PDA

View Full Version : The Tank's on Track

unlvrebelx
08-05-2009, 03:18 PM
See the article @ http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/03/sports/doc4a77b2d2f02f1419913625.txt

The Tank's on track

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:05 AM EDT
LATROBE — At training camp, everyone knows “Tank.”

It’s hard to miss the human bowling ball running back renowned for his bruising style of play.

But this isn’t UNLV, where Frank Summers played for two years. This is St. Vincent College, the summertime home of the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

“When you carry a nickname like ‘Tank,’ guys are going to try you,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “They want him to prove that nickname is earned. That’s the nature of the National Football League. This is a show-me game, and he’s starting to understand that.”

Summers, a rookie taken in the fifth round of this year’s draft, is finding out he’s a marked man.

Because of his build and reputation, the Steelers’ defense has its sights on “Tank” wherever he goes. He’s been part of two of the most vicious hits in camp so far.

“I guess it’s their way of saying ‘welcome to the NFL,’” said the 5-foot-10, 247-pound Summers.

The first violent collision came on the last play of Sunday afternoon’s practice. As Summers ran with the football toward the sideline, he was drilled by linebacker Keyaron Fox and cornerback William Gay. As the sound of the impact resonated throughout the practice field, the ball popped loose and the Steeler defenders whooped it up. “Tank” was stopped in his tracks.

Then at Monday’s morning session, Summers and linebacker Lawrence Timmons crossed paths with great force.

“When you have a name like ‘Tank’, you already have a bull’s eye on your back,” defensive end Brett Keisel said. “Guys have been popping him and letting him know that ‘Tank’ can be hit, too.

“But to his credit, he gets hit, he gets right back up and he runs back to the huddle. That says a lot about him.”

Summers first got his nickname when his mother pinned it on him as a kid growing up in Oakland, Calif.

“It stuck with me ever since, and no, I don’t mind it at all,” he said.

A star halfback on his high school team, Summers originally signed with California of the Pac-10. After not faring well academically as a freshman, he transferred to a junior college. From there, he went to UNLV where he played tailback and rushed for 928 and 740 yards, respectively, the past two seasons.

So far with the Steelers, he’s playing both halfback and fullback. Surely, the Steelers will experiment with him in camp as their short-yardage and goal-line back.

“It’s a faster speed, the physicality of the game is off the chart, and the mental aspect of the game is much harder,” Summers said of his transition from college to pro football. “It’s definitely a different ball game up here. If you aren’t prepared mentally and physically, you’re going to get left behind and knocked out.”

If Summers can master his playbook, he could end up being the one who is delivering knockout hits as a Steeler. Certainly, the coaches are intrigued by his potential and will likely give him plenty of chances to see if he can make the grade.

For example, Summers had seven repetitions on Monday in a “backs vs. ‘backers” drill in which running backs have to block blitzing linebackers. No other back had more reps.

It’s a tough drill for running backs. But on this day, Summers held his own. He lost a few battles but won more than his share.

“You have to remember, we have the No 1. defense in the world, and they have a lot of pride on that side of the ball,” running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. “So if you can play against our defense, you can play against anyone in the National Football League.

“Our defense, they’re just doing their job. They’re hunting, they’re hitting, they’re attacking and they’re running to the ball. That’s going to help Frank became a hard, NFL-type player because this is a level of intensity and violence he hasn’t seen before in his life. It’s part of his growth. It’s a good thing.”

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 03:21 PM
aslong as he's not confused with Tank Johnson...then he'll be fine in my eyes.

4n2t0
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I've never wanted a 5th round pick to work out more than Summers. It would be nice to have a guaranteed insta-yard type guy back on the team. Get 'em 1 or more yard(s) every time and they'll find a place for him.

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
he'll eventually make his way into the rotation and if/when he does, he'll make big moves. everyone seemed to have had doubts surrounding Moore, but he's now a key player and he's got skills. i like him. Summers could pull off that role too, except with more power. it sounds to me like he's a Maurice Jones-Drew type. a mover and shaker. he'll do it. =)

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
he'll eventually make his way into the rotation and if/when he does, he'll make big moves. everyone seemed to have had doubts surrounding Moore, but he's now a key player and he's got skills. i like him. Summers could pull off that role too, except with more power. it sounds to me like he's a Maurice Jones-Drew type. a mover and shaker. he'll do it. =)

Just heard on-line that he is lowering his shoulder and looked like "Bettis" with the way several DB's had to converge on him....VERY good news!!!:thumbsup:

mmalone
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Just heard on-line that he is lowering his shoulder and looked like "Bettis" with the way several DB's had to converge on him....VERY good news!!!:thumbsup:

Sounds better already for the Tank.....

