PDA

View Full Version : Lakelander's assessment of Preseason Game 1 ... ENJOY!

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Let me be curt here ...

Rashard Mendenhall lacks.

Isaac Redman has serious tools.

Now I'll elaborate ....

Isaac Redman IS the Steelers future at RB.

I know! I know! One preseason game against 3rd stringers is not enough to judge a player.

I know! I know! Mendenhall played against 1st stringers while Redman played against 3rd stringers!

STOP IT ALREADY!

Mendenhall lacks what Redman owns ...

And this is the laundry list I'm talking about ...

Both horizontal and vertical explosion.

Lateral movement at the line of scrimmage.

Suddenness.

A glide off the initial impact.

Elusiveness.

Escapability.

A wide base at the point of contact.

I'm going to go out on a limb here ....

Redman is a Fred Taylor clone in terms of all these attributes. He has serious talent and he possesses such a rare combination of natural instincts that it is only just a matter of time before Mike Tomlin will be forced to contend with all that I just described as major differences between Redman and Mendenhall.

Now on to the rest of my analysis ...

Outstanding showing from a new class of Pittsburgh Steelers!

Quarterback

We saw a very solid performance from Dennis Dixon last night. He stood in the pocket, he was accurate, he was decisive. It's good to know we have a roster with 3 capable QB's. We are a unique NFL team to claim such a luxury. Ben needs more work to get in game shape but he certainly showed his instincts last night and showed them off quite well.

Here's the issue we all need to understand ... can the Steelers QB's get the ball far enought down field to connect with the deep threats we have opened way down there? Because I'm not seeing it! We need these guys to get better at throwing the deep balls.

Running Back

I look for Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, and Redman to stick. I look for Justin Vincent to find his way back onto the practice squad (if that is possible?). I look for Frank Summers to beat out Carey Davis as the teams designated fullback and special teams ace. Summers excelled last night in Carey Davis' role and made the very most of his opportunity. This is very warm news to many on these boards. ... Not the role many here had envisioned for Summers!

As I stated in my opening dialogue, it is going to be Redman ... not Mendenhall ... who becomes the Steelers future featured RB in 2010 and beyond. Save your criticisms of my bold prediction until next year please!

Wide Receiver

We saw what we needed to see ... right?

Sweed has that "something" for damn sure. O.K. he still drops a few. So does Terrell Owens! We are just going to have to deal with his occassional drops. But he certainly has that "something" ... he's a major league field presence and will be a nightmare for defenses in the "matchup" game with Hines and Santonio on the football field at the same time.

Shaun McDonald made his presence known and made this team with a prime demonstration of what the word "veteran" means. He is a fine acquisition and the WR battle is no longer a battle .... it will be Hines, Santonio, Limas, McDonald and .... Mike Wallace!!!!

Wallace has IT! ... what a freaking find! We just need our QB's to figure out how to throw a deep pass!

Steven Black looked decent too. Didn't see much from the others yet. They'll get their looks. But it is awfully hard to make a case for keeping 6 WR's. Let's hope there are no injuries to the FIVE. I hope the Steelers let Black, Williams, Grisham, Nance and Baker get the majority of preseason game reps from here on out! Our FIVE are special! Keep them healthy from here!

Tight End

They threw to McHugh way down field last night. That was interesting. The pass was errant but he was open. Heath, Spaeth and McHugh is a fantastic group and we are set at TE, as you all well knew!

Offensive Line

The first unit was somewhat suspect against Arizona's top defense. Ben got hit right out of the gates on his first pass attempt, and had to scramble in the pocket. Geez how we need this group to get suddenly better!

The group that played in the 2nd half was stellar! I was extremely impressed with their pass blocking. Hills, Foster, Shipley, Urbik and Capizzi were outstanding as a pass blocking unit! Dixon had all the time he needed in the pocket. They also accounted for two red zone rushing TD's. Very solid outing for this group!

It is clear to me we have enough bodies ... now we just need to gel a starting group out of all of them. This could take some time people. But I feel well enough watching the second group to believe we have a better group of horses this year than we had last year!

Jeremy Parquet was penalized twice and will be in Tomlin's doghouse from here on out. He is the lowest denominator across the unit.

Special Teams

Sepulveda is a breath of freash air ... no? He netted a stellar 43.8 last night and pinned his first attempt right at the 10 yard line! We were all bristling for this guy's return, and he didn't disappoint.

The coverage units were good, considering all the new bodies out there. With Bailey, Fox, Frazier, Keenan Lewis and Frank the Tank lining up for those likely in-season duties, I think we'll be just fine!

Jeff Reed is .....................................MONEY!

But we knew that already.

I saw a major flash from Joe Burnett as a punt returner. OK, he fumbled the ball ... so what! He clearly flashed some major promise there! He's got game and he made the team last night without a doubt. With certain vets Santonio, Moore and McDonald all capable as punt returners, the Steelers are extremely deep at this spot this year! Santonio would become a very last option, which is great news!

Unfortunatley we didn't get to see Wallace return kicks because the way the game played out. His first chance was 5 yards deep and he downed it.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Defensive Line

Awesome group of 3-4 talent! Just simply awesome!

