PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers could sign Ryan Clark as early as Saturday

mesaSteeler
07-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers could sign Ryan Clark as early as Saturday
July 30, 11:52 PM · Matt Pawlikowski - Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m7d30-Pittsburgh-Steelers-could-sign-Ryan-Clark-as-early-as-Saturday

LATROBE - Slowly but surely, the Steeler have been locking up their players who would have been eligible to hit the free-agent market following the 2009 season.

First there was James Harrison, then Hines Ward and the latest tight end Heath Miller. Could safety Ryan Clark be next?Ryan Clark

With just a few hours until players report to camp, league sources have confirmed a report by Dale Lolly of the Washington Observer Reporter that the team is indeed in talks with Clark about working out a contract extension.

According to one person close with the situation, a deal could be etched out as early as Saturday and be for between three and four years.

Clark played in 14 games last season and recorded 87 tackles and along with one interception in 14 starts last season. He has totaled 342 tackles in his career, 181 with the Steelers.

He originally signed a four-year, seven million dollar contract with the Steelers in 2006 after playing two years with the Washington Redskins.

"When you play on this defense, you have to do something to make the guys respect you. I remember when I got here I just wanted to fit in." Clark said earlier this year." They accept you with open arms, but it wasn’t until the third game of my first season here when I hit Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry that James Harrison said I was officially one of the Steelers. Those are the types of guys they want out on the field.”

Clark who lines up with All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu was asked what it is like to play with him and had this to say.

"Troy and I spend a lot of time off the field together. I think that helps us in our communication, the ways we talk, and I want him to be great.," Clark said. "You want Troy to jump over the pile on fourth and one. You want Troy to be able to leave his man and get an interception, and score a touchdown. You want him to feel like he can do those things and be covered, so I tell him, ‘you go be you and I’ll figure it out.’ "

STEELER NOTEBOOK: VICK WILL NEVER BE A STEELER

Mike Bires was at it again, as my good friend had one of the better pieces regarding Michael Vick and the Steelers. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN said Bires in Thursday's edition of the Beaver County Times.

"There’s no way team president Art Rooney II, personnel director Kevin Colbert or coach Mike Tomlin would even seriously consider that option.

What good would it serve?

The Steelers are a talented team coming off a Super Bowl win. They are a team with a superstar quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger) and at least one capable backup (Charlie Batch) and maybe another in the making (Dennis Dixon).

This is also a team with extraordinary team chemistry.

Why risk all that for a guy like Vick, who’ll bring so much baggage with him?

He’s a potential big-time distraction and a potential cancer. Imagine the media circus that would follow Vick in Pittsburgh, or anywhere he might go.

MEET AND GREET

Well sort of. While Steeler players are not to report to camp until 4 p.m., both Ziggy Hood and Heath Miller will hold press conferences to talk about their contracts. Hood will get $1,100,000 million in base salary his first year and a $6 million signing bonus, while Miller's contract is worth $35 million over the next six years and a $12.5 million signing bonus. The Pittsburgh Sports Examiner will have more what they have to say tomorrow.

Pittsburgh Steelers Training camp schedule:
July 31: Players report, no practice
August 1: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 2: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 3: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 4: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 6: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 7: Night practice at Memorial Stadium in Latrobe 7 p.m. (admission fee)
August 8: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 9: Off day
August 10: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 11: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 12: No open practice
August 13: No practice... Steelers vs. Cardinals at Heinz Field, 8 p.m.
August 14: Off day
August 15: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 16: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 17: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 18: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 19: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 20: Open practice 2:55 p.m.
August 21: No practice ... team breaks camp

NORTH NUGGET

The Ravens signed fomer Steeler wide reciever Jayson Foyster who was cut on June 18th. Why is it every year about this time a division foe signs a player who has been released from the team? Anyways for more of the signing check out the Carroll County Times

Preacher
07-31-2009, 02:20 AM
I hope it is true and not just another "rumor has it story"

How nice would it be to walk into this season with all but Hampton, willie and Reed signed... the only three who really have something to prove...

Hampton: Can he maintain under a certain weight and keep playing for a few more years.

Willie: Has he peaked with age, or will his speed come back to him?

