PDA

View Full Version : Steelers courting Ty Law

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow !! imagine picking him up. Assuming he's fully healed from his injury, that would immediately upgrade the other side opposite Deshea..

The Steelers welcomed former New England cornerback Ty Law, an unrestricted free agent after being cut by the Patriots in late February, for a visit to their South Side practice facility on Thursday.
Law, 31, is a 10-year veteran, a four-time AFC Pro Bowl selection and a three-time Super Bowl champion.

He's also an Aliquippa High School graduate.

Law met extensively with Steelers head coach Bill Cowher and was walked to the parking lot by defensive backs coach Darren Perry and assistant defensive backs coach Ray Horton, who took Law to lunch..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_312267.html

clevestinks
03-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Wow , they may be sweet, can we afford him though?? I guess all the talk about Coc and Ike may be for nothing. I doubt it though. I just don`t see us signing Law

HinesWard4Life8682
03-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow imagine having ty law in the black and gold, he might not be explosive player he once was but he still needs to be noticed on the field, he is a smart veteran who makes big plays when u need them the most. He'll really help against the Colts too if we got him. Manning doesnt have a good history against him. It would be great to get him. But he does need alot of money like cleve said and he just got off a very serious injury

Ironman
03-11-2005, 05:12 PM
I love the thought... but I don't think it will happen given the money he would require. He would be a mentor to our young guys though and that may be worth the pay-out.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2005, 05:58 PM
At this point, they are hoping he'll come back to his home town and play for alittle less money, to be back in the area he grew up in. I dont know if he'd be willing to do that, but u never know.

clevestinks
03-11-2005, 06:52 PM
We like the hometown guys, Logan,Batch,Cowher, Darreen Perry. And some others. This may be all it takes. Plus he wants to get back to the Superbowl. Pittsburgh, Philly, Ne and maybe Atl, right now give him his best shot. Not to mention what better way to get back at NE.

Steelersfan
03-11-2005, 11:17 PM
We like the hometown guys, Logan,Batch,Cowher, Darreen Perry. And some others. This may be all it takes. Plus he wants to get back to the Superbowl. Pittsburgh, Philly, Ne and maybe Atl, right now give him his best shot. Not to mention what better way to get back at NE.

YES!!! Get back at the Pats! :thmbup:

JerseySTEEL
03-12-2005, 02:24 AM
would want to see him run on that foot and plus dont know if he would play for our pay that well prob give him.

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Jersey money probably ould be an issue, but like everyone said, he be coming home, this may be his best shot at another ring, PRICELESS

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Rooney impressed w/ Law..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_312627.html

teelers Chairman Dan Rooney was among those in the organization to come away with a positive opinion of former Patriots cornerback Ty Law upon first glance.

"He's a fine young man," Rooney said Friday, the day after Law, an unrestricted free agent, popped into the Steelers' South Side practice facility for a visit.

Law, an Aliquippa native and an Aliquippa High School graduate, was released by the Patriots in a salary-cap purge in late-February.

His trip to see the Steelers wasn't quite the result of a spur-of-the-moment impulse, but nor was it a much-anticipated, weeks-in-the-making event.

"He was here to visit his mother, really," Rooney said. "I don't know if it was the agent's idea or if he just called and said 'why don't I come on over?' Kevin (Colbert, the Steelers' Director of Football Operations) said 'we'd love to see you.'

"He's a great kid. He made a great first impression."

Rooney remains skeptical the Steelers will be able to come to contractual terms with Law, who was on the books to count $12.5 million against the Patriots' salary cap in 2005.

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 10:27 AM
They say he is still at least a month from taking a physical. He has a bad foot problem they also mentioned Duce Staley as being one of ony two players that ever fully recovered from this type of injury. Staley was 24 at the time and Law is 31

JerseySTEEL
03-12-2005, 11:22 AM
ya ir souds rly bad dont know if i would chance siging him.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2005, 01:15 PM
dont worry, if he demands anything close to what he turned down w/ the Pats.. we wont have a chance anyways.

