PDA

View Full Version : Dixon the wild card

sax
08-08-2009, 08:02 AM
why not use Dixon in the wildcat offense a few plays per game.
Or....Use him like Randel L?

Just use him a few plays a game.....to give a different look to the
offense....use him as a decoy.

Dixon has great natural athletic ability & should be completely recovered from his injury.

He would create a nightmare for defense coordinators!!!

Love to see some of the razzle/dazzle trick plays that confuse the hell
out of the opponent's defense.

Great Defense = More wins

later,
sax

slippy
08-08-2009, 09:16 AM
because we have one of the three best QBs in the league. why take him out for even one play?

solardave
08-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I think we'll see Dixon in this year.If Arians is gonna keep his job the offense needs to be more productive.I mean after all,with the weak defense we have LOL, the o will have to carry us. Seriously though I look to see some flea flickers using him.Probably not early on but as the season progresses.

J Dogg
08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Because we need him to learn how to be a QB and not a sideshow freak.

steelreserve
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, you're about to get a barrage of insults from the Front-Office-Knows-Best crowd.

"Oh no, we should NEVER use him for trick plays because the coaches obviously know something we don't."

"That's not what we drafted him for; we drafted him as a quarterback and the front office obviously knows something we don't, so I'll trust them instead of you, thanks."

Yup, if you ask them, we shouldn't let Dixon on the field at all until his contract is up, and we should keep on running Parker up the middle.

J Dogg
08-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, first off the coaching staff does know more than you because they're paid to be football coaches and you're just a guy on a message board.

Second, we actually do need to develop a guy who can take Batch's spot next season. Why draft someone for that when we can build someone for that.

Last, would anyone be talking about this if Dennis was white?

BlockMonsta
08-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Because he'll get broken in half.

mmalone
08-08-2009, 03:07 PM

wasnt dixon a heisman candidate before he tore the acl??

he must know something about qb'ing

last october there was a note that tomlin was ready to boot arians after the browns and eagles games, ship up or ship out was the sense of things...

well blockmonsta some other post said that playcalling is a miniscule part of the offense... its the execution... the plays dont matter.. just so you know...

its the players that make us a #23 offense not the play calling...

:banging:

mmalone
08-08-2009, 03:12 PM

heres a bit of old news from 2008 after the 2 weeks of browns and eagles offensive
madness....

these are not my words...

*Awful day for the OL. We’ll be dedicating the entire week (frames, analysis/grades, video, breakdowns) to the Offensive Line since nothing else in this game is worth taking another look at. Dallas gave up 0 sacks last week vs Philly. Hmmm…..

*Maybe the worst game of Bruce Arians’ Pittsburgh career. Play-calling was real, real bad. A quote from Albert Einstein…..”Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

*OL, Coaching (OL coach, Head Coach, OCoord), and playcalling need to be discussed heavily this week.

*This was most likely the most boring Steeler game I have watched in the last 10 years.

*The Steelers have a number of offensive weapons that are not being properly utilized. Sure the OL was terrible, but there are other ways to get the ball into the hands of your playmakers.

devilsdancefloor
08-08-2009, 03:43 PM
yeah a bash arians thread oh how i have missed these threads! it would seem to me that hmmm WE WON THE SUPER BOWL even though we lost the iggles. There is ALWAYS gonna be ups and downs in a season. Im not saying i LOVE arians and his sometimes ZZZZzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz .... play calling, but he is the OC asnd until he isnt i have to stand behind him. I cant think of any OC's trhat do not have a job at the moment that could come in and take his place... but BEN seems to be very comfy with him and as far as i am concerned if we are winning and our QB is happy why change OC. It also goes Back to is our OL coach any good? Or is the line still tainted by what faneca did his final year??

BlockMonsta
08-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes wonderful, I know dixon was going for the Heisman, both that award and the season went good bye when Dixon went dont. He can play, and he should play. I was just quoteing what BA said regarding him. If FWP is not effective, why do we keep runnning him when Moore was doing better? And why a QB draw on third down following the flag in the super bowl? I dont understand his play calling, it's a joke at times. But he is the OC, and I am not so he's gonna do what he's gonna do.

fansince'76
08-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, first off the coaching staff does know more than you because they're paid to be football coaches and you're just a guy on a message board.

