PDA

View Full Version : isaac redman....a sweet dude

onefortheotherhand
08-13-2009, 10:47 PM
wow i thought he was gary russell at first..but oh man i was proven wrong

i already love the kid:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM
He looks good, I want to see him do that against better competition though. I like how his feet keep moving like The Bus' did. He may end up being very good for us, I sure hope so!

fansince'76
08-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I like the way he keeps his legs pumping when he gets stood up and he seems pretty good about falling forward.

The Definiti0n
08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
It's still early but he did look good tonight. I wish we would have gotten to see a little more of Mendenhall and Summers.

Preacher
08-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I think he will be used in the 2nd team next week. If he continues to put the ball in the endzone, then maybe in the third game, he'll be tried in the first quarter.

He sure has earned a shot to run with the second team... least in goal line situations.

Fire Haley
08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Goodbye Frank - Hello Issac

onefortheotherhand
08-13-2009, 11:36 PM

yuppp :thumbsup:

BehindSteelCurtain
08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Summers didn't get much action

Preacher
08-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Way to early for that.

ricksteelers55
08-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Funny how we quickly put some hype on players that ''look'' promising.We already compare them to JB.The guy has 2 TD against 3rd stringers.

Ill probably get smash for that but remember Gary Russell ? When people used to say he was a bruiser cause he converted a couple of 3rd downs?

Then we drafted Frank Summers,everyone were all sold on him,but now we're all after Redman.

I saw Redman run tonight and wasnt that impress about his running.In fact I dont think he was really better than Justin Vincent.

The guy ran well in goal line formation but again,it was against 3rd stringers and I also want to give credit to the blocking.

We will see in the long run who stays and who doesnt make the cut

Go Steelers

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Also, if you were watching closely, the reason why Redman did so well was because #44 opened up some holes for him (hmm...who is #44?)....#38 is not very good at that.

7SteelGal43
08-14-2009, 12:02 AM
wow i thought he was gary russell at first..but oh man i was proven wrong

i already love the kid:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

ME TOO :tt03:

Hotrodder07
08-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah, he looked good. It's one game though, and he played against 3rd stringers, so lets not get ahead of ourselves. I was hoping to see more of Frank the Tank at the HB position, personally. He did do a good job at the FB position, though, from what I can tell.

SteelersTilIDie
08-14-2009, 12:09 AM

amen

7SteelGal43
08-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Way to early for that.

Are you accusing Killer of "premature appreciation" ? :banana:

LVSteelersfan
08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Summers got like 2 runs in all night. He made one heck of a tackle on special teams. I wouldn't count him out yet. Redman looked ok but like everyone said, it was against third stringers on a team not really known for defense. Not a good gauge by any stretch. I also think Vincent looked better.

Fire Haley
08-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Are you accusing Killer of "premature appreciation" ? :banana:

I just callem like I seeum...unlike the pom-pom wavers who fall in love with the first fatback they see.

OneForTheToe
08-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Funny how we quickly put some hype on players that ''look'' promising.We already compare them to JB.The guy has 2 TD against 3rd stringers.

Ill probably get smash for that but remember Gary Russell ? When people used to say he was a bruiser cause he converted a couple of 3rd downs?

Then we drafted Frank Summers,everyone were all sold on him,but now we're all after Redman.

I saw Redman run tonight and wasnt that impress about his running.In fact I dont think he was really better than Justin Vincent.

The guy ran well in goal line formation but again,it was against 3rd stringers and I also want to give credit to the blocking.

Go Steelers

I agree with this. However, tonight's game play from Redman and Summers does seem to back up what I've been hearing from cap.

ricksteelers55
08-14-2009, 01:24 AM
I agree with this. However, tonight's game play from Redman and Summers does seem to back up what I've been hearing from cap.

Yeah I know,and make no mistake about it I also want to see our short yardage situation solve this year,but I think some fans might be a little bit too excited right now we have to wait and see

unlvrebelx
08-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm glad somebody mentioned this...but Frank Summers did as much to create both of Redman's touchdowns as Redman did....on both TDs, Frank put a nice block on the end.

From what I saw, both Summers and Redman played a very good game. Summers played a lot of special teams too, and had a good tackle, and stuffed up the middle on the kickoffs well.

I know everybody is convinced its either Redman or Summers, but IMO Ithink they both have a shot mainly because Redman looks great at short yardage, and Summers looks like he can play 2 or 3 positions and excel at special teams. You usually don't pass on a guy like Summers, and if Redman keeps producing, you've got to give him a shot as well.

All that said, like the wise posters you read here, bringing many back to earth, its a tad early to to know anything......I'll say this though, Summers was on the field early and often on special teams with 1st and 2nd teamers....hard to think he's not impressing the coaches in some aspects of his game. Everybody's looking for the homerun hitter at running back, but I'm not sure that's the only reason the Steelers' coaches like Summers.....

ricksteelers55
08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm glad somebody mentioned this...but Frank Summers did as much to create both of Redman's touchdowns as Redman did....on both TDs, Frank put a nice block on the end.

From what I saw, both Summers and Redman played a very good game. Summers played a lot of special teams too, and had a good tackle, and stuffed up the middle on the kickoffs well.

I know everybody is convinced its either Redman or Summers, but IMO Ithink they both have a shot mainly because Redman looks great at short yardage, and Summers looks like he can play 2 or 3 positions and excel at special teams. You usually don't pass on a guy like Summers, and if Redman keeps producing, you've got to give him a shot as well.

All that said, like the wise posters you read here, bringing many back to earth, its a tad early to to know anything......I'll say this though, Summers was on the field early and often on special teams with 1st and 2nd teamers....hard to think he's not impressing the coaches in some aspects of his game. Everybody's looking for the homerun hitter at running back, but I'm not sure that's the only reason the Steelers' coaches like Summers.....

Honestly I think that Redman will have to do a lot to make the team.Yeah he can block but so can Summers.

I dont think the Steelers will keep Redman over Summers just because he is better in short yardage.He will have to do more than that.

They already have Parker,Moore and Mendenhall set at RB so I think they will probably keep 2 between Davis,Summers and Redman(4 RB + 1 FB)

Tomlin loves versatility and he gets plenty of that with Summers.Summers can play FB and RB,can block,play in ST and got lot of playing time tonight even though he didnt carry the ball that much.

Redman doesnt look like a power runner to me,he does some spin sometimes after the 1st hit and there was a run where he ended up going out of bounds instead of taking the hit.

Again,only time will tell but man would I love the Steelers to strike a deal with the Raiders and grab RB Michael Bush.....still cant believe we took Spaeth instead of him,we would have our guy right now

O Sensei
08-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Dude looked good and ran hard at times, but you can't really know what you have til they go against first teamer defenses. You look at Mendenhall and you just know he's loaded with potential....if only he had a little more bite to him........I hate to say it but Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, the kid from WVU, Forte, the one that I went into the draft wanting and Ray Rice are lookin' way better than Mendenhall. Just sayin'. It speaks volumes that we've got a first round pick healthy and ready and all we're talkin' about is a late round fatback and a URFA. Cripes I hope FWP stays healthy.

MDSteel15
08-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Again,only time will tell but man would I love the Steelers to strike a deal with the Raiders and grab RB Michael Bush.....still cant believe we took Spaeth instead of him,we would have our guy right now

GOD THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

OneForTheToe
08-14-2009, 02:51 AM

Al..

I'm not sure that the Steelers would keep two rookie backs. Although, having McHugh means that Summers could technically be a backup full back.

So maybe Willie, Mendy, Mewelde, Franky and Isaacy, with Seany in the mix.

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 04:11 AM

Go Steelers

yeah no doubt...i think people are gettin WAAAAY to excited over nothing. practice squad is the ONLY place he could end up unless he proves to be a better fullback and special teams player than davis and summers. you'd think the guy was consistently ripping off ten yard gains all day by the way some of you are acting. the guy had 10 CARRIES FOR 32 YARDS !!! B-F-D !!! 1 OF THEM WAS FOR 13 YARDS SO HE HAD 19 YARDS ON THE OTHER 9 CARRIES ..had he been in the first string lineup, he'd have been getting dropped behind the line just like mendenhall was .

