PDA

View Full Version : Any alcohol connoisseurs?

silver & black
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Does anyone here have a special affinity for a certain type of alcoholic beverage?

I'm a Scotch Whisky guy myself. I prefer good single malts. I also like my Bourbon... good Kentucky Straight, of course. Irish Whiskey is high on my list too.

What's your poison?

edited for spelling

MACH1
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm sorta partial to Snake Bites.

HometownGal
08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't imbibe often, but when I do, it's Stoley's and cranberry for me. :thumbsup: Occasionally, I'll drink a wine cooler, glass of blush Zinfandel, a Canadian beer or a Heineken.

cubanstogie
08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
sangria is my go to summer profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltertail, beer on the golf course, and makers mark and coke for a good stiff drink. I love cigars but haven't acquired the taste for scotch yet.

silver & black
08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
sangria is my go to summer profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltertail, beer on the golf course, and makers mark and coke for a good stiff drink. I love cigars but haven't acquired the taste for scotch yet.

Ah... Maker's Mark... good bourbon. Very sweet tasing, due to the fact they use strictly corn and wheat... no rye.

silver & black
08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I should have noted that I like my whisk(e)y neat, or with just a touch of water... not that I don't like mixed drinks, but my preference is staright up, as it is.

SteelersinCA
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
I like tequila and rum.

SteelCityMom
08-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Beer - Guiness, Yuengling or Red Stripe (when I can find it and splurge on it)

Wine/Champagne - Yellow Tail Merlot typically; Mimossa (preferably with Asti Spumanti)

Liquor/mixed drinks - Tequila is my poison here (Cabo, Patron, 1800, Mezcal; Cuervo for margaritas). I prefer it straight up though with a lemon (no salt) or with cranberry juice and a splash of lime.

MACH1
08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I like tequila and rum.

I used to like tekillya to in my younger days. Until I drank too much of it one night, and was sick for a couple of days.:doh: Now just the smell of it now turns my stomach.

tony hipchest
08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
went to a kegger last night and was doing shots of patron. its good stuff, but i really dont get the price or craze. im perfectly fine with a jose cuervo margarita.

i thought any type of whisky was candy in a bottle when i was a kid. absolutely loved it, to the point where i would challenge shot contests with adults.

jr high to high school my shit was shots of bacardi and MGD. after graduation it was southern comfort and orange cranberry tropicana twisters.

college was all about the dark beers and microbrews.

now its really all about the beer. something to be said about a nice refreshing carbonated soft drink. however, i was recently turned on to belvedere on the rocks with a twist of lime. i have found that i really like a good vodka and tonic with lime too. perfect summer beverage when youre a bit parched.

HTG- ive heard that ziffandel blush is "bottom of the barrel" but i absolutely love it. not too dry... perfectly sweet. that or some rose vin does me just fine.

SteelersinCA
08-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I used to like tekillya to in my younger days. Until I drank too much of it one night, and was sick for a couple of days.:doh: Now just the smell of it now turns my stomach.

Yeah, I'm starting to lose my taste for it as well. I'd take captain private stock over most tequilas any day. I'm also developing an aversion to Grey Goose and tonic like Tony.

JackHammer
08-03-2009, 02:12 AM
I like good beer of the Microbrew variety and other off centered types of beer. I like a lot of the Sam Adams varieties, Dogfish Head Brewery, Lancaster Brewing's Amish Four Grain Pale Ale is good. Victory Brewing is a PA brewery that makes a really good Belgian Tripel Ale. It's 9.5% abv and tastes more like 6%. One of my favorites. I love a good Oktoberfest(Festbier) and Wheat beer too. I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to beer, but it has to be big on taste and 6% abv or stronger(there are exceptions below 6% though). I try to never get the same case twice in a row. I like to mix it up. As far as liquor goes. Irish Whiskey ftw!!!! Tullamore Dew 12 Year!!! Being part Italian and having lots of 100% Italian relatives, I've been known to put down some good red wine too :chuckle:

SCSTILLER
08-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Me, I am a beer nut! I love a good India Pale Ale, and one of my favorites is Longhammer IPA from Red Hook Brewery. Also, Arrogant Bastard (albeit only a form of Pale Ale) is also delicious. I enjoy a good microbrew, and if anyone is in Charleston visiting they have to give Coast beers a try. Not sold in stores, only at select restaurants. Like JackHammer said, Victory is a great brewery in Downingtown (outside Philly) and they have many delicious brews. I love the seasonals also, and as the temperature changes so does the selection at my local beer store, gotta love it!

Like my sig says.....................

silver & black
08-03-2009, 06:19 AM
My preference in the beer/ale catagory is micro brew all the way. Sam Adams and Great Lakes offerings... Paulaner, Samuel Smith, Brooklyn Lager, etc...

I'm partial to the darker, heavier stuff most of the time, but I like some of the lighter stuff from time to time too.

silver & black
08-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Do any of you get into the history of your favorite alcohol? I'm kind of a nerd for the history and lore behind Scotch and Bourbon... some intersting history there.

HometownGal
08-03-2009, 06:46 AM

I'm the same way with whiskey. I used to drink 7 & 7's and I got schnockered one night years ago and got deathly sick for 24 hours and after that, just looking at it makes my stomach turn. :yuck:

revefsreleets
08-03-2009, 08:53 AM
I love beer...it's been postulated that the migration of the earliest civilizations to fertile ground was so they could raise crops necessary to make beer.