Reed: Has his days as a towel dispenser hit-man been put behind him? :chuckle:

Gnutella
07-31-2009, 02:23 AM
I think Reed gets re-signed, Hampton gets franchised, and Parker leaves.

Preacher
07-31-2009, 02:58 AM
I think Reed gets re-signed, Hampton gets franchised, and Parker leaves.

No way they drop a franchise tag on Hampton IMO.

Parker is the interesting case. They have no other "Proven" backs in the backfield. I wonder if Parker takes a hometown discount to stay?

Of course, if we were the Raiders, we would franchise Reed! :chuckle:

Justin Otstott
07-31-2009, 03:59 AM

Parker is the interesting case. They have no other "Proven" backs in the backfield. I wonder if Parker takes a hometown discount to stay?

Of course, if we were the Raiders, we would franchise Reed! :chuckle:

LMAO!!! :rofl:

But, yea I think Parker needs to go...Unless he does some great things for us this year.

Steel-Bryan
07-31-2009, 04:12 AM
i think They all are gunna stay, hampton gets tagged, parker stays 2 years, reed stays. and the next year ziggy will replace casey, in the mean time he'll play DE replacing brett.

Preacher
07-31-2009, 04:24 AM
LMAO!!! :rofl:

But, yea I think Parker needs to go...Unless he does some great things for us this year.

Why thank ya!!

I wouldn't say Parker NEEDS to go. I think he has some very good years left. I just think we are very deep at that position right now, and Parker would take the biggest salary, which is why a hometown discount would probably keep him, IMO.

Galax Steeler
07-31-2009, 04:42 AM
That would be some great news get Clark signed before we start training camp. Then we would have to go and get Reed signed for a few more years. These signings are going smother then I thought they would.

LambertLunatic
07-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Of course, if we were the Raiders, we would franchise Reed!

Would tagging Reed really be that bad of a thing? By tagging him, the Steelers would have to pay him the average of the top few kickers, which is about what he's worth. We all know the problems most kickers have in Heinze Field, especially in December.

Steel Head
07-31-2009, 08:19 AM

why not?

that would be a very smart move

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Would tagging Reed really be that bad of a thing? By tagging him, the Steelers would have to pay him the average of the top few kickers, which is about what he's worth. We all know the problems most kickers have in Heinze Field, especially in December.

Bingo. However, I think something will be worked out with Reed before he hits the market. He's our ace in the hole and the only kicker in the league who has consistent success in Heinz Field. Signing Reed is a MUST imho.

Great news on Ryan Clark and I hope they get 'r done before the end of the day! :applaudit::thumbsup:

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM

They get two of them, barring a new CBA gets put in place beforehand, so they might. :noidea:

KeiselPower99
07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
I hope its trueI wanna see him knock Ravens out for a few more seasons.

mulldog24
07-31-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm just really glad that we are keeping our core players together. Hopefully we can get the rest signed or franchised so we can have a chance at being a dynasty over the next several years!!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
:

Yeah, Hampton is only one of the strongest NT's in the game that has gone to 4 pro bowls and has nobody to replace him but Chris Hoke on the roster. Why would they tag him? :rolleyes:

Max Starks on the other hand.................(insert sarcasm smiley here)

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
to tag a DT this year the cost was 6,058,000 ... of course next year it will go up with the ridiculous deal hainsworth got.

steelreserve
07-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Why? After this season, we probably don't want him longer than one or two more years. Odds are, that's as long as he'll be able to keep it up at that level. And he'll probably want a five-year deal with a fat signing bonus. His will be a hard deal to get done, unless there's an uncapped year and we take care of it then.

steelreserve
07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
to tag a DT this year the cost was 6,058,000 ... of course next year it will go up with the ridiculous deal hainsworth got.

Interesting .... Hampton's cap hit this year is $6.6 million. So tagging him wouldn't mess with our cap too badly after all.

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
i'd say it all depends on how much the cap increases (assumming there will be one)...:noidea: ... i mean if the cap only increases 7 mill or so, they can't hardly give it all to one guy considering holmes , woodly and taylor will be looking for new deals. anyone think maybe the wallace pick was out of fear of not getting holmes signed ?

