PDA

View Full Version : Taking a gander at the 53

The Lakelander
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
The bold players are the roster spots I'm pretty certain to be the ones being battled for at this point.

Feel welcome to inject your thoughts.

Quarterback
1. Roethlisberger
2. Batch
3. Dixon

Running Back
4. Parker
5. Mendenhall
6. Moore

Wide Receiver
7. Ward
8. Holmes
9. Sweed
10. Wallace

Tight End
11. Miller
12. Spaeth
13. McHugh

Center
14. Hartwig
15. Legursky

Offensive Guard
16. Kemoeatu
17. Essex
18. Urbik

Offensive Tackle
19. Starks
20. Colon

Other Offensive Players
21. Stapleton
22. McDonald
23. Foster
24. Davis C.
25. Summers

Kicker/Punter
26. Reed
27. Sepulveda
28. Warren

Defensive End
29. Smith
30. Keisel
31. Kirschke
32. Hood

Defensive Tackle
33. Hampton
34. Hoke

Linebacker
35. Harrison J.
36. Farrior
37. Woodley
38. Timmons
39. Fox
40. Frazier

Cornerback
41. Taylor
42. Gay
43. Townsend
44. Lewis K.

Safety
45. Polamalu
46. Clark
47. Carter

Other Defensive Players
48. Bailey
49. Burnett
50. Harrison A.
51. Lewis R.
52. Davis B.
53. Mundy

Practice Squad
1. Shipley
2. Redman
3. Reilly
4. Johnson
5. Harris
6. Black
7. Reffett
8. Capizzi

Steel Head
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
way too early for this IMO but that's a pretty good guess

i think a different LB will make it other than Frazier, like Woods

mmalone
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
with the TE's

12. Spaeth
13. McHugh

one of these backups has to show some more... which one of these guys can play the position better than the other and why??

The Lakelander
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
with the TE's

12. Spaeth
13. McHugh

one of these backups has to show some more... which one of these guys can play the position better than the other and why??

McHugh gets the deal because he lines up as a H-back and lead blocker on certain plays. Both players are sure things as far as the 53 man roster goes.

Steel Head
08-05-2009, 11:47 AM
McHugh gets the deal because he lines up as a H-back and lead blocker on certain plays. Both players are sure things as far as the 53 man roster goes.

i agree

it's just hard to figure out what players they will keep right now for special teams (backup linebackers, gunners, etc)

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
What, no Mike Vick?

BlastFurnace
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
The bold players are the roster spots I'm pretty certain to be the ones being battled for at this point.

Feel welcome to inject your thoughts.

Quarterback
1. Roethlisberger
2. Batch
3. Dixon

Running Back
4. Parker
5. Mendenhall
6. Moore

Wide Receiver
7. Ward
8. Holmes
9. Sweed
10. Wallace

Tight End
11. Miller
12. Spaeth
13. McHugh

Center
14. Hartwig
15. Legursky

Offensive Guard
16. Kemoeatu
17. Essex
18. Urbik

Offensive Tackle
19. Starks
20. Colon

Other Offensive Players
21. Stapleton
22. McDonald
23. Foster
24. Davis C.
25. Summers

Kicker/Punter
26. Reed
27. Sepulveda
28. Warren

Defensive End
29. Smith
30. Keisel
31. Kirschke
32. Hood

Defensive Tackle
33. Hampton
34. Hoke

Linebacker
35. Harrison J.
36. Farrior
37. Woodley
38. Timmons
39. Fox
40. Frazier

Cornerback
41. Taylor
42. Gay
43. Townsend
44. Lewis K.

Safety
45. Polamalu
46. Clark
47. Carter

Other Defensive Players
48. Bailey
49. Burnett
50. Harrison A.
51. Lewis R.
52. Davis B.
53. Mundy

Practice Squad
1. Shipley
2. Redman
3. Reilly
4. Johnson
5. Harris
6. Black
7. Reffett
8. Capizzi

Good group. I hate to lose Madison, but it looks like his salary and his ability only to play special teams is going to get him cut. It's a shame because he is a heck of a special teamer.

