PDA

View Full Version : Bad Officiating

7SteelGal43
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Someone, anyone.....tell me something please. I've been an NFL fan and a member of Steeler Nation since the mid 70s. Serously. Are WE the only fan base that does not resort to blaming the refs for a loss ? Are we the only fan base that does not pass the blame to somewhere other than our players or coaches ? Are we the only fan base that isn't so completely homerized ? Are we the only fan base, who after a loss, immediatley starts talking about what OUR TEAM did or didn't do that could've prevented the loss ? :tt03:

Jackal
08-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, pretty much we're the only fanbase who isn't a whiny bunch of pussies. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that, since we do win consistently, we never have to develop massive conspiracy theories to comfort us. It may also be that a sense of accountability and responsibility is endemic to the Pittsburgh area, just like our noted work ethic, and that people from other areas lack similar values.

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Well there was a little bit of bad officiating. Anthony Madison should've definetely had that interception.

7SteelGal43
08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah, pretty much we're the only fanbase who isn't a whiny bunch of pussies. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that, since we do win consistently, we never have to develop massive conspiracy theories to comfort us. It may also be that a sense of accountability and responsibility is endemic to the Pittsburgh area, just like our noted work ethic, and that people from other areas lack similar values.

Very valid points, Jackal. And to "call myself out", after starting this thread, I thought, what I SHOULD have said was "aren't you proud that as a fan base we don't resort to such tactics". I think my original post was 'colored' by recent rants by teams we've played and beaten.

As far as winning consistantly helping to ward off that mentality, I believe you are spot on.

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, pretty much. I mean, we could go on and on about the dozens and dozens of bad calls and blatantly missed calls that we've been on the business end of over the past decade, from the "12 men on the field that wasn't," to the coin toss in Detroit, to Troy's INT being ripped off against the Colts in the '05 playoffs, up to Ben's clear TD being taken off the board in SB XLIII. But we don't. Unlike other teams, our fans have dignity and respect, and won't blame losses on poor officiating. We're better than that. And I disagree on one point - even if the Steelers weren't as successful as they've been, our mentality would not change.

HometownGal
08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
NFL refs are incompetent boobs. That is all. :couch: :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
The only loss I solely blame on the refs is the Thanksgiving day loss to Detroit years back.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
haha the only ref call I can remember is the Troy INT against the Colts. It was just so wrong, I wasn't as mad as I was in absolute disbelief. Haha "Since number 43 did not get on his feet after catching the ball, it is an incomplete pass." Or something like that. Anyways it led to "The Tackle" so I can't complain much.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Nope... Not at all, I can recall a NUMBER of threads where people were blaming the refs for all types of things. Go read the game-day threads.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
You know the Madison call was bad because even the guys in the booth called them on that one, and they usually straddle the fence...

Bad reffing is just another hurdle to jump over, like injuries or bad weather...

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
You know the Madison call was bad because even the guys in the booth called them on that one, and they usually straddle the fence...

Bad reffing is just another hurdle to jump over, like injuries or bad weather...

Yep... Great teams put themselves in a situation where they can overcome bad calls. good teams don't.

stillers4me
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Yep... Great teams put themselves in a situation where they can overcome bad calls. good teams don't.

You beat me to it, Preacher. There will always be bad calls and we will always complain about them, but Cowher taught both he players and the fans to worry about the things you can control and forget about what you can't. Good teams will find a way to win despite bad calls. Tomlin continues with the same message.

Nadroj 20
08-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Should have been offensive pass interference on madison becasue the guy held his other arm is the reason he had to make the one handed catch which by the way was a nice catch lol

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, pretty much. I mean, we could go on and on about the dozens and dozens of bad calls and blatantly missed calls that we've been on the business end of over the past decade, from the "12 men on the field that wasn't," to the coin toss in Detroit, to Troy's INT being ripped off against the Colts in the '05 playoffs, up to Ben's clear TD being taken off the board in SB XLIII. But we don't. Unlike other teams, our fans have dignity and respect, and won't blame losses on poor officiating. We're better than that. And I disagree on one point - even if the Steelers weren't as successful as they've been, our mentality would not change.

Lol. To be fair though, we WON all of those games. So that's easy for us to say. What about when we lose?

stillers4me
08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Lol. To be fair though, we WON all of those games. So that's easy for us to say. What about when we lose?

