PDA

View Full Version : WTH Is Wrong With Kids Today???

HometownGal
08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
OMG - I was sickened beyond belief reading this article. :mad: :mad:

http://www.asylum.com/2009/08/13/why-do-young-boys-abuse-animals/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl4|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asylum.com%2F2009% 2F08%2F13%2Fwhy-do-young-boys-abuse-animals%2F

Why Do Young Boys Abuse Animals?

For a long while now people have been quick to blame music, film and video games for youth violence, but we're not sure how to explain the seeming increase in stories about kids brutalizing random animals.

In the latest upsetting tale, from Newfoundland, three kids chased down a baby moose and beat it with sticks so badly wildlife officials had to put it down. Witnesses said the three boys had been chasing the moose around on their bicycles and hitting it until the calf was barely able to stand up.

"I can't understand why there would be such barbaric acts committed," said RCMP Sgt. Jacques Morneau. "I mean, the poor thing was crying out for its mother. The officers were very discouraged about the whole thing when they returned."

The three kids are all under 15 and may be facing criminal charges. Read more stories that make us worried for boyhood today.

And they're not alone. We all remember the furor about a year ago with the kids who made the cat torture video that was posted on YouTube. An 18-year-old in Florida went one step further and has been charged with killing 19 cats, some of which he had to break into homes to find. Meanwhile, in the U.K., a man walking his dog witnessed another group of kids stomping a newborn deer to death in a park recently.

Back in the day it was a surefire sign you were raising a little Hannibal Lecter if he shut a cat in an abandoned fridge, but stories like these seem to be becoming commonplace. Maybe every young boy has that moment when he accidentally hits a bird with a BB gun and spends the rest of the afternoon crying because he realizes what he's done. But with all this recent craziness, maybe not anymore.

fansince'76
08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Too bad mama moose wasn't around to trample the shit out of the little brats. :mad:

JHSilverback
08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Its called bad parenting...the parents are too lazy to teach their children morals or just have bad morals themselves...Heck I'm 21 and shocked how some kids are left to do whatever they want and the parents sit back and laugh at what their kids do instead of stepping in...things have changed since my day

Preacher
08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Back in THE day, kids would have a school yard fight, then go home and parents would pull out the belt.

The kid would remember what it was like to get whooped on... twice, and think "Do I really want to hurt someone or something else like that?"

Now-a-days, people come back from the dead on video-games, no one corporeally punishes their kid, and kids are treated as princes instead of being told to sit down, shut up, and respect the elders.

There was a reason for that, it was called acculturation and training.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Wow.

These kids need beat with sticks until they can't freaking walk.

A big part of what is wrong with kids these days is parents are afraid to whip their kid's behind. I got whipped a lot when I was a kid and I turned out pretty damn alright. But now if you threaten to whip your kid, someone calls the cops on you.

Also, it doesn't help that all these damn teenagers are having kids. No high school kid is mature enough to raise a child, I don't care if it's the smartest person in their class or the person who is the biggest outcast.

I hope these kids get charged as adults and spend some time in jail for their actions.

MACH1
08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Too bad mama moose wasn't around to trample the shit out of the little brats. :mad:

Exactly.....I think I'd rather be mauled by a bear than trampled by a moose. A moose doesn't quit if you play dead.

Set those kids loose in a cage with momma.

The Patriot
08-14-2009, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't blame 'kids today'. There have always been rotten eggs, but the stories can spread fast nowadays with advanced communications combined with people's rage. I sure hope this isn't a picture of kids today.

JHSilverback
08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I just think teens and people in their early 20s feeling as if they need to have kids as soon as possible when they themselves havent grown out of being kids and this could add to how some kids behave

Preacher
08-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I just think teens and people in their early 20s feeling as if they need to have kids as soon as possible when they themselves havent grown out of being kids and this could add to how some kids behave

Historically, having kids in your early twenties is not only natural, but probably a bit late.

No, the problem is WHEN they are having kids, it is much larger. It is the fact that the average 15 year old from a century ago was probably as mature as the average 30 year old today.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
08-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Now-a-days, people come back from the dead on video-games, no one corporeally punishes their kid, and kids are treated as princes instead of being told to sit down, shut up, and respect the elders.

