PDA

View Full Version : Altitude

SteelerFanInATL
01-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Having lived in Colorado Springs, CO my only worry is will the altitude have any effect on us. It can make a difference if you are not used to it, trust me. What do you guys and gals think?

Sharkissle29
01-15-2006, 04:53 PM
this was the first thing i thought of after the game...

I.C. Lights
01-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Altitude can make a difference, but if we get to Denver a couple days before the game, the effect should have worn off on virtually everyone. We just have to hope we don't have very many stragglers.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Playing in Denver is all about conditiong.. the air is thin, lots of oxygen is needed and players need to rotate in and out to stay fresh.

Koopa
01-15-2006, 04:57 PM
i think it'll probably effect us for a little bit but then they'll get used to it. this is great my spurs had to go through denver to win the championship and now the steelers are going threw denver to try to win it all, and the spurs played in detroit to win the championship and now the superbowl is in detroit.

OX1947
01-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Denver needed 5 turnovers to beat the Pats ina close game. Pressure the QB and Jake will throw INTs. Denver's defense isnt as fast as indy so I think willie will do a little better next week. It will be a good game I think, but if it takes nailbiters and we win, so be it. Im a healthy 27 yr old.....

SteelerFanInATL
01-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Altitude can make a difference, but if we get to Denver a couple days before the game, the effect should have worn off on virtually everyone. We just have to hope we don't have very many stragglers.

It takes alittle longer than that. But that is why they play the game. I can remember walking up three flight of steps and feeling out of breath. They are pro athletes that should make a difference.

SteelerzGirl
01-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Bettis has asthma. I wonder how it will affect him. Will it?

shevdog
01-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Altitude is always an issue when playing in Denver. That's a good point to bring up.

The Steelers will adjust. Good thing is this game will be outside. Snow, cold... Grat for Steelers football!

SteelerFanInATL
01-15-2006, 05:09 PM

He needs to keep that inhaler close by on the sideline just in case.

Suitanim
01-15-2006, 05:17 PM
It might effect Bettis a little bit, but the game will be based on this:

Pittsburgh has a great run D
Much better pass D than NE
An offense clicking on all cylinders.
All the intangibles.

SteelersFever
01-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't think it will be a huge problem. I went to Colorado last year for the first time and I couldn't even notice the difference. I even went on top of Pikes Peak, the mountain. I didn't have any trouble. But, I guess it affects people differently.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Bettis will be affected even if alittle bit..but he's a trooper and in good physical shape and football condition ..as long as we keep guys fresh on defense especially we'll be ok. and it isnt like we arent used to playing in cold either.

Brady12
01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Well as long as no Steeler has to run 100 yards, I think it'll be fine.

clevestinks
01-17-2006, 04:51 AM
I was wondering the same thing, Should Duce be activated this week???

Infamix
01-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Hopefully Cowher and co. can get their hands on a training facility for this week that simulates thinner air, I know for a fact they have those.

bmovierat
01-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Is the thin air affected by the temperture or other weather conditions? I.E., if it's dry and very cold, is it easier to breathe or harder? Last time I checked, the forecast calls for clear skies and temps in the high 30s.

drizze99
01-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Is the thin air affected by the temperture or other weather conditions? I.E., if it's dry and very cold, is it easier to breathe or harder? Last time I checked, the forecast calls for clear skies and temps in the high 30s.

Niether. Altitude. The higher you are, the thinner the air (less oxygen)

chumley
01-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Chuck Noll used to arrive during the day on Saturday, saying the altitude will only affect the players after the first 24 hrs.

Cowher doesn't seem to be walking down the same path...

BusterTBronco
01-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Hopefully Cowher and co. can get their hands on a training facility for this week that simulates thinner air, I know for a fact they have those.

Yeah, in Colorado!

clevestinks
01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Hell it wasn`t the altitude last week that caused the Pats turnovers. The broncos had a short field over and over. I`m not stupid, I know turnovers are part of the game. But it seems to me without the terible calls, and these fumbles. We may have been packing for the North East, instead of the Rocky Mountains.

BusterTBronco
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Hell it wasn`t the altitude last week that caused the Pats turnovers. The broncos had a short field over and over. I`m not stupid, I know turnovers are part of the game. But it seems to me without the terible calls, and these fumbles. We may have been packing for the North East, instead of the Rocky Mountains.

Yeah, I guess our defense and home crowd had NOTHING to do with creating those five turnovers.

You guys seem awfully confident for a wild card team!

You're about to find out that you are outgunned and outclassed. Say hello to the Denver Broncos... the CLASS of the AFC!

bronco militia
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
hello steeler fans...anyone going to the game?

the weather does have an effect when playing at altitude...the warmer and drier, the higher it feels. Just think air density. Wet and cold conditions can almost erase the effects for well conditioned persons.

clevestinks
01-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I guess our defense and home crowd had NOTHING to do with creating those five turnovers.

