PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Focused on solving Steelers, Big Ben

Kvnfaber
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth

Ravens focused on solving Steelers, Big Ben
August 11, 2009 11:45 AM
Posted by Sal Paolantonio

WESTMINSTER, Md. -- You can't blame the Ravens for being a little obsessed with the world champion Steelers -- after all, Baltimore lost all three games to Pittsburgh in 2008.

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
The Ravens were able to get pressure on Ben Roethlisberger last year, but sacks proved elusive.
A three-point loss at Heinz Field on Monday night in Week 4, a night when rookie quarterback Joe Flacco came of age.
In Week 14, a heart-breaking loss in Baltimore, referee Walt Coleman ruled that Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes crossed the goal line with 43 seconds left -- a call that many in the Ravens organization still stew about.
And then a beatdown in the AFC Championship Game at Heinz Field, when young Flacco was just 13-of-30 passing with three picks and no touchdown passes.
So, it's no surprise that when you ask the Ravens venerable general manager, Ozzie Newsome, what it will take to beat the Steelers this season, he has two quick responses: "Get No. 7 down," and "Be better in the passing game." Before we address sacking Ben Roethlisberger, let's talk about Flacco.

The Ravens finished 28th in the league in passing. That doesn't tell the whole story. During the regular season, Flacco completed a gaudy 60 percent of his passes -- very good for a rookie. But in the playoffs, his completion rate plummeted to 44 percent against three nasty defenses: Miami, Tennessee and Pittsburgh. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that was the lowest completion percentage (with a minimum 50 attempts) for any quarterback in the postseason in 10 years. (Mark Brunell completed just 40 percent of his passes for the Jaguars in 1998.)

And in three games against the Steelers, Flacco had just one touchdown pass last season -- a dinky 4-yarder to tight end Daniel Wilcox. The strong-armed rookie was just unable to solve Dick LeBeau's pass defense.

"We've got to be more consistent in the passing game, move the chains, control the tempo on offense with balance," said Newsome.

Newsome said that won't matter if the Ravens defense, which finished second in the league to Pittsburgh last season, does not do a better job of sacking Roethlisberger.

"We've got to get No. 7 on the ground," said Newsome, without missing a beat. "We get clean shots at him, but we're not getting him down. I remember we used to have trouble getting to Steve McNair and bringing him down. But Roethlisberger is much tougher. His movement out of the pocket, his ability to throw on the run is what killed us."

The Ravens finished just 11th in the league last year with 34 sacks -- primarily because their primary pass-rusher, Terrell Suggs, has just 13 sacks in the last two seasons.

In all three games against the Ravens last season, using his creativity to stay alive in the pocket, Roethlisberger hit Holmes with killer touchdown passes that proved to be the margin of difference between the play of the two quarterbacks, and the score.

Ravens head coach Jim Harbaugh insisted that his training camp was focused on many things, but he did admit one this: The Ravens' defense is learning to make sure the quarterback goes down. "We are working here a lot on the scramble drill," said Harbaugh. In other words, when the opposing quarterback starts to move out of the pocket, the defense has certain rules of engagement: engage and, hopefully bring down.

Sal Paolantonio is an ESPN bureau reporter based in Philadelphia.

I love how much we are in their heads, and also how we can see Lebeau's mastery of defense and how Flacco wasn't anywhere near solving it last year. Hopefully this holds true again this year!

TackleMeBen
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Ozzie Newsome, what it will take to beat the Steelers this season, he has two quick responses: "Get No. 7 down,
good luck with that, even with the crappy OL we had last year, your ravens still couldnt bring #7 down.:tt03:

Ravens head coach Jim Harbaugh insisted that his training camp was focused on many things, but he did admit one this: The Ravens' defense is learning to make sure the quarterback goes down
hey coach harbaugh, be careful what you say, because we have two of the meanest guys on defense, that eat QBs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I vote coach tomlin releases harrison and woodley on flacco and see if he can get up:wink02:

Kvnfaber
08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
hey coach harbaugh, be careful what you say, because we have two of the meanest guys on defense, that eat QBs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I vote coach tomlin releases harrison and woodley on flacco and see if he can get up:wink02:

I account our success against them last year almost totally to our matchup of QB vs. Defense.

Big Ben vs. the Ravens Defense is just a mismatch with Flacco against our Defense. After a year to think about it and learn, we'll see if Flacco can close the gap a bit, but my money, obviously, is with Big Ben and our LB's!

steelreserve
08-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Whatever. Flacco's going to have a chokey season, and with their defense being knocked down a peg, the Ravens are prime candidates to go 6-10.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Stupid Ravens, by the time we play late in the Season they will have already been eliminated from the playoffs and we'll have the AFC North all but Locked Up.

