PDA

View Full Version : What band is playing opening night?

goLERS
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure if this is public knowledge yet but just wondering who I can expect to see play..

7willBheaven
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I do believe i seen on TV that it was gonna be Tim McGraw

goLERS
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I do believe i seen on TV that it was gonna be Tim McGraw

wtf why tim mcgraw? He's a titans fan too...that blows

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
i always tell people that they should have a band from the city of the teams that are playing. but then again, Pittsburgh really doesn't have much in the way of artists. granted, they are decent artists from Pittsburgh, but not well known enough to play an opening day at an NFL game. i'm sure some people out there will prove me wrong, but until then, just go with The Black Keys. they know how to put on a show. it's just too bad they are from Akron, Ohio. haha!

steelreserve
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
What, it's not the Povertyneck Hillbillies anymore? Did whoever they were blowing for that gig get tired of it or something?

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 12:31 PM
the only thing i like about Tim McGraw is his role in "Friday Night Lights". i love that movie. one of my favorite sports films of all time.

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Donnie Iris?

KeiselPower99
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
i always tell people that they should have a band from the city of the teams that are playing. but then again, Pittsburgh really doesn't have much in the way of artists. granted, they are decent artists from Pittsburgh, but not well known enough to play an opening day at an NFL game. i'm sure some people out there will prove me wrong, but until then, just go with The Black Keys. they know how to put on a show. it's just too bad they are from Akron, Ohio. haha!
you want a Pittsburgher playing then we would be stuck with Bret Michaels.

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM

haha! god, i didn't even think of that. now that you mention it, it wouldn't suprise me if they went that route. Poison stills tours and i'm sure there is a new Rock of Love brewing for VH1. it'd be terrible...yet perfect. haha!

Rusted Root and The Clarks are from Pittsburgh. but they're not top billers for a big opening show.

SteveS
08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Why does it always have to be some lame country artist? I remember back in 2006 against the Dolphins, it was some other lame country group (their name escapes me at the moment).

Why can't it be someone like Metallica or even a more radio friendly rock group? Why country ALL the time?!?!

I get that country is popular enough to merit it sometimes, but there ARE other genres out there!

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I forgot about Bret Michaels.

Donnie Iris or Bret Michaels are your homegrown options.

Still, I'd rather have NO band at all rather than have a Country band...yick!

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Why does it always have to be some lame country artist? I remember back in 2006 against the Dolphins, it was some other lame country group (their name escapes me at the moment).

Why can't it be someone like Metallica or even a more radio friendly rock group? Why country ALL the time?!?!

I get that country is popular enough to merit it sometimes, but there ARE other genres out there!

Metallica? maybe if it was a Raiders game. but modern rock is all the same. Nickelback is horrible, 3 Doors Down is now tainted by the Geico Cavemen, and Hinder has fallen off the face of the Earth. Kid Rock is reppin' Detroit and Daughtry just flat out bites wangs. BUT...he'd probably be the only one worth while.

hip hop acts wouldn't fly at all. there is NO artist out there i would want to see play at Heinz Field. unless it was Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, POS, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, or The Roots...but they rep Philly.

sooo...that leaves you with the Zach Brown Band...with musical guest Billy Ray Cyrus and Fall Out Boy! haha!

SteveS
08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Honestly, if it was all up to me, Metallica would be the softest rock group I would consider. A group like Lamb of God would fit my ideal billing just perfectly.

I agree with you that all of the copy and paste cookie cutter radio rock groups can be pretty lame(Linkin Park, Nickelback ...anyone?), but I am not naive enough to think that groups like Lamb of God or Machine Head would actually be commercially viable for an event like this. Howabout Avenged Sevenfold or Godsmack? Even Foo Fighters? In this case, more rock radio friendly groups would have to do. And it would CERTAINLY be better than country music!

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Honestly, if it was all up to me, Metallica would be the softest rock group I would consider. A group like Lamb of God would fit my ideal billing just perfectly.

I agree with you that all of the copy and paste cookie cutter radio rock groups can be pretty lame(Linkin Park, Nickelback ...anyone?), but I am not naive enough to think that groups like Lamb of God or Machine Head would actually be commercially viable for an event like this. Howabout Avenged Sevenfold or Godsmack? Even Foo Fighters? In this case, more rock radio friendly groups would have to do. And it would CERTAINLY be better than country music!

i like Linkin Park. i'm really surprised they are still around actually. i don't really get into metal too much and i'm not judging on what band is or sounds harder, but i LOVE The Bronx, The Gallows, and Rise Against. it's more punk metal, but it's still pretty hard. i dig that kind of rock music. if not that, it's blues rock like The Black Keys, The Night Marchers, and The Black Angels.

i've had a conversation like this regarding the Super bowl halftime show and everyone we talked to said the Foo Fighters would be a great halftime show. they've been around for soooo long and yet the continue to redefine themselves. i can get behind them as a kick off performance. Avenged Sevenfold, i'm on the fence with them.