Get in mah belly, beer!

http://www.gabbyattic.com/truepix/fat%20bastard.jpg

SteelCityMom
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Do any of you get into the history of your favorite alcohol? I'm kind of a nerd for the history and lore behind Scotch and Bourbon... some intersting history there.

Yeah, I always found the history of Tequila and Mezcal to be interesting. For years I always just thought tequila was tequila and that Mezcal was just another brand of tequila. Mezcal basically just refers to any agave-based distilled liquors that are not tequila (a mezcal variant allowed to be made only from the blue agave plant, usually in the town of Tequila). Many mezcal's are named after the municipality they are made in or the type of agave plant being used.

Also, many people associate "drinking the worm" with tequila, but the use of the worm is exclusive to mezcal, since the Mexican standards authority prohibits adding insects or larvae to tequila.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Ugh...I majored in alcohol in college with a minor in bad "white-guy dancing". To this day, when someone even mentions Tequila...I shiver and throw up in my mouth a little.:uhh:

SteelCityMom
08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Ugh...I majored in alcohol in college with a minor in bad "white-guy dancing". To this day, when someone even mentions Tequila...I shiver and throw up in my mouth a little.:uhh:

:laughing: Bad white-guy dancing. Yeah, that's how I feel about rum and whiskey...had bad nights with both of those. I can't handle the smell of either. "The liquor that must not be named" has never done me wrong though, it goes through me like water for some reason.

MACH1
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Beer, did somebody say beer. :laughing:

Michelob, Heineken and of course good micro brews.

vasteeler
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
not a huge drinker i hate the taste of alcohol but i do like the effects so from time to time i drink Bushmills Irish whisky but only by the shot

Indo
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Beer-----I'll drink any, but I prefer dark

Wine---reds, especially the "Super-tuscan" wines--Barolo and Barbaresco. Also like Cabs

Scotch----and here I agree with Silver & Black----they must be straight ("neat") and, preferably in a snifter. NEVER "scotch on the rocks" or "Dewar's (shiite)/rocks" that the Neanderthals drink

Black and Silver, and anyone else who may be interested...

check this out (I'm a member)

http://www.smwsa.com/

stlrtruck
08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I've always been good with a lil Capt' N Coke

Steelerstrength
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Tequila is my drink of pleasure! I host Tequila Tasting at my home with Flamenco Guitarist, gourmet Mexican Food (without the Manteca), and at least 8 fine Tequilas!

We rate each Tequila for the following categories:

Aroma - Nose
Initial Taste
Body
Finish
Smoothness
Price
Presentation

Then tabulate the scores for a total, and send the final spreadsheet to the participants at a later date.

We usually have one Silver Tequila, but mostly Anejo (aged) Tequila. Anejo is the golden brown Tequila that has been aged in Oak Barrels for a minimum of 3 years. It is made for sipping out of a snifter, or glass similar to cognac. This is not the less costly "Jose Cuervo" type that is sold in jugs with a handle. These Fine Tequilas arrive in various ways including Oak Boxes with Crystal bottles, porcelain bottles with gold-leaf hand painted art, hand-blown glass, etc.

Here is a list of my personal Top 8:

1. Tie: Don Julio Real Anejo, Casa Noble Anejo (5 year) (This is my house Tequila)
3. Cabo Uno Anejo (Yes, this is Sammy Hagars finest, and it's damn good!)
4. Herradurra Seleccion Suprema Anejo
5. Aha Toro Anejo (Only $37! We could only find in Mexico)
6. Corzo Anejo (Simple artistic bottle with great pouring shelf)
7. Farias (It comes in a glass barrel and sits on a wooden platform!)
8. Patron Platinum (Sweet Oak Box and Crystal Bottle bottle! But, overpriced as all Patron at $229)

Here is a photo of one of our first Tequila Nights. We definitely had too many on that night!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb44/gauchostrength/DSC00716.jpg

SteelCityMom
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Tequila is my drink of pleasure! I host Tequila Tasting at my home with Flamenco Guitarist, gourmet Mexican Food (without the Manteca), and at least 8 fine Tequilas!

Aroma - Nose
Initial Taste
Body
Finish
Smoothness
Price
Presentation

Then tabulate the scores for a total, and send the final spreadsheet to the participants at a later date.

We usually have one Silver Tequila, but mostly Anejo (aged) Tequila. Anejo is the golden brown Tequila that has been aged in Oak Barrels for a minimum of 3 years. It is made for sipping out of a snifter, or glass similar to cognac. This is not the less costly "Jose Cuervo" type that is sold in jugs with a handle. These Fine Tequilas arrive in various ways including Oak Boxes with Crystal bottles, porcelain bottles with gold-leaf hand painted art, hand-blown glass, etc.

