PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans hail Woodson as he is inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame

mesaSteeler
08-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Steelers fans hail Woodson as he is inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame
A part of four teams over a 17-year career and a cornerback on the NFL's 75th anniversary team, he becomes the first post-1970s Steeler to enter the Hall.
Sunday, August 09, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Lake Fong/Post-Gazette

CANTON, Ohio -- It was an annual rite of August, this march to history, this journey to destiny. One by one, they made their way to the front steps of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, each taking their turn at enshrinement as part of a franchise -- a Super era, if you will -- that was unlike any in National Football League history.

The 1970s produced more than four Super Bowl titles in six years for the Steelers. They produced nine players and a coach who would be inducted into the Hall of Fame, nearly all just five years after retirement -- the minimum waiting period for enshrinement.

Last night, on a stage a couple of hundred yards from where 10 members of the Super Steelers were inducted, Rod Woodson took his turn and was given enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the first player from the post-Steel Curtain era to be inducted.

"It's more than putting on a jacket and seeing your bust here," Woodson said. "It's being part of an elite team of pro football. I'm honored to be in the '09 class with good men."

Woodson, an 11-time Pro Bowl cornerback who played 10 seasons with the Steelers (1987-96), played seven more seasons with three other teams -- the Baltimore Ravens, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers -- and finished with the third-most interceptions in NFL history (71).

And even though he is the first Ravens player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, Woodson will always be remembered as a member of the Steelers, even though he never won a Super Bowl with them.

"I want to say thank you to the Rooney family -- a great, great family," Woodson said. "The Steelers are arguably one of the best, if not the best, sporting franchises because of their family. I want to thank you for 10 wonderful years."

And then, looking toward the audience littered with Terrible Towels and No. 26 jerseys, Woodson said, "And the Steeler Nation for accepting me and cheering me on -- and, after I left, for booing me. If you cheered me when I put on a Ravens uniform, I think I would have lost a lot of respect for the Steeler Nation. I'm glad you booed me, because you should." :tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

Woodson's induction, unlike that of the other Steelers', took place on a giant makeshift stage inside Fawcett Stadium, just a Terry Bradshaw pass from the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And, though raucous crowds gathered, stood and chanted in black-and-gold jerseys for the induction of their past Super Bowl heroes, Woodson's enshrinement had less of a Pittsburgh flavor.

In fact, the crowd inside the stadium was mostly red, white and blue -- the colors of the Buffalo Bills, who had two members of their franchise, owner Ralph Wilson and defensive end Bruce Smith, being inducted.

"Rod is more than a Hall of Fame football player; he's a Hall of Fame person," said Tracy Foster, Woodson's longtime friend from Fort Wayne, Ind., who presented him for enshrinement.

In a tribute to a career that spanned 17 seasons, each of Woodson's five children wore a different jersey of the four teams for which he played. In a lengthy speech he thanked each of the three teams that employed him after his departure from Pittsburgh after the 1996 season; nonetheless, Woodson saved most of his tribute for the Steelers coaches who started him on the road to stardom, beginning with Chuck Noll. He also included assistants Tony Dungy and his first defensive coordinator, Rod Rust, whom he called a "defensive genius, a guy who went above what he should have done."

Then, after citing Bill Cowher and former defensive coordinator Dom Capers, he began an unofficial campaign to get his former secondary coach, Dick LeBeau, into the Hall of Fame.

"I hope the voters, seriously, get it right," Woodson said. "He deserves to be in as a player, and if you don't put him as a player, you put him in as a contributor. He deserves it. The voters will get tired of hearing me saying it -- Dick LeBeau deserves to be in the Hall of Fame."

Woodson had 38 of his 71 interceptions and five of his NFL-record 12 interception returns for touchdowns with the Steelers, who made him their No. 1 pick in 1987. In '94, his eighth season with the Steelers, he was named as a cornerback on the NFL's 75th Anniversary team, one of only five active players to be so honored.

He joins nine other players who were drafted by Noll in the Hall of Fame -- Bradshaw (1989), Joe Greene (1987), Jack Ham (1988), Mel Blount (1989), Franco Harris (1990), Jack Lambert (1990), Mike Webster (1997), Lynn Swann (2001) and John Stallworth (2002). Noll was inducted in '93, a year after he retired.

Greene and Blount were the only past Steelers inductees to attend last night's ceremony and sit on the stage behind Woodson. Steelers president Art Rooney II also was in attendance.