Dumb Ravens. Worry about Week 1 not week 12.

I'm sure the Chiefs, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, Patriots, Vikings, Broncos and Colts would love to know the Ravens are over looking them.

Dumb Fcking Ravens.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I mean really, I'm so happy that we play the Titans week 1. There is no over look at all, no chance of it, not after the Towell incident. Our Team's focus is going to be unquestionable, we owe the Titans.

The Ravens are walking around in "I hate Pittsburgh" T-shirts and we don't play til week 12. Stupid Fcking Ravens. Classic. We are so in their heads they can't focus on the task at hand. and the task at hand is to Make the Playoffs, not just beat the Steelers.

Dumb Fckign Ravens.

Steel Head
08-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Joe Fluke-o is going to suck this year....sophomore slump baby!!!!!

ps - why after Big Ben's record breaking rookie year, all we heard was how he was going to hit a sophmore slump the next year and of course he went on to have a great second season and win the Super Bowl BUT now nobody predicts the dreaded sophomore slump anybody else? :noidea:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
They won't be bringing Big Ben down and Flacco won't be making any big plays.

When Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, and Timmons get done with him, he might need carted off of the field.

stlrtruck
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
It's a shame that the organization as a whole is focused on one team - THE STEELERS.

Focusing solely on us, is going to prove to be their downfall this year. Should they win just one game against us, they'll suffer the emotional break down and eventually lose to a team like Detroit!

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM
This is what happens when you defeat a team 3 times in one season...not only do they start to obsess over you, they also start doubting whether they CAN beat you, and at that point you've already beaten them.

Look at the Browns. We've completely broken their will...they CAN'T beat us now...

TackleMeBen
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
It's a shame that the organization as a whole is focused on one team - THE STEELERS.

Focusing solely on us, is going to prove to be their downfall this year. Should they win just one game against us, they'll suffer the emotional break down and eventually lose to a team like Detroit!
sshhhhh!!!! dont say that. i need Detroit to go 0-16 again:chuckle:. now you have gone and jinxed them into winning a game... :banging:

stlrtruck
08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
My bad. But wouldn't it be hilarious if they go 1-15 and the only victory is the ratbirds?

TackleMeBen
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
My bad. But wouldn't it be hilarious if they go 1-15 and the only victory is the ratbirds?
being a steeler fan, yes it would. but having to live in detroit, i am rooting for another 0-16 so i can laugh at all the lion fans.:chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
The Steelers are obviously the team the Ravens need to beat in order to win the division and most likely one of the teams to beat to continue to advance in the playoffs. And they have been for some time, so it makes sense for the Ravens to focus on that aspect of life in the AFCN.

That doesn't mean Harbaugh and the Ravens are focused solely on the Steelers, but let's face facts. At this point in time, if you can beat the Steelers, you can beat anybody. Prepping your team to be able to win against the Super Bowl champions preps your team to go up against any other franchise.

Ravnet
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't understand why you all think it's so unhealthy for Baltimore to be preoccupied with the Steelers.

Not only do we have to get through you if we want a good seed in the playoffs, but we also have to beat you if we want to simply advance in the playoffs.

We have no choice but to fret over Pittsburgh as you're the biggest obstacle in the league if we want to get to the Super Bowl. . .

Would you guys spit on the Bills for discussing how to beat New England in training camp?

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
The Steelers are obviously the team the Ravens need to beat in order to win the division and most likely one of the teams to beat to continue to advance in the playoffs. And they have been for some time, so it makes sense for the Ravens to focus on that aspect of life in the AFCN.

That doesn't mean Harbaugh and the Ravens are focused solely on the Steelers, but let's face facts. At this point in time, if you can beat the Steelers, you can beat anybody. Prepping your team to be able to win against the Super Bowl champions preps your team to go up against any other franchise. but yet everytime i see a raven article, its about the steelers. does suggs have a t-shirt that mentions the browns or bungles ?

Crow-Magnon
08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
but yet everytime i see a raven article, its about the steelers. does suggs have a t-shirt that mentions the browns or bungles ?

I have no idea, but I'd say probably not. Then again, how have the Ravens fared against Cincy and Cleveland over the years as compared to Pittsburgh?

Which is not to say they are being overlooked (I'd never overlook Palmer), but it isn't apples to oranges.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Look, if the Ravens lose two games to the Steelers next year, and are 14-2, they are in the playoffs. Then they need to just focus on whoever they play and if they make it to the AFC Title game (which 14-2 would probably mean a home AFC Title Game for the Ravens) then they can break out the "we hate the Steelers" Stuff.

