PDA

View Full Version : My Stance on Mendenhall

BlastFurnace
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
His body of work is very...very small.

I'm not a coach, scout, former NFL player, etc. I have no idea what his talent level based upon what I have seen so far, so I am going to wait until the regular season to see what we really have with him.

I learned my lesson last year after the Buffalo preseason game...when I said that the Defense would be a problem last year. I wasn't the only one with that concern on this board, but non-the-less, it was one of mine. I couldn't have been more wrong. I will wait until the season...see what he does in actual game time...and see what we have then.

Something tells me that we will see the reason we drafted him and he will not be the second coming of Walter Abercrombie or Tim Worley.

StainlessStill
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Mendy looked great last year in pre-season, minus the fumbles, and he looked like he had that IT factor with the little time he started against Baltimore. The only problem I see is that he runs TOO HIGH and turns his back too much to the defense. He needs to learn how to square his shoulders and get low, esp between the tackles. He's coachable and think he's going to turn it on.

simonsfs30
08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
i think hes a "good football player" he broke tackles he didnt get many yards cause he needed to break like 5 tackles per run to gain more than 5 yards so dont start calling him a bust he will be OK

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
He's coachable and think he's going to turn it on.

This is where I differ ...

"Coachable" is not a good word to use on RB's.

"Instinctive"

"Sudden"

"Explosive"

"Great vision"

Those are the words I want to see.

We are all "coachable".

Redman has what Mendenhall lacks ... including a "body of work".

Stay tuned ....

:popcorn:

jev7452
08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
he is still pretty raw but i feel like he definitely has the potential to become, if not great, a dependable running back.. as long as he doesnt keep getting injured like willie has in the past seasons

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM

"Instinctive"

"Sudden"

"Explosive"

"Great vision"

We are all "coachable".

Stay tuned ....

Sure, and Mendenhall was running against starters while Redman was running against a lot of guys who will be washing cars about a month from now. A bit premature.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Sure, and Mendenhall was running against starters while Redman was running against a lot of guys who will be washing cars about a month from now. A bit premature.

I would have much liked to see Rashard make TD's on those 2 TD runs fansince'76!

Much hunch is he wouldn't have .... 3rd stringers all the same!

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 11:14 AM

... and for what it's worth, Redman had guys blocking for him who will be washing cars in a month. And he also looked better than the other guys who will be washing cars in a month.

Yeah, it's premature to pronounce him the next Messiah, but I'm at least excited to see whether he can keep it up against a real defense.

Does getting excited about the first preseason game qualify me as an obsessed fan? I'm a little worried.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I would have much liked to see Rashard make TD's on those 2 TD runs fansince'76!

Much hunch is he wouldn't have .... 3rd stringers all the same!

I agree Redman did look good, and I'd love to see him get a shot against the opponent's starters in a goal line situation, as apparently he was the only RB we have who could score against our D in a goal line drill as well. I'm just taking a wait-and-see approach for the time being.

steeltheone
08-14-2009, 11:19 AM
It really is not the norm for a first round pick RB to lack 'it" ...I'm a little worried.

truesteelerfan
08-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Not very impressed with him yet- Hope he can do something great to show us why he should be the man next year. If he simply has another year of mediocrity....we gotta consider doing everything we can to keep FWP.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Not very impressed with him yet- Hope he can do something great to show us why he should be the man next year. If he simply has another year of mediocrity....we gotta consider doing everything we can to keep FWP.

How is landing on the IR in one's first start of one's career equal to a "year of mediocrity?"

truesteelerfan
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Your absolutely right....I probably spoke too quickly. I guess its just a matter of not seeing anything "special" about him yet. I would love to be wrong!

KeiselPower99
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
It really is not the norm for a first round pick RB to lack 'it" ...I'm a little worried.
Ki Jana Carter? Curtis Enis?

mmalone
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM

redman knocks out vincent
summers knocks out davis

parker, mendy and moore play..

