PDA

View Full Version : Browns lose WR for the year - Mangenius to blame?

Fire Haley
08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Agent points to Mangini for WR's injuryComment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Cleveland Browns reserve receiver Syndric Steptoe will miss the season with a torn labrum in his shoulder, and his agent says coach Eric Mangini's decision-making is to blame, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

Steptoe

The third-year veteran sustained the injury during Saturday's practice.

Agent Jerome Stanley said a last-minute change of plans from walk-through drills, which the players had expected, to a full-speed practice in heavy rain was the root of the injury.

"The coaches should more carefully weigh the risk of injury in practice decisions,'' Stanley said, according to the Plain Dealer. "My understanding is that the team was on the field for a walk-through the day before the scrimmage. The walk-through turned into a full practice in a driving rain."

--------------------------------

There's something you don't hear every day.

Sue his ass!

X-Terminator
08-10-2009, 12:52 AM
The team is cursed. What else can you say?

tony hipchest
08-10-2009, 01:00 AM
sounds like a case of another brown player being a weak assed puss.

that doesnt excuse mangina from being a piss poor manager though.

players and coaches are doomed to fail, despite any parcells tree or belicheat connection.

:laughing: what is great is the browns are too proud to tap into the steelers tree for any type of help (steelers waterboy could step in as GM and immediately improve that sorry franchise).

good luck with the fools gold brownies. :thumbsup:

Preacher
08-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Funny thing... 'em Browns are holding on to those 8 wins from 50 plus years ago when they played what, 5 other teams, and later, never played what would become the other conference... thinking that they somehow equal SB wins.

I guess when they are as cursed as they are now... all they have to hold on to is a hope of what once was, and a hatred of what their rival has been and is for the last 40 years.

:rofl:

KeiselPower99
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Another one bites the dust.

revefsreleets
08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, to be fair, football IS played in all kinds of weather, and the weather IS changeable (especially in NE Ohio). Practicing in the rain happens...Steptoe is a crybaby and he needs to man up. My gues is that this is largely about the fact that he was plummeting down the depth chart...

This actually doesn't hurt them as bad as you'd think. Word is Cribbs has really stepped up his game as a WR, and both Robiskie and Massaquoi really showing up as well. They actually may be okay at WR this year...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, to be fair, football IS played in all kinds of weather, and the weather IS changeable (especially in NE Ohio). Practicing in the rain happens...Steptoe is a crybaby and he needs to man up. My gues is that this is largely about the fact that he was plummeting down the depth chart...

This actually doesn't hurt them as bad as you'd think. Word is Cribbs has really stepped up his game as a WR, and both Robiskie and Massaquoi really showing up as well. They actually may be okay at WR this year...

Steptoe is not very good at receiver. Lets just say, I had a feeling we were in trouble depth wise when he was starting and/or getting reps. at receiver this last year.

Also, I like the way that Mangini has been running camp, I just really hope it pays off./

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Funny thing... 'em Browns are holding on to those 8 wins from 50 plus years ago when they played what, 5 other teams, and later, never played what would become the other conference... thinking that they somehow equal SB wins.

I guess when they are as cursed as they are now... all they have to hold on to is a hope of what once was, and a hatred of what their rival has been and is for the last 40 years.

:rofl:

Soooo what was the Steelers excuse for not having a playoff win for the first 42 years of existence if the competition and conference was so weak?

One thing you guys will never be able to shake is that it took an ex-brown from that era to shape the way your franchise is run.

As much as you guys think the Browns are a joke, there contributions to Pro Football are innumerable.

revefsreleets
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd much rather suck when there are only 10-12 teams and be great when there are 32 than the reverse.

Essentially, for ALL the Browns greatest years, they had to "win their division" and they played for the title...sort of like when the ACC REALLY sucked ass and all FSU had to do was beat Florida and they'd make it into the National Championship...

Dino 6 Rings
08-10-2009, 12:23 PM
So how long til this guy gets a Staff infection...whats the over under? 3 weeks?

