PDA

View Full Version : Cards vs. Steelers Preseason Game #1 - Who Gets YOUR Game Ball?

HometownGal
08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Gosh - so many choices, but tonight, I have to go with Dennis Dixon. Kid came out looking a bit apprehensive but got it together, found his poise and made some dy-no-mite passes! :applaudit::drink:

Honorable mentions, in no particular order, go to Isaac Redman, Mike Wallace, DSep, Shaun McDonald and Joe Burnett. :tt02: :hatsoff:

Preacher
08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Wallace, Dixon, and Sep probably were the most fun to watch.

Burnett did get a good INT and set us up for a TD.

Edman
08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Dennis Dixon definately.

I'm excited for Mike Wallace and SWEEEED.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
Throw Limas Sweed in with all those guys you mentioned for my shared game ball.

fansince'76
Dixon and Redman.

devilsdancefloor
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM
redman, burnett,& dixon have to share it

pepsyman1
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
You want to know what REALLY excites me? After a season of having my heart jump into my throat every time Mitch Berger tossed up one of those lame duck 30 yard punts, having Sepulveda AVERAGE 49.5 yards a kick makes me feel like I've been tucked in with a nice warm blanket. Peace of mind....priceless

SteelCityMan786
08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
DIxon and Redman on O, and on D I give it to Ziggy.

scsteeler
08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Gosh - so many choices, but tonight, I have to go with Dennis Dixon. Kid came out looking a bit apprehensive but got it together, found his poise and made some dy-no-mite passes! :applaudit::drink:

Honorable mentions, in no particular order, go to Isaac Redman, Mike Wallace, DSep, Shaun McDonald and Joe Burnett. :tt02: :hatsoff:

I agree Dixon made some great plays.

Bluedust
08-13-2009, 11:48 PM
You want to know what REALLY excites me? After a season of having my heart jump into my throat every time Mitch Berger tossed up one of those lame duck 30 yard punts, having Sepulveda AVERAGE 49.5 yards a kick makes me feel like I've been tucked in with a nice warm blanket. Peace of mind....priceless

I ABSOLUTELY 100% agree with you.

7SteelGal43
08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
How bout a game ball for Hood just for that dance :chuckle: Then they showed Tomlin on the sideline a split second later and he had this sly grin like "that's right...I drafted him" :tt03:

Dixon : O M Gawwwwwww that kid is something. I watched him in the pocket, pressure closing in, he's like a statue, then delivers the ball like he's on the sideline warming up. I was like :jawdrop: And his delivery is so quick. I can see him at #2 maybe. What I saw tonite was AWESOME.

Redman : Nice sized RB, a l'il more meat then FWP, can bump his way on in, and if the O line can open up l'il room, well...I'm very excited so far about those 3. Can't wait til preseason game #2. :tt03:

OOH OOH, EDIT TIME ! Almost forgot....did anyone else get just an overwhelming sense of pride seeing Woodley (must take down warner) and Harrison (must go 100) side by side on the sideline...then this thought of "and we're adding Hood" ? Maybe it was just me but, I had this feeling that the Awesome D of the 70s would be proud to share the "Steel Curtain" monaker with this group.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm blah about the first stringers on either side of the ball...

but that is usually about normal for this team in preseason.

7SteelGal43
08-14-2009, 12:01 AM

:binky:

vindrow
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
My game ball goes to Jon Gruden for being a damn good announcer and putting Jaws in his place:D

SteelersTilIDie
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
daniel sepulveda!!!

Hotrodder07
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
So many good performances. Don't know if I can choose just one.

First, Mike Wallace impressed me. He showed soft hands, agility, and great speed tonight. Can't wait to see more from him!

Isaac Redman, of course. With 2 touchdowns, you have to throw him in this discussion, but we have to remember it was only against 3rd stringers.

Burnett impressed. Great interception. Didn't like his punt-returning ability too much, but it was alright.

Dixon played great. He might be able to win the #2 position if he keeps playing like that.

Sepulveda, of course. I loved how the fans cheered him when he got on the field. Stay healthy this year, Sep! Please!

I'm still on the fence with Sweed. His first catch was alright, but he barely hung on. He caught it off of the defenders helmet. His deep grab was impressive. He did everything right on that play. After he impressed me with that, however, he drops an easy 3rd and 5 out-route. He has to make those plays. I'm very interested to see if he will become a consistent receiver for us.

My game ball goes to Jon Gruden for being a damn good announcer and putting Jaws in his place:D

That too! I really enjoyed listening to Gruden tonight. He's a better color guy than I thought he would be.

mulldog24
08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
I agree with all you guys but lets give some props to a couple of the big uglys!!! I thought Legursky and Shiply both did a good job as well as Foster and Capizzi. Thought that Ziggy did great with his sack and also liked Sonny Harris cause he got a real good push up the middle.

STEELAMANIA
08-14-2009, 12:25 AM
I liked how Ben evaded the pressure and so did Dixon on one play....I hated that Vincent got so many carries when he's not gonna make the team. I was hoping for more carries for Summers but he was too busy playing fullback. McDonald was making some nice catches for Dixon. Wallace I wanted to see play against the starters and Sweed was playing lights out but his only weakness is adjusting to passes not thrown directly to him, but I'm confident he will be ready before the regular season.

JackHammer

I'll second that.

I like Sweed's catches a lot! Can't wait to see him grow throughout the season. Redman looked REAL good.

Steel_Bus_24
I was really glad to see "The Mortar" back in action......he set off some bombs:tt02:

I hope he can stay healthy this year

Dixon stepped up after a slow start and I liked Wallace and Sweed's play...:thumbsup:

Still worried as hell about our running game :mad:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-14-2009, 12:29 AM
ZIGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved his dance hahahahaha!

Also I gotts give it to Redman. I love the way he keeps moving his feet like The Bus always did. He could really be something, I wanna see him do it against better competition that the Cardinals third and fourth stringers.

Dennis Dixon was looking good, he could very well move Batch to the third quarterback.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! He had two catches that he would have probably dropped last season. I hope this translates to the regular season because he can have some huuuuuge plays for us if he can catch it.

Burnett looked good. Though the pick was against a guy who is probably going to be third string. But he showed he can predict where a QB is gonna go and make a play on the football. We might have a beast on our hands.

O Sensei
08-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Wallace drips with potential...smooth, smooth, smooth. He seems to have some of what Sweed does not. Redman, shipley, dixon....dixon...talk about potential.

Nope....wallace, mike wallace, only gonna get better.

Who does not get one? O-line...bruce Arians, just cause...Mendenhall, dude....pleeeeeeeeaaaaaase, you have no idea how long we have wanted a true stud ground pounder in this town, one that gets the tough yards and has the ability to take it all the way....(without fumbling, dropping short passes, missing key blocks, losing 3 yards every other carry and getting hurt fairly frequently....for all you FWP worshippers)....please Rashard, step the hell up...otherwise....paging Mr. Redman.