Careful, or you'll hear it from one or more of the "I-play-a-kick-ass-game-of-Madden-on-the-X-Box-and-have-won-my-Fantasy-Football-League-three-years-running-now-so-I-automatically-know-more-than-the-FO-and-the-coaches-and-could-guide-the-team-to-80-0-blowouts-every-week-if-only-they'd-let-me-be-OC" messageboard savant crowd. :coffee:

X-Terminator
08-08-2009, 04:16 PM
heres a bit of old news from 2008 after the 2 weeks of browns and eagles offensive
madness....

these are not my words...

*Awful day for the OL. We’ll be dedicating the entire week (frames, analysis/grades, video, breakdowns) to the Offensive Line since nothing else in this game is worth taking another look at. Dallas gave up 0 sacks last week vs Philly. Hmmm…..

*Maybe the worst game of Bruce Arians’ Pittsburgh career. Play-calling was real, real bad. A quote from Albert Einstein…..”Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

*OL, Coaching (OL coach, Head Coach, OCoord), and playcalling need to be discussed heavily this week.

*This was most likely the most boring Steeler game I have watched in the last 10 years.

*The Steelers have a number of offensive weapons that are not being properly utilized. Sure the OL was terrible, but there are other ways to get the ball into the hands of your playmakers.

And yet, this team went on to become World Champions.

/THREAD

O Sensei
08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Last year this offense never really got any identity did they? Seriously....lots of injuries, second rate running game, questionable playcalling...lets be real here...they kinda did some things okay, some things kinda bad and nothing really, really well and yet managed to be opportunistic and occasionally spectacular enough to win the whole damn thing. Stunning! I would guess that Arians has a look he envisions for this offense beyond BBR running for his life and making ridiculous plays look like everyday occurances...hope anyway. Dixon is a sizable talent but I think they have issues, they are many and none of them involves developing some "Steelerized" version of the single wing or whatever kittycat offense miami surprised everyone with.

Question? Is Dennis Dixon good enough to be the backup Qb? Maybe.....
Quickest way to put your potential backup qb on IR? wildcat his ass

No occasional plays for dixon
No wildcat
Perhaps a consistent running game and better passing game hmmmmmmm? Then we'll discuss offensive packages named after animal life.:hatsoff:

BlockMonsta
08-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I need excitment in my life, lets do wildcat..With Mike Wallace.

Yes Dixon is good enough to be in the 2nd group, I know it was preseason but he did well. Both his passing and his running. Our running game would be good if BA didn't stick with FWP all game when he is being inefective...atleast we got Mendy back.

mmalone
08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
And yet, this team went on to become World Champions.

/THREAD

right... our awesome players carried arians to victory... i didnt see one thing that he did to give him much credit.. sorry.

mmalone
08-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Question? Is Dennis Dixon good enough to be the backup Qb? Maybe.....
Quickest way to put your potential backup qb on IR? wildcat his ass

No occasional plays for dixon
No wildcat
Perhaps a consistent running game and better passing game hmmmmmmm? Then we'll discuss offensive packages named after animal life.:hatsoff:

The younger guy dixon needs to step in at some point or get rid of him and draft someone new.

the wildcat is ok i guess.. ... but some, screens, bootlegs. reverses would be a good start for dixon. if our offense could get some solid leads this year on the schedule we have then in the 4th qtr we could have dixon run the end of the games a few times... that would be cool. the browns look like they are falling apart. dixon could have a few games there to finish.

MasterOfPuppets
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM

same could be said about politics,but that doesn't stop anyone here from "knowing" whats best... :noidea:

mmalone
08-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Yes wonderful, I know dixon was going for the Heisman, both that award and the season went good bye when Dixon went dont. He can play, and he should play. I was just quoteing what BA said regarding him. If FWP is not effective, why do we keep runnning him when Moore was doing better? And why a QB draw on third down following the flag in the super bowl? I dont understand his play calling, it's a joke at times. But he is the OC, and I am not so he's gonna do what he's gonna do.

this year will be different i think. we should have a lighter schedule and arians will be able to loosen up and not be so conservative.. just hoping....

punting should get us better field position also.