1. Tie: Don Julio Real Anejo, Casa Noble Anejo (5 year) (This is my house Tequila)
8. Patron Platinum (Sweet Oak Box and Crystal Bottle bottle! But, overpriced as all Patron at $229)

Mmm...that sounds like a good time! I've only had the Cabo and the Corzo before and have only been able to glare longingly at a bottle of the Patron Platinum in a liquor store once lol. I'm not a big fan of silver tequila myself, unless I'm using it for a mixed drink. It just doesn't have the same flavor that I like. I'm taking note of some of these though, and hopefully will be able to try them someday (hopefully sooner than later!).

silver & black
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I always found the history of Tequila and Mezcal to be interesting. For years I always just thought tequila was tequila and that Mezcal was just another brand of tequila. Mezcal basically just refers to any agave-based distilled liquors that are not tequila (a mezcal variant allowed to be made only from the blue agave plant, usually in the town of Tequila). Many mezcal's are named after the municipality they are made in or the type of agave plant being used.

Also, many people associate "drinking the worm" with tequila, but the use of the worm is exclusive to mezcal, since the Mexican standards authority prohibits adding insects or larvae to tequila.

Cool. Here's a little something for you that I found on one of the Bourbon forums I go to.

Jose Cuervo is the world’s oldest maker of tequila, with 10 generations of Cuervo family members running the place for the last 250 years. Jose Cuervo actually predates Mexico — a reproduction of the Spanish land grant for the original Cuervo agave plantation actually accompanies this special edition bottle of tequila.

To honor 250 years of history, Cuervo is releasing this on November 2. It’s made with a blend of 5-, 10-, 15-, and 20-year-old anejo tequilas, plus a selection of blanco tequila uncovered in the Cuervo cellars that had been stored there for 100 years. That blanco was aged for three years in oak barrels before mixing with the rest of the tequilas in the blend. Finally, the entire blend was aged a second time in sherry casks for an extra 10 months.

The resulting elixir is put into a hand-blown decanter and a custom box which you probably won’t want to ever open, since it costs $2,250. 495 bottles were made.

silver & black
08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
not a huge drinker i hate the taste of alcohol but i do like the effects so from time to time i drink Bushmills Irish whisky but only by the shot

Bushmills is pretty good stuff. I prefer Jameson 12 year old or Tullamore Dew 12 year old over Bushmills though.

silver & black
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Wine---reds, especially the "Super-tuscan" wines--Barolo and Barbaresco. Also like Cabs

Scotch----and here I agree with Silver & Black----they must be straight ("neat") and, preferably in a snifter. NEVER "scotch on the rocks" or "Dewar's (shiite)/rocks" that the Neanderthals drink

Thanks for the link... I didn't know about that one. Here's one for you... I'm a member there.

http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/DR_IsleOfIslay_EN.shtml

theplatypus
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Irish Whiskey= Tullamore Dew. Oh my lord that stuff is smooth
Single Malts= Nothing beats the Macallan

silver & black
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Steelerstrength;633484]Tequila is my drink of pleasure! I host Tequila Tasting at my home with Flamenco Guitarist, gourmet Mexican Food (without the Manteca), and at least 8 fine Tequilas!

Aroma - Nose
Initial Taste
Body
Finish
Smoothness
Price
Presentation

Nice! You are into Tequila like I'm into Scotch and Bourbon. I was starting to think I was the only one here that was into it to that extent. :sofunny:

silver & black
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Irish Whiskey= Tullamore Dew. Oh my lord that stuff is smooth
Single Malts= Nothing beats the Macallan

Tullamore Dew is probably my favorite of the Irish whiskies, although, Jameson doesn't suck...LOL.

As for Scotch...Macallan 12 is what I drink most of the time. I do have a bottle of 18 that I take a small dram from when I've been very good!:wink02:

Other Scotches that I have in my collection are: Highland Park 12 and 15, Ardmore, Oban 14, Old Pulteney, Talisker, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, The Balvenie, Laphroaig, and Glenlivit 15.

Are you a Bourbon fan at all?

Texasteel
08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I normally drink JD, but really like most Canadian Whiskeys. Use to drink a lot of Scotch. I also like to put a shot of JD in my beer.

SteelersinCA
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Mine:

1. Cabo Wabo Anejo
2. Cuervo Reserva de la Familia
3. Asombroso Anejo
4. Porfidio Anejo
5. Quatro Copas
6. Patron Silver
7. Cabo Wabo Silver

beSteelmyheart
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
A 6-pack of Busch beer & a pack of cigarettes & I'm good to go!:chuckle:

lilyoder6
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
has anyone tried grand marnier???

SteelersinCA
08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I use it as a float in margaritas.

MACH1
08-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Good stuff!

Steelerstrength
08-03-2009, 09:56 PM

If you're into margaritas, try this:

"Billionaire Margarita"
2 oz. Casa Noble Anejo
1 oz. Grand Marnier 150 year "Cent Cinquantenaire"
1 oz. Fresh lime juice

Shaken over ice

It will kick your ass!

tony hipchest
08-03-2009, 11:13 PM
great info!

i finally tried some of that uber rare numbered bottled scotch that a relative won in a golf tourney a few years back. gotta admit, it went down much smoother than a shot of beam.

finally had a cabo wabo margarita last year. it was good,

i have a bottle of reserva antigua 1800 anajo my brother picked me up in juarez. how does that rate?

i get jagermeister for $11/ liter so i always have a bottle in the freezer. love it on ice with coke but usually just take a chug out of the bottle.

i also bought a bottle of lemoncello recently. (vodka lemon drops are just as good).

its definitely nice to swig out of an ice cold bottle. ive been adding it to margaritas. i bet it would be great with tonic on a hot summer day.

interesting tequila tidbit- i went to niagra falls in 2000 when a bottle of cuervo was $95 (a US dollar would buy you 1.5 canadian bucks then).

the same bottle was $5 just a short hop away in juarez, when i arrived home.

oh what a difference 2 boarders makes.