You guys seem awfully confident for a wild card team!

You're about to find out that you are outgunned and outclassed. Say hello to the Denver Broncos... the CLASS of the AFC!
What the hell does home field have to do with fumbles?????? Are you stupid??

Lets see Troy Brown was scared of the noise so he dropped the ball??

False Starts yeah maybe, but fumbles you fool.:dang:

clevestinks
01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
hello steeler fans...anyone going to the game?

the weather does have an effect when playing at altitude...the warmer and drier, the higher it feels. Just think air density. Wet and cold conditions can almost erase the effects for well conditioned persons.
I wish i were going, then again I wish I could go to every game. Are you going?

One thing and only one that I will admit. Colorado is beautiful!

bronco militia
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I wish i were going, then again I wish I could go to every game. Are you going?

One thing and only one that I will admit. Colorado is beautiful!

yeah, I'll be there...season ticket holder. although some you steeler fans are making me think twice about not selling them...tickets are starting at $500 for seats in my section.

clevestinks
01-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I will pay that $$$$ for the Superbowl, but not to denver thats a flight and everything. I can drive to Detroit. I really think we will win.

But enjoy the game! I`m sure it will be a good one.

Stlrs4Life
01-17-2006, 05:11 PM
According to Cowher they are not arriving until late Sat. Stating the same of what Noll said. Bettis will be fine. He's not starting.

bronco militia
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I will pay that $$$$ for the Superbowl, but not to denver thats a flight and everything. I can drive to Detroit. I really think we will win.

But enjoy the game! I`m sure it will be a good one.

I hope it's a Denver blowout....I'm still running on fumes after the all day party on Saturday. Who knew we were going to get to see another game?

what a shocker. Thanks to the Steelers for knocking off our nemisis-the Colts.

I bet you guys are glad not to have to face the Pats again.

Stlrs4Life
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I hope it's a Denver blowout....I'm still running on fumes after the all day party on Saturday. Who knew we were going to get to see another game?

I don't know. I wanted to, we are calling this our Revenge Tour!

bronco militia
01-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't know. I wanted to, we are calling this our Revenge Tour!

Cower is due vs. Shanny..

14dathum
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
who cares bout the air up there ????? we r on a mission 14dathum

clevestinks
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM

NOOOOOooooooooooooooooo say it isn`t sooooooooooooo!
You hope its a denver blowout??????? LOL

The pats had a great run, you guys ended it Sat,
Colts had a great season, we ended it Sunday.
Wow I wish we were playing in 5 minutes not 5 days

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-17-2006, 05:51 PM
It really effects you when drinking, so be careful Steeler fans as you celebrate our victory.

Suitanim
01-17-2006, 06:28 PM
This altitude thing has always been much ado about nothing. If we were running a marathon it'd matter a whole lot more, but football is a sport of short bursts and rest, much more like sprinting than long-distance running.

It's also more like "3/4's Mile High" to 'Burgher's, since Pittsburgh has an elevation of 1250 (give or take) feet to Denver's 5,000 (give or take) feet.

Finally, I bet if one were to check, there'd be no giant gap between their home W/L record and any other quality NFL team.

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Cower is due vs. Shanny..

Cowher is due to win the Super Bowl. This is do to make it and WIN!

Brady12
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
And yet there is still people sitting at the top seats.

SteelerFanInCA
01-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Bill Cowher won't take his team into Denver until Saturday, not enough time to get used to the thin air but also not as long to be affected by it either. Former Steelers coach Chuck Noll stopped taking his team to Denver two days before it played the Broncos and got them there the afternoon before. He said experts told him if you don't have at least a week to get used to the mile-high altitude, it was better to spend as little time in it as possible.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

SteelerFanInCA
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports//s_414584.html

Suitanim
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
"Although the drag effect could disrupt the Steelers' throwing game if Roethlisberger can't adjust quickly, it should come as good news to field-goal kicker Jeff Reed."

Good. Maybe Jeff can hang a couple KO's into the endzone for a change...

SteelerFanInCA
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
"Although the drag effect could disrupt the Steelers' throwing game if Roethlisberger can't adjust quickly, it should come as good news to field-goal kicker Jeff Reed."

Good. Maybe Jeff can hang a couple KO's into the endzone for a change...
Hey didn't Reed get one into the endzone against Indy? Hopefully he has a few more in him.

Suitanim
01-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey didn't Reed get one into the endzone against Indy? Hopefully he has a few more in him.

Yup, and I nearly fell off the barstool when he did...