"I knew just from watching him over the years, and from watching great athletes, this guy was a great player," Blount said. "I knew what kind of skills you have to have and this guy had them all -- plus. We're excited to see him go in and see him go in in style."

One of Woodson's greatest achievements with the Steelers won't even show up in the record book. In the '95 season, after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in the season opener against the Detroit Lions, he came back to play in Super Bowl XXX against the Dallas Cowboys -- a remarkable feat considering the severity of the injury. He is believed to be the only player to return from a torn ACL in the same season, even though his participation in the Super Bowl was limited to specialty packages.

"It never would have happened if Bill didn't leave a spot open for me," Woodson said. "There's no coach today [who would do that]. But Bill saw something. What he saw, I don't know, but he gave me a great opportunity to play in the Super Bowl."

Woodson left the Steelers after the '96 season, his seventh Pro Bowl season, because Cowher and director of football operations Tom Donahoe believed injuries had robbed him of his effectiveness.

But Woodson went on to play seven more seasons -- one with the 49ers, four with the Ravens, two more with the Raiders. He won a Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2000, when he played safety, and made it to the Super Bowl with the Raiders in '02, a year in which he led the NFL, at age 37, with eight interceptions.

Woodson retired a year later. Last night, his journey, which began with the Steelers, was completed.

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.
First published on August 9, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09221/989748-66.stm#ixzz0NiheNWMl

(That Woodson went in as a Steeler must really honk off the RatTurd Village of Baltimore. - mesa)

Edman
08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
God, I wish we kept him. So he wouldn't have to put on those ugly purple colors.

Psyychoward86
08-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Just saw his speech and induction on DVR. Good to see some Raven fans in the crowd too were cheering him on as well. I liked how his family wore a jersey from each of the teams he went to in his career. His induction is well deserved! Hopefully the tidbit he said about Dick Lebeau will help get him in as well :tt:

revefsreleets
08-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I was not able to go due to a family emergency, but I'm glad Woodson showed great poise and class at his induction. He's the first of MANY "new" Steelers headed to the Hall...

RoethlisBURGHer
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I was there! Woodson is such a class act, even if he was a Ratbird.

Steelboy84
08-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Well deserved Rod. Well deserved.

Ravnet
08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
God, I wish we kept him. So he wouldn't have to put on those ugly purple colors.

Rod needed a ring, and he knew Pittsburgh wasn't the place.

tony hipchest
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Rod needed a ring, and he knew Pittsburgh wasn't the place.absolute rubbish. he did nothing but win and go to the playoffs in pittsburgh, and admitted in his speech that baltimore was about the last place hed expect to go and win a ring.

ray ray all you want, but they werent anything before rod and have been nothing ever since...

(he quickly got the raiders over the hump and back into a superbowl).

a true champion even though he only got the one ring. he will go down as the greatest player to ever wear the purple crow outfit.

fansince'76
08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
absolute rubbish.

Which is about all that guy ever spouts here. Consider the source. :coffee:

KeiselPower99
08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
How come no one mentions his time in San Fransico?

devilsdancefloor
08-09-2009, 11:30 PM

um nope :toofunny::toofunny: i think it was more of a rift between some of the management then anything. I think he went to the ratbird because he was familiar with marvin.

tony hipchest
08-09-2009, 11:42 PM
How come no one mentions his time in San Fransico?
like k. greene (and d. sanders to some extent) they werent "real" 49ers.

they were hired guns at the end of the non salary cap era. they represent more of the crushing fall of a dynasty and being thrust into salary cap hell (that the team still hasnt recovered from). the decent years they had with the team is lost in the shuffle of their other accomplishments.

Edman
08-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Yeah, especially when Pittsburgh was contenders throughout the 90's compared to the Ravens who prior to his arrival, was an irrelevant expansion franchise finding it's legs.

Pittsburgh was NOT the place to win it, but Baltimore somehow is. I like your logic, NOT.

wootawnee
08-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Can't we kick that stupid ratbird fan out........This is a Steelers forum......Go to fox if you wanna post and talk smack.......

Preacher
08-10-2009, 01:37 AM

If Ray-Ray wants another ring... Baltimore sure isn't the place now. Sad thing is, we wouldn't touch the murderer.

Kind of a shame that you needed a cast-off Steeler to help you guys win isn't it?