OneForTheToe
08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
That too! I really enjoyed listening to Gruden tonight. He's a better color guy than I thought he would be.

Dittto - he is much better than I thought. I thought Jaws was better tonight also. It probably comes from not having to listen to Kornhieser in is ear. With Tirico, Jaws and Gruden ESPN finally has a good crew.

brick
08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
dixon for me. his talent is still super raw, but he made some great plays tonight after calming down a bit. he has a hell of an arm on him (and loves to go deep which can be a good thing), but he needs to work on his decision making...but that comes with time, not many young qbs will have that right away.

sepulveda was awesome, so happy to see him out there and actually punting the ball farther than i can throw it, which i couldn't say about our punting last season. redman, sweed, and wallace were also exciting to watch out there too. gotta put their performances a little in perspective because it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers on the cards, but still, a lot of potential there.

The Definiti0n
08-14-2009, 02:33 AM
I like Wallace, Sweed, Hood, Sep, and Bruce Davis.

Bruce Davis had an INT and a couple of QB pressures.

Timmons missed a huge tackle is the hole because he looking at the reverse motion, and was looking to the side lines too much for the coaches for direction.

Mendenhall, I'm not sure what his deal is yet. Is it the line? Alot of his runs look like Willie Parker first hit and legs stop churning runs.

But I'm giving my game ball to Sep. His punting was the difference in the game.

UltimateFootballNetwork
08-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Good to see some real football again....

Legursky was surprisingly effective. I will keep an eye on him.

Sweed showed good ball skills and made two difficult catches, but I don't see him as a quick guy. I think he can be a good #2 WR, but not a #1. In fact, I think he has a little more growing to do before he's ready to be the #3 for a Super Bowl contender. I think he will get there by the second half of the season but McDonald is a smooth, reliable veteran. I think he starts the year at #3 WR and will make some nice plays this season.

But moreso than Sweed and McDonald, Wallace looked really impressive. Lots of rookie WRs look lost (i.e. Sweed), but Wallace looked like he might be able to contribute this year. He has #1 potential and reminds me of a taller version of Santonio Holmes.

I wonder if James Harrison can get better than last year, cause it looks like he might have improved. And keep in mind this guy was waived 4 times..

Gay is clearly a player and will step in nicely as a starting CB.

Didn't pay as much attention to the second defense.

Mendenhall is a bust. He has a rare combination of size, speed, quick feet but he does not seem to like playing football. He has poor vision and does not like to get hit. RBs can improve as they gain experience, but as far as running the ball either they have "it" or they don't, and he don't.

Dixon was really impressive moving the offense and was really accurate. However, I think Batch remains #2 this season unless the playoffs are, for some reason, not possible.

onefortheotherhand
08-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Mendenhall is a bust. He has a rare combination of size, speed, quick feet but he does not seem to like playing football. He has poor vision and does not like to get hit. RBs can improve as they gain experience, but as far as running the ball either they have "it" or they don't, and he don't.

wow i would say thats a little harsh on mendy...it was only a single preseason game

i think you need a complete body of work(like 2 or 3 seasons) to call someone a bust

steeltheone
08-14-2009, 03:33 AM
I'm not gonna say bust yet. But i have not been impressed one bit by him. This spells trouble for a number 1 pick.

UltimateFootballNetwork
08-14-2009, 03:58 AM
wow i would say thats a little harsh on mendy...it was only a single preseason game

i think you need a complete body of work(like 2 or 3 seasons) to call someone a bust

I had this opinion last year but wasn't quite sure. In fact, I thought it might be related to why he got hurt. As athletes will tell you, you get hurt in sports when you don't go hard and Mendenhall shies away from contact.

It doesn't matter. He's not going to be cut and he's going to get plenty more chances, but I don't think it's there.

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 04:28 AM
I had this opinion last year but wasn't quite sure. In fact, I thought it might be related to why he got hurt. As athletes will tell you, you get hurt in sports when you don't go hard and Mendenhall shies away from contact.

It doesn't matter. He's not going to be cut and he's going to get plenty more chances, but I don't think it's there.
OH OK ... 19 carries last year and now 9 carries into preseason and you can tell he's a bust... :jerkit: .

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 04:38 AM
why is hood being mentioned ? he was involved in exactly 1 play that he wasn't blocked on...:noidea:

WeegiesWarriors
08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Can we officially rip the "Big Snack" nickname from Casey and give it to Ben? I thought we traded for Jared Lorenzen.

You can say he takes such a beating that he has to relax his body in the offseason. I'll buy that; but man... turn down an ice cream sunday now and then when you are relaxing. Eat a salad or two.

You can twist it any way you want and give it whatever level of significance. While I think it may have little impact right now... he'll lose some weight in the next month... I think eventually it will impact his career. Once he hits 30 his metabolism will slow down just a bit, and it will take longer to get back into shape. In the meantime the offense suffers in practice while Ben struggles to get back to playing weight. Everybody else is expected to report at a certain weight... Ben should too.

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Can we officially rip the "Big Snack" nickname from Casey and give it to Ben? I thought we traded for Jared Lorenzen.

You can say he takes such a beating that he has to relax his body in the offseason. I'll buy that; but man... turn down an ice cream sunday now and then when you are relaxing. Eat a salad or two.

You can twist it any way you want and give it whatever level of significance. While I think it may have little impact right now... he'll lose some weight in the next month... I think eventually it will impact his career. Once he hits 30 his metabolism will slow down just a bit, and it will take longer to get back into shape. In the meantime the offense suffers in practice while Ben struggles to get back to playing weight. Everybody else is expected to report at a certain weight... Ben should too.

He looked pretty nimble getting away from that pass rush in his second series. :noidea:

Geesh, give him a break. Do you realize that Ben lost a lot of weight after his accident and having his spleen removed 3 years ago? He played at around 225-230 in 2006. He was this big before then, around 245-250. Why wasn't it a problem then, but all of a sudden it's a problem now?

Just another fan looking for something to nitpick.

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 07:16 AM
OH OK ... 19 carries last year and now 9 carries into preseason and you can tell he's a bust... :jerkit: .

Exactly.

And why is this guy STILL hanging around our message board? Isn't there a Redskins fan board out there he can join?

It is WAY, WAY, WAY too soon to call Mendenhall a bust. But then again, we're talking about the same fanbase that called Troy Polamalu a bust after his less-than-stellar rookie season. So I can't say I'm surprised.

Galax Steeler
08-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Jaws really pissed me off I lost alot of respect for him for what he said. My game ball goes to Sweed He really played well last night.

arge5809
08-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Dixon and Burnett

GBMelBlount
08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Dixon. I think he has potential and is exciting as hell to watch.

Kaeg
08-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Maybe not a game ball, but I gotta throw Madison's name in here for that one handed interception. He deserves a lil love for that one. :hug: (Even though it was called back by the flag.)