Preacher
08-14-2009, 04:56 AM
yeah no doubt...i think people are gettin WAAAAY to excited over nothing. practice squad is the ONLY place he could end up unless he proves to be a better fullback and special teams player than davis and summers. you'd think the guy was consistently ripping off ten yard gains all day by the way some of you are acting. the guy had 10 CARRIES FOR 32 YARDS !!! B-F-D !!! 1 OF THEM WAS FOR 13 YARDS SO HE HAD 19 YARDS ON THE OTHER 9 CARRIES ..had he been in the first string lineup, he'd have been getting dropped behind the line just like mendenhall was .
:laughing:

I agree, WAY too excited.

Redman and Vincent both seem like they deserve a shot at playing in the 2nd string next game. Vincent as an everydown powerback and Redman as a short yardage back against second stringers. The Tank should also move up and play there too.

THEN... if they do JUST AS WELL, I would like to see them play against the first string. Stick the tank in there blocking for Mendy or Willie. Let Redman come in for short yardage runs... or vincent.

But right now, all we saw was a very fancy scrimmage game. You do NOT make decisions based on 1 fance scrimmage game.

FSUBoo
08-14-2009, 05:10 AM
People assume just because Michael Bush is big and runs hard SOMETIMES that he would be great for us. He isn't totally a power back, and more often than not looks like an athletic back who runs with SOME power. Most people fail to remember that he was a QB in HS, and was used alot as a reciever out of the backfield at Louisville.

I say that we trust coach Tomlin's judgement about picking players in the draft and not try to be GMs/coaches. Remember, Tomlin's drafts have proven to be very good so far, and he has accomplished alot as a coach, so lets not get too ahead of ourselves in second guessing the coach who is probably the best young coach in the NFL in a long time.

Someone mentioned Felix Jones, Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson, and Matt Forte all looking better than Mendenhall so far. Slaton and Forte both play on teams with no other decent running backs on them, so they were given opportunities to start early and get alot of playing time. Johnson and Jones are both change of pace guys, and you see that Lendale White and Marion Barber do alot of the dirty, gritty work for the Titans and Cowboys respectively. I'm personally still not convinced that they are both good enough/strong enough to hold up as a feature back in this league. I think Mendenhall is still getting over the jitters and getting a feel for the pro game. He still hasn't started to slam himself up in there like he should, but the longer he's on the field, the more he will do so. Just give him a little time to get used to the speed and physicality of the NFL. In terms of on field speed, physicality, and experience, Mendenhall is still in essence a rookie. You could call this is 9th - 10th NFL game cause he played the preseason last year, and was hurt in game 4 or 5 (cant remember and I'm too tired to look up the exact date lol). So think about this, he hasn't even had a full 16 games to adjust to the pro game. Some running backs take longer than others to show their worth.

I think the drafting of Summers had more to do with his versatility and usefulness as a player overall than just his ability as a power runner. I think that it's nice that Redman got 2 TDs in the first preseason game, but there is a reason he was an undrafted player. I know that our team is one of the best examples that undrafted players can make it with FWP and Silverback, but how many UFAs are signed every summer to contracts, only to be cut by training camp/the season. Lets see what he can do some more against better competition before we go crowning him the next anything.

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 05:16 AM
personally i didn't see anything from ANY of them to get too excited about

I. Redman .................... .. 10 -32
J. Vincent ..........................9 - 26
R. Mendenhall..................9 - 24
F. Summers .....................2 - 3
C. Davis ............................1 - 2

i think arians seriously needs to rethink his blocking schemes, because either ..A - it really sucks..or B - it doesn't play to the strengths of the personel ..... i mean we got a bunch of guys that were labeled " maulers " , or " road graders " , but i sure as hell don't see any mauling or road grading being done by them , especially as a unit.... of course its way to soon to judge, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and predict , same sh*t, different season.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
08-14-2009, 05:27 AM
same sh*t, different season.

That's a really scary thought :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 05:37 AM
That's a really scary thought :doh:

well i think they will be improved, mostly because of the D's they'll be facing, but i don't look for anything resembling a power running game. i doubt they'll get any higher than 15th in rushing. ... the first few minute kinda reminded me of last year.... 1st down..1 yd lose...3rd down...willie colon penalty.....:laughing:

Galax Steeler
08-14-2009, 07:02 AM
personally i didn't see anything from ANY of them to get too excited about

I. Redman .................... .. 10 -32
J. Vincent ..........................9 - 26
R. Mendenhall..................9 - 24
F. Summers .....................2 - 3
C. Davis ............................1 - 2

i think arians seriously needs to rethink his blocking schemes, because either ..A - it really sucks..or B - it doesn't play to the strengths of the personel ..... i mean we got a bunch of guys that were labeled " maulers " , or " road graders " , but i sure as hell don't see any mauling or road grading being done by them , especially as a unit.... of course its way to soon to judge, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and predict , same sh*t, different season.

The one thing you should look at is that Mendenhall played against the starting line up. Agree that it is not very good numbers but he averaged almost three yards a carry. I think that he will only get better.

Fire Haley
08-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Stats are for losers.

Mendenhall looked alright running the ball - he made some decent runs ramming it up the middle behind a second string line.

Texasteel
08-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Thats what I was thinking. Last night Summers job became much more difficult.

mmalone
08-14-2009, 07:40 AM

frank made two huge blocks for both redman touchdowns, had a kickoff tackle, had a nice stuff on another kickoff. never really had a chance to run the ball . other than a burn out the clock two plays.

vincent was lost on special teams.. ran ok. no great blocks.

i still say redman and summers stay .

vincent, carey, mchugh are gone.

we have mendy, moore and parker.

stlrtruck
08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Could Redman be our next Kuhn?

(I'm just saying :stirthepot:)

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Go Steelers

ricksteeler55 .... you are way off here man!

Every once in a while a player comes around that has that certain something. You must have missed the threads yesterday talking about Redman before the game was played last night.

Redman has that certain something ...

This is what he has ...

Redman has incredible lateral movement and sudden explosion both vertically and (incredibly rarely) horizontally. He is tough to tackle because he does a great job making his strong legs into a wide base at the point of impact, all the time sliding away from the tackler.

Redman reminds me of Fred Taylor in his lateral explosiveness, strong leg drive, and balanced glide off of tacklers.

Redman is BIG ... 235 lbs ... just like Fred Taylor.

Redman did a fine job lowering his pad level last night and driving for a few extra tough yards on every carry.

He's serious Steelers material.

Steelers fans keep clamoring for the next Bettis. :mad: How about the next Fred Taylor? :thumbsup:

I will go out on a limb here and say this .... Redman will soon beat out Mendenhall as the Steelers feature RB once Willie Parker moves on.

Mendenhall does not have what I just described regarding Redman.

You heard it here first!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jixyYRkaC-k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jixyYRkaC-k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ca1KRR62vvo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ca1KRR62vvo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9G9_67P67zk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9G9_67P67zk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fire Haley
08-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Pimp that ride!

KeiselPower99
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
They say a roster spot cant be won on 1 game. Look at Gary Russell and Carey Davis as examples thats not the case. Summers had a nice ST tackle early and was used as a FB the majority of the time he played. Redman really showed up to play and is gonna make things interesting for the next few weeks.

srk173
08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Frank was used primarily as a fullback last night and laid some crushing blocks on the touchdown runs. bye bye carey is what should be said.

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Goodbye Davis - Hello Issac

Fixed for accuracy.

Or at least, that's what I'd be happier to see.

I got home a little late, so I didn't get to see what Mendenhall did, but it looked like we spent most of the game trying out all the newcomers at slamming the ball up the middle. That would go a long way toward explaining everyone's low yardage, too. Since that was one of the main things we needed to address, it makes sense.

Redman was definitely the best out of the bunch at that. I know it was only against rookies and backups, but he had the right idea -- keep driving forward instead of dancing around and trying to be cute. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up against real competition.

Didn't get a real read on Summers, but it didn't look like he stunk up the joint at FB. So I hope we keep him over Davis, because everything else being equal, Summers at least has potential, whereas Davis has none.

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I will go out on a limb here and say this .... Redman will soon beat out Mendenhall as the Steelers feature RB once Willie Parker moves on.

No, he won't. He's going to be a situational back, period. And that's IF he makes the team.

Really, ONE game, against a bunch of curtain jerkers, and all of a sudden he's the next Fred Taylor? Really???

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
No, he won't. He's going to be a situational back, period. And that's IF he makes the team.

