PDA

View Full Version : The Final Drive Before The End Of The First Half

Man_Of_Steel
01-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I didn't like how Cowher didn't want to drive down the field for at least a field goal. They had over a minute left with all three of their timeouts left. They didn't have that bad of field position and I thought for sure they would at least get in field goal range. You can never score too many points against the Colts and if that would have come back to haunt us I would have been calling for Cowhers head after that. Go for points dammit! I kept telling my dad that after the half ended that that might come back to haunt us, and it almost did.

Prosdo
01-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I can see why they did it. They wanted to be safe instead of making a crucial error before the half.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 10:08 PM
They didnt wanna give the colts any chance to gain any momentum before half time.. if you try a big play and it fails, they get it in their heads that they have the momentum.

I was kinda hoping we'd try for more points.. but its a safe move... typical Steelers fashion.

augustashark
01-15-2006, 10:09 PM
They tried a screen pass to the left and it was there, but the play got busted up! If we pick up a 1st down or more then we would have kept it going! Cowher has done this since he has been here! I feel better going into halftime 14-3 other then maybe Ben throwing an int and the Colts scoring before halftime and then they would get the 2nd half kickoff!

Smart play IMO!

Rotorhead
01-15-2006, 11:38 PM
The only really play calling that annoyed me was when Cowher went for it on 4th and 1 two times, but after that, why didnt they try a play action pass after that for a 1st down? It was painfully obvious that there were 9 in the box and the Colts were ripe for a TD pass! That was a little too conservative on that drive.

rgleason
01-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Plus, they tried the same thing during the 1st Colt game and Ben got picked and they got a FG. Going in 14-3 into the half vs the Colts, its a safe move, and is the right move. Trying to get points with a minute left is the wrong move there and Cowher wisely knelt on it.

SteelerFanInCA
01-16-2006, 12:09 AM
It looked like the coaching staff was content with what we did in the first half. Why chance it?