Til then, they need to worry about the 11 games on their schedule BEFORE They Play Us. Yet I don't see them in any "I hate the Chiefs" T-shirts.

Tell you what, The Steelers are Focussed on the Mother Effing Titans. You can take that to the bank.

Crow-Magnon
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Look, if the Ravens lose two games to the Steelers next year, and are 14-2, they are in the playoffs. Then they need to just focus on whoever they play and if they make it to the AFC Title game (which 14-2 would probably mean a home AFC Title Game for the Ravens) then they can break out the "we hate the Steelers" Stuff.

Til then, they need to worry about the 11 games on their schedule BEFORE They Play Us. Yet I don't see them in any "I hate the Chiefs" T-shirts.

Tell you what, The Steelers are Focussed on the Mother Effing Titans. You can take that to the bank.

Wow, you're a lot more confident than I am! :chuckle:

Look, I know what you're saying, and I'm not really saying you're wrong, but it's two different things. At least it appears that way to me. Like I said before, Harbaugh, Mattison and Cameron are looking squarely at these next four preseason games and then at the Chiefs, but they are also looking at how the Ravens lost three games against the Steelers last year and what can they do to prevent that from occuring this year.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, you're a lot more confident than I am! :chuckle:

Look, I know what you're saying, and I'm not really saying you're wrong, but it's two different things. At least it appears that way to me. Like I said before, Harbaugh, Mattison and Cameron are looking squarely at these next four preseason games and then at the Chiefs, but they are also looking at how the Ravens lost three games against the Steelers last year and what can they do to prevent that from occuring this year.

but its kind of like Steelers fans dwelling on the Patriots. That's all I'm saying. I don't care about the Pats right now. I post on their forum for fun cause I get along with them and like to argue with them, but they aren't even on our schedule this year so until they make the playoffs and are across the field from our guys, I don't really care about them. That's all I'm saying. If you let one team get into your head like that, well, its just going to Distract you from the mission.

I know, I sound cliche' and what not, but that's truly how I am. Right now, the team I hate the most in the NFL is the Titans, and that's because they are Week 1. I watched them the other night, scouting them in my own mind.

Fire Haley
08-11-2009, 05:09 PM
We have no choice but to fret over Pittsburgh

Flacco's 18.2 QB rating vs. Troy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2009-01/44591510.jpg

Yeah - he should be ascared

pancake
08-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I look for the Bungals to give the Ravens trouble this year.

JackHammer
08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
but its kind of like Steelers fans dwelling on the Patriots. That's all I'm saying. I don't care about the Pats right now. I post on their forum for fun cause I get along with them and like to argue with them, but they aren't even on our schedule this year so until they make the playoffs and are across the field from our guys, I don't really care about them. That's all I'm saying. If you let one team get into your head like that, well, its just going to Distract you from the mission.

I know, I sound cliche' and what not, but that's truly how I am. Right now, the team I hate the most in the NFL is the Titans, and that's because they are Week 1. I watched them the other night, scouting them in my own mind.

That's all well and good, but this is training camp.You don't spend all training camp preparing only for your week 1 opponent. Mini-camp/training camp is a time when you're looking at the big picture and implementing new things. Schemes, techniques, areas of focus, mentality, players, etc. etc. etc.

Being out of the top 10 in sacks, and 28th in pass offense are bigger issues for the Ratbirds. So they need to focus on these things in camp anyways. They need to implement a mentality of getting to the QB and finishing the job. They NEED to improve their pass offense. Not just against us, but against everyone.

On top of all of that, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE MEDIA. The Ravens lost to us, their most hated rival, 3 times last year, including the AFCCG. What do you think their media is asking about most of the time? If you don't think it's the Steelers, you're bat$hit crazy. Of course most of the talk is going to be about beating the Steelers this year. And it would be the exact same way here if it were the other way around.

Crow-Magnon
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
That's all well and good, but this is training camp.You don't spend all training camp preparing only for your week 1 opponent. Mini-camp/training camp is a time when you're looking at the big picture and implementing new things. Schemes, techniques, areas of focus, mentality, players, etc. etc. etc.

Being out of the top 10 in sacks, and 28th in pass offense are bigger issues for the Ratbirds. So they need to focus on these things in camp anyways. They need to implement a mentality of getting to the QB and finishing the job. They NEED to improve their pass offense. Not just against us, but against everyone.

On top of all of that, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE MEDIA. The Ravens lost to us, their most hated rival, 3 times last year, including the AFCCG. What do you think their media is asking about most of the time? If you don't think it's the Steelers, you're bat$hit crazy. Of course most of the talk is going to be about beating the Steelers this year. And it would be the exact same way here if it were the other way around.

Great post, sir. You said it better than I did.