Ravnet
08-10-2009, 03:45 AM
absolute rubbish. he did nothing but win and go to the playoffs in pittsburgh, and admitted in his speech that baltimore was about the last place hed expect to go and win a ring.

ray ray all you want, but they werent anything before rod and have been nothing ever since...

(he quickly got the raiders over the hump and back into a superbowl).

a true champion even though he only got the one ring. he will go down as the greatest player to ever wear the purple crow outfit.

I was obviously just kidding; Baltimore wasn't shit in the 90s. Unfortunately, and embarrassingly, you were being serious.

Rod Woodson isn't even the greatest Ravens safety of this decade.

Aussie_steeler
08-10-2009, 05:04 AM
I had a chance to watch a recording of the ceremony and one thing stood out more than anything during Rod's speech. He appears to be a first class human being that always has and always will put his family first.

He conducted himself with great dignity and poise throughout his whole speech, as did all inductees.

I felt inspired by the content and context of his speech,.The gratitude and sincerity shown to those who inspired him to achieve his personal best both on and off the field was a masterclass in how to be humble and thankful.

The most intriguing aspect of the whole speech was how he choked up when talking about his childhood experiences as a bi-racial mutt (his words) and the challenges for all bi-racial children even today. I have not read in depth about Rod Woodson and know little about this topic but this issue seemed to be a deep scar that still weighs heavily on him.

I will be keeping a copy of this ceremony and speech for future referall as I believe Rod's words carry a message much deeper than the riches that football has to offer, but the riches that life and family carry for all who are prepared to invest unconditionally. Rod reminded me of what an honour and privilige it is to be a father and husband, and how we should never take loved ones for granted.

Rod Woodson is the reason why I became a steeler fan and that speech reinforced that to me. The Rooneys truly did find a special player and first class human being when they drafted Rod.

If any man in a steeler uniform ever displace Rod Woodson as my alltime favourite steeler then he will certainly have a guaranteed pass into the Hall of Fame for champion human beings and probably a place at Canton as well. It will take someone special to achieve that ( if ever in my view, but my view is pretty biased)

Congratulations Rod Woodson.

silver & black
08-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Rod is a class act. He deserved the honor of being a first ballot inductee.

I loved when he played for the Raiders... I wish he could have gotten his second ring with us. Rod Woodson is the reason Nnamdi is the best pure CB in the league. He still works with him today.

The_WARDen
08-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I was obviously just kidding; Baltimore wasn't shit in the 90s. Unfortunately, and embarrassingly, you were being serious.

Rod Woodson isn't even the greatest Ravens safety of this decade.

that's okay...since safety was his 2nd position.

:popcorn:

revefsreleets
08-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Woodson >>> Ed Reed.

Sorry, but it's true. Reed is a safety, Woodson is a CB who ALSO played Safety who ALSO retutrned kicks and punts (and Woodson's #'s while playing safety are comparable to Reed's, so Woodson was as good at the end of his career out-of-position as Reed in his prime IN position). Ed Reed is a great player, probably HOF caliber, but Woodson is all-World. Reed should lick the dirt of the soles of Woodson's shoes...he's all around better, a better player, a better teammate and a better human being.

SHAME on you filthy Rat fans trying to dirty up Woodson's achievement...you're as tacky as your second rate town...

wootawnee
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I had a chance to watch a recording of the ceremony and one thing stood out more than anything during Rod's speech. He appears to be a first class human being that always has and always will put his family first.

He conducted himself with great dignity and poise throughout his whole speech, as did all inductees.

I felt inspired by the content and context of his speech,.The gratitude and sincerity shown to those who inspired him to achieve his personal best both on and off the field was a masterclass in how to be humble and thankful.

The most intriguing aspect of the whole speech was how he choked up when talking about his childhood experiences as a bi-racial mutt (his words) and the challenges for all bi-racial children even today. I have not read in depth about Rod Woodson and know little about this topic but this issue seemed to be a deep scar that still weighs heavily on him.

I will be keeping a copy of this ceremony and speech for future referall as I believe Rod's words carry a message much deeper than the riches that football has to offer, but the riches that life and family carry for all who are prepared to invest unconditionally. Rod reminded me of what an honour and privilige it is to be a father and husband, and how we should never take loved ones for granted.

Rod Woodson is the reason why I became a steeler fan and that speech reinforced that to me. The Rooneys truly did find a special player and first class human being when they drafted Rod.