Really, ONE game, against a bunch of curtain jerkers, and all of a sudden he's the next Fred Taylor? Really???

I have to agree with you here Terminator! it's almost funny to be jocking someone so hard because of a Goal line drill and ONE preseason game. :rofl:

onefortheotherhand
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
i dunno about all this next fred taylor shtuff but the kid showed some talent tonight and hopefully he come out and play consistanly for 60 minutes

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I have to agree with you here Terminator! it's almost funny to be jocking someone so hard because of a Goal line drill and ONE preseason game. :rofl:

:blah:

Call me a silly optimist.

I'll call myself the same if I'm wrong.

But I'm not.

It's less about what he HAS DONE so far and more about what he HAS period!

This kid has a very gifted running style that is at a level or two higher than what Mendenhall has.

I'm sorry you haven't taken the time to dive into it as much as I have the past few days.

I took the extra hour to watch his college work.

I paid close attention to how he broke tackles ... to how he slides away from impact ... to how he has a sudden change of direction that only the great ones have ... to how he lowers the boom in a crowd and forces out 3 or 4 extra yards.

He may not have played against high caliber players, but he also didn't have high calibre offensive linemen in front of him. He did most of it on his own!

It would be the same here ... most of it on his own! ... because our O-line sucks!

Mendenhall doesn't have those things!

Mendenhall is a ball of steam barrelling into the first tackler and ... boom! ... to the turf!

No change of direction! ... no gliding off the initial impact! ... no vision!

It's way early and I just felt like being bold way ahead of the rest of you!

I don't ride bandwagons.

I see them coming and point them out!

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 02:02 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKeIQZ3w5sc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKeIQZ3w5sc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Found this on youtube just now. Redman's two touchdowns, enjoy.

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 02:11 PM

But I'm not.

This kid has a very gifted running style that is at a level or two higher than what Mendenhall has.

I'm sorry you haven't taken the time to dive into it as much as I have the past few days.

I paid close attention to how he broke tackles ... to how he slides away from impact ... to how he has a sudden change of direction that only the great ones have ... to how he lowers the boom in a crowd and forces out 3 or 4 extra yards.

He may not have played against high caliber players, but he also didn't have high calibre offensive linemen in front of him. He did most of it on his own!

It would be the same here ... most of it on his own! ... because our O-line sucks!

Mendenhall is a ball of steam barrelling into the first tackler and ... boom! ... to the turf!

I don't ride bandwagons.

It's too early my man, too early. Have you watched Mendenhalls college highligts? he destroyed people! come on! No change of direction? no gliding off impact? no vision? here, let me remind you:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7OiYXlBEZU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7OiYXlBEZU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM

But I'm not.

I don't ride bandwagons.

You don't ride bandwagons, but yet you've jumped almost head-first onto Redman's bandwagon, and based on what? 2 series against guys who will be working at Wal-Mart by the end of next week? Sorry, but I need to see more. That isn't enough for me to start touting him as the next special back, and certainly not to say that he's going to end up beating out Mendenhall for the starting job next year. That is just ridiculous overhyping of who could very well end up being a "training camp All-Star." Or the next John Kuhn.

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
It's too early my man, too early. Have you watched Mendenhalls college highligts? he destroyed people! come on! No change of direction? no gliding off impact? no vision? here, let me remind you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7OiYXlBEZU

First of all sense I see you messed up your embed, lol. You just put the code in between the Youtube tags. Simple as that. But seeing as how you just reverted to a link its not a big deal.

As far as Mendy goes, the O-line wasn't doing to swift. So Im not gonna burn him for not doing a whole lot out there. Not a lot to work with when he was on the field. Things only went that smoothly for Redman because he was dealing with 3rd stringers. Put him in Mendy's position and you'd likely see the same thing.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Frank was used primarily as a fullback last night and laid some crushing blocks on the touchdown runs. bye bye carey is what should be said.

yeah i kind of agree with that. He sucked last night at HB but he did some good things at FB. That's what i wanted to see from him, not a bunch of carries. I dont know why so many anticipated him as just a powerback.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I dont know why so many anticipated him as just a powerback.

... because Steelers fans are so hell bent on finding the next Jerome Bettis that anything resembles "big" in size is "the second coming". :doh:

I wish everyone would just get over Bettis already.

Hell, he sucked for 2 straight years so bad he was beat out by freaking Zereoue!

I'm happy with the next Fred Taylor! :popcorn:

ricksteelers55
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Until he proves that he can play against real opposition he wont be anything else than hype for me.

Summers was clearly the main reason for the 2 TD's.

I say the FB job is between Summers and Davis(I want to see Summers against 1st team defense)

for Redman,he will have to do more than that to convince me.

2nd Division NCAA Football highlights and 2 TD's against 3rd stringers as well as 2 TDs in goal line drill against 2nd and 3rd stringers is not enough for me to jump on his bandwagon just yet.

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 05:09 PM
What? how did Summers do such a great job? sure, he had a decent block that allowed Redman to score on the first play. It wasn't a bone crushing block, he kinda got stonewalled, but he did get a nice block there. On the second TD, he just looked stupid :) like a fish out of water. WTF was he doing. He dove at the guy and got pushed aside, but he did get in the way. I think we need to relax on all of these guys.

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 05:37 PM
... because Steelers fans are so hell bent on finding the next Jerome Bettis that anything resembles "big" in size is "the second coming". :doh:

No, that's not it at all. Steelers fans are just sick of Parker up the middle for no gain. We don't need another Jerome Bettis, just an average power runner to keep the defense honest. A stocky guy who's hard to bring down; that's all. Is that really too much to ask?

Really, just because some of us wish the Steelers could fill an obvious hole in their game plan, it doesn't mean we think every Bozo who weighs over 220 pounds is a future Hall of Famer. We just wish we didn't suck so badly at the power running game.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:47 PM
No, that's not it at all. Steelers fans are just sick of Parker up the middle for no gain. We don't need another Jerome Bettis, just an average power runner to keep the defense honest. A stocky guy who's hard to bring down; that's all. Is that really too much to ask?

Really, just because some of us wish the Steelers could fill an obvious hole in their game plan, it doesn't mean we think every Bozo who weighs over 220 pounds is a future Hall of Famer. We just wish we didn't suck so badly at the power running game.

Yeah, but funny thing though... When our O line was better, Willie was also much better through the middle.

Neither Jerome Bettis, nor Franco Harris, nor Jim Brown could run up the middle with last year's line. You actually need a hole to run through... and they weren't being created last year.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I think...Arians and Tomlin were giving Summers an opportunity do play fullback last night to see if he can adjust to that role.

They know, already, that he isn't making the roster as a HB, they want him to make the roster as the FB, if anyone is in trouble its Davis.

How do we know that Mendy wouldn't have scored on those two goal line plays? We don't. So I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Paker Moore Mendy are on the Roster. at HB, Vincent, Redman and Logan are fighting for the last spot.

Summers is fighting to take over Corey Davis's spot which shouldn't be too hard since McHugh will still be on the roster for the "motion" into Fullback blocking plays.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM

Thank you...why would we dump Summers for Redmond? Frank looks like he can block and God knows we need a true blocking FB.

I'd say goodbye Carey Davis, hello Frank Summers and can we keep Parker, Mendy, Moore AND Redmond as backs? We'd have 6 guys on the roster at FB/RB with McHugh listed as TE who can play FB.

4n2t0
08-14-2009, 06:57 PM

I wish everyone would just get over Bettis already.

Hell, he sucked for 2 straight years so bad he was beat out by freaking Zereoue!

I'm happy with the next Fred Taylor! :popcorn:

Wow, that sum up my response to this verbal diarrhoea.

In general, Redman looked good but it's clearly too early to be casting off players like Frank Summers. As previously mentioned Frank did a nice job opening holes last night. We already have a crowded backfield situation, no need to keep hoping for a dark horse. We'll run if the offensive line can open holes and if Arians can stop calling bad games (Just my opinion, sorry I don't like Arians as OC).

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, but funny thing though... When our O line was better, Willie was also much better through the middle.

Neither Jerome Bettis, nor Franco Harris, nor Jim Brown could run up the middle with last year's line. You actually need a hole to run through... and they weren't being created last year.

Willie has never been good up the middle. When we had three Pro Bowlers on our offensive line, he was still one-dimensional.

