PDA

View Full Version : Giants shove out the Cash for Eli

Edman
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/05/giants-eli-strike-a-long-term-deal/

6yrs/97.5 Million/35m Guaranteed.

While this is ludicrous for a QB who have been mediocre hie entire career and whose MVP award in XLII was by name only, it's not like the G-Men have a choice. They have no one behind Eli. Take the risk and see how long Little Brother fares.

Let's see how Manning does without Burress to heave it up there to.

X-Terminator
08-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Overpaid. Big. Time.

That kind of money is reserved for the truly elite QBs, and Eli isn't anything close to that. He wins ONE SB (that his defense won for him, let's be honest) and has had a grand total of ONE decent season, and he deserves to be paid like his big brother? I'll always be grateful to him and the Giants for ending the Pats* perfect season, but he ain't worth over $16 million per season.

Steel Head
08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
makes Ben's deal look like a bargain

I like Eli but that is an overpayment

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
The real problem with this is it artificially raises the pay ceiling. Now any QB with mediocre to above average ability will look to command this kind of cash, and we'll all suffer. The players will suffer, because it strips salary from other positions, and the fans suffer because these contracts ultimately end up coming out of our pocket in the form of ticket price increases.

Psyychoward86
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Lol, i think it's hilarious, but i can see how this is going down with the Giants. People always say if u find a franchise QB, you keep him at all costs. I dont think the Giants really have too much of a choice, so i guess they're stuck with Eli for a while. Which isnt ALL that bad, he can be serviceable. But God, for a Superbowl winning QB with arguably the best O-line in football, he's pretty mediocre.

steelreserve
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Meh. That's the going rate for a "franchise" QB these days.

I don't really think Eli Manning is an elite QB; if anything, he's a borderline franchise QB, or at the very bottom of what you could consider the franchise QBs. But if either of two things happen -- his team thinks he's elite, or the player thinks he's elite and someone else is willing to pay him like he is -- there's really no choice but to pay him like he's a top QB.

Still, $16 million a year is too much for anyone in this league right now. Have fun in salary cap hell.

RunWillieRun
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Peyton's gotta be pissed that little bro is making more than him.

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
good luck san diego..... :laughing:

Galax Steeler
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Way to much doe rae me. Not worth the money.

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
even if he doesn't deserve it, i'd rather see Eli Manning make money like this over Tony Romo. Romo is the worst...THE WORST!

Manning may not be top notch and as kick ass as say...Ben Roethlisberger, but he's got a ring and more winning seasons than Romo.

KeiselPower99
08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Chargers are working on a new deal for Phillip Rivers as we speak. Giants overpaid for his ass. Id still rather have Losman over Eli.

J Dogg
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
You can say this rasies the bar, but it doesn't have to. Sooner or later, owners are going to start saying no when agents walk in to the room and demand huge contracts. It happened this past MLB off season when Manny demanded huge money from teams and owners just shrugged and said no. It will never happen in the NBA because of the way the salary cap is built, but it can be done in the NFL.

Even our own James Harrison learned this past off season that you're usually not worth as much as you think you are.

Fire Haley
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Eli's a top 10 QB (barely), getting paid like a top 3.

I find it funny Palmer is still the hightest paid QB in the league - at least Eli has won some playoff games and a Ring.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 12:35 PM

I find it funny Palmer is still the hightest paid QB in the league - at least Eli has won some playoff games and a Ring.

Nice call on Palmer.

You know what I think, Eli plays for one of the toughest markets, won a Super Bowl, and has been a very good character off the field and good role model and leader on that team. If they want to lock him up for 6 years with this contract, good for them. With a potential Lock out looming, its good that these owners are locking in big name players for big dollars. How are the Players going to say they aren't making enough money when an owner can just pull out the QBs contract and say "wtf are you talking about?" I like it.

Psyychoward86
08-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Ha, the bengals dam well better pay Palmer like a king. They wont have a QB half as good for a loooong time.

steelreserve
08-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Not to disagree with your main point, but I'm pretty sure Eli is now the highest-paid player in the entire league. Nnamdi Aasfdsafadsfdsafsafdsaf from the Raiders is #2, and Peyton Manning is #3.

But yes, I do agree that Eli and Palmer are both getting paid ridiculously more than what they're worth.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-06-2009, 05:00 PM
While Eli Manning, production wise, isn't worth the money...I really don't blame the Giants for doing this.

He has won a Super Bowl, playing well in the game. He has handled the New York media very well. And he's never going to put up the stats of his older brother, but he is a solid quarterback.

The Duke
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Meh, seems like a good deal

The man's won a super bowl, had a great clutch drive in it, is a fairly good 4th quarter QB ( he beat our defense for a td late in the 4th last year- though they did start near midfield after the safety), and is better than a lot of qbs out there. Definitely top 10 to me

and really, do the giants have any other option? That's the market for qbs right now. They pretty much HAVE to pay him