PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Arlen Specter

7SteelGal43
08-11-2009, 12:17 PM
:applaudit::hatsoff::thmbup:

My hat's off to PA senator Arlen Specter for his town hall meeting in Labanon PA today. He held an open forum where his constituents could have their voice heard. And the constituents thanked him for it. He did not try to script this. People asked him THEIR questions and told him THEIR concerns and then they listened to HIS response. It was a very orderly, civil, and decent exchange. Each person who'd been chosen was called in turn and given their chance to speak. Awesome job Senator Specter. And to all those who were in attendance, give yourselves a hand for peacably taking part and enjoying one of many rights you've been given in this country. Thank you Senator Specter, I was SO SO proud to be an American as I watched this great event and I hope we see more of this in EVERY state and with EVERY senator and representative. Even after we sort out this health care issue.

Senator Spector, I hope we can take you at your word that you WILL NOT support any legislation that provides free medical care to illegals.

One line in the bill states that we're required to pay a 2% tax if our current medical coverage isn't adequate enough. You stated you COULD NOT vote for a provision with such vague language. Please make good on that promise.

ON A SIDE NOTE : I'd been watching this live on FOX for about 45 minutes. While it was still going on, I turned to the Direct TV news mix channel where it shows 8 different news channels on your screen and you can choose the audio for any of the channels. CNN is the channel in the first box and it is obviously the audio you hear until you change it. CNN had it's news anchor speaking and very clearly over her shoulder you can see a LIVE shot of the town hall meeting. You see a seated, orderly crowd, you see a man standing near Specter asking his question. The picture istelf is quite boring. And yet (you're gonna love this) the anchor woman says "Sparks are flying in Lebanon"

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
There are also provisions for 8% surcharge taxes for small business and I believe something like 15% penalty tax for people who opt for no coverage.

PisnNapalm
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I'll never believe another word that comes out of Specter's mouth. http://www.pisnnapalm.com/smilies_files/dry.gif

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh, yeah, by the by, I'm no fan either...

43Hitman
08-11-2009, 02:21 PM

My hat's off to PA senator Arlen Specter for his town hall meeting in Labanon PA today. He held an open forum where his constituents could have their voice heard. And the constituents thanked him for it. He did not try to script this. People asked him THEIR questions and told him THEIR concerns and then they listened to HIS response. It was a very orderly, civil, and decent exchange. Each person who'd been chosen was called in turn and given their chance to speak. Awesome job Senator Specter. And to all those who were in attendance, give yourselves a hand for peacably taking part and enjoying one of many rights you've been given in this country. Thank you Senator Specter, I was SO SO proud to be an American as I watched this great event and I hope we see more of this in EVERY state and with EVERY senator and representative. Even after we sort out this health care issue.

Senator Spector, I hope we can take you at your word that you WILL NOT support any legislation that provides free medical care to illegals.

One line in the bill states that we're required to pay a 2% tax if our current medical coverage isn't adequate enough. You stated you COULD NOT vote for a provision with such vague language. Please make good on that promise.

ON A SIDE NOTE : I'd been watching this live on FOX for about 45 minutes. While it was still going on, I turned to the Direct TV news mix channel where it shows 8 different news channels on your screen and you can choose the audio for any of the channels. CNN is the channel in the first box and it is obviously the audio you hear until you change it. CNN had it's news anchor speaking and very clearly over her shoulder you can see a LIVE shot of the town hall meeting. You see a seated, orderly crowd, you see a man standing near Specter asking his question. The picture istelf is quite boring. And yet (you're gonna love this) the anchor woman says "Sparks are flying in Lebanon"

That's easy, they'll just make them all legal first. :wink02:

J Dogg
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
1. The liberal wing of the party will not allow any health care bill to go through that doesn't cover illegals. The BDs can do what they want, but the liberals hold all the cards right now and they want coverage for illegals. Guys like Arlen will be mowed down if they stand in the way.

2. Immigration reform is next after health care and you can bet your bottom dollar that the liberals want an easy path to citizenship for illegals. Once again, the BDs can stand in the way here, but only those in districts not affected heavily by illegal immigration. The way I read this deal is that there will be some kind of program set up for those who are here now. But after that has run it's course, the borders are going to tightened up.