As a guy from the "Gamer Generation", this is complete baloney! I grew up playing Doom and the old GTA games and what not, but I am not a barbarian nor a psychopath.

My parents taught be right from wrong and were firm believers in butt whoopings. Kids now get away with murder, parents do not have control of their kids. Either their parents are both working and they are "raised" by a babysitter or sibling who is just a kid themselves. (read Latch-Key Kids) Or, the parents themselves don't have any morals to pass along to their children. Kids now are so spoiled too, they think the world owes them a favor. When I see a 8 year old kid jabber jawing on their iPhone it makes me want to scream!

It is a common theme in society to blame someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Kids do it, adults do it, hell... even the government does it! :doh:

It's not my fault I shot the guy, Grand Theft Auto made me do it. It's not my fault I'm addicted to drugs, Snoop Dog made me do it. It's not my fault I'm fat, McDonalds made me this way. It's not my fault I fell off the roof trying to fly, Peter Pan said I could do it :banging:

My Grandfather's favorite saying growing up was "you make the bed, you sleep in it". It seems that no longer applies...

P.S.: If you knew me in real life I am HUGE on accountability and responsibility. Excuses just burn my ass! :mad::mad::mad:

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
As a guy from the "Gamer Generation", this is complete baloney! I grew up playing Doom and the old GTA games and what not, but I am not a barbarian nor a psychopath.

My parents taught be right from wrong and were firm believers in butt whoopings. Kids now get away with murder, parents do not have control of their kids. Either their parents are both working and they are "raised" by a babysitter or sibling who is just a kid themselves. (read Latch-Key Kids) Or, the parents themselves don't have any morals to pass along to their children. Kids now are so spoiled too, they think the world owes them a favor. When I see a 8 year old kid jabber jawing on their iPhone it makes me want to scream!

It is a common theme in society to blame someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Kids do it, adults do it, hell... even the government does it! :doh:

It's not my fault I shot the guy, Grand Theft Auto made me do it. It's not my fault I'm addicted to drugs, Snoop Dog made me do it. It's not my fault I'm fat, McDonalds made me this way. It's not my fault I fell off the roof trying to fly, Peter Pan said I could do it :banging:

My Grandfather's favorite saying growing up was "you make the bed, you sleep in it". It seems that no longer applies...

P.S.: If you knew me in real life I am HUGE on accountability and responsibility. Excuses just burn my ass! :mad::mad::mad:

:applaudit:

Couldn't agree more.

My favorite video game to this day was the original Mortal Kombat...which, as I'm sure you know, was used as the catalyst that eventually gave us our wonderful game rating system (I know GTA was the last straw, so to speak, but it started with MK). I remember the furor that was raised over that game, how it was "too violent" and would "cause our kids to become desensitized to violence." Um, yeah, sure. :coffee: I played that game A LOT and own all of the latest MK games on my home systems, and not once did I want to spear a guy or set him on fire like Scorpion or try to pull a guy's head and spine out like Sub-Zero. I'm a little tired of video games being blamed for all the ills with kids myself. If they want to know why little Billy is such a brat, how about they look in the mirror.

Oh, and speaking of 8 year olds with iPhones, there was a kid about 12 years old that sat in front of me at a Pens game last year that did nothing but sit and text on her iPhone all during the game. Why in the HELL does a kid that age need a cell phone at all, much less a $500 iPhone??? :doh:

Galax Steeler
08-14-2009, 07:30 AM
The problam today is that everytime you touch a child it is called child abuse. Kids today don't even get whipped in school. I say bring back the padlinigs and straighten kids out the way they should be.

J Dogg
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Bad parents = bad kids.

Face it, there are a lot of bad parents out there. I'm willing to bet anything that the parents of these kids don't think their kids did anything wrong. I see it all the time here in my current job as a military instructor. Most of the kids I interact with on a daily basis are good kids. But there are some whole are total d-bags and they're proud to tell you that they were raised that way.