We all already knew what we have Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hoke and Kirschke.

Ziggy Hood looks like a gem of a draft pick. He's going to be a contributor right away!

The guy who really stood out last night was Ra'Shon Harris. This kid is a gamer for sure and he very well may be making this team if he keeps playing like he did last night. He stood out with his aggressive line play. This is a pleasant development .... Harris has prototypical Steelers DE size at 6'4" and 298 pounds. He looks like a huge draft steal at a position that we all understand to be aging.

Linebacker

I was concerned with how the first team defensive unit struggled to get off the field on 3rd downs last night. The Cardinals were able to sustain some drives. But we stood tall to keep them out of the endzone and off the scoreboard all together, which was impressive. Credit to the Cards and especially Hightower last night for testing this first team unit out the wazoo.

Timmons has some development to do in his new Larry Foote role as preeminent run stuffer. It will take some time and some reps for him to get it down. He's not there yet and missed some critical chances last night.

But is anyone really concerned with our starting LB's?

Bruce Davis made some real nice plays last night, including a nice INT, and all of a sudden finds himself squarely in the mix of a deep group. Players can play their way onto rosters and Davis certainly took strides last night to do exactly that! Davis even excelled on the kick coverage team late in the game. This was a pleasant developement for sure. Davis, Fox, Bailey, Frazier, Woods and Harrison is a gawdawfully deep unit of backup LB's. Somebody is going to get axed that is a very capable player. Arnold Harrison got jacked up by (was it?) Jerheme Urban. OUCH!

Cornerback

Ike and Gay had their work cut out for them against Fitz, Bolden and Breaston. That is the best pass offense in the NFL they were up against. It was a solid test to start into a new season and I felt they passed it with solid marks.

Keiwan Ratliff made his presence felt on several plays throughout the game, leading all Steelers defenders in tackles with 6. Joe Burnett showed his instincts as a playmaker. Anthony Madison showed up. Roy Lewis looked OK. Didn't see a whole lot from Keenan Lewis but I noticed he was on the first team coverage unit and was right in the mix.

Here's the real tough question ... does Deshea make this roster? ... Maybe it's time for him to step aside and make room for some of these young kids? This is going to be a very extremely tough call for Tomlin to make. Deshea may have a very good future as a d-backs coach staring him straight in the face.

Safety

Troy and Clark looked fine and they both had a serious challenge to open things up. Our starting safeties are scary good. Tyrone Carter is a lock. I didn't notice Mundy much. But I really like this kid Derrick Richardson. He's another nice rookie FA find and may play himself onto the practice squad and stick around here for some time. We have servicable depth at the safety positions.

Overall Assessment

What a challenge for a first preseason game ... the defending NFC champs! I don't doubt we would have beat this team if the starters had played all 60 minutes, but it would have been an awfully low scoring affair. It was a solid test for the veterans and they passed it in my estimation.

The purpose of preseason though is to see the new talent we just aquired through draft, through undrafted rookies, and through veteran acquisitions, as well as diagnose the players from previous drafts who are earmarked for their next steps as pro players.

Our new players did not disappoint!

The draft class looks freaking ready to play ... right across the board at key postions! Hood, Urbik, Lewis, Burnett, Wallace, Summers and Harris are all showing!

Undrafted rookies Redman, Foster and Richardson are showing! As are Capizzi, Legursky, Bailey, Roy Lewis and Anthony Madison from previous campaigns.

Veteran acquisitions McDonald and Ratliff are showing!

And players from previous drafts ... Sweed, Davis, Dixon and Sepulveda ... are showing!

Mendenhall, Mundy, Hills and Baker are hardly "busts", as they all have every bit of a chance to develop into NFL caliber players. But they all need to get to the next level in game situations for me to really be on their band wagons.

We're in pretty good shape as a team! I'm not sure I can remember when we've been in this good a shape frankly? It's been a long long time I've felt this good!

Hotrodder07
08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Good read. I agree with most of what you said. I just have a hard time declaring Redman the Steelers RB for years to come. Maybe when I see more of him, I will see where you're coming from. And I agree that Frank the Tank will be a FB for us. I couldn't stand Carey Davis any longer, so this is good.

BlastFurnace
08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Let me be curt here ...

Isaac Redman IS the Steelers future at RB.

So far, Redman is the Undrafted Preseason darling. We have them every year. We don't know if he will be Willie Parker or Dante Brown...or the unforgetable John Kuhn yet....we can't know that. I heard so many great things about Gary Russell as well. He turned out to be just another guy at RB.

Let's wait and see what Redman does before we elevate him to the future back of the Steelers.

pancake
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
No way you get a free pass on your RB statement. It seems like every couple of years we have a RB come in and do well against 3rd string guys. I hope Redman is who you think he is, but I am not going to let one half of football influence me...

Other than that good read... :helmet: :hatsoff:

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 11:05 AM
So far, Redman is the Undrafted Preseason darling. We have them every year. We don't know if he will be Willie Parker or Dante Brown...or the unforgetable John Kuhn yet....we can't know that. I heard so many great things about Gary Russell as well. He turned out to be just another guy at RB.