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I completely disagree, ESPECIALLY in the Senate: These guys exist to be re-elected, and the illegal issue is hot potato that ONLY the extreme liberals will touch. This, cap and trade, gay marriage and maybe a couple other issues are too hot to actually have an opponent stand up against an incumbent in a debate and be able to point out a "yay" vote next to their name. There is no existing bill with illegal coverage in it, nor will there be.

(As and FYI, and informational for people who still play Ostrich on Obamie, HE wants EVERYONE covered, legal or not)

Immigration reform is another matter...

PisnNapalm
08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20090811brk_ap_specter_1_330.jpg

7SteelGal43
08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
DISCLAIMER By starting this thread with the original post, I in no way meant to endorse Specter, or his politics. Was simply giving credit where credit was due. See ? We're not all partisan hacks here the GOP :usa:

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2009, 03:43 PM

"
i hate to burst your bubble, but we already pay for illegal immigrants health care...

Illegal Immigrants Account for $10.7 Billion of Nation’s Health Care Costs, Data Show
(CNSNews.com) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said that “illegal immigrants are not covered” in the health care reform legislation that is now working its way through House committees. But when asked about illegal immigrants who go to public hospitals for care, Pelosi told CNN’s State of the Nation on Sunday the law requires that they be treated.
“If you’re in this country illegally, should you be able to get health care?” CNN’s John King asked Pelosi. “No, illegal immigrants are not covered by this plan,” she replied.
“The numbers that I’ve been running come up to a total of $10.7 billion a year,” Martin told CNSNews.com. Those costs include the cost of so-called “anchor babies” – babies born to illegal immigrant parents in U.S. hospitals, almost always at taxpayers’ expense.
http://www.cnsnews.com/public/Content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51751

PisnNapalm
08-11-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.wgal.com/video/20356727/index.html

Skip the first guy's rant. I like the points made by the others.

7SteelGal43
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
As I was watching President Obamas town hall meeting, a line from one of my favorite movies came to mind.....

"so this is how freedom dies....to thunderous applause"

silver & black
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
As I was watching President Obamas town hall meeting, a line from one of my favorite movies came to mind.....

"so this is how freedom dies....to thunderous applause"

What movie is that from? That quote may turn out to be the quote of the century if Obama gets his way.

7SteelGal43
08-11-2009, 11:43 PM
What movie is that from? That quote may turn out to be the quote of the century if Obama gets his way.

From Star Wars, EP 1 or 2 I think. Honestly not sure if he says "liberty" "democracy" or "freedom", but in light of my reference, they're pretty much interchangable.

JEFF4i
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Episode 3, jeez...

That said, you guys do realize that illegal immigrants are immaculately taken care of under our current system, yes?

tony hipchest
08-12-2009, 01:31 AM
From Star Wars, EP 1 or 2 I think. Honestly not sure if he says "liberty" "democracy" or "freedom", but in light of my reference, they're pretty much interchangable.so what you are saying is you dont even remember what one of your favorite movies is, let alone what is actually said in the quote?

:screwy:

speaking of star wars, some "ground contol" may be in order, major tom.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/david+bowie/space+oddity_20036711.html

i think all the space cadet and lunar module jokes take care of themselves. :wink02:

silver & black
08-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Episode 3, jeez...

That said, you guys do realize that illegal immigrants are immaculately taken care of under our current system, yes?

Unfortunately... yes.

J Dogg
08-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Episode 3, jeez...

At the expense of people who have insurance.

stlrtruck
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
http://www.wgal.com/video/20356727/index.html

Skip the first guy's rant. I like the points made by the others.

The guy in the red stripped shirt (the one after the rant) had some great points.

7SteelGal43
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Episode 3, jeez...

Actually yes, but I wasn't sure if legislation has already passed mandating it or if it was just something we did out of the 'goodness' of our heart. I guess my main point was Specter gave the impression he did not support the idea of U S Taxpayers paying for health care for illegals.

Now I have a question for you. Do you realize that illegals will be counted in the census possibly giving California as many as 9 new representatives? Wonder which state is going to lose a representative or two. Both American born AND legal, naturalized American citizens could possibly be losing their voice to illegals. If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Godfather
08-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Actually yes, but I wasn't sure if legislation has already passed mandating it or if it was just something we did out of the 'goodness' of our heart. I guess my main point was Specter gave the impression he did not support the idea of U S Taxpayers paying for health care for illegals.