Rick5895
08-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Metallica would be great especially if they play Enter Sandman live as the Steelers take the field, but Hank jr or Charlie Daniels (both steelers fans) would be awesome to.

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Metallica would be great especially if they play Enter Sandman live as the Steelers take the field, but Hank jr or Charlie Daniels (both steelers fans) would be awesome to.

i don't mind country and i wouldn't mind seeing a classic country artist sing and perform. but apparently, it's not very well received across the masses. so, you'd have to lean towards something in the vien of rock, classic rock, or a mash up with an up and coming band or hip hop act. but it's really not up to us to decide. :noidea:

Gnutella
08-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Problem with some rock bands (particularly the more alternative bands) is that they probably think that football is lame, and so are the people who watch it.

If you want an edgy band that can also be radio-friendly, maybe Shinedown?

BigBenFn7
08-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Because country artists are "safe" and the idea is that you won't have a crazy incident like you would with say, Janet Jackson.

pancake
08-05-2009, 08:31 PM

I would be good with Bret... Not to mention he is a big Steelers fan. :tt:

Stlrs4Life
08-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't believe it is up to the Steelers, it is up to the NFL> Last time we had Rascal Fags. And I love Country. Just not them. Poverty Neck Hillbillies broke up,.

PAMillerGrrl83
08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Typically if your talking about a band playing the star spangled baner, uhm I dont think a lot of these bands your mentioning would sound quite right. For halftime I dunno really whatever floats your boat. Not only that but what the heck does EVERYONE Seem to have against country music???

Jackal
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Problem with some rock bands (particularly the more alternative bands) is that they probably think that football is lame, and so are the people who watch it.

If you want an edgy band that can also be radio-friendly, maybe Shinedown?

Good call- they've been getting a lot of airplay with "Second Chance," even though it's far from their best song.

Country should be reserved for NASCAR and NASCAR only.

vader29
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Rusted Root and The Clarks are from Pittsburgh. but they're not top billers for a big opening show.

I saw The Clarks perform live for the first time last weekend at a local fair and they were sooooo good, can't understand why they aren't more popular nationally.

SteelCityKing
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
i'd like to know what everyone has against country. i really don't mind it. i listen to so many different genres of music and i love classic country. it all sounds good to me. i think people just pigeonhole country music with rednecks and poor white trash. even though country music probably has become more popular over the years, people still dump on it because of it's comparison with NASCAR and Backyard Wrestling! haha!

Johnny Cash would be rolling over in his grave right now. The Man in Black (and Gold) would be pissed! haha!

JackHammer
08-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Typically if your talking about a band playing the star spangled baner, uhm I dont think a lot of these bands your mentioning would sound quite right. For halftime I dunno really whatever floats your boat. Not only that but what the heck does EVERYONE Seem to have against country music???

i'd like to know what everyone has against country. i really don't mind it. i listen to so many different genres of music and i love classic country. it all sounds good to me. i think people just pigeonhole country music with rednecks and poor white trash. even though country music probably has become more popular over the years, people still dump on it because of it's comparison with NASCAR and Backyard Wrestling! haha!

Johnny Cash would be rolling over in his grave right now. The Man in Black (and Gold) would be pissed! haha!

Check the OP again. It's not that people here have a big problem with country music. We're just sick of country music being the only music of just about EVERY Steelers event that involves live music. Albeit, this year it's in the NFL hands, but we're still going to have to listen to country music at yet another Steelers event. We just want something DIFFERENT for once.

SteelCityKing
08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
something different would be nice and now i realize that the chances of getting Johnny Cash are virtually impossible, but i guess debating about it really gets us nowhere and we'll just have to leave it in the NFLs hands.