And I bet you Bettis or any other decent power back could've run up the middle for us last year. Just having an average power option that opponents had to respect would have opened up more possibilities. Instead, defenses could guess what we were about to do 90% of the time and tee off on us.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow - I thought Parker would at least need to take a few snaps before the "Willie sucks" stuff started up again. Guess not.

Texasteel
08-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow - I thought Parker would at least need to take a few snaps before the "Willie sucks" stuff started up again. Guess not.

Are you kidding, so far after 1 preseason game I have heard Parker sucks, Mendenhall sucks, Arians sucks, and Redman is the future of our team.:coffee:

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
(Holding up middle finger) "Willie sucks! Play some Skynard, maaaaaaaan!"

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 07:54 PM

What, you still don't get who this works? A slight breeze is enough to remind me Parker sucks.

Where was he yesterday, anyway? Oh, that's right -- hurt again. A real promising start toward shaking off all those nagging injuries.

Only thing we need more than a back who's bad at running up the middle, is a back who's bad at running up the middle AND misses half the games.

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Im surprised I havent heard fire Big Ben, Dixon is the future! I mean afterall someone compared him to Tom Brady on here yesterday. And the way ESPN gags on his Woodson, I could have swore that was an improvement over Sir Sackedalot. :chuckle:

Preacher
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Willie has never been good up the middle. When we had three Pro Bowlers on our offensive line, he was still one-dimensional.

And I bet you Bettis or any other decent power back could've run up the middle for us last year. Just having an average power option that opponents had to respect would have opened up more possibilities. Instead, defenses could guess what we were about to do 90% of the time and tee off on us.

Sorry, but that is a case of dislike overcoming reality.

Go back and watch all the games. Will busts up through the tackles... THEN, when facing down a LB, cuts outside for extra room. THAT is a run up the middle, and willie was pretty dang good at it.

Matter of fact, there were a few times where Willie made runs up the middle that there was NO WAY Jerome could have made. Specifically because the hole was closing up, and Willie was able to get to the hole, turn sideways, and squeeze through it. Jerome would have been stuffed behind the LOS.

Once again, I think you are scapegoating willie for the OL woes.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Parker is an outstanding RB ... one of the best in the NFL .... when he is healthy. He wasn't healthy much last year.

Parker clearly is the starter in this offense.

We need RB depth with players who can get it done.

Mendenhall hasn't had a real fair shot yet.

Other than his #1 draft pick billing, Mendenhall has leaps and bounds more to prove before he is a graduate NFL player.

That makes Redman just about on the same playing field as Mendenhall right now ... doesn't it?

Preacher
08-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Parker is an outstanding RB ... one of the best in the NFL .... when he is healthy. He wasn't healthy much last year.

Other than his #1 draft pick billing, Mendenhall has leaps and bounds more to prove before he is a graduate NFL player.

That makes Redman just about on the same playing field as Mendenhall right now ... doesn't it?

:rofl: Not at all.

I guess you really don't understand the difference between 1st string and 3rd string.

A guy can look great against 3rd stringers, even second stringers... but the second he moves up, he may get crushed. Or doesn't anyone remember Zamir Cobb?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_333073.html

Sure he broke his leg a year before.;... but against better comp. in camp, he just couldn't get it done.

Until Redman plays against first string players, there IS NO COMPARISON between him and Mendy.

O Sensei
08-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I agree...preach on preacher man. Mendenhall was total class against big10 competition. He's gotta be aware that we are looking at him as the next back in this franchises history. Redman will need to play against starters....and succeed mightily for this franchise to overlook first round money and first round talent. the Rooneys have invested alot in mendenhall and he will be given EVERY opportunity to succeed. Remember...parker wasn't exactly Barry Sanders right outta the box and yet they groomed him, brought him along. Mendenhall was top five rated outta school while redman was in the hundreds....thats gotta mean something....everyone...everyone.....can't be that wrong. :salute:

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Mendenhall was top five rated outta school while redman was in the hundreds....thats gotta mean something....everyone...everyone.....can't be that wrong. :salute:

Mendenhall's ranking may have been very accurate. But it was just a ranking ...

Drafted later than Mendenhall:

Matt Forte .... Round 2 - 44th
Steve Slaton ... Round 3 - 89th
Tim Hightower ... Round 5 - 149th

Mendenhall may prove never to be as good as those RB's!

It's Redman's ranking that may have been greatly misconstrued. Going undrafted and under the radar happens to alot of good players, especially Division II players. Every year in the NFL there is undrafted talent that lands and makes an impact for this team or that team.

The Steelers are better at sniffing out that talent than most franchises.

I have a major league gut hunch about this guy. He has some serious game presence.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I think...Arians and Tomlin were giving Summers an opportunity do play fullback last night to see if he can adjust to that role.

They know, already, that he isn't making the roster as a HB, they want him to make the roster as the FB, if anyone is in trouble its Davis.

How do we know that Mendy wouldn't have scored on those two goal line plays? We don't. So I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Paker Moore Mendy are on the Roster. at HB, Vincent, Redman and Logan are fighting for the last spot.

Summers is fighting to take over Corey Davis's spot which shouldn't be too hard since McHugh will still be on the roster for the "motion" into Fullback blocking plays.

Um, wasnt he anticipated to be a FB in the NFL in the first place? I might be wrong but i think a lot of people forgot that.

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Um, wasnt he anticipated to be a FB in the NFL in the first place? I might be wrong but i think a lot of people forgot that.

I know right, I could have swore thats what Tomlin told everyone on NFL Network right after we drafted Summers that he was gonna be used as a FB.

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Mendenhall's ranking may have been very accurate. But it was just a ranking ...

Drafted later than Mendenhall:

Matt Forte .... Round 2 - 44th
Steve Slaton ... Round 3 - 89th
Tim Hightower ... Round 5 - 149th

Mendenhall may prove never to be as good as those RB's!

It's Redman's ranking that may have been greatly misconstrued. Going undrafted and under the radar happens to alot of good players, especially Division II players. Every year in the NFL there is undrafted talent that lands and makes an impact for this team or that team.

The Steelers are better at sniffing out that talent than most franchises.

I have a major league gut hunch about this guy. He has some serious game presence.

Yeah, all 3 of those guys have one thing that Mendenhall doesn't - a full season under their belts. And both Forte and Slaton were in situations where they were the best backs on the team, and thus were given the starting jobs. Hightower eventually worked his way there. The Steelers had big plans for Mendenhall last season and they were planning on eventually rotating him with Parker by season's end, but he ran into Ray Lewis' shoulder, and that was that.

Redman is a camp phenom, and that's that. I expect him to be cut after next Saturday's game. He is NOT sticking with the Steelers.

tony hipchest
08-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Im surprised I havent heard fire Big Ben, Dixon is the future! I mean afterall someone compared him to Tom Brady on here yesterday.:chuckle:

that would be me! :irock:

he will be either the next joe montana because of his birdlegs, the next tom brady because of his 5th round draft status, or the next pat white because of his incredible "wild cat" capabilities.

(personally i cant see why anyone would want to remove ben, hines, parker, or miller off the field in favor of an atheletic 3rd string qb not named kordell.

wildcat is so yesteryear for us, plus we have hines ward and typically run our gimick plays out of base package or 3 wr set.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Redman is a camp phenom, and that's that. I expect him to be cut after next Saturday's game. He is NOT sticking with the Steelers.

Man some of you guys are stubborn as hell. :chuckle:

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy my popcorn as this story unfolds .... :popcorn:

Furthermore ... if Mendenhall was smart (or a good runner) he wouldn't have let Ray Lewis break him up like that. Then he would have had a full season under his belt. Just sayin'

tony hipchest
08-15-2009, 12:13 AM

That makes Redman just about on the same playing field as Mendenhall right now ... doesn't it?can you guarantee to us redman isnt a mental midget retard who wont get ben sacked on every passing down where he has to stay in to protect?

gary russell had some skills to but wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed.

appearantly isaac isnt either.

i am sure he has been spoon fed the goal line package portion of the playbook, and thats about it.

how much of THE REST of the playbook does he know?

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 12:16 AM
can you guarantee to us redman isnt a mental midget retard who wont get ben sacked on every passing down where he has to stay in to protect?

gary russell had some skills to but wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed.

appearantly isaac isnt either.

i am sure he has been spoon fed the goal line package portion of the playbook, and thats about it.