"Billionaire Margarita"
2 oz. Casa Noble Anejo
1 oz. Fresh lime juice

Shaken over ice

It will kick your ass!

as for party margaritas, the secret ingredients are the powdered sugar, beer, and egg whites.

SteelersinCA
08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
as for party margaritas, the secret ingredients are the powdered sugar, beer, and egg whites.

This right here may be the smartest thing I have read of yours on this board. Powdered sugar for margaritas is the bomb! :drink:

JackHammer
08-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Tullamore Dew is probably my favorite of the Irish whiskies, although, Jameson doesn't suck...LOL.

As for Scotch...Macallan 12 is what I drink most of the time. I do have a bottle of 18 that I take a small dram from when I've been very good!:wink02:

Other Scotches that I have in my collection are: Highland Park 12 and 15, Ardmore, Oban 14, Old Pulteney, Talisker, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, The Balvenie, Laphroaig, and Glenlivit 15.

Don't know if you've ever seen Three Sheets, a show about drinking in other countries. Here is the Scotland episode. (http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Three+Sheets+scotland) It's a nice scotch lovers episode. You can skip ahead to about 5:35 minutes into it if you don't want to watch him buying a kilt.

X-Terminator
08-04-2009, 06:04 AM
For beer, Molson XXX is my favorite. Good and strong. I'm also partial to Sam Adams Boston Lager (the only thing out of New Cheatland* that I can stand :wink02:)

For mixed drinks, I like Long Island Ice Tea or a simple Captain N' Coke.

lilyoder6
08-04-2009, 08:08 AM

"Billionaire Margarita"
2 oz. Casa Noble Anejo
1 oz. Fresh lime juice

Shaken over ice

It will kick your ass!

i will def have to try that next time

last sat night.. i had a bartender make a jolly rancher... i can't remember all the types of alcohol in it.. but it was pretty good... actually tasted like a watermelon rancher

vasteeler
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Bushmills is pretty good stuff. I prefer Jameson 12 year old or Tullamore Dew 12 year old over Bushmills though.

i agree but Bushmills is only $24 a bottle:thumbsup:

silver & black
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
i agree but Bushmills is only $24 a bottle:thumbsup:

Unless you buy Bushmills "Black Bush"... that's right up there with Jameson 12 and Tullamore Dew 12 in price... and still not as good, IMO.

theplatypus
08-04-2009, 08:13 PM

I drink some Bourbon. But I'll take a good single malt over bourbon. My favorite bourbon is probably Basil Hayden(sp?).

tony hipchest
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
This right here may be the smartest thing I have read of yours on this board. Powdered sugar for margaritas is the bomb! :drink:

lol. im one who believes any margarita is a good margarita (even the 5 squeezed limes and a ghetto shot of tequilla the dives in juarez will serve you), but there is a definite difference between a great margarita and the best margarita EVER and i feel it has nothing to do with the brand of tokillya.

i havent even tried my recipe yet with triple sec. im sure it cant hurt. all i know is ive turned plenty of parties out.

the powdered sugar not only assists the other ingredients with a certain icy frothiness but negates a bit of the tartness and it allows for the addition of more tequila to negate the sweetness.

my margaritas have a perfect balance of sweet, tart, salt, and alcohol. of course people gett pretty jacked up as you can pretty much dump as much tequilia in it as you want.

KeiselPower99
08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Im a beer drinker. Killians Rolling Rock Guiness and Boddingtons. Vodka and Sierra Mist is a favorite of mine as well.

SteelersinCA
08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
lol. im one who believes any margarita is a good margarita (even the 5 squeezed limes and a ghetto shot of tequilla the dives in juarez will serve you), but there is a definite difference between a great margarita and the best margarita EVER and i feel it has nothing to do with the brand of tokillya.

i havent even tried my recipe yet with triple sec. im sure it cant hurt. all i know is ive turned plenty of parties out.

the powdered sugar not only assists the other ingredients with a certain icy frothiness but negates a bit of the tartness and it allows for the addition of more tequila to negate the sweetness.

my margaritas have a perfect balance of sweet, tart, salt, and alcohol. of course people gett pretty jacked up as you can pretty much dump as much tequilia in it as you want.

I prefer just tequila, grand ma, lime juice and powdered sugar. Triple Sec works but I like the fresh lime.

Vincent
08-05-2009, 11:03 AM

I'm partial to the "national beverage" myself but at my advanced age, only enjoy the malt on very special occasions. That said, my favorite single is the humble Tamdhu, from a very small Speyside still founded in the late 1800s. They produce enough to be a component of the Famous Grouse, Scotland's favorite blend. Plenty of tFG around, but Tamdhu is hard to find as most of the production goes to the blend. Name means "dark little hill".

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/vinnyq/Tamdhusig.jpg

Oban is my second favorite. From a delightful little town on the West coast of Argyll. The still was built in 1794. Name means little bay.