Let's wait and see what Redman does before we elevate him to the future back of the Steelers.

You are right ... and you are right!

It is fair what you are saying.

I am just being bold in my assessment, as I am very instinctual in my hunches.

Redman is a Fred Taylor clone ... he widens his base at impact and slides off the tackler laterally with power. It is such a rare trait in a RB that finding it is like finding a diamond in a field of clover.

Redman has "it" and as this story plays out we are all going to be pleasantly on this guy's bandwagon!

truesteelerfan
08-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Good read- Thanks for your detailed input.
I love the idea of letting Tank take over for Davis.

BlastFurnace
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Redman is a Fred Taylor clone ... he widens his base at impact and slides off the tackler laterally with power. It is such a rare trait in a RB that finding it is like finding a diamond in a field of clover.

Redman has "it" and as this story plays out we are all going to be pleasantly on this guy's bandwagon!

I think we are all hoping. We do need someone to replace Parker if he does leave. I will gladly jump on Redman's bandwagon if he can do this against an oppenents 1st Team defense. I still have hope for Mendenhall though as well.

By the way, did anyone see Logan enter in the game last night?

Nadroj 20
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
No way you get a free pass on your RB statement. It seems like every couple of years we have a RB come in and do well against 3rd string guys. I hope Redman is who you think he is, but I am not going to let one half of football influence me...

Other than that good read... :helmet: :hatsoff:

It is a good read and i agree with you about redman i have to see more from him to think hes out future running back....especially when hes our 4th or 5th now.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Until I see Redman come in on a 3rd and goal from the 1 yard line in a regular season game we are losing by 4points with 30 seconds to play, I'm not calling him "the future".

zsheik22
08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
It does seem like Redman will be used in regular season games in that scenario... He seems like hes got that short yardage down pat, something we needed desperately. It really is way too early to tell though and im sure most people wont share our opinion. It just seems to me, that this guy is going to be a keeper.

I like your assessment, and it mirrors mine. Mcdonald played fantastic, sepulveda is the man. Also looks like our draft was better than we even thought. Funny too, because Pittsburgh never buys into the draft hype or FA. They do their own thing year in and year out and make their own players.

EIDT: Im in no shape or form saying to throw out mendy.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
EIDT: Im in no shape or form saying to throw out mendy.

Me neither!

Mendenhall is and will be the #2 RB this year. I have no doubts!

I have no bones with Mendenhall. None! I like him. He's a tough runner and he runs with power!

But next year when (if) Parker is long gone ... it will be Redman #1 and Mendenhall #2 ... by virtue of Redman going to make that decision all on his own and Mendenhall won't be able to stop it! It will simply come to be! The coaches won't have a choice in the matter as this player will shoulder that choice by virtue of his undeniable skills!

43Hitman
08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Me neither!

I have no bones with Mendenhall. None! I like him. He's a tough runner and he runs with power!

But next year when (if) Parker is long gone ... it will be Redman #1 and Mendenhall #2 ... by virtue of Redman going to make that decision all on his own and Mendenhall won't be able to stop it! It will simply come to be! The coaches won't have a choice in the matter as this player will shoulder that choice by virtue of his undeniable skills!

Are you related to Redman? The way you speak of him sure seems like it. Way, way to early to anoint him the second coming. Like some other posters have already said, every year we get a camp darling, and apparently Redman is this years candidate. Now if by some miracle Redman passes everyone on the depth chart then I'll eat my share of crow, but I highly doubt this guy is going to be our #1 next season. Ludicrous if you ask me..

Bluedust
08-14-2009, 12:46 PM
It's the first preseason game.

I like your enthusiasm and all, but come on.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Are you related to Redman? The way you speak of him sure seems like it. Way, way to early to anoint him the second coming. Like some other posters have already said, every year we get a camp darling, and apparently Redman is this years candidate. Now if by some miracle Redman passes everyone on the depth chart then I'll eat my share of crow, but I highly doubt this guy is going to be our #1 next season. Ludicrous if you ask me..

You probably felt that way about Willie Parker too. :chuckle:

It's the Steelers way, if you haven't figured that one out yet. I mean .... uncovering diamonds in the rough from smaller schools.

Big Ben.

Willie Parker.

Greg Lloyd.

James Harrison.

John Stallworth.

L.C. Greenwood.

Ike Taylor.

Jack Lambert.

I don't struggle with this at all.

I looked at the kid's tapes yesterday and saw a total gem!

He even ran the wildcat formation!!!!!!

This kid has "it".

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 01:44 PM

His doesnt necessarily have as great vision as many might think. It's easy to have good vision when you arent going that fast. Isaac was NOT going anywhere near as fast as Fred Taylor or as quickly for that matter.

Slanted August
08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
OK, I have googled this guy since the day he got picked up and could not find any measurements 40 time, etc ( I know its also about having "it") but I am just curious why he was never picked up earlier by anyone in the draft. Was it the inferior competition? Is he slow for todays prototype running back? Bad hands? Off the field trouble?
I never heard of him until the Steelers picked him up where I then saw his promo on Youtube.

