PDA

View Full Version : Comcast vs. DirectTV

GBMelBlount
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
My wife and I are making a decision between Comcast (which we have now) and Direct TV. I ordered DirectTV and my wife called to cancel the Comcast and they dropped the price $55.

The bottom line is that the top packages of Comcast & DirectTV will be the same price for the next 12 months.

There are no up front fees for the installation of Direct TV.

My wife seems interested in staying with Comcast because she loves all their free OnDemand movies and she was told by Comcast that there is a charge for ALL DirectTV on demand movies.

I am getting a new 1080p projector and am most interested in the HD offerings (which DirectTV appears to have more) and the NFL Sunday ticket is free for 5 months with DirectTV.

The DirectTV is compatible with Netflix so it appears we can download movies from netflix at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

X-Terminator
08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
No FiOS in your area?

MACH1
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Directv has free on-demand too.

GBMelBlount
08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
LOL XT. I was thinking about our conversation on this over a year ago.

I check with Verizon Saturday to replace my Comcast phone & high speed internet and they told me they do not have high speed internet for my address, so I am assuming not.

GBMelBlount
08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Directv has free on-demand too.

I am at work and my wife just told me that Comcast told her that they had no free on-demand. I will call and double check but I'm sure Comcast wouldn't lie..... :chuckle:

They also told her that if we cancel Comcast that we will be plagued by locust and carpenter ants, which obviously complicates the decision.

MACH1
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I am at work and my wife just told me that Comcast told her they didn't. I'm sure they wouldn't lie. :chuckle:

They also told her that if we cancel Comcast that we will be plagued by locust and carpenter ants, which obviously complicates the decision.

:toofunny:

D* also has Multi Room Viewing coming out very soon. Its in beta testing right now or CE as it called. You can record shows on one dvr and watch them on a different receiver in a different room.

If you get Direct and want to get in on the CE testing let me know. I've been doing it for a couple years now and it's kinda nice to have features turned on that the rest of the public don't have yet. :sofunny:

Oh and the HD quality with D is head and heals above comcrap.

X-Terminator
08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
LOL XT. I was thinking about our conversation on this over a year ago.

I check with Verizon Saturday to replace my Comcast phone & high speed internet and they told me they do not have high speed internet for my address, so I am assuming not.

Ah, that sucks.

FiOS is available where I live, but since I live in an apartment, I have to get the landlord's permission before Verizon can run the line. That, and the fact that I will be moving out next year, is the reason why I do not have FiOS right now. Comcast sucks, they're overpriced and they're a bunch of lying assholes. I'll be glad to be rid of them, believe me.

Also, FiOS TV was just approved in the City of Pittsburgh, so Comcast is about to lose even more business. Good.

Dino 6 Rings
08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Only Direct TV has the NFL Package. So if you are an NFL Freak (which I am) then go with Direct TV and get ready to shell out bucks to see every single NFL Game.

If you don't care about that...well then, I can't help you.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
For On-Demand on DirecTV you have to purchase a modem from them, either wireless or wired. Go with DirecTV, there are several different people here at work who are having problems with Comcast billing them way more than what they owe. FYI, I tried Comcast two different times in a 4 year range and they lost all credibility from me. No problems with DirecTV!

MACH1
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
For On-Demand on DirecTV you have to purchase a modem from them, either wireless or wired. Go with DirecTV, there are several different people here at work who are having problems with Comcast billing them way more than what they owe. FYI, I tried Comcast two different times in a 4 year range and they lost all credibility from me. No problems with DirecTV!

Um...no you don't! I have mine networked, one is hardwired from a linksys wrt56g and another is wireless, using a lynksys wga54g wireless game adapter. Works perfect.

KeiselPower99
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I have Dish Network. I like it better then cable only problem is they dont offer phone and internet so I had to sign up with Verizon for those 2 and am paying 90 a month for internet basically cause I dont use the house phone ever

GBMelBlount
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Only Direct TV has the NFL Package. So if you are an NFL Freak (which I am) then go with Direct TV and get ready to shell out bucks to see every single NFL Game.

If you don't care about that...well then, I can't help you.

Not a deal breaker for me but we are getting 5 months of the NFL Sunday Ticket for free. :tt:

TackleMeBen
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
comcast sucks big time. i can tell you many horror stories i have had with them. i was so happy to get rid of them and went with the other cable service offered in the detroit area wow. i like them, but if you are NFL junkie then you have to go with direct tv.

NEPAsteeler
08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
We have Comcast and have never had any problems with them. We have the package where we get the digital cable, phone, and internet all together. We've been with Comcast for years now and never had any issues so I don't know. But NFL Ticket for free for 5 months is a good selling point for sure!

