PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Pittsburgh advice

SCSTILLER
08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
OK, I am not moving to Pittsburgh, but my cousin and her fiance are probably moving to Pittsburgh from Charlotte. She asked me if I could do some fact finding for her and I figure, hey, there are people that live in Pittsburgh on the forum (who woulda thunk it). Now, I used to know the city pretty well about 14 years ago, but not now. They want to live in Pittsbugh, not the suburbs. What part of Pittsburgh, if you were moving there today, would you want to live in? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank You in advance!

HometownGal
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
OK, I am not moving to Pittsburgh, but my cousin and her fiance are probably moving to Pittsburgh from Charlotte. She asked me if I could do some fact finding for her and I figure, hey, there are people that live in Pittsburgh on the forum (who woulda thunk it). Now, I used to know the city pretty well about 14 years ago, but not now. They want to live in Pittsbugh, not the suburbs. What part of Pittsburgh, if you were moving there today, would you want to live in? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank You in advance!

Actually - I wouldn't want to live in the City, thus my living in the South 'burbs most of my life, but if I had absolutely no choice, I'd probably choose Shadyside (very trendy and well taken care of older Victorian homes). Some of the homes are a little pricey, but there are some nice apartment complexes there and some very nice rental homes. The only downside is that several of the "bad neighborhoods" aren't too far away, i.e. back side of Oakland, Lincoln/Larimer, East Liberty (known here as "Sliberty" :chuckle:) and Homewood, but no matter where you live within the City limits, you have to travel through a bad neighborhood to get there.

SteelCityMom
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Agree with HTG...there are a lot of places in the surrounding area that are real nice that are still very close to the city (North Hills, Cranberry, Bridgeville, Sewickly, South Hills).

In the city, the best areas to go are Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Greenfield. Mt. Washington has some nice homes, but it's probably one of the most inconvenient places to live in the winter time.

KeiselPower99
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Mt Washington is where the Inclines are right?

HometownGal
08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Mt Washington is where the Inclines are right?

Yeppers. If you don't want to pay the sky high prices to live on Grandview Avenue up there, you're kind of stuck with an old house on one of the back streets. That's why I didn't recommend Mt. Washington.