If any man in a steeler uniform ever displace Rod Woodson as my alltime favourite steeler then he will certainly have a guaranteed pass into the Hall of Fame for champion human beings and probably a place at Canton as well. It will take someone special to achieve that ( if ever in my view, but my view is pretty biased)

Congratulations Rod Woodson.

This is why some guys never get in......They all are first class stand up guys.......

HometownGal
08-10-2009, 02:57 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ROD!!!! :applaudit::hatsoff::drink:

Though I wasn't happy about some of the comments he made when he left the Steelers back in the day, I respected and admired him tremendously not only for his play on the field, but for his leadership and comradery. :tt03:

Stover4Prez
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Congrats to Rod! He was a great Steeler and a great Raven (and I suppose a Raider, although who cares about them....) :)

And obviously Rod didn't come to Baltimore for a ring! He got one of course, but there is no way he looked at Pittsburgh and Baltimore at the time and decided the Ravens had a better shot! He was a beast though and an unbelievable asset to have on the team. (I will not go so far as to say the best Raven. That is just not true).

Congrats to a class act and a true warrior on the field!

revefsreleets
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Which Raven is better? I can't think of one...and if you say Ray Lewis, it simply denotes ignorance of the game.

Woodson is the greatest Baltimore Raven ever. Easily...by a WIDE margin.

Ravnet
08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Which Raven is better? I can't think of one...and if you say Ray Lewis, it simply denotes ignorance of the game.

Emmitt Smith was the greatest Arizona Cardinal ever.

Stover4Prez
08-10-2009, 07:35 PM

You can say what you like, but there is no doubt that Ray Lewis has been 10 times more to the Ravens franchise than Rod Woodson ever was. Rod was a good player, don't get me wrong, but to say he has done more for the Ravens and is a better player than Ray is ignorant in itself. I get it, you hate him. Mc Stabbit. Murderer Ray, blah blah blah. But if you can honestly say that given the choice of having only one, you would pick Rod Woodson over Ray Lewis for the Ravens, then there is no reason to continue this banter because you have no idea what each has given the franchise. (which is fine since you are not a Ravens fan).

Ray Lewis has been the heart and soul of this team since he showed up and has held it together during good and bad years. I would give up ANY Raven in the past 10 years to have him.

But that is not what this thread is about. Congrats again to Rod. An excellent Steeler who we benefited from having in Baltimore as well.

Steel Head
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
regarding the Woodson and Reed discussion: I find it funny that at cornerback Woodson was the far superior tackler than Reed is or will ever be at safety LOL

Ravnet
08-10-2009, 10:54 PM
You can say what you like, but there is no doubt that Ray Lewis has been 10 times more to the Ravens franchise than Rod Woodson ever was.

10 times? You've got to be kidding. . .

Ray Lewis has been at least five hundred trillion times more to the Ravens franchise than Rod Woodson ever was. At least.

tony hipchest
08-10-2009, 11:01 PM
:jerkit:

7SteelGal43
08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Last night, on a stage a couple of hundred yards from where 10 members of the Super Steelers were inducted, Rod Woodson took his turn and was given enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the first player from the post-Steel Curtain era to be inducted.

(That Woodson went in as a Steeler must really honk off the RatTurd Village of Baltimore. - mesa) NICE :laughing:

Wow, I hadn't really thought of him being the first since the Steel Curtain days. WOW. Awesome.

Okay, of the current Steelers, who do you think is DEFINATLEY HOF bound ?

1. Big Ben
2. Troy
3. Hines

Who else ?

7SteelGal43
08-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Is this a rats nest ? What's with all the purple clad homers ? :rofl: j/k

stlrtruck
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Is this a rats nest ? What's with all the purple clad homers ? :rofl: j/k

Even they can recognize greatness when they get to encounter, even if for a brief moment! :rofl:

stlrtruck
08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
You can say what you like, but there is no doubt that Ray Lewis has been 10 times more to the Ravens franchise than Rod Woodson ever was. Rod was a good player, don't get me wrong, but to say he has done more for the Ravens and is a better player than Ray is ignorant in itself. I get it, you hate him. Mc Stabbit. Murderer Ray, blah blah blah. But if you can honestly say that given the choice of having only one, you would pick Rod Woodson over Ray Lewis for the Ravens, then there is no reason to continue this banter because you have no idea what each has given the franchise. (which is fine since you are not a Ravens fan).

Ray Lewis has been the heart and soul of this team since he showed up and has held it together during good and bad years. I would give up ANY Raven in the past 10 years to have him.