GutterflowerSteel
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I've had DirecTV & NFL Sunday Ticket for the last 10 years - I'm never switching :tt02:

SteelersinCA
08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
+1 for D*, no question the best provider.

GBMelBlount
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
MACH5

D* also has Multi Room Viewing coming out very soon.

That's great but I can only watch it from one room at a time. :chuckle:

Mach5

Its in beta testing right now or CE as it called. You can record shows on one dvr and watch them on a different receiver in a different room.

If you get Direct and want to get in on the CE testing let me know. I've been doing it for a couple years now and it's kinda nice to have features turned on that the rest of the public don't have yet. :sofunny:

Oh and the HD quality with D is head and heals above comcrap.

Sounds great Mach.

It took some "convincing" :wink02: .....but the wife FINALLY gave in......DirectTV it is!
:tt03:

Now about this "multi-room viewing", if I sign up for it do I have to stand in the doorway between the two rooms when I'm watching TV? :huh:

MACH1
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
That's great but I can only watch it from one room at a time. :chuckle:

Sounds great Mach.

It took some "convincing" :wink02: .....but the wife FINALLY gave in......DirectTV it is!
:tt03:

Now about this "multi-room viewing", if I sign up for it do I have to stand in the doorway between the two rooms when I'm watching TV? :huh:

:buttkick:

And for Mach5 :buttkick:

:chuckle:

Preacher
08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
I have directtv now too... have had it for a LONG time. Had some real problems with it when we first switched over to HD, but it seems that they have fixed most of it now.

A couple nice things about DTV, if you have it hooked to your network, you can download a program to your computer and watch anything that is recorded on your DVR on any networked computer.

I WOULD like to know about the multiroom viewing however...

MACH1
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
I WOULD like to know about the multiroom viewing however...

Go here and register.
http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

Then go here to opt in to the CE(Cutting Edge) testing. And learn the how to's.
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Then when you can view the forum, subscribe to this thread so you get alerted for when.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=160137

Its that easy. :drink:

7SteelGal43
08-10-2009, 11:09 PM
For me, the choice was crystal clear. I live in Memphis TN, right smak in the middle of Titans territory. :puke:

I had to get Direct TV...can't live without my NFL Sunday Ticket. :tt03:

Venom
08-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Living in Brooklyn, NY. I live for my Directv. I need it to watch my Steelers on the Nfl Ticket. So I cant answer the question without being bias. Verizon is in my area but doesn't show all of the NY teams in HD.

Hammer67
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
HD has it's issues on all providers. Try looking up "HDLite" on Wikipedia.

I have Charter as my cable option where I live. I tried them out a few years ago when we moved here and they were compressing their HD feeds so badly that ESPNHD looked quite pixely. I switched to DirecTV. My only complaints are that the installers are all subcontracted out so we had a hell of a time getting someone who knew what the hell they were doing. But, the price is right and their HD selection was fantastic.

They did have the HD Lite issue, but since they shot up the new birds (satellites), they have that pretty much resolved. Plus, their HD pay per view movies are in 1080p.

One negative though...On Demand is much better on cable. I know I miss that piece, but DVR has more then made up for it.

I like sports and HDTV, so DirecTV it is for me.

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Had Dish Network and really liked their service...however, the condo i live in prohibits Dish and does an end around on all the FCC "fairness" stuff by providing us free basic cable...so I can't complain as the first $50 of my cable bill is knocked off.

I liked Dish Network fine, and it was DEFINITELY cheaper, but still had some scattered satellite issues.

The BEST all-around service I ever had was U-verse (and I've had them all)...unfortunately the service coverage is still pretty spotty.

Living where I live I get 75% of the Steelers games anyway, so I don't miss Directv (which I had in Florida), and just head to the local sports pub for the games not televised. At $400+ it's just not worth it unless you live out of a primary or secondary Steelers market...

SteelersinCA
08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Rev, do a google search on apartments and satellite service. I don't believe they can get around it by providing you free basic cable. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure they cannot.

MACH1
08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Rev, do a google search on apartments and satellite service. I don't believe they can get around it by providing you free basic cable. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure they cannot.

It depends. He may be covered by the FCC rules (OTARD). If he is then the condo board can't do a darn thing to him putting up a dish.

This is what I found on it.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

revefsreleets
08-12-2009, 07:35 AM
They are in the right...even Dish Network agreed to waive the early termination fee's, and they would NEVER do that if they had a case...