J Dogg
08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
same could be said about politics,but that doesn't stop anyone here from "knowing" whats best... :noidea:

Poor logic....really poor logic.

MasterOfPuppets
08-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Poor logic....really poor logic. how so ? is the inner workings of football that fans aren't privy too more complicated than the inner workings of politics that the masses aren't privy to ? are biased opinions from the media, and different flavors of kool aid served up by politicians enough to make the common man an "expert" in politics without actually knowing the true agenda? :doh:

PA/VA Guy
08-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Trick plays work best when:
--the running game is pounding it down the opponents throats
--the opponents defense is over pursuing
--the opponents defense is tired (3rd or 4th quarter)
--they are used sparingly

But with the Steelers defense, Pittsburgh does not need to get too fancy. The worst thing the offense can do is give the ball up and this happens all too often on trick plays.
:noidea:

pancake
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I say why not use the guy... We drafted him for a reason, not to just sit on the bench. I think a few plays a game, either wildcat or whatever set of plays that would take advantage of his skills, would just add to our offense.

X-Terminator
08-08-2009, 08:33 PM
right... our awesome players carried arians to victory... i didnt see one thing that he did to give him much credit.. sorry.

Yeah, and it still doesn't change the fact that the team still went on to become World Champions.

That really should be the bottom line - winning championships. Not to most Steelers fans, apparently, with the way they go on...and on...and ON...about how horrible Arians allegedly is.

MasterOfPuppets
08-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah, and it still doesn't change the fact that the team still went on to become World Champions.

That really should be the bottom line - winning championships. Not to most Steelers fans, apparently, with the way they go on...and on...and ON...about how horrible Arians allegedly is.
the way i see it, the guy should get another year before judgement is passed on him. people forget ben and willie have had thier best years in arians offense 2 years ago. the way i figure it, he's 1 -1 so far and the bad one could be attributed to a patch work oline, and dinged up players ... of course i do question some of his play calling , but its easy to do after the fact.. give the guy another year to prove himself.

Preacher
08-09-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't know,

I think a SB victory with a patchwork line, RB's that were injured most of the year, a QB that was injured early and not himself most of the year, and a star receiver that almost blew out his knee in teh AFCCG should get at least this year and next... I'd say he was 2-0.

Admittedly, last year was a contemptuous, ugly one.. but I still give it to him.

sax
08-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Dixon in as a wide receiver.
Ben fakes inside handoff to Mendenhall.
Dixon runs a reverse/takes handoff from Ben.
Continues to run reverse/stops/throwback to Ben.
Ben throws deep pass to Wallace (wide open) for touchdown!!!

The defense of the other team thinking......WTF?

Just by using Dixon a few plays.....other teams HAVE TO USE
VALUABLE PRACTICE TIME creating a defense plan to stop this.

Why not use ALL of the talent you have on offense?

Why not use some wide open offense plays as a change up?

I love steeler's football/ the running game/pound it down their throat!!!

A different look a few plays can throw off the other team's defense.

later,
sax
6 pack......stairway to 7

The Duke
08-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Dixon in as a wide receiver.
Ben fakes inside handoff to Mendenhall.
Dixon run a reverse/takes handoff from Ben.
Continues to run reverse/stops/throwback to Ben.
Ben throws deep pass to Wallace (wide open) for touchdown!!!

:applaudit:

congrats!! You're one heck of an O Coordinator!!

:coffee:

sax
08-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I did not come up with that play.
Randel L ran the same play, a few years ago.
Steelers used Randel L as a x-factor in games.

Why not do the same with Dixon?

later,
sax

mmalone
08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Sorry, I did not come up with that play.
Randel L ran the same play, a few years ago.
Steelers used Randel L as a x-factor in games.

