PDA

View Full Version : No. 2 QB job is Batch's to lose

Fire Haley
08-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Steelers QB Batch serves as mentor to Dixon

Batch has proven to be as resilient as he is reliable, and with training camp less than a week old, it is clear that the No. 2 spot at quarterback behind starter Ben Roethlisberger is his to lose.

Or, as offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said earlier this week when asked if Batch is in competition with second-year man Dennis Dixon, "It's Charlie's, and Dennis is growing."

The two got their share of work Wednesday afternoon — coach Mike Tomlin opted to rest Roethlisberger — for different reasons.

Batch is still knocking the rust off after missing the 2008 season, while Dixon needs all of the repetitions he can get after attempting just one pass his rookie season.

In addition to re-establishing himself as the Steelers' No. 2 quarterback, Batch continues to mentor Dixon — and essentially prepare the former Oregon star to one day take his job.

Dixon is still very much a work-in-progress as the first week of camp has shown. But the 6-3, 209-pounder said he has gotten much more comfortable in the Steelers' offense.

"I have a lot to learn, but what a difference a year makes," said Dixon, who appeared in just one game last season. "Things are starting to slow down for me."

Dixon, a running as well as a passing threat in college, said he is open to taking snaps as a "Wildcat" quarterback. Arians, however, said earlier this week that he has no plans to add the subpackage to the Steelers' offense in part because "Dennis would get broken in half."

That means Dixon, barring injury or a dismal preseason by Batch, will spend at least another year learning.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_636967.html

----------------------------------

Well there ya go

MasterOfPuppets
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Arians, however, said earlier this week that he has no plans to add the subpackage to the Steelers' offense in part because "Dennis would get broken in half."
thats about the lamest excuse i've ever heard. being a "running " qb in college, i'd venture to say he took more hits than ben, or parker did in college... yet he's still in one piece ... if i was dixon, i'd be all over arians for making me sound like a wuss..:coffee:

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 02:29 PM
College hits (especially in the Pac-10 where defense isn't always a priority) differ greatly from professional hits.

MasterOfPuppets
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
College hits (especially in the Pac-10 where defense isn't always a priority) differ greatly from professional hits. the guy is 209 lbs ,not 179. the guy is a freakin football player for gods sakes.!!! have you ever heard another coach say they're holding a non injured player back for fear of them getting hurt ? :doh:
if they don't feel the guy is tough enough to be on the field, he shouldn't be on the team...

xfl2001fan
08-07-2009, 02:51 PM
At 6'3, he needs to bulk up about 10-15 more lbs to really take the beating that an NFL/Wildcat QB would take.

J Dogg
08-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I'd rather him learn how to be an actual quaterback instead of a sideshow.

Call me crazy that way.

BurghBoyz86
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I've always thought Chuck Batch was a great back-up and if he would have started more games in 2006, the Steelers would have made the playoffs!!

steelreserve
08-07-2009, 04:27 PM
You know, if they technically named Dixon the No. 2, or listed him at some other position, at least he'd be allowed on the field.

I can't think of any reason we'd want Batch on the field unless Ben really IS hurt bad. In which case, being the No. 3 technically serves us just fine.

HometownGal
08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd rather him learn how to be an actual quaterback instead of a sideshow.

Call me crazy that way.

I'm with you on that 100%. :applaudit: I'd much rather him learn to be a prolific passer than a scatcat. That's what we have RB's for. :banging:

I'm hoping he beats Charlie out for the #2 spot. :hope: As I've said many times, though Charlie is a great guy and would make a good assistant coach, I've never been impressed with him as a QB either in Detroit or here in the Burgh.

Fire Haley
08-07-2009, 05:53 PM
thats about the lamest excuse i've ever heard. ... if i was dixon, i'd be all over arians for making me sound like a wuss..

C'mon - Dixon is skinny as a rail - eat some cheeseburgers dude! Bulk up.

mmalone
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
the guy is 209 lbs ,not 179. the guy is a freakin football player for gods sakes.!!! have you ever heard another coach say they're holding a non injured player back for fear of them getting hurt ? :doh:...

Arians would not know what plays to call with another option in the backfield like an actual offensive running weapon at QB... he has 4 rb's now and cant use 2 at a time ,,, sheesh dixon would be a third..... Back.. an actual 1/4 back

ok... Lets.................. Run Parker up the Middle...

Batch is #2 - Dixon will get hurt...
Got outta that one...

MasterOfPuppets
08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
C'mon - Dixon is skinny as a rail - eat some cheeseburgers dude! Bulk up. randall cunninghah was listed at 6-4 212 lbs.... did he get "broke in half" ???

Fire Haley
08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Stats are for losers

X-Terminator
08-07-2009, 06:23 PM
randall cunninghah was listed at 6-4 212 lbs.... did he get "broke in half" ???