Steel Head
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
tagging Hampton next year would be a very smart move

It would be too risky to sign him long term considering he has had several major knee surgeries and is already 31 years old.

However, Hampton was still a force last year and I think since this is his contract year that he will come into camp in better shape than in past seasons and be ready to have a monster year

I agree w everyone else that we should lock up Reed to a multi-year deal

Da Steeler Soprano
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
If Clark signs Im buying his jersey this year, thats all there is too it. This guy is a Steeler through and through.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
tagging Hampton next year would be a very smart move

It would be too risky to sign him long term considering he has had several major knee surgeries and is already 31 years old.

However, Hampton was still a force last year and I think since this is his contract year that he will come into camp in better shape than in past seasons and be ready to have a monster year

I agree w everyone else that we should lock up Reed to a multi-year deal

True, tagging Hampton for only $7mil a season vs the tag that was put on Max Starks for over $8mil.............its a no brainer.

I guess that I am one of the few that does not think that you throw a lot of money at ...............a kicker. The avg of the top 5 kickers in the NFL last year was $2.4million. I really dont think that is wise money spent......but in an uncapped season its gonna be pretty easy to see the Steelers potentially give Reed the transition tag.

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
True, tagging Hampton for only $7mil a season vs the tag that was put on Max Starks for over $8mil.............its a no brainer.

I guess that I am one of the few that does not think that you throw a lot of money at ...............a kicker. The avg of the top 5 kickers in the NFL last year was $2.4million. I really dont think that is wise money spent......but in an uncapped season its gonna be pretty easy to see the Steelers potentially give Reed the transition tag.
i gotta disagree there. too many games are one or lost by kickers to not invest in a good one ...after watching the punter fiasco last year, i've changed my mind about the "importance" of a reliable punter as well ...:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
i gotta disagree there. too many games are one or lost by kickers to not invest in a good one ...after watching the punter fiasco last year, i've changed my mind about the "importance" of a reliable punter as well ...:doh:

So back in 2002 when the Steelers needed a kicker, they auditioned a bunch of guys and instead of Todd Peterson or Michael Husted, they got an undrafted FA by the name of Jeff Reed.

I just think the Steelers scouting staff might have another guy in mind if they decide they dont want to overpay Reed or any other kicker. Dont always have to invest in a known entitiy to find a good kicker.

I hope the Clark deal gets done today.

Steel Head
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM

I get what you are saying but they should be able to work out a reasonable deal.....Reed shouldn't get top 5 money

I think the Steelers are hesitant because of how much of a crazy partier Reed is

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
I get what you are saying but they should be able to work out a reasonable deal.....Reed shouldn't get top 5 money

I think the Steelers are hesitant because of how much of a crazy partier Reed is

If they can work out a deal, great.......but I think he is at least a top 10 kicker in the league and will want top 5 cash. I just dont get how some fans think Reed is more important to sign than somebody like Hampton :noidea: He's a KICKER?!?!?!?!?

steelreserve
07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
If they can work out a deal, great.......but I think he is at least a top 10 kicker in the league and will want top 5 cash. I just dont get how some fans think Reed is more important to sign than somebody like Hampton :noidea: He's a KICKER?!?!?!?!?

Not to mention you can pick up a very good kicker on the cheap, any time you choose, with a low-round draft pick. I really have no idea why no one ever does that.

A guy like Hampton, on the other hand, does not come along very often, and not having a good replacement for him would be disastrous.

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
So back in 2002 when the Steelers needed a kicker, they auditioned a bunch of guys and instead of Todd Peterson or Michael Husted, they got an undrafted FA by the name of Jeff Reed.

I just think the Steelers scouting staff might have another guy in mind if they decide they dont want to overpay Reed or any other kicker. Dont always have to invest in a known entitiy to find a good kicker.

I hope the Clark deal gets done today. if thats easy to find quality guys, then why in the hell didn't they find a better punter ? :doh:

Hotrodder07
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Good to hear. Ryan Clark quickly became one of my favorite players last year, for obvious reasons. I hope they can get this deal done.

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I just dont get how some fans think Reed is more important to sign than somebody like Hampton :noidea: He's a KICKER?!?!?!?!?