I can't guarantee anything. It's all up to Redman.

I'm just a Steelers fan with an eye for certain talent.

BTW, Russell had a very nice outing the other night too! And even Russell has done more as a pro than Mendenhall at this point. Why, he even has a Super Bowl rushing TD!

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I can't guarantee anything. It's all up to Redman.

I'm just a Steelers fan with an eye for certain talent.

BTW, Russell had a very nice outing the other night too! And even Russell has done more as a pro than Mendenhall at this point. Why, he even has a Super Bowl rushing TD!

The thing is, Gary Russell looked as good pushing the pile against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers last preseason as well. And not surpringly, the same kind of things were said about him back then as you guys are saying about Redman now. And what did Gary Russell end up doing for us?

And someone is actually suggesting that we replace Mendenhall with Isaac Redman? Are you friggin serious? Please, please, please tell me you just started watching football this season....

Justin VIncent had the best numbers last night, and that at least was against 2nd stringers and some starters. Redman looked good admittedly, but as has been stated umpteen times already-- that was against 3rd and 4th string guys! Two goal-line TDs against scrubs and we are gonna replace a 1st round pick with that? Are you serious?

On one of Redman's TD's, it was clearly obvious the defenders were grabastic, disorganized 4th stringers, and Summers opened such a huge hole off RT for Redman, all he had to do was pretty much walk across the goalline....

Lets give the preseason a few more weeks before we start making bold pronouncements about replacing 1st round picks with undrafted rookie scrubs....

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
The thing is, Gary Russell looked as good pushing the pile against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers last preseason as well. And not surpringly, the same kind of things were said about him back then as you guys are saying about Redman now. And what did Gary Russell end up doing for us?

And someone is actually suggesting that we replace Mendenhall with Isaac Redman? Are you friggin serious? Please, please, please tell me you just started watching football this season....

Justin VIncent had the best numbers last night, and that at least was against 2nd stringers and some starters. Redman looked good admittedly, but as has been stated umpteen times already-- that was against 3rd and 4th string guys! Two goal-line TDs against scrubs and we are gonna replace a 1st round pick with that? Are you serious?

On one of Redman's TD's, it was clearly obvious the defenders were grabastic, disorganized 4th stringers, and Summers opened such a huge hole off RT for Redman, all he had to do was pretty much walk across the goalline....

Lets give the preseason a few more weeks before we start making bold pronouncements about replacing 1st round picks with undrafted rookie scrubs....

This post is pathetic!

You talk about Redman going against scrubs. :laughing: How did our "scrubs" do last night buddy? .... no seriously! ... how did our "scrubs" do? Did they bring it? :mad:

I didn't see any Cardinal "scrub" RB's busting two red zone TD's last night against our "scrubs"!

You talk about how Gary Russell looked good last year in pre-season against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers! I don't recall anybody talking about Russell's lateral acceleration, his ability to widen at the base and glide off would be tacklers, his suddeness to the gap, or his ability to run through tackles. Sure Russell looked good. But he sure ain't got what Redman's got! And nobody proclaimed it either!

How the hell did Justin Vincent have the best numbers last night? Explain that one to me!

You make a asinine statement that I just started watching football this season. Stick it up you as$ man! I've been a Steelers fan for 38 years! I've seen every gaddamn RB they've trotted out there since Franco Harris. And Redman has more skills than all but a select few of them!

Watch the gaddamn video clip of those TD's last night! Watch what that guy did with his legs! Watch how he broke a tackle with ease. Watch his intensity! Then watch his body of work from college, which was posted on here yesterday .... BEFORE his debut last night!

And I never said Mendenhall was getting replaced! What I said is that Mendenhall is going to get beat out .... NEXT YEAR!

WTF! Read what people say before you spew this crap!

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 01:08 AM

In fairness tony, he's been through the OTA's and he's been in camp all along. He's very likely right now exactly where Mendenhall was at this time last year.

onefortheotherhand
08-15-2009, 01:28 AM
props to lakelander

tony hipchest
08-15-2009, 01:29 AM
In fairness tony, he's been through the OTA's and he's been in camp all along. He's very likely right now exactly where Mendenhall was at this time last year.well to be fair, last year mendenall was a rookie 1st round draft pick, in part, because he had an ounce of brains to go along with his physical attributes.

the likes of russell and redman, were picked up off the street because they couldnt even maintain grades to make them eligible to fully start for their college team. physical talents aside, they showed the mental aptitude of a box of rocks.

that will get ben killed.

the not so bright emmit smith's (1st rnd) are rare. the willie parkers (UDFA) are even rarer.

redman and russell skill sets are below what maurice clarett and lawrence phillips showed (they are probably just a bit smarter being that the steelers gave them a look).

hell, michael vick was called the next michael jordan as far as his talent and being able to dominate his sport was concerned.

HUGE difference between having brains AND talent as opposed to just talent alone.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 01:37 AM
I won't assume those things myself Tony. I never met the guy. But hey, feel free to punk the guy before he gets his first TV interview :laughing:

I'm no Rhodes Scholar either ... I was a C student in HS and college. But I'm still a successful financial advisor. I was on Ac Prob for a semester myself. :chuckle:

And this isn't Tennessee or Cincy here ... this is Pittsburgh, where character matters.

I'll wager this kid gets cut if character is his issue. I haven't heard that rumor from the mouth of the one guy that matters .... Tomlin!

I'll wager he gets a classy welcome from Fast Willie in the same mode of character that Bettis embraced Parker if Redman sticks!

The kid wears Black-n-Gold!

And I could never figure out how a blue collar town of (principally) tattooed bikers in leather could have such a major issue about the character of a football player??????? I mean, seriously! I grew up in the 'Burgh and character is held in high esteem for our athletes by the people of lowest common denominator. I don't get it?

Steeldude
08-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Sure Russell looked good. But he sure ain't got what Redman's got!

and what exactly would that be?

Watch what that guy did with his legs!

same thing russell would do.

IMO, redman will be cut or sent to the PS. this does not mean i want him cut etc..., but i believe the coaches are going to go with parker, moore, mendenhall, summers and ugh!...davis.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 01:45 AM
and what exactly would that be?

IMO, redman will be cut or sent to the PS. this does not mean i want him cut etc..., but i believe the coaches are going to go with parker, moore, mendenhall, summers and ugh!...davis.

No chance man! Summers and Davis are one in the same. One stays ... the other goes. It's between Redman and Vincent for the #4 RB slot.

I happen to like Vincent too. But he ain't got what Redman got!

Steeldude
08-15-2009, 01:53 AM
But he ain't got what Redman got!

and again what would that be? i can't say i saw redman play in college, but from the highlight reels i don't see anything eye-popping.

Summers and Davis are one in the same

remains to be seen. summers may be cut, but i feel the coaches will keep the 5th rounder over the undrafted pickup.

don't get me wrong, redman may turn out to be a good RB, but all remains to be seen. so early to tell at the moment. i can only guess right now.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Again ...

Incredible lateral acceleration ... he moves laterally across the whole line of scrimmage with ease.

Suddenness to the hole .... when he sees his crack he is there!

He widens his base at the point of contact and glides off the tackler ... he's incredibly tough to tackle low ... forget about arm tackling this kid!

He lowers his pads and drives through tacklers ... he gets those extra tough last few yards by carrying the pile.

This is a big guy! He is 230 pounds of BIG! To have those kinds of skills is plain frightening on a big RB.

He has good vision and balance. He uses his arms well to ward off tacklers.

He played in the wildcat in college .... taking the direct snap, faking the reverse hand off and hitting the gap for big yardage.

He played on muddy fields in college that resemble Heinz Field in December! He's absolutley built for December Steelers football!

He may not be fast but he broke a 99 yarder in college among his many long runs. That speaks volumes about his "game speed".

You need to spend a little time checking this guy out. :tt02:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 02:11 AM
I'll be at camp today at 3:00 for the afternoon session.

I'll be reporting what I see there back to all you good people!

I won't and I don't sugar coat things! I call it like I see it!

This practice should be a good one. First cuts are just around the corner!

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-15-2009, 02:27 AM
You talk about Redman going against scrubs. :laughing: How did our "scrubs" do last night buddy? .... no seriously! ... how did our "scrubs" do? Did they bring it? :mad:

I didn't see any Cardinal "scrub" RB's busting two red zone TD's last night against our "scrubs"!
YAY!!! Our scrubs are better than their scrubs. Lets sign them to fat contracts while we still can!!!!

