PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Zoo vs. Phoenix Zoo

tony hipchest
08-10-2009, 12:16 AM
went to the zoo in phoenix yesterday. i love zoos (and appreciate the fact that they can be kinda cruel- although thats neither here nor there and isnt the point of this thread).

i havent been to too many big town zoos and these 2 are the biggest i have visited. we initially went on friday. much to our wallyworld dismay, it closes at 2pm on weekdays, as it is too freaking hot for just about any animal at that time during summer (even though it was a cool 104 degrees as opposed to the 115 they had been experiencing earlier in the week).

phoenix covers more ground, but its kinda obvious the animals are kinda miserable (i noticed this with the animals in pgh on a humid summer day).

no question the pgh zoo elephant exhibit is tops in the country. their lions, tigers, are awsome (phoenix cant top it- although they got cool giraffes, baboons, monkey walk thru, and what will be a killer komodo dragon display).

pittsburghers should be proud as it blows this huge metropolis' away. polar bears, penguins (both would die in phoeniz) seals, the indoor aquatics, are head and heels above what AZ has to offer.

no gorillas or walruses? advantage pgh.

i woulda went to a museum but i know it has nothing on the carnegie.

vasteeler
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
havnt been to either one of those i have been to the san diego zoo as well as the national zoo. san diego was much nicer

Indo
08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I Love the Pgh Zoo...but Audubon Zoo in New Orleans is pretty nice, too

tony hipchest
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I Love the Pgh Zoo...but Audubon Zoo in New Orleans is pretty nice, toopittsburghs bull elephant is the most prolific elephantine sperm donor in captivity. in 2000 i got some awesome video footage of him rocking a trunk sized hard-on inside his barn.

all up close and personal. :thumbsup:

got to watch a little monkey beat off too. :jerkit: now thats the type of entertainment zoo's should provide. :chuckle:

there giant aquatic tanks are kick ass. when i went a few years ago, all the aquatic shark tanks, polar bear exhibit and seal tubes were new to me. amazing (penguin exhibit was always my favorite).

havent heard much about the new walrus exhibit or if it is even open yet. :noidea:

we still have the old 8mm soundless movie reels of me on the train ride as a toddler. i remember the escalators seeming like they were a mile long. funny how much it has changed, yet still remained the same.

its like going to kennywood and riding the steel phantom II and then going to noahs ark.

MACH1
08-11-2009, 10:57 PM
What, no donkey pictures? :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-11-2009, 11:17 PM
sorry. no donkey show pics. going to juarez (or "wazoo" as us gringos up north like to call it) is far to dangerous these days. i would rather not be a white corn tortilla chip dipped in hot bloody red salsa. :noidea:

SteelersinCA
08-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I hate zoos but San Diego's is awesome, plus they have the wild animal park.

tony hipchest
08-12-2009, 01:08 AM
sorry. no donkey show pics. going to juarez (or "wazoo" as us gringos up north like to call it) is far to dangerous these days. i would rather not be a white corn tortilla chip dipped in hot bloody red salsa. :noidea:

oops... i forgot to clear this term with our latest resident lingo doc and see if this is a word i am permitted to use.

it may mean something completely different up in the northeast. :noidea: i would hate to get "benched" again. :doh:

:toofunny:

Galax Steeler
08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I have been to the Pittsburgh zoo a couple of time and I really enjoy it.

Muppet13
08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
The Cincinnati zoo is the best!

SteelMember
08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
The Cincinnati zoo is the best!

There's a penitentiary joke in there somewhere. :chuckle:

Here in Atl., the zoo seems pretty small.

The biggest draw now is the panda's, which are basically rented from China for about 1 million a year each. I think even the live birth's they have had are even subject to the "rental agreement" and I believe they are all up for renewal this year. I just remember even the webcam was pretty popular at one time.

Before the panda's, the silverback gorilla's were very popular, and the advertised face of the zoo, but once those cute little pandas were there...they had to get those gorilla's moving like a badgering mother looking for grandkids. :laughing:

Venom
08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
The only zoo Ive been to is the Bronx zoo. But if you ask anyone, they will say all of New York is a zoo, lol. 31.jpg