Been near Tamdhu but couldn't find it. Been to Oban.

Steelerstrength
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I prefer just tequila, grand ma, lime juice and powdered sugar. Triple Sec works but I like the fresh lime.

Just the Tequila for me, please!

If you drink cheap Tequila you will definitely feel that way the next day! Come on T! Who puts egg whites in a Margarita? :laughing: I guess if you're lit enough that anything goes! :tt03: I like crazy!

To cleanse the pallet between Tequila Tasting, we use a slice of mandarin orange. It works very well! And, it brings out the sweetness of the Agave.

silver & black
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm partial to the "national beverage" myself but at my advanced age, only enjoy the malt on very special occasions. That said, my favorite single is the humble Tamdhu, from a very small Speyside still founded in the late 1800s. They produce enough to be a component of the Famous Grouse, Scotland's favorite blend. Plenty of tFG around, but Tamdhu is hard to find as most of the production goes to the blend. Name means "dark little hill".

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/vinnyq/Tamdhusig.jpg

Oban is my second favorite. From a delightful little town on the West coast of Argyll. The still was built in 1794. Name means little bay.

Been near Tamdhu but couldn't find it. Been to Oban.

Nice. I've heard of Tamdhu... even tried to find it a few times. Is it like a typical Speyside... light in peat and smoke... slightly sweet? What is it aged in... bourbon or sherry casks? I'm not a big fan of Oban. Maybe it's because I've only tried the 14 year that I can get locally. I find it to have a medicinal quality that I can't get past.. I should give it another try... sometimes things taste differntly with a second or third tasting..

Vincent
08-09-2009, 10:25 AM

GM is just dandy. So is B&B. So is Drambuie. So is Drambuie and (pick your) Scotch.

Black Tartan
Ingredients:
1 part Johnnie Walker Black whisky
1 part Irish whisky
1 part Drambuie
1 1/2 part Kahlua
Shake with ice and strain over ice. But drink responsibly. :rofl::toofunny::drink:

I once had a "colleague" that drank double Gran Mariniers chased by a Sam Adams. I kid you not. Round after round, every night. Stupid drunk, every night. Not to mention the expense, what a disgusting "pairing"

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Just the Tequila for me, please!

If you drink cheap Tequila you will definitely feel that way the next day! Come on T! Who puts egg whites in a Margarita? :laughing: I guess if you're lit enough that anything goes! :tt03: I like crazy!

To cleanse the pallet between Tequila Tasting, we use a slice of mandarin orange. It works very well! And, it brings out the sweetness of the Agave.

:chuckle:

ok... i need some input. ive done shots of patron the past few parties i been to, and finally bought a bottle of cabo wabo reposado to kinda do a compare contrast. (and no, i wont be mixing any of it with eggs or powdered sugar- although the mandarin chaser wedge sounds interresting)

can you give a breakdown on each and what you think?

hindes204
08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
MY FAVORITE....DUH....IRON CITY BEER IN MASS QUANTITIES

Just kidding...Im a big fan of Dos Equis...Or a nice Black and Tan from the bar

And you can never go wrong with crown and coke.

My wife does the wine thing which i have picked up in the past few years...I enjoy a high quality Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio

OH YEA.....AND YEAGER BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelerstrength
08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
:chuckle:

ok... i need some input. ive done shots of patron the past few parties i been to, and finally bought a bottle of cabo wabo reposado to kinda do a compare contrast. (and no, i wont be mixing any of it with eggs or powdered sugar- although the mandarin chaser wedge sounds interresting)

can you give a breakdown on each and what you think?

Anything for you T!

Patron shots are usually done with Silver. It is distilled, then put out to market. It is light in flavor and in color. The aroma is mostly alcohol, with a slight hint of citrus. The initial taste almost the same as the body, and the finish, is light & crisp. Maybe a hint of black pepper, but not much. Over priced, but a very nice presentation!

Personally I don't mind this for mixed drinks, and if it is the Top Shelf of the restaurant, I am not unhappy. Smooth for shots as well! But, it's like drinking light beer as opposed to a full-bodied dark beer. A good Tequila.

Cabo Wabo Reposado has received very good ratings and reviews. Although in my opinion reposado is only for mixed drinks. Reposado tequila is distilled, then aged for 3 to 12 months in Oak Barrels, thus the light golden color. Cabo Wabo Reposado has an aroma of spice and smoke/wood. The initial taste is also hints of spice and just a tad of fruit, followed by a caramel and wood body, then a slightly bitter finish. The price is decent, with a nice Blue bottle for presentation.

Again, great for mixed drinks!

FYI, Anejo Tequila is the way to go for sipping. Anejo is aged in Oak Barrells for 3 to 5 years! Thus the heavy oak/wood/smokey aromas and flavors. It is mush more expensive, for the good stuff, but sometimes you can find a gem! (Aha Toro Anejo)

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Anything for you T!

Patron shots are usually done with Silver. It is distilled, then put out to market. It is light in flavor and in color. The aroma is mostly alcohol, with a slight hint of citrus. The initial taste almost the same as the body, and the finish, is light & crisp. Maybe a hint of black pepper, but not much. Over priced, but a very nice presentation!