Galax Steeler
08-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe not a game ball, but I gotta throw Madison's name in here for that one handed interception. He deserves a lil love for that one. :hug: (Even though it was called back by the flag.)

That one should not have been called back it should have been defensive pass interferance he wrapped his arm around madison.

mmalone
08-14-2009, 07:47 AM
why is hood being mentioned ? he was involved in exactly 1 play that he wasn't blocked on...:noidea:

Correct .... Hood watched most plays happen around him. he slapped a runner once.

got the sack when everyone forgot him.

he will be ok. hes a rookie.

i thought madison was lost everywhere too. did have a nice pick. but seemed late on everything. and hes been here a while.

mmalone
08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Dixon was really impressive moving the offense and was really accurate. However, I think Batch remains #2 this season unless the playoffs are, for some reason, not possible.

Dixon gets the game ball... he needs to play 2 qtrs each pre-season game.

then he should be #2. we have no plays for him. once arians sees he is ready.
he should make some nice plays to compliment dixons abilities, they are completely different from bens.

I still feel after one year, arians showed us his ability to do nothing new with the first string in. it was the same old stuff from last year. not real smooth.. sorry..
just dont have any love for the arian play book, specially watching our old OC
entertain us with pro football offensive plays with deception, counter, draws, slants and get it done with less talent than we have on our offense. and he played the #1 Defense in the league.

Fire Haley
08-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I still feel after one year, arians showed us his ability to do nothing new with the first string in. it was the same old stuff from last year. not real smooth.. sorry..
just dont have any love for the arian play book, specially watching our old OC
entertain us with pro football offensive plays with deception, counter, draws, slants and get it done with less talent than we have on our offense. and he played the #1 Defense in the league.

Oh give it up. Not every thread has to be about Arians. It's preseason for chrissakes!

I saw lots of 4 and 5 wides - I loved the playcalling.

p.s. - The Whiz sucks balls - I laughed at his team losing again

mmalone
08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Oh give it up. Not every thread has to be about Arians. It's preseason for chrissakes!

I saw lots of 4 and 5 wides - I loved the playcalling.

its preseasson for christsakes....:thumbsup:

thats what i mean, at least get a little crazy with the calls in pre season.....:tt:

see what we have out there..... make the opposing defense look confused on the field...

warner had our guys reeling backwards for a while... i just watch the game and call it like i see it.

arians is the man in control, so i stop where the buck stops..

Fire Haley
08-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Vanilla D

Vanilla O

Some things about preseason never change

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM

I actually agree with this post.

Mendenhall lacks that certain something.

Sure he's big.

Sure he has a little straight ahead speed.

Sure he is strong.

Here's what he lacks ...

And here's what Redman owns ...

Both horizontal and vertical explosion.

Lateral movement at the line of scrimmage.

Suddenness.

A glide off the initial impact.

Elusiveness.

Escapability.

A wide base at the point of contact.

As for 2009, Mendenhall will get his shot as the 2nd RB on the depth chart.

Rashard Mendenhall is going to get beat out by Isaac Redman once Willie Parker is long gone.

Isaac Redman just made Tomlin's roster decisions freightful. Tomlin will have to get rid of two damn good RB's this year.

We can only hope for an injury and the disabled list for one of those guys ... or we lose them.

KeiselPower99
08-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Bruce Davis and Shaun McDonald. Legursky gets one as well.

deminutah
08-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Dixon. I think he has potential and is exciting as hell to watch.

I think they should give Dixon as much playing time this preseason as possible. He looked quite sharp and I believe he would give opposing defenses more trouble than Batch. Dixon was quite impressive when he stayed in the pocket ducked what should have been a sack and completed the pass.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I give it to Reed

50 yard FG at Heinz Field into the Open End to put us up 3-0 over their starters.

McDonald...was I the only one who saw the bobbles?

Sweed, the one drop, was an out, that was thrown at his knees, he's tall, that's actually a harder catch for a tall guy...get the ball up and its a catch...he looked good.

I can't say anything about Wallace...he's too fast and I can't see him...good fumble recovery though.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Mendy didn't impress but didn't look horrible. I'm a little tired of the deep penetration allowed by our Oline on running plays. That has to tighten up.

Where was Moore?

StainlessStill
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
I was VERY impressed with the 2nd and 3rd units last night. I thought most of them.. esp the ones that we NEED to keep an eye on, stood out. Very good news by the way the backups played. If we have that much depth that can step in and fill holes, then that is what is going to make us virtually unbeatable.

I didn't see a reply of the game on TV yet, so I'm going by actual game speed in person. The 2nd offensive line unit seemed money. They were digging down and moving the big guys up front. Vincent and Redman showed signs of life. Mendenhall NEEDS to work on getting low, and squaring his shoulders to the defense, or he will get killed or injured again.

Big Ben is Big Ben. Escaping havoc in the endzone and making it happen. Encouraging to see Ben make those plays.

Sweed looks like a different man. He made some nice catches on consecutive drives. Dropped one on the sidelines, but overall I like what I see. Also Shaun McDonald, Mike Wallace, and Dennis Dixon had my attention in a GOOD way.

Ziggy seemed to be getting down and dirty. Burnett took one to the house. Our young players are showing promise so far. I couldn't be happier from the production of the younger units.

#9 is our secret weapon. It was a joy to watch that man kick a ball more than 20 yards downfield. Every time he came to punt, the stadium gave some nice cheers.

Lawrence Timmons I saw WHIFF on a play, but made some nice hits. We need a lot more from him.

Jeff Reed needs to be signed big this offseason. PERIOD.

So many played well last night, but I'm giving the game ball to Burnett. His interception for 6 turned the game around and we turned the corner from there. Dixon is a close runner up, followed by Sweed, and McDonald.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Sweed showed good ball skills and made two difficult catches, but I don't see him as a quick guy. I think he can be a good #2 WR, but not a #1. In fact, I think he has a little more growing to do before he's ready to be the #3 for a Super Bowl contender. I think he will get there by the second half of the season but McDonald is a smooth, reliable veteran. I think he starts the year at #3 WR and will make some nice plays this season.

But moreso than Sweed and McDonald, Wallace looked really impressive. Lots of rookie WRs look lost (i.e. Sweed), but Wallace looked like he might be able to contribute this year. He has #1 potential and reminds me of a taller version of Santonio Holmes.

I wonder if James Harrison can get better than last year, cause it looks like he might have improved. And keep in mind this guy was waived 4 times..

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

23-0...how about them Redskins.

mmalone
08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Mendy didn't impress but didn't look horrible. I'm a little tired of the deep penetration allowed by our Oline on running plays. That has to tighten up.

Where was Moore?

Moore was out with Parker..