Fire Haley
08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
This is what really stings

Teams never in the Super Bowl:

Detroit Lions
Cleveland Browns
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars
New Orleans Saints

Preacher
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Soooo what was the Steelers excuse for not having a playoff win for the first 42 years of existence if the competition and conference was so weak?

Simple. We had an owner that hired coaches for enjoyable trips to the racetrack...not for football. Until his son took over, Pittsburgh football was about being mean, not as much about winning. In other words, WE SUCKED!

One thing you guys will never be able to shake is that it took an ex-brown from that era to shape the way your franchise is run. So what you are saying is, coaches from the Browns run away so that they can actually win with other teams... Noll, Cowher, Belicheat.. Right? :wink02:

As much as you guys think the Browns are a joke, there contributions to Pro Football are innumerable. They are part of a history of the league. They did as much for old NFL as the Steelers did in the 70s to bring legitimacy to the AFL (C at that point).

They are both great, storied franchises. I just dont see the legitimacy in comparing most of those early wins to the SB era. It isnt even the same championship.... as the NFL championship back then is now the NFC championship and the AFL championship is now the AFC championship, both determined by a playoff. THus, the Steelers have 7 of those championships and about 12 appearances in it.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-11-2009, 03:12 AM

One thing you guys will never be able to shake is that it took an ex-brown from that era to shape the way your franchise is run.

As much as you guys think the Browns are a joke, there contributions to Pro Football are innumerable.

The Steelers sucked for much of that time. Hell, I think we made the playoffs only once. But when a team walked away with a win, they didn't feel like they had won. They were beaten up, bloody, and bruised.

Chuck Noll is something that no Steelers fan wants to shake off. He was a great head coach. He won four Super Bowls. He drafted a ton of Hall of Fame players.

He took a team that hadn't been anything but a losing franchise and turned them golden.

But when Browns fans bring up Chuck Noll, all they say is "you got him from the Browns."

He wasn't a Browns assistant when we had hired him, he had been with the Colts for a while.

I know the Browns made a lot of contributions to pro football. I don't think anyone that knows football would deny it. But the reality is, the Browns are a joke currently. They have been a joke for a long time.

Ask someone who isn't a Browns fan what the team is known for. You will hear:

The Drive

The Fumble

Red-Right 88

Being moved to Baltimore

The Browns haven't done anything significant since 1964. So please, get off of your high horse like the Browns are some type of dominant team. You guys have had more head coaches since 1999 than the Steelers have had since 1969.

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2009, 04:25 AM

and one thing you'll never be able to shake, is that the browns never made him the head coach !!! :toofunny:

steelreserve
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, look on the bright side. With a name like Syndric Steptoe, he's probably got a great career as a DJ to look forward to.

unce ... unce ... unce ... unce ...

Edman
08-12-2009, 02:05 PM
No doubt the Browns have made a contribution to football. And yes, they were the among the elite NFL franchises, but since the 1970's the Browns have fallen by the wayside into mediocrity and disappointment. They are no longer the symbol of success. They are the poster child of missed opportunities, mismanagement, and snatching defeat from victory.

The Pittsburgh Pirates made a lot of contributions to baseball as well. But don't believe for a second that because of their illustrious past and World Series titles in the 1970's, I can shed a good light on the present and still call them a good organization. The Pirates of Present Day are awful, and they haven't had a winning season in 17 years. They were good in the last century, but they are bad now. It's the facts man.

Fire Haley
08-12-2009, 07:46 PM
More trouble

Browns WR Edwards leaves practice after injuring his foot

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards is back on the stationary bike.

Edwards left the Browns' practice early Wednesday after he appeared to catch his foot in the turf during one-on-one drills, then pointed to his feet. He walked off the practice field without a limp, and trainers attended to him.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d811d86db&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

--------------------------------

Contract status flare up again?

xfl2001fan
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Too bad we wouldn't be able to get good value for him. I doubt we'll be able to resign him...and I can't imagine the Browns trading him and getting something back in return that would do us any good.