4rb and a 1fb

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
summers knocks out davis

4rb and a 1fb

I agree
Parker
Moore
Mendy
Redman
Summers

McHugh will be TE #3.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Your absolutely right....I probably spoke too quickly. I guess its just a matter of not seeing anything "special" about him yet. I would love to be wrong!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be short with my response. I'm hoping he shows more in the next couple of games as well. :hope:

mmalone
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I agree

cool. now if i could get you to agree that the teams we play setup the chess pieces on their offensive side. and ******** keeps setting up the checkers on our offensive side....:chuckle:

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
summers knocks out davis

4rb and a 1fb

I agree also!

100%

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm with FS'76 - I'm taking a wait and see approach with Mendenhall. Too soon to proclaim him a bust, just as it's too soon to annoint Isaac Redman the next Jerome Bettis.

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
With all do respect, the running game as a whole looked like crap last night! the O'line didn't knock anyone off the ball and allowed penetration on almost every run play. All Steeler RB's averaged around 3.0 yards per carry last night. I'm not down on Mendenhall and I'm not too hyped about Redman. We saw what Mendenhall could do in games last year, minus the fumbles, he looked good. I think he is going to be just fine. Redman as shown he's ready for the next level of competition, he is a step above the grocery baggers. But as Tomlin said, "it's all relative, I want to see how he does against varsity players, so to speak". As for Summers, he looked like a misplaced bowling ball, I think he's practice squad material.

Burghfan58
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM
While Mendenhall looked average at best last night, It's a bit too early to label him a bust. I thought the O-Line was getting beat off the snap. Legursky is our 3rd string center and he's responsible for calling blocking assignments. I believe he will come around in due time.

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
While Mendenhall looked average at best last night, It's a bit too early to label him a bust. I thought the O-Line was getting beat off the snap. Legursky is our 3rd string center and he's responsible for calling blocking assignments. I believe he will come around in due time.

Good point! it was Legursky starting at center for us last night. The O'line didn't look very good in either aspect of the game last night, Pass protection or Run blocking. But I do think they will be better this year then last when healthy.

steeltheone
08-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Ki Jana Carter? Curtis Enis?

My point exactly....

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm with FS'76 - I'm taking a wait and see approach with Mendenhall. Too soon to proclaim him a bust, just as it's too soon to annoint Isaac Redman the next Jerome Bettis.

X-Terminator ... man! ... how can I get our fanbase off this "next Jerome Bettis" schnied everyone is on?

For gosh sakes!

There ain't gonna be a "next Jerome Bettis" ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He retired after 2005.

It is 2009 and we are still talking about the "next Jerome Bettis" ...... :wave:

We don't need a "next Jerome Bettis" ........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bettis was so damn unique in his style and his physical makeup that we will NEVER have the "next Jerome Bettis"!

We need the "next Eric Dickerson"........ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the "next LaDainian Tomlinson" .......... !!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the "next Fred Taylor" ...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Redman, he is damn close in style to Fred Taylor! ... damn close!

He's big!

He's rangey!

He has great vision!

He has extraordinary glide!

He has great balance at impact!

This guy is going to be a great one!

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
X-Terminator ... man! ... how can I get our fanbase off this "next Jerome Bettis" schnied everyone is on?

For gosh sakes!

There ain't gonna be a "next Jerome Bettis" ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He retired after 2005.

It is 2009 and we are still talking about the "next Jerome Bettis" ...... :wave:

We don't need a "next Jerome Bettis" ........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bettis was so damn unique in his style and his physical makeup that we will NEVER have the "next Jerome Bettis"!

We need the "next Eric Dickerson"........ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the "next LaDainian Tomlinson" .......... !!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the "next Fred Taylor" ...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Redman, he is damn close in style to Fred Taylor! ... damn close!

He's big!

He's rangey!

He has great vision!

He has extraordinary glide!

He has great balance at impact!

This guy is going to be a great one!