Mendy needs more play time. He may look better.

the Oline on running plays is a problem, has been for two years. doesnt matter who the backs are... i know you hate my idea on this, but the play calling with some better play action, draw plays, quick blitz counters will keep the bull rush down to a minimal.
The other teams just blast at us relentlessly, without hesitation. its not the oline or the running backs.. its...... ********** Tomlin needs to fix this situation fast.

just so you dont get mad at me..:helmet:

GodofGridiron
08-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I was VERY impressed with the 2nd and 3rd units last night. I thought most of them.. esp the ones that we NEED to keep an eye on, stood out. Very good news by the way the backups played. If we have that much depth that can step in and fill holes, then that is what is going to make us virtually unbeatable.

I didn't see a reply of the game on TV yet, so I'm going by actual game speed in person. The 2nd offensive line unit seemed money. They were digging down and moving the big guys up front. Vincent and Redman showed signs of life. Mendenhall NEEDS to work on getting low, and squaring his shoulders to the defense, or he will get killed or injured again.

Big Ben is Big Ben. Escaping havoc in the endzone and making it happen. Encouraging to see Ben make those plays.

Sweed looks like a different man. He made some nice catches on consecutive drives. Dropped one on the sidelines, but overall I like what I see. Also Shaun McDonald, Mike Wallace, and Dennis Dixon had my attention in a GOOD way.

Ziggy seemed to be getting down and dirty. Burnett took one to the house. Our young players are showing promise so far. I couldn't be happier from the production of the younger units.

#9 is our secret weapon. It was a joy to watch that man kick a ball more than 20 yards downfield. Every time he came to punt, the stadium gave some nice cheers.

Lawrence Timmons I saw WHIFF on a play, but made some nice hits. We need a lot more from him.

Jeff Reed needs to be signed big this offseason. PERIOD.

So many played well last night, but I'm giving the game ball to Burnett. His interception for 6 turned the game around and we turned the corner from there. Dixon is a close runner up, followed by Sweed, and McDonald.

Burnett didnt score on that interception.

1st&Goal
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
For us, I gotta say I was VERY impressed with Dixon ! What an arm! Sweed and Redman played very well too.
For the Cards, Leinart should get their game ball. He sure kicked St. Pierre's ass for their #2. Hopefully, our backups on D learned a few things from Leinart last night.

Godfather
08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
That one should not have been called back it should have been defensive pass interferance he wrapped his arm around madison.

That was an atrocious call.

But it's OK because the fans need to practice booing.

steelballs
08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Dixon, Wallace and Redman. I also liked Burnett on the defensive side of the ball.
I liked how Tomlin was right on Burnett after his fumble.

TackleMeBen
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
i was really impressed with dixon, so i will give him my game ball and boy was i happy to see Sep back, now that is how you punt..lol.

StainlessStill
08-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Burnett didnt score on that interception.

My mistake. My mind was rollin haha. Which I should of said was Burnett should of took it to the house and needs to finish the play. Getting tackled on the 3 yard line is a bad feeling to any players, like Timmons last year when he picked off Cassle.

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I actually agree with this post.

Mendenhall lacks that certain something.

Sure he's big.

Sure he has a little straight ahead speed.

Sure he is strong.

Here's what he lacks ...

And here's what Redman owns ...

Both horizontal and vertical explosion.

Lateral movement at the line of scrimmage.

Suddenness.

A glide off the initial impact.

Elusiveness.

Escapability.

A wide base at the point of contact.

As for 2009, Mendenhall will get his shot as the 2nd RB on the depth chart.

Rashard Mendenhall is going to get beat out by Isaac Redman once Willie Parker is long gone.

Isaac Redman just made Tomlin's roster decisions freightful. Tomlin will have to get rid of two damn good RB's this year.

We can only hope for an injury and the disabled list for one of those guys ... or we lose them.

I'm going to need to see more from Redman before I get excited about him. One game in which he played against guys who will not be with the Cards by the end of next week isn't nearly enough. I'm also not going to throw Mendenhall under the bus after one less-than-optimal game considering he has not seen much game action since he was drafted. It's too soon to make any kind of decision about him, positive or negative.

STEEL-MAN
08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't like what I saw from Mendy, however, a runner needs a gap to step into and it is still rare as seen last night...He looked slow!

Wallace is going to be a star!

Hood is a handful!

Burnett, a side from early jitters, has got great football moves, presents....

The first team played basic sets, a little of this and little of that...still they couldn't be happy with the O'line run blocking.

Defense .... GREAT!

Redman,,,,hmmmm where did this guy come from, hard to believe he wasn't drafted, good vision, hands, balance, nose for the ends zone...list goes on, most of all hard to bring down!

Last night was about the Rookies, I thought they all did well,
the Team has AWESOME depth!:tt02:

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow, i was surprised that we never got sacked or intercepted. Our O-line was getting blown up a decent number of times.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah, and where;s the love for Dixon? He gets the game ball for sure! I always feared for the possibility of him being our #2 QB because even though he did very well throwing the ball in college, he ran an awful lot too. He did great standing steady in the pocket, even under pressure!

cocoqro
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.:drink:

rich4eagle
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree with the Dixon pick

Indo
08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Dixon

Gruden

The Eagles (now we can all sigh -- **whew** --(not that I REALLY thought we were considering Vick...)

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Hell yes! Gruden! he was the man last night! We need someone with balls in the booth. JaWORSTy is horrible and a box IMO.

I give the game ball to Sepulveda, he was awesome last night.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:27 PM
He looked pretty nimble getting away from that pass rush in his second series. :noidea:

Geesh, give him a break. Do you realize that Ben lost a lot of weight after his accident and having his spleen removed 3 years ago? He played at around 225-230 in 2006. He was this big before then, around 245-250. Why wasn't it a problem then, but all of a sudden it's a problem now?

Just another fan looking for something to nitpick.

Bingo.

:thumbsup:

With all the abuse his body takes... I am GLAD he gave his body that offseason to rest. Furthermore, Ben DOESN'T make the long runs. He runs around in the pocket... and then usually, it is a shoulder tilt or something.

Heck, he may have put on the weight because he realizes he'll have to block for himself this year. He only has about another 60 pounds to go! :chuckle:

Texasteel
08-14-2009, 05:39 PM

I agree completely. After a slow start Dixon look to be a true #2 QB. He showed us a strong arm and greatly improved touch passes.

I was also extremely impressed by our entire receiving corp. I think we have something special in Sweed, and have found something special in Wallace.

mmalone
08-14-2009, 05:46 PM

before you folks keep blaming mendy, parker and moore, blame arians....

his play calling is not good.

Texasteel
08-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm going to need to see more from Redman before I get excited about him. One game in which he played against guys who will not be with the Cards by the end of next week isn't nearly enough. I'm also not going to throw Mendenhall under the bus after one less-than-optimal game considering he has not seen much game action since he was drafted. It's too soon to make any kind of decision about him, positive or negative.