I guess I will try to poke around some Bowie State sports blogs to see if this guy is under the radar.

On the flipside the other practice squad running back out of LSU looks so average when I remember him running all over the place in the Sugar Bowl? Maybe he is not the quickest but he looked like he really knew how to setup his blockers and had a vision for creases like Marcus Allen when running in the SEC.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Well that was easy to find. You want to know why he wasnt picked up by anyone. Oh awesome, he chugs his feet, lowers his shoulder, stays tough. But i was right when i said he looked a bit slow. He runs a 4.76 40. Just for comparison, Isaac is 230lb running a 4.76 40. Jerome Bettis weighed what, like 250+ pounds? And i believe he ran a 4.5 or a 4.6 40. His speed is the killer for him. 40 times only tell you so much, but a RB with a 4.76 40 yard dash probably isnt going to be able to do much in this league.

BehindSteelCurtain
08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Redman is still a longshot to make the team.

43Hitman
08-14-2009, 03:12 PM
You probably felt that way about Willie Parker too. :chuckle:

It's the Steelers way, if you haven't figured that one out yet. I mean .... uncovering diamonds in the rough from smaller schools.

Big Ben.

Willie Parker.

Greg Lloyd.

James Harrison.

John Stallworth.

L.C. Greenwood.

Ike Taylor.

Jack Lambert.

I don't struggle with this at all.

I looked at the kid's tapes yesterday and saw a total gem!

He even ran the wildcat formation!!!!!!

This kid has "it".

sooo, you are related to him then? :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
your gonna look pretty foolish when he gets cut.... who exactly do you think is going to lose a roster spot to him ? :popcorn:

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Well that was easy to find. You want to know why he wasnt picked up by anyone. Oh awesome, he chugs his feet, lowers his shoulder, stays tough. But i was right when i said he looked a bit slow. He runs a 4.76 40. Just for comparison, Isaac is 230lb running a 4.76 40. Jerome Bettis weighed what, like 250+ pounds? And i believe he ran a 4.5 or a 4.6 40. His speed is the killer for him. 40 times only tell you so much, but a RB with a 4.76 40 yard dash probably isnt going to be able to do much in this league.

Not hard to have good vision in slow motion I suppose... :chuckle:

43Hitman
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Like I said earlier, if the guy proves to take the number one spot next year(lmao), I'll eat a big bowl of crow soup. It ain't happening though...and I'll put a $20 donation to the site on it.:cash

SteelLloyd95
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I think that Mendenhall could have done the same stuff that Redman did. It seemed to me that our 2nd string O-line was superior to the Cards 2nd defense, whereas our 1st line that Mendenhall worked with was NOT creating any good holes for Mendy. I did like how Redman broke tackles, he looked good, but again I think you put Mendy in and he is doing similar things at that point in the game.

Please get rid of Carey Davis.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 05:09 PM

"Knowshon Moreno, who could be the first running back taken in the draft, attracted much attention while posting times of 4.60 and 4.63 in the 40-yard dash. “This atmosphere is not really as stressful as the combine,” Moreno said. “It was good to get here and be with your teammates. It’s more relaxed, but it’s still a work day.” I still think a lot of scouts and coaches are going to be turned off by his slow 40-times. You have to go back to 2000 to find a back chosen in the first round who ran slower than Moreno."

Redman's low in the 40 during his Pro Day was 4.64. His high time of 4.84 was slow by all means, but we don't know what may have caused that? We weren't there! Maybe a Steelers scout told him to slow it down so he could come to Pittsburgh and compete with Mendenhall ... :chuckle:

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=0

Shonn Green ran a 4.65.

Don't over-concern yourselves with Redman's speed.

He has "it" and I'd rather have "it" than be fast! :toofunny:

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Mendy's first real game back in almost a year and he's being called a bust compared to some D-2 RB who had a couple nice runs against 2nd and 3rd string CARDINALS?

Really?

Ok...whatever...

I think I may wait another game or two before I make ANY kind of judgment on Mendy's TRUE ability to play RB at this level.

43Hitman
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Like I said earlier, if the guy proves to take the number one spot next year(lmao), I'll eat a big bowl of crow soup. It ain't happening though...and I'll put a $20 donation to the site on it.:cash

Bet is still up if you want Lakelander.:deal:

BehindSteelCurtain
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I bet we never here from this tool again after Redman doesn't even make the team.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Mendy's first real game back in almost a year and he's being called a bust compared to some D-2 RB who had a couple nice runs against 2nd and 3rd string CARDINALS?

Really?

Ok...whatever...

I think I may wait another game or two before I make ANY kind of judgment on Mendy's TRUE ability to play RB at this level.

Easy guy.

I've seen what Mendenhall can do. I'm still waiting for this guy to impress me! ... I guess he's impressed you though http://emoticons4u.com/crazy/1196.gif

I never called Mendenhall a "bust"

And I never said he was going to lose his #2 billing this season or next!

What I did say is that from a purely talent perspective it is awfully clear that Redman has more pure RB savvy than does Mendenhall.

Redman is bigger, niftier, more sudden, a better breaker of tackles and has way more lateral acceleration. He's got a real sense for the game.