Because the difference between a reliable PK and an unreliable PK is 1-3 wins a season, if not more. Everyone discounts PKs until they're stuck with a bad one and that bad one winds up costing them games by missing FGs at the end of games or in OT. And PKs are pretty low paid relative to other positions.

steelreserve
07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Because the difference between a reliable PK and an unreliable PK is 1-3 wins a season, if not more. Everyone discounts PKs until they're stuck with a bad one and that bad one winds up costing them games by missing FGs at the end of games or in OT. And PKs are pretty low paid relative to other positions.

Reliable, that's the key word. I don't think you need a great placekicker, just one that doesn't suck (which we've had our share of). I love knowing we can count on Reed basically every time, but Steelers fans are a little quick to label him irreplaceable. We're still smarting from the parade of losers that came before Reed and made him look that much better by comparison. But if it ever really came down to it, we could probably find someone else who's good enough.

In any case, I don't think we'll have a problem keeping Reed. There's not a hell of a lot of difference between what the top kickers make (except Janikowski, which doesn't really count), and we pay him pretty well already. I can't see him asking for a raise of more than a couple hundred thousand, which we should be able to afford pretty easily.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
if thats easy to find quality guys, then why in the hell didn't they find a better punter ? :doh:

Better than who??

2007 Daniel Sepulveda 42.4 yd avg........37.9 yd net punting
2008 Mitch Berger 41.3 yd avg.......36.4 yd net punting

Not that much of a difference in the performance of a starting punter and an old guy off the scrap heap of NFL punter.

joeyssteelcurtain
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Good news

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 02:51 PM

'76, the issue that I have is that if having a reliable PK is good for 1-3 wins a season.........then what is the cost in yds rushing, sacks, losses, etc if you have a weak NT instead of a force like Hampton??

One could argue that those close games a kicker has a chance to win are not close if the opposing offense is able to control the line of scrimmage because your NT is going to be Chris Hoke or RaShon Harris.

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Better than who??

2007 Daniel Sepulveda 42.4 yd avg........37.9 yd net punting
2008 Mitch Berger 41.3 yd avg.......36.4 yd net punting

Not that much of a difference in the performance of a starting punter and an old guy off the scrap heap of NFL punter.
or you could throw in this example ....

Ernster was signed to replace Berger but averaged only 31.3 yards on 12 punts in three games. His 28.5 average yardage on five punts during the Steelers' 27-10 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday was their second lowest in a game since 1970.

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
'76, the issue that I have is that if having a reliable PK is good for 1-3 wins a season.........then what is the cost in yds rushing, sacks, losses, etc if you have a weak NT instead of a force like Hampton??

One could argue that those close games a kicker has a chance to win are not close if the opposing offense is able to control the line of scrimmage because your NT is going to be Chris Hoke or RaShon Harris.

All due respect to Big Snack, but I didn't notice much of a dropoff when he was out of the lineup and Hoke was in. As others have mentioned, I think tagging him is a good way to go at this point considering his age and weight issues in the past.

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
All due respect to Big Snack, but I didn't notice much of a dropoff when he was out of the lineup and Hoke was in. As others have mentioned, I think tagging him is a good way to go at this point considering his age and weight issues in the past.
2 games hampton missed
tndy ...22 - 66 yds
SD......19 - 62 YDS

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
All due respect to Big Snack, but I didn't notice much of a dropoff when he was out of the lineup and Hoke was in. .

I know that is the popular view. The thing that I keep seeing in either game replays from last year or the hilight DVD is that Hampton at times just collapses the pocket or pushes the opposing center into the backfield to disrupt running plays...............Hoke does not.

I think if you put it to a secret vote of the Steelers players and they could only keep Hampton or Reed, but not both. Who would they want to keep and who would they rather find a replacement for?? I bet only Hoke, Warren and Sepulveda would vote to keep Reed over Hampton.

fansince'76
07-31-2009, 03:35 PM
I know that is the popular view. The thing that I keep seeing in either game replays from last year or the hilight DVD is that Hampton at times just collapses the pocket or pushes the opposing center into the backfield to disrupt running plays...............Hoke does not.

