PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Offensive Line: Who goes..Who stays?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-01-2009, 07:05 PM
A lot has been said of last years Steelers O-line. They were the butt of jokes, the scapegoat for losses, and the step-child of the Super Bowl.

We finished the season with Starkes at LT, Kemo at LG, Hartwig at OC, Stapleton at RG, and Colon at RT. But what does the "2009-2010" O-Line look like? Will it be more of the same with the hope of a cohesion built upon familiarity? Will it be a revamp of most positions? Will it be a little of both, a line made up of something old, something new?

The linemen on the roster right now are:

Capizzi, Jason LT 6-9 330
Colon, Willie RT 6-3 315
Essex, Trai RG 6-4 324
Foster, Ramon OT 6-6 325
Hartwig, Justin C 6-4 312
Hills, Tony LT 6-5 304
Kemoeatu, Chris LG 6-3 344
Legursky, Doug C 6-1 323
Parquet, Jeremy LG 6-6 321
Shipley, A.Q. C 6-0 298
Stapleton, Darnell RG 6-3 305
Starks, Max LT 6-8 345
Urbik, Kraig G 6-5 323

I think we see a couple of changes. I think Stapleton loses the RG slot to either Essex or Urbik. Probably Essex to start and Urbik will see considerable time. Either way I think that Essex will be on the roster as a starter or backup, with Stapleton joining him as a backup OG/OC.

I believe the starting tackles stay the same but that this is the year that Capizzi finally gets his chance and will spot relieve the OT's along with Tony Hills (Essex's versatility in playing OT in a pinch will allow the youth movement)

I also think that we see Legursky behind Hartwig, with the possiblity of bringing up Shipley in a year, for a Legursky/Shipley tandem and lettting Hartwig go.

All in all I see this as a transition year for our line to bring up young players for the future.

Thoughts?

STEELAMANIA
08-01-2009, 07:54 PM
For Stapleton to lose his starting spot, he will either have to sub for Hartwig or play pretty darn crappy. So far we have to see if someone else can step up and play BETTER than Stapleton at RG.....

devilsdancefloor
08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Foster, Parquet are odd men out. capizzi i think will push starks HARD which will be a good thing.

Aussie_steeler
08-02-2009, 05:10 AM
My early guess is that the starting O line stays intact. I just have a bad feeling that Hills does not have it to make it in the NFL and he may well be cut. Shipley and Legursky compete for the backup center spot and it will probably be a pretty close race.

My unqualified guess

Starting
Starks, Max LT 6-8 345
Colon, Willie RT 6-3 315

Backup
Essex, Trai RG / OT 6-4 324
Urbik, Kraig G / T 6-5 323
Legursky, Doug C / OG 6-1 323

Practice Squad
Foster, Ramon OT 6-6 325
Shipley, A.Q. C 6-0 298

Cut
Hills, Tony LT 6-5 304

BlockMonsta
08-02-2009, 06:31 AM
No idea. I just hope for improvement

KeiselPower99
08-02-2009, 09:37 AM
My early guess is that the starting O line stays intact. I just have a bad feeling that Hills does not have it to make it in the NFL and he may well be cut. Shipley and Legursky compete for the backup center spot and it will probably be a pretty close race.

My unqualified guess

Starting
Starks, Max LT 6-8 345
Colon, Willie RT 6-3 315

Backup
Essex, Trai RG / OT 6-4 324
Urbik, Kraig G / T 6-5 323
Legursky, Doug C / OG 6-1 323

Practice Squad
Foster, Ramon OT 6-6 325
Shipley, A.Q. C 6-0 298

Cut
Hills, Tony LT 6-5 304

Hills in place of Capizzi. And if Foster has a good camp he wont last long on the PS. Someone will pick him up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
For Stapleton to lose his starting spot, he will either have to sub for Hartwig or play pretty darn crappy. .....

Watch the AFC Playoff game vs. the Chargers and the Super Bowl........DARNELL STAPLETON ALREADY PLAYED PRETTY DARN CRAPPY IN THOSE GAMES.