But that is not what this thread is about. Congrats again to Rod. An excellent Steeler who we benefited from having in Baltimore as well.

I think the difference between the two is how they approach the game. IMO, Lewis does not respect the game the way Woodson did. And while he's emotional, I don't think he's the right leader for that team.

If you want my opinion, which you probaby don't but I'm going to give it to you, I believe that Ed Reed has a greater impact on the organization and the game than Ray Lewis (and you're right part of that might be because I really don't like Ray). Don't much care for Ed Reed either, but that's because he's in a ravens uniform.

Steel Head
08-11-2009, 09:16 AM

1. Big Ben
2. Troy
3. Hines

Who else ?

at this moment none of those 3 is DEFINATLEY HOF bound

43Hitman
08-11-2009, 09:24 AM

1. Big Ben
2. Troy
3. Hines

Who else ?

I think Hines is. He has broken all of the Steelers WR records, won 2 Superbowls, and a Superbowl MVP award. Pretty much a lock in my opinion.

Steel Head
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I think Hines is. He has broken all of the Steelers WR records, won 2 Superbowls, and a Superbowl MVP award. Pretty much a lock in my opinion.

your opinion is flawed

he is def. not a "lock"

43Hitman
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
your opinion is flawed

he is def. not a "lock"

And I would say the same for yours. :coffee:

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Emmitt Smith IS the greatest Cardinal ever. THAT is precisely my point. Franco Harris is the greatest Seahawk ever (although Steve Largent was really, really good).

I don't give a ratbirds ass what he meant to them at the time (although him QBIng the 2000 defense was instrumental in their one and [probably] only Super Bowl win, and almost certainly doesn't happen without him), Rod Woodson is simply one of the greatest of the greats. He made the NFL's all 75th year team. He's one of only 20 DB's in the Hall, and one of only 11 to play CB for the majority of his career. He is one of the greatest players to ever play the game of football, the rarest of the rare first ballot HOFer, and he is (and probably will remain) the greatest player to ever wear a Ravens uniform. Period.

Read and learn more:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4382642

BlastFurnace
08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

He's not a lock. Art Monk had to wait years before getting in and he had 3 SB rings as well with better numbers. Other than the downfield blocking, they are very similar receivers.

It may take some time, but Hines will get in. IMO, Troy is the only lock on the roster. Ben is close.

vasteeler
08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
What about Potsie you guys think he gets in:noidea:

BlastFurnace
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM

I love Potsie as a player, but I doubt that he gets into the HOF.

43Hitman
08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
He's not a lock. Art Monk had to wait years before getting in and he had 3 SB rings as well with better numbers. Other than the downfield blocking, they are very similar receivers.

It may take some time, but Hines will get in. IMO, Troy is the only lock on the roster. Ben is close.

I think people are confusing "lock" with "first ballot hof'er" . They both mean two completely different things. So if you think Hines will get in, then he is a lock in your opinion. It just make take some time. Everyone knew Art Monk was a lock also, and knew it was just a matter of time.

Steel Head
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM

absolutely not

Stover4Prez
08-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I think the difference between the two is how they approach the game. IMO, Lewis does not respect the game the way Woodson did. And while he's emotional, I don't think he's the right leader for that team.

If you want my opinion, which you probaby don't but I'm going to give it to you, I believe that Ed Reed has a greater impact on the organization and the game than Ray Lewis (and you're right part of that might be because I really don't like Ray). Don't much care for Ed Reed either, but that's because he's in a ravens uniform.

I can agree with your assessment of their approach to the game. However the behind the scenes and mentoring that Ray does and the development he has helped along with the young players on the D is an intangible that I feel has made the Ravens the Ravens. I fully understand you don't like him, but I still stand by my assessment that he has done more for the Ravens franchise than Rod did.

Stover4Prez
08-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Emmitt Smith IS the greatest Cardinal ever. THAT is precisely my point. Franco Harris is the greatest Seahawk ever (although Steve Largent was really, really good).

I don't give a ratbirds ass what he meant to them at the time (although him QBIng the 2000 defense was instrumental in their one and [probably] only Super Bowl win, and almost certainly doesn't happen without him), Rod Woodson is simply one of the greatest of the greats. He made the NFL's all 75th year team. He's one of only 20 DB's in the Hall, and one of only 11 to play CB for the majority of his career. He is one of the greatest players to ever play the game of football, the rarest of the rare first ballot HOFer, and he is (and probably will remain) the greatest player to ever wear a Ravens uniform. Period.

