PDA

View Full Version : Reed, Keisel contract updates

mesaSteeler
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Reed, Keisel contract updates

While news has slowed down concerning contract talks between the Steelers and any of their players who are scheduled to become free agents at the end of the season, that's not exactly anything new.

When the team re-signed Casey Hampton a few years ago, it happened the night of the team's first preseason game. So there's still some time.

Word is, however, that there is some dispute between the coaching staff and the front office as to who should be top priority, defensive end Brett Keisel or placekicker Jeff Reed.

The coaching staff feels it should be Keisel, the front office, Reed.

There's not a lot of money left in the pot right now, so it will be interesting to see if something gets done.

The Steelers will have their franchise tag back at the end of this season after using it on offensive tackle Max Starks.

And if the team fails to get something done with both Keisel and Reed - among others - before we get too close to the regular season, don't be surprised if Reed is tagged.

The franchise tag value for kickers is a heck of a lot less than it is for defensive ends.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 2:26 PM 3 comments Links to this post

pancake
08-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I can see both sides...

The coaching staff may think we sign BK and we tagg Reed next year.

FO thinks we have Bretts replacement in Hood, so lets sign our top notch kicker...

Shoes
08-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd go with Reed

devilsdancefloor
08-08-2009, 08:50 PM
thats a tough pick i thiknk you should throw big snack in that mix for sure. i think he is gonna have a hell of a year

pancake
08-08-2009, 08:57 PM
thats a tough pick i thiknk you should throw big snack in that mix for sure. i think he is gonna have a hell of a year

I'm with you. I think he is too important to the D to let go next year.

Psyychoward86
08-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Wasnt Ryan Clark supposedly close to a deal by last Saturday?

tyler289
08-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Finding a kicker than knows Heinz Field and the weather conditions in Pittsburgh like Reed is a lot harder than finding a solid defensive end.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-08-2009, 10:12 PM
What about Ryan Clark? It's hard to find a suitable replacement to partner up with Troy. WIth Polamalu's playing style, he needs to be coupled with a well-disciplined, stay-at-home FS who can cover the deep stuff while Troy....does his thing.

BlastFurnace
08-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd just Franchise Reid and sign Keisel.

We can't lose Reid.

stillers4me
08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I'd just Franchise Reid and sign Keisel.

We can't lose Reid.

Reid sucked but I'd definitely franchise Reed. :flap:

HometownGal
08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I say tag that bad boy so he doesn't get away. Reed is VITAL to this team and no one kicks better in HF than Mr. Clutch. :tt03:

BlockMonsta
08-08-2009, 11:56 PM
What about Ryan Clark? It's hard to find a suitable replacement to partner up with Troy. WIth Polamalu's playing style, he needs to be coupled with a well-disciplined, stay-at-home FS who can cover the deep stuff while Troy....does his thing.

Earlier in the year I was hearing alot about Ryan Mundy and how well he was doing. Anyone know how he has been?

Preacher
08-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I say tag that bad boy so he doesn't get away. Reed is VITAL to this team and no one kicks better in HF than Mr. Clutch. :tt03:

The problem with tagging Reed, is the towel dispenser lobby. Just how happy will towel dispensers all over Pittsburgh be if we award Reed for beating them up?

:wink02:

Galax Steeler
08-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I would have to go with Reed but Clark should be high on that list as well. He is a big piece to the defense and plays well with Troy.