I got to agree bud. I saw some drool over Summers before you even put on pads, and now Redman is a mix between Taylor and Bettis. I liked what I saw in Redman myself, but my gosh guys keep it real.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
If Redman is the real deal..... what do they do with the backfield? Because then they have
1. Parker
2. Moore
3. Mendenhall
4. Redman
Who gets the ax?
Also I am curious to see if Summers takes Davis' spot.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
LOL (and I mean that literally LAUGHING out loud here) at the dual idiocy of declaring Medenhall a bust after one stupid preseason game AND calling out Arians. I just have to shake my head and move on...

Game ball to Urbik. He reminds me of Faneca in some way, and THAT is a GREAT thing.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
LOL (and I mean that literally LAUGHING out loud here) at the dual idiocy of declaring Medenhall a bust after one stupid preseason game AND calling out Arians. I just have to shake my head and move on....

And it'd be 10 times worse if we'd have lost. Guaranteed.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Arians called a solid game...we ran the ball 32 times to 27 passing (which I think will be close to our run/pass ratio this year), we distributed the ball well, were in no way predictable, and it was an all-around nice called first preseason game (considering the vanilla nature of such affairs).

As for the RB situation, I've seen some goofy things from fans over the years, but calling a 1st RD draft pick a bust after a big injury comeback and his FIRST LIMITED action in a preseason game is really, really something...

UltimateFootballNetwork
08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
LOL (and I mean that literally LAUGHING out loud here) at the dual idiocy of declaring Medenhall a bust after one stupid preseason game AND calling out Arians. I just have to shake my head and move on...

Game ball to Urbik. He reminds me of Faneca in some way, and THAT is a GREAT thing. Since I am the guy who called him a bust, I'll go ahead and agree with you that it would be really, really stupid to declare Mendenhall a bust after 1 preseason game.

That's why I waited until after 5 preseason games and 4 regular season games to call him a bust.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Since I am the guy who called him a bust, I'll go ahead and agree with you that it would be really, really stupid to declare Mendenhall a bust after 1 preseason game.

That's why I waited until after 5 preseason games and 4 regular season games to call him a bust.

You get that insight from another "Tweet" by an ex-Browns scout? :coffee:

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Since I am the guy who called him a bust, I'll go ahead and agree with you that it would be really, really stupid to declare Mendenhall a bust after 1 preseason game.

Melwelde Moore to the Hall of Fame, maaaaaaaan! (At Tulane...where he belongs)

You're not even worth responding to anymore...

O Sensei
08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
While it's clearly early on in RMs career to call him a bust, the kid does need to show a little more passion in his running. Perhaps a little less Simon and Garfunkle and a little more AC/DC to borrow a gruden ref.

As for Arians...I don't care if you have ten million posts on this board....a large part of what has held this offense back has been lackluster playcalling. Repeated failures elsewhere DO mean something and this dude has a list of 'em. The Steelers won this SB in spite....of BA and because of awesome defense, timely special teams....punting excluded....and a miracle of a QB.

I like the look of Sweed, he's starting to show signs....but Wallace does as well and he didn't take a year to do so, great, great pick, dude is gonna be a star.:jammin:

O Sensei
08-14-2009, 07:50 PM
p.s.

whiz almost beat our ass in the SB.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
p.s.

They don't hand out rings for "almosts."

Texasteel
08-14-2009, 07:57 PM
p.s.

We did beat his.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 08:18 PM
While it's clearly early on in RMs career to call him a bust, the kid does need to show a little more passion in his running. Perhaps a little less Simon and Garfunkle and a little more AC/DC to borrow a gruden ref.

As for Arians...I don't care if you have ten million posts on this board....a large part of what has held this offense back has been lackluster playcalling. Repeated failures elsewhere DO mean something and this dude has a list of 'em. The Steelers won this SB in spite....of BA and because of awesome defense, timely special teams....punting excluded....and a miracle of a QB.

I like the look of Sweed, he's starting to show signs....but Wallace does as well and he didn't take a year to do so, great, great pick, dude is gonna be a star.:jammin:

Sigh.

So what do you want? The "Smash Mouth Football" game back? Even though a number of the posts on this board over the last 24 hours were bemoaning the "1st down, run between the tackles 2nd down run between the tackles" play calling? Btw, that IS smashmouth football.

Or do you want us to go to a more spread offense and throw the ball more often, which then brings about the cries of "We have to get back to Smash Mouth Football".

Oh wait.. I know, let's do screens! Yeah, and our coaching staff has said that screens with this o line looks like the key-stone cops.

So is it Arians fault for trying to run Smash Mouth football, is it is fault for NOT running Smash Mouth Football, or is it his fault for not convincing the rest of the coaching staff and FO to bring in O line that can run proper screens?

tony hipchest
08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
woah, mendenhall avoids contact??? he didnt crack his scapula (an injury more prone to car wrecks) avoiding contact.

the cardinals have shut down our running game the past 3 times we have played them. it happens.

he showed explosive burst and 1st step. and looked almost willie parker fast bouncing it to the outside.

if arians calls games the same, how is any defense not gonna be too tired to stop either of them taking it to the house in the 4th quarter?

as for game ball, it is sometimes a token reward that offers a vote of confidence. give it to sweed.

other than madisons 1 handed grab and smokin joe burnetts int return, he had the 2 most spectacular plays.

props to wallace. that dude is stocky. i dont see how we can take miller or parker off the field to go 5 wide, but if we do.... WOW.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 08:27 PM
woah, mendenhall avoids contact??? he didnt crack his scapula (an injury more prone to car wrecks) avoiding contact.

the cardinals have shut down our running game the past 3 times we have played them. it happens.

he showed explosive burst and 1st step. and looked almost willie parker fast bouncing it to the outside.

if arians calls games the same, how is any defense not gonna be too tired to stop either of them taking it to the house in the 4th quarter?

as for game ball, it is sometimes a token reward that offers a vote of confidence. give it to sweed.

other than madisons 1 handed grab and smokin joe burnetts int return, he had the 2 most spectacular plays.

props to wallace. that dude is stocky. i dont see how we can take miller or parker off the field to go 5 wide, but if we do.... WOW.

Exactly... Contrary to the opinion of some around here. There ARE times to go five wide. When they do, it will be quite interesting to watch. ESPECIALLY with Ben extending plays with his legs.

But wait (or is that weight?) Ben is too fat to extend plays with his legs now! :coffee:

SteelersinCA
08-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I was impressed with Sweed's presence. was really looking forward to seeing how far he had come along. While he only caught 2 balls. He seemed to run crisp routes and have a high awareness. Good job.

And it was gloriously refreshing to see a punt go more than 35 yards!!!

alittlejazzbird
08-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm blah about the first stringers on either side of the ball...

but that is usually about normal for this team in preseason.

Yep - vanilla and lackluster seems to be the rule with these guys in August. I remember feeling exactly the same way after the first preseason game last year, and things worked out pretty well.

HometownGal
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
before you folks keep blaming mendy, parker and moore, blame arians....

his play calling is not good.