Look he's good but he's not that good. He was playing against 3rd stringers I dont like we can stress that enough. Mendy was dealing with starters, they have some stuff in common. Sure the dude has talent and could go far. But until I see him trampling starters, no dice.

Mendy didn't have a lot to work with last night compared to Redman.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Look he's good but he's not that good. He was playing against 3rd stringers I dont like we can stress that enough. Mendy was dealing with starters, they have some stuff in common. Sure the dude has talent and could go far. But until I see him trampling starters, no dice.

Mendy didn't have a lot to work with last night compared to Redman.

He also played side by side with 3rd string lineman, a 3rd string QB, and wide receivers down the depth chart.

~Anywho, i thought Isaac looked surprisingly good on most of his runs, but he looked just a bit sluggish? Even with his size? What's his 40 time anyone know?

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Those were two gaping holes Redman ran through last night. I'm more excited about Foster then Redman at the moment. Mendenhall was met with opposition on every run just about. They were either in the backfield or he was met at the line of scrimmage. I hope Redman does answer our short yardage woes, it could only mean good things for the Steelers, but.... like what's been said, I need to see more.

scsteeler
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM

I think it is too early to give Mendy the starting Nod like some many that want to get rid of Parker because the guy had a few injuries. I say Parker will be in the top 3 rushing if he does not get hurt this year.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
For those of you who dont know, the catch with Isaac Redman is that he's slow. He runs a 4.76 40 yard dash.

Slanted August
08-14-2009, 03:27 PM
For those of you who dont know, the catch with Isaac Redman is that he's slow. He runs a 4.76 40 yard dash.

That was driving me nuts! Not that I am comparing his running style to a young Duce in the Eagle years where he ran his a$$ off but would you know Duces' 40 coming out of college?

scsteeler
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I think Redman will be used for short yardage so his speed will not be a factor.

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Redman will be used for short yardage so his speed will not be a factor.

But you can't be a number one back with that kind of speed, as some have stated he will be on this site.

SteelLloyd95
08-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree with Andy and BurghFan.....Mendy's performance is a direct reflection of the poor run blocking last night.
Also, there are two other factors...in my opinion the Arians single-back running game makes it very difficult to run the ball....especially with our average to below average offensive line. it is quite simply a passing oriented offense.
FInally, in preseason, the runs are extremely vanilla and easily blown up by starting LBs.
Mendy gained as much yardage as Parker would have last night.

SteelLloyd95
08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
With all due respect, the draft is over so I think 40 times are pointless right now.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Sigh...

Before this game, Mendy was the heir apparent and Willie P. was on his way out.

After this game, Mendy is a bust and Redman/Vincent is the heir apparent.

Talk about being fickle.

This isn't a fast-food drive up window. You don't get to order a player and have him served up. He has to be DEVELOPED. THEY ALL DO.

Or do we forget so quickly about Harrison, Terry Bradshaw, Santonio Holmes, Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, etc. etc. who ALL looked like busts the first few years.. or never-was's.

scsteeler
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
But you can't be a number one back with that kind of speed, as some have stated he will be on this site.

did you read my statement? I will say it again SHORT YARDAGE BACK AND NOT A NUMBER #1 RUNNING BACK.

Short Yardage definition to me means that you come in to get 1 or 2 yards maybe 3 and on the goal line that is it. Willie P will be fine as the starter.

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
did you read my statement? I will say it again SHORT YARDAGE BACK AND NOT A NUMBER #1 RUNNING BACK.

Short Yardage definition to me means that you come in to get 1 or 2 yards maybe 3 and on the goal line that is it. Willie P will be fine as the starter.

Thought you were in tune with how this kinda all got started. My comment wasn't directed towards you, but rather a feed off of yours. Some think Redman is going to be the next Fred Taylor. I thought it would be nice to mention, not with that speed he's not. Therefor, he cannot be an every down back. I would love it if he were the goal line back! we need a short yardage bruiser. If Redman is the guy, great for the Steelers.