GBMelBlount
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Update: FInally ordered my projector & screen but delayed the DirectTV install due to hefty additional charges for hd dvr's in all but first room.....

So I am wondering if I should look at buying my own HD DVR recorders (Tivo, etc.) for the other rooms. Any thoughts?

Also wondering if I should get a basic Bluray HD dvd player, or, something my daughter can also use for gaming?

steelreserve
08-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Update: FInally ordered my projector & screen but delayed the DirectTV install due to hefty additional charges for hd dvr's in all but first room.....

So I am wondering if I should look at buying my own HD DVR recorders (Tivo, etc.) for the other rooms. Any thoughts?

Also wondering if I should get a basic Bluray HD dvd player, or, something my daughter can also use for gaming?

First off, Comcast completely sucks shit; don't ever go back to them. I had no choice but to use them for several years, and I can't think of a single positive thing to say about them.

Second, with DirecTV, Tivo does a pretty awful job. It can only record on the same channel you're watching; only the DirecTV-branded boxes will let you watch/record two things at once. Although I suppose if you're recording shows in rooms that nobody's in at the time, Tivo would work fine.

Do you really need a DVR for each room? Because you can get a regular DirecTV HD receiver (no DVR) for about 25 bucks on eBay, or Goodwill will probably give you one for free (all kinds of people drop DTV/Comcast boxes there for some reason, but they can't sell them). I'd just do that and have the one DVR in the main room. It lets you record two programs at once.

There's no reason whatsoever to buy a standalone blu-ray player, unless money is a huge concern and you want one of the discount ones. They just cut the price of the PlayStation 3 to $299, which is about what you'd pay for a middle-of-the-road blu-ray player anyway. For the same amount of money, you might as well get one that also does video games and the Internet.

GBMelBlount
08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Here's what I'm wondering Steel (or anyone). Our daughter is interested in the Wii. See I know nothing about the Wii or PS3 except Mach1 PM'd me that if we get her the Wii she'll spend less time sitting on her butt.

I also read about a year ago that panasonic has a really good hd dvr and mach1 confirmed that. I thought I read with the Tivo that you could record stuff and transfer it to other mediums which sounded like a real plus.

Steelreserve

First off, Comcast completely sucks shit; don't ever go back to them

Well, we still have Comcast at the moment and the comcast guy told us that Ben tends to throw less touchdowns on DirectTV as opposed to Comcast and I highly doubt he would lie. Again, this REALLY complicates the decision!.

TheWarDen86
08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I've had DirecTV & NFL Sunday Ticket for the last 10 years - I'm never switching :tt02:

Ditto - Had it since 1997. Although, I might switch if I could get the Steelers on a digital cable or fios.

TheWarDen86
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
BTW - I would not switch if I were you. You do not need the NFL Sunday Ticket to watch the Steelers.

Not saying it happens all the time, but the weather CAN affect the reception with DTV.

My wifey likes the on demand movies too.

Yea, in your case I'd skip it.

Hope that helps.

Pittsky
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
i cant comment on comcast...but i just switched from brighthouse (florida cable) to direcTV for nfl sunday ticket, and i love it....they have their channels spaced in odd ways, but thats my only gripe...doesnt really matter cuz i programmed all my fav channels on my guide...the HD is better on my direcTV than it was on brighthouse...sick!

TheWarDen86
08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
i cant comment on comcast...but i just switched from brighthouse (florida cable) to direcTV for nfl sunday ticket, and i love it....they have their channels spaced in odd ways, but thats my only gripe...doesnt really matter cuz i programmed all my fav channels on my guide...the HD is better on my direcTV than it was on brighthouse...sick!

NFL Sunday ticket is in the 700's
NFL Network and ESPN are in the lower 200's (212 and 206)
HBO, SHOTIME, SKINIMAX, etc are in the 500's.
Fox Sports Pitt is on .....659?? I forget.

Pittsky
08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
NFL Sunday ticket is in the 700's
NFL Network and ESPN are in the lower 200's (212 and 206)
HBO, SHOTIME, SKINIMAX, etc are in the 500's.
Fox Sports Pitt is on .....659?? I forget.

yea i know the basic ones/most important ones...i enjoy fuel, discovery travel, hd theater...they are very spready out...its all good though...got it all figured out. :thumbsup:

my power surged last night and i had to call and have them shoot a signal to the box to get it going this morning...it was like 5:30am, no biggie, done in 15 minutes.

MACH1
08-20-2009, 10:23 PM
yea i know the basic ones/most important ones...i enjoy fuel, discovery travel, hd theater...they are very spready out...its all good though...got it all figured out. :thumbsup:

my power surged last night and i had to call and have them shoot a signal to the box to get it going this morning...it was like 5:30am, no biggie, done in 15 minutes.