:rolleyes: :yawn:

Ring around the rosey
Pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down. :willy:

HometownGal
08-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Why don't you change your moniker to O Shit? :rolleyes:

All BA did in the Super Bowl was create and CALL the 62 Scat Flasher that resulted in the Ben to Santo winning TD pass. :shake02:

I give a game honorable mention to BA for mixing it up and calling a good game which resulted in yet another Steelers win, though meaningless. :applaudit:

rbryan
08-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Vanilla, lackluster, (even ugly) wins is what Steeler football has been about as long as I can remember.

Learn to embrace it.

"Fantasy football" #'s are for those living in a world where the team they root for hasn't won 6 Lombardies.

UltimateFootballNetwork
08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
You get that insight from another "Tweet" by an ex-Browns scout? :coffee: FYI Chris Mortensen called that scout the best source of NFL information on Twitter.

UltimateFootballNetwork
08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Melwelde Moore to the Hall of Fame, maaaaaaaan! (At Tulane...where he belongs)

You're not even worth responding to anymore... Except you did and for some reason brought up a player that wasn't in pads yesterday.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
FYI Chris Mortensen called that scout the best source of NFL information on Twitter.

Color me impressed. :yawn:

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Yep, I'm just about at the point where I'm going to have to send UFN the tool to the bozo bin. As comical as they are at times, the pain of reading his inane drivel is becoming too much to bear.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Jeez when are they going to get rid of Arians? He's such a loser. Don't expect any titles as long as he's the OC........:wink02:

Indo
08-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Yep, I'm just about at the point where I'm going to have to send UFN the tool to the bozo bin. As comical as they are at times, the pain of reading his inane drivel is becoming too much to bear.

:laughing:

sherlock
08-16-2009, 03:33 PM
For what it`s worth I thought Gay,Sepulveda and McDonald stood out.
Gay....Looks more than able to replace McFadden.
Sepulveda.....I couldn`t believe what I was watching(I`ve only been following the Steelers for 2 years so I`ve only known Berger and Ernster !!)
McDonald...Seems like a classy performer.

mmalone
08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
For what it`s worth I thought Gay,Sepulveda and McDonald stood out.
Gay....Looks more than able to replace McFadden.
Sepulveda.....I couldn`t believe what I was watching(I`ve only been following the Steelers for 2 years so I`ve only known Berger and Ernster !!)
McDonald...Seems like a classy performer.

McDonald will be a great play maker for us this year..

hes has the hands and runs the routes and hot routes.

he will be fine in black and gold.

add Sweed and Wallace... Ben should have fun against some of the teams on our schedule this year with these offensive weapons.

O Sensei
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Why don't you change your moniker to O Shit? :rolleyes:

All BA did in the Super Bowl was create and CALL the 62 Scat Flasher that resulted in the Ben to Santo winning TD pass. :shake02:

I give a game honorable mention to BA for mixing it up and calling a good game which resulted in yet another Steelers win, though meaningless. :applaudit:

I'll hold off on that name change there homergomer....that play was all Ben and 'tone and you know it....great playcall....'tone doesn't make that sensational catch and we're all calling for BA's head. Ya do recognize we wuz dominating that game and nearly lost it right???

I give him credit for falling into a position he really doesn't deserve and having the good sense to know how lucky he is...

Now roll your eyes outta my conversation.....:coffee:

fansince'76
08-16-2009, 04:50 PM
....'tone doesn't make that sensational catch and we're all calling for BA's head.

You're pretty much doing that anyway, no? :coffee:

Ya do recognize we wuz dominating that game and nearly lost it right???

And our defense pissing away a 13-point lead and giving up almost 300 passing yards in the 4th quarter alone was BA's fault? Right, buddy. :coffee:

What "conversation?" All I see is yet another (out of about 10 million others) "BA sucks, is the worst OC in NFL history and should be fired" rant. :coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-16-2009, 05:27 PM
How the Hell did this turn into a "Blame Arians" thread!!!????

My game ball goes out to all the fans who understand that coaches dont care about W's & L's in preseason.:doh:

Preacher
08-16-2009, 05:30 PM

My game ball goes out to all the fans who understand that coaches dont care about W's & L's in preseason.:doh:

:laughing: You really have to ask that question?

My game ball goes out to anyone that can go for more than a week without scapegoating arians after a game.

StainlessStill
08-16-2009, 05:32 PM

+1. People look way into things.

For me, pre-season is fun to watch because of the jobs won and lost for the backup players and also for the rookies.

50/50 for me is that when Tom Brady throws 3 touchdown pass's and when people make a HUGGGE deal about it, then that's lame. That is expected from him, esp. from a standard football point of view and a player of his caliber... whooptie dooh. (Him slamming his helmet after that pick had me howling.. what a little bitch.)

But when Kyle Orton throws 3 horrendous picks, then he deserves it, since it IS standerd football and that there is something terribly wrong there. Granted he's in a new system, but those picks were unacceptable.

I do agree that people look way too deep into the pre-season, though.

Texasteel
08-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I'll hold off on that name change there homergomer....that play was all Ben and 'tone and you know it....great playcall....'tone doesn't make that sensational catch and we're all calling for BA's head. Ya do recognize we wuz dominating that game and nearly lost it right???

I give him credit for falling into a position he really doesn't deserve and having the good sense to know how lucky he is...

That was a very good catch, not a sensational catch. I've seen that same catch made along the sideline by several WRs. It was a better throw than catch.

You will give Arians all the blame for a 3 and out, but will not give him any credit for a game winning drive.:rolleyes:

Give him credit for falling into a job with the champions and holding on to it. :rolleyes:

Texasteel
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
:laughing: You really have to ask that question?

My game ball goes out to anyone that can go for more than a week without scapegoating arians after a game.

Come on Preach. You know we were getting these before that game.

Ravenssuck
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
My game Ball goes to ANYBODY that starts in front of Carrie Davis or Darnell Stapleton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't say a word about ARIENS... for now...

devilsdancefloor
08-16-2009, 06:46 PM

What you not gonna pimp Moore to start?? Mendy is a bust & FWP cant get it done..... BUT Moore is a god among men and all the coaches at Minnesota & Pittsburgh are idiots...

X-Terminator
08-16-2009, 07:12 PM

And of course, the D gets no blame at all for blowing a 13 point lead in the 4th quarter. Absolutely none. It all must be the OC's fault. :coffee:

How about your roll your ass right off this message board? Sick of noobs like you coming on here and leaving your smelly droppings.

HometownGal
08-16-2009, 07:36 PM
You will give Arians all the blame for a 3 and out, but will not give him any credit for a game winning drive.:rolleyes:

That's today's atypical Steelers "fan", Tex. :jerkit: Nevermind the well documented fact that BA not only created that phenomenal play, but called it at the right place, right time. Imho, he gets just as much credit for the success of that play as do Ben and Santo.

Stlrs4Life
08-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Redman and Dixon.

HometownGal
08-16-2009, 07:43 PM

You do realize, Stevie Wonder, who created and called that play, don't you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Listen pal - you don't tell ME or anyone else around here when and where they can post.