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 03:00 PM
What did he turn down$$ I know what he was due to make, but I didn`t realize they offer him less

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 03:09 PM
If Ty Law won`t be healthy enough for a physical for at least a month, then we would be coming up on the draft, we would need to know sooner than that

BlitzburghRockCity
03-12-2005, 04:00 PM
its on this board somewhere, and online, I cant think of it, but it was some crazy amount in guaranteed money, and he just laughed at them. He was lookin to make as close to triple millions as a DB can make.

clevestinks
03-13-2005, 06:25 AM
I`ll have to look around. appreciate it

BB2W
03-13-2005, 05:50 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14137665&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

PITTSBURGH - Even though the Steelers aren't in desperate need of a cornerback, there's a chance Ty Law could be playing for Pittsburgh next season.

Still hobbling on a surgically repaired foot, Law helped cheer on his alma mater Saturday in a PIAA basketball game. And as he left Duquesne University's Palumbo Center after Aliquippa's 72-70 win over Quaker Valley, Law confirmed that he plans on meeting with the Steelers again soon.

"I'm trying to stay low-key and not say too much about it," said Law, the former New England Patriots' star cornerback who was released by the Super Bowl champs three weeks ago as a salary cap casualty.

Advertisement

"I'm here until Monday. I have to go back and visit with the Steelers again and then I have to go make a couple more stops."

Law, a 31-year-old veteran of 10 NFL seasons, first stopped by Steelers headquarters on the South Side of Pittsburgh on Thursday. He met with coach Bill Cowher and several defensive coaches. He met with owner Dan Rooney. And he met with the Steelers' chief orthopedic surgeon, Dr. James Bradley.

Even though their top four cornerbacks are under contract - Deshea Townsend, Willie Williams, Ricardo Colclough and Ike Taylor - the Steelers are intrigued by Law and are serious about opening negotiations with Law's agents pending the outcome of more tests of Law's foot.

Law suffered a season-ending mid-foot fracture in the Patriots' loss to the Steelers on Oct. 31 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

In January, Law underwent surgery to repair ligament damage in his foot. He is still wearing a soft cast as he rehabilitates his injured foot.

Other teams that might be interested in Law's services include the Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and Dallas Cowboys.

A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Law would have been a $12.5 million salary cap hit if the Patriots would have kept him. He was due to make a base salary of $8.75 million, a $1 million roster bonus plus roughly $2.75 million from his pro-rated signing bonus. Six years ago, Law signed a seven-year contract worth an estimated $51 million.

Even though they recently re-signed kicker Jeff Reed and signed former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson via free agency, the Steelers still could sign Law if they deem him healthy enough to play next year.

Because of the millions he's already made, money isn't a major issue for Law right now. He's willing to accept less money in order to play for a contender.

The Steelers might not have a lot of salary cap room (the cap this year is $85.5 million per team), but they should be contenders again next season. Last season, they went 16-2 and lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2005

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Looks like he's putting forth more of an effort into this, than maybe first thought. There will be other teams that can give him more,but hopefully we have the homefield advantage w/ him, so to speak. so we'll see.

Health is the main deal here, besides the money.

Steelersfan
03-14-2005, 12:49 AM
I hope we can sign him for a decent salary. He would do nothing but help our secondary even if he didn't start. Maybe he could do better at safety. Guess we'll have to see how the foot is in the end.

ironcitychef
03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
If the numbers work, and for not too long, I wouldn't mind having Ty. His advice with Perry and LeBeau would be great for our young guys. Especially if we get one in the draft.

clevestinks
03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
NFL Network just reported that Law was with the Steelers all day again today, And Will McGinnis was on the show talking about how much Ty love Pittsburgh, and his mom would love to see him play there. Look out gentlemen if healthy, if he`ll take a Steelers contract this could be huge.

HinesWard4Life8682
03-14-2005, 09:53 PM
wow that would be amazing... then we wouldnt have to worry as much about corners during the draft and regular season. Ty Law and troy polamalu would be an excellent combination in the secondary. But..... that would be if we signed him. I wish we do

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2005, 11:37 AM
i never rly get that happy about a Fa visting our team bc u never know.Hes 31 comign off a foot injury that only 2 ppl cameback from so would he be a good player for us we dotn know.

clevestinks
03-15-2005, 01:05 PM
I sign him now to a claused contract, if healthy, if plays in all games. pro bowl etc. b4 someone else does. He is making a trip to cleveburgh

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Dr. Bradley and company have long since checked him out and looked him over enuff to even let it go this far. If he's willing to come to the Steelers, I'll take a chance on him. He's a shut down corner than would be amazing to have. Immediately upgrades our secondary even more.