Now I have a question for you. Do you realize that illegals will be counted in the census possibly giving California as many as 9 new representatives? Wonder which state is going to lose a representative or two. Both American born AND legal, naturalized American citizens could possibly be losing their voice to illegals. If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

I'm guessing you're thinking of PA, but Louisiana is almost guaranteed to lose a seat.

7SteelGal43
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm guessing you're thinking of PA, but Louisiana is almost guaranteed to lose a seat.

ANY state losing ANY reps to illegals is completey unacceptable. Period.

MasterOfPuppets
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
ANY state losing ANY reps to illegals is completey unacceptable. Period.
any state WITH illegals that aren't do anything about it is unacceptable. the fact that the the vast majority of the population wants something done about it, and the fact that washington is doing NOTHING about it already shows we have no voice...so whats the diff ??? :noidea:

7SteelGal43
08-12-2009, 06:28 PM
any state WITH illegals that aren't do anything about it is unacceptable. the fact that the the vast majority of the population wants something done about it, and the fact that washington is doing NOTHING about it already shows we have no voice...so whats the diff ??? :noidea:

Hey, you're preachin to the choir here, MOP. The diff to me is, much like we're taking action, REAL action, regarding this health care, we ought to be like "...and another thing..." and let 'em know we're none to happy about the steady stream of illegals that trickle through and have a negative affect on our economy and reshape the electoral college. And both sides of the aisle are like :noidea: "what can we do?". This madness has to stop. "Profling" be damned. Check their papers. if they aren't legal, back they go. We've had illegals in custody for dui or robbery or assault or...whatever.....and then DO NOT deport them ? WTF ? If I didn't know better, I'd swear that members of congress on both sides of the aisle really didn't WANT to get rid of the illegals. (yes, that last line was dripping with sarcasm)

CLEAN HOUSE.....AND THE SENATE TOO !!!!
2010 AND 2012 ARE VERY NEAR MY FRIEND :thumbsup:

JEFF4i
08-13-2009, 12:52 AM
At the expense of people who have insurance.

Hey now I'm not entirely on the opposite side of the road here. I hate paying what I pay for insurance every month, lol, especially when we were in the hospital an unnamed nurse (specifically unnamed) explained that the majority of new moms that day were "undocumented immigrants."

Well no I hadn't read anything about the Census counting illegals as well. I know it's become cliche for me to say, but do you have a source? Not being argumentative here, I actually would like to read this and see more, as it's pretty crappy.

And yes, it bothers me.

As far as healthcare goes, I'm just not sure what a good solution is, to be honest. I think it's all a mess. We barely afford ours, and the coverage leaves some to be desired at the moment.

MACH1
08-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Hey now I'm not entirely on the opposite side of the road here. I hate paying what I pay for insurance every month, lol, especially when we were in the hospital an unnamed nurse (specifically unnamed) explained that the majority of new moms that day were "undocumented immigrants."

Well no I hadn't read anything about the Census counting illegals as well. I know it's become cliche for me to say, but do you have a source? Not being argumentative here, I actually would like to read this and see more, as it's pretty crappy.

And yes, it bothers me.

As far as healthcare goes, I'm just not sure what a good solution is, to be honest. I think it's all a mess. We barely afford ours, and the coverage leaves some to be desired at the moment.

I heard something about it on the radio today. I think something about that the census bureau was going to count illegals and it would give cali something like 9 new representatives.

JEFF4i
08-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I heard something about it on the radio today. I think something about that the census bureau was going to count illegals and it would give cali something like 9 new representatives.