Willie and Ariens suck. :wink02:

X-Terminator
08-14-2009, 09:56 PM

We lost the coin-toss game. And even then, I don't recall a whole lot of bitching from the fans about it.

fansince'76
08-14-2009, 10:14 PM

I posted this after the loss in the '07 WC game to the Jags in response to complaints about a missed holding call on Garrard's 32-yard run which put the Jags in position for the winning FG:

We should have had a spy on Garrard, and that, more than any call or non-call, killed us. I'll leave whining about the refs to Squawks fans.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=352926#post352926

I maintained it then, I maintain it now, and have always maintained the same thing: people who blame the refs for a loss are gutless pussies, pure and simple.

LVSteelersfan
08-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I never blame the refs for losses although it does happen. Most of the times losses are attributed to poor play in a certain part of a game. Missing 1 yard tds on 4th down. Things like that. Did anyone else notice that blatant noncall when Ben was tackled by the player laying on the ground last night? Here we go with the double standard again. Whiny a$$ teams like the Patsies, Colts, Chargers, Cowboys, etc will get the Brady call. Ben will not. And that is what irritates me most about the refs. Roughing Ben is allowed by Goodell and his crooked cronies.

Preacher
08-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I posted this after the loss in the '07 WC game to the Jags in response to complaints about a missed holding call on Garrard's 32-yard run which put the Jags in position for the winning FG:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=352926#post352926

I maintained it then, I maintain it now, and have always maintained the same thing: people who blame the refs for a loss are gutless pussies, pure and simple.

Thanks FS for that link... I went back to that thread and found my post...

I agree completely. I have seen it many times. I also agree with you that good teams overcome things like that. We lost the game, not the refs. Good post.

Pretty consistent with what I have said here...

Then again, look at all the people whining and complaining about reffing in that thread... It made me post this:

Exactly.

With all this whining.. I am starting to be a little ashamed of Steeler nation. BUTCH UP.

There are a number here who don't blame the refs... but if you look at that thread. THere are a number who do. I think we exagerate a little about how the Steeler fan base doesn't make excuses... cause that thread sure had a bunch of them.

7SteelGal43
08-14-2009, 11:41 PM
haha the only ref call I can remember is the Troy INT against the Colts. It was just so wrong, I wasn't as mad as I was in absolute disbelief. Haha "Since number 43 did not get on his feet after catching the ball, it is an incomplete pass." Or something like that. Anyways it led to "The Tackle" so I can't complain much.

Wow...the more I read you guys post, the more I have to "check myself". That was a horrible call. I mean, if we'd lost that game, I'd probably be whining like a Seasquawks fan.

Hotrodder07
08-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Every fan blames the refs for a bad call one time or another. The difference, in my opinion, is that Steelers fans don't hang on to the bad calls. Bad calls happen, and we cannot do anything about them. We accept that there was a bad call, but then we let it go, because there's nothing we can do about it. We understand that if the team played better earlier in the game, then the ref would not even have a chance to influence the game. Other fans, like Seattles, are still whining and complaining about Superbowl XL. They need to let it go.

Galax Steeler
08-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Well there was a little bit of bad officiating. Anthony Madison should've definetely had that interception.

I don't know how they missed that call that was clearly offensive pass interferance.

solardave
08-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Let me add one more bad call that almost cost us a ring. The Safety call in XLIII. Hartwig was pancaked for sure.He didn't even grab the guys jersey. It was embarrassing for him I'm sure but that was in no way holding in the endzone.

Godfather
08-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Every fan blames the refs for a bad call one time or another. The difference, in my opinion, is that Steelers fans don't hang on to the bad calls. Bad calls happen, and we cannot do anything about them. We accept that there was a bad call, but then we let it go, because there's nothing we can do about it. We understand that if the team played better earlier in the game, then the ref would not even have a chance to influence the game. Other fans, like Seattles, are still whining and complaining about Superbowl XL. They need to let it go.

I agree. The bad thing is the fans who whine about the zebras get noticed. When Seattle or Arizona fans blame the refs and we don't, we get punished. It causes people to see our team's wins as tainted. :banging:

pancake
08-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Should have been offensive pass interference on madison becasue the guy held his other arm is the reason he had to make the one handed catch which by the way was a nice catch lol

It was a great catch. We saw the play in slow motion and could easliy see it was the offensive guy who was making the pass interference, but at full speed, I say it was hard to tell and not to mention the ref might have had a bad angel. I say he gets his butt chewed when the officals review their game. That is the only call that stands out that I thought was bad... JMO