Why not do the same with Dixon?

later,
sax

sax, it doesnt matter what you say.....

we won the SB.... #1 defense, thats all the insight and play calling you will get here.

you cant talk strategy or have fun with it. our #5 offense carried arians...
he took the #5 offense and makes it a #22 ranked offense. he killed tim couch in cleveland too.

arians said he was sick, and he re-wrote the play book. he used the Whisehunt book for a year in 2007. then re-wrote it... it said this in his cancer thread.

so we now have the arians 2008 and the new 2009 play book coming...

for bens sake i hope it has some counyter blitz plays in it, some anti bull rush plays, some trick plays and some good ole screen plays. For ben it should have some nice 4 wide receiver spread packages......

but it probably wont... it will have the lineman, te's and receivers all bunched in the center of the fiield and the receivers will be running 30 yard routes, as the bull rush comes in around them all. and of course.. the option ... run parker into the same incoming blitz...

fansince'76
08-09-2009, 11:49 AM
we won the SB.... #1 defense, thats all the insight and play calling you will get here....

Along with the constant and neverending calls for Arians' head and what he "should have called" - ALWAYS after the fact and using 20/20 hindsight. :coffee:

mmalone
08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Along with the constant and neverending calls for Arians' head and what he "should have called" - ALWAYS after the fact and using 20/20 hindsight. :coffee:

it has to be after the fact... we can only watch the play and then say something....

its always hindsight... how can you say something about a play before it happens...

i have yet to read a sports article about the MVP of the game before the game is played.

arians can stay and ill like him, if he gets a bit more creative, i really dont care then. i say ben runs the team and the offense makes arians look like a SB winner.

i dont see the genius in arians offense...

so hate me...

i will say.. the fisrt quarter of the super bowl, and i said before, it was like watching a different offense. arians was calling great plays, counters, screens. short passes to holmes, ward, they were ripping AZ a new one. we had a call play called game against the chargers also.

it looked great,... then by the 3rd quarter it changed back to the arians i dislike..

the AFCCG win had nothing to do with arians it was all Ben and the D.
Parker played the whole game.. Moore was in once i think. Davis had a play...
Parker was stuffed all day, one series he had a first down on two consecutive up the middle calls... after 20 trys we got um...

i am still waiting for the arians lovers to tell me what plays he has designed that make us his SB team.. i still say the players are the super bowl team and arians is learning like a rookie how to make them better.

LVSteelersfan
08-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I look at it like we are stuck with Arians. We have to live with him, good or bad. I just wish they would run more crossing routes underneath with Holmes and screens with Moore and Mendenhall (FWP SUCKS on screens) instead of sending them on 15-30 yard routes that never seem to work. The receivers need to be more aware and come back to the ball when Ben gets in trouble. And for God's sake, QUIT RUNNING FWP UP THE MIDDLE OVER AND OVER AND OVER. That is what makes me crazy about Arians. If he would just quit doing that, I would be happy.

mmalone
08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I look at it like we are stuck with Arians. We have to live with him, good or bad. I just wish they would run more crossing routes underneath with Holmes and screens with Moore and Mendenhall (FWP SUCKS on screens) instead of sending them on 15-30 yard routes that never seem to work. The receivers need to be more aware and come back to the ball when Ben gets in trouble. And for God's sake, QUIT RUNNING FWP UP THE MIDDLE OVER AND OVER AND OVER. That is what makes me crazy about Arians. If he would just quit doing that, I would be happy.

thats it in a nutshell.. if we had the bus i could see smashing the middle with bettis the first two quarters... then letting willie run like crazy after the defense is exhausted ....

the worst with parker up the middle for me is, when we get an interception and have the defense on their heels, he pulls out willie up the middle...

or if miller gets a 20+ gain, next play parker up the middle....

or a nice 15 yard penalty on first down, he does it again..

when you have the team reeling backwards.. i cant see the parker up the middle play, but he does it alot. that is probably my worst vision of the arians game...

sometimes i think he thinks he is faking the other side out, kinda like, they wont think im running parker up the middle now....:banging:

fansince'76
08-09-2009, 07:35 PM
it has to be after the fact... we can only watch the play and then say something....

its always hindsight... how can you say something about a play before it happens....

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. A LOT easier to play armchair OC after the fact when you already saw the defense the opposition ran, isn't it? Not so easy in real time when you don't have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Bleep
Blop
Bloop

Dixon is an athlete who CAN actually play QB....That's all I have to say about that.

Arians was not fired. That's all I have to say about THAT.