Aussie_steeler
08-14-2009, 05:26 PM
I would have thought that the first priority for the running back coaches would have been to get Rashard back into his first game in a long time and let him build some confidence.

When I say confidence I mean the chance to remove any lingering doubts that someone has when returning to their first game after a season ending injury. Rashard ran tight lines that were going to result in collision to test his mental state. This game was only ever going to be about jumping back on the bike and restoring confidence.

StainlessStill
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM

"Instinctive"

"Sudden"

"Explosive"

"Great vision"

We are all "coachable".

Stay tuned ....

I understand you can't teach explosiveness, great vision, or instinct, but like you said, every player is coachable and some of the things he needs to work on comes from a coaching standpoint. Running into the teeth of the defense high is a problem most backs have, thus not making a team. With it in the back of his head, Mendy needs to be coached to the certain point to where it becomes instinct as far as running between the tackles is concerned.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 05:42 PM
With all due respect, the draft is over so I think 40 times are pointless right now.

It's also football and not a track meet. 40 times are the most overrated measurables there are in evaluating football players, IMO.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:47 PM
It's also football and not a track meet. 40 times are the most overrated measurables there are in evaluating football players, IMO.

I think they are somewhat important... after all, you don't want a wide receiver that runs a 5.8 forty, regardless of how good he can catch.

But I agree with the heart of your post. There is a MAJOR difference between lining up and running down a track, and engaging you brain, skills, and natural talent, fusing it with your will, and fighting off an opponent for a ball.

I always go back to the Sutter Brothers in Hockey. They were the best No skill, no speed, no flash hockey players... and somehow, they often beat the best players on the ice to the puck... were able to put the moves on people... and every once in a while, skated by the opposite coach when he was on the ice and dumped him on his butt :chuckle:

Every coach wants a Sutter on his team. Seems to me, Hines Ward is that same kind of player. There are many recievers with much better talent and skills... but there are very few better receivers out there.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
If Mendy was in against the Cards 3rd string scrubs, he'd have looked like the second coming of Emmitt Smith...and I mean Smith circa 1995 when he rushed for almost 1800 yards and 25 TD's, NOT the Cardinal Emmitt Smith)

Geesh...

Aussie_steeler
08-14-2009, 09:09 PM
I just watched the game again and I honestly cant see why Mendenhall is being savaged by some. He ran behind a weakened O line whose timing and cohesion was obviously off. He made some good runs that moved the chains and got busted up when the lineman let men through.

I thought I must have missed some really tragic plays of his but I struggle to see where he stunk it up. ( or is he just the designated scapegoat this preseason??)

ANDYMISIU
08-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I just watched the game again and I honestly cant see why Mendenhall is being savaged by some. He ran behind a weakened O line whose timing and cohesion was obviously off. He made some good runs that moved the chains and got busted up when the lineman let men through.

I thought I must have missed some really tragic plays of his but I struggle to see where he stunk it up. ( or is he just the designated scapegoat this preseason??)

At least someone gets it! if you didn't see the poor run blocking during the game, then you weren't watching.

Also, I would hope that Steeler 3rd stringers are better then Cardinal 3rd stringers! I would hope that we would have better depth accross our team.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 09:41 PM

yeah but to what point? I'm almost 16 and i run a faster 40 than Redman.

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 09:42 PM
If Mendy was in against the Cards 3rd string scrubs, he'd have looked like the second coming of Emmitt Smith...and I mean Smith circa 1995 when he rushed for almost 1800 yards and 25 TD's, NOT the Cardinal Emmitt Smith)

Geesh...

Mendy against starters: 9 Atts; 24yards; TD 0; LG 7
Redman against 3rd/4th stringers: 10 Atts; 32yards; TD 2; LG 13

Im going to say Mendy did more with less to work with. Granted he didn't get any TD's, Redman was running through mediocre players with Summers throwing up blocks for him.

