PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben off to slow start in camp

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09215/988337-66.stm

Big Ben off to slow start in camp
Monday, August 03, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger has thrown more interceptions in training camp practices than he would prefer because, he said, his arm does not feel strong. But, he said, that's normal for him this time of year.

The quarterback said it usually takes him the first week of training camp before his right arm is where it should be.

"It's frustrating at times, I think I have a pick every day in practice because my arm is not where I want it to be yet," said Roethlisberger. "Trying to make the throws I can make later in the year that I try to do now, my arm is not ready for it."

Roethlisberger threw one deep pass to Santonio Holmes today that fluttered incomplete.

"We misconnected on a couple of deep balls today but it didn't look like it had anything to do with arm strength,'' said coach Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin said "that's a safe assumption" that it normally takes Roethlisberger a week to get his arm to mid-season form. The quarterback said he moves at a slower pace now to preserve his arm late in the season.

"I don't throw a lot before I come into this for that reason, I don't want to get worn down late in the year,'' Roethlisberger said. "It just takes a couple of days to get into it. I hope by Wednesday I'll be getting better and by the weekend I'll be in pretty good form."

OneForTheToe
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, plus he has to throw in a round motion because he is so fat.:whistle:

:wink02:

:wave:

mesaSteeler
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Big Ben shaking off the rust
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/
Posted August 3, 2009 8 :11 PM

Here are news and notes from the Steelers fourth day of training camp:

Another day, another interception for Ben Roethlisberger.

Not to get Steelers fans worked into a lather as Big Ben certainly isn't worried that he has been a little lackluster thus far.

"My arm's not where I want it to be yet," Roethlisberger said. "Trying to make the throws I make later in the year (and) my arms's not ready for it."

That is to be expected as Roethlisberger rarely throws in the offseason so he doesn't get a tired arm in December and January.

"I don't throw a lot before (camp) for that reason," Roethlisberger said, "so it takes a couple of days to get into it. I hope, by Wednesday, it will be getting better and then by the weekend it will be in pretty good form."

Darnell Stapleton didn't practice again this afternoon and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the right guard is having his knee checked. Stapleton, who has swelling in his knee, watched the morning practice from a chair near the hill that overlooks the fields at St. Vincent. He was not present at the afternoon practice.

If Stapleton has a knee problem that is worse than the Steelers thought that could provide the opening Trai Essex is looking for at guard. The fifth-year veteran arrived at camp with the belief that he would get a legitimate chance to compete for a starting job.

Tempers flared during the afternoon practice and specifically when defensive tackle Scott Paxson and rookie guard Ramon Foster locked up during a pass rush/pass block drill. The two engaged in a shoving match after the whistle blew and might have come to blows had coaches not quickly intervened.

"We have to develop our professional etiquette and professionalism just like we need to do our techniques and assignments," Tomlin said after practice. "But all in all I like the spirit of the group."

The rookies are getting a rough indoctrination to the NFL. A day after Frank "The Tank" Summers got walloped on a running play, veteran safety Tyrone Carter belted wide receiver Mike Wallace. Wallace did hang onto the ball.

As for "The Tank" he said that was the first time he had ever fumbled because of a hard hit.

"You've just got to protect yourself at all times and that's part of being on this level," he said.

E-mail • Print • Permalink

Timmons back practicing

Posted August 3, 2009 1 :27 PM

Lawrence Timmons returned to practice this morning and didn't appear to be slowed by the cramps that plagued him the previous two days. Timmons, who will start at inside linebacker this season, didn't finish the Steelers' afternoon practice Friday because of cramps that were related to dehydration.

Coach Mike Tomlin is taking care of his veterans early in camp as a number of them, including wide receiver Hines Ward and inside linebacker James Farrior, were given this morning's practice off.

The oddest sight of the morning was starting right guard Darnell Stapleton watching practice from a chair near the hill that overlooks the fields at St. Vincent College. Stapleton looked like a student that has been banished to corner by the teacher for acting out in class. Was Stapleton told to take a, uh, time-out? "No," he said smiling, "I'm a good boy."

The Steelers as, it turned out, wanted Stapleton to stay off his feet as he has been dealing with swelling in one his knees.

steel striker
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
It is early in training camp no worries. Lets give the guys a chance to get into form.

BlockMonsta
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
From what I have read so far I think Mike Wallace is going to make some real contributions.

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd rather he be like this now then in September.

mesaSteeler
08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Big Ben's not in midseason form
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/03/sports/steelers/doc4a77b1c5bb5f9901194371.txt

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

Published: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:58 PM EDT
LATROBE — Ben Roethlisberger is still working his right arm into playing shape.

The Steelers quarterback admitted Monday that he’s a bit frustrated with his performance during the first three days of training camp.

“I think I have a pick every day in practice,” he said.

Roethlisberger has thrown an interception during 11-on-11 drills in each of the past three days. Rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis swiped one of his passes Saturday. Strong safety Troy Polamalu intercepted him Sunday. Monday, it was free safety Ryan Clark who picked off a Roethlisberger pass.

“It’s frustrating at times,” Roethlisberger said. “(I’m) trying to make the throws I can make later in the year … (but) my arm isn’t ready for it.”

Roethlisberger said he was particularly upset that he didn’t connect on a few deep passes Monday. But coach Mike Tomlin said he isn’t worried.

“We misconnected on a couple of deep balls, but it didn’t look like it had anything to do with arm strength,” Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger, 27, admitted that his arm strength isn’t what he’d like it to be because he didn’t do a lot of throwing in the weeks leading up to training camp. He said it usually takes a week of camp until he works his arm into shape.

“I don’t throw a lot before I come into this for that reason. I don’t want to get worn down late in the year,’’ he said.

“It just takes a couple of days to get into it. I hope by Wednesday.”

Galax Steeler
08-04-2009, 05:02 AM
It seems like our guy always hit hard in camp there is always a confortaiton every year. Go's to show that everyone wants to make the team.

Edman
08-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I rather him be like this now than in September.

That's why you're here, Ben. It's called Training Camp for a reason.

The_WARDen
08-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Ben's not in midseason form???!!!!

It's a good thing that it's NOT EVEN PRESEASON!

:coffee:

Sharkissle29
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM
i always like hearing the rookies get lit up, gives them all that mentality that steelers football is physical footbll