Fire Haley
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Speaking of WR's - ho hope here..

Browns | Stallworth suspended for 2009 season

Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:15:33 -0700

NFL.com reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Cleveland Browns WR Donte' Stallworth for the entire 2009 season without pay for violating both the NFL's policy on substances of abuse and the personal conduct policy. Stallworth is not allowed to participate in any team activities and will be reinstated after the Super Bowl.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Stallworth will be cut after he gets reinstated.

And yeah, I don't see Braylon Edwards back in Cleveland unless he becomes a RFA (if there is no new CBA he won't be able to become a UFA until after his 6th year in the league) because then the Browns can match any offer he gets and another team would have to give up draft picks if they lured him away.

revefsreleets
08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
How can you NOT feel sorry for these lovable losers? Every year their camp is ravaged by injuries, then the inevitable staph infections set in, and by October another seasons hopes and dreams are shattered.

The fans are so frazzled and insane that they have no idea who can and cannot play the game of football, and deny they'd even WANT talented players on their team if they were available!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
How can you NOT feel sorry for these lovable losers? Every year their camp is ravaged by injuries, then the inevitable staph infections set in, and by October another seasons hopes and dreams are shattered.

The fans are so frazzled and insane that they have no idea who can and cannot play the game of football, and deny they'd even WANT talented players on their team if they were available!

Simple, I hate the Browns and their fans! :tt03:

Living in Cleveland can be fun and frustrating.

When Stallworth hit that guy with his Bentley, I didn't say a thing to any Browns fan that I saw. I did this to avoid the argument that would ensue (the guy shouldn't have been jaywalking). Even after it turned out Stallworth was drunk, I kept my mouth shut (unless a Browns fan brought it up). The only thing I said without being prompted was that Stallworth got off way to easy and if it was either of us, we would be spending at least five years in jail, and everyone agreed with me.

However, Ben catches a civil suit and everywhere I turn, I hear "Rapistberger".

Browns fans talk so much garbage, they talk like it's the Steelers that have lost 11 straight to them. They have a blind hatred of anything Black and Gold. Not to mention, Browns fans and common sense don't exactly go hand in hand.

revefsreleets
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I treat them like a retarded little brother...it helps...

Nadroj 20
08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Steptoe wouldnt have helped anyways lol

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Simple, I hate the Browns and their fans! :tt03:

Living in Cleveland can be fun and frustrating.

When Stallworth hit that guy with his Bentley, I didn't say a thing to any Browns fan that I saw. I did this to avoid the argument that would ensue (the guy shouldn't have been jaywalking). Even after it turned out Stallworth was drunk, I kept my mouth shut (unless a Browns fan brought it up). The only thing I said without being prompted was that Stallworth got off way to easy and if it was either of us, we would be spending at least five years in jail, and everyone agreed with me.

However, Ben catches a civil suit and everywhere I turn, I hear "Rapistberger".

Browns fans talk so much garbage, they talk like it's the Steelers that have lost 11 straight to them. They have a blind hatred of anything Black and Gold. Not to mention, Browns fans and common sense don't exactly go hand in hand.

Oh the Irony.

I mean this in the nicest way to anyone here on the board, especially you 'Burgh. But I've gotten the same exact treatment from (Bandwagon) Steeler fans I've ran into in Akron/Canton ever since 2004, when a lot of them sprang up over night.

The first thing someone said to me when I entered a convience store the day after the Stallworth incident happen, Steeler fan came up to me the secound he saw my Browns gear on, he started giving me crap about Stalworth and how the Steelers never had any players that did that, and then kept reminding me about the 6 Super Bowl argument pounded in my brain.

I don't think it has anything to do with just being angry at the REAL Steeler fans, hell we share a lot in common with you guys (Whether you like to admit it or not :)), We love chatting up football whenever we get an excuse to. It has a lot to do with the aforementioned fair weather fans popping up seemingly overnight and then instantly talking smack despite the fact they don't know the difference between Heinz Field and Hines Ward, let alone have any knowledge of football. That gets annoying, and I'm sure any real Steeler fan would agree with me, and if there was a bandwagon Browns fan in existence I'd say the same thing.