Steeldude
08-14-2009, 09:46 PM
i wasn't impressed at all from the little i saw of mendenhall last year. he was slow to the hole and ran too upright. perhaps that will change this year.

but all of it is irrelevant when the porous and weak O-line can't open holes. will it be another year of watching 2 to 5 defenders in the steelers' backfield soon after the snap?

redman will be cut or placed on the PS.

ricksteelers55
08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
A couple of weeks(see months) ago i saw some people on here saying that we had one of the best backfield in the NFL with Parker,Mendenhall and Moore and also the young Summers out of the draft.

And suddenly everyone is putting their faith between the hands of an unproven undrafted division 2 college football RB....

Believe it or not I think our best RB on the roster is Mewelde Moore.

He will once again prove us his worth this year,you'll see

ricksteelers55
08-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Yup I had the same thoughts,I thought he played well.But hey people in here are waiting for the next Jerome Bettis.You have to be pretty darn good to live to these expectations :p

BlastFurnace
08-14-2009, 10:13 PM
This is the Mendenhall that I believe he is. He's a good RB guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cxAs7mGSs&feature=related

steeltheone
08-15-2009, 02:09 AM
I have seen nothing of this guy yet to think he was a steal for us in the draft...agreed?

Preacher
08-15-2009, 04:33 AM
I have seen nothing of this guy yet to think he was a steal for us in the draft...agreed?

After just watching and breaking everything down in another thread... I gotta admit, Mendy seemed quicker than I first gave him credit for. I think it is still way to early to say anything about the kid... but he DOES have upside.

It's like buying stock. You don't know if you got a steal or not until 5-10 years later... and then maybe. Only when it is over do you really know.

X-Terminator
08-15-2009, 06:31 AM

Like I said before, it's too soon to say anything positive or negative about him. His grade is "incomplete" right now. He simply has not had enough work yet - roughly 60 total carries is not nearly enough to make a determination one way or the other.

Galax Steeler
08-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Like I said before, it's too soon to say anything positive or negative about him. His grade is "incomplete" right now. He simply has not had enough work yet - roughly 60 total carries is not nearly enough to make a determination one way or the other.

Well said X-Terminator I think he needs a little more time and he will develope just nicely.

HometownGal
08-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Exactly. Only time will tell if this kid has what it takes to be an honored member of the Steelers backfield. I'm in wait and see mode here.

Sheriff66
08-15-2009, 07:53 AM
The run blocking Thursday night was putrid, I think people need to sit back, relax and give the kid half a season at least before forming an opinion.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm pulling for Mendenhall too. I hope his light goes off soon! His style is very similar to Parker's style ... straight ahead hit the hole fast with alot of speed and try to win a foot race.

After watching him run the ball last year and this year so far ... Mendenhall is a big fast straight ahead runner ... period!

He only runs well in space, much like Parker. Every one of those college runs on that clip are in space and straight ahead runs.

His only move is a spin move.

He has no lateral movement whatsoever. He's straight ahead! Much like Parker.

He doesn't run in tight spaces very well at all.

He goes down after the first contact more often than not. Much like Parker.

He'd be a great RB in a one cut scheme such as the one Shanahan used to run in Denver. He's also more built for the Cowher era Steelers rushing style ... where a FB is leading the way.

But in the Steelers spread offense, Mendenhall will not get the kind of space he thrived on at Illinois. Even Parker has issues with this new offense, as he publically protested about it last year. Parker too is a straight ahead rusher with little lateral movement and alot of straight ahead speed.

I'm pulling for Mendenhall. But he's not there yet! He needs to do a better job breaking tackles and getting to the second level.

mmalone
08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
But in the Steelers spread offense, Mendenhall will not get the kind of space he thrived on at Illinois. Even Parker has issues with this new offense, as he publically protested about it last year. Parker too is a straight ahead rusher with little lateral movement and alot of straight ahead speed.

You design an offensive plan to work with your players.??

Or do you shove your players into a plan they are not made for.. thats stubborn and arrogant. hmmmmm.

if you do it BA's way. then arians should trade/cut the people that dont fit into his great #23 offensive warship. then find people that will work in his scheme.