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2005, 01:09 PM
it does move our sec to a very good level and could help so coc and taylor somehtings.

clevestinks
03-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Like I said last night, Willie Mcginiss was live on NFL network and thinks Ty would love Pittsburgh more than anywhere, hope he just lowers his price to play in front of his mama

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Thats about the only hope we have of this working..is him coming down on his demands, to be back home. Similar to what batch did, and logan too.

clevestinks
03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
The only bad thing is not every one wanted Batch or Logan, everyone wants a healthy Law

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
yeah this is true. like they say, money talks and bullshit walks..so we'll see how much he REALLY wants to come back home when the paper hits the pen.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Interesting that KFFL hasnt said anything about this yet. They're usually right on top of the rumor mill.

clevestinks
03-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I`m just croosing my fingers, this maybe, if, the biggest fa we ever picked up??

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 02:57 PM
If we landed Ty Law..it would indeed be the biggest of recent history thats for sure..and since we dont usually do much in FA, in terms of big names.. I'd tend to have to agree with you.

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2005, 11:46 PM
lets just say if he does join that addes alot of depth if hes healthy hehe.

clevestinks
03-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Any new Ty Law news?????

HinesWard4Life8682
03-18-2005, 09:12 PM
yeah.... cleveland browns :crying01:

JerseySTEEL
03-19-2005, 04:39 PM
dotn cry the browns wills till suck lol there like shit stains that wotn go away.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2005, 05:24 PM
no new news as of yet.. but signing w/ the clowns is like a death sentence anyways..so if he does, his career will go down the tubes :D

JerseySTEEL
03-19-2005, 05:26 PM
hehe every person on the browns gets sucked into the browns sinking shit hole...hehe

HinesWard4Life8682
03-19-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah ppl said kellen winslow would be the next shannon sharpe. it doesnt look like that so far

JerseySTEEL
03-23-2005, 05:55 PM
well in college any oen can look good bc most spots there undersized by nfl standerds.

BB2W
04-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Kevin Colbert, director of football operations for the Steelers, said Tuesday there continues to be "mutual interest" between the organization and former All-Pro cornerback Ty Law.

"We had a mutual interest when Ty came in for a visit, and I'd be safe in saying there still is," Colbert said. "Where it goes from here, I don't think any of us can say at this point. Our whole focus is on the draft (April 23-24). Then, after the draft, you say, 'OK, there's still somebody available. How can we do this?' We would look into things then. And, in this instance, both sides remain interested."

This is like the 3rd article I have read stating we will make an attempt to sign Ty Law before the season starts. One write-up said if he is not healthy by the start, and he is not signed that we would attempt to sign him mid-season for a playoff run.

You know of all the teams in the NFL, he would love to come here. He could play in his hometown, and he could be the difference maker for us to beat his old team the Patriots. I am sure he would love to bring the Lombardi trophy back to Pittsburgh after his amazing run in New England. He could go down as one of the best corners of all time........and he knows that.

clevestinks
04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
And its not Aprils Fools

clevestinks
04-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I was just reading this on CBSSports.com ::

The Steelers like DB Ty Law and believe he'll be healthy enough in 2005 to make an impact, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. He remains on the team's radar screen.

Still Hope!

geran42o
04-13-2005, 04:10 PM
I would love to see Law in the Black and Gold. I just can't see where we'll get the money for him. Unless he takes a hell of a paycut.

hardwork
04-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Law has to take a pay cut, he knows that.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2005, 11:45 AM
a TREMENDOUS pay cut !!!

hardwork
04-14-2005, 01:20 PM
That's right.

After he passed a physical, involving several strenuous workouts, over several days, I'd say his worth about 1 mil in salary, with incentives that would bring him up to 3 to 3.5 mil, plus a signing bonus of about 500,000.

clevestinks
04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Thats probably in the ballpark. Lets hope the hometown boy wants to play cheap, for his mother