Psyychoward86
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
That was fun to read. What's Ben's record against the Ravens?

steel striker
08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Sometimes I listen to that radio station callled 105.7 the fan in Baltimore because, I live in Delaware. They took a poll and it was pretty one sided the most raven fans would rather beat our steelers rather then win a super bowl. Does that say it all? lol

7SteelGal43
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Good Luck with that :thmbup:

:toofunny:

Ravnet
08-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Sometimes I listen to that radio station callled 105.7 the fan in Baltimore because, I live in Delaware. They took a poll and it was pretty one sided the most raven fans would rather beat our steelers rather then win a super bowl. Does that say it all? lol

You've got to be kidding me if you think most fans would prefer to beat Pittsburgh over winning a Super Bowl.

Indo
08-12-2009, 09:04 AM
They go hand in hand, don't they?

In order to win a SB you have to beat the Steelers

mmalone
08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I look for the Bungals to give the Ravens trouble this year.

Could be, i think Cinci comes in #2 this year.

Stover is gone, Ravens kick more field goals than us i think per year...
So how many threes will be missed this year for the ravens minus the Stover.

Receivers are dwindling...

The D is softer and the coach is gone.

Cinci. Upgraded the linebackers real well. I guess its still up to palmer and 85
to get things done. but they have the weapons over the ravens this year.

But either of these teams will make the playoffs...

positive for everyone, we all get 3 bye weeks this year. one scheduled and 2 browns games.

simonsfs30
08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Could be, i think Cinci comes in #2 this year.

positive for everyone, we all get 3 bye weeks this year. one scheduled and 2 browns games.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

agreee with cincy #2 lasy year they were like#12 D and they improve this year, i think the ravens win less than 8 games

Ishkabibble
08-12-2009, 10:08 AM

That's unbelievable, really. Would rather beat the Steelers than win a Super Bowl? So if they went 2-0 against Pittsburgh this year...and what're the odds of that?...that'd somehow be more satisfying than knocking off the NFL Champs in early February?
The Steelers must be COMPLETELY in the heads of that fanbase. Weirdest part of all is these guys actually won a SB back in 2000; it's not like Red Sox/Yankees where one team beat the hell out of the other for 86 years.

Edman
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
That was fun to read. What's Ben's record against the Ravens?

As a starter?

6-2.

Lost twice in 2006.
Made his debut thanks to the Maddox injury in 2004, that doesn't technically count.
Beat them in 2004 in Pittsburgh.
Beat them in Pittsnurgh again in 2005.
Didn't play in the OT loss in 2005.
Embarrassed them on MNF 2007.
Didn't play in the 2007 finale. (We lost that one)
Beat them all three times in 2008.

Lambertfan
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
To beat us they have to play us!!! They want to play play but their rules..no national televised games..waaa we don't want to play them at our house with a national auduince...TheSteelers will play you cliff clavins in the streets where you want to play...Silly ravins football is for MEN!!!

steelballs
08-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I recall a few years ago... Brian Billick saying that he was constantly approached by fans at training camp and told that no matter what the team does...just beat the Steelers.
I always thought this was funny, but this seems to be the Ravens mantra ever since.
The Ravens (and fans) seem to base the success or failure of any particular season on the result of the Steeler / Raven games.

ANDYMISIU
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
They should try and figure out who's going to play WR for them this year? and why it is that Troy Smith has looked better then Flacco in camp thus far.

mmalone
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
They should try and figure out who's going to play WR for them this year? and why it is that Troy Smith has looked better then Flacco in camp thus far.

and whos kicikng the game tying or winning field goals... mr magic is gone

Dino 6 Rings
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
And who is lead blocking exactly now that Neal is off the roster?

Steve_39
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
This is what happens when you defeat a team 3 times in one season...not only do they start to obsess over you, they also start doubting whether they CAN beat you, and at that point you've already beaten them.

Look at the Browns. We've completely broken their will...they CAN'T beat us now...

Completely agree :chuckle:

It's nice to have that psychological advantage, huh? :tt02:

Ravnet
08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
And who is lead blocking exactly now that Neal is off the roster?

The Ravens chose not to resign Neal, and instead gave the spot back to Le'Ron McClain.

I'm not sure I agree with the move, but you can now have one of Rice/McGahee AND McClain on the field.

stlrtruck
08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
The Ravens chose not to resign Neal, and instead gave the spot back to Le'Ron McClain.

I'm not sure I agree with the move, but you can now have one of Rice/McGahee AND McClain on the field.

The way McClain was running at the end of last year, that's not neccesarily a bad option either. Neal was old and was a hit in the pocket book when it seems McClain isn't going to be much of a drop off if any.