I have not read one good thing about Bruce Davis yet. I am really pulling for him, but Wexell, Lolley, and Ed B. have all said the he doesn't look good at all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Pretty good stab at this time of the year. The list looks a bit heavy on the extra DB and OLB's and thin on a backup OT.

I think we will at least see Capizzi or Hills kept on the 53 as a backup OT. Ramon Foster looks like they are trying him at guard as he is a bit slow of foot for an OT.

You are the first guy in a while with only 6 D linemen and I LOVE that!! The Steelers traditionally only have kept 6 D-linemen in the past and I think you are right that its gonna be between Eason and Kirschke for that last spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I have not read one good thing about Bruce Davis yet. I am really pulling for him, but Wexell, Lolley, and Ed B. have all said the he doesn't look good at all.

I'd be shocked if they gave up on Davis this year, especially since he was a 3rd round pick. But, if you look at his UCLA hilight reel, he uses his quickness and motor to get to the QB.......but avoids contact with the O linemen. That needs to change before he can contribute in the NFL.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nbl03WpCpXk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nbl03WpCpXk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm not surea bout Capizzi on the practice squad this year....I will have to check but I think he may not be elgible.

Good job overall.:thmbup:

I think Mundy and Legursky both are promoted off the practice team this year.

steelreserve
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd be shocked if they gave up on Davis this year, especially since he was a 3rd round pick. But, if you look at his UCLA hilight reel, he uses his quickness and motor to get to the QB.......but avoids contact with the O linemen. That needs to change before he can contribute in the NFL.

Wow, after seeing that, I think you're exactly right. That video makes me really concerned about his prospects unless he's gotten bigger and/or learned a few things. I'm not saying he needs to be able to bull-rush his guy on every play, but ... oh, man. Against offensive tackles who are all two steps quicker and 60 pounds heavier than in the highlight video, none of that shit is going to work at all.

LVSteelersfan
08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Bruce Davis is one of those players who better get his act together quick or he may be out on the street. You like to think the Steelers hit on every draft pick, but that is highly improbable and there will be busts. In comparison to other teams, I think the Steelers do a great job. Let's hope Frank the Tank knocks Carey Davis out of there. Can't stand that guy. He needs to follow Gary Russell out the door. Two useless players.

steelreserve
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I've also got to say I hope Carey Davis is out of there. I don't even care if anyone "beats him out" for the job -- Davis doesn't contribute anything at all, so even if we're just taking a blind chance on someone, we can't do any worse.

And I think we'll keep at least one more offensive lineman, probably an OT. Maybe Capizzi, maybe Foster, maybe Hills, although I've got to say his prospects don't look too great with all the competition they've suddenly got there.

wootawnee
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Bruce Davis is one of those players who better get his act together quick or he may be out on the street. You like to think the Steelers hit on every draft pick, but that is highly improbable and there will be busts. In comparison to other teams, I think the Steelers do a great job. Let's hope Frank the Tank knocks Carey Davis out of there. Can't stand that guy. He needs to follow Gary Russell out the door. Two useless players.

I agree......I think he tackles way better than when he has the ball ........He is explosive tackling but not with the ball in his hands..........He should have been a lb..........He needs to explode with all his energy when he hits the hole......but I see no charge from him.........He knocked some dude out in the afc championship game on the kickoff........narly hit it was.......

steelreserve
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree......I think he tackles way better than when he has the ball ........He is explosive tackling but not with the ball in his hands..........He should have been a lb..........He needs to explode with all his energy when he hits the hole......but I see no charge from him.........He knocked some dude out in the afc championship game on the kickoff........narly hit it was.......

I can't understand who or what you are talking about in that post.

mmalone
08-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I can't understand who or what you are talking about in that post.

i think he is talking about Carey Davis, Davis smashed the dude to start the Ravens game in the afc champ game at kickoff.

KeiselPower99
08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Bruce Davis will have this year to show something and if not he will be like Alonzo Jackson. A high pick that couldnt make the transition to LB.

sherlock
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know if Greg Warren will be fit to start the season?
I can`t find anything on the internet about this,even on steelers.com.
The way his knee gave way when he was being helped of the field against the Giants was horrendous.