He kinda looks like this... except with a 44 on him....

mmalone
08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
“I guess it’s their way of saying ‘welcome to the NFL,’” said the 5-foot-10, 247-pound Summers.

seems like he gained a bit more weight also....

he was 225 when drafted, then 230, once in a while 241 then 243, now he is 247

hmm... wonder what he really weighs.

SteelCityKing
08-05-2009, 03:43 PM

i don't know about you brother, but i REALLY miss Jerome Bettis! if he's plowing like the Bus...then more power to him. i'll take that comparison over MJD. even though i made that comparison. not anyone else. haha!

anything to bring more power to an already powerful football team...that's awesome.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd be happy if the tank just showed some receiving out of the backfield and that he could be a big contributor on special teams. That way he can supplant Carey Davis on the roster.

atlsteelers
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd be happy if the tank just showed some receiving out of the backfield and that he could be a big contributor on special teams. That way he can supplant Carey Davis on the roster.

somebody please beat cary davis out of his roster spot.

mmalone
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM

In 2007 he lead the team with special team tackles he had 17 tackles. During the 2008 season, his production declined as the Steelers offense became more passing-oriented in the singleback formation. Midseason, he was replaced as starting fullback by tight end/fullback Sean McHugh. Going in to the 2009 season, his future remains uncertain with the Steelers as they drafted fullback/halfback Frank Summers and the contract extension of McHugh. Coach Mike Tomlin has praised his catching ability for short passes, but little of that ability has been shown during games.

Maybe Arians balances out the singleback formation and uses 2 backs more.

Maybe Carey should be kept one more year... we do have these rb's also......

33 Redman, Isaac RB 6-0 230 11/10/84 R Bowie State
28 Vincent, Justin RB 5-10 219 1/25/83 1 Louisiana State
41 Logan, Stefan RB 5-7 185 6/2/81 1 South Dakota

pancake
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I can't wait for the first preseason game to see these youngsters go at it in a live game. :helmet:

pancake
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
In 2007 he lead the team with special team tackles he had 17 tackles. During the 2008 season, his production declined as the Steelers offense became more passing-oriented in the singleback formation. Midseason, he was replaced as starting fullback by tight end/fullback Sean McHugh. Going in to the 2009 season, his future remains uncertain with the Steelers as they drafted fullback/halfback Frank Summers and the contract extension of McHugh. Coach Mike Tomlin has praised his catching ability for short passes, but little of that ability has been shown during games.

Maybe Arians balances out the singleback formation and uses 2 backs more.

Maybe Carey should be kept one more year... we do have these rb's also......

28 Vincent, Justin RB 5-10 219 1/25/83 1 Louisiana State
41 Logan, Stefan RB 5-7 185 6/2/81 1 South Dakota

I have been hearing good things about Redman and Logan.

4n2t0
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM

From what I've seen (Not much, youtube stuff) it looks like he has very good hands.

Stlrs4Life
08-05-2009, 05:33 PM

I hear ya!

I heared this about Tank though:

Frank "The Tank" Summers hasn't shown himself to be the physical bruiser yet that the Steelers are hoping for in a power back. He needs to run behind his pads, which hopefully is something he'll learn after James Harrison lights him up a couple a times.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I read this in the Beaver County Times the other day- Great Article

mmalone
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I hear ya!

I heared this about Tank though:

Frank "The Tank" Summers hasn't shown himself to be the physical bruiser yet that the Steelers are hoping for in a power back. He needs to run behind his pads, which hopefully is something he'll learn after James Harrison lights him up a couple a times.

this quote in the article matches his video.. jumping up after he gets buried by 4 defenders... sounds like he is playing his game.

Article:

“When you have a name like ‘Tank’, you already have a bull’s eye on your back,” defensive end Brett Keisel said. “Guys have been popping him and letting him know that ‘Tank’ can be hit, too.

“But to his credit, he gets hit, he gets right back up and he runs back to the huddle. That says a lot about him.”

SteveS
08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
The funny thing is that despite the fact that there seems to be sentiment amongst some that Frank is struggling a bit, nowhere have I read that he is having trouble with agility, finding holes, having bad footwork, etc. They just say a few guys have hit him hard. That tells me nothing. The best player of all time could be hit hard. So what?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
The funny thing to me is how many people here are hanging on every report in the hopes that Frank is ............"the next great power back".

He's a late round guy that is built like a fire hydrant and might take a year or 2 to contribute anything meaningful.

In other news....somebody said the product of Moon Tsp, A Q Shipley "looked good in practice" :rolleyes: We just found the center of the future:banana:

SteveS
08-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I am just warning everyone to not turn this into a doom and gloom outlook for Frank. I am in no way saying he is going to be some pro bowl caliber RB in his first year. Don't take my comments out of context plase.:banging:

theplatypus
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I have been hearing good things about Redman and Logan.