Mendenhall is a straight ahead runner. he gets hit and falls to the turf.

Redman will most likely be a reserve this year and may not even suit up.

Mendenhall will be our guy off the bench (whether we like his production or not).

But next year, Redman will be given a viable chance to take on Mendenhall in camp and win the job if he stays the current course. And either way, it seems pretty fortunate that we have this guy in our camp and he's not in some other team's camp.

This story hasn't even unfolded yet ....

Redman may get his chance against #1 defenses soon enough .... I can't wait to see it!

Right now he leads the NFL in rushing TD's! :chuckle:

BehindSteelCurtain
08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Easy guy.

I've seen what Mendenhall can do. I'm still waiting for this guy to impress me! ... I guess he's impressed you though http://emoticons4u.com/crazy/1196.gif

What I did say is that from a purely talent perspective it is awfully clear that Redman has more pure RB savvy than does Mendenhall.

Redman is bigger, niftier, more sudden, a better breaker of tackles and has way more lateral acceleration. He's got a real sense for the game.

Mendenhall will be our guy off the bench (whether we like his production or not).

But next year, Redman will be given a viable chance to take on Mendenhall in camp and win the job if he stays the current course. And either way, it seems pretty fortunate that we have this guy in our camp and he's not in some other team's camp.

Redman may get his chance against #1 defenses soon enough .... I can't wait to see it!

Right now he leads the NFL in rushing TD's! :chuckle:

Your making the statement that Redman is better than Mendy because of 1 pre-season game?

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Your making the statement that Redman is better than Mendy because of 1 pre-season game?

No.

And you didn't read my posts did you?

:wave:

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm saying that Redman is a better RB than Mendenhall in spite of 1 pre-season game. :chuckle:

SteelersinCA
08-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I disagree with you QB assessment. Ben has a great long ball, one of the best in the game. Not worried about it at all. As far as RB's, not even worried.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I disagree with you QB assessment. Ben has a great long ball, one of the best in the game. Not worried about it at all. As far as RB's, not even worried.

Actually, I do disagree there. He has thrown short way too many times over his career. He seems to not realize the speed he has with is receivers. I can remember two or three passes in the playoffs alone last year that had Ben put just another few yards on the ball, it would have been a completion.

But IMO, I'll take Ben as the full QB package over anyone in the game today for the team he has to work with.

The Lakelander
08-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Well he's got to get that timing down on those deep routes.

That Wallace kid is going to be open deep quite a bit this year.

How do you cover a 5 man spread with Hines, Heath, Santonio, Sweed and Wallace? ... I want to know what team has that ability?

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Well he's got to get that timing down on those deep routes.

That Wallace kid is going to be open deep quite a bit this year.

How do you cover a 5 man spread with Hines, Heath, Santonio, Sweed and Wallace? ... I want to know what team has that ability?

Its simple you sack Big Ben, note that 5 wide(might be wrong going off memory) that forced Ben to run to avoid a safety.

I dont trust the line enough for that 5 wide stuff.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 03:30 AM
I bet we never here from this tool again after Redman doesn't even make the team.

I'm a member since 2006. I'm not going anywhere if I'm wrong about this kid. I can live with myself if I'm wrong. You can too!

You guys get way too bent when someone has a differing opinion.

I'm a tool? :thumbsup:

That's real generous man! Can't you go a little lower for me please? :chuckle:

Over at our fan site we treat trolls and Patriots fans this way ... not diehards!

You guys should be a little less considerate towards one another!

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Easy guy.

Right now he leads the NFL in rushing TD's! :chuckle: and you gatherd all this off 10 carries and 32 yards huh ??? i guess it is a lil easier to be "niffty", against guys who'll be askin if you want fries with that in a few weeks....:coffee:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 04:14 AM
and you gatherd all this off 10 carries and 32 yards huh ??? i guess it is a lil easier to be "niffty", against guys who'll be askin if you want fries with that in a few weeks....:coffee:

Hey, that's fine.

You have your opinion!

I respect that.

I have mine.

You don't respect that!

Tell me Masterof Puppets ... does Redman make this team?

Yes or no?

X-Terminator
08-15-2009, 06:25 AM
John Kuhn, v. 2.0...

Galax Steeler
08-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Good read- Thanks for your detailed input.
I love the idea of letting Tank take over for Davis.

I think we are all waiting for that day to come.:applaudit:

43Hitman
08-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey, that's fine.

You have your opinion!

I respect that.

I have mine.

You don't respect that!

Tell me Masterof Puppets ... does Redman make this team?

Yes or no?

You gonna take my bet? Yes or No?

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Yes.

I'll stand by my thoughts on $20 bucks!

If Redman starts next season over Mendenhall you can eat some crow to the tune of $20 site donation.

If Mendenhall starts next season over Redman I'll eat the crow and donate $20 to this site!

If Parker re-signs and stays the featured RB, we both lose! And we both donate $10 to this site! Because Mendenhall, being a 1st round pick should have beaten out an oft-injured journeyman undrafted free agent by his 3rd full season ... or he is just plain ordinary!

You in?

