PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Speedy Timmons adds new dimension

Galax Steeler
08-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Forget about a competition with Larry Foote. The best battle for Lawrence Timmons was always whether he could close faster on the ball than Troy Polamalu, the original Tasmanian Devil. It was a competition his teammates would like to see. And none of them are ready to discount the 245-pound inside linebacker.

"They're neck and neck," said inside linebacker James Farrior.

"I don't know," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "It would be close."

In just two years with the Steelers, Timmons' explosiveness and ability to close on a ballcarrier are already the stuff of legend. Now, entering his third season as the first player drafted by Mike Tomlin, he has a chance to showcase his awesome physical ability on a full-time basis, not just as a blitzing, pass-covering linebacker who spent his first two seasons playing mostly in the team's substitution packages (nickel and dime defenses).

And his teammates on the NFL's No. 1 defense seem just as eager to have Timmons be an every-down player, as he prepares to become a starter in the league.

"He's probably one of the best athletes we have on the team," said Farrior, Foote's long-time partner at inside linebacker. "He's very explosive."

"He just has rockets in his butt," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "He can run like I haven't seen a lot of guys run."

The Steelers granted Foote's wish in the offseason and released him after five years as one of their starting inside linebackers, clearing the way for Timmons to step in to what is arguably the best group of linebackers in the NFL. Timmons is not a run-stuffing linebacker such as Foote; rather, he has the speed and athleticism to be a defensive playmaker -- a player who can blitz from any direction but also drop into coverage against running backs, tight ends and, on occasion, wide receivers.

And, because he played in all the substitution packages, Timmons will become an every-down player with the Steelers, something Foote did not do.

"It's not a bad trade, either way," Townsend said. "It's a plus for our team. Foote was a great player. Timmons is going to be a great player."

Foote was a five-year starter after being drafted in the fourth round in 2002, but he asked to be released in the offseason because he knew he was going to phased out for Timmons -- something he had known almost from the time Timmons was the 15th overall selection in 2007. Also, Foote was due to make nearly $3 million this season and was unwilling to take a pay cut.

One week after Foote was released, he signed a one-year contract with his hometown Detroit Lions, a move that took him from the top of the NFL to the absolute bottom.

"He was a very smart player," Farrior said. "He helped me out a lot. I'm looking forward to working with Timmons, but I feel like I'm going to have to help him out a lot more than he's helping me."

"A huge run stuffer," Keisel said. "Foote was great at getting his nose right up in there and stuffing the run. And we lose great leader in the locker room. But that's the way football is. Every year you lose a friend."

And sometimes you gain a great player.

Timmons' athleticism is nearly unmatched on the team. He has lined up at just about every position on the field, except for nose tackles, and is often asked to cover running backs and wide receivers.

And, with the possible exception of Polamalu, there isn't another player on the team who closes on the ball faster and with more explosion than Timmons, even after adding nearly 10 pounds in the offseason.

"I don't know if Troy can come through faster than Timmons," said outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who was drafted in the second round behind Timmons in 2007. "He comes through with so much power and explosion. He's not scared to take on an offensive lineman. You don't find guys like that a lot. Usually those guys are scared to take on those offensive linemen."

Said Townsend: "Once [Timmons] pushes that foot down to go, he's going. He gets there in a hurry."

Even if it took him three years to get his chance to start.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09219/989150-66.stm

BlockMonsta
08-07-2009, 05:38 AM
All that speed yet was one yard short of 90.

The Definiti0n
08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Timmons was the only draft pick I ever guessed right lol. This is Tomlin's Derrick Brooks.

Kaeg
08-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm so freakin excited about this season! I can't stand it!

KeiselPower99
08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
5 sacks last year playing behind Foote. Imagine what he will be like this year. I think our D is gonna be better this year.

Fire Haley
08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope he has a monster year.

All that speed on the outside is great - but can he stick his nose in the pile and tackle the ballcarrier at the line after fighting off G's and OT's? - that's his job now, stuff the run. No dancing around piles, get up in there and bust them at the LOS. That's what I want to see him do. The #1 Defense is counting on him.

LambertLunatic
08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
He's not scared to take on an
(STEELER) offensive lineman. You don't find guys like that a lot. Usually those guys are scared to take on those offensive linemen, EXCEPT FOR STEELER OFFENSIVE LINEMEN, WHICH ISN'T NEARLY AS SCARY."

Sorry, Mr Woodley, but I had to correct that for you.

Let's face it, Timmons isn't going up against elite O linemen. This isn't a diss against him, but let's reserve judgement till we see Timmons against better O lines.

benfan7
08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Timmons will have a monster season, he's just a special player. How often do you find a 245 pd linebacker who can play everywhere and has the same closing speed as Troy Polumalu? not to many...

Fire Haley
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Can he stay healthy in the trench wars up front? That's my biggest concern.

Say what you want about Foote - but he never missed a game in 5 years from injury. That's pretty amazing.

Dizzle43
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I can't wait to see what great things Timmons can do this upcoming season!!

ANDYMISIU
08-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Everyone is worried about Timmons being able to stuff the run. I don't think he's bad at run defense, he's just not as good as Foote was. However, Foote wasn't as good at blitzing or coverage. The Steelers will use guys in ways that emphasize there strengths. I think having Timmons in the lineup on every down will give the Steelers many more options to confuse a defense. I wouldn't be surprised if Woodley and Timmons did a lot of stunts on running downs. Woodley would bust up the running lanes and Timmons would run blitz from the outside. Also, you'll see a lot of Timmons dropping back in coverage and Polamalu blitzing. The options that Timmons gives this team are endless and it's going to be hell for offenses to get a read on them. This will be a huge year for our defense.