Sure Russell looked good. But he sure ain't got what Redman's got! And nobody proclaimed it either!
Answer honestly--- are you Isaac Redman?

How the hell did Justin Vincent have the best numbers last night? Explain that one to me!
Vincent had 26 yards on 9 carries (against 1st and 2nd stringers)
Redman had 32 yards on 10 carries (against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers)

Redman had the 2 TDs, but could that have anything to with the fact he was given the ball at the 5 YL and the 7 YL, whereas Vincent was running between the tackles at midfield against much better competition? Hmmm.....

You make a asinine statement that I just started watching football this season. Stick it up you as$ man! I've been a Steelers fan for 38 years! I've seen every gaddamn RB they've trotted out there since Franco Harris. And Redman has more skills than all but a select few of them!
I don't care if you have been a Steeler fan since Noah's Ark set sail-- I layed it out like I see it. After some limited success in a preseason performance, you jumped on Redman's junk with all the over-the-top enthusiasm of a first-year fan. Are we gonna win the SUperbowl this year because we beat down Arizona' s backups too?

Watch the gaddamn video clip of those TD's last night! Watch what that guy did with his legs! Watch how he broke a tackle with ease. Watch his intensity! Then watch his body of work from college, which was posted on here yesterday .... BEFORE his debut last night!
No need to swear. There have been other guys who were superstars in college and didn't amount to anything in the NFL. That is why they have camps, preseason games, and roster battles-- to weed out the non-hackers. So far, he looked DESCENT against 3rd and 4th stringers. No more, no less. Lets give him some more time before we annoint him the team MVP....

And I never said Mendenhall was getting replaced! What I said is that Mendenhall is going to get beat out .... NEXT YEAR!
And how is that not considered "replacing Mendenhall" again....?:doh:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Lets give him some more time before we annoint him the team MVP....

And how is that not considered "replacing Mendenhall" again....?:doh:

I never said either statement!

Nobody anointed him team MVP. I simply stated my perception of his running style to be similar to Fred Taylor's. I suggested he makes the team as the #4 RB. So what? Why else would he be in camp? To look pretty and get spanked by mental midget fans?

I said next year this kid will beat out Mendenhall straight up ... that's just some speculative optimism on my part that this kid is pretty darn good. It doesn't presume Mendenhall gets cut, loses his hair, or gets his panties all in a knot! Mendenhall will still be a Pittsburgh Steeler next year too! He'll just have to settle again for second billing like he is right now .... behind another former undrafted rookie who half of us seem to hate and who he seems unable to beat out for the starting job!

Look At how Darren McFadden has asserted himself in Oakland as the feature back in a doggone crowded backfield! He was hurt last year too. But those fans aren't suspect about that kid right now! They know they have a gamer.

Mendenhall needs to assert himself pretty deliberately over the next few weeks! Because Redman is doing just that!

fansince'76
08-15-2009, 02:47 AM
On one of Redman's TD's, it was clearly obvious the defenders were grabastic, disorganized 4th stringers....

That is why they have camps, preseason games, and roster battles-- to weed out the non-hackers.

Gonna go out on a limb here and take a wild guess that you're a Full Metal Jacket fan? The only thing missing after the "grabastic" comment was "pieces of amphibian shit." :chuckle:

And Lakelander, you better get your head and your ass wired together or I will take a giant shit on you! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2009, 03:58 AM
i've never see somebody get so excited over 10 carries for a whopping 32 yds before in my life ....:screwy:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 04:09 AM
And Lakelander, you better get your head and your ass wired together or I will take a giant shit on you! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

You lost me Mr. Moderator. I'm one of the ones already loaded with stench! :laughing:

I can't imagine these guys could get rubbed so wrong by what I have suggested. :doh: But then again ... I've been lurking around here a long time and I've seen how freaking :banging: stubborn some of these guys tend to be about change. Most of these guys think within a very narrow box!

Hell, I'm a huge Bruce Arians fan too! :chuckle: That flies around these parts real well I'm sure!

Preacher
08-15-2009, 05:51 AM
i've never see somebody get so excited over 10 carries for a whopping 32 yds before in my life ....:screwy:

What were John Kuhn's stats? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
08-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Man some of you guys are stubborn as hell. :chuckle:

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy my popcorn as this story unfolds .... :popcorn:

Furthermore ... if Mendenhall was smart (or a good runner) he wouldn't have let Ray Lewis break him up like that. Then he would have had a full season under his belt. Just sayin'

You go ahead. And when he gets cut next weekend, I promise I won't say "I told you so."

And being a "smart runner" has absolutely ZERO to do with Mendenhall getting his shoulder broken. It was a freak injury, and those can happen to anyone.

WHY are you so gung-ho about dumping Mendenhall before he's had a chance to prove himself, and for a guy who had an OK showing against a bunch of jobbers? You sound like one of those fans who wanted Troy cut after his unimpressive rookie season.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 08:00 AM
You go ahead. And when he gets cut next weekend, I promise I won't say "I told you so."

And being a "smart runner" has absolutely ZERO to do with Mendenhall getting his shoulder broken. It was a freak injury, and those can happen to anyone.

WHY are you so gung-ho about dumping Mendenhall before he's had a chance to prove himself, and for a guy who had an OK showing against a bunch of jobbers? You sound like one of those fans who wanted Troy cut after his unimpressive rookie season.

I'm not gung ho about anything other than seeing a great player in the throws of a big story for my own team!

I watched the same game you did! You say he played against "jobbers" and I say he dominated the "jobbers" with two tough TD runs!

Hell, you probably think Brady's great when in fact all he has done for his career is dominate "jobbers" as well. That's all Buffalo, Miami and New York have been his entire career .... the NFL's jobbers!

I say Brady is an over-rated dink-dank-dunk system jockey!

I watched the same BS Steelers running attack last year that you did! Who ended up getting carries? Our 4th stringer ... that's who!

I watched the same stinking line play last year you did. Who got busted up? .... our 1st and 2nd stringer RB's! .... that's who!

All I did was give a gut hunch assessment of a young kid 1 year younger than our most recent 1st rounder who is making a story for himself. I said he runs with a similar style to Fred Taylor's. You guys give this BS about Taylor being way faster! Speed and style are two seperate identities. You missed my point!

If he makes this team he may get his chance sooner than any of you want to admit!

You guys lock step want to bust it up! ... no ... take that back ... you guys lock step want to bust me up! :chuckle:

Go right ahead. :tt03:

I can live with myself if I'm wrong. I promise. I'm a big boy. I've been around web based NFL discussion boards now for 10 years.

A few of you are busting me up over this after already posting favorable viewpoints about this kid as your first reactions! It's hillarious to me how "bandwagon" so many of you are, but very few of you are innovators of personal thought on the Steelers. It's ... "yeah whatever he said" ... until what he said was wrong .... then it's "oh what a tool he was for saying that".

I say this kid is going to be a keeper!

Tell me I'm wrong when I'm wrong!

Until then tell me I'm a tool! :flap: So fukcing innovative man! So fukcing innovative.

I'm one of you! I'm a diehard Steelers fan!

Read my fukcing profile ...

http://bleacherreport.com/users/126815-mark-petro

If you can't respect my viewpoint about the Steelers you can have the gaddamn decency to at least respect me the person!

Christ! I'm going to camp today with members of another fan site for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. You see, we respect one another over there, even if we have differences of opinion!

BTW, Mendenhall's wasn't a "freak" injury .... Rod Woodson's was! Mendenhall's was a rookie getting owned!

:tt:

SteelTalons
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Gonna go out on a limb here and take a wild guess that you're a Full Metal Jacket fan? The only thing missing after the "grabastic" comment was "pieces of amphibian shit." :chuckle:

:rofl: Me thinks theirs drastic misquoting here. :chuckle:

"You had best unf**k yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"

fansince'76
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
You lost me Mr. Moderator. I'm one of the ones already loaded with stench! :laughing:

I can't imagine these guys could get rubbed so wrong by what I have suggested.

Sorry, my comment was only in jest and was actually just another line of dialogue from Full Metal Jacket. I'm hoping Redman can be a reliable short yardage back for us, but I have to see more before I form a definitive opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2009, 11:16 AM

:rofl:
What a difference 3 weeks makes:laughing:

Where is the poster that thought Summers is gonna be the next great big back because he was a "7th round talent drafted in the 5th round"?. Frank is gonna be in a fight to make it off the practice squad.

