PDA

View Full Version : More barbarism in the stands

WeegiesWarriors
07-31-2009, 08:07 PM
I once saw a guy dressed as Santa Claus kick the crap out of a browns fan in the upper deck of old Three Rivers Stadium. I mean the jolly elf had the guy down and was kicking him. The entire section was cheering. I forever believed in Santa from that day on.

Another good one was a browns fan was talking smack after a browns loss outside of Three Rivers. About 2 dozen black and gold brothers literally descended on the guy, his face went from profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery to "oh my God" in no more than one second, and then disappeared. The cops, with a smirk, slowly walked over and pulled guys off of him one by painstakingly slow one.

Old Charlie Daniels once sang "You just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, and I think you're gonna finally understand."

Call me what you will but those were the friggin days. I loved it and I so wish it was still like that. Last time at Heinz it was more like a wine sippin' crowd.

For those of you who know what I'm talking about post your favorite act of barbarism you saw. God bless those unruly days.

HometownGal
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
I miss TRS to this day. It was a great place for football and the sound was absolutely deafening! :thumbsup:

The barbaric act I personally witnessed was not in the stands and was actually committed by two drunken Steelers fans in their early 20's. I was in the concession line at halftime of a Steelers/Browns game at TRS where the Steelers were kicking the Browns asses all over the field, and a Browns fan who had traveled in for the game was in front of me in line and had gotten 2 cups of coffee. He was probably in his mid 60's and was wearing a Browns jacket. These two jackasses behind me in line pushed the guy behind me into me deliberately as they knew their little stunt would cause me to subsequently push into the Browns fan. Poor old guy burned his hands badly from the hot coffee and these two weasels ran down one of the ramps with me and the guy behind me in hot pursuit. I had kicked off my shoes so that I could run faster. We went down 3 ramps and when we got to the bottom, saw that 2 security guards had tackled them to the ground and were awaiting the City police. :applaudit: We identified these guys as the perpetrators and told the authorites that we were adamantly convinced this act was committed on purpose. When I went back up to retrieve my shoes, I found that they were gone - LOL! One of the concession workers kept an extra pair of tennis shoes he kept there (Size 12 - I wear a Size 8-1/2 -LOL!) and gave them to me so that my feet wouldn't freeze. I was very grateful for his kind gesture, though I looked like I was wearing Bozo the Clown shoes. :chuckle: Needless to say, I was totally disgusted and outraged at the behavior of these two Steelers fans. :mad:

MasterOfPuppets
07-31-2009, 08:57 PM
I once saw a guy dressed as Santa Claus kick the crap out of a browns fan in the upper deck of old Three Rivers Stadium. I mean the jolly elf had the guy down and was kicking him. The entire section was cheering. I forever believed in Santa from that day on.

elf? was it santa or a gay lookin elf? cause if it was a gay lookin elf that would be a browns fan....:noidea:

Stlrs4Life
07-31-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't know. I don't think it's cool at all to touch or hurt them. But a simple verbal assault isn't bad.

WeegiesWarriors
07-31-2009, 09:17 PM
^^^^ lol good one (edit: re: Hometown Gals post).

Fave thing about 3R is the arms coming out of the windows in the endzones waving the Terrible Towel. Friggin great.

Another act of barbarism not really a part of fans fighting was in 85. We were bad.... real bad. But for some reason we were kicking the Bengal's arse.... for the younger crowd the "bunglels" were actually good during this time frame. I'm sitting 2 rows behind the Bengal's bench. Collinsworth is led off the field by the trainers and back to the bench. His eyes were literally rolled clear back in his head and his left arm was voluntarily sticking straight out like a stick. I can not repeat the heckles coming from that section. The Bengals took Esiason out of the game. I cannot remember if because of injuy or bad play. I just know it was a lopsided score. He sat on the bench with a towel over his head and just stared straight to the ground. The section kept chanting... "Boomer, Boomer." I loved it. Good times.

Stlrs4Life
07-31-2009, 09:25 PM
LOL, about Collinsworth! No wonder he hates the Steelers so much!

sherlock
08-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I love that story HTG,...A Liz Taylor look-a-like chasing a couple of boneheads through the TRS stands.:laughing:...shame your shoes were stolen though.
WeegiesWarriors...I know what you`re saying about `wine sippin` crowds,it`s a bit like that in soccer in the UK now...but would I want to go back to how soccer was in the 70`s and 80`s....no way!

Crow-Magnon
08-01-2009, 08:28 AM
C'mon! Unless you have a 3-cell jail under the stadium like at the old Vet, you can't talk about barbarism in the stands.

Old Memorial Stadium was once billed as "The World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum", but no fans are as s-house nuts and violent as the fans in Philly. They take it to another level. Just ask Santa. HE got assaulted in Philly! :rofl:

solardave
08-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I was at the old Tampa Stadium for a Steeler/Bucs game.This lady was arguing with this guy. They were both Bucs fans.The guy reached out and slapped her. Before he could say oh Sh... a group of Steeler jerseys were on him. The cops took his bloody a.. to jail. Now I think everyone has the right to support their team without fear of violence unless they provoke it. The fact that our own had to deal with this tells you that we have our way of settling a situation.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2009, 02:39 PM
In 2006 I was at the Steelers-Browns game in Cleveland. Some jackass Browns fan decided he was going to grab the breast of one of the female Steelers fans in my section, and her husband threw this asshole down the steps in our section.

He wanted to charge the Steelers fan for assault and attempted murder, the cop just told him to shut up and be happy he's just spending the night in jail for public intoxication because the lady didn't wanna press charges.

This guy was swearing the entire game, just being obnoxious...with kids in the section! Other than him, it was a very nice section everyone was cool. The smack talk was kept civil due to the kids.

Everyone cheered when his ass got thrown down the steps and arrested. Browns fans were slapping the back of the Steelers fan that threw him!

stillhead
08-01-2009, 07:12 PM
i realize this wasn't in the stands but in 2005 when silverback (james harrison )tackled that great gazoo looking believeland fan that ran on the field during the beat down on our way to superbowl xl. that's my all time favorite. :tt02:

steelballs
08-05-2009, 06:59 AM
I love that story HTG,...A Liz Taylor look-a-like chasing a couple of boneheads through the TRS stands.:laughing:...shame your shoes were stolen though.
WeegiesWarriors...I know what you`re saying about `wine sippin` crowds,it`s a bit like that in soccer in the UK now...but would I want to go back to how soccer was in the 70`s and 80`s....no way!

I agree that the Steeler fan of today is quite different from the days of old. I (my family) have been season ticket holders since the early seventies and the crowd is much more "sippy" than it used to be.
The crowds at TRS were much more blue collar and that's the result of many things, but primarily $. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my seats for anything, but the "old" crowds were certainly more barbaric....maybe we've chilled with success.

I've witnessed a lot of funny, violent and strange things happen at games in my 30+ years...too many to mention, but none that weren't warranted by the receiver.

Steeldude
08-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Another good one was a browns fan was talking smack after a browns loss outside of Three Rivers. About 2 dozen black and gold brothers literally descended on the guy, his face went from profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery to "oh my God" in no more than one second, and then disappeared. The cops, with a smirk, slowly walked over and pulled guys off of him one by painstakingly slow one.

Old Charlie Daniels once sang "You just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, and I think you're gonna finally understand."

Call me what you will but those were the friggin days. I loved it and I so wish it was still like that. Last time at Heinz it was more like a wine sippin' crowd.

For those of you who know what I'm talking about post your favorite act of barbarism you saw. God bless those unruly days.

sounds like the crap you hear at raiders' games. sounds to me like the steelers' fans you are describing are cowardly little punks. 24 steelers' fans against 1 browns' fan? that really makes the steelers look bad. why are you so proud of it?

Steelers & I
08-06-2009, 05:28 AM
I've seen my share of fights at Three Rivers Stadium and most of them were one on one. I saw a long-haired hippy Rams fan nearly thrown from the upper deck by a Steelers fan during a Monday night game in 1990.

I'll admit that I actually assaulted a dude after a game. This dude was in his 50's. He was walking up the ramp while I was walking down. He mumbled something to me so I said, "excuse me". At that time he came closer and asked me if he could suck my *#@!. Well, needless to say, I split his brow open and sent him sliding down half a section of the ramp. Sick I know but that's my most vivid memory from my days of attending Three Rivers Stadium.

But I do agree with the orginal poster, Three Rivers Stadium fans were far more rowdy, vocal, and intense. I always felt somewhat like I was visiting an ancient gladiator arena. I used to attend nearly every home game including the pre-season games. Ever since the Steelers moved to Heinz Field, I've been to no more than 5 games which include the inaugural home game and the 2001 AFC Championship game. In comparison, I just don't care much for the semi-dull atmosphere at Heinz Field.

PeckerWood
08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
It was my first NFL game a Steelers Browns game my family to south of Cleveland just moved from the Wheeling area . Dad and my brother big Steelers fans I was a 13 year old at the time enjoying the sites driving to old Cleveland Staduim. I mean all the cars and busses coming from Steelers Country going to the game. In the parking lot was wild seem like 50/50 Steelers Browns fans.

Well this was the game Turkey Jones planted Terry Bradshaw head first in to the turf. I'm telling you, the fight I saw after that play! Was unreal! I'm not talking one on one fights I'm talking hole sections fighting. As being a little kid I was wondering If I was going to get out a live. Cops came busted it up and took a lot of people to jail. Later that game Mean Joe Greene got into a with the Browns center and damn not as big of a fight but the people were knocking the crap out of each other again. Cops broke it up and more people went to jail.

Going to the car to leave after the game people fighting here and there all the way to the car. unreal I tell you unreal.

Jackal
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Having been sworn at and berated in a luxury box at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, and after getting into several shouting matches with the ingrate Baltimoron fans just for "clapping loudly" or just wearing my Steelers jersey, I'm kind of glad that Steelers fans at least have a modicum of class when opposing fans visit our stadium. I think they have the right to support their team without harassment, but as soon as they step over the line and start instigating the Steelers fans, as I've seen some do over time, then they are just asking to get whatever's coming to them. I don't put up with that s**t.