PDA

View Full Version : McDonald hoping to catch on with Steelers

Galax Steeler
08-09-2009, 06:39 AM
News and notes from the ninth day of training camp ...

Keep an eye on Shaun McDonald and not just because the seventh-year veteran is the only Steelers wide receiver aside from Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes with a track record in the NFL.

McDonald made a spectacular, one-handed grab of a Dennis Dixon pass Saturday afternoon, and he said he has only dropped one pass during training camp.

"They don't too often," McDonald said of dropped balls, "and I think that's what keeps me in this league, so, hopefully, I keep doing it."

McDonald, who signed with the Steelers in May, is just two years from a near 1,000-yard receiving season in Detroit. In addition to wide receiver, the seventh-year wide receiver will also get a look from the Steelers as a punt returner.

"This is really my first camp where I'm competing for a spot," said McDonald, who 5-foot-10 and 183 pounds. "Usually, I know my role, and I'm on the (roster) already so this is a different situation for me to come out here and try to win a spot on the bus."

Opposing quarterbacks should consider themselves warned. James Harrison, who set a Steelers single-season record with 16 sacks in 2008, said he has added weight and lowered his body fat percentage.

"I actually feel better now than I did the previous year," said Harrison, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008. "Last year I think I overtrained a little bit. I actually had to take a week or two off because my body wasn't acting right before it got to camp. I wasn't sleeping at night, couldn't eat right. This year I came in and just trained all the way through."

Read more about Harrison in the Sunday edition of the Tribune-Review.

Running back Willie Parker didn't practice Saturday because of back spasms. Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers held the two-time Pro Bowler out of drills as a precaution.

Also not practicing Saturday were outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (knee), running back Mewelde Moore (hamstring), wide receivers Martin Nance (hamstring) and Brandon Williams (abdomen) and defensive tackle Scott Paxson (calf).

The Steelers will do their first hitting, well at least the kind that is sanctioned by the coaches, Sunday during their afternoon practice. The much-anticipated goal-line drill will be held, and I can't wait to see how rookie running back Frank "The Tank" Summers performs in it.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/show_comments.

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 07:43 PM
McDonald embodies EXACTLY what a 3rd/Possession WR should be. He gets open, and he catches the ball.

All the focus is on Sweed, but I STILL think this guy quietly comes in, does everything asked, keeps his eye on the prize (and NOT the goal line!), and wins the job.

Psyychoward86
08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
You can never have too many good hands in this league. It's great that Shaun is doing that stuff in training camp, but he's gotta do it for real too :tt:

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
McDonald HAS done it for real.

2007:
79 catches for 943, 11.9 YPC and 6 TD's.

Those are REAL NFL numbers, and compare with any other Steelers receiver in recent memory.

Limas Sweed:
6 catches, 64 yards, and one fumble.

Justin Otstott
08-09-2009, 08:52 PM

2007:

Those are REAL NFL numbers, and compare with any other Steelers receiver in recent memory.

Limas Sweed:

Period!!!

stlrtruck
08-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Opposing quarterbacks should consider themselves warned. James Harrison, who set a Steelers single-season record with 16 sacks in 2008, said he has added weight and lowered his body fat percentage.

"I actually feel better now than I did the previous year," said Harrison, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008. "Last year I think I overtrained a little bit. I actually had to take a week or two off because my body wasn't acting right before it got to camp. I wasn't sleeping at night, couldn't eat right. This year I came in and just trained all the way through."

Read more about Harrison in the Sunday edition of the Tribune-Review.
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/show_comments.

When I read that, I here the quote from Rocky III (with Clubber Lang), Announcer - "What's your prediction for the fight"? Clubber - "My prediction, PAIN!"

HometownGal
08-10-2009, 08:15 AM

2007:

Limas Sweed:

I'm not giving up on Sweed, but I am really high on Shaun McDonald. He was the one FA wideout that I was hoping the Steelers would grab up. They guy is quite talented, has good speed and great hands. He may nail down that #3 spot with Sweed at #4 - I'm very excited about our receivers this season! :banana:

mmalone
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
You can never have too many good hands in this league. It's great that Shaun is doing that stuff in training camp, but he's gotta do it for real too :tt:

my friend is in detroit and an avid lions fan, he says mcdonald is like hines ward. if you throw it to his general area he catches it.. if hes enclosed in three defenders, he comes up with it. he is very acrobatic in his play.. he has the tools to be there. he will be on the team..