Now go back to playing your piano and singing Blowin' In the Wind.

devilsdancefloor
08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
McDonald will be a great play maker for us this year..

hes has the hands and runs the routes and hot routes.

he will be fine in black and gold.

add Sweed and Wallace... Ben should have fun against some of the teams on our schedule this year with these offensive weapons.

Nah remember Arians sucks. there will be no good games called or any fun and we wil not have any plays but run between the tackles cause Arians SUCKS :coffee: :banging:

O Sensei
08-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Okay......
So on one hand we have somone that discounts everything coach whiz did while he was here and what he's done with the 'zona franchise....

...on the other we have a trifecta of highly tenured posters who will not ALLOW any criticism of our exalted offensive coordinator...congrats to him for winning a much bigger battle by the way....good health to ya BA...sendin' that out there.

Did the final drive and eventual TD have more to do with BA's exceptional playcalling or just the sheer talent of some of the members of this offensive football team? Thats my question ladies, gentlemen and hometowngal.

....and hey look, IMO, stupid NOOB that I am....discounting my 11 years of organized experience playing and 5 years coaching this stupid game...the guy has a great hand he's been dealt and he and this team SHOULD be succeeding.......in fact they should be better. Explain to me how we managed to lose the Giant game, or the eagle game...absolutely no answer there. Exactly how long will the ben running for his life express offense work? If he goes down will batch be able to do what he does because "the system" is sound? Please. If Moore is a sound back, which I think we all can agree that he is....why was the running game, which takes pressure off of our fleeing Mr. Roethlisberger....so ineffective? Injuries? we have the luxury of having the best playground qb in the game today, and when the SYSTEM....breaks down...that is when he excels....Players play....coaches coach......there are at least 10 off coordinators out there doing the latter better than BA.

As for....He wrote up the play, he's the coach.....stevie wonder....blabbideeeblah,blah blah...oh yes and blah......the play broke down....coach.....the third option was covered....okay,..... you say it was not a great catch... great throw then, whatever...over and around three defenders....just the way it was drawn up right? Suuuuuuuuuure.

Strange that for a blind man I have a distinct knack for seeing through your bullshit.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong....and missus....I'll change my name when I want to, kay pumpkin?

X-Terminator
08-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Okay......
So on one hand we have somone that discounts everything coach whiz did while he was here and what he's done with the 'zona franchise....

...on the other we have a trifecta of highly tenured posters who will not ALLOW any criticism of our exalted offensive coordinator...congrats to him for winning a much bigger battle by the way....good health to ya BA...sendin' that out there.

Did the final drive and eventual TD have more to do with BA's exceptional playcalling or just the sheer talent of some of the members of this offensive football team? Thats my question ladies, gentlemen and hometowngal.

....and hey look, IMO, stupid NOOB that I am....discounting my 11 years of organized experience playing and 5 years coaching this stupid game...the guy has a great hand he's been dealt and he and this team SHOULD be succeeding.......in fact they should be better. Explain to me how we managed to lose the Giant game, or the eagle game...absolutely no answer there. Exactly how long will the ben running for his life express offense work? If he goes down will batch be able to do what he does because "the system" is sound? Please. If Moore is a sound back, which I think we all can agree that he is....why was the running game, which takes pressure off of our fleeing Mr. Roethlisberger....so ineffective? Injuries? we have the luxury of having the best playground qb in the game today, and when the SYSTEM....breaks down...that is when he excels....Players play....coaches coach......there are at least 10 off coordinators out there doing the latter better than BA.

As for....He wrote up the play, he's the coach.....stevie wonder....blabbideeeblah,blah blah...oh yes and blah......the play broke down....coach.....the third option was covered....okay,..... you say it was not a great catch... great throw then, whatever...over and around three defenders....just the way it was drawn up right? Suuuuuuuuuure.

Strange that for a blind man I have a distinct knack for seeing through your bullshit.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong....and missus....I'll change my name when I want to, kay pumpkin?

For one thing, no one gives a shit how much experience you may or may not have coaching. It doesn't make you an expert, nor does it make you better than anyone else on this board. El-Gonzo Jackson is a high school OL coach - I don't see him belittling others just because he's "in the business."

Secondly, I'd suggest you change your attitude REAL fast, in general and toward HTG, or your ass will be on the "running for your life" express off this board. NO ONE likes people who are condescending, rude and arrogant, ESPECIALLY a noob. Got it?

HometownGal
08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
....and hey look, IMO, stupid NOOB that I am....discounting my 11 years of organized experience playing and 5 years coaching this stupid game...

Oh, please forgive me. You are the sultan of football wisdom, the guru of expertise, a man among men who should be an OC in the NFL instead of just another Joe posting on an internet sports board. I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :rolleyes:

the guy has a great hand he's been dealt and he and this team SHOULD be succeeding.......in fact they should be better.

The Steelers offense, coached by that incompetent debil, played a huge role in winning the SUPER BOWL!!!! :banging:

Explain to me how we managed to lose the Giant game, or the eagle game...absolutely no answer there.

Considering Ben was sacked a total of 14 times in those two matchups and the D gave up a combined total of 36 points, you do the math. :doh:

Exactly how long will the ben running for his life express offense work? If he goes down will batch be able to do what he does because "the system" is sound? Please.

And BA is out on that field blocking for Ben?

No - Batch won't be able to do what Ben does - he simply doesn't have anywhere near the talent, but Leftwich was able to step in last season and play admirably under that system you abhor. :doh:

If Moore is a sound back, which I think we all can agree that he is....why was the running game, which takes pressure off of our fleeing Mr. Roethlisberger....so ineffective? Injuries? we have the luxury of having the best playground qb in the game today, and when the SYSTEM....breaks down...that is when he excels....Players play....coaches coach......

EXECUTION. Why is it so hard for you and a couple of others around here to get that very simple concept? :doh:

there are at least 10 off coordinators out there doing the latter better than BA.

I'm sure there are a few, but when all is said and done, who is the OC sporting a shiny new SB XLIII ring?

I never said it wasn't a great throw or a great catch, but you Arians bashers want to discount the contributions made by our OC not only on that play and in that game, but the entire season. Was BA responsible for the play "breaking down"? :banging: Tomlin has faith in him as do the players, particularly Ben, so he obviously can't be the anti-Christ you make him out to be. Do I agree with his playcalling 100% of the time? No, but I'm intelligent enough to realize that is why he is an NFL OC and I'm on the outside looking in.

Obviously, you haven't requested a copy of the Steelers playbook in Braille so you can follow along.

Okle, dokle . . .:drink:

http://theblackboxoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/stevie-wonder-photo.jpg

Texasteel
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Okay......

I am answering this only because you seemed to have called me out. Pumpkin.