And for the record, good parenting has NOTHING to do with whipping out the belt. I am so tired of hearing that old chestnut. Good parenting means being engaged with your kids and knowing what's going on with them. Our family has family game night once a week and we play our Wii as a family at least 2-3 nights a week. What kids crave is interaction with their parents and structure. When a kid lacks structure, they'll create it on their own.

That's why I wouldn't trade growing up where I did for anything. In my little hamlet of Western Pa, parents being involved with their kids was rule and not the exception. For all of our cool technology we have, we're less connected to one another than ever before. It's sad and if it doesn't change we're all screwed.

SCSTILLER
08-14-2009, 07:38 AM
I somewhat agree with Preach's first post, and Galax and JDogg above. There is no punishment anymore. I was in a grocery store and everywhere I went there was this heathen child and mother were, I swear, following me around the store. This kid was beyond bad, throwing things, screaming, kicking the shelves, etc. I couldn't beleive what I saw until I saw what the mother did. She grabbed little heathen child by the arm and said " I am counting to three! One.....two.....three." NOTHING, the child did not change his attitude. So, what does the mother do you ask, she starts counting to three again! There has to be a consequence when you get to three. If I ever let my mother get to three when I was growing up, I probably wouldn't be on this earth today.

I look at it this way, and this is kind of a cruel analogy so sorry if people take what I am saying out of context. If a kid sticks his/her hand on a hot stove it is going to hurt like hell and they will not do it again. I don't condone child abuse, but a little punishment would do some good

J Dogg
08-14-2009, 07:43 AM
There's punishment and then there's acting like an ogre. When I have seen parents physically punish their kids in public, it's almost always been for minor infractions and the kid almost always has that same look in their eyes of "here we go again."

Sorry, but my child has to stab someone in public before I'll physically harm them in public. To me, that's what the white trash parents did where I grew up. And besides, it all goes back to being engaged with your kids. When my kids act up, I pull them to side and talk to them. And guess what, they see what they're doing is wrong and they stop.

St33lersguy
08-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Send the kids to juvy

stlrtruck
08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Here's what is wrong with kids today:

Parents are no longer allowed to physically punish their kids - aka use the whoopin' stick. They have been told for at least 2 decades now that it's not ok for your parents to use corporal punishment. So this is what we get. Children that grow up out of control, lose respect for themselves, for their parents, for their elders, and so-on.

Before too long 7 year olds will be stealing their parent's car because they don't want to go to church. Oh wait, my bad!

Yes there is a fine line between physical discipline and abuse but damn if my daddy ever missed an opportunity to let me know I really screwed up. And I'll be damned if I'll let my daughter walk through life without knowing the same!

HometownGal
08-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree that there is a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse. Hell - if I looked at my parents crooked when I was a kid, dared to disrespect them or the good and honorable values they instilled in me, I would get my ass beat and I deserved it. The belt, stick, shoe, flyswatter (those fookers HURT!) back-scratcher - whatever my Mom could grab fast and in a hurry. Today, she would be jailed. My kids got their hineys cracked when they needed it and when my 9 year old grandson was a little younger and stepped out of line when in MY home, he got a swat across his tush or a tap in the mouth.

Anyone - whether a child or an adult - who intentionally harms an innocent animal (or child) should get their ass kicked from here to Timbuktoo - no questions asked. Period.

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Rep for this! :hatsoff:

Can't say it any better, if people can't distinguish whats allowed in entertainment(whether it be music, movies, or games) from real life they are a god damn liar. This is like all those people that blame crimes on marijuana despite the fact marijuana is not ever capable in the slightest of causing that kind behavior. Other than slurring some words or being hungry, nothing off the wall. Beer will make you do stupider things than weed will...

But still. People blame it like they do everything else for why they can't behave. And the reason is quiet simple. If you can make the court think your the victim they will give you a slap on the wrist for whatever you did.

beSteelmyheart
08-14-2009, 03:55 PM
It all boils down to stupid human trash having children for all of the wrong reasons. People should have to qualify to have children to prove their worthiness as parents, not just any dumb girl who wants a kid to save a marriage or get revenge on some man who rejected her, or to get more welfare.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:18 PM

First... you took my post in a direction I did not intend. I was simply talking about how we devalue life... and that is one part of a much larger issue.

