in the next year or two and will lighten the load quite a bit?

Capologists, what do you think... enlighten me please.

Maybe we have some FWP's or Nate Washington's or William Gay's out there on the scouting horizon? Those players sure make the team cap friendly for their first few NFL seasons.

randy06
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I trust the Rooney's, I just hope like you said that we are in good shape 2-3 years from now.

revefsreleets
07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I know they like to create incentive-laden contracts, which is smart. If you THINK you're all that, put your money where your mouth is and prove it...and get paid.

I know there was one example where they had to pay a TON of incentives, although I'm sure they were happy to do so. Ben hit all kinds of thresholds his first year (NLTBE's or "Not Likely To Be Earned" incentives) when he took the team to the AFCCG. Those counted against 2005's cap, incidentally. Also, when you sign a rook and he doesn't hit his EXPECTED to be earned incentives, you get a cap credit.

Anyway, I don't think we operate that way at all...we tend NOT to sign players to long-term deals towards the end of their careers because we know they'll never fulfill their obligations. We leave that to other teams (The Jets are still my favorite example with Kimo and Faneca)...

MasterOfPuppets
07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
we are eating about 5-7 mil in "dead money" this season (i cant remember the exact math) which comes off the books next season. we dont have much dead money (if any) next year.

. who's dead money are they eating ? other than foote, who have they cut that was under contract ? :noidea:

steelreserve
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
who's dead money are they eating ? other than foote, who have they cut that was under contract ? :noidea:

Simmons is counting for $4.6 million this year. We're still taking a $2.4 million hit for Sean F*^$*&#ing Mahan. Humpal is counting $50,000. I think that's all.

MasterOfPuppets
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Simmons is counting for $4.6 million this year. We're still taking a $2.4 million hit for Sean F*^$*&#ing Mahan. Humpal is counting $50,000. I think that's all.

:doh:.... damn i forgot about simmons...shows how much i missed him.

steelreserve
07-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Also, in response to the original post: I don't think we're in trouble because of backloading. A couple of contracts (like Harrison's) are backloaded to an extent, but the last couple years of most NFL contracts aren't "real." When the big-money years come up, they'll get the choice of renegotiating or being cut; that's standard procedure in the league. I don't think we backloaded our contracts as much as a lot of teams, though -- and more importantly, we didn't give out ridiculous signing bonuses. That helps because if we have to cut a guy in the last couple years of his contract, the prorated cap hit we take won't be as big.

One more thing: Backloaded contracts or not, we ARE looking at the next few years as our window to win another Super Bowl. The next 3-4 years IS the window. You get past that, and half the defense will be gone, along with Ward -- even Troy might retire by then. If we want to extend our window past that, it'll have to be with a completely different team. Not that we can't do it if we keep drafting well and being smart -- it's just that you can't predict any further into the future than a few seasons. Heck, being able to predict more than a couple leaves us better off than most teams.

BlastFurnace
07-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm not worried about it. The Rooney's have never put us in Cap Trouble before and I doubt they did it this time.

There have been other times in our history where a bunch of big contracts were signed pretty close...in a smaller cap dollar time and we have always been ok.

Steeldude
07-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Are we headed for cap trouble in 3-5 years?

unless something changes there is no salary cap after 2009.

Preacher
07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
:doh:.... damn i forgot about simmons...shows how much i missed him.

:rofl:

Yeah. . . me too. amazing how he just faded into memory. I wonder how good he would have been if he hadn't been hit with diabetes.