MasterOfPuppets
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nbl03WpCpXk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nbl03WpCpXk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
normally i'd agree with ya about giving up, but if he doesn't show some serious potential, at least enough for special teams, then i don't see them giving up a roster spot for him over a guy that does. at least i like to think they wouldn't.

KeiselPower99
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if Greg Warren will be fit to start the season?
I can`t find anything on the internet about this,even on steelers.com.
The way his knee gave way when he was being helped of the field against the Giants was horrendous.

He must be fine as they released the other Long Snapper they brought in.

sherlock
08-05-2009, 03:19 PM
He must be fine as they released the other Long Snapper they brought in.

Oh,I didn`t know that....thanksKP99 :hatsoff:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm not saying he needs to be able to bull-rush his guy on every play, but ... oh, man. Against offensive tackles who are all two steps quicker and 60 pounds heavier than in the highlight video, none of that shit is going to work at all.

Yeah, the strategy on rushing is either outquick the guy to the edge, or get right in his face and "slap and swim" around him ...or "dip and rip" (like Harrison) by him. Davis never showed any of the willingness in that video to take on the blocker like Harrison, Woodley, Haggans or any decent rusher.

I still think they saw the quickness and production of Davis and believe they can get him stronger and coach him up to becoming a 3-4 OLB. Something tells me he gets another pass this year and makes the roster.

PA/VA Guy
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Shaun McDonald becomes the new number 3 receiver. I hear he's catching everything in training camp. And he has the experience.
Stefan Logan also makes the team as a RB/WR. Position flexibility is so important to Tomlin.
:noidea:

steelerdave1969
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
with the TE's

12. Spaeth
13. McHugh

Spaeth is a better reciever, but McHugh is a better blocker.. which means the most?.. not sure, but if last season is any indication we need all the blocking we can get along that line whether it be a TE or a OL

steelerdave1969
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Shaun McDonald becomes the new number 3 receiver. I hear he's catching everything in training camp. And he has the experience.
Stefan Logan also makes the team as a RB/WR. Position flexibility is so important to Tomlin.

According to the Post-Gazzette writers, they dont think that Logan will even come close to making this team which would not suprise me.

MongoSteeler
08-05-2009, 08:48 PM
There was a Quote today from Tomlin saying how impressed he was with Logan's hands.

KeiselPower99
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Ive heard people like his speed on returns.

The Lakelander
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I've also got to say I hope Carey Davis is out of there. I don't even care if anyone "beats him out" for the job -- Davis doesn't contribute anything at all, so even if we're just taking a blind chance on someone, we can't do any worse.

And I think we'll keep at least one more offensive lineman, probably an OT. Maybe Capizzi, maybe Foster, maybe Hills, although I've got to say his prospects don't look too great with all the competition they've suddenly got there.

Here's the thing ... we have 3 RG's right now ... Essex, Urbik and Stapleton.

I'm guessing the team is buying time with Essex there until Urbik develops THIS season. Once Urbik develops at RG, then Essex could become that flex player who can play Guard and Tackle. He'd be the backup Tackle if that is the case.

The Lakelander
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
O.K. ... great discussion here about Bruce Davis.

I'm not impressed with the guy at all either. He just lacks something.

Can he develop into an inside LB in the 3-4?

He can tackle and he can get to the ball. Maybe this is where we end up seeing him make this team?

If not then maybe I completely overlooked Donovan Woods and need to add Woods to my 53.

mmalone
08-06-2009, 11:14 AM

my friend is a die-hard detroit fan.. and he said we will love mcdonald.. he is a strong player who catches balls from any angle.. he said he plays a lot like hines. and if you see his size, he is almost a dupe of ward. so i can see him being the backup for ward as they play the same.

we still need the deep threat so sweed and or wallace has to make the 3rd spot.. no??

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
If not then maybe I completely overlooked Donovan Woods and need to add Woods to my 53.

I have Woods and Fox as the backup ILB's and special teams aces. I think Bailey will be in tough with Davis, Frazier, Arnold Harrison to stay on at OLB.