We do hate the Steelers, but that's something sort of ingrained in our brains. Much like how we're supposed to hate Michigan, the Red Sox, Yankees and now the Celtics/Lakers/Pistons. I'm sure if you were a fan of one of those teams too and lived in the area you'd probably get the exact same amount of smack, maybe even more if you're a Michigan fan lol.

But overall I'm cool with you so long as you're cool with me.

and as for Rev's comments...PUH-LEASE. You know as much as I do how people in Ohio love the sport of pigskin, especially in the Akron/Canton/Cleveland area, despite the short comings of the expansion team that is the Cleveland Browns, doesn't mean that we don't know much about football! Look at the amount of people that have played HS football and what it means to the area. Look at the amount of people glued to the TV screen every Saturday in autumn to watch the great Ohio State Buckeyes play! Hell, the HOF's just down the road from Cleveland! We know great football, we're just not the luckiest people in the world! Big, Big Difference.

Oh and Go Cavs, Bucks and Tribe (F-Dolan though) to both of you. :thumbsup:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Stallworth will be cut after he gets reinstated.

And yeah, I don't see Braylon Edwards back in Cleveland unless he becomes a RFA (if there is no new CBA he won't be able to become a UFA until after his 6th year in the league) because then the Browns can match any offer he gets and another team would have to give up draft picks if they lured him away.

Braylon is gone.

Can pretty much predict that from a mile away, the fact that Mangini took Massaqui speaks volumes.

I'm really liking how he has looked in camp. You guys tend to forget that the Browns took Robiskie and MoMass in the 2nd round and then proceeded to add Mike Furrey, David Patten and still have Josh Cribbs blazing it up (that's for Rev.) in the depth charts. and Steptoe was behind every single person I just listed. Hell, I think Lance Legget, Norwood and Paul Hubbard were on the depth chart over Syndric Steptoe.

SteelCityKing
08-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Braylon is gone.

Can pretty much predict that from a mile away, the fact that Mangini took Massaqui speaks volumes.

I'm really liking how he has looked in camp. You guys tend to forget that the Browns took Robiskie and MoMass in the 2nd round and then proceeded to add Mike Furrey, David Patten and still have Josh Cribbs blazing it up (that's for Rev.) in the depth charts. and Steptoe was behind every single person I just listed. Hell, I think Lance Legget, Norwood and Paul Hubbard were on the depth chart over Syndric Steptoe.

honestly, how well do you think the Browns are going to do this year? be honest.

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Braylon is gone.

i thought cribbs was sitting out if he didn't get a new deal ...

RoethlisBURGHer
08-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Braylon is gone.

Yeah, I expect Edwards to be gone. Maybe he can go play for Detroit, it's in Michigan and it is his hometown.

I know how good Robiske is, I am a Buckeye fan. I didn't see much of MM's play because I don't get to watch a lot of Georgia football, but my cousins down in Atlanta (die-hard Steelers and UGA fans) say he's going to be really good and the Browns got one helluva player in him.

revefsreleets
08-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm not really questioning the Browns fans knowledge as much as I question their decision-making. It's possible to have football knowledge and not use it or misapply it...I seriously just think you guys have been hit in the head with losing too many times and it's made your judgment...um...questionable.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
honestly, how well do you think the Browns are going to do this year? be honest.

6-10, I actually lied to a WTAM reporter and said 10-6, Wild card spot, had to say it in order to get on the air. they like overly optimistic homers over realists.

I see us having one close lose to the Steelers and one blowout, I see us doing so-so against the Rats, and splitting a game with the Bengals, tying for third place.

I expect us to take Sam Young, RT, Notre Dame in the first y next year in order to solidify the right side of the o-line which will be a huge weakness, along side the pass rush and ground game that prevents use from being a good team (along side having an owner that knows what he's doing, lack of depth and injuries)

As for Cribbs he's showed to every single camp and