PDA

View Full Version : plus-minus-push for cards game

Steely McSmash
08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Plus:

+ Ben played well
+ Sweed looked at least as good as Nate Washington
+ Legursky seemed to do pretty well in the middle
+ Wallace looked good at KR and WR. exceptional for a rook.
+ Burnett looked pretty good as well. The fumble is fixable I think. He made the catch clean and looked good at corner
+ Tank Summers looked good blocking and had some T impact
+ Redmond looked really good.
+Sepulveda!
+Dixon showed some good development, didn't take off running and made soem good throws.

Push

* Mendenhall didn't show much vs first team. No serious screw ups though.
*Vincent would have made the team as a 4th RB in the past. Not sure there is a place for him

Minus

- Starks and Kemo -- Left side of the o-line let three guys at Ben in two series. One went unblocked -- Looked like Kemo missed pickup on stunt. On others Starks looked like he was stuck in molassass

- 1st string offense looked a bit rusty. Not alarming but would have been nice to see them march down the field.

- Carey Davis didn't show anything. Between Redmond, Tank, McHugh and TE Davis he hasa challenge on his hands. I hope the coaches see it that way.

-4th QB Reilley -- didn't play? injured? under wraps?

mmalone
08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
- Carey Davis didn't show anything. Between Redmond, Tank, McHugh and TE Davis he hasa challenge on his hands. I hope the coaches see it that way.

-4th QB Reilley -- didn't play? injured? under wraps?

Redman put nails in Davis's chances. Vincent may not get anymore time like he did last night.

McHugh seems to me as PS material...

TE Davis, Redman and Summers should be moving up the ladder.
cant wait till next week.

KeiselPower99
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
McHugh cant be on the Ps he has played to many games. I wouldve liked to have seen Rielly.

08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
McHugh will be the starting fullback/H-back on Sept. 10. He is easily the best blocking back we have.

WeegiesWarriors
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't share the same opinion about Dixon... although I DVR'ed the 4th Q. and haven't seen it yet. The 3rd Q. I watched and I thought he made a bad decision on a couple passes and his arm strength did not impress me one bit. Yes he was finding some open WRs against 3rd Stringers, but I don't like his throwing mechanics and the ball seems to be lobbed even on short curl routes where you expect to see an NFL pass on a line.

He primarily made his name in college by beating an overrated, slow Michigan team at the beginning of a slide into the abyss its in now. Then put up great numbers against the PAC 10 defenses which other than USC leaves a lot to be desired. Running college QBs force safeties up because college front 7's typically can't handle them. The result are wide open WRs running flies and posts with no help deep. You don't get to see just how good of a thrower these guys really are when they're throwing to guys 10 yards in the open.

My point is I've seen this song and dance before. A productive running college QB who made a name against Michigan who we tried and insisted to make into an NFL QB. Dixon has to "wow" me to erase those thoughts. He hasn't. He'd be better served being ARE II.

AllD
08-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Dixon needs more weight and strength. His spirals are tight and he was poised in the pocket, but he is still a couple of years away from being a #2.

That being said, Kurt Warner is one hit away from retirement and Leinart is a bust. Hopefully Mendy isn't a Leinart.

Ziggy Hood has a good sack dance.

The Steelers are deep at WR and Special Teams looked great.

Redmond makes the team and Davis is gone.

Don't look for the Steelers to blow out every opponent as some other teams have already made statements. Just watch them figure out ways to win in the 4thQ- just like the 1970s.

truesteelerfan
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I was impressed with Dixon last night! He looked over the field to make the right throw....and then WOW! What a fast delivery! Wish Ben could get the ball away that quickly once his decision was made (depending on if he actually had time to sit in the pocked the way Dixon did)...Great job of our backups on the OL...or maybe the Cards 2nd line D is just that bad?

Scott La Rock
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Dixon reminds me of Randall Cunningham !

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Dixon started slow and got better as he got in rhythm, but I do think he's still year away. Glad we have Batch....