*keeping fingers crossed for Lady Gaga!*

RJC
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
If it were up to me, which clearly it isn't, I'd want 'Kid Rock'. There's a guy who can cover the entire spectrum of musical tastes. You want Rock? He does Rock. You want Rap? He does Rap. You want Country? Yeah, he does that too. Super versatile musician with a song for every taste.,,,

JackHammer
08-06-2009, 10:44 PM
If it were up to me, which clearly it isn't, I'd want 'Kid Rock'. There's a guy who can cover the entire spectrum of musical tastes. You want Rock? He does Rock. You want Rap? He does Rap. You want Country? Yeah, he does that too. Super versatile musician with a song for every taste.,,,

Yeah. He's underrated as a musician. I saw him live once and he was a GREAT performer. He had this one part of his concert where he just went off with any instrument he could get his hands on. First he did a guitar solo, then he get on the drums, then he went to the keyboard, and lastly he did some spinning on the turn tables. He pretty much kicked ass on every instrument too. The guy has A LOT of talent, stage presence, and he just flat out knows how to put on a show. It's too bad that he'd never get on an NFL venue because of his image(that he earned btw). It'd be a great show if it ever happened.

sixstringlass
08-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Not that I am recommending her music in any way, but isn't Christina Aguilera from Pittsburgh?

millwalldavey
08-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Instead of getting lame crap, they should try to get an original, uncompromising band.

HAIL MOTORHEAD!

Gnutella
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Good call- they've been getting a lot of airplay with "Second Chance," even though it's far from their best song.

Country should be reserved for NASCAR and NASCAR only.

I liked "Second Chance" the first time I heard it last fall, but I've liked a lot of Shinedown songs the first time I've heard them. By last Christmas, I was convinced that "Second Chance" had a shot at crossing over to Top 40 radio. Boy was I right!

I'd love to see them perform "Devour" before a football game. That song gets me hyped up.

Gnutella
08-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I saw The Clarks perform live for the first time last weekend at a local fair and they were sooooo good, can't understand why they aren't more popular nationally.

Because people throughout the rest of the country think that Pittsburgh is some sort of cultural wasteland. Think about Christina Aguilera for a moment. Everybody knows that she was born on Staten Island, yet her years in Pittsburgh are downplayed except when talking about all the bitches-in-training who got angry when they lost to her at talent shows. Never mind that it was in Pittsburgh when her reputation began to take off, singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Steelers and Pirates games.

Jackal
08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I liked "Second Chance" the first time I heard it last fall, but I've liked a lot of Shinedown songs the first time I've heard them. By last Christmas, I was convinced that "Second Chance" had a shot at crossing over to Top 40 radio. Boy was I right!

I'd love to see them perform "Devour" before a football game. That song gets me hyped up.

Agreed....great gym song.

vasteeler
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Instead of getting lame crap, they should try to get an original, uncompromising band.

HAIL MOTORHEAD!

that would be great
never gonna happen
but would be great

SteelMember
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I know they formed in Chicago, but someone should give Tommy Shaw a few bucks to bring in Styx.

A live rendition of Renegade...undeniable. The fans would go crazy. :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Is Styx still together? If so, why not them?

Otherwise why not a local talent like Donnie Iris or The Clarks?

bigjamesharrison2
08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Is Styx still together?

Yeah, they are. They just came by our local firehouse on one of their tours with 38 special.

08-11-2009, 09:41 AM
There's no substitue for Iron Maiden

SteelMember
08-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Free concert by Black Eyed Peas, McGraw to kick off Steelers' season
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
By Sharon Eberson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Black Eyed Peas and Tim McGraw will jump-start the Steelers' season with a free concert at Point State Park on opening night, Sept. 10.

Details are being worked out about other acts and when the big names will go onstage, although the headliners will certainly be part of the live pre-game simulcast from 8 to 8:30 p.m. on NBC and NFL Network. Kickoff for the Steelers-Titans game at Heinz Field is scheduled for 8:30.

The free festivities begin at 4 p.m. at Point State Park, which will have specific entry points for the public that night. An NFL spokeswoman said the NFL has been working closely with the city and the mayor's office on those details.

The kickoff concert marks the sixth consecutive year the NFL has saluted the Super Bowl champions with a home opener on a Thursday in prime-time. Last year, the concert celebrating the New York Giants ran into television reports on the Republican National Convention, and the pre-game show wasn't broadcast live.

In 2006, after the Steelers' one-for-the-thumb championship, Rascal Flatts and Martina McBride played in Heinz Field as part of the pregame party. Diddy and other acts were featured live from Miami, because the Steelers played the Dolphins that night.

The Black Eyed Peas and Mr. McGraw own three Grammys each. Fergie, the lead singer of the Black Eyed Peas, played a solo concert at the Byham in 2007, but it's been about six years since the band made an appearance here. Mr. McGraw was at the Post-Gazette Pavilion in July of last year.

The NFL also announced that there will be local radio promotions in which fans can win free tickets to watch the concert from designated areas, and there will be opportunities for some fans to be up-close to the stage throughout the broadcast portion of the concert.

http://postgazette.com/pg/09224/990187-388.stm

revefsreleets
08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow...the worst of all worlds...