No, IMO it was not a GREAT catch. Yes, IMO it was a GREAT throw. It is the OC job to put together, and call a play that will let the players make these plays. I don't care if it was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th, option, it was there, and the OC does in fact have something to do with that. You have also forgotten that the drive did not start with that play. The OC did have something to do with getting them to that point.

I don't care if you were born a football coach. You are not the Head Coach of the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, and that coach seems to like the OC he has. That, is what carries the most weight with me.

No one is saying Arians is a HOF OC, but to point a finger at him as THE problem this team has is unfair, IMO. Then again, if you don't like him, you march yourself into the head coaches office and tell him what you have been telling us. See if you get a better response. Pumpkin.

revefsreleets
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
This is the SAME OLD GARBAGE, and it makes this guys claim about 11 years of this and 5 years of that highly dubious: Essentially he's stating that success is due to players and failure is due to coaches. That's about the football IQ equivalent of a Pop Warner mentality.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
My game Ball goes to ANYBODY that starts in front of Carrie Davis or Darnell Stapleton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't say a word about ARIENS... for now...

fansince'76
08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Okay......

Huh? Please point that out. And if you think people didn't bitch constantly about the playcalling through 15 years of "Cowherball," which also included Whiz's tenure as our OC, you either have a very short memory or you just recently started following the team.

...on the other we have a trifecta of highly tenured posters who will not ALLOW any criticism of our exalted offensive coordinator....

Yep, criticism IS allowed. It's part of a football messageboard. However, expect to have the criticisms challenged by people who don't agree with the criticisms. Also part of a football messageboard.

....and hey look, IMO, stupid NOOB that I am....discounting my 11 years of organized experience playing and 5 years coaching this stupid game....

And I'm sure the Podunk Valley Pee-Wee League is damned proud to have you as a groundskeeper/equipment manager/scorekeeper/assistant coach of the Okeefenokee Midget Mudhens.

the guy has a great hand he's been dealt and he and this team SHOULD be succeeding.......

We just won the Super Bowl. How is that NOT succeeding? And please spare me the bullshit about being ranked 23rd in offense last year. We were a top-10 offense statistically in 2006 and were out of the playoff hunt for all intents and purposes by Halloween that year. But it's become very apparent that Fantasy Football numbers are all that matter to the Madden-'09-in-Franchise-Mode-on-the-X-Box cognoscenti, such as yourself.

The only knack you've exhibited is that of spewing an excessive amount of bullshit. Bully for you. :coffee:

mmalone
08-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Nah remember Arians sucks. there will be no good games called or any fun and we wil not have any plays but run between the tackles cause Arians SUCKS :coffee: :banging:

I just think we would be twice as good on offense with a OC with a little imagination.

remember we won a SB.... so he isnt that bad... riding Bens back...

always stride for the best..... why settle for average.. isnt that what we do with the players...??? why should we with a coach....

revefsreleets
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
And I'm sure the Podunk Valley Pee-Wee League is damned proud to have you as a groundskeeper/equipment manager/scorekeeper/assistant coach of the Okeefenokee Midget Mudhens.

Oh my...that IS very funny...I have to admit I chucked up a little coffee over this one!

Is he a football coach? No, but he DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

SteelTalons
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh my...that IS very funny...I have to admit I chucked up a little coffee over this one!

Is he a football coach? No, but he DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

More like Motel 6... :coffee:

Preacher
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by O Sensei http://www.forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=639895#post639895)
...on the other we have a trifecta of highly tenured posters who will not ALLOW any criticism of our exalted offensive coordinator....

Not at all. What you have is a LOT of people on this board who are sick and tired of hearing people scapegoat Arians and paint with a very broad brush.

Is there things Arians does wrong? Absolutely. Are there things Arians does right? Absolutely. Are there things Arians has no control over, Absolutely.

Until some people on this board get that... and stop thinking that firing Arians will be the elixir to all our troubles, MANY on this board will treat those kinds of posts as the joke they are.

O Sensei
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
After rereading the thread I guess I came off kinda wrong....in my tone. What I really regret however is turning this into an unofficial bash arians thread, which it was not...cardinal rule of a board...at least for me...is to stay on topic...which I did not.

Obviously I do not agree everything Arians does....and thats great....many of you do not share that and thats fine too. I've read some very valid points in this thread, but many more in other threads and I like it here.....sound talk, straight....to the point...no personal attacks...ahem...(O shit....that was nice...right outta tha gate you got me...and I replied and yet I'm the asshole??? Do ya have a problem with people who disagree with ya? You aren't Mrs Arians are ya?)

Anyway...letting it go, here's the peace pipe....I'm leavin' this Arians talk outta my sightline for the rest of the season, promise....too much passion for me....TY.

Back on topic...HS AA coach by the way, nice to hear there's others here...5 years, burned out, I know thats a bad phrase...I was seein' my own kids about every time I walked past their pics on the wall, not easy. I started having doubts when I heard my HS coaches son had commited suicide, here I had watched this kid grow up, he had eventually kinda fragmented from his father...and lost his way. Old coach didn't have an answer....he didn't know him anymore he said...strongest slap I've ever taken for sure. Anyway, I helped run a spread offense, backs and wideouts...no illusions about it translating to the pros, anyway...this is about as close as I get to talking ball at any organized level anymore and it keeps me married...about that topic...

I know this prob. isn't right...which one could be....I'll go with wallace...real impressed, sounds like ben is too, but you could pick 10 or 12 others and still be right. All I got for now. later.

SteelTalons
08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Obviously I do not agree everything Arians does....and thats great....many of you do not share that and thats fine too. I've read some very valid points in this thread, but many more in other threads and I like it here.....sound talk, straight....to the point...no personal attacks...ahem...(O shit....that was nice...right outta tha gate you got me...and I replied and yet I'm the asshole??? Do ya have a problem with people who disagree with ya? You aren't Mrs Arians are ya?)

Anyway...letting it go, here's the peace pipe....

Your pissed cuz she called you O Shit... :laughing:

Look bro, I think you missing the point here. I dont think she got so much mad with you calling her Homergomer over a difference on Arians despite how divided and hostile the people on this board get about that... On both sides. I think the real issue was...

When you had the nerve to tell her to roll her eyes out YOUR conversation. You've been here for all of what a couple of damn weeks. 20 some posts and suddenly you act like your the big shit to of all people, one of the longest tenured members on this board and a Moderator on top of that.

Thats like when J Dogg started flaming Tony. See how that ended dont you? :wave:

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Thats like when J Dogg started flaming Tony. See how that ended dont you? :wave:damn... i missed alot. what happened to j-dogg? did he get the boot? i didnt even notice it until late in the game, but his posting style was awfully reminicent of another banned board antagonist named jeremy. :noidea:

HometownGal
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
damn... i missed alot. what happened to j-dogg? did he get the boot? i didnt even notice it until late in the game, but his posting style was awfully reminicent of another banned board antagonist named jeremy. :noidea:

http://www.kristanhiggins.com/bloodhound101503a.jpg