I actually felt embarrased for Stapleton in the Charger game as he got jacked up by Shaun Phillips in the 2nd quarter and put on his back on a run play. Phillips owned him and got in his face about it. Then Stapleton follows it up by getting pushed 5 yds in the backfield by Jamaal Williams.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-02-2009, 10:57 AM
My guess is the Steelers will only keep 9

Starting:
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Essex
Colon

Backup:
Stapleton
Urbik
Capizzi
Hills

I think they try to stash either Shipley or Legursky on the practice squad. The hope will be that Urbik can play RG sometime and Stapleton is the utility backup.

I think they dont want to give up on Tony Hills yet, although they probably should have drafted Carl Nicks in that spot instead.

The Lakelander
08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I was at camp on Saturday and I must say I was damn impressed with Legursky. Damn impressed. It's way early but this guy has a viable shot at making the active roster.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
I was at camp on Saturday and I must say I was damn impressed with Legursky. Damn impressed. It's way early but this guy has a viable shot at making the active roster.

Excellent...I am hoping that we can replace Hartwig and Stapleton in the near future...Would love to eventually see Legursky at center and Urbik at guard!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-03-2009, 12:44 PM
My guess is the Steelers will only keep 9

Starting:
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Essex
Colon

Backup:
Stapleton
Urbik
Capizzi
Hills

I think they try to stash either Shipley or Legursky on the practice squad. The hope will be that Urbik can play RG sometime and Stapleton is the utility backup.

I think they dont want to give up on Tony Hills yet, although they probably should have drafted Carl Nicks in that spot instead.

I agree with everyone you have ...but think that Legursky may also be on that list as a backup center and due to his being able to long-snap....(and I think we saw lst year that we NEED somone besides Harrison on the sideline who can step up in a pinch)

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree with everyone you have ...but think that Legursky may also be on that list as a backup center and due to his being able to long-snap....(and I think we saw lst year that we NEED somone besides Harrison on the sideline who can step up in a pinch)

I agree having a backup long snapper on the squad could be of value, but at this point I see Legursky as the #3 center behind Stapleton and Hartwig. I just have a hard time thinking the Steelers keep 3 natural centers on the active roster unless they keep 10 O linemen.

If they give up on Hills, it could happen that Essex and Capizzi are the backup OT's and Legursky, Urbik are the backup interior guys(starting 5 staying intact). :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I agree having a backup long snapper on the squad could be of value, but at this point I see Legursky as the #3 center behind Stapleton and Hartwig. I just have a hard time thinking the Steelers keep 3 natural centers on the active roster unless they keep 10 O linemen.

If they give up on Hills, it could happen that Essex and Capizzi are the backup OT's and Legursky, Urbik are the backup interior guys(starting 5 staying intact). :noidea:

I had also wondered if Essex might be kept on as a backup OT instead of OG...with Capizzi or Hills possibly being the man out....then Stapleton and Urbik as backup OG's...and Legursky as OC.

That would give a line with the flexibility of

Essex OT/OG
Stapleton OG/OC
Legursky OC/LS

Which actually makes some sense. I just have some hope that Capizzi might be able to take the next step. (Which still may be the case if Hills doesnt show us something)

pancake
08-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I had also wondered if Essex might be kept on as a backup OT instead of OG...with Capizzi or Hills possibly being the man out....then Stapleton and Urbik as backup OG's...and Legursky as OC.

That would give a line with the flexibility of

Essex OT/OG
Stapleton OG/OC
Legursky OC/LS

Which actually makes some sense. I just have some hope that Capizzi might be able to take the next step. (Which still may be the case if Hills doesnt show us something)

Where did we get Legursky from?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Where did we get Legursky from?

Undrafted Free Agent from Marshall.

Some (read LLT) were pimping him as a late round pick 2 drafts ago and got their wish that he became a Steeler.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24218

Steel5586
08-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Line stays intact until later in the season when Stapleton falters and Urbik steps in after some seasoning.....just my prediction.

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Urbik is smart, a quick study. I think he unseats Stapleton by the third preseason game.

SteelMember
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM
It seems that most of us agree, to some point, that the change centers around Stapleton. I really hope if Urbik can't supplant him from day one, that at the very least Essex will push him back to a reserve status.

I read today that Stapleton was held out of practice with water on his knee, and because Hartwig is still out with that toe injury, this is going to give some of these other guys some big opportunities to practice with the first team.

As far as Hills, The only thing I consistently read on him is how bad his technique is, and how bad he's getting beat. If they don't give him one more year on the PS, he could be gone.