To be honest, I don't Tivo/DVR the games and go back over them and I know you do as you pay specific attention to the line play, so I will defer to your judgment there. Hopefully, we can find a way to keep them both. :hope:

St33lersguy
07-31-2009, 03:36 PM
That's good, I like his hard hits

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
To be honest, I don't Tivo/DVR the games and go back over them and I know you do as you pay specific attention to the line play, so I will defer to your judgment there. Hopefully, we can find a way to keep them both. :hope:

Yeah, I hope we can keep them both too.

Actually I think there is a lot you can glean from the championship DVD in terms of Hampton and his impact. Plus, NFL network reran the playoff game vs the Chargers and I noticed a few key things:

1. Hampton was just owning the Chargers center and pushing him in the backfield.
2. Hartwig stalemated Jamaal Williams at the LOS most of the game
3. Stapleton got pushed around by Williams and Shawn Phillips several times
4. Keisel was a force all game
5. James Harrison got held, mugged, tackled, shanked and had his wallet stolen......all without a flag.

43Hitman
07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I hope we can keep them both too.

Actually I think there is a lot you can glean from the championship DVD in terms of Hampton and his impact. Plus, NFL network reran the playoff game vs the Chargers and I noticed a few key things:

1. Hampton was just owning the Chargers center and pushing him in the backfield.
2. Hartwig stalemated Jamaal Williams at the LOS most of the game
3. Stapleton got pushed around by Williams and Shawn Phillips several times
4. Keisel was a force all game
5. James Harrison got held, mugged, tackled, shanked and had his wallet stolen......all without a flag.

What was your take on Colon for that Charger game? I think Shawn Phillips was on NFL network a few weeks back when they were talking about lineman, and he said that Colon was one of the nastiest and toughest lineman he had gone against in a long time. Meanwhile, Sapp was dogging our line, which I don't blame him for, we kicked his ass several times.

Give It To Abercrombie
07-31-2009, 04:02 PM
"Troy and I spend a lot of time off the field together. I think that helps us in our communication, the ways we talk, and I want him to be great.," Clark said. "You want Troy to jump over the pile on fourth and one. You want Troy to be able to leave his man and get an interception, and score a touchdown. You want him to feel like he can do those things and be covered, so I tell him, ‘you go be you and I’ll figure it out.’ "

That is why I love Ryan Clark.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2009, 04:07 PM
What was your take on Colon for that Charger game? I think Shawn Phillips was on NFL network a few weeks back when they were talking about lineman, and he said that Colon was one of the nastiest and toughest lineman he had gone against in a long time. Meanwhile, Sapp was dogging our line, which I don't blame him for, we kicked his ass several times.

Colon IMO, played like he always does.....he is just a powerful, nasty run blocker. He smacked the guy across from him and on some plays then got to the LB at the 2nd level. The big thing was that Colon locked down Phillips in the pass rush and didnt give up a sack.

The weakness of Stapleton was HUGE in that game. In the 2nd QTR, the Chargers slanted Jamaal Williams at Stapleton and blitzed the ILB at Hartwig. Stapleton gets pushed into the backfield and FWP gets tackled in the backfield. Then, on another run to the left, the Steeler line slants left and Stapleton goes 2nd level to cut off the LB.......and Shawn Phillips puts Stapleton on his ass, then starts letting him know about it.

Honestly, in the Charger playoff game, 4 of the 5 linemen and Heath Miller blocked like men pushing around highschool players. Colon and Kemo run blocked like monsters!

RoethlisBURGHer
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I would love to see Clark signed to an extension.

Hampton- Signed to three year deal

Parker- Walks if Mendenhall has a big season

Reed- Signed, otherwise franchised and then signed

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
This is great news. Well done FO.

WWP
07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Aside from Heath Miller, I think Clark is THE most important guy that we need to sign. When we didn't have him due to injury a couple years ago, there was a hole in the secondary. He is WAAAAAY more important that what people give him credit for.

revefsreleets
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
He LIVES in the film room.

I LOVE those kinds of guys. They are professional football craftsmen, and they have an understanding of the game that defies description. It's invaluable on the field....

Psyychoward86
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Better not be a rumor...I'd love a couple more years of Clark. We still need to groom Mundy, and a repeat of '07 without Clark would be terrible!