Personally I don't mind this for mixed drinks, and if it is the Top Shelf of the restaurant, I am not unhappy. Smooth for shots as well! But, it's like drinking light beer as opposed to a full-bodied dark beer. A good Tequila.

Cabo Wabo Reposado has received very good ratings and reviews. Although in my opinion reposado is only for mixed drinks. Reposado tequila is distilled, then aged for 3 to 12 months in Oak Barrels, thus the light golden color. Cabo Wabo Reposado has an aroma of spice and smoke/wood. The initial taste is also hints of spice and just a tad of fruit, followed by a caramel and wood body, then a slightly bitter finish. The price is decent, with a nice Blue bottle for presentation.

Again, great for mixed drinks!

FYI, Anejo Tequila is the way to go for sipping. Anejo is aged in Oak Barrells for 3 to 5 years! Thus the heavy oak/wood/smokey aromas and flavors. It is mush more expensive, for the good stuff, but sometimes you can find a gem! (Aha Toro Anejo)thanks. i have a bottle of 1800 reserva antiqua anejo i have been nursing for about 4 years and i will be sure not to mix it.

also got a bottle of el jimador that was given as a gift. i thought it was just some generic brand until i saw the price here in the states recently. of course, i got several half pints packed in a box somewhere with the worm, that defeinitely arent "high shelf".

w/o your insight, i may have been sipping the reposado and pissing away the anejo in a mixer. :drink:

oh, and thats what i thought about the patron.... kinda weak. i like silver shots and they were good, but theyre not too tuff. as far as flavor goes it kinda reminds me of the difference of a shot of bacardi silver :yummy: vs. bacardi 151 :yummy:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
08-18-2009, 03:12 AM

I am right there with you. What made it worse was I got sick off the cheapest of the cheap stuff. I get sick by the smell too.

Beer: Yuengling, Black and Tans, Guinness, Tommyknockers Oaked Bock, Old Rasputin (High Gravity RULES, we just got it here in Bama:drink:)... Just bought a six pack of Rock Lite, that stuff is NASTY!

Bourbon: any Jim Beam, especially Red Stag

Cawktails (lol :flap:) : Rum (Admiral Nelsons FTW!) and Coke, Jeremiah Weed (sweet tea vodka, guess it counts), Gin and Tonic, Mojito, Jager Bombs, and my favorite White Russians (learned it from The Dude!)

I'm not very learned on how to build a liquor cabinet on beer money. Any tips?

SCSTILLER
08-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Beer: Yuengling, Black and Tans, Guinness, Tommyknockers Oaked Bock, Old Rasputin (High Gravity RULES, we just got it here in Bama:drink:)... Just bought a six pack of Rock Lite, that stuff is NASTY!

Yeah, we just got High Gravity beers here in SC a little over a year ago, and i have been trying them all. We also got Fat Tire Ale from New Belgium Brewery in Colorado, and boy do I love it. I used to pick up a case or two when I was out west, now I can enjoy it anytime I want.

Just tried a Sierra Nevada Anniversary brew this weekend, good stuff. I think it was an IPA, but didn't read the bottle.

OK, this is bad, it is 7:15 am and me thinking about beer has me craving one now. Would this be a sign?

JackHammer
08-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Just got done drinking my very first Southampton Double White Ale. (http://www.southamptonpublickhouse.com/the-beers/default.aspx) It's basically a Belgian style Witbier with double the normal gravity(as the description in the link says.). Excellent beer that weighs in at about 6.6-7.0% abv. YUM :tt03:

JackHammer
09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Ok, this one is pretty much for the Pittsburghers here, and people who might be in town for a game or whatever other reason. This beer can't be found in many places outside of Pittsburgh. East End Brewery: http://www.eastendbrewing.com/ It's an interesting thing that they have going on over there. They don't have a license to serve drinks like a bar does but, as a brewery, they're allowed to sell bottles to the general public. For four days every week they have "Growler Hours" which is when they fill growlers(1/2 Gal), at the brewery, for the public and also sell bottled beers(1L flip tops) and barley wines(750ml bottles).

So I finally checked it out today and got two growlers of the Big Hop IPA. They happen to be serving a few of their styles with 4-5 fresh hops in the bottle and I got some in both of my BH IPA's. This is a GREAT beer for anyone who likes Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA, or any good IPA for that matter, and the fresh hops give it a real kick too!! Oh, and it's about as fresh as you can get beer too :thumbsup: I also got a 1L bottle of Smokestack Heritage Porter, but haven't tried it yet. I'll post again when I do.

Anyways, if you live in Pittsburgh visiting this brewery is a MUST. I like to support the local guys and, as it stands now, East End Brewing is the only real brewery(not brewpub) operating in the city of Pittsburgh. So they're getting my support. The best part is that they make great beer. If you can't go to the brewery, they're on tap at a lot of places around town.

theplatypus
09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, we just got High Gravity beers here in SC a little over a year ago, and i have been trying them all. We also got Fat Tire Ale from New Belgium Brewery in Colorado, and boy do I love it. I used to pick up a case or two when I was out west, now I can enjoy it anytime I want.

Just tried a Sierra Nevada Anniversary brew this weekend, good stuff. I think it was an IPA, but didn't read the bottle.

OK, this is bad, it is 7:15 am and me thinking about beer has me craving one now. Would this be a sign?