Our run offense looks like everyone has a sack of concrete strapped on their back.
they have tremendous speed and have no plan to get out of the backfield...

it is frustrating...

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 08:57 AM
You design an offensive plan to work with your players.??

Or do you shove your players into a plan they are not made for.. thats stubborn and arrogant. hmmmmm.

if you do it BA's way. then arians should trade/cut the people that dont fit into his great #23 offensive warship. then find people that will work in his scheme.

Our run offense looks like everyone has a sack of concrete strapped on their back.
they have tremendous speed and have no plan to get out of the backfield...

it is frustrating...

I agree!

Look at DeAngelo Williams. He ran in Fichtner's offense at Memphis State with great success. How does Parker and Mendenhall's running styles compare to Williams?

I'm not sure the answer because i haven't watched alot of Williams at Carolina.

But Parker is not looking like he's getting a new contract at this point in time. And Mendenhall is maybe a hit, maybe a miss at this point.

There are a lot of better RB's than Mendenhall in the NFL right now. A whole lot of them!

revefsreleets
08-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I posted this in the other "I hate Mendy" thread...

I'm confused by one thing here: If Redmon has all these intangibles, such field vision and explosion, why didn't he rush for 100 yards on 10 carries instead of only 32?

I will give him some credit...the competition he faced in game conditions is clearly the best he's ever seen, but the fact remains probably 85% of the guys he saw will either be out of the NFL or on practice squads by the second week of September, while the guys MENDENHALL faced will all be starting.

The bottom line? If Mendenhall was playing against that level of competition, I expect he'd have had better numbers, looked MORE powerful and explosive, and would also have scored a couple times. It's extremely difficult to judge a back's performance without first filtering it against the competition level he's playing at.

Also, I EXPECT Mendy to be a little tentative at first. He's not playing to secure a position, and he's just coming off a season ending injury. I'm not suggesting he's just going to phone it in, but I also think he's more interested in knocking rust off and acclimating himself back into the game. He's probably going at about 80% right now, and that's probably with the coaches blessing.

Meanwhile Redmon is going at 110%, leaving it all on the filed every single play, desperately trying to make a roster. He earned himself some looks earlier in the game next week against a whole tier higher competition. I expect if he makes it up into the starting lineup in preseason a lot of the luster will rub off and his clear competitive advantage will level out.

That's not to say he isn't a powerful runner, and he may BE able to fill the role of short yardage/goal line back. But there is way too little data to go on at this point in that regard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Remember when Dante Brown had a nice few games in the preseason of 2004?? Way too early to anoint Redman as the 2nd coming.

The kid showed well and has a shot at being the #4 RB, if not the practice squad.

7SteelGal43
08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Lakelander, don't fault the fans for still missing their future HOFer and fan favorite. Don't blame them for looking for a big bruising back who can push through on short yardage as well as bounce of a defensive end and go for 15, 20 yards. We are well aware he's gone, but we'll never forgert 36.

xbroughneck
08-15-2009, 01:25 PM
With all do respect, the running game as a whole looked like crap last night! the O'line didn't knock anyone off the ball and allowed penetration on almost every run play. All Steeler RB's averaged around 3.0 yards per carry last night. I'm not down on Mendenhall and I'm not too hyped about Redman. We saw what Mendenhall could do in games last year, minus the fumbles, he looked good. I think he is going to be just fine. Redman as shown he's ready for the next level of competition, he is a step above the grocery baggers. But as Tomlin said, "it's all relative, I want to see how he does against varsity players, so to speak". As for Summers, he looked like a misplaced bowling ball, I think he's practice squad material.

+1

And again, I'm going to say that Bruce Arian doesn't know how to coach an offense to consistently move the ball on the ground. Our offensive production lives or dies with Ben in spite of what Arians draws up. It's easy to pick on the starting O's blocking ablility. I saw Tomlin yelling at both the Oline AND Bruce Arians that night.

Mendy will be fine.