Kind of reminds me of the Daunte Brown vs. Willie Parker camp battle of 2003.

fansince'76
08-15-2009, 11:17 AM
:rofl: Me thinks theirs drastic misquoting here. :chuckle:

"You had best unf**k yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"

Actually, my quote came from this part:

4VHKpGJX29s

I loved that ultra gung-ho colonel - I wish he would have had a bigger part in the movie. :laughing:

SteelTalons
08-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Actually, my quote came from this part:

4VHKpGJX29s

I loved that ultra gung-ho colonel - I wish he would have had a bigger part in the movie. :laughing:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: I forgot about this part. :rofl: :laughing:

AllD
08-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I like the way he keeps his legs pumping when he gets stood up and he seems pretty good about falling forward.

It's his foot work that makes him a success. Plus he is built like a tree stump. Dixon also has good foot work in the pocket- no happy feet when he gets blitzed.

ANDYMISIU
08-15-2009, 11:25 AM
X-Terminator

To answer your question of why he's so gung-ho

Because some people like to say "I saw him first".

The Lakelander

I don't really care who gets the short yardage job, as long as whoever gets it is successful at it. It's been only one preseason game! it's too early tell how any of our young players will turn out.

I know Tomlin doesn't want to hear it, and I'm not making any excuses. However, this is Mendenhalls rookie season! he didn't get enough experience last year. I have full confidence in his ability.

I really don't understand what your basing your argument on. How do you come to the conclusion that Redmen has such great vision, glide, power, and all that jazz. How do you compare his style to Fred Taylor? how do you come to the conclusion that he will somehow be better then Mendenhall? because we've only seen him in one preseason game. Are you basing this on college highlights? cause honestly, almost every single NFL prospect has had success at the collegiate level, all NFL prospects have highlight tapes. If you've made it to the point of being in an NFL camp, then you have shown yourself to be above the college level competition. Have you seen Mendenhalls college games? he looked like f'ing Barry Sanders mixed with a little Emmitt Smith.

Now, you bring up the point that Mendenhall playing with and against first stringers in comparable to Redmen playing with and against 3rd stringers. What you fail to realize are two things. First, the Steelers had a 3rd string center and other backups playing along the line with Mendenhall. Second, the Steelers have much more depth accross our team then the Cardinals do. We are simply a deeper team. The talent level of the Steelers is above the Cardinals accross the board. So, our 3rd stringers should and did crush the cardinals 3rd stringers. It wasn't until the back ups came into the game that the Steelers won. It was a very close ball game when the starters were in. That's because the Cardinals only have a good 1st string, after that, well........

Long story short. Let Redmen do his thing against first stringers and then I'll be a believer. Until then, it's been just one preseason game and it's too early to tell much about anything.

revefsreleets
08-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Long story short. Let Redmen do his thing against first stringers and then I'll be a believer. Until then, it's been just one preseason game and it's too early to tell much about anything.

That's pretty much the long and short of it. My guess is Mendy would have literally destroyed the Cards 3rd string, and Isaac would have struggled mightily against their first line.

I DO enjoy the perennial exclamations about the 'Next great sleeper player" who either barely makes the team, gets cut or winds up on the practice squad. I do have to say this particular leap is a bit bigger than most, but...ok, whatever...

X-Terminator
08-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm not gung ho about anything other than seeing a great player in the throws of a big story for my own team!

I watched the same game you did! You say he played against "jobbers" and I say he dominated the "jobbers" with two tough TD runs!

Hell, you probably think Brady's great when in fact all he has done for his career is dominate "jobbers" as well. That's all Buffalo, Miami and New York have been his entire career .... the NFL's jobbers!

I say Brady is an over-rated dink-dank-dunk system jockey!

I watched the same BS Steelers running attack last year that you did! Who ended up getting carries? Our 4th stringer ... that's who!

I watched the same stinking line play last year you did. Who got busted up? .... our 1st and 2nd stringer RB's! .... that's who!

All I did was give a gut hunch assessment of a young kid 1 year younger than our most recent 1st rounder who is making a story for himself. I said he runs with a similar style to Fred Taylor's. You guys give this BS about Taylor being way faster! Speed and style are two seperate identities. You missed my point!

If he makes this team he may get his chance sooner than any of you want to admit!

You guys lock step want to bust it up! ... no ... take that back ... you guys lock step want to bust me up! :chuckle:

Go right ahead. :tt03:

I can live with myself if I'm wrong. I promise. I'm a big boy. I've been around web based NFL discussion boards now for 10 years.

A few of you are busting me up over this after already posting favorable viewpoints about this kid as your first reactions! It's hillarious to me how "bandwagon" so many of you are, but very few of you are innovators of personal thought on the Steelers. It's ... "yeah whatever he said" ... until what he said was wrong .... then it's "oh what a tool he was for saying that".

I say this kid is going to be a keeper!

Tell me I'm wrong when I'm wrong!

Until then tell me I'm a tool! :flap: So fukcing innovative man! So fukcing innovative.

I'm one of you! I'm a diehard Steelers fan!

Read my fukcing profile ...

http://bleacherreport.com/users/126815-mark-petro

If you can't respect my viewpoint about the Steelers you can have the gaddamn decency to at least respect me the person!

Christ! I'm going to camp today with members of another fan site for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. You see, we respect one another over there, even if we have differences of opinion!

BTW, Mendenhall's wasn't a "freak" injury .... Rod Woodson's was! Mendenhall's was a rookie getting owned!

:tt:

You know, I'm reading a bunch of text, but all I'm seeing is blah, blah, blah.

Redman is not making the team. The end.

stillers4me
08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
This just in from training camp...via Jim Wexell's twitter.......

jimwexell: Probably because Mendenhall sat out scrimmage. Redman in pain as trainers check hand.
23 minutes ago from txt

jimwexell: Isaac Redman getting a lot more work in passing game. Clark just drilled him in open field, held on.

PA/VA Guy
08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Redman played well against the competition that was in front of him. That's all you can ask from a rookie. All you can say at this point is that the coaches will give him a closer look during the next game. He took a good first step towards getting a spot on the roster. But he has a way to go.
:noidea:

Fire Haley
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
This just in from training camp...via Jim Wexell's twitter.......

jimwexell: Probably because Mendenhall sat out scrimmage. Redman in pain as trainers check hand.
23 minutes ago from txt

jimwexell: Isaac Redman getting a lot more work in passing game. Clark just drilled him in open field, held on.

Sounds like they are toughening him up for the first team. I like it.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

OneForTheToe
08-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Sounds like they are toughening him up for the first team. I like it.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Or kills you the next time. :thumbsup:

Shoes
08-16-2009, 12:52 AM
I guess the prophets who already think Summers is washed up must know more than Tomlin.....

“I think (Summers) is showing the aptitude of a lead blocker, a guy who is capable of generating power on contact,” said Tomlin. “He has a good demeanor for it. I think he is doing a nice job. He is open to it, so we are just trying to find more things that young men are capable of doing. This guy likes the combat. So we will continue to work with him in regards to the fullback position.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/108196/

Preacher
08-16-2009, 02:53 AM
I guess the prophets who already think Summers is washed up must know more than Tomlin.....

“I think (Summers) is showing the aptitude of a lead blocker, a guy who is capable of generating power on contact,” said Tomlin. “He has a good demeanor for it. I think he is doing a nice job. He is open to it, so we are just trying to find more things that young men are capable of doing. This guy likes the combat. So we will continue to work with him in regards to the fullback position.”

That was a nice quote. I think things are going to heat up between Redmand and the Tank.... I also thing we will see both of them playing against the second string next game.

MasterOfPuppets
08-16-2009, 03:35 AM
That was a nice quote. I think things are going to heat up between Redmand and the Tank.... I also thing we will see both of them playing against the second string next game. but the thing is preacher, they're not really competing for the same position. they're looking at him more as a fullback / ST , so i'd say he's competing more with davis....:noidea:

MongoSteeler
08-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Mike Tomlin and the front office bring in the best talent they can find to help the team in positions of need. This creates competition. Which is then evaluated to see who can help the team. They then look for versatility, and what the player can be coached into. In the end, we all trust in them to make the best decision as to which player will help the most.
Lighten up a little. It was only one preseason game.