Yesterday I was reading one of those chat transcripts and the guy said that Logan looked as if he would be cut(if I remember correctly).

Viz-Burgh: Ed, what's the word on Stefan Logan? Saw he was activated from PUP yesterday AM & practiced, but then heard he missed the afternoon. Did he practice this AM? Any word on him?

Ed Bouchette: Logan looks like a guy headed for the cut list.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=37492

mmalone
08-05-2009, 06:57 PM
The funny thing to me is how many people here are hanging on every report in the hopes that Frank is ............"the next great power back".

He's a late round guy that is built like a fire hydrant and might take a year or 2 to contribute anything meaningful.

In other news....somebody said the product of Moon Tsp, A Q Shipley "looked good in practice" :rolleyes: We just found the center of the future:banana:

Stapleton may not be back, Shipley may be closer than you think...

We need solid Fullback, so we are all hoping he can pull it off...

7 more days.....

Stlrs4Life
08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I am just warning everyone to not turn this into a doom and gloom outlook for Frank. I am in no way saying he is going to be some pro bowl caliber RB in his first year. Don't take my comments out of context plase.:banging:

I agree. I hardly ever expect too much from any Rookie.

HometownGal
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Saw him at TC this afternoon and he definitely is a bruiser. Runs hard and does remind me a bit of The Bus. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
08-05-2009, 11:01 PM
In 2007 he lead the team with special team tackles he had 17 tackles.

i do love the turn around in our ST's punt and kick off coverage. i think alot of us just want our cake and to eat it too...

(from 1 average joe bloggers notes)

-Carey Davis and Fox once again look like the toughest ones to block on the cover teams. Those of you who want to jettison Davis should keep that in mind.

LVSteelersfan
08-06-2009, 02:19 AM
PLEASE jettison Carey Davis. Somehow I doubt it will happen since I want it to so much. I wanted Russell gone for good last year as well. It finally happened, but not soon enough for my taste. Some people like Russell. I thought he was pathetic.

Galax Steeler
08-06-2009, 05:16 AM
That way he can supplant Carey Davis on the roster.

We can only hope.:popcorn:

mmalone
08-06-2009, 06:56 AM
PLEASE jettison Carey Davis. Somehow I doubt it will happen since I want it to so much. I wanted Russell gone for good last year as well. It finally happened, but not soon enough for my taste. Some people like Russell. I thought he was pathetic.

49 McHugh, Sean TE 6-5 265 5/27/82 6 Penn State

44 Summers, Frank RB 5-10 247 9/6/85 R

38 Davis, Carey FB 5-10 225 3/27/81 4

of these four players, i question McHugh as a FB... where in the league do we have
6-5 FB's? he is 265... but he has to go low....

at this point i would have to say carey, frank stay for blocking and short yardage.

redman or vincent hit the PS but mchugh stays in his TE position..

Kaeg
08-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Yesterday I was reading one of those chat transcripts and the guy said that Logan looked as if he would be cut(if I remember correctly).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=37492

OK. Seems to be some conflicting info floating around. I wonder which is more accurate. I've signed up for that text update service from SONGWHALE. Two days ago I got this about Stefan Logan. (Yes, this is an actual quote from the service.)
"Stefan Logan looks like he could be the best punt returner in camp - a Randle El with more speed."
Does anyone else get SONGWHALE text updates? Is there reason to think they are reliable or not?

Texasteel
08-06-2009, 07:54 AM

I don't think it's doom and gloom, It's just that, this is the NFL not UNLV, he is learning that himself big time. Frank is going to need work to get where he can be. The very good new is, he looks to have a good audited, and it looks like he is will to put in that kind of work. I believe he will be a player for the Steelers, just not sure we will see him much this year after pre-season.

Sharkissle29
08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
OK. Seems to be some conflicting info floating around. I wonder which is more accurate. I've signed up for that text update service from SONGWHALE. Two days ago I got his about Stefan Logan. (Yes, this is an actual quote from the service.)
"Stefan Logan looks like he could be the best punt returner in camp - a Randle El with more speed."
Does anyone else get SONGWHALE text updates? Is there reason to think they are reliable or not?

I also get the text updates and am not sure who to believe?? only time will tell

mmalone
08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I also get the text updates and am not sure who to believe?? only time will tell

its the doucheETTE media guy thats thrown the curve balls.

basically most of the rookies wont make it as starters, so he talks like they wont make it.

that way percentage wise he will be right...

if a rookie makes it, then he'll say that suprised him and how excited he is he made the team..

thats my take anyway.....

Psyychoward86
08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh, i thought it was just William Gay alone that nailed him. I'm not as impressed anymore about that hit lol.