Fire Haley
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Everyone is worried about Timmons being able to stuff the run..

You mean like his teammates?

"He was a very smart player," Farrior said. "He helped me out a lot. I'm looking forward to working with Timmons, but I feel like I'm going to have to help him out a lot more than he's helping me."

"A huge run stuffer," Keisel said. "Foote was great at getting his nose right up in there and stuffing the run. And we lose great leader in the locker room. But that's the way football is. Every year you lose a friend."

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Neither of the two quotes cited said anything about their confidence in his ability to stop the run....

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
As near as I can tell, Timmons got this reputation of not being able to stop the run based on one, single play-- when he got bowled over by L'Ron McClain, early in the season.

Since then, he was pretty much the full time starter by the time the playoffs rolled around, and our defense was pretty stout. Darren Sproles managed a whole whopping 15 yards on 11 carries against us....

Granted, I wasn't just watching LT specifically, but....he seems to have picked up a negative rep for no good reason.

ANDYMISIU
08-08-2009, 12:20 AM

These are not knocks against Timmons but praises of Foote. Farriors comment of Foote being a smart player and helping Farrior is more of a knowledge thing. Foote was just as knowledgable as Farrior and therefor could help in seeing things on the field. Timmons isn't as seasoned as these two so Farrior is gonna have to mentor Timmons. That's not any different than any young player at any position.

Not to mention you left out all the quotes commenting on how fast Timmons closes on the ball carrior, how he's the most athletic player on the team, and how he's a special player. I guess they always talked that good about Foote when he was here too, or............ maybe not.

Fire Haley
08-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Of course they are praising Foote, he was part of that defense for 5 years - but you'll never hear anything but bad things about him around here.

As for Timmons - the time for talk is over - it's time to show up and produce.

Fire Haley
08-08-2009, 12:25 PM
As near as I can tell, Timmons got this reputation of not being able to stop the run based on one, single play-- when he got bowled over by L'Ron McClain, early in the season.

Granted, I wasn't just watching LT specifically, but....he seems to have picked up a negative rep for no good reason.

I watched every play of every game over and over and over. I noticed him.

Timmons like to dance around piles too much and still patty cakes with OLineman up front. But I trust LeBeau to put him in the right place in this defense and do a good job.

I'd guess he gets 50-60 tackles this year and 3-4 sacks if not more...

But individual stats aren't the most important thing though...this ain't Madden

#1 against the pass
#2 against the rush
#1 total defense

That's the standard for the D now.
Just do it.

PA/VA Guy
08-08-2009, 08:11 PM
If Timmons stays healthy and does anything close to what Larry Foote did for us, I'll be ecstatic!
:noidea:

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Of course they are praising Foote, he was part of that defense for 5 years - but you'll never hear anything but bad things about him around here.

As for Timmons - the time for talk is over - it's time to show up and produce.

That is a shame about Foote. As far as I have seen, he has never been a fan favorite on any message boards and I don't know why. I remember back when Kimo exploded Carson Palmer's knee, Steelers fans everywhere were saying to get rid of him for being "classless" and whatnot (he was flipping the crowd the bird while Palmer was getting carted away, but the crowd WAS asking for it, throwing beer bottles and crap at our guys).

I AM excited about Timmons taking over this year, but not at the expense of being happy to see Foote go. He was a valuable part of a finely tuned machine. I wish him the best of luck in Detroit, and seriously can't blame him for going.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I watched every play of every game over and over and over. I noticed him.

Timmons like to dance around piles too much and still patty cakes with OLineman up front. But I trust LeBeau to put him in the right place in this defense and do a good job.

I'd guess he gets 50-60 tackles this year and 3-4 sacks if not more...
He will probably have better stats than that, he had those numbers last year as a 3rd/4th down ILB.

But individual stats aren't the most important thing though...this ain't Madden

For sure. "Tackles" is an almost meaningless stat for defenders. Having lots of tackles could just mean that you were the perceived weak link and the other teams ran the ball at you a lot, so of course, you better have lots of tackles.

All in all, I guess Timmons hasn't been as good at stuffing the run...yet. But he definitely adds a new dimension to our pass rush, and the thought of having two "rovers" roaming around causing havoc for opposing offenses makes me drool...I am hoping that Tom Brady leaves with a #94, #56, and #92 permanently stamped onto his body (if we get to play them in the post-season, and settle the silly debate as to which franchise is better, once and for all).

#1 against the pass
#2 against the rush
#1 total defense

That's the standard for the D now.
Just do it.

No doubt. WIll be scary if our defense is even better this year.

BlockMonsta
08-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I see Timmons getting alot more then 3-4 sacks, I can imagine....all three in double digits. Did someone not say he saw #94 in Miami or something at a bowling tounry and he looked much bigger? Well see, I am sure he is going to be fine. Foote like Farrior got the job done hopefully we wont miss him.

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
"We need Timmons to be a bust so we can afford to keep him when his contract is up"

< Idiot >

Preacher
08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
"We need Timmons to be a bust so we can afford to keep him when his contract is up"

< Idiot >

:toofunny:

simonsfs30
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pk5CieZGpE&NR=1

ANDYMISIU
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pk5CieZGpE&NR=1

WTF? Timmons slipped and got pushed down! it was a great blocking play! I see no holding on that play. Just goes to show how many idiots scream at the TV for holding and don't know what there looking at. I hate that.

simonsfs30
08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
that was posted by the guy who put out the video in you tube i like the intenssity that timmons puts on bliztes