PDA

View Full Version : Willie Gay making some NOISE- Brings the boom on Frank the Tank

StainlessStill
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
There was just SOMETHING about Willie Gay ever since his rookie season 2 years ago. He was a beast in camp that year, and TORE IT UP during the pre-season. Not only is he a fast learner, but he plays with a reckless abansdon. The man is not afraid to get his feet wet. He said he is up to 200 pounds, 15 pounds heavier than last year. Still, he'll lose some weight in camp, but he'll keep the important weight. Bill Gay will be special for us!

With that said, all you Frank "The Tank" fans... he was just welcomed to Latrobe football, compliments of William Gay.

Tank buster

Rookie running back Frank "The Tank" Summers, a fifth-round pick from UNLV, was knocked off his feet and fumbled after being hit by 190-pound cornerback William Gay in the afternoon practice.

Gay's hit on Summers, who weighs 240 pounds, did not sit well with running back Carey Davis, who yelled at Gay. Safety Ryan Clark then came over and "stirred the pot," he said, verbally jousting with Davis.

"When you carry a nickname like 'The Tank' guys are going to try you," coach Mike Tomlin said. "They want him to prove that nickname is earned."

Asked if he likes it when the players are physical, Tomlin said, "I'd rather say 'Whoa,' than 'sic-em.'"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09215/988260-66.stm

KeiselPower99
08-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Cant wait for the games to begin!!! Welcome to Pittsburgh Tank!

steelballs
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
There was just SOMETHING about Willie Gay ever since his rookie season 2 years ago. He was a beast in camp that year, and TORE IT UP during the pre-season. Not only is he a fast learner, but he plays with a reckless abansdon. The man is not afraid to get his feet wet. He said he is up to 200 pounds, 15 pounds heavier than last year. Still, he'll lose some weight in camp, but he'll keep the important weight. Bill Gay will be special for us!

With that said, all you Frank "The Tank" fans... he was just welcomed to Latrobe football, compliments of William Gay.

Tank buster

Rookie running back Frank "The Tank" Summers, a fifth-round pick from UNLV, was knocked off his feet and fumbled after being hit by 190-pound cornerback William Gay in the afternoon practice.

Gay's hit on Summers, who weighs 240 pounds, did not sit well with running back Carey Davis, who yelled at Gay. Safety Ryan Clark then came over and "stirred the pot," he said, verbally jousting with Davis.

"When you carry a nickname like 'The Tank' guys are going to try you," coach Mike Tomlin said. "They want him to prove that nickname is earned."

Asked if he likes it when the players are physical, Tomlin said, "I'd rather say 'Whoa,' than 'sic-em.'"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09215/988260-66.stm

This is as it should be, no room for skirts just a hard nosed welcome to the black & gold.

Sharkissle29
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I've always liked willie gay ever since i saw him in preseason as a rookie.

the one thing i thought he needed to improve on was being more physical.

his off-season weight gain seems like he wanted to emphasize being physical more, and this hit on frank "the tank" is making me very happy...look for good things out of willie gay this year

Psyychoward86
08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Now THAT's how you humble a rookie. I think that was a good experience for the both of them, even Frank. Gay is building more confidence if he hasnt already, and Frank learns this isnt college football anymore, and he sure as hell aint invincible. Grounded players make the best Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
BOOM! Get out the Way Get out the way!

BOOM!

BubbyBrister
08-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I was just listening to Stan & Guy on ESPN and whoever they were interviewing (I missed it) said that "It was Keyaron Fox who put the hit on Summers, the papers were reporting it wrong."

RoethlisBURGHer
08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Whoever put the hit on Summers, it's good. We need to know now if he can handle the short yardage and goal line situations.

People have compared him to Bettis, and The Bus rarely fumbled.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I was just listening to Stan & Guy on ESPN and whoever they were interviewing (I missed it) said that "It was Keyaron Fox who put the hit on Summers, the papers were reporting it wrong."