However, in response to what you DID post... The distinction I make... and you ALSO made it in your post... is the fact that you had parents to teach you the difference. To guide you. I too am VERY big on personal responsibility. However, I ALSO understand that kids have to be guided. When i saw something on TV, and I tried to mimic it cause I thought it was funny, my mother put the smack down on me. I learned very fast that TV and videogames WERE NOT reality, nor was it funny to MIMIC it in reality.

When you have kids that do NOT have PARENTAL GUIDANCE, that won't correct them for doing wrong, and will not teach them that it is not funny or cool to mimic what they see on a screen, then you get kids that do very idiot things. The facts are out there.

It is out there in the kid who killed his younger sibling replicating a wrestling move from a video game.

The hundreds of kids who break arms, legs, etc, trying to replicate skateboard/snowboard moves on video games,

etc. etc.

IS IT THE VIDEO GAME'S FAULT? NO. It is the Parent's fault for letting those who are too young or to little mental faculty play the game. But to completely exhonerate video games is wrong.

After all, the military uses high tech video games for a specific reason... as do the police in many counties... To mold and cut down reaction time.

Again, right and mature mental faculty is needed-- and that is the parent's responsibility.

That is not an excuse, that is an honest assessment of the situation, as was my first post. I don't look for cheap excuses.... they never solve problems.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Because their Fathers don't have Leather Belts to Beat their Sorry Arses with when they do something against the Public Good.

My father had a Stick...a large stick...he placed it in my room when I was about 11 years old...he said..."See this stick...when you turn 18, I'm going to beat the shiiit out of you with this stick for all the bad stuff you do."

Guess what...I was a good kid. When I turned 18, my Pop commended me on my good behavior and we had a beer together. He only ever booted my arse once.

I played every video game in the world, played army, shot people with toy guns, did all that crap...but Knew if I screwed up...Pop was going to take it out on me with the Stick.

That's the problem.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

It was applicable then, and it still works today.

Oh, and I hope Dr. Spock is burning in a particularly hot spot in Hell today for all the damage he did.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

It was applicable then, and it still works today.

Oh, and I hope Dr. Spock is burning in a particularly hot spot in Hell today for all the damage he did.

Ding ding ding...

Though I do find it interesting that you are quoting from scripture there Revs... :chuckle:

Preacher
08-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Because their Fathers don't have Leather Belts to Beat their Sorry Arses with when they do something against the Public Good.

My father had a Stick...a large stick...he placed it in my room when I was about 11 years old...he said..."See this stick...when you turn 18, I'm going to beat the shiiit out of you with this stick for all the bad stuff you do."

Guess what...I was a good fcking kid. When I turned 18, my Pop commended me on my good behavior and we had a beer together. He only ever booted my arse once.

I played every video game in the world, played army, shot people with toy guns, did all that crap...but Knew if I fcked up...Pop was going to take it out on me with the Stick.

That's the problem.

Bingo. They go hand in hand. One WILL have the influence if the other doesn't. And 99 out of 100 times, the HUMAN will have the influence over the non-human source . . . but that also means the human has to teach a respect for life (or just a respect for your neighbor, which roughly translates the same in a kids brain).

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Ding ding ding...

Though I do find it interesting that you are quoting from scripture there Revs... :chuckle:

Why? I went to church for 16 years...I learned a lot of good things there especially about having a moral code. I also believe in God...

Just not a fan of organized religion...

Preacher
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Why? I went to church for 16 years...I learned a lot of good things there especially about having a moral code. I also believe in God...

Just not a fan of organized religion...

Hmmm... We may have to have another one of those marathon threads... :wink02:

Cause after all, I hate religion too.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:17 PM
The season is starting! We have other things to discuss, like how Bruce Arians is the worst OC in the league and how much more WE know than the Steelers coaches and FO!

Preacher
08-14-2009, 06:19 PM
The season is starting! We have other things to discuss, like how Bruce Arians is the worst OC in the league and how much more WE know than the Steelers coaches and FO!

:rofl:

Ok... we'll hold off until next offseason!!

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
:rofl:

Ok... we'll hold off until next offseason!!