Texasteel
08-16-2009, 07:40 AM

I don't think that to many people, if any, are saying Summers is washed up. But I do think some of us are getting way to wound up in two guys that may or may not make this team.
I thought Red men did a pretty good job, not a great job at what he did. Summers did a pretty good job, not a great job, at what he did. Its not like Redmen ran for 130 yard, or that Summers constantly made the block that broke him loose. We all need to step back and look at both these guys for what they are. Two rookies that have a long ways to go.

Like you said, in the end Tomlin and the coaching staff will be the ones making the decisions on all these player.

mmalone
08-16-2009, 10:41 AM
:rofl:
What a difference 3 weeks makes:laughing:

Where is the poster that thought Summers is gonna be the next great big back because he was a "7th round talent drafted in the 5th round"?. Frank is gonna be in a fight to make it off the practice squad.

Kind of reminds me of the Daunte Brown vs. Willie Parker camp battle of 2003.

here i am...

mmalone
08-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Redman or Summers, but IMO Ithink they both have a shot mainly because Redman looks great at short yardage, and Summers looks like he can play 2 or 3 positions and excel at special teams. You usually don't pass on a guy like Summers, and if Redman keeps producing, you've got to give him a shot as well. .....

The bottom line is we all want to have running backs that hit hard and move forward
carrying three guys along with them...

they are not afraid to get hit and look for someone to lower the shoulder into.....

redman and summers have this.... lots of us like that... they might not be fast they are rookies.... redman knees pop up real high to... i think that makes him look even
rougher.

but thats what we want on this team.. so we wish for these RB's to come about...

look at atlanta, they pick up Michael Turner hes a brusier... how fast is he?? oh... tomlinson is better, so san diego lets go of turner... well, turner is looking mighty strong now....

and san diego has there #1 pick.....

and gamble on the 5'6" Sproles to make it big.

Cant wait till saturday....

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
here i am...

I think I am confusing you with another poster that was saying Summers is gonna be a big part of the Steelers as a RB this season. There was some post like "when Summers shows you I'll be saying I told you so, but if he doesnt , then I will own it too". Was that you???

I hope Summers makes the team and beats out Davis, but I said earlier that he may only be the #4 RB and end up wearing sweatpants on the sidelines for most of this season. I still think he needs to show a lot more or he will end up on the PS at this point.

Shoes
08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I hope Summers makes the team and beats out Davis, but I said earlier that he may only be the #4 RB and end up wearing sweatpants on the sidelines for most of this season. I still think he needs to show a lot more or he will end up on the PS at this point.

I agree El, I think the step up to the pro's is bigger than a lot of these young guys think. Summers has a lot of grit tho and once he get his "sea legs" he'll be fine.....I think he will beat out Davis. By the way I always enjoy your view on things.

steelreserve
08-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Sorry, but that is a case of dislike overcoming reality.

Go back and watch all the games. Will busts up through the tackles... THEN, when facing down a LB, cuts outside for extra room. THAT is a run up the middle, and willie was pretty dang good at it.

Matter of fact, there were a few times where Willie made runs up the middle that there was NO WAY Jerome could have made. Specifically because the hole was closing up, and Willie was able to get to the hole, turn sideways, and squeeze through it. Jerome would have been stuffed behind the LOS.

Once again, I think you are scapegoating willie for the OL woes.

Whatever. I think it's a case of wishful thinking overcoming reality -- which is that Parker is a specialty back who we're using wrong because all the other RBs we brought in for three years were shitty. Can't really explain that away.

mmalone
08-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I think I am confusing you with another poster that was saying Summers is gonna be a big part of the Steelers as a RB this season. There was some post like "when Summers shows you I'll be saying I told you so, but if he doesnt , then I will own it too". Was that you???.

not sure, i have been saying the Fo picked him 5th for a reason. i always said the reason was to be the next solid FB..

this redman RB has the size and potential to be a good RB but i still stick with frank being the FB on our team.

Redman will take his talent to the next level if he has it. so far so good with him.

tony hipchest
08-16-2009, 03:20 PM
some jim wexell tidbits-

http://twitter.com/jimwexell

Anyone up for a bet on whether Carey Davis makes the team? I say he's a lock.

Some in personnel think Arians playing favorites with Redman, who was steered here by Todd McNair (Temple). They want Tank up gut.

todd mcnair = The Lakelander? :tap:

:chuckle:

Yes, Redman and Tank impressive at different positions, but raw on teams. Davis a leader and one of top cover men. Future is now

im sure the steelers have ton a cost risk/reward analysis with davis and feel what we give up in the running game with him on offens is far outweighed by what we gain in the return coverage on ST's.

i wouldnt mind seeing james harrison taking fewer ST snaps, and we must remember he was a nobody who cut is teeth playing teams.

as for redman, the above is an interesting take.

him or summers should have a good shot of sticking on the practice squad, however teams will be going over it with a fine toothed comb. :mg:

i would like to see him make it just so we could have a redman/method man "blackout" backfield

that would kick ass.

(not sure who would be mr. mef aka johnny blaze but willie parker seems fitting).

mesaSteeler
08-16-2009, 05:55 PM
See "Redman stars in (Sunday's) goal-line scrimmage" over in the training camp forum.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=639737#post639737

stillers4me
08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Redman stars in goal-line scrimmage
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...f389514407.txt
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:46 PM EDT

LATROBE -- Isaac Redman is fast becoming a camp sensation.

On Sunday, the rookie running back stole the show during a seven-play goal-line scrimmage. Redman carried on all seven plays from the 1-yard line and scored on five of them.

On the first two of Redman’s TDs, he was running with the first-team offense. His first three TDs came against the first-team defense.

“He’s our best player,” shouted quarterback Ben Roethlisberger after the impressive performance by the undrafted free agent out of Bowie State, an NCAA Division II progam..

Read more about Redman in Monday’s editions of The Times or on the web at www.timesonline.com

----------------------------------------------------------

jimwexell: Redman's fullbacks on TD runs: 1-David Johnson, 2-single back, 3-Sean McHugh and Tank Summers, 4-Summers, 5-Summers

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Well, here's hoping you're right, Lakelander.

I would be the first to rejoice if Redman works out for us. We miss having a short yardage option, or at least something reliable when we want to grind out the clock late in games.

I found this on CBS Rapid Reports (yeah, I know):

2:06:10 pm Steelers RB Isaac Redman could be the biggest surprise of training camp. The undrafted rookie went 5-for-7 in goal line drills against the first defensive unit. FB Frank Summers was his blocking back.

Here's hoping...

GO STEELERS!!

MasterOfPuppets
08-17-2009, 01:57 AM
The undrafted rookie went [B]5-for-7 in goal line drills against the first defensive unit.

His first three TDs came against the first-team defense.

so which was it 3 or 5 ??? :doh:

O Sensei
08-17-2009, 02:37 AM
It says 3 against the first team defense...5 total.

Surprised that Roethlisberger would say he's our best player...which would have to be heard in it's context to fully understand his meaning.....could it be a misquote.....nahhhhh, that never happens...

revefsreleets
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Roethlisberger was being sarcastic...

It would be FANTASTIC if we really found our short/GL back. I'm reserving judgment...

mmalone
08-17-2009, 10:27 AM
It says 3 against the first team defense...5 total.

Surprised that Roethlisberger would say he's our best player...which would have to be heard in it's context to fully understand his meaning.....could it be a misquote.....nahhhhh, that never happens...

Maybe in the next week or so. we will see summers run the ball 15 times at goal line and see redman block...

That would be interesting to see redmans blocking ability. we know summers is a short yardage brusier...

hopefully he gets a crack at it like redman has had his chances.

ANDYMISIU
08-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, I guess we got to learn a little more about Redman last night. Doesn't look like the Steelers are too high on him. He only got a couple carries and they didn't use him in any short yardage or goaline situations. No Frank Summers either at fullback.

Oh well.

stillers4me
08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Well, I guess we got to learn a little more about Redman last night. Doesn't look like the Steelers are too high on him. He only got a couple carries and they didn't use him in any short yardage or goaline situations. No Frank Summers either at fullback.

Oh well.

Frank Summers didn't play last night due to a hammy.

I wouldn't read to much into one preseason game. Each one is going to focus on different positions. Last night was not Redman's time.