Trust me dude, having seen Dixon in camp, he probably would be broken in half if he was used as a Wildcat-type QB. He looks even thinner than Evgeni Malkin (who is listed at 6'3", 195 lbs. for those who don't know)

HometownGal
08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Arians would not know what plays to call with another option in the backfield like an actual offensive running weapon at QB... he has 4 rb's now and cant use 2 at a time ,,, sheesh dixon would be a third..... Back.. an actual 1/4 back

Gee - aren't you just a ray of sunshine? :coffee: Get that resume in, won't you? :rolleyes:

mmalone
08-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Gee - aren't you just a ray of sunshine? :coffee: Get that resume in, won't you? :rolleyes:

just sarcasm... i like defending the players.

Preacher
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow that HAS to be a record... a week into the new football seasonal evolution... not even the actual season yet... not even preaseason yet...

and already we are hearing the Arians Sucks type posts...

Sigh, this is going to be a long season. Gotta hope we don't lose a game... or it is going to get quite hilarious around here....

unless of course, we throw the ball 2 times a game and run up the middle (well, not willie, cause he obviously sucks) for 3 plus yards all game long and lose... Then we start blaming coach Z.

MasterOfPuppets
08-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Wow that HAS to be a record... a week into the new football seasonal evolution... not even the actual season yet... not even preaseason yet...

Sigh, this is going to be a long season. Gotta hope we don't lose a game... or it is going to get quite hilarious around here....

unless of course, we throw the ball 2 times a game and run up the middle (well, not willie, cause he obviously sucks) for 3 plus yards all game long and lose... Then we start blaming coach Z.
ummmm preacher...it actually never stopped..:doh:

Preacher
08-08-2009, 02:34 AM
ummmm preacher...it actually never stopped..:doh:
:chuckle:

Too true. But hey, when training camp started... I figured we had to start the clock over.

Fire Haley
08-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Trust me dude, having seen Dixon in camp, he probably would be broken in half if he was used as a Wildcat-type QB.

but, but, everybody loves the back-up to the back-up QB.

mmalone
08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
but, but, everybody loves the back-up to the back-up QB.

Dixon was a First round QB until he popped the ACL... Wasnt he a Heisman Candidate?

We picked him up cheap.

If he can play hen beat out Batch he could be a great QB..

You guys pick on Dixon like hes a toddler/wimp, and you give Arians this big pass as he hands us a 23rd ranked offense with no style or pizzaz...

Ben makes the style and ben opens the plays... But how long can Ben survive this game scrambling east and west waiting for open receivers.... We have a great offense... they carry Arians in my opinion... tell me where im wrong.... not just say i am an arians basher... i would love arians if we were a top 5 offense...

what does arians do that is so cool?? let me know? ....:popcorn:

or do i need to install an arians rosie filter package on my flat screen when the offense is on the field??

Fire Haley
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
If he can play hen beat out Batch he could be a great QB..

So do it. College doesn't mean crap now. He has the chance, stop talking and do it.

He'll get lots of reps in preseason games, for sure, starting next Thursday.

Psyychoward86
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Batch is #2 - Dixon will get hurt...
Got outta that one...

It's about execution, not the fact that his playcalling is so called "predictable." Playcalling is one of the most minuscule of variables that could affect a team's success. Including us. Think.

mmalone
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
It's about execution, not the fact that his playcalling is so called "predictable." Playcalling is one of the most minuscule of variables that could affect a team's success. Including us. Think.

Dont get me wrong i still see a SB win coming.. it would be nice to get there with the least amount of casualties.. if ben goes down.. SB 7 is lost.

your right -- about execution.. 'executing' parker and sending him alone into 8 300+ lb lineman with no fullback...... blocker... 15 times a game or more is an execution of another great player.

it executed mendy last year to.. the defense know hes running and they bull rush into our line constantly.

parker is only 10lbs heavier than Dixon... why souldnt parker break in half??

and if playcalling is miniscule then let ben call all the plays, who needs an OC..

i am bad, i watched the afc championship twice last week and got all wound up again about arians... sorry....

it is a new year... i cant wait till thursday....

Fire Haley
08-08-2009, 02:03 PM
parker is only 10lbs heavier than Dixon... why souldnt parker break in half??

Are you high?

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/w_parker_071007_IA.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080503/21/2163497441.jpg

Stick legs

mmalone
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Are you high?

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/w_parker_071007_IA.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080503/21/2163497441.jpg

Stick legs

hmm on the roster they are 14lbs apart

but dixon is 5inches taller.

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 08:21 PM

I suggest you do as I did and put mmalone on ignore. This kid knows NOTHING about football at all, which is fine, but he likes to project his ignorance, which is not, and bash people who DO understand the game, which is SUPER not fine....