Preacher
08-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Actually, that isn't true.

The O line did knock people back a couple times.... one time blew the ENTIRE defense back 2 yards off the ball.

Matter of fact, the Defense got NO penetration on run plays pretty much teh entire game. It was all LOS battles. Only once did a LB come through to get the RB... and that time it was Mendy's fault for trying to cut inside instead of going around the outside.

The biggest problem is the simplest one to fix. Mendy just has to play more and make better decisions. For all intents and purposes, he is a rookie, and made some rookie decisions on which hole to hit the night before last. That is it. After watching him, a second time, I came away with a much better impression of him.

HometownGal
08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
+1

And again, I'm going to say that Bruce Arian doesn't know how to coach an offense to consistently move the ball on the ground. Our offensive production lives or dies with Ben in spite of what Arians draws up. It's easy to pick on the starting O's blocking ablility. I saw Tomlin yelling at both the Oline AND Bruce Arians that night.

Some of you people must be blind as bats. :shake02: :banging:

I think Preacher summed it up very well above, so no need for me to repeat what he said.

ANDYMISIU
08-15-2009, 02:45 PM

The O line did knock people back a couple times.... one time blew the ENTIRE defense back 2 yards off the ball.

Matter of fact, the Defense got NO penetration on run plays pretty much teh entire game. It was all LOS battles. Only once did a LB come through to get the RB... and that time it was Mendy's fault for trying to cut inside instead of going around the outside.

The biggest problem is the simplest one to fix. Mendy just has to play more and make better decisions. For all intents and purposes, he is a rookie, and made some rookie decisions on which hole to hit the night before last. That is it. After watching him, a second time, I came away with a much better impression of him.

Maybe I was watching something different, but from what I remember, Mendenhall was met in the backfield a few times.

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2009, 03:13 PM

The biggest problem is the simplest one to fix. Mendy just has to play more and make better decisions. For all intents and purposes, he is a rookie, and made some rookie decisions on which hole to hit the night before last. That is it. After watching him, a second time, I came away with a much better impression of him.i don't know preach... 87 yds on 31 attempts doesn't indictate much ownage of the trenches. then the numbers get a bit uglier if you factor in 13 of those 87 came on 1 run. .. :noidea:

Coach Mike Tomlin's take? "I would like to see us control the line of scrimmage a little better."

Shoes
08-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, we start early taking the heads off of players here. Can't imagine what would have been posted if we lost. I think I'll give Mendenhall more than a one pre-season game chance.

Preacher
08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
i don't know preach... 87 yds on 31 attempts doesn't indictate much ownage of the trenches. then the numbers get a bit uglier if you factor in 13 of those 87 came on 1 run. .. :noidea:

I know... I am not claiming we dominated the LOS. However, there was only once when the backfield was penetrated. Most of the times, Mendy was met either at the line, or one or two yards beyond the line.

Again, I think part of the reason we only got a few yards on runs is because we weren't setting them up with play-action passes. So the linebackers were flooding the lanes. Freezing the LB's with naked bootlegs and play action passes will open up the lanes and allow our RB's to get to the second level, IMO.

LIke I said before, that is all scheming, and no scheming is done in the first couple of games of the preseason.

I gotta say this though, their pass blocking was Immensily better than last year... (for these two series). Hope they keep that up and Ben keeps up his quick releases.

Preacher
08-15-2009, 04:31 PM

Some of you people must be blind as bats. :shake02: :banging:

I think Preacher summed it up very well above, so no need for me to repeat what he said.

SHE CALLED ME PREACHER!!! :jump::getdown::banana::applaudit:

I had to read it two or three times... because my mind was saying "Father", but my eyes were telling me that wasn't what the word was! :wink02:

7SteelGal43
08-16-2009, 01:33 AM
I agree!

Look at DeAngelo Williams. He ran in Fichtner's offense at Memphis State with great success. How does Parker and Mendenhall's running styles compare to Williams?

Actually, that'd be University of Memphis.