Yes or no?

43Hitman
08-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Yes.

I'll stand by my thoughts on $20 bucks!

If Redman starts next season over Mendenhall you can eat some crow to the tune of $20 site donation.

If Mendenhall starts next season over Redman I'll eat the crow and donate $20 to this site!

If Parker re-signs and stays the featured RB, we both lose! And we both donate $10 to this site! Because Mendenhall, being a 1st round pick should have beaten out an oft-injured journeyman undrafted free agent by his 3rd full season ... or he is just plain ordinary!

You in?

Yes or no?

Sure, except for the Willie part. I never said Willie wouldn't be the starter next year, you did. So I won't pay on that part of it. This is about Redman starting next year over Mendenhall.

Edit: Remember you're the one that said Redman would be our STARTING rb next season..that is what I am contesting.

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Sure, except for the Willie part. I never said Willie wouldn't be the starter next year, you did. So I won't pay on that part of it. This is about Redman starting next year over Mendenhall.

Wow, you're sure willing to take on some risk here .... :chuckle:

Take my bet the way I laid it out and you got a bet.

Or better yet .. if you are so sure about me being wrong on this that you had to man up and bet against me to prove a point .... then man up! ... If Mendenhall starts over Redman next year I'll pay my $20. If Redman steals away the starting job from Mendenhall, you pay in $30. If Parker resigns and starts .... bet is voided.

That is a bet that clearly gives you far better odds.

Yes or no?

Steeldude
08-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Ben has a great long ball, one of the best in the game

not to take anything away from BR, but he has one of the worst long balls in the NFL. his passes are often short and hanging.

Steeldude
08-15-2009, 08:31 AM

me's thinks 43hitman has figured out a way to make people support the site by betting $teelers dollars :smile:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 08:31 AM
not to take anything away from BR, but he has one of the worst long balls in the NFL. his passes are often short and hanging.

I agree. Ben's long ball is far from pretty.

43Hitman
08-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Wow, you're sure willing to take on some risk here .... :chuckle:

Take my bet the way I laid it out and you got a bet.

Or better yet .. if you are so sure about me being wrong on this that you had to man up and bet against me to prove a point .... then man up! ... If Mendenhall starts over Redman next year I'll pay my $20. If Redman steals away the starting job from Mendenhall, you pay in $30. If Parker resigns and starts .... bet is voided.

That is a bet that clearly gives you far better odds.

Yes or no?

Deal..you welch and we'll label you as a troll. :coffee:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 08:53 AM
:laughing: I'm no troll. And I'm no welch! And $20 to a good cause is no prob any way it is diced and sliced.

I win though and I should also be granted full star status on here for being so bold and so totally willing to hang such a bold assessment on a UDA so definitively and so accurately!

I'm going out on the line here man!

43Hitman
08-15-2009, 08:58 AM
:laughing: I'm no troll. And I'm no welch! And $20 to a good cause is no prob any way it is diced and sliced.

I win though and I should also be granted full star status on here for being so bold and so totally willing to hang such a bold assessment on a UDA so definitively and so accurately!

Wth are you talking about? Post as many times as everyone else to earn your stars....

revefsreleets
08-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm confused by one thing here: If Redmon has all these intangibles, such field vision and explosion, why didn't he rush for 100 yards on 10 carries instead of only 32?

I will give him some credit...the competition he faced in game conditions is clearly the best he's ever seen, but the fact remains probably 85% of the guys he saw will either be out of the NFL or on practice squads by the second week of September, while the guys MENDENHALL faced will all be starting.

The bottom line? If Mendenhall was playing against that level of competition, I expect he'd have had better numbers, looked MORE powerful and explosive, and would also have scored a couple times. It's extremely difficult to judge a back's performance without first filtering it against the competition level he's playing at.

Also, I EXPECT Mendy to be a little tentative at first. He's not playing to secure a position, and he's just coming off a season ending injury. I'm not suggesting he's just going to phone it in, but I also think he's more interested in knocking rust off and acclimating himself back into the game. He's probably going at about 80% right now, and that's probably with the coaches blessing.

Meanwhile Redmon is going at 110%, leaving it all on the filed every single play, desperately trying to make a roster. He earned himself some looks earlier in the game next week against a whole tier higher competition. I expect if he makes it up into the starting lineup in preseason a lot of the luster will rub off and his clear competitive advantage will level out.

That's not to say he isn't a powerful runner, and he may BE able to fill the role of short yardage/goal line back. But there is way too little data to go on at this point in that regard.

43Hitman
08-15-2009, 11:32 AM
me's thinks 43hitman has figured out a way to make people support the site by betting $teelers dollars :smile:

Hey, its a great site so I might as well do what I can to keep it funded. :smile: Especially if it's on the backs of the loud and c o c k y.:chuckle:

SteelTalons
08-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Yeah your not really a Troll. Since I don't think your pissing anyone off your just in a harmless debate over Redman. We are saying we need to see more; your saying he's gonna be the next greatest thing since sliced bread.

Pulled the bandwagon out of barn a little early for all this. :flap:

revefsreleets
08-15-2009, 01:17 PM
On a related note, anybody rushing out and dumping 3 bills on their authentic Isaac Redmon jerseys today?