You can do that online yourself from their site. No need to mess with the phone tag.

SteelersinCA
08-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Mach1 can confirm this but multi room viewing should be coming out for Directv soon which would eliminate the need for a DVR in every room. You would just need one and could watch the recorded show from any other box.

MACH1
08-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Mach1 can confirm this but multi room viewing should be coming out for Directv soon which would eliminate the need for a DVR in every room. You would just need one and could watch the recorded show from any other box.

Yep..Its already in testing. And it works good now, still a couple bugs to get worked out though. Mostly how to list it on the play list and small stuff like that.

One more round of testing this cycle and everybody should be getting a new automatic update in a week or so (MRV disabled for this test of the new national release.) Then its back to testing MRV. :smile:

MRV isn't public yet. :nana:

Steeldude
08-21-2009, 08:04 AM
i use directv for viewing...

time warner's road runner cable for internet...

and verizon for my cell. i do not have a regular phone. i don't see the point of it.

below is the answer to directv's on-demand movies being free.

Is there a charge for the DIRECTV on DEMAND service?

No, it's a free service provided by DIRECTV. However, in addition to the free content, there are Pay Per View movies and other shows available for purchase.

here is the link http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/faqPage.jsp?assetId=3490044&faq_question=1920004&cat=faq_3

steelreserve
08-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Oh hey, one more thing ... if you do go with DirecTV, they just sent me a coupon that will get you $100 off if you tell them I'm your "friend." It'll get me $100 too. So if you're signing up with them anyway, that's 200 bucks that we can split for free, and maybe it helps with paying for the extra boxes.

Hammer67
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Here's what I'm wondering Steel (or anyone). Our daughter is interested in the Wii. See I know nothing about the Wii or PS3 except Mach1 PM'd me that if we get her the Wii she'll spend less time sitting on her butt.

I also read about a year ago that panasonic has a really good hd dvr and mach1 confirmed that. I thought I read with the Tivo that you could record stuff and transfer it to other mediums which sounded like a real plus.

THe main differences between the Wii and the PS3/Xbox360 is the fact that the Wii is not HD capable and therefore is not a great DVD/Blu Ray player. It is simply a gaming rig. The other two, are more like media center PC's with the PS3 having the added value of having a Blu Ray player (one of the best, I might add) built right in. The Wii has a niche, and serves it well. If you are looking for an addition to a home theater environment, I suggest the PS3 for the advantages already discussed here (Blu Ray, streaming internet, picture and music sharing to your PC, etc.).

Also, try negotiating with DirecTV. I did and got an HD DVR for free...I just signed a 2 year contract extension. No big deal.

Oh hey, one more thing ... if you do go with DirecTV, they just sent me a coupon that will get you $100 off if you tell them I'm your "friend." It'll get me $100 too. So if you're signing up with them anyway, that's 200 bucks that we can split for free, and maybe it helps with paying for the extra boxes.

That's another good idea.

GBMelBlount
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
THe main differences between the Wii and the PS3/Xbox360 is the fact that the Wii is not HD capable and therefore is not a great DVD/Blu Ray player. It is simply a gaming rig. The other two, are more like media center PC's with the PS3 having the added value of having a Blu Ray player (one of the best, I might add) built right in. The Wii has a niche, and serves it well. If you are looking for an addition to a home theater environment, I suggest the PS3 for the advantages already discussed here (Blu Ray, streaming internet, picture and music sharing to your PC, etc.).

Also, try negotiating with DirecTV. I did and got an HD DVR for free...I just signed a 2 year contract extension. No big deal.

That's another good idea.

Thanks Hammer. I am getting the first hd dvr free. I read up on Wii vs. PS3 & xbox last night and it basically stated the same overviews as what you are stating. My daughter and her friends really like Wii and my wife and I have no interest so we will probably go Wii despite the lower resolution. I may think on the PS3 a little more.

GBMelBlount
08-21-2009, 09:44 PM

So you're offering me $100 to be your friend? :chuckle:

Sounds good as long as I can add it to the order that is currently on hold. Perhaps if I tell them my good friend "Steelreserve" convinced me to make the plunge! :thumbsup:

I'll PM you about it.

MACH1
08-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Here's a pdf link for the First Look at Directv Multi Room Viewing.
Its just been authorized to be released to the public. Keep in mind the manual is still a work in progress. Enjoy

DBSTalk MRV First Look (http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/MRV%20First%20Look.pdf)

SteelersinCA
08-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Can't wait for this!