Oh, and Mendenhall is a BUST! Kuhn to the HOF? No way, dude, Isaac Redmon is the new "Man", man!

JackHammer
08-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I agree that kids need a whoopin every now and then when discipline needs to be instilled, but in the case of violent kids/adolescents beating them IS NOT the solution. It's not even close. Whether you're just giving them a good whippin or downright abusing them, NO FORM of violence is a proper disciplinary action against a violent kid. What you're basically doing is telling a kid, who is already showing violent tendencies, that violence solves problems. That's not very smart. Kids who do shit like this need psychiatric help, and if that doesn't work then they need to be locked up away from society so they can't hurt anyone.

HometownGal
08-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Hmmm... We may have to have another one of those marathon threads... :wink02:

Oh dear God - please nooooooo!!!!!!! I'd rather have bamboo shoots stuck under my fingernails!!! :horror:

I like your Dad's approach, Dino. My grandson is starting to misbehave and get a little mouthy and disrespectful towards his Mom - I just might suggest your Dad's idea to her. :drink:

Preacher
08-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Oh dear God - please nooooooo!!!!!!! I'd rather have bamboo shoots stuck under my fingernails!!! :horror:

I like your Dad's approach, Dino. My grandson is starting to misbehave and get a little mouthy and disrespectful towards his Mom - I just might suggest your Dad's idea to her. :drink:

Least those threads were, for the most part, respectful and thought through....

Come on HTG.... IT sure is better than 30 "Arians sucks threads" :chuckle:

HometownGal
08-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Least those threads were, for the most part, respectful and thought through....

Come on HTG.... IT sure is better than 30 "Arians sucks threads" :chuckle:

Maybe, but only by a hair. The religious threads around here were about as redundant as they come.

Preacher
08-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe, but only by a hair. The religious threads around here were about as redundant as they come.

A few of them where, admittedly. But ones about origins of faith and science vs. faith were pretty good, I thought.

Muppet13
08-15-2009, 08:23 PM
That is sick and wrong.

Edman
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it's not a matter of parents not beating their kids just for the hell of it.

It's just that they're not ALLOWED to without CYS or Social Services getting involved is partly at fault. Parents today are actually DISCOURAGED to beat their children. Parents are encouraged to spoil their children with gifts and are discouraged to do actual parenting. It's everywhere in society and media.

43Hitman
08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I give my son just about anything he wants. When he is bad he obviously wants an ass whooping so I give him one. He is also one of the most polite and respectful 6 year old's you'll ever meet.

HometownGal
08-16-2009, 09:30 PM
The parents of these rotten little brats need to enroll in the Irma Brown school:

en899MXOrvc

:laughing:

43Hitman
08-16-2009, 09:41 PM
The parents of these rotten little brats need to enroll in the Irma Brown school:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddd_1179848916

:rofl::sofunny::toofunny:

X-Terminator
08-17-2009, 12:25 AM

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddd_1179848916

When did my Mom get hired by Comedy Central? :toofunny:

stlrtruck
08-17-2009, 07:54 AM

Guess what...I was a good kid. When I turned 18, my Pop commended me on my good behavior and we had a beer together. He only ever booted my arse once.

I played every video game in the world, played army, shot people with toy guns, did all that crap...but Knew if I screwed up...Pop was going to take it out on me with the Stick.

That's the problem.

Is there anyway that I can get that stick from you?

steelreserve
08-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Back in the day it was a surefire sign you were raising a little Hannibal Lecter if he shut a cat in an abandoned fridge, but stories like these seem to be becoming commonplace. Maybe every young boy has that moment when he accidentally hits a bird with a BB gun and spends the rest of the afternoon crying because he realizes what he's done. But with all this recent craziness, maybe not anymore.

I think it's more like this kind of craziness has always been going on, but it's a lot easier to hear about it these days. You wouldn't hear about a lot of these weird/shocking stories outside of their local areas if it wasn't for the Internet. I think there are a lot of f***ed up people out there and always have been, and the information age has just shined the spotlight on them.

Steeldude
08-21-2009, 09:22 AM
desensitization and poor parenting = moronic youths of tomorrow.