PDA

View Full Version : OL needs depth

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Our OL now needs some serious depth. With Ross and Vincent gone..coupled with Simmons reclaiming his starting job and Starx stepping in at RT.. There is virtually ZERO depth to speak of behind the starting 5..so look for C&C to pick up some veteran OL in FA, no real big names most likely, but guys who are experienced and especially ones that can be versatile on the line.

JerseySTEEL
03-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Starks looks veyr good so far and simmons is coming back so why waste the money, and we still have Hartings as or C Faneca as our LG and jones was under key, and the only prob area is that RG and the draft can handle that it but we will prob get a FA to back up .

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2005, 11:23 AM
A couple years ago, when we got Troy in the draft, we completely ignored the OL in the draft, and it was a total disaster, our OL totally sucked that year, and we were playing people outta position left and right all year long. If we ignore the OL in the draft, it's gonna come back to haunt us. Alan can play any position on the line except center, and Hartings can play center or guard and Smith can play either tackle position, although he's set where he is at at LT. But, we gotta get some decent depth to keep the cohesiveness of the line together in case somebody goes down, a couple of players via FA or the draft, that can step in, if need be and keep on going, just like Vincent did for us last year.

Its awesome that our 5 starters are versatile enough to play in any position, but man, I dont wanna rely on moving everybody around ever again, if we dont have too.

clevestinks
03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Blitz you are correct, we need some depth, this team relied on back ups all year last year. Now we are getting thin in a few places and the OL is one of them.

HinesWard4Life8682
03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Blitz is very right, i think our left side is set with smith and faneca, and center is definitely set with faneca. But besides our defense, the o-line was the reason we were good, we had excellent rotation and depth. we cant afford to lose it.

clevestinks
03-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Hines you meant Hartings at center. But your right these guys are solid.

HinesWard4Life8682
03-11-2005, 11:44 PM
yeah my bad i meant hartings

HinesWard4Life8682
03-11-2005, 11:45 PM
my friend is a dallas fan and he tells me that larry allen is better then alan faneca. But i keep telling him that Alan Faneca is better

What do you guys think?

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Larry Allen used to be good. Faneca is the best guard in the NFL today

ironcitychef
03-12-2005, 01:13 AM
I agree about Allen being old so Faneca is the best, but then people are saying that about Brian Waters in KC in relation to Faneca. But I would still bet a paycheck that we can get one yard behind Faneca.

JerseySTEEL
03-12-2005, 03:20 AM
well get 10 yards behind alan hehe...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2005, 09:58 AM
agreed that Larry Allen used to be the best guard in the league, but Alan is clearly quicker and more versatile, not to mention just a better guard now than Allen is.

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 11:35 AM
allen before
alan now we`ll take our Alan

HinesWard4Life8682
03-12-2005, 11:41 PM
yeah i agree

Brownskikass
03-12-2005, 11:46 PM
yeah i agree

Faneca is the best guard in the NFL, no doubt....

But William Shields, Larry Allen, Joe Andruzzi all are amazing guards as well

JerseySTEEL
03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
after taking a look at our roster we got some young OL but like u said depth is what we need.

clevestinks
03-13-2005, 08:07 AM
No doubt about it , even a cheap linemen just someone

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2005, 11:51 AM
after taking a look at our roster we got some young OL but like u said depth is what we need.

The last time we really wanted to help sure up the OL, we went out and found Todd Fordham!!
:rolleyes:

Good grief I hope we dont another one of him this offseason...

ironcitychef
03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I think the biggest thing is giveing Grimm a consistent bunch of guys to coach. The two years that happened it was great. The year we had to spend our time penciling in guys was a mess. I think they don't need to be all stars, but just need to play every sunday.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Grimm has said he really like Starks and how he has progressed so far in his career. You could see he really wanted to be able to hang onto either vincent or ross, this offseason, but that didnt happen. So you know he's pushing for big depth on the OL this FA period and in the draft.

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2005, 12:30 PM
ya ii hope so we do got soem young studs comign in from europe but they wouldnt ass veyr much depth to our line.

ironcitychef
03-16-2005, 02:24 AM
I think not getting McDougle will cause some knee jerk reactions. We might become draft active as I don't think we were expecting him to go elsewhere.