Read and learn more:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4382642

I understand your point and you are probably right that presently he is the player that had the best career and also played as a Raven. However I do not think he is the best Ravens player, based on what he did for the team and the franchise. Steve McNair was a great QB in Tennessee, but he was far from "Air McNair" when he wore the black and purple. Best player that played for the Ravens. Yes. Best RAVENS player. No.

7SteelGal43
08-11-2009, 11:52 PM

:jawdrop:

ok, ok, I'll quit feigning shock and admit that I just really really want it to be so for those 3 :thmbup: I got a gut feeling though that we'll be seein 'em in Canton. Especially if we get a couple more rings, maybe even just one more.

Ravnet
08-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Franco Harris is the greatest Seahawk ever]

:banging:

Preacher
08-12-2009, 05:16 AM
Wow, I hadn't really thought of him being the first since the Steel Curtain days. WOW. Awesome.

1. Big Ben
2. Troy
3. Hines

Who else ?

Ben ain't HOF bound... least not yet. He DID, however, set the course with the second SB victory, and the way he did it. However, IMO, he needs a few more seasons of productivtity in the reg. season before he is HOF bound.

Troy comes closest IMO. He tilts the entire field when he is on it. He makes offenses completely change their game.

HInes isn't a lock. For him to be a "Lock" I think he needs one more great year and another deep run into the playoffs where HE takes the team on his shoulders (that is for him being a LOCK). Otherwise, he probably makes it, but it probably won't be first ballot. Maybe not until about the middle of eligibility.

Watch out for James Harrison. If that motor keeps up for another 5 years, he definitely has a shot. But for him, it was how old he was when he finally came of age that will hurt him, because he won't have the full body of work that some others will have.

Santo... with Ben throwing to him.. That combination has the possibltily of turning into "Bradshaw to Swann" "Montana to Rice" "Belicheat to videotapes" type of combination. If so, Santo will have a LOT of big game big plays, and will get in.

Preacher
08-12-2009, 05:24 AM

:chuckle:

No. Both of those players were/are old and broken down on those teams.

Fitz is a much better Cardinal than Smith, possibly the best player in a Cardinal uniform ever, depending on how his career goes.

Franco was pretty much a joke in a Seattle uniform. Curt Warner was a much better RB, and Shaun Alexander was a WAY better RB in a Seahawk uniform.

The thing about your argument, is that Rod Woodson wasn't broken down when he went to Baltimore. While there, he was the best player on that team, even while Ray Lewis was there.

However, Lewis's longevity makes him worth more to the team as a face of the team... much like Ward or Bettis.

MDSteel15
08-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Emmitt Smith was the greatest Arizona Cardinal ever.

You're just being stupid... I understand, but the best ARIZONA Cardinal is Fitzgerald. The best Cardinal EVER is probably Terry Metcalf....:wave:

MDSteel15
08-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Linebackers are a dime a dozen in the NFL. I would take a younger Vinnie T at QB if I would have been a Ratbirb fan! :laughing:

stlrtruck
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
I can agree with your assessment of their approach to the game. However the behind the scenes and mentoring that Ray does and the development he has helped along with the young players on the D is an intangible that I feel has made the Ravens the Ravens. I fully understand you don't like him, but I still stand by my assessment that he has done more for the Ravens franchise than Rod did.

Given that Lewis has been a mainstay where Woodson was there only a few years, I see your point. That's why I made the comparison to Ed Reed as better for the team than Ray. It seems to me that over the last 5 years, Ray has ran his mouth more than he has performed on the field where as Ed has been the leader on the field, when it mattered most!

revefsreleets
08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Emmitt Smith is the greatest PLAYER ever to wear a Cardinal uniform. He's >>> Metcalf (and too early to tell about Fitz). Same with Franco. I don't care about where they were in their careers, I'm simply stating that the player is judged by his entire career and not the contributions he made to the team while he was there. And, no, I was not "being stupid".

Woodson is the greatest Raven ever. He's also one of the greatest Steelers ever, one of the greatest 49ers ever, and one of the greatest Raiders ever. All those teams have a long rich history of producing great players but one...in Woodson's case, he was a major contributor to the greatest moment in Ravens history, and I think an argument could be made that in 2000 he contributed more to that defense than any other player, which pretty much means that he could have ALL these bases covered.