Here are a couple to keep an eye open for. My recomendations will mostly be for Stouts, Russian Imperial Stouts since those are my favorites.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid- nice double ipa (yes, it's spelled stoopid)
Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster
Left Hand Milk Stout
Lagunitas Imperial Stout
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout- This might be the best beer on the planet
Lion Stout- From Sri Llanka, outstanding
Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout- Very good Japanese stout. I tried their milk stout as well, sadly it wasn't nearly as good.
Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck Russian Imperial Stout. I'm generally not a fan of this brewery, but they made an awesome beer with this one.
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Very good double IPA

If you're ever in Atlanta check out HopCity. 1200 beers to choose from. Their keg list is 10 pages long.

Life is short, drink good beer.

SCSTILLER
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Here are a couple to keep an eye open for. My recomendations will mostly be for Stouts, Russian Imperial Stouts since those are my favorites.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid- nice double ipa (yes, it's spelled stoopid)
Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster
Left Hand Milk Stout
Lagunitas Imperial Stout
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout- This might be the best beer on the planet
Lion Stout- From Sri Llanka, outstanding
Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout- Very good Japanese stout. I tried their milk stout as well, sadly it wasn't nearly as good.
Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck Russian Imperial Stout. I'm generally not a fan of this brewery, but they made an awesome beer with this one.
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Very good double IPA

If you're ever in Atlanta check out HopCity. 1200 beers to choose from. Their keg list is 10 pages long.

Life is short, drink good beer.

Thanks, Iw ill keep an eye out for the ones that I haven't had yet. I do like Lion Stout, good stuff. Just had an Avery Oktoberfest, delicious if you can get it. Also, Victory brewing company has a new one out that is like a Pale Ale but with a leathery finish, sounds sick but very good. It is called wild devil. Their Storm King Stout is impressive also.

hindes204
09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
mmmmmmmmmm...............i miss beer

JackHammer
09-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks, Iw ill keep an eye out for the ones that I haven't had yet. I do like Lion Stout, good stuff. Just had an Avery Oktoberfest, delicious if you can get it. Also, Victory brewing company has a new one out that is like a Pale Ale but with a leathery finish, sounds sick but very good. It is called wild devil. Their Storm King Stout is impressive also.

I'm a big fan of Golden Monkey from Victory :drink:

Galax Steeler
09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I am a Bud Light man.

theplatypus
09-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I am a Bud Light man.

Drinking Bud Light is like screwing in a canoe, close to water.

Galax Steeler
09-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Drinking Bud Light is like screwing in a canoe, close to water.

:toofunny:

KeiselPower99
09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Went to Sams Club today and found my favorite beer and walked around carrying the case while the wife pushed the buggy . So without further delay........http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/samuel-adams-octoberfest.gif

tony hipchest
09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
mmm. i really like sam adams and petes wicked but have never seen the sammy's oktoberfest. i'll have to keep an eye out. :mg:

the german air force always has paulaner oktoberfest here which is absolutely DEE-LISH. one year they brought in shiner bock from TX which sucked when youre used to the paulaner.

you can get completely shitfaced with absolutely no puking or hang-over.

SCSTILLER
09-10-2009, 06:59 AM
mmm. i really like sam adams and petes wicked but have never seen the sammy's oktoberfest. i'll have to keep an eye out. :mg:

the german air force always has paulaner oktoberfest here which is absolutely DEE-LISH. one year they brought in shiner bock from TX which sucked when youre used to the paulaner.

you can get completely shitfaced with absolutely no puking or hang-over.

MMMM, I love Paulaner Oktoberfest. Spent alot of time in Germany when I was on flying status. fell in love with German beers, huge Heifeweizen fan. Also had a beer mix over there that sounds gross but is delicious, it is called Cola-beer. Take a standard weizen glass (the tall ones), fill it 3/4 to the top with chrystal weizen, then top it off with Coke. Surprisingly really good.

Saw an Ayinger Oktoberfest in the store the other day and decided to give it a try. It is delicious, nice and smooth with a subtle spice for an aftertaste. Give it a try if you can find it.

IamTheSteelGod
09-10-2009, 09:38 AM
http://www.knightsoftheroundbellies.com/images/newcastle-brown-ale.jpg

Enough said, and Clint Eastwoods favourite drink I here! :-)

KeiselPower99
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.knightsoftheroundbellies.com/images/newcastle-brown-ale.jpg

Enough said, and Clint Eastwoods favourite drink I here! :-)

Thats a good one right there. Anyone ever try this stuff called Boddingtons Pub Ale? I bought it one night and it was kinda creamy but was good.http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Vonstans/boddingtons-pub-ale.jpg

SCSTILLER
09-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Thats a good one right there. Anyone ever try this stuff called Boddingtons Pub Ale? I bought it one night and it was kinda creamy but was good.http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Vonstans/boddingtons-pub-ale.jpg

Boddingtons is a great beer. it is almost a meal replacement drink it is so thick, but nice and smooth

IamTheSteelGod
09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Boddies! lol, very popular in Britain that. + Its made only down the road from me.

http://www.weinstuble.com/cervej11.jpg thats a lovely drink! You get that in the States?

+

http://jhota.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/hobgoblin.jpg

+

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm295/thebrewclub/OldPeculier-1.jpg

All English jems! :hatsoff:

KeiselPower99
09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Hobgoblin. Just the name makes me want one.

