PDA

View Full Version : Wallace looking good

mmalone
08-05-2009, 07:58 AM
WALLACE FIRST UP

When the Steelers worked on their kickoff return game for the first time in camp, Mike Wallace, the rookie wide receiver, was first up as the deep return man.

The others were RBs Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore, rookie CB Joe Burnett and WR Stefan Logan.

ďI was the first guy up today, but things can change at any time,Ē Wallace said. ďItís not that Iím looking at it like I have a secure spot. Itís a wide-open competition, but I look at it as itís my job to try to keep.

ďBut like I said, we have a lot of good returners and no one has a secure spot. I welcome competition at all times. If Iím the best man for the job, the coaches will put me back there."

Pasted from <http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/05/sports/steelers/doc4a78fd87e545c249746583.txt>

-----------------------------------

Ike Taylor says that he may not be the fastest on the team anymore.. Wallace he said is fast.. Hes fast..

--------------------------------------

Things didnít start out so well for Burnett on Monday afternoon, because during an individual passing drill, he was beaten deep badly by fellow rookie Mike Wallace, who caught a long pass down the sideline for a touchdown.

Pasted from <http://news.steelers.com/article/106899/>

----------------------------------------

One day, Limas Sweed makes a couple of plays; another day, itís rookie Mike Wallace. In Tomlinís mind, itís still way too early for any pronouncements.

Pasted from <http://news.steelers.com/article/107062/>

--------------------------------------------

mmalone
08-05-2009, 08:00 AM
We may have a rookie of the year coming out this year.....

steelballs
08-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I was up at camp this past Saturday and I will say that the enthusiasm being displayed by the players was good...obviously the first day of camp had something to do with it, but I was glad to see the veterans showing emotion as well.

I'll agree with Ike Taylor that Wallace is fast....the kid can friggin' fly!

Steel Head
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
good news. I hope Wallace keeps it up and is our KR and 5th WR

mulldog24
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I hope we get a bunch of production out of Wallace this year at KR and WR!!!!!!!!!!!

oldschool
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Ole Miss! Great to hear!:tt:
( That's where my daughter and all my money went ):chuckle:

The Definiti0n
08-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Out of all the rookies this is the guy i am most excited about.

We all know Hood is going to be a solid contributor but Wallace has a chance to be our Josh Cribbs type player

Detective
08-06-2009, 02:11 AM
i knew i was making the right choice when making a sig. can't wait to see wallace in action!

Galax Steeler
08-06-2009, 04:46 AM
I really like what I have been hearing about Wallace. If everything about him holds true then we should have a solid player returning kicks for us this year not to mention the deep threat he brings us.

pancake
08-06-2009, 05:38 AM
I can't wait to the first preseason game to see the rookies play!!! :applaudit:

BlockMonsta
08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
I am ready to see him too. I am also ready to see BA lose his job, I cant stand the guy saying "Dixon would get broken in half"...back on topic is Troy P really that fast? I know Ike is fast, I know Wallace is fast and I know FWP is fast but Troy P faster?

Edman
08-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Willie Reid could fly too...

All Wallace has to do as a KR/PR is hold onto the ball. That's all I can ask for. Hold onto the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

Steel Head
08-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Willie Reid could fly too...

All Wallace has to do as a KR/PR is hold onto the ball. That's all I can ask for. Hold onto the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

Reid wasn't that fast, nowhere near close to Wallace. Reid also didn't have a problem holding onto the ball, he just couldn't put it all together and play well when it counted

mmalone
08-06-2009, 08:40 AM
. I am also ready to see BA lose his job, I cant stand the guy saying "Dixon would get broken in half

he says these things because he knows that he has been here for 2 years and ben is taking huge hits. BA know its his offensive play calling that sucks at qb protection.
no deception, no counter blitz, very few screens, no quick slants.

thats why ben is always stretching the plays to get the receivers open down field.
because it is usually and all out rush at our offensive line, and we never counter.

ben is 241 and dixon is 195... so BA is right he would get broken in half..

Steel Head
08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
back on topic is Troy P really that fast? I know Ike is fast, I know Wallace is fast and I know FWP is fast but Troy P faster?

are you serious? Troy is fast as hell and it is quite obvious when you watch him play.

He's a little different than Ike and Wallace though. Troy isn't as fast as them in a longer distance race (>40 yards) but say in a sprint of like 20-30 yards, Troy is the fastest in the NFL imo

J Dogg
08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I can't wait for that first pre-season game too. Because that's when a lot of this polish gets knocked off the rookies.

Looking good in training camp is one thing, looking good in a full speed game against NFL vets is something else.

The Lakelander
08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Out of all the rookies this is the guy i am most excited about.

We all know Hood is going to be a solid contributor but Wallace has a chance to be our Josh Cribbs type player

:doh: Ouch! That hurts my ears!

Let's hope he goes way beyond Josh Cribbs' talent!

Psyychoward86
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Ew, Josh Cribbs? Let's hope he's better than that. I'm starting to be intrigued by this kid. Perhaps the revival of our return game is this year?

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Everytime I read about Wallace I find myself singing the song "Lightning in a Bottle" based up on the song "message in a bottle" by the Police and Sting.

Lightning in a Bottle...

Here's an FYI to the world
Here's an FYI to the world
I hope you know that Wallace
Is Lightning in a Bottle...

BlockMonsta
08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
..Yes I am serious, I dont view Troy as that fast. Yes, but we were talking about Dixion running the wild cat which I assume BA is saying he would get broken in half. He would not be sitting in the pocket like Ben.

The Duke
08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I've heard he's taken his fair share of hits too- and held on to the ball. I like that :thumbsup:

Plus he has a mohawk like nate :chuckle:

mmalone
08-07-2009, 10:43 AM
when the next groups took the field it turned into the Mike Wallace show.

Wallace, the rookie speed-burner who could provide the team a dimension at the receiver position it never has had, has been blowing past defensive backs since camp opened last Friday. This time he ran past fellow rookie Keenan Lewis and when Dennis Dixonís pass was underthrown it created an obvious pass interference penalty, a 40-plus-yard penalty that put the ball on the 10-yard line.

Then on fourth down, Wallace went high in the back of the end zone to catch a bullet from Dixon and get both feet down for the touchdown. Think Santonio Holmes in Super Bowl XLIII, only more toward the middle of the field. And with two NFL officials right there to call it a touchdown, there was a little less complaining than if Tomlin had made the call.

The Lakelander
08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Bring on the damn season already!

mmalone
08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Plus he has a mohawk like nate :chuckle:

Nate who?:wave:

ANDYMISIU
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Sweed, Wallace, and McDonald are going to be huge! this year. I feel that all three will contribute in big ways. If Ward or Holmes go down, I'm feeling good about our depth. Obviously this is all camp chatter and nothing has been proven just yet. But, our depth at WR and RB is f'ing sick! I look for Seed to win the 3rd spot with Wallace and McDonald sharing the 4th spot and taking care of special teams returns.

Sharkissle29
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
per Jim Wexell -

"Ike Taylor calls Mike Wallace fastest WR he ever covered"