Ahhhhh, that might make more sense as Fox brings a bit more mass than Gay. Still nice to hear about solid camp contact and no injuries from it.

mmalone
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Cool. Nice hit from Gay or Fox.... Why did davis yell at Gay?? was it a blind hit. a little cheap shot.. why complain??

I think Summers got up right?

Oh, Sweed and Summers and Mendy are no good. they dropped the ball.

eeeesh... :doh:

unlvrebelx
08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Summers is fine, he'll register that one and I'm sure get his back when his feet are more wet.

Also, it must've been a HIT, because in 2 years at UNLV Frank had zero fumbles.

mulldog24
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't care who hit Summers it's time to seperate the men from the boys!!!! Welcome to the STEELERS Summers!!!!!!!!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Summers is fine, he'll register that one and I'm sure get his back when his feet are more wet.

Also, it must've been a HIT, because in 2 years at UNLV Frank had zero fumbles.

UNLV doesn't face the same talent that Summers is going to see in the NFL. If he thinks he got hit hard at times playing at UNLV...just wait until someone like Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis hits him.

The NFL and NCAA are two different monsters. Some guys just can't handle the NFL. I am not saying Summers won't be able to hack it due to one fumble in a training camp practice...but you cannot compare the NFL to college football.

HometownGal
08-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Gay is going to be a playmaker this season, no doubt about it. I've been impressed with him since day 1. :thumbsup:

I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with Coach T, but instead of "Whoa" I say "sic 'em"! :applaudit:

tony hipchest
08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
today it was timmons turn....

Timmons was back at practice this morning. He blew up Frank the Tank. The Tank runs too high

http://twitter.com/jimwexell

Sharkissle29
08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Gay is going to be a playmaker this season, no doubt about it. I've been impressed with him since day 1. :thumbsup:

I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with Coach T, but instead of "Whoa" I say "sic 'em"! :applaudit:

I think what Tomlin meant by that quote is he rather say "Whoa" meaning they are hitting hard, than say "sic em" where they arn't going at it enough....maybe im wrong tho, just a thought

Sharkissle29
08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
today it was timmons turn....

http://twitter.com/jimwexell

looks like they are goin all out on summers. he said he likes contact...he may not after TC!!

Dino 6 Rings
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Greatest little birdy chirp ever

"Mike Wallace just beat Burnett by 5 yards to haul in bomb. Fastest Wr in team history."

Dino 6 Rings
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I think Wallace could be a super secret shark with lazor beams kind of weapon.

mmalone
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I think Wallace could be a super secret shark with lazor beams kind of weapon.

It would be great to see a Wallace be a rookie of the year...

Ben wont be able to sleep if sweed and wallace show up big.

And a mendy beat out parker for some more power in the backfield.

Wow...

4xSBChamps
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I think what Tomlin meant by that quote is he rather say "Whoa" meaning they are hitting hard, than say "sic em" where they arn't going at it enough....maybe im wrong tho, just a thought

+ tax, I read that comment the same-way, too, that it's easier to slow 'em down, than to speed 'em up.

Tampa papers are reporting that the Bucs' 2nd day of camp was lethargic, so Coach Morris 'ran 'em live', at full-speed & contact, the last 10 minutes of practice Sunday

PA/VA Guy
08-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Frank "The Tank" - There in no faster ticket to the unemployment line than to fumble.

Gay - There is no faster ticket to the starting line-up than to cause turnover on defense.

:noidea:

mmalone
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds like Gay is showing up....

Wallace caught a pass from Ben Roethlisberger yesterday and was flattened by cornerback William Gay, who was congratulated by cornerback Ike Taylor for dropping the hammer on the rookie. When Wallace returned to the huddle, Roethlisberger congratulated him for making the catch under duress.

WWIIOwheelz
08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I've always said, with a last name like "Gay", you HAVE to be one hard-hitting SOB to make it on the Steelers. Like HTG, the first time I saw him in preseason, I was quite impressed.