Hmmm. Good for New MExico :toofunny:

Bad for me :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
08-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey, you're preachin to the choir here, MOP. The diff to me is, much like we're taking action, REAL action, regarding this health care, we ought to be like "...and another thing..." and let 'em know we're none to happy about the steady stream of illegals that trickle through and have a negative affect on our economy and reshape the electoral college. And both sides of the aisle are like :noidea: "what can we do?". This madness has to stop. "Profling" be damned. Check their papers. if they aren't legal, back they go. We've had illegals in custody for dui or robbery or assault or...whatever.....and then DO NOT deport them ? WTF ? If I didn't know better, I'd swear that members of congress on both sides of the aisle really didn't WANT to get rid of the illegals. (yes, that last line was dripping with sarcasm)

thats just it...they DON'T wanna get rid of them !!! giving them a ride to the border doesn't do a damn bit of good considering they just turn around and climb right back under the fence. the FIRST thing they need to do is plug up the holes that they get through before wasting time by deporting.they don't need a fence, they need a 3 foot thick 20 ft high concrete wall with NATIONAL GUARD walking on it like they do at prisons, with surviellence cameras and motion sencors... and the check point personel needs to be rotated freaquently to make it more difficult for them to find the corrupt ones that take bribes.
then they need to start focusing on the people who hire them and revamp the system as far as identification when seeking employment...they don't have to look for them to deport them. cut off thier source of income and they'll leave on thier own.

MACH1
08-13-2009, 01:31 AM
A simple fix. Give the border agents the shoot to kill order. That should slow them down and the drug trafficking.

SteelersinCA
08-13-2009, 01:41 AM

Just a question but why is the Constitution the first thing to go? It should be the last thing to be touched.

SteelersinCA
08-13-2009, 01:43 AM
So do the people supporting Obamacare have the fortitude to deny illegals health care since they are specifically not covered. Or are they going to get coverage under some mandate that no one go without. Saying they aren't covered, and not giving them medical care that someone has to pay for are two ENTIRELY different animals.

MasterOfPuppets
08-13-2009, 02:18 AM
A simple fix. Give the border agents the shoot to kill order. That should slow them down and the drug trafficking.
that or a 300 yard buffer zone heavily laced with mines.... if you make it.. welcome to the usa...:tt03:

Rancher who rounded up border crossers on trial

A federal jury in Arizona is deciding if a ranch owner can detain illegal immigrants he caught on his land.
Arizona rancher Roger Barnett, 64, owner of the 22,000-acre Cross Rail Ranch near Douglas, Ariz, is one defendent in a $32 milllion civil rights trial brought by 16 Mexican citizens he detained at gunpoint in March 2007.
"This is my land. I'm the victim here,'' Barnett told the Washington Times.

Barnett acknowledged detaining over 12,000 illegal immigrants on his ranch and turning them over to the Border Patrol since 1998, when border enforcement operations began to funnel illegal crossers to remote areas. He told the Times he was protecting his property from illegal immigrants who had killed calves, destroyed fences, gates and water pumps, and broken into his home.

Along the Texas-Mexico border, confrontations between ranchers and illegal immigrants have a long and tragic history. Since 1999, there have been a half-dozen shootings of Mexican immigrants by property owners or ranch hands along the border, some of them accidential and others intentional.
In 2004, a San Antonio energy company owner agreed to a $15 million settlement for the family of a 24-year-old Mexican man killed by a worker on his 17,000-acre ranch east of Laredo. The ranch worker, later indicted on manslaughter charges, claimed he was hunting and mistook the illegal immigrant who was crossing the border for a wild hog.
http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/archives/2009/02/rancher_who_rou_1.html

7SteelGal43
08-13-2009, 02:48 AM
thats just it...they DON'T wanna get rid of them !!! giving them a ride to the border doesn't do a damn bit of good considering they just turn around and climb right back under the fence. the FIRST thing they need to do is plug up the holes that they get through before wasting time by deporting.they don't need a fence, they need a 3 foot thick 20 ft high concrete wall with NATIONAL GUARD walking on it like they do at prisons, with surviellence cameras and motion sencors... and the check point personel needs to be rotated freaquently to make it more difficult for them to find the corrupt ones that take bribes.
then they need to start focusing on the people who hire them and revamp the system as far as identification when seeking employment...they don't have to look for them to deport them. cut off thier source of income and they'll leave on thier own.

Ya know the really sad part ? From what I understand, funding and legislation has been in place for a long time do to most of the things you mentioned. So why the hell hasn't it been done ?

revefsreleets
08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, here's a thought. If things continue to worsen in the US, they may go back to Mexico on their own. Hell, maybe US citizens will start sneaking into Mexico? Nationalize healthcare and see the US take yet another step towards second-tier nation status...