No?

BlastFurnace
08-16-2009, 07:11 AM
I wasn't around for Kuhn's ascension to Legend status, but does anyone think that Redman can overtake him?...or is Kuhn cemented as the Legend of all Legends?

revefsreleets
08-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I wasn't around for Kuhn's ascension to Legend status, but does anyone think that Redman can overtake him?...or is Kuhn cemented as the Legend of all Legends?

Kuhn played last night in Green Bay against the Browns. I saw him block all 11 Browns on a kick return BY HIMSELF! The other 9 Packers just ran over to the sideline...

Redmon is a first ballot LOCK for the preseason Hall of Fame!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
On a related note, anybody rushing out and dumping 3 bills on their authentic Isaac Redmon jerseys today?

No?

:rofl:

Only the guy with Walter Young jersey looking to upgrade:chuckle:

Bens Head
09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Bump. Redman doesn't have "it"... lol. Pay up!:rofl:

revefsreleets
09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Zoinks!

I guess glide and pad level running and explosiveness equate to PS fodder...

Seriously, Redman is a nice back with some potential. But I think he'll be a Brown before the end of this week (and it's Friday already).

Bluedust
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
He played well, he deserves to go to a team where he'll get time to play.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
:nana:..... :flipoff: .....:moon: ......:toofunny: .....thanks for ALL your EXPERT insight .. stop by next year and give us more of your infinite football knowledge and wisdom....:rofl:

i hope your feeling as foolish as i predicted you would be .....:flap: ...PAY UP SUCKA !!!:sofunny:

Bens Head
09-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Me neither!

:applaudit: You're very "instinctual in your hunches"... :laughing: Stick to your bleacherreport garbage and Mac and Wife...

Preacher
09-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Kuhn is it... since many had annointed him the second coming of Bettis.

ricksteelers55
09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Come on.....the guy made some predictions after 1 preseason games.

Easier to make no mistakes when you dont do anything.

While I was one of those who thought that Redman was ''the new Kuhn'' because of all the hype based on a few goal line drills and 1 preseason game I still think he could have make that team(and I say it again Im not in the Redman bandwagon)

Altough I was also one of the few to say that Frank Summers is more valuable to this team than Redman because of all the things he can bring to the team.

anyway stop making fun of someone who had the guts to say something.

Bens Head
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
once he pays up, it's all good. Welch, and he's a loser.:popcorn:

Preacher
09-04-2009, 05:40 PM
once he pays up, it's all good. Welch, and he's a loser.:popcorn:

You've been here all of four posts...and already jumping on Lakelander :chuckle:

Makes me think you have been here before :mg:

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 05:51 PM
You've been here all of four posts...and already jumping on Lakelander :chuckle:

Makes me think you have been here before :mg:

Yeah Preacher ... it's probably psychoward. He's the only one who knew I hang my hat at Mac and Wife.

Welch this :jerkit: ... whoever you are coward!

Bens Head
09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
So are you gonna honor your bet? :popcorn:

theplatypus
09-04-2009, 06:54 PM
So are you gonna honor your bet? :popcorn:

If I remember correctly his bet was that Redman would be #1 next year. So the end result of his bet doesn't actually come to fruition until next year. Ben's Head, now that I look you're just a freaking tool. You've got 5 posts and everyone of them is jumping on Lakelander's shit. Die in a fire.

Holyshit! There's blood in the water everyone hurry up and jump on Lakelander for being wrong.

SteelTalons
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
If I remember correctly his bet was that Redman would be #1 next year. So the end result of his bet doesn't actually come to fruition until next year. Ben's Head, now that I look you're just a freaking tool. You've got 5 posts and everyone of them is jumping on Lakelander's shit. Die in a fire.

Holyshit! There's blood in the water everyone hurry up and jump on Lakelander for being wrong.

Based off what the dude knows he has another account. This is just his harass Lakelander account. :laughing:

The issue was Lakelander was he had a bad case of Kuhn-syndrome, and because of which he overrated a rookie player claiming the guy is the best thing he's seen in a long time. And the disease ends with the brutal reality the guy aint shit by a car washer...

NEXT! :coffee: :chuckle:

Thats why people are heckling, plus Lakelander said he'd eat his crow if he was wrong, now here comes to buffet.

tony hipchest
09-04-2009, 08:19 PM
i appreciate lakelanders assessment and some of it proved to be true. he definitely showed some capabilities, and seemed to be getting better.

i think i liked redman better than dookie, and most certainly better than russell.

problem is we are now deeper than shit at the position, whereas in the years since jerome retired, we werent.

my only question in regards to redman (which i think i posed in this thread) were what his football smarts were (FBI).

while he mightve shown flashes in his limeted opportunities, we have no idea of how much of the playbook he was capable of soaking in.

i definitely hopes he makes the practice squad so we can find out.

as it is, logan will probably touch the ball more times than all of our backs not named parker or mendenhall.

kick ass return specialist > goal line back

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 08:35 PM
The issue was Lakelander was he had a bad case of Kuhn-syndrome, and because of which he overrated a rookie player claiming the guy is the best thing he's seen in a long time. And the disease ends with the brutal reality the guy aint shit by a car washer...

