PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Harley dealer killed in cycle accident

nojobny
08-01-2009, 07:30 PM
http://bikeweek.com/images/content/Bruce6.jpg

http://www.brucerossmeyer.com

Bruce Rossmeyer, the owner of what is billed as the largest Harley-Davidson dealership in the world, was killed today in Wyoming while riding with friends from the Harley dealer meetings in Colorado to Sturgis, South Dakota, the site of the Sturgis Rally, according to the Daytona News Journal.

Rossmeyer was 66 years old.

The Journal is reporting that a family friend of Rossmeyer's said he was riding in a group of several motorcyclists when they pulled out to pass a recreational vehicle. Rossmeyer was the last in line and was killed when the RV strayed into his lane and struck his motorcycle.

According to the Lt. Shawn Dickerson of the Wyoming Higway Patrol, Rossmeyer was traveling east on Wyoming Highway 28 between Farson and Lander about 11 a.m. with five other motorcyclists when they came up to a pickup pulling a camp trailer and tried to pass. "The pickup slowed and activated his left signal," Dickerson said. "Four of the motorcycles passed to the left... When Mr. Rossmeyer attempted to pass, the truck made its left turn and he hit the driver's side door. The sixth motorcycle swerved to the right and avoided collision."

Rossmeyer, who was not wearing a helmet, was ejected from his bike and came to rest under the camp trailer, Dickerson said.

Dickerson described the road as "straight, dry and flat." He said the "extremely rural road" is an option to Sturgis, but not the primary way to travel there.

After a career in the automobile business, Rossmeyer opened Daytona Harley-Davidson in January of 1994 and he followed that up with New Smyrna Harley-Davidson in 1997, Grand Junction Harley-Davidson in 1997, Ft. Lauderdale Harley-Davidson in 1998, Harley-Davidson of Pompano in 2002, and Aspen Valley Harley Davidson in 2002. In 2006, he opened another South Florida dealership, Sunrise Harley-Davidson, and Southern Thunder Harley-Davidson in Horn Lake, Mississippi.

Rossmeyer also is the developer of Destination Daytona and co-owner of two area auto dealerships in South Florida. His biggest dealership is also a sponsor of the Buell team that currently fields Danny Eslick in the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike class.

Rossmeyer is survived by his wife, Sandy, five children and nine grandchildren.

The following is from Richie Morris...

It is with heavy hearts and great regret that Richie Morris Racing announces the passing of long time friend and sponsor Bruce Rossmeyer. Rossmeyer died today while riding his motorcycle on the way to the Sturgis Rally and Races from the Harley-Davidson/Buell Summer Dealer Meeting in Denver.

"Bruce was first and foremost my friend," said Richie Morris. "He stood by me through the good and bad years. We have been partners in racing since 1994. The racing community just lost a loyal supporter and he will be greatly missed."

link (http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/industry-news/2009/07/30/bruce-rossmeyer-killed)

43Hitman
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
That's to bad. R.I.P. Rossmeyer.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2009, 08:52 AM
That is just a freak accident it was just his time to go. R.I.P. Rossmeyer

Fire Haley
08-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Life on the road with the donor cycles.

No disrespect - but if he's so "legendary" how come I never heard of him?

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Irony.