PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the doubters.. Broncos 4 pt favorites, and new SB favorites

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5251174?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

DENVER (AP) - Meet the new favorites to win the Super Bowl: the Denver Broncos.

After putting in an impressive performance to knock out New England, the Broncos sat home Sunday and watched Pittsburgh upset Indianapolis, the previous odds-on favorite to win it all.

Now, the Broncos get a home game next Sunday against the Steelers in the AFC title game, where they've been established as a 4-point pick.

And on Sunday afternoon, Vegas oddsmakers said Denver would be favored in the Super Bowl against any of the NFC teams - Seattle, Carolina or Chicago - still in the hunt.

"The Broncos have been flying under the radar the whole season, with the likes of the Colts out there, but now, they're looking better," said Jay Kornegay, who runs the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton.

The numbers: Denver is now the 3-to-2 favorite to win the Super Bowl. Seattle and Pittsburgh were both 5-to-2 and Carolina was 6-to-1, with Chicago at 10-to-1.

Kornegay said if the Broncos win next week and play the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, they'd probably start as a 3 1/2- or 4-point favorite. If they played the Panthers, they'd be favored by about 5 1/2 points and if they played the Bears, the number would be 9 or 10.

"The NFC is definitely, I believe, a couple notches below the AFC," Kornegay said.

As ticket-buying fans lined up outside Invesco Field on Sunday, suddenly Denver's season could be seen in a completely new light.

Sure, the 13-3 record, the first division title, first home playoff game and even the first playoff win in seven seasons were turning the 2005 season into something special.

But with Indianapolis looming - the team that had beaten Denver by a combined score of 90-34 in the last two postseasons - there was a sense the season was destined to end a week short of the ultimate destination.

Now, the Broncos have more reason to believe they could go all the way, win their third championship since 1997 and - yes - match the New England "dynasty" for the most titles over the past decade.

The Broncos weren't available for interviews Sunday, although after their 27-13 victory over the Patriots, a few were very candid about who they wanted to play next.

"I've got to get the Terrible Towels out to root for the Steelers so we can play at home," receiver Rod Smith said. "Nothing against the Colts, but I just want to play at home."

It made a difference all night Saturday, as the Patriots got flagged for four false-start penalties and Tom Brady had trouble changing plays at the line of scrimmage. The result: five New England turnovers that resulted in 17 Denver points. The biggest was Champ Bailey's 100-yard interception return that took the Patriots out of scoring range and set up a touchdown to make it 17-6 in the third quarter.

Through it all, Invesco Field rocked like it hadn't in the five years since it opened.

Many around Denver, including none other than John Elway, complained that the new stadium was too comfortable and too full of cushy creature comforts to be as noisy as it needed to be.

Now, however, none of the Broncos are complaining about playing there.

They'll be back home next weekend, as the favorite to win the Super Bowl.

"To be honest, I was a little upset last year" with the crowd, safety John Lynch said. "It was kind of a downer. But I think we just changed the course of Invesco Field being a wine-and-cheese crowd. That was something special, a lot of fun."

Prosdo
01-15-2006, 07:40 PM
It's all good. We like being the underdogs!

SteelCityMan786
01-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I like being the Underdog. We'll shock the World Again.

fergusonat
01-15-2006, 07:50 PM
^Not sure it will be quite as much of a shock after we owned the Colts, though

Tim
01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
That's not a bad line really. The rule of thumb is that home teams get 3 points off the bat. So 4 point dogs means that Vegas is hedging :)

louisvillecards
01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
good jake the snake can spend all night on his belly after we throw some blitz down his throat

Da'Burgh
01-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Wow. Broncos are good, but really, they're not anything too special.

shevdog
01-15-2006, 08:05 PM
The Steelers did good as 9.5 point underdogs. 4 point underdogs ain't bad.

Yet another upset, care of the Steelers.

The story book is half way written. We all know the ending... The bus rides home with an XL ring!

clevestinks
01-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I like theunderdog role! We don`t want respect yet! Make us hungry!

Prosdo
01-15-2006, 08:10 PM
The Steelers did good as 9.5 point underdogs. 4 point underdogs ain't bad.

Yet another upset, care of the Steelers.

The story book is half way written. We all know the ending... The bus rides home with an XL ring!

The Bus getting a SB would be the best storybook ending possible.

DIESELMAN
01-15-2006, 08:24 PM
the broncos rebuilt their team to make the playoffs and beat the colts.........WE AIN'T THE COLTS!!!!!!!! GO STEELERS!!!! :tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

VegasStlrFan
01-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Underdogs, fine with me! The moneyline was +325, I dropped $100 and won $325. Make-em a big Dog!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 08:58 PM
The broncos are a physical team like us.. I see this game as a physical match that could very well be low scoring too.

Prosdo
01-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Very true Matt. This should be an awesome game.

Justin Otstott
01-15-2006, 09:18 PM
The underdogs is on top!!!!

Hammer67
01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I feel like Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore...."Go to your home!!! Why can't you just go to your home!!!" I want the Bus to come home and visit Detroit! I will have a lot of friends visiting in a couple of weeks!

steelersforever
01-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Lets send Joey Porter in to kick there ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brady12
01-15-2006, 09:47 PM
It wouldn't shock me if Denver beat Pittsburgh... It didn't really shock me that they beat Indy either, after I saw what Indy was doing early.

steelersforever
01-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Lets send Joey Porter in to kick there ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milkman
01-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Still gettin' no luv from the "so-called experts" and loving every minute of it!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 11:05 PM
hell yeah milkman.. continue to doubt us, we love it.