Redman played well enough to win a roster spot and last night there were no less than 10-12 on here suggesting the same.

There's no comparison between Redman and Kuhn ... NONE! ... they aren't in the same universe.

Nothing's changed with my assessment of Redman. As far as I'm concerned, he is a more skilled, more patient runner than Mendenhall, and he runs with more pure talent and with much more authority.

Every time Redman was handed the ball inside the 10 yard line in a live game or in practice, he scored! ... 3 live game TD's against opposing teams ... 7 practice TD's out of 10 in goalline drills against our own defense.

I'm still convinced Mendenhall is going to bust. He was outplayed by an undrafted rookie from an unheard of college who came to camp with no previous understanding of the playbook. Pathetic!

X-Terminator
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Redman played well enough to win a roster spot and last night there were no less than 10-12 on here suggesting the same.

There's no comparison between Redman and Kuhn ... NONE! ... they aren't in the same universe.

Nothing's changed with my assessment of Redman. As far as I'm concerned, he is a more skilled, more patient runner than Mendenhall, and he runs with more pure talent and with much more authority.

Every time Redman was handed the ball inside the 10 yard line in a live game or in practice, he scored! ... 3 live game TD's against opposing teams ... 7 practice TD's out of 10 in goalline drills against our own defense.

I'm still convinced Mendenhall is going to bust. He was outplayed by an undrafted rookie from an unheard of college who came to camp with no previous understanding of the playbook. Pathetic!

Well, it's pretty obvious there's no comparison between Kuhn and Redman. One is playing in the NFL right now, and one isn't. You guess which one.

Anyway, I'm not going to bust your balls. I thought Redman was going to make it after last night's performance, but it didn't happen. I still do not agree, however, that he is the second-coming of Fred Taylor that you have suggested.

And I'm not going to say one way or the other on Mendenhall. I need to see more out of him. He didn't really get a lot of work in the preseason except for the 3rd game, and from what I understand, he did OK. Let's see how he does this season before we start calling him a bust, shall we?

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Well, it's pretty obvious there's no comparison between Kuhn and Redman. One is playing in the NFL right now, and one isn't. You guess which one.

Anyway, I'm not going to bust your balls. I thought Redman was going to make it after last night's performance, but it didn't happen. I still do not agree, however, that he is the second-coming of Fred Taylor that you have suggested.

And I'm not going to say one way or the other on Mendenhall. I need to see more out of him. He didn't really get a lot of work in the preseason except for the 3rd game, and from what I understand, he did OK. Let's see how he does this season before we start calling him a bust, shall we?

Read what I wrote ...

BlastFurnace
09-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Admittedly, Redman won me over as time went on. I would bet if Redman was a 1st Rounder and Mendenhall was a RFA, the fortunes for Redman may have been different.

Mendenhall has not looked that impressive at any time for us. I'm not saying he's a bust, but I have seen Felix Jones (Taken 1 pick before Mendenhall) play a lot out here in Dallas...and Jones is 10x better than Mendenhall. As Tomlin would say, Mendenhall's story is not complete, but the chapters to come need to be much better than the Introduction.

BigBenFn7
09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey, the man had an opinion and put it out there. Nothing wrong with that.

revefsreleets
09-05-2009, 06:48 AM
The fact that we are deep as RB is being used an excuse as to why he didn't make the team...only problem is, the very REASON the more level-headed amongst us predicted that he'd probably end up on the PS IS the depth at the position.

LO at the UFN clones predicting Mendy busting out...can the guy get a hundred carries in games that count before you make an assessment?

Also, after reading WHY people think he's a bust, I mean analyzing that analysis, I have to say, I'm not sure the people making these bold prediction about the short shelf life on Mendenhall have even really seen him play. How could they? Their assessments are like 90% invalid....

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Funny that there is all this about.........the #4 RB on the depth chart.

I'm pretty happy with Parker, Mendenhall and Moore. Even Logan on the roster is a bonus for the backfield. Redman or Summers was just gonna wear sweatpants most of the season anyways.

Watch Mendenhall this season. He looked good in the preseason and flashed the stuff that made him a #1 pick.

I think Mendenhall will have a better season than Darren McFadden.

mmalone
09-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Funny that there is all this about.........the #4 RB on the depth chart.

I'm pretty happy with Parker, Mendenhall and Moore. Even Logan on the roster is a bonus for the backfield. Redman or Summers was just gonna wear sweatpants most of the season anyways.

Watch Mendenhall this season. He looked good in the preseason and flashed the stuff that made him a #1 pick.

I think Mendenhall will have a better season than Darren McFadden.

Logan RB/WR/KR took Vincent/Redman's RB spot.....

Summers the FB took Davis's the FB spot...

Summers is the FB he will play..

Mendenhall i see having a great year...... Parker will be fine also, he just needs to stay out of the doctors office... he needs to play 16 games.

Its been a while he played a full season...

We have the tools for Ben to play some great offense....

5 days to show it off.

:tt03: