PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB admits Super Bowl guess

mesaSteeler
08-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Steelers LB admits Super Bowl guess
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/DDDAB638B9F0519986257605000B2E3D?OpenDocument

08/01/2009

LATROBE, PA. One of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history apparently resulted from Steelers linebacker James Harrison's guess work, not the Pittsburgh coaches' game plan.

Harrison revealed while reporting to training camp Friday that he didn't follow his coaches' orders on his 100-yard interception return touchdown that ended the first half against Arizona on Feb. 1 and has quickly become one of the signature plays in any Super Bowl.

Harrison's return of Kurt Warner's pass over the middle intended for Anquan Bolden gave the Steelers a 17-7 halftime lead. They went on to win 27-23 on Ben Roethlisberger's last-minute TD pass to Santonio Holmes. If the Cardinals had scored on the first-and-goal play from the Pittsburgh 2, they probably would have led 14-10 at the half and would have had momentum.

"I actually wasn't supposed to drop on that play, I was supposed to blitz," Harrison said. "All night, we were a step late. We had an all-out blitz and I figured if I stepped (out) I could hold my tackle ... (then) I would drop off and they would have to do a quick slant."

Harrison guessed correctly, stepped in front of Warner's pass and took off down the sideline.

Harrison said Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau never questioned why he gambled. "Technique, opportunity and all that other stuff met (on that play) and a little bit of luck," Harrison said.

(A guess? I don't think it was a guess. I think it was instinct. The great players have a feel for the ball. I think that Warner or some other Cardinal player did something that tipped the play. Harrison saw it, perhaps with out even being conscious of it, and thus history was made. It's like one poker player being able to tell when another is bluffing by identifying their "tell". - mesa)

tony hipchest
08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
i agree wit you mesa. for one, if you watch the sideline clip of tomlin before that play, he calls up to lebeau and accurately predicts/guesses which play the cards are gonna run.

lebeau in turn calls the correct formation to put his players in place to make a play.

the players then have all the skill and study of film to execute.

i guess thats just what a dominant defense does. :noidea:

Psyychoward86
08-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, i was pretty shocked when i found that out in his interview. Skill or luck, good job Deebo :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
08-01-2009, 03:53 PM
He is the man even though he drives a Smart car. Talk about lucky that we managed to get him back from the Ravens after we dropped him twice. WHEW. Imagine if we had to keep him out of the backfield with our Oline. OUCH !!!!!

steel striker
08-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I would call that just a great play by the defensive player of the year.

scsteeler
08-01-2009, 05:27 PM
i agree wit you mesa. for one, if you watch the sideline clip of tomlin before that play, he calls up to lebeau and accurately predicts/guesses which play the cards are gonna run.

lebeau in turn calls the correct formation to put his players in place to make a play.

the players then have all the skill and study of film to execute.

i guess thats just what a dominant defense does. :noidea:

The thing that I love about our Defense is the Tomlin & Lebeau relationship and the trust they instill in the defensive guys.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I am just glad that it turned out the way it did. If the cardinals would have scored that touchdown then the out come could have been the other way around.

steelballs
08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
The thing that I love about our Defense is the Tomlin & Lebeau relationship and the trust they instill in the defensive guys.

Tomlin's best move when he arrived was retaining LeBeau and his scheme. Tomlin's a smart guy and knows greatness when he sees it. Thank God he didn't let his ego take over and clean house like most coaches would have done.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Coach Dad is the greatest Assistant in the game right now. I hope after we Repeat this year and win number 7 he doesn't see it as his swan song. The guy can stay on staff til he's 95 for as far as I'm concerned.

Jackal
08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Coach Dad is the greatest Assistant in the game right now. I hope after we Repeat this year and win number 7 he doesn't see it as his swan song. The guy can stay on staff til he's 95 for as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed...I don't think there's another DC out there at any level who could hold a candle to LeBeau.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Agreed...I don't think there's another DC out there at any level who could hold a candle to LeBeau.

I'm talking DC or OC. Sorry but he's the best Assistant in the game period.

Jackal
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I can't argue with that.

Incidentally, for the record, I wouldn't give a squat less if Harrison had consulted with a Magic 8 Ball before that play. I'm just happy with the results.

HometownGal
08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I think it was instinct. The great players have a feel for the ball.

Couldn't agree more, mesa. Our D is made up of players with great instinct who can smell an opportunity long before it knocks. :thumbsup:

steelreserve
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
If it wasn't for guys trusting their instincts, a lot of the most memorable plays in the history of the game just wouldn't have happened. Sticking to your assignment in the gameplan is always important -- probably more so in football than in most sports -- but no sport can be broken down to a formula 100% of the time.