IamTheSteelGod
09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Lovely stuff that, expensive over here never mind in the States. £3.00 + a bottle I dont know how many $ that is.

Shellshock
09-29-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't drink it for the taste so I will drink anything.

SCSTILLER
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Lovely stuff that, expensive over here never mind in the States. £3.00 + a bottle I dont know how many $ that is.

Yeah, the store we buy Hobgoblin at sells it for about $5.00 a bottle, but it is worth it in my mind.

Anyone try the New Belgium Hoptoberfest yet? It is delicious, much better than Sam Adams Oktoberfest beers in my mind.

Also had a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra India Pale Ale or even seen it? If you are a fan of IPA's, you will love this. Extremely hoppy, nice smooth aftertaste, but very filling! :drink:

SCSTILLER
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
SteelGod,

When I was in Mildenhall (north of Cambridge) with the Air Force I fell in love with Green King Pale Ales. Don't know if you have that in your neck of the woods, but I was definitely a big fan of it.

Also had this Ale while at a pub in Cambridge that was poured directly out of a wooden cask that was on the bar. Wish I could remember the name of it, it was delicious, expensive, and very strong. I had to walk around town for about 5 hours to wear it off before I could drive back to Mildenhall.

KeiselPower99
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Is it illegal to ship beer from England to America?

SCSTILLER
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM
mmmmmmmmmm, Dog Fish Head "About this Stout" for all you dark beer lovers out there. I had to dig up this old thread for this, it is that good.

MACH1
11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Think I'll go back to good ole Bud after today. And lots of it.

SteelCityMom
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Think I'll go back to good ole Bud after today. And lots of it.

I'm thinking a good old bottle of Jose and Animal House followed by Beerfest is in order tonight! After the child goes to bed of course. :chuckle:

SCSTILLER
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking a good old bottle of Jose and Animal House followed by Beerfest is in order tonight! After the child goes to bed of course. :chuckle:

Awww, come on, a little Bud in the bottle never hurt a kid :wink02:

cubanstogie
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM

how about a little Das Boot.

GoSlash27
11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I met a girl on Halloween who's tried to get me into wine tasting, but so far no dice; apparently my tastebuds are lowbrow.
I do like a good sipping tequila. Cabo Wabo is the shiznit :D :tt02:

SteelCityMom
11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
how about a little Das Boot.

Hehe..."I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

SteelCityMom
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Awww, come on, a little Bud in the bottle never hurt a kid :wink02:

Haha, I had her smell beer once and she told me I was disgusting lol.

I remember my mom giving me tiny shots of whiskey when I was a kid though...no wonder I turned out so normal!

SCSTILLER
11-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Haha, I had her smell beer once and she told me I was disgusting lol.

I remember my mom giving me tiny shots of whiskey when I was a kid though...no wonder I turned out so normal!

I didn't know it at the time but when I was young my grandfather would always pour a little whiskey in my hot tea when him and I would go to the ball games. I think he did it to put me to sleep on the drive home so I wouldn't bother him :chuckle:

If there are any Magic Hat beer lovers out there, their new Winter Fest Howl is delicious. Stay away from their Christmas beer, smells and tastes like I just walked into Bath and Body Works.

theplatypus
02-27-2010, 07:26 PM
For you hop heads out there Victory's Hop Wallop is a fine beverage.

steelerdude15
02-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Coke and Rum :thumbsup:

Vincent
02-27-2010, 08:09 PM

Whoa! Mine did too. My Mother used to put whiskey on our gums when we were teething. I loved that dear woman. The first belt of whiskey I had was the most natural thing in the world.

This must be why kids are so @#$%ed up any more. No whiskey. :chuckle:

silver & black
02-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I forgot all about this thread...lol. I do love my whisk(e)y. I can't say I ever tasted one that was so bad I would spit it out...lol.

Scotch whisky is my weakness... I do love a wee dram of the Ischabaha (water of life). I also have a great affinity for our very own, uniquely American whiskey known as Straight Bourbon... which does NOT have to be made in Kentucky, contrary to popular belief. And I can't leave out the Irish...lol. Irish whisk(e)y is another favorite... a little dram of Red Breast on a cold night does a fellow good!

Slainte Mhath (good health to you)

Galax Steeler
02-28-2010, 08:51 AM
I forgot all about this thread...lol. I do love my whisk(e)y. I can't say I ever tasted one that was so bad I would spit it out...lol.

I guess you have never tried Military special it totally sucks. I bought some the last time I was in Pittsburgh at the army reserve base. I will not buy any more.:eek:

silver & black
02-28-2010, 08:57 AM
I guess you have never tried Military special it totally sucks. I bought some the last time I was in Pittsburgh at the army reserve base. I will not buy any more.:eek:

I've never heard of it. Is it a brand name, or is it strictly something that is only available through military stores?

Galax Steeler
02-28-2010, 09:02 AM
I've never heard of it. Is it a brand name, or is it strictly something that is only available through military stores?

I am not sure I just seen it there and thought I would try it just some cheap whiskey.

silver & black
02-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Interesting parallels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk

Galax Steeler
02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Interesting parallels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk

That is funny as hell I have seen people act the same way.:rofl: